HPU: Exotic Acres OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Celicam

Re: Pet Friendly: Exotic Acres OOC

Post by Celicam »

musclecar326 wrote:
Leafolawl wrote:There is one thing in specific that was required: Details on the house location and the size of the yard.

My character Tesla live in the dessert area, on one acre of land, which is a bear minimum for most exotic pets.

I don't see why they wouldn't be exempt from this, since the originals had to put this in their posts.
I'm not sure why but I've been completely blanking lately. So i forgot about the house size and locations as well. Excuse my stupidity, but can the newcomers please add that to their character sheet. If you don't know refer to my first post on page 1. Thank you.
Done and done.

EDIT: W00t first on page 5.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Added house location and size to character sheet, and there is reason for what I've chosen...though that will only become obvious if/when I can manage to get a second character.

That aside though...I need to ask both which season it is and how far into said season it's supposed to be before I can make my first post.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Its the begining of springtime, only a few weeks after winter. And its about 2 or 3 in the afternoon.
Yes, I am a furry.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Malkus wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:he's been waiting for a spot, I believe he's wondering if he's eligible to join if he submits a character sheet.
Exactly. I simply didn't want to sound greedy or impatient.
You've already submitted a character sheet so if you have your speech color, and house location/size in the sheet. Your ready to go.
Yes, I am a furry.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

musclecar326 wrote:
Malkus wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:he's been waiting for a spot, I believe he's wondering if he's eligible to join if he submits a character sheet.
Exactly. I simply didn't want to sound greedy or impatient.
You've already submitted a character sheet so if you have your speech color, and house location/size in the sheet. Your ready to go.
Thank you. I'll have my first post up either tonight or in a few minutes.
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

Location details posted up and all.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

So I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now....what's the policy on meat? What's okay to eat and what's not? I'd hate to say I'm eating someone's cousin...that could set things off on the wrong foot.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well, whatever the animal actually eats seems fine. One of the ones at the pizza place ordered rabbit meat. my character ordered buffalo.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Malkus wrote:So I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now....what's the policy on meat? What's okay to eat and what's not? I'd hate to say I'm eating someone's cousin...that could set things off on the wrong foot.
Basically what brent said, but also don't have any meats that are the same species as one of the animals that live here.
Yes, I am a furry.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

musclecar326 wrote:
Malkus wrote:So I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now....what's the policy on meat? What's okay to eat and what's not? I'd hate to say I'm eating someone's cousin...that could set things off on the wrong foot.
Basically what brent said, but also don't have any meats that are the same species as one of the animals that live here.
We don't have any deer hanging around, right?
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Malkus wrote:
musclecar326 wrote:
So far we don't have any prey species. We do have a few predators that can be eaten though so avoid them.
Yes, I am a furry.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

musclecar326 wrote:
Malkus wrote:
musclecar326 wrote:Basically what brent said, but also don't have any meats that are the same species as one of the animals that live here.
So far we don't have any prey species. We do have a few predators that can be eaten though so avoid them.
Capuchin Monkey.....yum?

I'm not sure I'd want to eat monkey even if it WERE legal ICly. There really aren't very many monkeys in northern Canada/Greenland/Arctic areas.
Celicam

Post by Celicam »

Easy for you to say. Bears aren't very picky eaters xD Now if only my character wasn't so shy, he'd might be able to actually catch something.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Just to help everyone out. I'm working on a rough draft map on where everything is. So that people can say exactly where they are and what house they live in. I'll try and have it up tomorrow.
Yes, I am a furry.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

musclecar326 wrote:Just to help everyone out. I'm working on a rough draft map on where everything is. So that people can say exactly where they are and what house they live in. I'll try and have it up tomorrow.
Sounds good. It'll be nice to know where everything is.
Celicam

Post by Celicam »

Couldn't have asked for a better person to find me! xD
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I'd like to ask how far away it is a bear can smell stuff, because I've heard they can smell honey from a mile away. I'd assume this is in an unobstructed environment with the wind carrying it to them, aside from trees and other animals, which would do little to cover a scent.

Now, here is my big issue with the scent thing; It's not something that can determine groups from a distance. Being able to tell things were at a specific area, yes. Being able to tell who hung out with who, yes. Being able to tell who's hanging out with who, how could one even explain that feat from scents carried in the wind? And even then, how did the scents get passed the scent of burning gas and oil from the road and running engines?

Fennec foxes are capable of hearing up to two and a half miles away from what I've read about them, and I assume that is in an open and unobstructed environment, so I will remove up to a mile based on how enclosed the area is, and then up to another three quarter miles based on how much noise there is. That leaves Tesla with three quarter miles of hearing in the most obstructed environment.

I'm just doing this because Tesla, with a perception of 9, would have a hard time picking up as much info as Domovoi, with his perception of 7, got in a moment's notice with his nose as she would with her ears over a few moments at that distance.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Celicam

Post by Celicam »

Yeah....Should prolly tone that down a bit. However, one CAN determine distance of a smell, by how strong the scent is. If it's very faint, you can assume the smell is farther away. If it's stronger, you can assume that they are closer. But yeah, that's prolly my fault with the whole smell thing. Rping a bear is plenty different from a dog or cat. :/ Sorry bout that! xD
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Now I add three variables.

1. Wind will blow a scent around, which is easy to get around, if you know exactly how fast the wind is blowing.
2. Scents will cling to surfaces. They do eventually vanish, but it's progressive. A scent fades away, getting weaker over time.
3. Potency. This doesn't mean much when talking about living things, unless they've been rolling in their own scent markings, but some objects that share a basic smell will smell stronger than another, or large amounts smelling stronger than small amounts.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff...

Where is my award for being the most lifeless person here?
Love me right now! Done.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

I have finished the map, but i can't upload it due to the file being to large. Is there a way around that?
Yes, I am a furry.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

upload it to a separate site and link to it. or post the image here with the image tag, but it would stretch the page, so a link would be preferable.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Here is my rough draft map of EA. Pm me of the approximate place of your pet's house.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... smap1.gif/
Last edited by musclecar326 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, I am a furry.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Cool. Bowling, arcades, Sandwiches!
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

The map feels small... I've been to a LOT of small towns, but the layout there doesn't fit small towns at all...

Usually you get a string of businesses, some town houses and another string of businesses or things end up being more spread out perhaps.... My home town has perhaps 3 major stretches of businesses that follow along 2 main roads, and radiating out from those roads, there's mostly houses and smaller businesses...

The clustering the places all in one place just feels more like as little roadside mall than a town...

*Returns to relieving headache from finals*
Celicam

Post by Celicam »

Sushi sound good to you Roarin? Dom has a yearning for some salmon...Maybe this place will offer the whole fish raw? :3
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

razgriz wrote:The map feels small... I've been to a LOT of small towns, but the layout there doesn't fit small towns at all...

Usually you get a string of businesses, some town houses and another string of businesses or things end up being more spread out perhaps.... My home town has perhaps 3 major stretches of businesses that follow along 2 main roads, and radiating out from those roads, there's mostly houses and smaller businesses...

The clustering the places all in one place just feels more like as little roadside mall than a town...

*Returns to relieving headache from finals*
Finals...*grumble grumble*

Anyway, yeah. It does look a bit small. Is it possible for you to label the different environments on there?

And perhaps make it a bit bigger as well. Gustave and Van live out in the middle of the woods.
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

It depends what he's making it in... I'd perhaps use Gimp and some stock images to generate the landscape and then draw lines for where the buildings are and finish off with more stock assets to create the satelite like view... In theory the area can be expanded as well by altering the canvas size.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Yes i do realize that this map is low quality and small. But it's the best i can do, I made this in OpenOffice. I'm a noob to the image making community, i don't even know how to use photoshop. I've never heard of most tools used for making images.
Yes, I am a furry.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Celicam wrote:Sushi sound good to you Roarin? Dom has a yearning for some salmon...Maybe this place will offer the whole fish raw? :3
sounds good 2 me. :D

Ref Ref!
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Is there still space for new characters?
Call me Red or Harley, either is fine.

Characters:
(BsM)
Mason Castor: S-4 P-4 E-7 C-8 I-6 A-8 L-5
(EC)
Parker Vester: S-9 P-7 E-8 C-5 I-4 A-6 L-3
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

I don't think so since i just added 5 spots recently. So I won't have any more spots for a while.
---------
Also Shirosune had to change his speech color due too him and Malkus having the same.
Yes, I am a furry.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Tesla is still hiding behind everyone, just as a heads up. And she doesn't intend on coming out of hiding until she knows she's found.
Love me right now! Done.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

yeah i was planning on asking Tesla what shes doing as soon as Malkus replies. But he hasn't yet and its been close to a week.
Yes, I am a furry.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Musclecar, I recommend adding the map to your first post.
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

I'm allowed a second character, right? I'm thinking of giving Soren a little leopard brother.. maybe...
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

You are allowed a second character but not right now. When i open up some more spots you can figure out how to add him.
Yes, I am a furry.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Sorry for the slow week in my department. My professors decided that this week was test week. Three tests in two days.
*shudder*
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

So, here's my second character for when he's allowed in.

-Name-
Cody "Crazy Cat" Tesla

-Character Type-
Main

-Species-
Snow Leopard

-Age-
14 Pet years

-Neighborhood-
Exotic Acres

-Appearance-
Cody is a young Snow Leopard, still growing. He has fairly small ears and wild blue eyes like an ocean. His fur is extremely well groomed and can occasionally be found with glow in the dark paint in his fur or matte paint to change his fur color entirely. It has a purpose, its part of his job. Build wise, his entire life is athletics, so, he's a good runner and has very well sharpened claws.

Outside of his working environment, he tends to wear just the necessities. His collar is a brown color that blends with his spots and has in it a cellphone, his wallet, a pocket knife and some other useful things. Occasionally he can e seen with a small brown bag with a black paw print on the back of it which contains his computer, toiletries/appearance things, rope and all the things you'd never expect to need.

-Personality-
Cody is a live-wire to say the least. His life has been a lot of traveling and a load of adrenaline rushes. He's done a number of circus acts, from jumping through hoops to the trapeze. Its a very exciting and fairly tiring life style, but it lets him see and experience the world. He's pretty well read on culture, has read a lot of books, knows bits and pieces of various languages and comes in very close to being fearless.

Due to his circus-life, he naturally trusts just about everyone. When the show is on, he doesn't have time to worry about trust, its time to move and get things done, immediately. That said, well, he doesn't question others... Then they stab him in the back and he makes them pay in some way. He's got friends in high places, friends in low places and a pretty good temper to pursue his enemies when they reappear. Its wise not to lose his trust... A further step of that, its wise not to hurt his friends. The Circus is a tight family. Everyone has to stick together.

As far as anything else is concerned, life's good. Life is meant to be lived. Lets relax and get it over with. Albeit, he does have one or two pet-peeves. These are in the form of cruel people, snobs and anyone being ignorant. That sets him off immediately.

-History-
Cody was born in the wild. He spent about a month or so being raised as a feral before things went wrong for him. The little bit of land he lived on got cleared for human houses to be put in. This separated him from his siblings. That really sucked. His only real luck came in when he was found near a set of train tracks. He heard the train's horn, leaped off the tracks and the train stopped fearing they'd run him over. Luckily, he wasn't. Further, in fact, he got adopted that day. This train was a traveling circus group, enroute from Russia to India and from there into Europe. There couldn't be any dead weight with the fairly tight budget of the travelers, so, he got integrated into their acts immediately. At first it was relatively simple things like a cute little cub cartwheeling around and messing with the ring master every now and then among other odd jobs. This built up until he was part of a tight rope act, then some crazy glowing shapes act and eventually a high-flying trapeze act.

Along the way, he met Soren. Suffice it to say, they shared an act briefly for the few days the circus was near the Snow Leopard and the rest basically is history. They have met a few times and maintained contact at first through mail, then through cell phones, web chats, email and now in the modern era, the amazing thing called Video Chatting with things like face time. Ultimately, Soren's dad did actually legally adopt Cody (it made things legally easier for the circus as various anti-poaching laws made it a struggle for them to keep the leopard around). By that point they already called each other brothers. Now the law supported it is all.

In all of this, he grew up as a citizen of the world. His culture had elements of just about every religious, ethnic, and culture group. While he missed out on the schooling and everyday life of the average pet, he gained a thoroughly knowledge of everywhere. Just don't ask him who Napoleon is, where Valley Forge is or whether to get a Prius or first generation Hummer. He won't know the answers in anyway. Those don't matter though, he can answer all the philosophical questions and things about life. Those matter most.

Recently, the legal-issues with the circus have become a tad more complicated. A tent fell, people got hurt and a lot of animals got some real nasty hospital stays. Afterward, the investigation into things brought up elements of a scandal, some money and insurance issues and ultimately: the ultimate blockade to the circus. They'll survive, of course, but, for now, everyone is on vacation while things calm down. Though, there's been rumours of the circus continuing in small theaters, which, is legally permissable. It will certainly make things easier financially.

In the meantime, however, Cody has arranged passage to Exotic Acres to live with his brother. Its just that he hasn't called ahead.

After years of traveling and moving around, Cody has now finally moved from small train car and hotel rooms to what can be called a serious home. His home consists of two above ground floors and the attic above that and a basement below it all that connects to the garage like a subfloor of sorts. The garage itself is home to some of his brother's science experiments and a large number of heavy tools. His basement is the next source of heavy equipment and some special high voltage gear.

The first floor has a large porch along the front of the house with a big door leading into the back of the living room. This takes up about a quarter of the house. It has several couches and chairs lined up so that some form a circle around a coffee table and others form rows leading up to the TV. A large archway towards the back of the house leads into the Kitchen and dining area, which also occupies a quarter of the house. The kitchen has a window with a set of blinds to connect it to the dining room along with a large door. Inside, a gas range and oven, large freezer, dishwasher and sink orbit around a central island with an electrical cook surface, overhead lights and barstools so that it may double as a dining table.

The back of the house is largely storage, a small bathroom and the home theater. This is a serious theater with stadium-rows of couches and a large projection screen. It is meant to truly bring theater into the house.

Accessing the next floor up is done by a set of stairs next to the steps going down to the garage. This leads up to a large, straight hallway running from one end of the house to the other. It contains a large library room, a small networking/computer room, study/home office, guest bedrooms, master bathroom and Mr. Tesla's bedroom.

The attic stairs are hidden by the main ones in a very elaborate dropdown staircase which is basically a full set of stairs rather than a small rickety ladder. This whole area is largely Soren's domain, though, now he shares it with Cody. The area is largely three rooms. The first from the stairs is an area to relax, it has carpets, bean-bag chairs, large bowl-shaped chairs, gaming chairs, bookshelves, windows and plenty of legos and similar toys he never outgrew. Finally, there are skylights here. Not just for letting light in, but glass ones that you look up and see the starry sky through. Next his his bedroom which has two large sliding doors that are usually left open. This room runs from the end of the relaxing room all the way to the end of the house. Inside he has his bed above Soren's (hammock/bunk set up) and counters wrapping around from the end-wall, to the front roof-wall. The door-wall has bookshelves lining it to contain any books, movies or games he doesn't have elsewhere. The counterspace is occupied by arduino's, soldering equipment, some camera stuff, science books, and various bits of computer hardware wired together via ethernet and thunderbolt so as to seamlessly connect a Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro 17", Mac Book Air and a Mac Pro which are Soren's. He is a bit more minimal, a Mac Mini and Macbook Air meet all of his needs.

Outside is a good three acres of land that is mostly open with pine trees and a few leaf-bearing trees. The house itself is located on the edge of the suburbs/housing areas outside the center of town facing the mountains.

-Other Notes-
-Well traveled
-Protective
-Extremely kind to all people by nature
-Has a habit of climbing things he shouldn't
-Native of Europe, met Soren at a young age, shortly therafter separated but very close pen-pal (now facetime friend :P) Pretty much brothers.
-Has spent most of his life in the circus. Currently a combination of legal battles and paperwork has stalled the circus due to a money thing related to a tent collapse. So, nice long vacation, HO!
-Is GENETICALLY Soren's brother due to a very long series of complex events. This is not yet known to either of them.

-SPECIAL-
Strength- 9 (Okay, counter-weights, going up)
Perception- 8 (0.225 seconds to jumping off the trapeze to be caught by that cannonball guy behind me.)
Endurance- 8 (Circus show length: 4 hours, rehearsal: 18 hours)
Charisma- 2 (Okay, okay, I don't get ANYTHING about everyday life... so, please just get on the dangerous trapeze)
Intelligence- 4 (Guten tag, I love Berlin, the pizza shop on fourth street is great. You should also try that little coffee shop in the middle of london... What's a cheesesteak?)
Agility-9 (Nah-Nah, you can't catch me!)
Luck-2 (If anything can go wrong, it will do so at the least opportune moment.. SO Murphy, if you show up... I'm making sure you pay for it with me.) <reference to Murphy's Law>

Colors = 008080

Note: Location largely copied from Soren, tweaked a bit. Errors may be present.
Last edited by razgriz on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

That looks good razgriz. Next time slots open you can add him.

On another note Celicam has not been on for close to a month for no reason, so if he doesn't get back on and start RPing by june 28th he will become an inactive character.

So if your character was talking with him move on and have them do something.
Yes, I am a furry.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

I'll try to Send a PM to him.

Ref Ref!