Euro 2012

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Karl

Euro 2012

Post by Karl »

Those who are European know what I mean. In 3 days will begin the European Football Championship Tournament in Poland and Ukraine. Big event for those who adore this discipline and go crazy over it. Supporters wearing colors of their national team, following everywhere where their favorite ones are. Big stadiums. Fanzones full of people, shouting from emotion or falling into hysteria after someone will score a goal... in other words: total madness.
But what I also know is that many people still don't know some things. What kind of countries Poland and Ukraine are? Is there safe? How culture looks there. What people live there? Where to sleep? Where are fanzones and how to get to stadiums?
Have no fear. I can help you with your concerns. I'm a native Pole who lives in south-west region of Poland, in a town that is one of the hosts for Euro. Therefore I'm very close to anything that is currently happening.
So feel free to ask me anything that is on your mind, those who are Europeans and also from other countries and are interested in football/soccer. I will gladly answer on everything :)
I'm a bookworm!
Wanderer

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Wanderer »

Go Poland~!
I'm somewhat interested in football, I like watching it at least.
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

Spain hands down :P

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

COME ON ENGLAND!

(I know we're gonna lose, but meh, there's something wrong with not supporting your national team)
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

I'm gonna guess that the Americas don't get to send over their soccer team to compete? :P

Just in case there's a few that don't know, the only place that football isn't called football is America- where it's called soccer. I generally don't watch sports, though, so I'd have no idea which team to root for...
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Karl

Post by Karl »

Buckdida wrote:I'm gonna guess that the Americas don't get to send over their soccer team to compete? :P
No :P But I saw in TV today that a lot of American journalists arrive to report and broadcast matches and eveything that happens in between. So it seems that a lot of US citizens are interested in this kind of sport :)
Buckdida wrote:Just in case there's a few that don't know, the only place that football isn't called football is America- where it's called soccer. I generally don't watch sports, though, so I'd have no idea which team to root for...
It always makes me wonder why in US it's called soccer. Is it because Football is already occupied there or it's other reason?
And I know it's weird, but somehow when I hear word "soccer" in my imagination appears a lollipop. Maybe because of "succer"? :|
I'm a bookworm!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Buckdida wrote:I generally don't watch sports, though, so I'd have no idea which team to root for...
You should root for England *wink wink, nudge nudge*
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Karlos wrote:No :P But I saw in TV today that a lot of American journalists arrive to report and broadcast matches and eveything that happens in between. So it seems that a lot of US citizens are interested in this kind of sport :)
Buckdida wrote:Just in case there's a few that don't know, the only place that football isn't called football is America- where it's called soccer. I generally don't watch sports, though, so I'd have no idea which team to root for...
It always makes me wonder why in US it's called soccer. Is it because Football is already occupied there or it's other reason?
And I know it's weird, but somehow when I hear word "soccer" in my imagination appears a lollipop. Maybe because of "succer"? :|
According to Merriam-Webster:
Origin of SOCCER
by shortening & alteration from association football
First Known Use: 1889

I wonder how they got soccer out of that. =P

Also, soccer isn't particularly popular in the US. Most people see it as a) really boring or b) a sport for little kids. The World Cup was broadcast on major networks over here, but I don't remember there being a big interest in it. The most memorable thing about it for me were the vuvuzelas. xD
Karl

Post by Karl »

Vuvuzelas are a real plague. It was impossible to watch entire match on TV when you heard thousands of them in the background :) That's why during Euro they are absolutely forbidden to take them on stadiums.

Seriously, it's like you hear millions of bees...
I'm a bookworm!