9%
Both about equally
71%

Total votes: 45

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Plot vs. Inconsequential

Post by Sleet »

Since there seems to be some controversy over this, I'm curious where people stand on this. Do you prefer the more plot-oriented strips, the one-offs and sillier arcs, or both more or less equally? I think there was a thread before but if had no poll, so here we go!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Re: Plot vs. Inconsequential

Post by IceKitsune »

I like both about equally its just I wish the major plot points with the Nerds didn't move so slowly.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I like them equally and have no complaints
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

This is a tough choice.
I love Rick's one-offs and side-arcs, but I've always been a strong advocate of plot and gotten anxious whenever we go without a plot-arc for a while.
My choice has been made.
I refuse to answer.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I think Rick gets the mix right honestly - of all the other webcomics I keep or have kept up with, Housepets! is the prime instance where I've been excited about every strip update. The ratio between plot development and one-off craziness has been balanced well so that there are timely breaks in the action that are refreshing rather than annoying. On top of that the actual subject matter is always relevant and enthralling, or light-hearted and entertaining.

So yeah.. no complaints here :D

Post by 0404 »

Major arcs are fries and one offs are ketchups. but tbh I love grapenut more than anything in Hp comics.
Last edited by 0404 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McFly

Post by McFly »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I like them equally and have no complaints
Same here.
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

Seems like I'm the only one yet who wants more plot driven arcs. I like one-offs as much as the other guy, but would like if there were more arcs which focuses on longer plots instead of having one between 4-6 single short plot arcs. Not that I don't like those either, but the balance is a lot more on the short ones. It isn't even nearly 50/50 ratio. Four years to get into the point in the cosmic nerd arc where we actually start getting actual information about the whole ordeal is reeally long time.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I personally like it when it's kept a bit simple.
I'm easily entertained
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I like arcs a lot. Whether inconsequential or very plot-centric.
When I wasn't all caught up and having to wait a whole day (sometimes two :o ) for the next installment, I think I enjoyed one-offs more.
I still like 'em, but I love story more (and Rick is a great storyteller) :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I generally like to see plot advancement in romance from time to time, but for the most part i like the silliness of the characters, so a good mix of both.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

As long as the strips that Rick puts out are entertaining, I don't really care much either way. And he's yet to disappoint me, so yeah.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

EvanAierkan wrote:Seems like I'm the only one yet who wants more plot driven arcs. I like one-offs as much as the other guy, but would like if there were more arcs which focuses on longer plots instead of having one between 4-6 single short plot arcs. Not that I don't like those either, but the balance is a lot more on the short ones. It isn't even nearly 50/50 ratio. Four years to get into the point in the cosmic nerd arc where we actually start getting actual information about the whole ordeal is reeally long time.
No, you're not. It IS a really long time. I would like to have seen this thing move along before this point.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

gimme that grapenut, baby

I'll drink that I'm a loaf of bread with no raisins all day long
ImageImage
ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, I love the Cosmic Nerd and other plot arcs, but I think there is a nice mix going on here. My favorite webcomic for a reason. I enjoy character development, and this has PLENTY of it, along with the silly! :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Now granted, I haven't been here long enough to get tired of anything, but I like the mix. Since I showed up we've had a few short arcs, the epic Trial in Heaven, and a bunch of one-offs. Great variety. Seems the poll so far is confirming general approval.

Rick tells a good story with the arcs and does a great job developing the characters. Heh, my taste in reading has changed a bit since finding HP thanks to that. But one-offs are great for some humor and refreshment.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sinder wrote:gimme that grapenut, baby

I'll drink that **** all day long
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

I never had problems with both choices. Only the nerds thing keeps me dubious, though it's still funny to read. (NOT going into debate over that again, just waiting for future developments)
Liam

Post by Liam »

The only criterion that matters for me is the individual quality of both.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I picked this Larger plot-advancing strips/arcs. But in the end this is up to Ricky, no?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

In my head these are the choices set by this poll.

1. Would you rather Rick solve every question you have, pour all his mental and physical energy into Housepets, advancing the major plots but leaving him with but a days gap to produce quality dialogue and art, and when the plot is finalized the continuation of Housepets leaves us wanting its end because it's becoming a sad collection of lack-lustre arcs and fan appeasements like the current Simpsons.

2. Would you rather Rick leave you with questions, take time to arrive at a point of quality that doesn't have that mass produced feeling, allowing the series to live and entertain for years to come and leaves space for inventive individuals to create canon works of fiction and art which they might not have been encouraged to do if there was nothing for them to answer.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

JohnWillow wrote:1. Would you rather Rick solve every question you have, pour all his mental and physical energy into Housepets, advancing the major plots but leaving him with but a days gap to produce quality dialogue and art, and when the plot is finalized the continuation of Housepets leaves us wanting its end because it's becoming a sad collection of lack-lustre arcs and fan appeasements like the current Simpsons.
So how exactly would the "lack-luster" arcs differ from the current non plot advancing arcs? I think you're going a bit too much to an absolute opposite, saying how Rick couldn't handle more arcs that actually connects to one another.
Karl

Post by Karl »

As long as HP! will stay as a cartoonish comedy, all is fine to me.

Oh, and I like plot twists and surprises :)
I'm a bookworm!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Karlos wrote:As long as HP! will stay as a cartoonish comedy, all is fine to me.
Hear, hear!!
Furryforever

Post by Furryforever »

I have to say I love the story as it is. And as long as Rick continues to please I think that he should decide what he posts. But in another thought I agree with EvanAierkan and PhoenixAsper above. Four years is a LONG time to get to the point in the story in which it has gotten now.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Which story? There are a lot.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I have a feeling he means the one with the cosmic nerds.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Furryforever wrote:Four years is a LONG time to get to the point in the story in which it has gotten now.
I agree that is a bit of a long time, but I know of some comics that are 8 years in and still don't have the amount of story revealed yet as Housepets does. I like how Rick has it paced out, but I can see why some would want it speed up a bit.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Karl

Post by Karl »

There are many stories in this comic. The thing with Cosmic Nerds is just one of many and yet there are more to come. So I don't see any reason to look forward into getting to the point because four years passed already. For me, it can even take 10, 15 years. All I need is entertainment, tension and laugh which I receive and adore so far.
Just enjoy the story, and let the Mastermind work on it his own way. He knows what he's doing :)
I'm a bookworm!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:Which story? There are a lot.
There are like 3 maybe 4 at best. Two of which are so interconnected that they are basically the same, and one that may or may not be dead and over with depending on how everyone reacts to what Dragon did and/or Pete's Avatar choice.
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

all of the strips are equally interesting i just wish there was more SPO.
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Karlos wrote:For me, it can even take 10, 15 years.
Housepets! won't go the way of The Simpsons, Housepets! won't go the way of The Simpsons :( .

If Rick can make this go that long, that would be quite impressive. To be reading new strips into retirement...
Karl

Post by Karl »

DanTwelve3 wrote:If Rick can make this go that long, that would be quite impressive. To be reading new strips into retirement...
If he won't loose his awesome mind powers, he will manage ;p
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

DanTwelve3 wrote:
Karlos wrote:For me, it can even take 10, 15 years.
Housepets! won't go the way of The Simpsons, Housepets! won't go the way of The Simpsons :( .

If Rick can make this go that long, that would be quite impressive. To be reading new strips into retirement...
Well, if you think how long is going on Kevin and Kell, and that is definitely NOT simpsonized.
I am pretty sure Rick could go on as long as K&K if he decided so and keep all of the awesome.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Do you mean by "simpsonized" "lost its edge"? Because I think it's still good. <_<

I guess it's safe to say Rick wants to do the comic as long as possible and I'm good with that.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

A well-crafted plot twist would be nice every now and again.

It's getting harder to focus now that everything that was shocking and/or unexpected before is now being explained. I knew it would happen eventually, but not in a manner that in my opinion felt rushed and in giant walls of overly complicated text. Was that part of the humor?
Gren

Post by Gren »

I like both, but I think I prefer much more large arcs and if it part of plot is even better
ImageImage