Paradigm Shift

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: A Random Fanfic Unnamed: by Brent

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Experiment time. I'm not gonna read over this one for quality of writing, so feel free to call me out if parts of it suck. and now I present:

Part 8
--------
9 AM

“Well,” Jeff began, “I seem to be unable to hold a job for more than a couple months. I don’t know why, maybe I get too distracted by worrying about my pets or something. Especially Bino, with his tendency to get himself seriously injured on a fairly regular basis.”

“Do you actually like these jobs you’re losing? You could be subconsciously sabotaging your ability to hold these jobs so you can try to get one you enjoy,” postulated the Wizard. “Of course if it really is worry over your pets, you could just sell this ‘Bino’.”

“WHAT!?” yelled Jeff in surprise. “NO!! I could never do that to him.”

“Relax, I was only joking. I know how much the inhabitants of this uni-” he held out the I while stopping himself from saying “universe” then continued to say “ique neighborhood care about their pets. You’d be torn up about it, he’s probably end being bought by some parents to teach their punk teenager responsibility or something, no one would be happy,” he laughed.

Jeff wasn’t as amused. There was a time when he had considered it. It was only for a second, but he still felt guilty for the fact that the thought had crossed his mind.

“So, anyway. What are some of your qualifications so I can suggest a job you’ll like?” The Wizard rested his elbows on his desk, clasped his hands, and put both index fingers to his lips in a thoughtful pose.

“Well, I did graduate college in the top of my class,” he said proudly.

“And what was your major?” Wizard asked.

“It was art. And I minored in business. I figured I’d be able to run a store and sell my art in it. That didn’t quite work out,” Jeff said, looking sad again.

“Why don’t you run my business?” Wizard asked, smiling a reassuring smile. “I wasn’t charging for these meetings anyway, since I have other sources of income. You’d be able to charge a fair price per meeting, and since there’s no overhead, you can get all of the profits.”

Jeff was speechless. This sounded too good to be true. He’d be able to work from home. “What’s the catch?”

“Just help me design a better ad using your artistic eye. Maybe decorate my office with some of your art. Tell people how good my advice is.” He then lowered his voice to add, “and you will ask no questions if you see any weird stuff going on.”

Jeff was a bit put off by the end of that statement, but he got over it. “You have a deal. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a business plan to write up.” With this, he exited the office, then popped back in to say, “I’ll have that and my suggestions for a new ad on your desk tomorrow,” then left again.

Once Jeff was out of the house, The Wizard sighed and said, “glad he’s gone. I hate doing this good guy act.”
------------
Over at the park, where recently there was a corgi being tackled by wolf cubs while a cat and husky watched indifferently, there was now a conversation between the aforementioned canids and the cat.

However, their friendly exchange at this point has no bearing on the story at all, so we’ll just skip ahead to a bit later, when Gemini left the others and began wandering the neighborhood again.

He was walking along the street, when ran into Max and his group of Bigglesworths making more preparations for their upcoming prank. Max was standing by as the Bigglesworths were walking back and forth carrying boxes of miscellaneous items from throughout the neighborhood into Max’s yard.

Gemini walked up to Max and asked, “What are you doing?”

“Pranking,” was Max’s response. “You?”

“Watching you prank.” Both cats were hypnotized by the rhythmic pacing of the Siamese cats. “I’m Gemini, by the way.”

“Max.” He reached his paw towards Gemini, who took it with his own, neither one taking their eyes off of the other cats.

After a few minutes, one of the Siamese cats came up and said, “The preparations are complete, sir,” before popping off a salute.

“Huh… wha?” Max said. Then he shook his head out of the hypnosis and said “Oh, great. Now we can actually set it up. Hey, new cat. You wanna help out?”

Gemini shook his head out of the daze. “Sure. It sure beats wandering around spying on other pets.”
----------
9:20 AM
Meanwhile, fairly deep in the forest, Zach was listening to Lana talk about some of the crazy things that she and her brothers had done. He found it oddly amusing to hear of the escapades of those crazy ferrets.

“Wow,” he exclaimed. “He really bought a missile silo and filled it with Vanilla pudding? How did he keep it from going bad?”

“He had it turned into a big refrigerator,” She said with a laugh.

“hold on, How long ago did we pass that waterfall?” he asked.

“I have no idea. Why do you ask?”

“because… nevermind, I know where we are now.” He led into an opening with a shack in it. In front of the shack was an old man tending to his yard.

The man looked up and noticed Zach.

“well if it isn’t my favorite guest.
His ideas on life are the best.
And who is with you,
A small ferret who,
Is the richest in all of the west.”

“That one was below your standards, Lem. Lana, this is Lem Eric. He’s pretty fun to talk to about stuff in general, once you get past some of his weaker limericks.

“Speaking in limericks is hard.
It requires the skills of the Bard.
Now if you’ll excuse,
I’ve no time to lose.
I must finish tending my yard.”
With this, he returned to his yard work.

“Alright, I’ll talk to you some other time. Come on, Lana, It’s this way,” Zach said, pointing to a rock outcropping shaped like a fist.
Back at the shack, Lem was speaking to himself.

“Good luck on your quest, little one.
My time as a guide now is done.
There are dangers ahead,
Please don’t wind up dead,
or the battle may never be won.”

A short while later, Zach and Lana reached the entrance to the cave. It was fairly boring other than the Akkadian on the door. Inside, there was just a panel that seemed like an anachronism in the middle of this ancient cave. It had a bunch of buttons, but more interesting to Lana was the fact that it was shiny.

“Hey, cool. This would look great in one of our many rooms. What do these buttons do?” She asked, rhetorically of course, since she was already in the process of pressing a few.

“Careful,” Zach said worriedly, “last time I pressed a button, there was a loud noise. I have no idea what it was, but it didn’t sound good.”

“Relax, nothing ever goes wrong when you press random buttons,” She said, still pressing buttons.

In the back of the cave, unnoticed by the two at the panel were two dark figures. One had the shape of a rabbit while the other was just a dark mass of no definite shape.

The black mass spoke, sounding like a thousand tiny voices at the same time, each with its own inflection. “Are they as foretold?”

“As far as I can tell,” came the voice of the other figure. “I guess now’s as good a time as any to set this thing in motion.

Back at the panel, Lana was still pressing many buttons. Suddenly, the cave went dark.
----------------
“What was that?” asked the startled ferret.

“Do not be alarmed. You are safe,” said the many-voiced mass.

“Who said that?” Lana asked, puzzled at this new voice.

“We are the formless one,” the voices explained. “We are the souls that failed to complete their earthly purpose before death.”

“That sounds awesome. But why are you talking to me?” she asked, still puzzled.

“You and your brothers will serve as important players in an upcoming battle,” was the response. “We need imaginative minds to give us form. Your ability to see
past the logical and into the insane is crucial. You will have access to the many souls that are part of us. You need only think of an object and we will take the form. It is very much like the power of the Green Lantern Corps, but there are no rings of limited energy capacity.”

“Cool,” She said excitedly. “So we get to be superheroes.”

“Yes, but there’s something we need you to do first.”

“What?” She asked curiously.
-------------------------
Meanwhile (by which I mean starting back at the initial darkness), Zach was worrying his fluffy tail off.

“Lana? Where are you? I don’t like this.”

“Relax, Zach,” said a calm, voice in the darkness. “She’s fine. And so are you.”

The sound of paws clapping was followed immediately by two spotlights in the darkness. One was focused on Zach, the other was focused on another rabbit
that looked almost exactly like Zach, but his fur was a black as the darkness around them.

“Who are you?” asked Zach, still wary of the situation he currently found himself in.

“I am a creation of the gods, created to give balance to the foretold ‘Opener of Ways’” replied the other rabbit with a smile on his face.

“WHAT!?” Zach exclaimed. “So you’re just another one of those crazy ferals that worship me.”

“I don’t worship anyone, dude. I don’t even serve the gods. I’m just serving the purpose I was created for, namely, helping you help save your universe.”

“Okay, now I know you’re crazy. I could never save a universe,” Zach replied, turning away from the black Zach.

To his surprise, the black bunny was standing on this side, too.

“And that’s exactly why I’m here, Zach. All your self-doubt? I’ll give you more confidence. Your tendency towards worrying? I can keep you relaxed. I was created to give you balance. I’m your opposite in many ways. You can call me Hcaz. Unoriginal, yes, but the gods just called me the balancer, and I wanted an actual name.”

“So you’re saying you’ll be changing my personality?” Zach queried, still worried.

“No, man. It’ll be more like a partnership. When you need to be calm or sure of yourself in the fight, I’ll make it happen. Otherwise you’ll be your normal self,” Hcaz explained. “So, do you agree? Your ferret friend seems to have accepted her role.”

“I… guess there’s no harm in saying yes,” Zach answered reluctantly. “ If you’re just crazy, It’s not like I’ll be harmed.”

“Great!” the black bunny exclaimed. “There’s just one thing I need you to do first.”

“and that is?”

Then at the same time, in the two separate areas of darkness, the formless one and Hcaz answered, “Wake up.”
--------------
10 AM
Zach awoke with a start, leaning on the same tree he was leaning on when Lana showed up.

“So I guess it was all a dream then?” he asked to himself.

“Nope,” was the reply that came from above.

Zach looked up to see Hcaz sitting in the tree, smiling down at him.
------------------
I briefly alluded to Housepets: Matt by Karlos.

and know the H in Hcaz is silent.

now tell me anything I need to fix, please. and anything I don't need to fix.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:“Lana? Here are you? I don’t like this.”
I think that you need to fix this part, but everthing else seems to be fine to me. (not that I would notice anything else)

Also, I loved the refrence to Housepets: Matt. The consept that this fortune teller can see into other fanfics is unique, and I love it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

fixed. and he's not a fortune teller. pay attention, it's right in his name. He's the Wizard.

and the whole point of this fic is pretty much my characters' knowledge of other fics and the comic itself, so it's great that you love that. thanks. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Over at the park, where recently there was a corgi being tackled by wolf cubs while a cat and husky watched indifferently, there was now a conversation between the aforementioned canids and the cat.

However, their friendly exchange at this point has no bearing on the story at all, so we’ll just skip ahead to a bit later, when Gemini left the others and began wandering the neighborhood again.
I liked everything, but this. It didn't feel necessary to mention them if nothing happens. Otherwise I really liked it.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

1) I knew that wasn't completely necessary, so I exaggerated it and kept it in for a slight comedic effect.
2) It was intended to let readers know what happened between these two points in time.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I can understand that, I just couldn't figure out why that would be mentioned. Now I know. :lol:
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Loved the reference to Matt. You are a name dropper here. :roll:

Also, you so should have been Lim Eric this whole time... I think this might be the first time he has appeared in a fanfic ever... at least spoken in one.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I had to include my favorite old man who speaks in limericks. He was on the list of characters to include if I ever got around to writing a fic.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Karl

Post by Karl »

Uff, finally had time to read.

Thank you for reference :)

I was wondering when I'll finally see the Limerick Guy in your fic ;P Sooner or later he had to appear. And I must say that you're doing limericks pretty well.
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Read part 8 at last!
Full of WOW and other intereting things, though I must admite, the 'superheroic' thing leaves me wary, but I trust you to do a quality job.
Nice reference to Karlos' work, YAY! :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

don't worry, I've got things planned out. I'll try not to overuse them.
and I may or may not write the next update this week.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
sean21

Post by sean21 »

i loved all of it especially how you keep breaking the 4th wall, i'm looking forward to your next one

quoted- "Brett is so awesome." i just had to say that.
Shawn "hey."
Sean "greetings."
Alex "hi everyone ^_^"
Justin "wazz'up dudes."
David "i hope it rains today."
Shawn "this is my loving family, sort of speak."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Alrighty. so I've put this off long enough, I'll try to get an update out this weekend. It will be one that will go into some backstory that's in my head for the Wizard and the celestial beings that I feel is important to the story, then I'll put out an update soon after that will be a regular one with all your favorite HP characters... as long as all your favorites work in my story.

I've decided to retcon a bit and change Tiger and Daisy's date, as well as Fiddler and Keys' show at Heathcliff's, to the current night in the fic instead of the next, because I don't really want to fill another entire day with just hanging out. I want to get this thing moving.

also, I'll be going back and adding time labels to the different sections of each part, just so it's easier for me to keep track of what time it is in my own story.

Hope I haven't lost you all. It's my summer break starting this weekend, so expect me to not take two months between updates.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You're finally going to update again.
I've been waiting.

And lucky you for your summer break starting, I still got most of May left...
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hooray, this is back on! Awesome!

I can't wait for the date night. Should be lots of fun.
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Well, I failed to get around to writing my whole epic backstory for the Wizard and the celestial beings, but I did write the introduction to it. So I'm going to post the first part and get the rest written over the next few days. Now, without further ado, I give you:

Part 9 A
--------
10 AM

Seemingly months after Zach looked up to see Hcaz in his yard, yet only a few moments later, as if a lazy author of the universe had taken a large break from writing, over at the Wizard house, The Wizard was receiving an unannounced guest. He heard a knock at the door and got up from the recliner upon which he napped in his living room.

Upon opening the door, he saw small corgi standing there.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” King asked, looking down at his feet.

“Of course, come in. The wolf cubs in the bushes can join us, too,” the man replied as he turned to walk back to the living room.

Once all parties were inside, The Wizard turned around and said, “Alright, Pete, I assume you’re the one that wants to talk to me, and Cerberus is watching over you, so,” He snapped his fingers and the two celestial beings were standing in the room separate from their respective avatars before he continued. “What say we let the avatars go out on their own while we reminisce?”

Pete looked surprised as he said, “Wow. You’ve gotten good at this magic thing since I taught you. King, you can go out and do whatever you want for a few hours.”

However, the wolf cubs were already carrying him out of the house for a rousing game of “run for your life.”

“So,” The Wizard asked as he sat back in his recliner, “What do we want to talk about?”

Pete sat down on the couch nearby while Cerberus stood by the entry way.

“It’s about the enemy we’ll be facing,” said the blue griffin. “As we said before, we think it’s one of your former colleagues. The magical aura left in his wake is very similar to that of The Mage, but there are inconsistencies. “

“Such as?” asked the Wizard, dropping his usual carefree demeanor.

“Well, It’s stronger and darker than his ever was,” Pete said

“It’s almost as if someone stole his aura,” said another voice. From the back room entered Tarot and Cosmo. “And He was never the type to corrupt. That was closer to Warlock’s M.O.”

“We need to go over everything we know about him,” continued the Great Kitsune. He then manifested in the form of a normal sized, one-tailed fox and said,

“Cosmo, go play with the other dogs. I’ll let you know anything you need to later.” With that, the black dog was exiting the building to go find something to do.
Tarot sat on the floor between the Wizard’s recliner and the TV, as she said in Dragon’s voice, “This means we may have to drudge up some painful memories for you.

“It’s fine,” The Wizard said with a smile on his face, despite a pained, mournful look in his eyes. “I’ve had millennia to get over it.”

The following conversation involves a lot of talking about past events, so how about we utilize the full powers of this “omniscience” promised by my point of view and do a flashback… TO WHEN THE UNIVERSE WAS YOUNG!!!

To be continued.
----------
So there you have it. next update will flesh out the Wizard's character more. I feel this is important to the story. Plus, it'll allow me to skip to some action without rushing the main story.

any errors to correct?
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yay! I bet the universe was hot when it was younger. :lol:

Yes, one mistake that I saw, skimming through.
“It’s almost as if it’s someone stole his aura,”
Either drop the "it's", or add a "who" after someone...

Good intro, and glad to see it up. Can't wait for the rest of the story. :D
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

error fixed.
and you're right, the universe used to be smoking. Sadly, she just keeps expanding.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

AN UPDATE!!

YES!!
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Seemingly months after Zach looked up to see Hcaz in his yard, yet only a few moments later, as if a lazy author of the universe had taken a large break from writing,
My favorite part of this update.
I laughed hard enough to attract the attention of some students who are stitting near me.
I would have laughed out loud if not for the fact that I'm in class right now.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

glad to hear it. felt that that kind of joke was just perfect for my fic and couldn't not use it. I almost laughed while writing it. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Oh hey, I'm allowed to double post here. fun. anyway, here's the first part of the flashback. I'll get the rest tomorrow night. or some more of it. hope you enjoy:

Part 9 B
------------
Back before the universe we know existed, there were higher beings. There still are. They were as diverse as the life found on earth. Not even I can know how they got there. Maybe there were even higher beings; maybe they’ve just always existed. But how they got there doesn’t matter. What matters is that they created our universe. When they populated it, one race of the higher beings created the first humans in their image. They began calling themselves “Gods” and treated the humans as their slaves.

The other races of higher beings created the animals of the world. They were just as intelligent as the humans, but they had the freedom of choice that the gods denied to the humans. These beings became known as “celestial beings”.

Every human was required to pledge themselves to serve as an avatar for a god. This pledge gave the god complete control over the human’s actions in exchange for the human being able to access the god’s power. Many people disagreed with this practice. We’ll be focusing on a few of these. Of course, there’s no way to accurately translate their language, as no one’s spoken it in 12 billion years. I’ll just be giving a general idea of what was being said.

In a large house in what we now know as Pangaea, a family was addressing their son, who we now know as The Wizard, so we’ll just use that name.

“WIZARD, YOU’RE 21 AND YOU STILL HAVEN’T CHOSEN A GOD!!!” screamed a female who appeared no older than the man she was yelling at. God magic does wonders for the skin.

“WE’VE GONE OVER THIS A THOUSAND TIMES, MOM! I’LL CHOOSE WHEN I’M READY!” yelled the young Wizard who had no magic at this point before slamming the door to his room and lying on his bed.

After a few minutes of silence, he released a sigh and said, “I don’t need magic to know that you’re standing there, friend.” His name of course, isn’t friend, but we’ll just call him that cause, again, unspeakable language. Kinda ties my hands.

“What, did ‘Mother Earth’ give you the weekend off?” he asked sarcastically.

“Actually, yeah,” friend replied. “Dude, I heard the whole fight. She’s right, you know. Without a god contract, you’ll never find someone. You don’t want to end up a 40 year-old bachelor living with your parents because no one will give you a job. That’s what happened to creepy neighbor. Do you want to end up like creepy neighbor?”

“I don’t, but I also don’t want to end up the pawn of some god who wants to use me to work out its issues with the other gods,” Wizard replied matter-of-factly.
Friend was taken aback. “Wizard, I-I…”

“Can it. It’s true and you know it. They only see us as pawns to be used in their petty fights. You only serve ‘Mother Earth’ because you wanted to meet chicks. Now you spend most of your time fighting with Ocean worshippers because her brother is trying to hog her leg room.”

Wizard was fuming and staring at friend with a death glare. “Know this. I’m never going to serve a god. I’ll never be a pawn in some game. I make my own choices, and I’m never going to stop. If this leaves me as an outcast from our society of mindless drones, then I’ll be happy as an outcast.”

Meanwhile, up in the spirit realm, a certain blue griffin was having a conversation with a certain nine-tailed fox.

“GK, I don’t like the way those gods treat those humans,” He said. “I mean, our animals are prospering with little interference from us, and they could do even better if they worked in tandem with the humans. But the humans are too busy fighting the gods’ battles to even talk to the animals, let alone work with them.”

“Well, what can we do about it? We’re at too low a level to affect those types of decisions. We’ll just have to hope the animals can continue to prosper on their own,” was Kitsune’s reply. “The only reason the humans are so advanced is because they have the god’s magic. If they weren’t serving the gods, they’d be just as advanced as the animals. It’s not like we can break in to Heaven and release their magic.”

“I think I can,” Pete said, turning to his friend. “With a little help, of course.”

“Pete, don’t be crazy. We can’t risk everything we have here.” Kitsune said with worry in his voice. “We’re just a couple millennia away from gaining access to the game room. Don’t you want to be there for that? Just you, me, Dragon, and Cerb?”

“Actually, I don’t think Cerberus will be around for much longer. And I never said, I’d need your help, I was just letting you know I won’t be able to make it to our next game session. I’ll be gone to earth by the end of the night. Don’t tell Dragon, She’ll just ruin it,” Pete said without turning around.

He should have, because the next thing he heard was Dragon asking, “What will I ruin?” while glaring at Pete.

Pete turned to face her and said, “o-oh. I, uh, am going to be breaking up with Cerberus. I know you’ve gotten close with one of her recently, I was afraid you’d try to guilt-trip me out of it.”

Dragon sighed. “What you do with your girlfriend for the last million-and-one years is your business. I can only hope you let her down nicely so she doesn’t get hurt.”

“Well, it’s getting late, I should get going. I have things I need to do.” He exited the room, going over his plan in his head.
------------------
Later, he snuck into Heaven. He didn’t sneak that well, so he was caught by the new night watchman. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?” barked the three headed dog.

“Heh. I felt like surprising you at work, Cerb,” he explained calmly. “I thought you could use a little company. It is lonely here at night.”

“Oh, it is. We were just thinking the same thing,” the middle head said as she kissed the griffon’s beak.

but, umm… This is against regulation,” The left head whispered. “You shouldn’t actually be here.

“Relax. What, do you think I’m going to steal the gods’ extra magic or something?” Pete asked with a sarcastic tone.

We’re worried we’ll lose focus. If anything goes down, it’s on our heads,” barked the right head.

“Do you trust your focus so little that you think me being here will make you let something happen?” Pete said, all the while he was grabbing the magic from the pedestal behind his back. He had inched his way towards it throughout the conversation.

“No, we’d never let that distract us,” The middle head said as all three of them were turned away, watching for other intruders.

“Hey, Cerb?” Pete said.

Cerberus turned while asking, “Yes, Pete?” only to see Pete flying in front of the exit holding the magic.

“We should see other people,” He said as he turned and flew to the portal to the earth.

Cerberus ran to the exit and screamed at the fugitive, “PETE YOU *********** I’LL BREAK YOUR ****** WINGS THE NEXT TIME I SEE YOUR *****FACE!!!!!!!!!!!” Then she sat down and began to cry about having misjudged Pete so horribly.

Pete used his own magic to spread the gods’ excess magic over the entire universe. A few special creatures were able to immediately absorb the magic and turned into mythological creatures, and a few locations clung to pools of the magic, but for the most part, it began flowing freely around the universe.

To be continued...
--------------------
EDIT: should probably put a warning that the religion in this fic is not meant to represent or be a statement about any existing religion. If it seems similar to your own, then I didn't even know yours existed.

Hope you enjoy this. Next part coming soon.
I'm putting these out so fast that I'm not even proofreading them, so I'll need you guys to catch any errors I've left.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Very interesting so far. I like back stories, and this one is nice.

So the wizard learns magic that way, eh? Wonder how the Gods thought of this little incident. :lol:
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Oh look, more. few notes: 1) guess which moderator Mage is based on and 2) These are ancient beings. In this time, gay and straight are not things, and most of society can reproduce magically. They are attracted to whoever they're attracted to, and that can be same or opposite gender. basically: everyone is like Jack Harkness.

Also, still not done. now I present:

Part 9 C
-----------
The Wizard was finding sleep hard to achieve. All his friends and family were being forced to fight wars that had nothing to do with them, and they just accepted it as how things had to be. Yes, magic would make his life easier, but he never wanted to surrender his free will.

He tossed and turned as his bed suddenly seemed to be as hard as the floor of a cave. In fact, the air in his room became cool and moist like in a cave too. He even thought he heard a few bats talking.

Then he sat up to find that he was, indeed, in a cave. “What the *********?” He asked out loud, not expecting an answer.

But an answer came in the form of a large blue griffin, which, admittedly, raised more questions than it answered. “Don’t be afraid, Wizard. I’ve been watching you,” He said in a soothing voice.

“That… may not be the right thing to say to someone you just magically kidnapped,” Wizard responded, still unsure of his situation. “And what even are you?”

“I am a celestial being, and I’m here to make an offer. I here you want magic,” Pete said with a business-like tone.

“Alright, you may as well send me back. I’m never serving a god,” Wizard barked angrily.

“Relax, I hate the gods as much as you do,” Pete explained. “And I suspect the feeling is mutual. I just stole their extra magic and spread throughout the universe. I’m going to teach the five of you to use this magic, free from anyone’s control.”

“Wait, five?” he asked, curious. Then he noticed that he and Pete weren’t alone. Behind him were three guys about his age… and maybe the most beautiful girl he’d ever seen.

“You’ve each denied the gods control over your actions,” Pete continued his explanation. “Warlock here has been living with animals for years since his fire god worshipping parents kicked him out for not choosing a god,” he said as he indicated a 22 year-old with long hair. The hair was blonde at one point, but appeared as though it hadn’t been thoroughly washed in years. His eyes were of a dark grey.

Pete continued, indicating the next person in the cave. He was about 23 and had red hair and freckles. His eyes were green with a bit of brown around the pupils, and they sat behind a pair of glasses. “Mage has been providing refuge for the undecided for the last 5 years, allowing them to live free of persecution.”

The griffon moved on to the next two, indicating them together. The male had black hair and blue eyes. He was far overshadowed by the female standing with him. She had long, flowing, beautiful raven hair. Her eyes were great pools, bluer than the sky on the clearest of summer days. Her smile was no less beautiful.

“Sorcerer and his sister, Enchantress, have been studying the ancient texts, trying to find ways to use magic without the aid of the gods,” Pete once more continued to explain. “Unfortunately, there wasn’t one until today.”

“As for you,” The griffon said, turning towards the Wizard. “While you made no great advances in the non-magical community, I know it’s only because you’re careful. You don’t take action unless you know it will be a fruitful one. So, Mister Wizard,” He said as he walked to the intrigued future student and granted him the ability to see the magic flowing throughout the cage, “Is this enough fruit?”

Wizard saw swirls of gold flowing all through the cave. A smile was the only response he needed to give.
-------------
Over the next month or so, the five apprentices learned some basics of magic, as well as some basics of combat, meant to be used mainly for defense. Mage chose to forgo the combat lessons, instead learning healing magic and some shield spells to help the others in their fights. For sparring, they were in charge of healing and shields for themselves, though. Warlock and Wizard, however, preferred to leave their wounds until the last minute.

A drop of blood rolled from Wizard’s forehead as he charged a fireball in his hand. “You’re getting better, War. But you still can’t beat me.”
Warlock had tears in his clothes in many places, each with a cut revealed from it. He was panting heavily as he said, “I’ll get you, Wiz.” He then launched a lightning bolt towards Wizard.

Wizard magically launched himself out of the way and launched his fireball towards Warlock. The spar was over. The Wizard had won, just like countless times before. Both came out of the fight looking as if the fight hadn’t happened. The clones strewn about the ring weren’t so lucky.

Wizard exited the ring, saying, “Don’t worry, War. You’ll get me next time.” Then he walked over to Mage. The cave had been turned into an actual building with full amenities, hidden magically from the gods.

Mage was sitting at a table studying his medical spells, but He seemed more interested in watching Warlock.

“So, Mage. You’re into him?” Wizard said nonchalantly, nodding his head towards Warlock.

“About as much as you’re into Enchantress,” Mage replied, winking. Then he sighed and added, “But unlike you, I don’t have any reason my crush would like me.”

“Nonsense, you’d be a great catch for any guy,” Wizard said reassuringly. “Heck, If I weren’t so into Enchantress, I’d date you.”

“Whatever you say, man. So, back to you and Enchantress, are you ever gonna make a move?” Mage asked with a curious look on his face.

“Well, it’s a bit complicated. Her brother is like, my best friend,” Wizard replied, leaning on the table that Mage was sitting at.

“He’s also standing right behind you and giving you full permission to ask her out,” Sorcerer said, walking up behind Wizard.

Wizard stood up straight, surprised that he didn’t notice. “Oh, hey, Sorcerer. You’re getting good at that sneaking stuff… wait, really? I can ask her?”

“Yeah. And I’m inclined to believe she’ll say yes cause she talks about you any chance she gets. It seems you’ve got your own fangirl in her,” Sorcerer said, not noticing that Wizard had already left a few second ago.
-----------
Wizard went to Enchantress’s room and knocked on the door. When she opened it and saw Wizard, she blushed a little. “Oh, umm… hi,” she said shyly.

“Uhh, Tress. I was wondering… Do you want to go out with me?” He asked awkwardly.

She jumped up and hugged him tightly. “Yes. Thanks for asking.”

To be continued...
------------

There you have it. Next part will be maybe tomorrow, but I've already given 3 updates for 3 days, so I may not get it done.
again, totally proofreading free, so any corrections or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Wed May 09, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

An intresting view into the start of magic.

I just can't help but think that it's all going to go wrong in some way.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

*facepalms* Okay then....

Two mistakes. You put the instead of three when you talked of other young men the Wizard's age.
not noticing that Wizard was already left a few second ago
The was should be had.

Good update. Interesting enough to see what will happen next.
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

errors fixed, thanks dude. See, I think it's still good to only have one or two small errors in each update if I'm writing at such a fast pace while also watching TV.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Double update here we go. first:

Part 9 D: When Do We Get to 10?
--------------------
Over the next few years, Enchantress and Wizard’s relationship blossomed. They decided to get married by Pete in a small ceremony two years after they started dating. Mage played the part of the Maid of Honor while Warlock was the best man.

The wedding hall was magically designed specifically for the wedding. There was a short hall leading to a single altar. Around the altar were candles with white flames floating in mid-air. Pete stood behind the altar prepared to join these two in a ceremony of his own design, since there was no marriage ceremony to be joined in the eyes of the Celestial Being, only for the Gods. Wizard was at the altar in black dress robes, excited to take this next big step with his true love. Mage stood opposite Wizard while Warlock stood behind him. The doors to the magical hall opened and music began to play.

Enchantress entered the hall on the arm of her brother. She was wearing a beautiful white dress, in perfect contrast with her beautiful black hair. She wore a crown of white flowers and carried a bouquet of roses. When she reached the altar and her brother handed her off, she turned and smiled at her husband-to-be.

He smiled right back. “You’re more beautiful than ever, Tress.”

“Shall we begin?” Pete asked calmly. The bride and groom nodded in unison and Wizard held enchantress’s hands in his own.

“We gather here today not for ourselves, but to allow these two to be married. We’ve all seen how very much in love they are. We spend every day with them. We are their friends and family who were lucky enough to have our lives lightened by the bond they share, and this ceremony is to strengthen that bond they share. They have each prepared vows to share.” He nodded towards Wizard, indicating for him to begin.

Wizard looked deeply into his love’s eyes. His right arm glowed with magical energy as he delivered his vows. “Tress, before I met you, I was a young punk, with no direction in life other than away from the gods. I wasn’t interested in any women, because they all were too weak-willed be an outcast and refuse society’s pressures. Then I was brought here, and once I got over the distraction of the big blue griffin, my eyes beheld a girl more beautiful than the other girls could ever hope to be. On that day, I became a punk with a direction in life. We trained together for less than a year, and I knew I had to find a way to be more to you than a colleague. I found out you shared my feelings and all doubt left my mind. On that day, I became a punk lucky enough to be your boyfriend. We dated for the happiest two years of my life before we arranged this ceremony. On this day, I become the punk who will spend the rest of his life with you, wondering how I’m lucky enough to be so honored.” A single tear rolled down his cheek as he finished. The energy in his arm then drained from him and onto her, forming a tattoo of his real name in the ancient language wrapping all the way up her left arm.

Enchantress then began her vow, her right arm glowing with her own energy and the tattoo still glowing with his. With tears in her eyes, she said, “Wizard, I spent most of my youth working with my brother in our attempt to use magic without the gods. I missed out on making friends, and never had a chance to be with any boys. When I was brought here, I was worried I’d never find anyone. Then you were brought here too, and I wasn’t worried. You are the most hard-headed, arrogant, and loud-mouthed person I’ve ever met, and I love that about you. You never give up, even when others say you should. You believe you can’t mess up, and you don’t let worries cloud your judgment. You always speak your mind, so I know you would never lie to me. Wizard, you aren’t lucky to have me, but rather we’re lucky to have each other.” The glow on her right arm went to form a tattoo of her real name around his left arm.

“Let these marks of your mate’s true name last as long your love for each other,” Pete said, “and may they serve to empower you to do what is necessary for the good of the other. I now pronounce you man and wife. ” as he said the last word, he closed his talon and the magical marks on both of their arms ceased to glow, becoming permanently ingrained in their flesh.

Pete walked away, his eyes welling up with tears at seeing his students of nearly 3 years married. With the wedding over, Wizard and Enchantress shared a passionate kiss. Behind them, Warlock and Mage stood side by side.

“So much love in the air. Bet it gets you thinking,” Warlock said.

“Oh, who would I think about?” Mage asked.

“You think I didn’t notice you looking at me for the last two years?” Warlock turned towards Mage and shared a kiss with him to rival that of the newlyweds. He pulled away and said “Not bad. Not bad at all.”

Mage was left speechless, still surprised and overjoyed at this turn of events.
-------------------
Later that night, the newlyweds retreated to their shared chambers to enjoy their newfound marital status. Mage and Warlock talked all night. Pete did the same thing he did every night. He tried to take over the w… no, wait, he just worked on what he would teach his apprentices next.

The love between the two lovers never diminished from that day. As they honed their craft, they spent every free moment with each other. They talked. They kissed. They did a couple other things… like sparring. They shared a bed every night, and through the magic of… magic… they spent their dreams with each other as well.

Mage and Warlock weren’t quite as good a couple, but they worked in their own way. Warlock acted like just as much of a jerk as always, but Mage didn’t care. They only spent a few nights together, most of that was just talking.

This lasted for over five years. Each of Pete’s students became more powerful than any of the god-followers, even the Hatred sect. But just as with any alliance between those with great power, there came disagreements.
---------------
“You have to admit, Wiz, that the humans are just as blind as ever. They serve the gods that lead them to their own demise,” Warlock said in a cold tone of voice.

“Humans? War, have you actually forgotten that we’re humans, too?” was Wizard’s reply. The two were standing in the viewing room, alone. This was where they could watch anywhere on Earth.

“You, maybe. I cut ties with my humanity when my parents left me to live with the animals,” He said. “Animals which, I might add, are still striving in the forests of the Earth. Many of them accepted the magic we offered with no problems. The humans still refuse to live free of the gods.”

“They’ve been taught that the gods are saviors. They know nothing else.” Wizard was desperately trying to win this argument, because he feared what may happen if he didn’t.

“Then we need to take our fight to the Gods. We have the animals and the celestial beings on our side, we could easily wipe out the humans,” The increasingly mad man explained.

“Wipe out the humans? They’re just misguided. We need more than a few years to make them see the light,” was Wizard’s rebuttal.

“There was a time when you would have agreed with me, Wiz,” Warlock said as he turned around to face his old friend.

“Yeah? Well I’ve grown up since then. Maybe you should too,” Wizard said calmly, staring into his former best man’s eyes. “Now I’m going to join my wife in bed.

We’re going out tomorrow to find some more students for our cause. You should go to your bedroom, maybe spend a little time with Mage in hopes that he’ll change you for the better.” He turned and walked to his bedroom and prepared for sleep.
--------------------
and now

Part 9 E: Not Yet A.K.A. Finally Some Real Action
---------------
The next day, he awoke to find Enchantress had already left the room. He got up and threw on some clothes before sleepily walking to the Viewing room, where

Pete was supposed to be telling them who they were going to try to teach magic to today. When he got there, however, the room was empty. He yawned and went to turn on the viewing screen. What he saw confused him. The screen was reporting no signs of human life left on Earth.

He walked to Pete’s room to report that the computer was malfunctioning. He became fully awake when he saw Pete lying on the ground and his office in disarray. He checked on him and found he was just unconscious. He searched all over the complex until there was only one room left.

He burst into the wedding hall to see Warlock standing at the altar. Enchantress lay on the ground in front of him.

TRESS!!!” Wizard yelled as he ran to her side and knelt beside her. He held he in his arms and asked “Are you alright?”

She looked into his eyes with tears in her own, and weakly smiled as she said, “It looks like we won’t get a chance to have kids, Wizard.”

He shed a few tears as he asked, “wh-what do you mean? Don’t worry, mage can fix you right…”

“Don’t bother calling for the Ginger,” Warlock interrupted. “It’s kind of hard to use magic when you have no soul,” he said as he lifted what appeared to be a glass cube containing a glowing white orb.

“What? No! Tress, don’t leave me. I can’t live without you,” Wizard said as tears began rolling down his face.

“I’m sorry, my love, but I can’t hold on any longer,” Enchantress said with her penultimate breath. “Goodbye.”

Then she was gone. Wizard cried over her body for a few more seconds, before gently setting her down and standing up. He remained slouched, with his eyes on his feet, almost like a zombie. If Warlock could have seen his eyes, he would have seen no life in them at all.

But then, all at once, his eyes lit up with the burning rage of a thousand suns, glowing pure red. Red electricity poured from the corners as he snapped to a full standing position and he glared at Warlock, yelling, “YOU SON OF A CHARMING YOUNG WOMAN, I’LL ***************** KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID!!!

He lunged at his former colleague and now sworn enemy with the agility of a thousand cheetahs, channeling his rage into his fist in the form of magic. The punch met with Warlock’s face, sending him flying to the back of the room.

Warlock returned to his feet, laughing. “I love how you care more about the death of your precious little wife than the eradication of the entire human race.”

“SHE WAS THE ONLY WOMAN I’VE EVER LOVED!!!” Wizard said, making another lunge at Warlock. The target, however, side-stepped and punched Wizard’s head to the ground.

“Tsk, Tsk, Wizard,” The evil one said condescendingly. “Didn’t Pete teach us that we shouldn’t let our emotions compromise our ability to fight?”

Wizard did a flip from the ground and curb-stomped Warlock right into the ground. Warlock disappeared though. *******, a clone Wizard thought before a magical blast sent him flying through the door. The blow to his head against the wall cleared his mind a bit. His eyes returned to normal. He landed next to Sorcerer, who seemed freshly beaten up.

“A few of the traitor’s clones ambushed me. What have I missed?” Sorcerer asked, oblivious to the fact that his sister was killed.

“Pete’s unconscious, my wife is dead, Mage has had his soul stolen, and we’re the last humans left alive on the entire planet,” Wizard said, still angry for everything that had happened.

Sorcerer shed a tear as he quietly said, “regrettable.”

The two stood up, facing Warlock as he came in.

“Shall we hit him with everything we’ve got?” Sorcerer asked, charging his most powerful binding spell.

“Not like we’ve got much of a choice,” Wizard said, charging up for their first and last attack.

Warlock was taken by surprise by the binding spell. The spell stopped his access to the flow of magic, leaving him defenseless and also rendering him immobile.

The two charged up their combined attacks as they listed of a list of loved ones he had killed.

“This is for Mom, Dad, Friend, even Creepy Neighbor, but most importantly, my wife,” Wizard said as he built up what can only be described as a spirit bomb to rival even Goku’s.

“This is for, My parents, Librarian, All my friends, and my sister,” Sorcerer added as he helped build the blast stronger.

When every ounce of magical energy flowing within a five mile radius of the cave, including every room in the cave complex and all the books, was in the blast, they released it as they yelled in unison, “THIS IS FOR EVERYONE!!!”

Once the explosion was cleared, all that remained was the original cave, Pete, just waking, Enchantress’s body, Sorcerer and Wizard, and a soulless Mage where
Warlock was before. Above mage, written magically, were the words “I left hours ago. You’ll never find me.”
--------------
Enchantress was given a proper burial. After Mage’s soul was returned, he blamed himself for everything that happened. He disappeared a couple days after the funeral. The blast had attracted the attention of the Gods. Pete and his two remaining apprentices were brought to the heavens to stand trial, or as close to one as Heaven got back then.
----------------
One god sat at a desk, while Pete stood in front with his head held high. Sorcerer and Wizard, however, were hanging their heads, resigning themselves to whatever may come. They were the last Humans on Earth. “Pete, You stole our excess magic and freed it for mortals to use as they wish. You trained five humans in its use, one of whom went on to use it to extinguish all of our creations on Earth. You gave the humans free reign over magic, and they chose destruction. I think this proves that our methods were correct.”

Wizard spoke up now. “He only chose destruction because the lives the humans were living were no better than death.”

The god glared at Wizard. Wizard glared back and the god recoiled. “Okay, maybe our way did drive him to it. That doesn’t change the fact that Pete stole the magic. I’ll go a bit lenient. We already sentenced your accomplice to guard duty in Hell. We’ve agreed to charge two of our celestial agents with making sure you don’t do anything this stupid again.” The god pointed to the door as Great Kitsune and Spirit Dragon entered. “We’ve already made a web of cause and effect in the world to prevent something like this from happening again. If it does happen, there will be infinite universes remaining in which it doesn’t. We took some intelligence from your creations, but we forgot to do it before the multiverse was in place, so there are already two sets of universes. One in which many of the beasts are dumb, and one where they aren’t. As for the lack of our creations, we’ll be slowly altering some of the offspring of your primates. In a few millennia, there will be humans again.”

The god sighed before continuing. “We’ll leave the magical creatures and the magic flowing through the multiverse. Wizard, Sorcerer, you’ll be in charge of making sure the humans don’t use the power for mass genocide again. You’re free from the constraints of the multiverse. Teach them well. You may all go.”
---------------
After that, not much happened. Pete went on to play U&U in the infinite game room.

Sorcerer went down and waited for humans to return. He taught humans in the art of magic until Medieval times. He decided then that he’d lived long enough. He died peacefully under the alias of Merlin.

Wizard returned to the cave. He transferred it somewhere else so the gods wouldn’t find him. He mourned his wife for a couple thousand years. Eventually, he started drowning his sorrow in beautiful women whom he trained to use magic. They distracted him, yes, but not one of them could hold a candle to Tress. His harem of witches was eventually joined by one who could, but by that point he realized that he could never move on. Then Brent came along. He was reminded of himself as a young man, so after messing with him a little, he trained him as his apprentice. His decision was helped by the fact that the Gods had started to take followers again. They hadn’t changed, and they were coming after Wizard. And what’s worse, Warlock returned. Brent, Jessica, and Wizard defeated Warlock and the gods. This just about brings us back to where we are now.
------------------------
End of the flashback. Next will be back in Babylon Gardens.

now for a behind the scenes on my naming of the five.
Wizard: was already decided, but I'd never thought of names for the others.
Sorcerer: because I knew he was Merlin, and he was the one in Disney's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice."
Enchantress: because Wizard was enchanted by her beauty.
Warlock: Doesn't it just sound evil to you? apparently its root word means "deceiver". You guys should have seen his betrayal coming.
Mage: I had white mages in my head. I knew he'd be the real nice one, so I chose that.

be sure to catch my mistakes, it's 5:30 AM as I post this and it's two whole updates written over a couple days. I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes.

also, I wanna give my fic a real title, but I can't think of a good one. Please PM me ideas, and if I like it, I may use it as the name of my fic.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

One thing... Merlin did not die. He is trapped in an old Oak tree by the lake that the Lady Of The Lake dwells in. She trapped him there with magic he taught her, and will be imprisoned there for all eternity, or at least until she decides to free him. :roll:

Great story, but as a ginger, I found the whole Gingers have no souls thing a little too based in reality. :lol:
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

copper wrote:One thing... Merlin did not die. He is trapped in an old Oak tree by the lake that the Lady Of The Lake dwells in. She trapped him there with magic he taught her, and will be imprisoned there for all eternity, or at least until she decides to free him. :roll:
that's what he wanted you to think, but I know the real story. He wanted to seem like a tragic hero who was betrayed instead of just someone who decided to let himself die. [/proretconning]
(I probably should have actually read up on Merlin before including him in my fic.)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I lve folklore and mythology. That Lady of the Lake.... she was quite the character... :roll:
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hey guys. sorry it's been half a month, but to make it up to you... you know how some authors do a Q & A with their original characters? (Lightwolf21 comes to mind.)
well, I just made it so you can ask my characters questions non-stop and get immediate answers: a Tumblr Ask blog (deleted)
feel free to go there and ask The Wizard, Drake, Jess, and Gemini questions.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Sounds interesting indeed. I shall check it out when the internet no longer amuses me. :roll:
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

alright a few notes.
1) I could tell you that I lost the update when my laptop died, but I only had one paragraph written of it. I've been lazy.
2) I'm gonna write it tonight. no Doctor Who for me tonight. tonight.
3) I've settled on Paradigm Shift as the title since only two people suggested things and none of them jumped out as a clear title for my fic. I'll change it at the end of the week. or sometime before then, I'm not good with sticking to a schedule.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

and here it is. We're back to focusing on the characters you know and love. as always, no proofreading, so feel free to correct any errors I made. also make suggestions on where I can improve. I hope I haven't lost any readers in my lack of posting.

Previously on Paradigm Shift:
Gemini walked up to Max and asked, “What are you doing?”

“Pranking,” was Max’s response.
“We are the formless one,” the voices explained. “We are the souls that failed to complete their earthly purpose before death.”

“That sounds awesome. But why are you talking to me?” she asked, still puzzled.

“You and your brothers will serve as important players in an upcoming battle,” was the response. “We need imaginative minds to give us form. Your ability to see
past the logical and into the insane is crucial. You will have access to the many souls that are part of us. You need only think of an object and we will take the form. It is very much like the power of the Green Lantern Corps, but there are no rings of limited energy capacity.”
“I am a creation of the gods, created to give balance to the foretold ‘Opener of Ways’”
various reminiscing by powerful beings
”No! You can’t die on me!” the purple cat sobbed, draping herself over the body of her soul mate. “I… I can’t go on without you.” But the dog’s eyes closed as

Oh wait, that last one hasn’t happened yet. My bad. :oops:

Oh well, on with the show. Here’s:

Part 10
------------
10 AM

Another seemingly long amount of time later, but actually a short while before, in the Milton mansion, Lana was having fun playing with her new powers while I described it in a sentence with too many commas.

As soon as she had woken up from her “or was it” moment, she began to put her new powers to very good use: repairing the pneumatic tube system so she could have some fun.

While gliding along, she wound up in the rambunctorium, where Keene was being rambunctious. But he noticed something odd.

“Didn’t I break those things last week?” he asked his sister as she stepped out of the tube.

“Earlier this week, actually,” she responded. “I fixed it with my new super powers.”

“You got super powers? Where can I buy those?” Keene asked, jealous of Lana’s new acquisition.

“Be calm, Keene Milton. My powers are for your entire clan to use,” the Formless One chimed in. Keen looked towards the voices, but they didn’t seem to come from anywhere, but at the same time they seemed to come from everywhere.

“Okay, I’m hearing voices and I haven’t even had any orange soda today. What’s going on? Am I dreaming?” Keene asked confusion evident in his voice.
“Well, I went out into the neighborhood and met this cute rabbit who took me to see this old guy who spoke in limericks and then he took me into that weird temple thing…”

“The one I sent that fox to investigate?” Keene interrupted.

“Yeah, that’s the one. I guess he was on break or something. Anyway, I get in there and start pushing buttons then everything went dark. Something calling itself the Formless One said it would give us all Green Lantern-esque powers to play a part in some big battle or something. So we all have powers now.” Lana proceeded to hold her paws in front of her as if she were holding a sword. Then, where there was nothing, she was holding a light saber.

Keene’s eyes grew wide. “So I just… think about something and it becomes reality?”

“pretty much,” Lana replied.
----------------
In the Milton Mansion Theater, Duke was watching Star Wars: A New Hope, when suddenly he heard mechanical breathing coming from behind him. He turned to see a ferret sized Darth Vader. The mini Sith lord activated his red light saber, and in James Earl Jones’s voice, said “Duke, I am your brother.”

Then a Lana came in through the other entrance wearing a Princess Leia costume and added, “And I’m your sister, Princess Lana.”
-------------------
Back inside the Arbelt house, Tiger was standing in his usual spot next to the conveniently placed table. Marvin then entered the room.

“Tiger, I know you’re worried about messing up this date,” the orange cat said, “So I brought someone who has a lot of experience with dates to give you a few pointers.”

“Is it Fido?” tiger asked.

“No,” was all Marvin said. “You can come in now,” he said to the door.

In walked Sasha, in all her clueless glory. “Oh, hey Tiger. I never thanked you for that box of white chocolates you gave me for Valentine’s Day,” she said, wagging her tail furiously.

“I… didn’t give you a gift for Valentine’s day,” Tiger said confusedly.

“Oh, was it for my birthday then?” She asked with a puzzled look on her cute little face.

“I’ve never given you anything, actually.”

“Oh, well, if I don’t have anything to thank you for, I guess I’ll get back to what I was doing. Marvin asked me to help Tiger prepare for his date with Daisy, so I have to get over to their house,” she said as she walked towards the door.

“Sasha, you’re already in our house,” Marvin said before she could leave.

“Oh, hey Marvin, hey Tiger,” she said, wagging her tail as Tiger and Marvin both facepawlmed.
------------
At the Wizard residence, King and the wolf cubs exited the house, soon followed by Cosmo.

“So, uhhh… King, right? I’ve never actually talked to you,” Cosmo said. “I remember you getting naked at the Fourth of July party a while back. And Bino messing with you even farther back. Other than Bino, have you been enjoying your stay here?”

“Yeah, it’s been relaxing other than him… at least until Pete came back… So how much do you actually know?” King said, looking nervously at Cosmo… and then at the wolves cause he didn’t know how much they knew, either, and had to live with them.

“We know everything, Joel,” the black dog said calmly. “They’ll forget after this whole mess with universe destruction is settled. I won’t, since I was an avatar for the actual game.”

“Just don’t tell…” King started to say before Cosmo interrupted.

“I won’t tell anyone who doesn’t need to know. Fox may be my friend, but he did break my sister’s heart. I can keep secrets.”

“Who’s your sister?” King asked, making small talk as he sat on the grass in front of a tree.

“Her name’s Daisy. It’s likely that’s all you would know about her,” Cosmo answered, rolling his eyes as he sat to King’s right.

“I think I met her. Black fur, sort of a creepy smile?”

“That’s her. That’s only because she’s sometimes nervous meeting people. When you get to know her, she’s actually really nice.”

“So Fox dated her? I didn’t even think he’d ever dated,” King replied, looking up at the sky.

“It actually didn’t end that well. I’m not surprised. So what about you? Do you have anyone?”

“I’m in a long distance relationship with Fox’s cousin. Things are going pretty well.”

“Bailey. Nice catch, dude. I met her when she visited a few years back. She gave Sasha a run for her money.”

King blushed a little. “It’s… still a little weird, being in a relationship with a dog. But I’m still thankful that I met her.”

“Well,” Cosmo said as if he were holding a glass, “here’s to you, Mr. Robinson.”
-----------
12 PM

Back in the streets of Babylon Gardens, Grape, Sabrina, Hex, and Drake were walking along, having recently left Joey and Cadence to cuddle in his dog house.
They had spent a few hours asking them questions about their relationship. Now they really had nothing to do.

Then Peanut ran up to them. “Oh, there you are Grape. I was bored and wanted to see if you wanted to play imaginate with me,” He said.

“Well, I guess I’m not doing anything right now. Sure,” Grape said.

“Can I join? I love playing with you two,” Sabrina said. “It’s always so fun.”

“Mind if I join?” Drake asked. “I’ve heard Tarot talk about your games. I also heard she put an embargo on her holodeck powers. Well she’s not the only one who can make things seem real,” He said with a wink.

Then, at the snap of his fingers, he sprouted a pair of red dragon wings and began to hover an inch off the ground.

“Awesome, let’s go!” Peanut said. The group began to head towards the Sandwich house. Drake landed and his wings receded into his fur, as if melting. Hex smacked the back of his head for doing that out in public.

In the bushes nearby, Lester sat, watching them. “I knew it,” he whispered. “It is them. The characters from my favorite webcomic are really here in Babylon Gardens. Oh, Jessica, you may be a human, but I’ll win you from that undeserving Brett. I will make you mine.” A sly grin stretched across his face.
------------
there you have it. as always, I'll try to update more often from now on.
and as always, I'll probably not update for a little over a month.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Keene’s eyes grew wide. “So I just… think about something and it becomes reality?”

“pretty much,” Lana replied.
Oh.
No.

Brent, what have you done? We are all doomed.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

don't worry, their money already had pretty much the same power, it just took a little longer.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

But...

What about the things they may want that money can't get?
Things like, oh, say A PET T-REX?!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

JeffCvt wrote:But...

What about the things they may want that money can't get?
Things like, oh, say A PET T-REX?!
you think that money can't get them that?
I've already pointed out that they have Thylacines and a magical leoplurodon.
Science is a wonderful thing, but expensive.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Paradigm Shift

Post by copper »

So many references, so much fourth wa-..... wait, there is no fourth wall here! EVERYBODY RUN!!!!! :roll:

Nice update. I like how Lester can now have his fanboy fantasy come true.

So King is stuck in the thick of it all, and no help at all is to come. My, oh my.
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Paradigm Shift

Hey. two updates one week apart. I'm getting better.
nothing to say, so here's:

Part 11
--------
Still basically 12 PM

When the group got back to the Sandwich house, Max was sitting by the bushes in front of their door.

“Oh, good. I thought I’d be waiting forever. I would have frozen to death out here,” the black cat said in a melodramatic voice.

“Maxie, it’s 70 degrees out here,” She said with her paws on her hips. “Now, what did you want?”

“Well, I finished preparation for my next big prank and got bored, so I was going to ask if you wanted to do something,” Max replied.

“Oh, well we all were about to go play a game of imaginate,” she told him. “Apparently Drake here can make illusions like Tarot can. And he’s willing to use them for our game.

“Interesting, because I’m also willing to use my illusions,” Max said with his trademark grin on his face.

“What are you…” she started to ask before Max popped up behind her, wrapping his arms around her full body and trapping her arms under his.

“GAH!” she screamed. Most of the rest of the group was laughing. Peanut was the only one that wasn’t able to sense that it wasn’t really Max. The brown furred mutt just stood there, confused as to how there were two Maxes.

“Meet Gemini, my new friend,” the real Max said as a different black cat stood in place of the Max they were talking too.

When Grape’s heart had returned to its normal pace, she muttered something about the bell on Max’s collar. Then she said, “You realize you’re all going to die now, right? That goes double for you, Maxie.”

“Then I shall die a happy tom,” Max replied as he turned Grape in his arms and kissed her.

Grape melted into his arms, returning the kiss and purring. She then pulled away and said, “Okay, you can all live.”

And there was much rejoicing.

After Grape was properly introduced to Gemini, the entire group entered the house to play their game.
------------
Back at the Arbelt house, Tiger had gotten a quick lesson on date etiquette from Sasha. They were now ready to have a practice date.

“Okay. First part. Picking her up,” Marvin said. “What do you do first?”

“I knock on the door or ring the doorbell, then stand at attention with the corsage to give her,” Tiger replied in the same manner a student would reply while studying for a test.

“good, but…” Marvin began to correct him before Tiger interrupted.

“But this date isn’t formal enough for a corsage, so I bring her a bouquet instead”

“Good. And when she opens the door?” Marvin asked.

“I present the bouquet, and then walk arm-in-arm with her to the restaurant where we’ll wait to be seated.”

Then Sasha came in to the room, prepared to be seated by Marvin, who was now dressed as a waiter.

“Right this way,” Marvin said as he led the two to their seat.
------
3 PM
After 3 hours of helping to prepare Tiger for his date, Sasha left the Arbelt house. She saw Zach, still sitting in front of that tree in their front yard, and another rabbit who she didn’t know. As she passed, she called out, “Hi, Zach. Hi, new rabbit.”

Zach’s eyes grew wide with surprise. “I thought you said no one else could see you,” he said, turning to Hcaz.

“Did I?” the black rabbit asked, confused. “I meant that not many people can. People and pets with a predisposition towards magic, and even a few with wild imaginations, are able to see me. But how many people like that can exist in one little neighborhood?”

“Oh, well… I guess Sasha fits that second category,” Zach said, still worried that a lot of his friends would be able to see his new ally.

“Well, let’s get back to planning for this battle you’ll be a part of.” The two rabbits went back to strategizing. Or rather, Hcaz continued strategizing while Zach worried about what was to come.
-----------
Sasha continued on her way to see Bino. She felt like it had been too long since their last real date, so she felt like getting him to take him to Heathcliff’s tonight.

Bino wasn’t the greatest of boyfriends, but heaven knows that Sasha could be a better girlfriend. It had only been so long since their last date because every time he asked her, she already had plans to go out with his brother. Fido didn’t think they were dates, of course. He thought they were just going out as friends.

Then, whenever she asked him out, he was busy throwing himself into his role as leader of the local dogs. This was a vicious cycle. He ignored her for work until she was lonely enough to trick Fido into a date, then he got so upset with her that he needed to use work to distract himself.

But this time would be different. She hadn’t gone on a date with Fido for months. Partially because he’d been busy every time she tried, but mostly because she wanted herself and Bino to be more like a real couple.

She knocked on the door to the GODC clubhouse. She figured Bino would probably still be in there after the meeting earlier.

“Come in,” he shouted from inside.

As she walked in, she saw Bino standing in front of a bulletin board with pictures pinned to it, studying it intently.

“What are you up to?” Sasha asked, tilting her head to the side with a curious look on her face. The pictures were of Lester, Tiberius, Peanut, and a new dog

“This is my wall of shame,” He said, still studying the pictures. “I have reason to believe all of these dogs are cat lovers. I just need to find a reason other than that to kick them out of the club or Fido will just let them back in.”

“Shouldn’t Joey be on this wall, too?” she asked, raising here eyebrow.

“I can’t kick out my own little brother. That would just be mean,” He said, looking hurt by the very idea of kicking Joey out of the club.

“Isn’t that a double jeopardy?” she asked. (Of course, she meant double standard.)

“How does this have anything to do with Jeopardy?” Bino asked, confusedly tilting his head and looking at Sasha.

After a few seconds of thinking, she shrugged her shoulders and said, “I have no idea... so, apparently Tiger has a date a Heathcliff’s tonight.”

“Oh, great. Do I have to add another cat lover to my wall?” he asked, turning his attention back to the bulletin board.

“He isn’t going with a cat, he’s going with Daisy.”

Bino smirked and said “Then I guess I’ll have to get a picture of her for my wall.”

“You know, one day he’s going to get back at you for making fun of him so much,” She said with a smile.

“Oh no, he might hack a hairball at me,” Bino said before bursting into laughter.

Sasha sighed. “Anyway, did you want to go to Heathcliff’s tonight? We haven’t gone out for a while.”

When Bino had finished laughing, he responded, “sure. It might be good for me to get away from work for a night.”

“How about we go upstairs and have a pre-date snuggle session?” Sasha asked, wagging her tail.

Where Bino was standing before, there was only a cloud of dust. From upstairs, Bino asked “Are you coming or what?”
------
Back over at the Milton mansion, there were ferrets flying around, rebuilding the mansion almost as quickly as they destroyed it. The ferrets had never been so reckless, and yet the mansion had never been so free from harm.

They were having immeasurable amounts of fun (which isn’t saying much considering there’s really no way of measuring fun), yet Lana found herself thinking about Zach. “I wonder if he got out of that cave. I should go check on him.”

And with that, she flew out of the window to go talk to her new rabbit friend.
------------------------
to be continued next time whenever that is. as always, no proof-reading, so feel free to point out any mistakes I made. or any way you feel I could improve my writing. (Karlos, If you're reading and not commenting, please feel free to critique. =P)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets