The Food Topic #Nom nOm noM

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: The Food Topic #Nom nOm noM

Post by Sleet »

When you say "creamy," do you mean a white sauce? I'm not a fan.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

No, it's definitely a creamy tomato sauce. It's sort of orange, and quite different from alfredo sauce or something similar.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:When you say "creamy," do you mean a white sauce? I'm not a fan.
Really? Me either! Ever since I got food poisoning from some Swedish meatballs (and my mom made some kind of white sauce with them), I haven't ever been able to eat most foods with a white-based sauce since then. It's not the taste, it's the smell that does me in.

I've got fond memories of that day: My iPod was broken, and we were driving 25 miles to the nearest Apple Store. I started getting queasy in the store, and during the ride home, I got cozy with my dad's maintenance bucket that he uses to paint houses with. -_-

Also, freshly cut cucumbers with vinegar and salt & pepper are delicious. :3

Hey GunRacer, I tried that popcorn recipe.... It was okay, but it wasn't a lightly spicy combination like I was expecting. Thanks for sharing though!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.

Post by 0404 »

I made Gunracer's popcorn sauce, unfortunatly I forgot that I ran out of popcorn. so I just made sandvich out of it. :(
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Roast Beef!

And I have ten pounds of it!

(4.5 kg)
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Beagle: Oops! Guess I shoulda mentioned that the chili sauce is really spicy, even for someone as used to spicy foods as I am. That's why its a really good idea to make your own natural popcorn and then add butter to it-- all the fat helps cut the capsaicin of the chilis.

Texascat: So what sort of meat and veggies did you put on your sandwich?

RBH: Herbed mayo is really good with roast beef. If you like mayo, that is.

Post by 0404 »

well, usualy salted bacon, letteuce, yellow cheese, egg and pickle. I never get bored of this recipe. I wish I can cook homemade popcorn.

by the way, I just had this
nom, soooo satisfying.....

tip egg works really well with noddle above. just crack an egg in to noodle while boiling/cooking it, also you can add a cheese in to bowl of noodle.
Last edited by 0404 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McFly

Post by McFly »

Ramen with an egg is my favorite meal. ;)

Post by 0404 »

Right, lets talk about some of cultural/regional foods. like, ummm, georgia peach salad, Texas cream gravy steak, chinese noodle, Italian pepperoni Pizza... things like that.
Last edited by 0404 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

grits, chicken fried steak,and biscuits and chicken gravy. also dont forget the applesauce. my favorite southern meal.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

GunRacer wrote:Beagle: Oops! Guess I shoulda mentioned that the chili sauce is really spicy, even for someone as used to spicy foods as I am. That's why its a really good idea to make your own natural popcorn and then add butter to it-- all the fat helps cut the capsaicin of the chilis.
No, I freaking love spicy food. It wasn't spicy enough for me is what I'm saying. Texaspete is a staple condiment in my diet, and I love Tobasco sauce as well.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Oh.

Then you just weren't using enough, maybe? Or was the popcorn getting too soggy? Hope future tries go better for you.

And on the topic of regional foods, beef fajitas.

Post by 0404 »

Wait a scond..... https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=3&t=1623 :shock: :shock:
you closing this topic Sleet? :cry:
Give some credit to me. :lol:
Last edited by 0404 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Merging actually.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Started cooking burgers at office. Today, breaded chicken cullet with cheese and tartare sauce. nommy nommy!
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Ah, Valerio, you remind me of lunch breaks when I was in Italy. The brief time I was there we had an hour and a half for lunch and we went to this fantastic little restaurant at a petrol/gas station. Very good food in generous quantities, and always ended in a delicious shot of espresso.

Here in America, I get half an hour, it's usually a sandwich, and the coffee is awful. Lunch is something you should be able to take the time to enjoy.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

One of my favorite snack foods is the flavor blasted gold fish crackers. My gosh those are good... If you get a carton of those near me, it'll be gone in a matter of minutes. The huge carton is hard for me to stay out of too. Mom had to make me put them up one time because I was eating too much at one time.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like the regular ones. I eat those so much. The flavor blasted variety is alright, I guess, but I don't particularly enjoy them as much.
Oblivious Adobo

Post by Oblivious Adobo »

My favorite food is adobo with rice.
I'm like a ninja; only loud and annoying.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:I like the regular ones. I eat those so much. The flavor blasted variety is alright, I guess, but I don't particularly enjoy them as much.
They have have to be the cheddar cheese flavored ones though. That's the best.

Does anyone like sushi?
------------------

McFly

Post by McFly »

Love it. ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Inali wrote:
Sleet wrote:I like the regular ones. I eat those so much. The flavor blasted variety is alright, I guess, but I don't particularly enjoy them as much.
That's what I meant. Not those non-cheese ones.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:
Inali wrote:
That's what I meant. Not those non-cheese ones.

And those stupid flavors like birthday cake and stuff?.... Eww...

@Mcfly- You really need to try a Godzilla Roll. It's pretty epic.
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I meant the regular, "flavorless" ones. Those aren't bad but they aren't as good as the cheddar ones.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

GunRacer wrote:Oh.

Then you just weren't using enough, maybe? Or was the popcorn getting too soggy? Hope future tries go better for you.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snappy. I was in a bit of an ill mood for about two weeks or so.

I'm not really sure. Knowing me, I might have made it wrong. I'm kind of horrible at cooking.
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Cooked up some Tilapia tonight. So delicate and so delicious. Surprised how well it went with Sierra Nevada Summerfest.

But I know that fish could have been better. Who's got some superb methods of making fish the best tasting food in the world?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I had Red Robin's ghost chili sauce yesterday with my dinner. Either I have a natural tolerance of spiciness, or it was a very dilute sauce. Because the ghost chili is allegedly the hottest pepper in the world, and yet it barely affected me.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I'd say it was the latter.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW

Post by 0404 »

Tex-Mex and Mexican food =just so awsome. I went to some local Mex/Tex-Mex food place.
It wasn't like Tacobell, I had to actualy wait for 15min to get a one food, and it tasted like food. Not factory made. I have No idea what I ate but it was simply good. Everything looked like Taco but they each had different name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Taco Bell isn't even Tex-Mex. It's just... Taco Bell.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Taco Bell is to mexican restaurants what McDonald's is to Red Robin
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Beagle: You didn't sound snappy or anything-- glad to hear you're feeling better now, though.

Dan: Well, I don't know a ton about fish... but those cedar grilling planks will supposedly give you some good fish if you do your part.

TC: Taco Bell? No thanks. Taco Cabana, however, is great for a quick fajita fix on the go. Local places are, of course, still the best-- plus, you get to pack in the free chips and salsa while you wait for your order.
McFly

Post by McFly »

Haven't eaten Taco Bell in years.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Taco Bell is to mexican restaurants what McDonald's is to Red Robin
Bad comparison. McDonald's and Red Robin definitely come from the same origin. Red Robin is just much slower and more expensive (and more delicious). Whereas Taco Bell is not only low-quality, it also bears very little resemblance to actual Mexican cuisine. Or even Americanized Mexican cuisine.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I went to a real Mexican restaurant today. The place has great food, quick service, and most of their dishes are as good a deal if not better than fast food. It's not as quick as going to a McDonalds or Taco Bell, but well worth it if you have half an hour to just sit and eat.

I couldn't even finish, and that doesn't happen that often with me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

We have a Mexican restaurant around here that's pretty much on par with fast food, price-wise, but very high-quality. I'm not going to argue that it's the kind of stuff they eat in Mexico, but it's at least run by Hispanics.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You know what's really good? Sauteed mushrooms over a nice steak. A slightly-upscale restaurant we used to visit prepared their mushrooms by sauteing them in butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and a little bit of Marsala cooking wine. I made this dish a few nights ago when I had to cook dinner.

Post by 0404 »

JeffCvt wrote:I went to a real Mexican restaurant today. The place has great food, quick service, and most of their dishes are as good a deal if not better than fast food. It's not as quick as going to a McDonalds or Taco Bell, but well worth it if you have half an hour to just sit and eat.
:(
Why couldn't have you?
GunRacer wrote: plus, you get to pack in the free chips and salsa while you wait for your order.
What,!? What?! What?! :cry: you should have told me that earlier. And No one there told me that... :(
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Woah! My man, you missed out. Guess the bottomless-chip-bowl-at-Mexican-restaurants concept is so deeply ingrained into the Texan psyche that nobody bothers mentioning it. For locals, it would be like having your waitress inform you that you're supposed to eat your salad with the supplied fork and not a butter knife. Duh.

Unless, of course, you're from out of state. Now, the only adequate solution for your predicament is to go out for Mexican food again-- y'know, just so you can appreciate the full experience. It's culturally significant!

Aaaand now I'm hungry.
GunRacer
McFly

Post by McFly »

texascat018 wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:I went to a real Mexican restaurant today. The place has great food, quick service, and most of their dishes are as good a deal if not better than fast food. It's not as quick as going to a McDonalds or Taco Bell, but well worth it if you have half an hour to just sit and eat.
:(
Why couldn't have you?
Probably because there was a lot of food.