The Legend of Korra

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

McFly

Re: The Legend of Korra

Post by McFly »

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you find confusing?
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Well I'll be pretty vague here since I don't know which episodes these events happen specifically but here goes. Well the fact the Equalists can dodge Lightning kinda bugs me since well.... it's Lightning, I mean that's hard pretty fast.

In one the recent episodes, I think last weeks, the whole invasion of the Pro Bending Arena was a bit weird in the fact that all those people managed to smuggle in those taser gauntlet things into the arena (but then again someone working in the arena could've given it to them. *shrugs*), the guards in that episode were a bit clueless though for just watching the game with their backs turned which caused them to be instantly incapacitated and to make it worse after the arena is taken over it shows that outside the arena all of the Metal Bending Cops airballoons are on fire in the ocean. Now seriously, they have radios, no walkie-talkies? And even if they don't have that kind of technology I mean I'm pretty sure someone should've noticed giant zeppelins catching on fire and crashing into the ocean. I was talking this over with my friend and we came up with some of the civilians just walking through the streets of Republic City and looking up.

Civilian: Oooh, sinking, flaming Metal Bending Cops zeppelin, must be a drill.
Call me Red or Harley, either is fine.

Characters:
(BsM)
Mason Castor: S-4 P-4 E-7 C-8 I-6 A-8 L-5
(EC)
Parker Vester: S-9 P-7 E-8 C-5 I-4 A-6 L-3
McFly

Post by McFly »

Admittedly, it does seem kinda weird that they were able to dodge something like lightning 'cuz, ya'know, it's lightning. However, it has been shown, in the first Avatar series, that people are able to react whenever lightning is about to strike. For example, Iroh was able to save Zuko's ship from lightning by redirecting it. Another example would be when Zuko saved Katara from a lightning bolt shot by Azula during their Agni Kai. How they are able to react so fast, I dunno. But you have to admit, it does seem pretty cool. And like you said, it's cartoon.

As for the rest, I'm not sure what was goin' on there. I mean, upon seeing zeppelins on fire, you'd think someone would have been informed of this.
Toxinus

Post by Toxinus »

And now Toxinus' character evaluation time!
~~~
Mako- Looks like Zuko. Needs to fix his priorities pronto. Be a one girl man! Go home and be a family man!

Korra- Looks like Katara. A surfer dude trapped in a woman's body. Wants to be in Asami's place.

Bolin- Forever Arone, as he is the funny, slightly bulky guy. Liked Korra, but soon found her tongue-tied. (As her lips were lip-locked with Mako's.)

Lin Beifong- Toph's metal-bending daughter. Her middle name is Honey Badger, cause she just don't care, she don't give a crap!

Asami- The sultry young woman who acts seventeen but looks to be in her twenties. e.e Won't be here for long, hopefully.

Tenzin- The awesome old man who has an amazing beard. Teaching the new Kung-Fu Action Jesus about Air-Bending.

Tenzin's family- Consist of a pregnant wife (Fourth child, for those keeping count), two little girls obsessed with romance (but one is smarter and angstier than the other), and a poor little boy who was dropped a few times. Lovely family.

Amon- <- Anon. His group is Anonymous. They are legion. They do not forgive. They do not forget.

~~
In the end, Nickelodeon knows where they got the views from. Those dang Zutara shippers or whatever they call themselves.

A moderator edited this post.
I am Toxinus von Raptora; I abhor contractions and I love art~
McFly

Post by McFly »

You took that last part about Amon from the Avatar Wiki didn't you? ;)
Toxinus

Post by Toxinus »

Nope! My friend and I watched the Premiere of TLOK and when we saw Amon we both said 'Anonymous'.
I am Toxinus von Raptora; I abhor contractions and I love art~
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Ok wow so

Having lost my internet for about a forever, I'm catching up on LoK, satrting at episode 3.

Guys the voice acting is really really bad
bwah bwah
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Psykeout wrote:Ok wow so

Having lost my internet for about a forever, I'm catching up on LoK, satrting at episode 3.

Guys the voice acting is really really bad
What makes you say that? Have to admit though I am getting a bit tired of Steve Blum's voice.

Characters:
(BsM)
(EC)
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

People don't have conversations like that. I'm very aware half the time that I'm listening to voice actors reading off a script.
They're KIND OF getting better? The scenes where romance is involved are particularly strained and I can tell the actors aren't very good at sounding awkward. Seems pretty forced.

Tenzin and some of the older characters do well, but you gotta really deliver the line right or it won't sit well.

Just generally not impressed with the voice acting, which bugs me because Avatar had some pretty nice voice acting and I DON'T KNOW GUYS

PSYKE IS PASSIONATE ABOUT NOT LIKING VOICE ACTING.
bwah bwah
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Good point, at some points I don't feel like they're trying hard enough. But I agree with you on Tenzin's VA, dunno why but for me he sounds a lot more believable and the one part that really sticks out for me is when he's about to elaborate on his and Lin's relationship and then suddenly reels back and refuses to elaborate. I think that sort of control in tone between getting all lovey dovey and then suddenly switching to a believable serious tone is hard to master for a VA in my opinion.

Characters:
(BsM)
(EC)
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

HarlequinRed wrote:Good point, at some points I don't feel like they're trying hard enough. But I agree with you on Tenzin's VA, dunno why but for me he sounds a lot more believable and the one part that really sticks out for me is when he's about to elaborate on his and Lin's relationship and then suddenly reels back and refuses to elaborate. I think that sort of control in tone between getting all lovey dovey and then suddenly switching to a believable serious tone is hard to master for a VA in my opinion.
Yeah, I was thinking about that exact same scene actually! That's the moment when I thought "oh man nice job Tenzen"
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

Oh dear.

A topic like this could really unleash my fangirl side. And my fangirl side is not pretty
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

So, which are your bets about Amon?
1)he's part robot
2)is a spirt of has the protection of one
3)Is an anti-avatar or maybe a water bender who can counter blood bending
My guess is the number 2. If you have different theories, please share.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:So, which are your bets about Amon?
1)he's part robot
Amon is a Spirit Bender.
bwah bwah
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Psykeout wrote:
angelusbr wrote:So, which are your bets about Amon?
1)he's part robot
Amon is a Spirit Bender.
The part about Amon being Aang's son is a bit weird and unplausable.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

My guess is that Amon is that random bum in the first episode in the twinkling bush.

Characters:
(BsM)
(EC)
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

HarlequinRed wrote:My guess is that Amon is that random bum in the first episode in the twinkling bush.
what?
McFly

Post by McFly »

Nah, it's gotta be the cabbage merchant. :lol:
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:The part about Amon being Aang's son is a bit weird and unplausable.
It's really implausible but totally not random. I have a hard time imagining that they would mention that Aang had two other children if they weren't part of the plot.
bwah bwah
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

this kinda made me sad:
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:The part about Amon being Aang's son is a bit weird and unplausable.
And it turns out the real answer was equally as dumb!

that was a good season finale wow
bwah bwah
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Alright saw the finale just and got a good laugh when Korra learned Air Bending since I kept telling my friends that if she lost her bending to Amon except for Air and had to relearn the rest that'd be a sort of cheap attempt to prolong the series. Then she got them and I was like 'Oh okay so that's nice I suppose.' Just wondering on what the conflict will be with Amon out though because the Equalists were starting to look like a force to be reckoned with.

Characters:
(BsM)
(EC)
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

They just punch you in the face with that last episode:
- Amon (Noatak) is Tarlok's brother
- Amon is a bloodbender
- Korra loses her bending to Amon
- Korra learns airbending
- Amon's revolution is stopped
- Amon and Tarlok die (saddest part of the episode :cry: )
- Korra contacts Aang
- Korra gets her bending back
- Korra enters the avatar state
- Korra cures Amon's "cleansing"
- Korra and Mako confess their feelings for each other
This all could have been so much better if there had been more (much more) development in between these events.
The best part of the episode was probably seeing Bumi. He was on screen for less than five seconds but I already love the guy. :lol:
TheSilentChoice

Post by TheSilentChoice »

Just like to throw in that Hiroshi is STILL an equalist and alive.

But yah, the waterbedning brothers' death was sad. Especially since the last line was, "Yah, just like the good days." *kaboom*
Needless~ (By Me)
We laughed at him because he was different,
He laughed at us because we were the same,
We chided him for his mind,
He chided us for ours were all the same,
We will never laugh the same way again,
He will never laugh again.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

HarlequinRed wrote:Just wondering on what the conflict will be with Amon out though because the Equalists were starting to look like a force to be reckoned with.
They've still got stuff to take care of!

There are romantic subplots, Bumi is in town, there is STILL non-bending prejudice in republic city, and the equalist movement won't die just because Amon did. There's political intrigue, Korra needs to return people's bending, and she still needs to practice her airbending. Korra is now the real actual avatar, and so now she has avatar responsibilities. We need to learn about Makko's parents, and there was a new baby born that will probably get ome spotlight.

So they still have a lot of stuff to work with, and I'm sure the second season's conflict has potential to be interesting, though I'm hoping it will be less conflict-driven and more of a look into the world of republic city and the avatar.
bwah bwah
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

I suppose so but I mean a conflict that lasts not just minor plotholes that need filling. Like who the new villain will be and whatnot or something that makes the world just a tad bit more dangerous than it already is. I mean sure they could cover all that stuff in other episodes but they still need an overall conflict in the story. Now I agree that there is still Non-Bending prejudice but my assumption is that without a figure to really spearhead the movement now it'll probably subside to the point where no one really cares.

But seeing as how Amon's 'cleansing' was explained by some sort of blood bending I'm guessing this will start a whole new sort of league of Blood Benders who know how to do it or something. I mean Amon must've taken the time to teach someone maybe. Either that or I'm just thinking Star Wars Force Unleashed and all that jazz.

Characters:
(BsM)
(EC)
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

HarlequinRed wrote:I suppose so but I mean a conflict that lasts not just minor plotholes that need filling. Like who the new villain will be and whatnot or something that makes the world just a tad bit more dangerous than it already is. I mean sure they could cover all that stuff in other episodes but they still need an overall conflict in the story. Now I agree that there is still Non-Bending prejudice but my assumption is that without a figure to really spearhead the movement now it'll probably subside to the point where no one really cares.
They can always come up with a conflict is what I'm saying. But I wouldn't mind if they didn't really HAVE an encompassing conflict. It'd be a nice way to entertain the exploration of a cool universe. Of course, they'll probably have some conflict. But at the very least, I'd like if it wasn't another bad guy. There are more creative ways to create conflict, especially with the current setting.

In response to prejudice:
1) Political movements can't be killed as easily as assassinating the head, especially one that has such a large following.
2) I was talking about Prejudice against non-benders, not the other way around. The society is clearly geared toward benders (even if subtly). The council is made of four bending representatives, so no non-benders could have that much power in the governmental system. When Makko wanted some extra cash, he used is fire bending to put in time at a power plant, and the police force seems to be comprised of metal benders (almost?) exclusively. These seem like logical and reasonable circumstances, but it shows that the job market is better for benders, which can come with all sorts of social, political, and economical implications. There is no word for a non-bender; they're just referred to as non-benders, because the culture's perception is set from that of the bending community. It's really interesting to me and it's fun to over-think.
bwah bwah
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Hmmmm I see well my guess is that Republic city may have a fifth council member that's not a bender but as far as conflict yeah I'm used to having the central enemy bad guy. I mean it helps but I see what you mean. Also love the Lackadaisy avatar.

Characters:
(BsM)
(EC)
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

My 2 cents for the season finale: It was quite good. I wonder if Amon was aware of what his brother was doing (he could sense him moving, right? Since he's a blood bender he can detect blood, like when he did with Korra). Now I wonder what the remaininig books will be about.
Plus I agree that they should have a 5th non-bender council member.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:My 2 cents for the season finale: It was quite good. I wonder if Amon was aware of what his brother was doing (he could sense him moving, right? Since he's a blood bender he can detect blood, like when he did with Korra). Now I wonder what the remaininig books will be about.
Plus I agree that they should have a 5th non-bender council member.
There was a funny tumblr post about the name of the last book actually
"1: Water
2: Earth
3: Fire
4: Air
5: ... Sword and Fan?"

(It was a reference to a joke made in the original series by Sokka)
bwah bwah
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Ok, here we are. The legend of Korra has come and gone. All four seasons.
So shall we discuss it. What was our favorite seasons, characters, bending abilities?
I will start the ball rolling.
My favorite season was either the second or the third.
My favorite character was Varrick because he was so eccentric.
My favorite bending ability was earth because it worked well for defense and offense whilst having many branches e.g. earth, sand, lava and metal. Oh and because of Tophs' method of sensing the vibrations in the earth to determine locations, secret passages and if someone is lying.
Hi Hi Pie