HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

angelusbr

Re: HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

Post by angelusbr »

Starts to munch some food while reading this.
me gusta.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Sneaky Macaw is sneaky. >.>
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

lightwolf21 wrote:Sneaky Macaw is sneaky. >.>
Agreed.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

He knows well how to play the game.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

Lucky Charm Grove for the Abandoned and the Ferals, Babylon Gardens

In a way, Volant was…disappointed.
He knew he wasn’t the most popular animal among the shelter’s guests, that much had been made clear to him before he went to the mess hall, after the first round of school.
A school for animals is something stupid! We’re not certainly supposed to get human jobs, or to live off our own wage! These stupid animals should be training in showing adorable faces to their future owners! Where was I? Oh, yes, popularity.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback had expected to become the object of all the classical ‘attentions’ reserved to the unpopular new guy, from tripping to occupying all seats and any other trick to get him into a brawl.
Instead, it had gone really smooth: no one had spoken to him, no one had even looked at him. The whole bunch had ignored him, and he had gladly returned the feeling. Even that annoying pup, Elias, had joined the big family and kept himself at a distance. If only every day here was like this!

“Olà! Looking for a future job already?” asked the raven, as he set down on the dog’s shoulder.
Volant was studying an electronic display showing a series of what were called ‘handiwork classes’. Definitely, an extensive list, much to his surprise. It went from carpentry to cooking, from small repairs to car repairs, and then tailoring, programming, gardening, photography, electrotechnics…
“I am looking for the longest way off class from today. What kept you?”
The raven shrugged. “Ate a lot, took a nap. Aw, you missed me?”
A lot, Volant thought. He had gotten immediately used to the presence of this bird. Piper, he realized, was…well, just an acquaintance. This Nevermore guy was like the sign from above that things could go well after all. Even if he had to spend the rest of his life in this stupid shelter, surrounded by stupid pups looking to imitate humans and their hobbies.
“So, have you made your choice?” Never asked.
Volant shook his head. “I don’t see the point. I don’t want to be adopted, why should I learn something I won’t use?”
“Because right now you don’t understand, but you will: you just can’t sit idle and brood. Without social contacts – that is, if you keep hurting people’s feeling – and without nothing more to do than eat and sleep, you’ll eventually get bored. And no one here wants to get bored. And, before you blah-blah about your own hurt feelings and how tough you are, well, you are at a disadvantage, here: all of the guests here have been hurt, and many of them are tough.”
“Like that Alvaro guy?”
“Yup. But don’t worry: I’ll be there with you when you’ll be spending the next 24 hours in your bed of pain.”
“You should take my side, you know that?”
“I am on your side. I am also worried about you. Wouldn’t it be easier to make friends instead of enemies? No one here did something to offend you, you started this war.”
Volant used the touchscreen to select ‘gardening’. “I’m still entitled to my opinions.”
Never sighed. “Well, Alvaro is sure to be too, and he will imprint his own opinion in your face. Hard. Why the gardening class, by the way?”
“Because I get to be violent against a living thing and not be scolded for it. Happy? Now, it’s still three hours before I teach Alvaro some humility. Where is the gym?”
“I’ll lead you there,” said a voice behind him.
Volant just turned his eyes, while pretending to examine the list. “Oh, Elias. What happened? Did you eat some guts to come back near me this soon?”
The boxer/lab mix looked all sheepish, his arms crossed behind his back and his tail well-tucked between his legs. “I’m sorry, Volant, really.”
“But you couldn’t look like consorting with the enemy. Don’t worry, been there already.”
“You’re not the enemy! I was just *sigh* avoiding to look like consorting with the enemy.
Volant turned and walked away. “As I said before, don’t worry, been there already. At least, this time the wrong alliance doesn’t mean risking one’s life.”
Elias trotted after the big dog. “Did you live alone, when you were a stray?”
“I had no pack, if that’s what you mean. I never liked company, and still don’t.”
Never made as if nudging Elias. “Don’t mind him, lad. He’s a good Grinch, he just doesn’t like to show he’s got a heart.”
Elias chuckled. “Oh, that I knew already. You can’t fool me, Volant: after spending some time here, one learns to tell those who are really mean, and you’re not.”
“And why you are still—Ouch!” that came after Never had pecked Volant on his nose.
“Manners, pup,” the raven said.
“Why am I still here? Because I am waiting to be adopted by someone of the staff and work here, at security!” Elias wagged enthusiastically.
“Like, you have become so institutionalized that you want to play the jailer as well?”
Elias rolled his eyes. “No! I want to make sure that everyone is protected! Even if security’s gotten really tight after the latest events, it’s important that the guests’ safety is ensured 24/7. The human/dog teams’ turnover is frequent since the animals are required to be at peak shape for the job, and I attend all training classes. I don’t think I’ll have to wait long before I can wear a jacket!”
“Yeppy!”
“Stick and stones, stick and stones,” Elias chanted.
Volant groaned. “If I kill him do I get to spend the rest of my life in isolation?” he asked Never…then he was it on the head! “Ouch! Son of charming—what was it?” Then he saw it: a soccer ball. He bent down and grabbed it.
“Hey, new dog!” said a young cat, waving her arm. “Sorry for hitting you! Can you please kick it back?”
Volant smiled. “Sure!”
“That’s more like it,” Never said, nodding in approvation.
Volant made as if to drop the ball and kick it…and he turned at the last moment, kicking the object with all his strength. The ball hit a tree and stuck itself in the branches. “All yours, kitty!” he said, puffing his chest in satisfaction, leaving behind a very glowering cat.
Elias facepawlmed. “I surrender, man! You’re a lost cause!” And he walked away.
“Hey, so you’re actually smart!” Volant called after him, then laughed at his own joke.
As the Ridgeback started walking away, Never fell silent, his eyes turning toward the figure perching over Volant’s left shoulder: another raven, bathed in a greenish aura, who was smiling kindly at his living peer.
<Soon he will be needing you more than ever,> he communicated to Never’s mind. <I know it is difficult, but trust me, it won’t be long yet.>
I wish I had your foresight, Lugh. Right now I too feel like giving up on him. It’s as if he wanted—Then Nevermore understood! And he felt a chill running through his veins: fear. No, he can’t really want to—
Lugh nodded. <He’s made a choice. What will come after that will depend on you. He has no one else, here, right now.>
I wish I was back with Peanut. At least, he was a funny dog.
---
“What do you make of him, Doc?” Bill Lindberg, Director of the Lucky Charm Grove, asked to the figure sitting on a chair, while the security monitors showed every movement and recorded each word of Volant, in all the glory of HD.
Robin Keaton, the shelter’s head psychiatrist, tapped the armrest. “He’s a loose cannon, all right, but so far I can’t see anything that could suggest a destructive behavior.”
The lawmakers would have screamed hell until their lungs burst, if the patients had been humans. But, animals didn’t really have a right to privacy, especially those living in a shelter. That had given Martin Foster the opportunity to install cameras in every possible corner. He wasn’t really proud of that loophole, but it served to enforce security, and best of all it helped Doctor Keaton to study his patients during their natural activities, rather than trying to break their shell in the closed environment of his study.
“So, you would say it is all a sort of play pretend?” Bill asked. The job was great, well paid and he could maintain three dogs now. But, aside from a couple of times when things got really rough, it also was the most monotonous job he had ever had! He was actually hoping this new dog would give him troubles soon. He needed to break something in two!
The psychiatrist shook his head. “Sorry, I have misspelled. I didn’t say he is destructive toward other pets.”
That rang a bell in Bill’s mind. “Could he harm himself?” In that case, Volant should be recovered in the clinic ward right now!
“Not exactly,” was the enigmatic answer….
Last edited by valerio on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Hmmmm...

I think I might know what "choice" Volant made.
But we'll just have to see. I've been wrong about a lot of stuff here before.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I just hope Bill's fear doesn't beocme true.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
valerio

Post by valerio »

Lucky Charm Grove for the Abandoned and the Ferals

Despite all commodities coming for free, from time to time each guests would save some snack, or the ‘handiwork school’ students would trade the products of their talent as part of a betting circuit.
Truth be told, that didn’t happen often. In fact, it was a custom strictly reserved to certain events.
Like when a guest needed to be put in place, in the old fashioned way.
The Direction knew that social tension, sometimes, had to be dealt with in such way; as a compromise, rather than having fights exploding randomly throughout the complex, a more controlled environment had been set up.
In the ring, under the supervision of a veterinarian unit and a security unit, the rivals could vent off and settle their problems once and for all. The basic rules were simple: no killing, no maiming, and once there was a winner the matter was settled and that was it…

…”And that’s why nobody tries to mess with Alvaro, pup,” said the Raven perching on the Rhodesian Ridgeback’s shoulder.
“Stop calling me ‘pup’,” Volant said, as he scanned the empty place. Soon it would be filled with a public eager for blood and hypocrite humans who professed safety and, he’d bet, couldn’t wait to see some action.
“Volant, are you sure you want to go through this?” Never asked. He looked and sounded sincerely concerned. “You say that you don’t care about social etiquette, and here you are, ready to fight for your honor. It makes no sense, you know?”
The big dog walked to a corner of the ring and sat down on the stool. “It makes sense to me, so shut up.” It came out with a flat voice, emotionless. Volant’s eyes too lacked any discernible emotion. He was far away with his mind, lost in his memories. “It’s the first time, you know.”
Nevermore cocked his head. “First time what?”
A bitter smile crossed Volant’s lips. “First time I am in control. This is my decision, Never. No one is ‘suggesting’ me to do this for someone’s sake or for some higher moral reason, or for some wicked plan. I am going to teach a lesson to Alvaro, to everyone here and it is my decision.” He bit his lower lip, as his face relaxed in a blissful expression. “It feels so good.”
In answer, Nevermore dug his talons very deep into the dog’s flesh, actually tearing a couple of drops of blood.
“OUCH!” Volant yelped. “What was that for?!”
Never pecked Volant's cheeck. He flew away before the dog’s paw connected with his body. “That was for your unbelievable egotism! Do you really think the world’s out to get you?! As if other people had nothing better to do than painting a target over the back of poor Volant and start kicking?! In case you hadn’t noticed, so far you did your best to alienate yourself from every possible relationship. You threw the gauntlet at Alvaro, and when you will be laying in a darned hospital bed, everyone else will be going their business without giving a solemn heck about you! And what for?! To feel morbidly proud of yourself?!”
At that moment, Never felt glad he was out of Volant’s reach. The dog’s expression had turned to something unbelievably fierce, as if he was unevolving into something born before the first wolves were domesticated. His very voice was a barely comprehensible growl.
“Then go, stupid bird! Stay away from me before I decide to crunch you as well! Everyone tried to put me down, but I’m still here and I will bury anyone standing in my way! Starting from today!”
And even if Never couldn’t be considered an old and experienced raven, he knew enough to see that Volant meant every word. He actually wondered if Lugh wasn’t an incarnation of Old Trickster, and that Volant was just a pawn in some chaotic game…
But, just to stay on the safe side, the bird flew to the ring’s opposite corner. “It’s your choice, fella, but hear me well. You won’t get rid of me that easily.”
“Save your energies for something more important, pup,” said Alvaro’s voice, from the entrance.
Volant turned, his eyes promising death. “You will stop calling me that!”
“Earn that right…pup,” Alvaro insisted with a smirk, while a crowd was flowing into the gym. Volant felt their distrust, their hostility…and he felt invigorated by it. This was something he could relate to: no hypocrisies, no false smiles, no awkward kindness. Elpis was wrong: that silly dog was so optimistic because he had nothing else to lose. Everyone else knew the truth, felt it at least.
And he was going to prove their fears. Volant walked after Alvaro. He was so tempted to attack him now, break his neck… But no, better to humiliate him in front of his fans. Then the hill would have a new king!
Volant stepped up on the ring, while the security details took position as well. He had to admit it, their beasts looked tough, not like those pampered watchdogs all barks and no bite. All the better: they too would see what this ‘feral’ could do!
When at last all the seats had been filled, Volant crackled his knuckles. No referee came to instruct him about the rules.
The two dogs started walking around each other, slowly, looking in each other’s eyes in search of the right moment to attack…
The silence was nearly absolute, except for some whispers.
“You can still retire, pup,” Alvaro said. “You know what we think of you already. It won’t get better if you win.”
“Oh, it will. It will.”
Alvaro studied him again…and frowned.
<Something is wrong,> said a voice in his head.
<I know.>
<No you don’t. This is not the same dog you have met this morning.>
Alvaro tensed. <What do you me--> But that single moment of distraction was enough for his opponent! The Rhodesian Ridgeback was on him, faster than he had estimated, roaring like a lion!
Alvaro knew what he was in for: he had fought already one of the so-called ‘lion dogs’, and he knew what they were capable for… But he hadn’t expected to find such ferocity in a guy who, according to the rumors, had come from one of the most pampered environment known!
Those considerations were but a sparkle of which he was barely aware. Alvaro needed to give this mad dog something else to think, and he instinctively used his oldest trick. The husky let the big dog crash into him. And as they both fell to the pavement, the former pet fighter put his paws into Volant’s mouth, so to grab the muzzle behind the sharp canine teeth.
A second later, Alvaro’s clawed thumbs dug into the other dog’s nose! Volant let out a loud yelp and his homicidal rage was distracted by the pain in a dog’s most sensible spot.
Alvaro knew he hadn’t a second to lose! He stood up and beat Volant’s snout again, and again, until he was sure he had him too stunned to react before—
It happened so fast that, for a moment, everyone thought that through some magic reality had been twisted, and that an image had just been replaced with another.
Volant’s fist had connected with Alvaro’s sternum. The Ridgeback was grinning like a wolf, the husky looked confused, as if he couldn’t really believe what had just happened.
Then the pain registered, and the black dog bent in two, his breath ragged.
“Whoops,” Volant said. “Does it hurt?”
Alvaro was on his kneed, holding his waist, his breath now hissing through clenched teeth.
The Ridgeback stood up. “Sorry, I can’t hear you. I’ll ask again. Does it hurt?!” And this time he gave his opponent a kick at the head! A gasp escaped the crowd, some of the spectators were sure that had broken Alvaro’s neck!
Volant advanced toward his opponent. Alvaro was still conscious, although barely. He was used to a rough fight, his scars proved it…but this was the first time he had met something like this dog. As the minutes passed, the bloodlust in him was getting stronger and stronger…
As if Volant was possessed.
No, definitely this wasn’t the same dog he had met this morning. Nothing in him had suggested this…savagery. Alvaro couldn’t have made such a gross mistake, not him—
Volant grabbed him by the collar and lifted him effortlessly. He was smiling, now, and there was something horrible in that expression, a promise of pain. “It was a pleasure. For me. Goodb—“ Volant collapsed. Just like that, as if someone had turned a switch in his brain.
Alvaro fell back on the pavement. Immediately, the veterinarian details were on the ring to assist the two canines. Alvaro was laid onto a stretch. He barely heard the murmur from the crowd. They were surprised, scared.
And he was too, though his mind was more focused on the familiar inner voice. <Not good, this time, eh?>
<You were lucky that the collars can inject a concentrated sedative, or you’d be dead.>
<What happened?>
<Two words: split personality. You just met his dark side.>
<Just my luck…> Then Alvaro passed out.

The medics working on Volant were not less worried than the ones taking care of the husky. The portable EKG was acting crazy.
“I thought he was sedated!” said one of them, a woman.
“Yeah, tell me about that.” Her male colleague was injecting another dose of sedative, though he wouldn’t dare to use one more drop than that –not if he wanted to kill him.
Volant, as per rules, had been restrained, but his chest was going up and down in an erratic pattern and his body was shaking, he was groaning as if he was about to wake up. “Man, this is the first serious psycho we ever had at the shelter. Keaton’s so gonna love him!”

Unnoticed in the general clamor, Nevermore looked at the scene, trying to make a sense of it.
He didn’t find one. Lugh, please tell me this is some weird trick of the gods. Because there is no way I am gonna get near that monster!
<You needed to see it,> the ghost raven said. <Now you know why it is worth it.>
Worth it? Old feather, that dog is at best a loose cannon, at worst a nuke!
Despite everything Lugh smiled, as he cocked his head. <You have seen his best side, what he could be if he abandoned that other, dark self. If you abandon him now, there will be no turning back, Never.>
Yay. I needed a guilt trip over this, you trickster. Why don’t you go to him? I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t mind your presence.
Lugh shook his head. <He doesn’t need the ghosts of an old life. And you know it.>
One day I am gonna find me an exorcist…

SEASON III
EPISODE 13
FIN
Last edited by valerio on Mon May 21, 2012 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

That Volant dog sure is a psycho and to think someone actually wants him back to Terrace High? Feh!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

small correction to make
valerio wrote:Volant pecked him on the cheek.
You meant Never pecked Volant's cheek, right?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

:oops: :oops: corrected. Thank you
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Now I'm scared of Volant.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Hello, patient readers.
Two things:

1) I realized I accumulated a lot of stuff to write about Volant, so I think it's better to close here the episode, waiting to reveal more for another episode
2) it will be another week, not less, before i can get back to writing at all. i am taking care of my eldest dog, which means giving him his pills between 5 and 6am every day -leaving me a bit zombified in the process. So you may relax: your neurons are safe for now.

Yours humbly.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well at least you can do things other than write in the meantime. because with how much you write, you can't have much time for other stuff. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Take your time and don't worry Valerio, we'll be here waiting for ya ;)
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I just hope your dog gets better soon, I can't imagine how you must feel about that.

The writing can wait, we all understand.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Aww, poor dog. I hope he gets better soon... :(

Well, Volant is quite the character, beating a King of Champions and all. He probably earned the respect he wanted... :|

Let us hope he gets better. Have an inner battle and win for the better.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I've got quite a bit to catch up on. I hope your dog feels better Val!
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
valerio

Post by valerio »

HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES
Season III
Episode 14 – A bit of revelation
By VALERIO

The color monitor showed a male Rhodesian Ridgeback laying on the bed of his room, his arms crossed behind his head, just staring at the ceiling. He looked calm enough, just another guest of the shelter lost in his own thoughts.
The reality was something very different.
“I thought you were going to talk to him, Doc,” Bill Lindberg, Director of the shelter, said. “What happened since then?”
‘Then’ was when Volant Male had given a serious bruising to the toughest of the dogs there, Alvaro. Alvaro was a former Pet Fighter, a King of Champions. Reeducating him and bringing him to a new, constructive road, had been a great success for the shelter and it had brought gold to the PR department –both in reputation and donations.
Of course, Alvaro wasn’t a sweet pup himself, certain traumas and mental scars wouldn’t go away. He still liked a good challenge, and he was gladly to teach any stubborn new dog the place in this microcosm. He was unofficially allowed to do so, provided he’d teach discipline without maiming. Once he’d completed his studies, he’d be deemed fit to get back into society, quite probably as a watchdog, but at least with a new purpose in life than fighting to death until someone stronger than him killed him.
Last week, he had almost met that destiny. In front of everyone hoping for a discipline show, Alvaro had been brutally defeated by the new dog.
Volant.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback had been brought here on charges of MDBS. Mad Dog Behavior Syndrome. Not the first dog who suffered it, especially one with a history of abandonment, ferality and mistreatment. When Adam Male had adopted Volant, or rather had taken him from his latest, abusive owners, he hadn’t taken care of seeing him to a behavioral therapist as well. As a result, Volant was still a ticking bomb that, eventually, exploded.
“It happened,” Veterinarian Psychiatrist Robin Keaton said, that he refused to talk. He hasn’t spoken a word since that day, and I can’t certainly force him to talk. Not to mention that, if forced, he could just lie. Sorry, chief, but I need him to start opening. Best we can do right now, for his sake and the other guests’, his to keep him grounded.”
‘Grounded’ with his email, regular meals and his entertainment –a world more than many other unfortunate animals had had in other kind of shelters. Bill shivered at the thought of the previous ‘concentration camp’, before Foster demolished it and built the LCG over its ruins.
Volant hadn’t done more than eating, ignoring everything else in the room. Bill had seen it before: that creature was prisoner of himself. There was no way of telling when he’d relax enough to talk. Because if there was one thing about Bill Lindberg, he was a man of rules, and Volant Male would not leave his room until he’d try to make the first step himself!
---
Volant didn’t see the camera, they were good at hiding them, but he could feel it’s cold eye piercing at his soul.
He didn’t care. He had made his point, no one would ever mess with him again. He didn’t need to be housebroken, he didn’t need to study, he didn’t need to be a ‘good doggie’.
He needed to be left alone. Love wasn’t wasted on him, because no one loved him really! They were just a bunch of convenient liars, each one of them!
Except…Elpis?
He had told everything to Elpis. He had lowered his guard and opened his heart. Elpis was the only one, beside Lugh, who knew his secrets.
Why? What was there to that Midget that could win his trust?
“Nothing. It’s just that tiny, helpless voice that his calling out for Daddy.”
Volant turned on his side. He saw the dog, saw himself, leaning on the door. His other self would look thin, though still muscular, with a dirty fur, dripping for the recent rain, smelling like garbage.
A dog with both blue eyes. A strong dog, who hadn’t caved in to trusting humans for the last time. “Trust me. He can’t exploit your weaknesses anymore. You’re safe.”
“I don’t want to be safe,” Volant said to himself. His blood-red eye fixed on those sarcasm-filled blue orbs. “'Safe' is for puppies. I want to be free.”
His other self chuckled. “You wish. Far as hi-tech is concerned, you know that there is no escape from this place.”
“…”
“Don’t blame me. I’m just a figment of your own personality. I’m not telling anything that you don’t know already.”
Volant turned and gave his back to himself. “I will be free. Whatever it takes.”
The apparition nodded with a grim expression…
---
…the same expression that shadowed a particular female Red-Tailed Hawk as she perched on a building of the shelter.
She scanned the area, not daring to move a feather. She knew she had been spotted by now, and if she didn’t play her cards well, this might be her very last visit to this place—
A flapping behind her announced her wait was over. She managed to appear calm and not turn when she heard that chilling voice. “Why, welcome back, Bora. I didn’t think you had the guts to show yourself around again.”
This time, the hawk turned and faced the much larger Harpy Eagle. Tisiphone, a fitting name for the queen of the raptors. Harpy eagles were known for their audacity, humans feared them. Bora would have felt a hearty respect for Tisiphone, hadn’t the eagle almost killed her last time they met.
Which brought to the reason Bora was here, now. Last time, she had tried to appease her friend, the macaw Piper, by killing the raven Nevermore. The idea was to drive Volant, who was starting befriending the bird, completely mad –this way, he would’ve never left the shelter. A fitting punishment for hurting Piper!
But then Tisiphone, member of the shelter’s animal patrol, had turned the table and almost offed Bora. Piper could claim he didn’t know about the eagle, but the hawk had no intention of forgiving him for almost sending her to her death. Maiming him wouldn’t be the best idea, especially since she risked being caught by Terrace High’s security…
“So, cat got your tongue? Or was it someone else?” Tisiphone asked, tilting her head forward. Her talon tapped against the reinforced concrete.
“I don’t want to cause trouble, I learnt my lesson. I just want some information.”
The eagle’s crest went up and down with annoyance. “Speak up and be glad I already ate.”
“What can you tell me about a military macaw named Piper?” When Bora had mentioned Tisiphone’s name and species, Piper had almost molted naked. Perhaps she could learn something to keep him dancing on her talons, after all. Even if Piper wasn’t nearly as lethal as her, Bora knew he was smart enough to compensate. Better to have some leverage..!
And, judging by the sudden flash in Tisiphone’s eyes, she had just hit the right spot! “El Elegante! ¿Cómo se te ocurre lo conoces?”
Bora stepped back, expecting an outburst of rage, not that…unsettling hatchling joy. “Ah, you said what?”
“Sorry. I said, how do you happen to know him?”
“…He’s a friend of mine?”
Tisiphone cawed a laugh. “Hah! Elegante doesn’t know the meaning of the word! ‘Use them and leave them’, that’s his motto.”
Bora felt her talons holding stronger the concrete. Had she had any teeth, she would’ve grinded them. “Really?”
Tisiphone fluffed up a bit with amusement. “Sì. As the General’s favorite pet, he’d get to treat even us as he wanted. Those who tried to get back at him wouldn’t live long enough to boost about it.”
“The… ‘General’?”
The eagle cocked her head. For some reason, again Bora thought of an overgrown hatchling. “You really don’t know anything about Elegante, do you?”
“Do you think I’d risk my feathered hide to ask you, otherwise?”
Tisiphone crouched, her eyes scanning for the area. “Hmph, fair enough. I’ll tell you what I know if you tell me if he sent you here, last time.”
Bora nodded, and took care to explain the events that nearly led her to her premature demise. When she was done, the eagle said, “Piper is not exactly a hatchling: he’s 35 years old. I was one of the eagles bred to serve the General, Ronaldo Carrera, a FARCs high officer.” She said the name as if expecting the hawk to stare in awe. When that didn’t happen, she sighed. “Bunch of Colombian guerrillas. This particular branch was deep into drugs business to pay for their war games, and we were their aerial recognition forces. When needed, we’d strike their enemies’ settlements, distract their patrols and the such.”
“And, Piper..?”
“Elegante was our trainer. He had learnt all the stuff and taught us how to plan an attack, trained us to use our brains together with our talons. That’s how he earned his nickname: he’s colorful and smart.”
Bora couldn’t imagine that goofball as a trainer of war birds, but then she really didn’t know him. Thirty-five years old! That was longer than every pet and feral she had known could live. He surely had time to learn a lot of stuff… “Say, how long could he live?”
Again that merry caw. “Dear, even if you were just born, he’ll live long enough to bury your old corpse. In the most favorable conditions, a Macaw pet can live up to eighty years. That’s why he was always cool about everything: he could outwait us until the moment of retribution came. And we would never know when that would happen.”
80..?! Bora understood perfectly what Tisiphone meant. She couldn’t imagine herself planning on such a time span! Piper was the kind of guy you killed with one strike or else…
“I know that gaze, Bora,” the eagle said, shaking her head. “Forget it. Last one to try and kill him was found a couple of days later in the jungle, with a nice Colombian necktie, courtesy of the General.”
Bora narrowed her eyes. “But this time there is no General to defend him.”
“Really? Last I heard, the two were still hand-in-glove. But perhaps things have changed after the raid.”
“The raid?”
“Someone tipped the Colombian government, and the army seized our nest. I was one of those several raptors who couldn’t be trusted to be released into the wild, so we were sent to this country. They hoped we could keep our job…with a different master.”
“And you accepted?” Bora fought hard to keep the scorn out of her voice. She couldn’t imagine herself serving a landwalker! That such a noble and powerful creature could degrade herself so made her queasy!
If Tisiphone perceived such feelings, she shrugged them off. “Foster found out about me via a network called PETAID, and insisted to get me for his security.
I don’t know any other way of living. Not to mention that I get to hunt and I am well fed, I don’t have to worry about the dangers of the wild life. I know you may not like it, Bora, but right now let me tell you: get away from that parrot. I don’t know if he’s still working for the General, but you don’t want to find out. That’s the best piece of advice I can give you.” She stood up and spread her wings. “Now scram, so that it seems I have chased you off instead of wasting my time in chitchat.”
“Be glad to. Just one last thing: when I mentioned his name, you seemed happy.”
Tisiphone showed a bitter smile. “Let’s just say that he had a certain…charm with the ladies. Goodbye.” And she took off.
Bora left a moment later, thinking about what she could do with this information, knowing she had a great advantage over that jerk now!
Last edited by valerio on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

After three weeks of medical care my dog is better and I'm back! Yay!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Welcome Back Val glad your dog is better now! :D *hugs*
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Glad to hear that your dog is better. I wish I could say the same for Volant...
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

Happy for your dog! "Imagine how many of your cats feel about this."
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm glad your dog is okay.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jackson House, Lev. 20, Apt. 202, The Fulcrum, Terrace High

The Charming Blog had proved a precious resource for the potential adoptive families. Visiting the place a few times, starting with the law-required minimum of two, could not possibly help anyone to find out the right addition to the family with reasonable certainty. It had happened before, that what seemed to be the right choice proved itself quite the contrary, and in this case the animal was the one who really suffered the consequences of superficiality.
Martin Foster had encouraged his guests to keep a blogosphere open so that they could chat, exchange opinions, open themselves to the world and let themselves known. So far, nobody had been brought back, like some discarded good.
Reading the latest post from her friend at the Charm, Tegan was fairly sure that Volant was destined to stay ‘unsold’ for the rest of his life.
The Maine Coon knew she was supposed to report these news to Elpis, but she didn’t dare to break his heart. Volant was proving himself more dangerous by the day, it was a miracle he hadn’t killed anyone…yet.
But as President and founder of the Love for Life Social Club, she had a duty to keep her promise, or at least try to. If she was outvoted, next time someone brought up the subject of Volant, she’d submit to the results. The club was already split in two over the decision of supporting Volant, now the odds tilted badly against her side. Tegan was sure Piper was reading the blog as well, and soon there would be a new meeting.
*sigh* she didn’t like that sneaky parrot, but she did like even less having a loose cannon like that dog around. She wasn’t sure herself what she’d vote, next time… “Elliot?”
Dressed with an apron and a chief’s hat, the figure of the golden retriever peeked from the kitchen’s threshold. “You called? I was making cake. Lemon cake.”
Her favorite. Despite her demanding stomach, she motioned him to come to her. “I need huggies. Now.”
“But the dough—“
“Dough laterz. Kitty nau.” She pointed her finger at the cushion.
Elliot sat down next to her and hugged her. “Bad news?”
“Volant almost killed one of the guests. And before that he did his best to act like a moron. Aside from that, everything’s fine with him. Oh, and I think I just buried my presidency.”
The dog held her tighter to him. “Don’t think you did something stupid. You followed your heart, just like Elpis is following his.”
The cat sighed. “I’m beginning to think he misses a brain lobe, other than his eyes.” She made a face. “I can’t believe I just said that!”
“I’ve heard you saying worse. Remember when we were prisoners of the Fanged Teeth? I still think you watched one too many NatGeo Wild documentaries.”
She playfully stuck out her tongue at him. “You’re just envious of our natural flexibility.”
Elliot started blushing. “You’re terrible! I wonder how could I fall for you, lady.”
In answer, she leaned her muzzle close to his floppy ear. “Because…” and whatever she whispered to him was enough to make him forget of his cake mix altogether…
---
Rozen House, Lev. 160, Apt. 16

“Yes.”
<No.>
“Yes.”
<No.>
“Yes!”
<No!>

All during that exchange, the rabbit’s and the rat’s heads kept going left and right as if watching a tennis match.
A third spectator would’ve find quite weird such attention for a female Maine Coon/Norwegian mix busy in a shouting match with herself.
But of course, Shadow and Chocolate weren’t exactly like any other pets.
They could see the ghostly feline figure trying to win the argument with her mortal friend.
“NO!” Lizzie Rozen shouted.
<YES!> Morrigan shouted with her soul…before realizing her mistake.
The living cat threw her arms in the air and jumped much like Rocky Balboa in the Library scene. “Woot! I winz! Now you must obey!”
Morrigan facepawlmed and stretched her face like rubber. <Lizzie, please! This is not a game! That place is still infested with many ghosts! I’m sure there must be a safer way to visit Volant!>
Elizabeth pointed her finger at their guests. “Chocky said it will be safe if a ghost will accompany us! And I don’t want to meet Vollie in-in some stupid cage or something! I want to see how he’s doing! I voted in his favor so—“
<Okay, okay, okay! Just stop it! I know the drill!> Morrigan hung her head for a moment, then gave a hard glowing stare to Chocolate. <You had to tell her, had you?>
“In her defense,” Shadow said, raising his paws defensively, “I can testify that Lizzie can be pretty…stubborn. And that her lungs have a capacity that no living creature could have. She was driving Chocolate nuts, and believe me, Morrigan, you don’t want an angry wizard under the same roof.”
<Yes, I can imagine. Okay, Lizzie, I will guide you to the shelter via astral plane, but please try not to invite a ghost to play with you. Promise?>
The young cat shuffled her feet as she looked at the pavement, flicking her ears. “Not even a cute kitten?”
<Lizzie…>
Elizabeth scoffed. “Fine! Fine, you win you stupid ghost! Can we get started now?”
Chocolate lifted a paw, as glowing blue energies started concentrating around her body.
Astral jump wasn’t hard per se. But for a good performance, both destination and starting point were supposed to be free of…interference, unless you belonged to one of the highest order of creatures.
And a thousand or so of souls made for a pretty good interference. Even though they had given Martin Foster their favor in return of the destruction of their place of torment, it was never wise to cross the astral plane with such a numerous presence in situ. Luckily, Morrigan knew the territory, better than even Chocolate could, due to her nature. Still…
The rift opened. Morrigan offered her ethereal paw to her friend. Lizzie took it, and used her left paw to pinch her nose as if about to dive, then walked in, eyes closed. When the rift closed, Shadow said, “I wish I was like her. It must feel great, to be so genuinely carefree in front of your potential demise.”
“I wish I was like Morrigan,” Chocolate said, after a moment of pondering.
The black rabbit raised an eyebrow. “You wish you were like a ghost?”
“Meditating and elaborating spells is so much easier when you have no physical body to distract you with potty problems.”
Shadow’s ears fell flat. “You know what? I hope you’re joking: at least, it would prove there is a hope that you’re normal.”
---
“You can open your eyes, if you want. And stop holding your breath, you can breathe.”
Lizzie did so, though hesitantly at first. She really didn’t know what to expect –was aether breathable? They said there was a light at the end of tunnel, would that light blind her?
“Ohh…”
She recognized the Lucky Charm Grove by the pictures. She saw many animals of all ages, mainly cats and dogs, walking around, smiling, chatting, romping. And near to them, there was this… Well, the first words that came to Lizzie’s mind was ‘constellation’. A constellation of shining blue lights hanging like fireflies by the guests.
The young cat drew in a breath, feeling herself moved by that spectacle. “It’s so beautiful,” she whispered, as if scared to draw any attention to her, to scare the pretty lights away. “Are those lights the ghosts?” but before she could get an answer, she noticed that that same blue light was shining around her free paw, and arm, and body! “Wee, I got the ghostglow! Look, Morri…gan?” when she turned her head to address her friend, she saw another thing.
Morrigan looked, well…alive! Lizzie could no longer see through her, and the paw holding hers felt solid, warm. Now Lizzie could see that Morrigan had russet fur and the eyes of a piercing grey, mysterious and exotic, her tail a long appendage of smooth shining fur.
“Wow,” was all Lizzie could say.
“I got that a lot when I was alive,” Morrigan said.
“Wow, I can hear you. I mean, with my ears. Not in my thoughts. And your voice sounds so musical.” A friend of Elizabeth, back in Babylon, would send her a tape of the Christmas Yarn Ball every year. Lizzie would play it just to watch the song performance of Sabrina. Now she was sure that in a singing match Morrigan would outclass Sabrina anytime!
“Thank you. But look well, now,” she pointed with her nose at the scenery all around them, as they walked along the avenue. “The lights are the living, just like you. That’s how we see them, not as physical bodies but as precious energy we feel attracted to. Their presence comfort us, and some of us, in return, may desire to protect that light, basking in it. Be its guardians.”
There was a kitten quality in the wonder of Elizabeth, a genuine enthusiasm that never failed to make Morrigan feel good. “Ohh, you mean like in ‘guardian angels’?”
“More or less. We’re not exactly angels, but yes, some of us wish to help you out… Lizzie, is there something wrong?”
The Norwegian mix was looking around, her lips twisting as if undecided if smiling or pouting, her eyes glistening with moisture. “Does this mean that all these animals…they are the dead?”
Morrigan squeezed her shoulder, as she nodded. “Yes.”
“But—but there are so many kittens. And puppies…”
Again that sad nod. “When they were alive, they spent their last days in the old shelter, and they died there. It was…very, very bad. Sadness, pain, loss…their demise created their ghosts, who never found peace, until Martin Foster came and destroyed that horrid place.”
Lizzie gulped down her tears. “And that…freed them?”
“Yes. They found peace, they were avenged, for this new shelter knows no such horrors. But some of them felt they wanted to help out the living, just as in life they were not helped at all. And so, now they relieve themselves in the company of the living, and in return they relieve the living from their sadness and fears when they first come here.”
“Oh. So, they’re happy souls then?” Lizzie’s tail swished. “Why can’t I talk to them then?”
Morrigan’s expression changed to one of sternness, like the living cat had never seen. “Because they still crave the light of the living. It’s like having a very, very gluttony friend at home: if you don’t lock your pantry, that friend will empty it. There is a delicate equilibrium going here, and someone is already watching over the shelter, making sure the equilibrium is respected.
“The ghosts have promised to behave, and after all, as I said, they want these living to be happy… But one like you, here on this plane, is like bait for the crocodiles. I am sorry for using such terms, but there is ‘befriending’ in the otherworld, there is…feedeing. That is why now you must go back to the plane you belong to.”
Lizzie saw that Morrigan was becoming…restless? Nervous? She was clearly trying to keep herself under control. “Morrigan are you okay?”
In answer, suddenly, as if something inside her friend just exploded, the russet cat metamorphosed into a ghoulish apparition! Her features elongated and distorted, her mouth opened into a maw with dagger-long fangs, her eyes black as tar pits and filled with a monstrous hunger!
Morrigan then pushed Elizabeth away from her…and the living cat found herself falling into reality and against the pavement. “*whoof* I guess you’re not okay, then. See you later?”
<Count on it,> came the now familiar mindvoice. <Sorry for that. But you looked so…tasty.>
Lizzie mindpatted her friend, while standing up and brushing her fur. “Aw, don’t be. You never saw mom when she starts craving for her pickles and discovers they’re finished… Oh, hey there,” she said to a pup who was standing there, immobile, staring. The ice cream in his paw still stuck in his mouth as he had clearly stopped in the middle of a bite.
“Are you a ghost?” Lizzie asked.
The pup shook his head no, slowly.
“Good! Do you know where I can find Vollie? I mean, Volant. Volant Male. Big dog, sourpuss, weird red eye?”
The pup, still not daring to eat, pointed at the Dormitory.
Lizzie started walking in that direction.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

ah the classic deer in the headlights reaction to the supernatural.
You always do so well with all the ghost stuff. It's one of your strong suits. the other strong suit being everything else about writing. :lol:
glad you're back and that your dog is better. I look forward to the next update.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:ah the classic deer in the headlights reaction to the supernatural.
You always do so well with all the ghost stuff. It's one of your strong suits. the other strong suit being everything else about writing. :lol:
glad you're back and that your dog is better. I look forward to the next update.
I would freeze and tremble int he face of a supernatural being, even if the supernatural stuff weren't evil.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Good to hear your dog's ok!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yay! Doggie is fine! *does the happy dance*

Nice, going supernatural. Let us hope Lizzie can help Volant feel better.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Rozen had few memories of her kittenhood. She remembered her mama, her sister and brother, but she remembered nothing about the shelter, save for the scent of wood, and the incessant chanting of a guest mama called Pavarotti.
She and Max were taken at the same time. Lizzie was happy to have a brother, whoever it could be. She had hoped it was a deer, but one couldn’t have anything. Right?
Mom had told her, once, they had been named after her grandparents, who had passed in a place called Dachau. Since Mom looked so sad every time she spoke about them, Lizzie had never asked again about them.
So Lizzie had Googled ‘Dachau’…and after learning the truth she had sworn she’d never, ever kill a living thing or live off meat. No, no, nossir no!
Despite her first upbringing in a decent shelter, Lizzie had always had nightmares about ending up again in one, fearing that she would never get out of there. Despite knowing not all of those places were bad, that nagging fear would linger inside her heart…
Until today.
Leaning against the terrace of the Dormitory, the tallest building in the shelter, Lizzie marveled at the idyllic place. In the distance, she could hear the sounds of the farm, as the breeze brought its smells…
“It has this effect,” said someone behind her. Lizzie turned and met the smiling green eyes of a boxer mix. He had a nice grey striped fur that became black at the paws. “Hi, my name’s Elias but you may call me Tommy. New cat? That’d be funny, I didn’t see cars coming recently, and I am sure I know everyone in the Dormitory. I will be in Security, one day, so I am exercising my memory. Would you like a guided tour?” he asked, wagging.
“Oh, no, thank you! My name is Lizzie. I am looking for a friend of mine, his name is—why are you doing that?” she asked to someone behind Elias. The dog turned his head but didn’t see anyone. And of course, he didn’t see the cat ghost trying desperately to mimic Lizzie to shut up!
To a puzzled Elias, the cat said, “His name is Volant.” Morrigan facepawlmed, ripped her face off her skull and screamed in frustration, unheard.
Elias reacted as if Lizzie had metamorphosed into some weird alien thing. “Volant? A friend?”
“Yes,” she nodded. “Of course I am, silly. I wouldn’t come to visit, otherwise, right?”
“Uhh…” LizzieLizzieLizzie… Elias was positive that weird dog didn’t have a single friend in the shelter. “You are not a guest, aren’t you?”
This time it was Elizabeth who regarded him with a puzzled look. “I am a guest. I don’t live here!”
Elias decided he didn’t need a headache. “The next floor. I’ll lead you there, follow me.”
<I was bringing you there!> Morrigan protested while Lizzie followed the dog.
“I know. I got distracted by the scenery. Sue me!” she stuck out her tongue at the thin air.
“Is there a… Nevermind.” Elias shook his head and walked up the stairs.
<Nevermind. I’ll buy you some time. You just do what we came for, then off you go.>

They stopped at a door identical to the others. “Here you go. Again, where are you from?”
“Terrace High, of course… Ohh, now you’re doing the happy lover’s face.”
Hearing that name, Elias had immediately put up a dreamy expression, clasping his paws. One could see hearts in place of his pupils. “Athena. MmmMM, I’d so love to be her partner in their security.”
Lizzie beamed. “I’ll tell her. Perhaps they’ll take you, you look nice enough. Thank you for guiding me.” She put her paw over the handle.
“Ah, Lizzie, the door’s locked because—“ then he went BSOD as the door opened with a click. A moment later, she *glomped* into the room. “YAY! Vollie!”
Elias dared to peek in the room, already expecting to see a carnage getting started… Instead, he saw a very happy cat hanging to a very puzzled Rhodesian ridgeback and nuzzling his chin, purring loudly.
“Did you send for her?” Volant asked. Despite him being almost twice her size and not exactly the most amiable of the domestic creatures, he surely looked lost enough.
Elias raised his paws defensively. “Don’t look at me, man! I swear, I am as much surprised as you are!” And where is security when you need it, frick on a stick with a brick?!

“I so hate Murphy, right now!” Bill Lindberg, the LCG’s Director, growled, and added a solid curse for good measure.
He and two details were trapped in the elevator, which had decided to get stuck between third and fourth floor, refusing to cooperate to any technical attempt to restart it.
Team two, which was supposed to run all the way up the stairs in cases like this, had found the fire doors closed and as much un-cooperating as the elevator…
Even worse, every time the man tried to ask updates of the progress, his heart would sink a little more at hearing alarms were sounding randomly here and there in the shelter, forcing security to run to and fro like so many ants gone crazy.
---
…and all because a certain ghost was busy playing Mike Oldfield’s False Start over the security’s commands –though, to her merit, she made sure the main systems kept working.
---
“Are you all right?” Lizzie asked, after disentangling from him.
Both animals went to sit on the dog’s bed. Volant was about to answer something very rude about not being all right at all, then he just nodded –though he couldn’t help adding, “Hey, if I knew shelters were like this, nowadays, I’d have come here sooner.”
She punched him on his bicep. “Not funny! We’re worried sick over you. Especially Elpis.”
Volant snorted a laugh. “Then tell the little guy to relax: he should have better things to do with his free time.”
The Norwegian mix looked crestfallen now. “…Don’t you really want to come back to us?”
“Let’s put it this way.” Volant stretched, yawning. “Here I get to be fed and taken care for. Without having to deal with those pesky social things. Are you done? Because I’d really love to take a nap now.” He then laid himself down and gave Lizzie his back.
Volant’s other self, which was standing and facing the big dog, gave him the thumb-up.
Lizzie stood up. “All right. But next time I’ll bring you Elliot’s cookies. I know you like them.”
Other Volant stuck his tongue at her –no way, babe, he belonged to him now! Volant’s new life here had just started!
“And that was rude, you know?” Lizzie said, scowling at the supposedly invisible figure!
The manifestation froze in mid-gesture and almost bit his tongue in two with surprise. Paws clasped over the muzzle, he wondered how was that poss—
<Lizzie is gifted with the sight,> Morrigan said, appearing between him and the living cat. <She can see through the veil, and through illusions, just as I can…> in front of her eyes, the manifestation had another shape –one of a blue-feathered gryphon. <…Pete.>
Down went the illusion. At a snap of his talons…

…The guards stopped in mid-motion…
…and so did the guests…
…the birds in the sky, the clouds themselves…
…and every drop of water or rustling leaf.

“Much better,” Pete said.“Now, where were we? Ah, the shocking revelation!” He put a hand to his sculpted chest. “Dear, I’m so honored that you know me! Shall I sign an autograph or a leasing over your soul? Nevermind the Devil, I can strike better bargains.” He winked at her…and found himself *glomp*ed at a moment later. “Ack!”
“Hmm, fluffy!” Lizzie said. “And cute too! Wanna be my birdie? Can you lay eggs? Do you eat crackers?”
The gryphon was…puzzled, to say the least. “Eerrr..”
<Her innocence is what drew me to protect her,> Morrigan said. <Lizzie, dear, birdie and I have to talk.>
“Aw,” the cat said, but let go of the mythical creature and went to sit near Volant.
<I couldn’t not know about you, Pete, you know it. What you and Spirit Dragon are doing is causing ripples in the otherworld. Your presence in this plane is very…disturbing.>
The gryphon waved off that concept. “Oh, please! As if one of our kind should worry about your concerns! Do you really want me to go through that boring stereotype of the human and the ants?"
<I am been dead long enough to know better than that.>
“Thank you. If only a certain dog had been as much wise...
<But I am curious: you focused your interest on certain animals of Babylon Gardens, so far. And you went as far as transmuting a human into a dog –but always making sure you acted in this area. So…>
“Why Volant, a dog from the city? Well, dear, because I am engaged in this…game with Spirit Dragon. And Volant is what you’d call my Plan C.”
<What?>
“What?” Lizzie echoed.
Pete pointed his talon at the dog. “Ask him. Isn’t it true, my dear Paladin?”
Lizzie and Morrigan turned to stare at Volant.
The dog returned their gaze with hard eyes, an expression suddenly much harder than he had shown so far. Even his voice had assumed a cruel tone as he answered, “It is so. If I am alive, I owe it to him. He has my loyalty, complete and unbreakable.”
Last edited by valerio on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

So Pete has a new avatar, yay! Now he has a chance in this game... :twisted:
My characters
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

so Volant is the new dark paladin... interesting. and scary, Volant is a beast ._.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

what a tweest.
I like Lizzie's reaction to Pete. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

With cats being strict meat-eaters, Lizzie must've been lucky to not run any risk of being vegetarian; it's a fandom of course.

Another nod to canon. I was pretty sure Terrace High, or one part of it, may be involved in the game.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

For a second I thought Pete was going to be tamed by Lizzie.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Stellarium, The Fulcrum, Terrace High

“Ahh, beautiful vision,” Piper said, as he perched on the handrail.
The hawk looked really gorgeous, her figure against the afternoon sun, the light creating a fiery aura around her. He knew he’d find her here, eventually, They had elected the building’s observatory as their meeting point.
“You look like the phoenix bathed in flames,” the macaw said. “I wish you could lay my eggs. The best of our worlds.”
Bora cocked her head. “You know how to compliment a girl, Piper.”
The green-feathered bird dared to hop toward her, though making sure he was ready to fly away at the slightest sign of…nervousness from her side. “Does this mean that I am forgiven, my dear?”
She ruffled up her feathers and shook. “Mmm, yes. Mind you, I am still upset, but now I know it wasn’t your fault.”
Piper got closer to her. “Good. Shall we hop over a more discreet corner? Bird-watchers just don’t know the meaning of privacy.” He winked at her. “I brought a little peace offering.”
Her eyes glistened with greed. “Meat?”
“One of my housemate’s mice. Just killed.”
“Hm, you do know how to treat a girl.”
Piper opened his wings. “Don’t I know it, dear. Don’t I know it…”
Locke’s County. Five years ago.

It was raining.
That was the thing he’d remember. The rain. The cold. The drops falling around him, inside the precarious shelter offered by the big tree.
The rain had quenched his thirst, after spending two days without water. The hunger was almost forgotten, just a dull background pain in his stomach.
The pup felt weak, he was so tired, but he was also so afraid to close his eyes and sleep. The world around him had assumed the unreal contours of a nightmare.
Two days and two nights without sleeping.
Waiting.
His collar had cut around his neck after trying to remove it again. His throat was sore after barking for help for almost two days. His voice was barely a throaty whimper.
“Mom… Dad…” he tried again, but it hurt so much to speak even those simple words.
Why weren’t they coming for him? Surely they must know he was here, all alone in the woods, tied to a tree.
Who had kidnapped him? All he remembered was falling asleep, at home, after his parents had bid him goodnight, then…then he had woken up here.
Can you imagine the fear, the raw terror of finding yourself stuck in an unfamiliar environment, all alone, far from everything you love? For a pup, it was that fear multiplied tenfold. He was sure he’d little heart would burst and die.
Then the hours had passed. No one had come. He had got tired.
Desperate.
Weak.
And yet the pup sat there against the tree, awake, that part of him still clinging to the certainty that if he closed his eyes he would miss his parents searching for him.
He clung to the certainty he’d soon be home, and then he’d eat until he got sick, and perhaps Mom and Dad would let him sleep with them. He’d play with uncle’s pets and let them prank him all…day…long…
When he opened his eyes, it was night. The rain had stopped, not the cold. He was shivering.
And he was still there. This wasn’t a bad dream, after all. They’d find him tied here to this tree, a little, sad bag of bones.
Would they miss him? Or there was another pet occupying his bed already?
Something started burning in the back of the pup’s mind. Those thoughts that had started as fears were growing into something an innocent creature of that age wasn’t supposed to know.
And yet, he was growing fast. Betrayal, death, rage…his survival instincts were leading him into a world where what he had taken for granted was now useless. He was just trying to adapt. And he was scared by those sudden changes he couldn’t understand as a rational being.
But as a feral, he could…
“That’s the spirit,” said a voice. Just at his right! The pup snapped his head up so fast, it hurt his neck –but he didn’t care about the pain, he didn’t care about anything. He was no longer alone, and he felt so happyhappyhappy! His hunger pangs were gone, the weakness was gone, the sadness was gone. The pup started barking crazy with joy, unaware of the fact that he was addressing a creature which, according to all common sense, wasn’t supposed to exist.
But he was a 1 year old pup, there were so many things he didn’t know, and to him a gryphon was just another funny-looking animal, not a threat nor a source of wonder.
The creature squatted down to caress the pup’s head. His talons opened the collar and the creature tumbled against the leonine leg.
For the best half an hour, the pup simply cried, his snout buried against the brown fur, while a feathered arm protected him from the cold and the creature crooned to soothe his aching soul. He was safe! He was safe! He’d be home and everything would be alright…
But there was that other voice, now.
That other voice that spoke to him with the scorn of the adult he’d grow into, one day.
The voice that kept telling him, You know the truth. Stop hurting yourself. You know the truth.
I want my owners. I want Mom, I want Dad.

They left you! They waited until you felt asleep and then they tied you to this tree to die. Alone!
Not true. Bad doggie!
They never loved you!
They do!
If so, tell me…why there is only their smell on your leash and on your body?

At that point, the pup had fainted…and he was alone again. There had never been even a hair or a footprint of the gryphon.
But there were the others.
The animals, the creatures of the forest.
They stood in a circle around him, looking, exchanging glances, nodding.
They had been guided here from the spirit of the temple. He had told them to take care of the pup, keep him away from the traitorous humans.
And so they had taken him…
Lucky Charm Grove for the Abandoned and the Ferals

“…I was fed, nursed back to health, and grew up among his followers.” Volant Male’s eyes went to the majestic figure standing before the group composed of him, Morrigan and Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Rozen.
“But the others never trusted me. They didn’t want a dog from the city among them, they feared I could betray them to the humans, and in the end I left, followed only by Lugh. I went back to the city, where I lived as a stray, where…” This time he lowered his eyes. “Where I lost my faith in the spirit. After months surviving in the street, my life in the forest had faded to a remote dream. Lugh was dead, I was alone once again…and vulnerable.
“Once again, I trusted humans to take care of me. That puppy inside me wanted company, no matter from whom, and he accepted to be taken under the same roof of those…” Volant gnashed his teeth, in a ferocious grin. “Oh, but he learnt the lesson. Now he doesn’t bark anymore. I am in control. Once again, my master saved me.” And this time, Volant bent down on a knee in front of the gryphon. “Thank you.”
An angelic chorus filled the air as an aura bathed the mythical creature in light, while Pete held out an arm to Volant’s shoulder as if blessing him—
<Oh, please!> Morrigan sent out, and the scene broke with a sound of scratched record.
“What?” the gryphon asked. “I’d call you sore loser, young spirit, but you’re not involved in my game.”
Volant growled warningly.
Morrigan narrowed her eyes. <I don’t understand: I never even perceived your presence in his thoughts. How is that possible?> And as for that matter, not even Chocolate had, or she would’ve warned Morrigan.
Pete chuckled. “It is possible, since the Volant you and your mortal friends met is not the same Volant who now stands in front of you.”
Lizzie scratched her head. Her mouth formulated an unexpected burst of deduction. “Are there two Volants, then?”
Pete nodded. “A split soul. Even deeper than a simply split mind. The day Volant nearly died because of the betrayal of his owners was the day his better side started developing. My followers helped him…cultivate that peculiar aspect, so that his discontent would grow strong enough to fit my necessities.”
<Then why King? You spent a lot of time with him, despite having such a devoted follower for yourself.>
“Let’s just say that King was…added bonus. Admittedly, I was scratching the barrel’s bottom with him, but I knew I could lose him: after all, though much of King’s discontent was born out of his juvenile traumatic experiences as well, he was grown enough to elaborate them. He could…become a better individual, given the proper opportunities. And Fox first, then Bailey, brought him onto a road of redemption.
“Volant, on the other hand, was bound to me. The only risk was that my adversary could discover about his existence, that is why I had to tell my followers to exile Volant, so that he’d go back to the city and out of the attention of Dragon’s followers.”

Morrigan looked at the Rhodesian ridgeback. <You caused him to suffer again just so you could use King as a decoy?!>
Lizzie pouted. She walked to Pete…and kicked him hard on one knee. “Bad birdie! You hurt Vollie! Meanie!”
Pete started with pain. While massaging his knee, he muttered, Always forget to switch on the invulnerability when I am like this… Anyway, dear, I didn’t do anything to him, except sending him to the city. He was tested, it was life that got hard on him, but I always made sure he’d have a second chance at survival. It was only bad luck that crossed his path with those two human morons’…although, admittedly, it made him even stronger.”
<What do you mean?> What was worse, Morrigan was starting to finding a sense in the gryphon’s words. Twisted, amoral as he was, Pete wasn’t speaking lies. Yet.
“Easy. You spiritfolks know I had put my eyes on mortals like Peanut because their imagination holds an immense power. Too bad some of you decided to try to use that power to their own advantage, thus forcing mine and dragon’s hand into an unlikely alliance.
“Those like Volant or King, the Dark Paladins, are empowered by their own ill feelings. And Volant’s negative experiences made him a stronger follower, not to mention they strengthened the bond with me. Am I right, Volant?”

The big, muscular dog nodded. “It is so, master. Through Lugh you were always at my side, and I felt your presence every time despair crept into my thoughts. I am sorry, though, that once again I allowed myself to become weak with that Elpis.”
Hearing how much scorn he put in that name, feeling it, Morrigan knew that any hope to appeal to the pup inside Volant was useless now. The Dark Paladin’s power was growing like a dark sun inside him.
Pete caressed the dog’s shoulder. “Don’t be. Remember, from weakness comes strength. Now rest, rest and wait until I will summon you forth.”
Volant nodded. “Yes, Master.”
Pete turned his attention to the living and the dead felines.“I believe this matter is settled, my ladies. You should go.”
Morrigan’s body almost burst into ethereal flames of rage. <Do you expect me to keep silent about this, you malevolent monster?!>
“Of course not, dear. I expect you to warn Dragon, Chocolate, Tarot, Sabrina…you name one. Oh, and just tell them this: it’s not worth it.”
<What do you mean?>
At a simple gesture of the gryphon’s fingers, she had her answer the moment dozens and dozens of ghosts appeared around Volant! Morrigan saw them staring at her with open hostility, as if they were defending their most precious treasure…
A treasure which was shining with a light as strong as a small sun.
And she understood why Volant had ended up here –or rather, why Pete had planned to send him here!
Contrarily to popular belief, there were no ‘good ghosts’ or ‘bad ghosts’: what they became in the otherworld was dictated by what they had been during their mortal lives. A ghost that hadn’t passed was like a pale reflection of what the living had been. In this there was no ‘evil’ or ‘good’.
These creatures, who had devoted themselves to take care of the living souls at the Lucky Charm Grove, found in Volant the strongest living light, and that light was energy, not emotion. They were drawn like moths to him.
They would guard him. And a direct intervention of highest powers could unleash a new ripple between the two planes, just like during the Whiteman/Foster House crisis. And once again many innocent lives would be endangered…
The feline ghost hung her head, acknowledging defeat.
Pete nodded. “I knew you were smart. Thank you for visiting, but now my avatar needs some rest. Oh, and don’t worry, I’ll invite you to my celebration party once I’ve won.” He snapped his fingers, and *poof* Lizzie and Morrigan were gone.
---
A first inspection and an accurate sniffing had shown there was no poison in the mouse. Bora had eaten with gusto, while thinking at a way to take advantage of what she knew about Piper’s past activities.
“You know, my pretty raptor,” Piper said, while eating a serving of his favorite fruits. “I thought that our association was destined to produce interesting results.”
She gobbled down a mouthful. “Have you changed your mind?”
Piper shrugged. “Well, I am not exactly keen on the idea of risking my life every time you get upset…”
“I told you already, it’s forgotten. You couldn’t know.”
“And that’s the second reason.”
She frowned, frozen with a strip of meat and fur hanging from her beak. “What do you mean?”
Piper looked sincerely sorrowful. “Hey, no hard feelings, baby, but…well, I really think you should disappear. I don’t like the idea of you and Tisiphone meeting again. Certain things must stay buried, try to understand.”
*gobble* “I see. But you must understand, this is still where I was born. I don’t like changing home because you have some personal issues, Elegante.”
Piper sighed. “So she spoke to you?”
Bora nodded. “A very detailed report. It makes me wonder what a parrot like you is doing here disguised as the pet of some common human… But don’t worry, blackmail doesn’t belong to me. I just want to be more…involved, that’s all. Whatever thing you’re planning, if it’s going to the detriment of these landwalkers, consider me in.”
Piper seemed to consider that, while rubbing his chin. “Well, admittedly you have a lot of qualities. And I really could use someone who’s not afraid of fighting for the right cause…” Then he shrugged. “But I believe there is a problem.”
Bora stared at him, narrowing her eyes. “And what would that be?”
“My master’s plans do not allow for a third party, sorry.”
Bora stepped once toward the macaw. “Do you think I care for your feelings, or for your master’s? You will help me get rid of these mammal pests or people will learn about you, much before you may call your General to help you. Provided you’ll be alive, of course.”
Piper…smiled. “Oh, but I do not intend to call for him. By the way, did you meet my housemate?” He pointed his wing behind her.
Puzzled, the hawk turned her head—in time to see an immense mouth filling her sight!

Piper turned not to see the demise of his former ally, though the grisly sounds coming from the python’s feeding compensated enough -*sigh* too bad she had forgotten her place, it had been a pleasure flying with her…
“When you’re done, Mac my boy, make sure you get rid of any feather. You know the drill, the less tracks the better.”

SEASON III
EPISODE 14
FIN
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I...
... don't know what to say.

All I can say right now is that I don't know who I hate more at this point, Pete or Piper.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

JeffCvt wrote:I...
... don't know what to say.

All I can say right now is that I don't know who I hate more at this point, Pete or Piper.
we can hate both
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

So Volant is six earth years old instead of the usual eighteen earth years old previously mentioned in the intro, granted it is a better cause. At what point did he meet Angel?

The only hope left is Elpis's email, but it might not be enough. :(

I'm pretty sure the "voice" talking to Alvaro is Brajeres.

valerio

Post by valerio »

volant is about six years old...in human years. He's 18 in terms of dog years.
I counted 'five years ago' in terms of human years