Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I had a "I can't believe I have not seen this movie yet" moment this week. I finally watched "The Crow" and it ROCKED! That is such a good movie! I had seen another one of Alex Proyas' called "Dark City" before and it was awesome too. I tracked down a copy of the soundtrack and the original graphic novel. I think I have found a new obsession. I love its mix of gothic romance and action. It is easily one of my favorite comic book adaptations.

Also, this weekend a friend and I went to go see "The Avengers" and it was really good. It did not fail to entertain and surpassed my expectations for it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I think it will be awesome since they set up Thanos as the next villain.
I can never seem to find the crow, which kinda suck because I really want to see what the hype is about.

Oh man avengers two is gonna be great, Thanos is such a cool villain!!!!
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Just watched "House of the Devil"... It was awesome! I highly recommend it! I wish I could give more details about it but I fear that I might give too much of the plot away. All you need to know is that a college girl accepts a babysitting job from a couple in there house in the middle of nowhere.

I wish more horror films could be like this. It was an indy film shot for less than a million dollars, in 18 days and it is still better than most of the garbage that is out there today. Instead, big studios give us pointless, mundane, PG-13 rated crap like "Shark Night 3D".
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Last night I realized that It's been 5 years since Grindhouse was released and Rob Zombie still hasn't made Werewolf women of the SS.
and then I was sad
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Last night I realized that It's been 5 years since Grindhouse was released and Rob Zombie still hasn't made Werewolf women of the SS.
and then I was sad
They did make "Machete" and "Hobo with a Shotgun". There still maybe hope. Maybe they are just working their way up to it.
-Virgil
Liam

Post by Liam »

Seth wrote:Werewolf women of the SS
Sounds like a film that shouldn't necessarily be done...
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Radio Blue Heart

Liam wrote:

The fake trailer was done as a parody of the old exploitation movies of the 1970s and 1980s. It would not take itself seriously if it was made.

Speaking of more "throwback" films. I ordered copies of the movies "Chillerama" and "The Sleeper". From what I have been told about them, they are really good!
-Virgil
Liam

Post by Liam »

Don't those braindead "HAWHAW wacky Nazis/Soviet/mass murderer" flicks kind of trivialize and normalize these issues to the point where the little guy on Main Street doesn't even recognize fascism, etc. anymore?

I recently saw Wall Street on DVD. Good film, really.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Radio Blue Heart

Liam wrote:Don't those braindead "HAWHAW wacky Nazis/Soviet/mass murderer" flicks kind of trivialize and normalize these issues to the point where the little guy on Main Street doesn't even recognize fascism, etc. anymore?

I recently saw Wall Street on DVD. Good film, really.
It is not that these films make us think that fascist/Nazis are funny things. Most of these films go out of there way to show how evil and terrible these people are. Rob Zombie's fake trailer was a parody of these kinds of films. It is removed from the source material, films like "Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS" and "The Beast in Heat" which just used Nazis as vehicles for mayhem and gore.

Some are used as satire, like this trailer for a film from the Netherlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-PpUygrwKg
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Liam wrote:
you've obviously never watched the trailer :P
Nicholas cage as Fu-Manchu would be the greatest thing ever filmed
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
They did make "Machete" and "Hobo with a Shotgun". There still maybe hope. Maybe they are just working their way up to it.
You have no idea how much I want to believe that.
Liam wrote:Don't those braindead "HAWHAW wacky Nazis/Soviet/mass murderer" flicks kind of trivialize and normalize these issues to the point where the little guy on Main Street doesn't even recognize fascism, etc. anymore?
Possibly, but if art ignored all potentially controversial concepts it wouldn't be very interesting.
Attachments
Grindhouse-Fu.jpg
Grindhouse-Fu.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 8660 times
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I just got done watching Guillermo del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. That is a darn fine horror movie. Lots of atmosphere, good characters, great use of shadows.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I just got done watching Guillermo del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. That is a darn fine horror movie. Lots of atmosphere, good characters, great use of shadows.
You should see the original version from 1973. Its creepy!

I finally got a chance to see an uncut version of "The Prowler". It was awesome!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I just got done watching Guillermo del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. That is a darn fine horror movie. Lots of atmosphere, good characters, great use of shadows.
You should see the original version from 1973. Its creepy!

I finally got a chance to see an uncut version of "The Prowler". It was awesome!
I plan to see the original version as soon as I can! :)

And "The Prowler"...that sounds familiar...
Radio Blue Heart

"The Prowler" is one of the best slasher films of the 80s. It is also known under the alternate title "Rosemary's Killer". Its about a girl who sent her soldier boyfriend a dear john letter and was murdered at a school dance in 1945. Years later the dance is being held for the first time since and the killer returns.

I just watched this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFk3vPxqZT4

Its called "The Keep", and I really don't know what to make of it. If anyone has the time or gets bored, check it out and tell me what you think.
-Virgil
King'sparty4fun

Post by King'sparty4fun »

Jurassic park!!!
I am a master of the night, for I am a spook! A binder of ghosts,witches,anything that goes bump in the night! And this is my apprentice Tomas ward.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

So, I just saw the trailer for Red Tails...

I'm unsure about how much I like it. I mean, it's got a lot of themes that I like, and the trailer unusually got my attention. Mostly I dislike American World War 2 movies, and seeing it's George Lucas makes me even more hesitant. It wasn't rated highly at...any website I've looked at either. Still, I'd like to see what the film's like. It's not often I like a film from a trailor alone, after all...

(upon looking it up, it's been released in USA since 20th of January. Gonna be in England by 6th of June. Hate how long some movies/games take to reach us.)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

44R0NM10 wrote:So, I just saw the trailer for Red Tails...

I'm unsure about how much I like it. I mean, it's got a lot of themes that I like, and the trailer unusually got my attention. Mostly I dislike American World War 2 movies, and seeing it's George Lucas makes me even more hesitant. It wasn't rated highly at...any website I've looked at either. Still, I'd like to see what the film's like. It's not often I like a film from a trailor alone, after all...

(upon looking it up, it's been released in USA since 20th of January. Gonna be in England by 6th of June. Hate how long some movies/games take to reach us.)
Wow, that's weird. Usually big movies get released outside the U.S. first.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I've seen Red Tails.

I personally liked it, but I also tend to like WWII movies.
I would personally say that if you dislike movies about WWII, you probably won't like it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Went and saw dark Shadows with the family yesterday and it was awesome.
I think I may have to admit that I'm a Tim Burton fan, as much as it pains me to do so.
on a related note who else is super-excited for abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Just watched "Chillerama"...

That movie is ridiculous!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Just watched "Chillerama"...

What's it about?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Just watched "Chillerama"...

What's it about?

Its an anthology film. The main story is about a group of people going to the last show at a drive-in theater that is about to be shut down and they watch three movies. Then the viewer get attacked by perverted zombies. I wish I could tell you what each of the stories are, but I think I would violate all the forums rules at once. Just read about it at wikipedia. It is far more outrageous than you could imagine!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, is it a good ridiculous or a bad ridiculous?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:So, is it a good ridiculous or a bad ridiculous?

I liked it so I would say "good". You may want to draw your own conclusions based on your sense of humor.
-Virgil
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

Seth wrote:Went and saw dark Shadows with the family yesterday and it was awesome.
I think I may have to admit that I'm a Tim Burton fan, as much as it pains me to do so.
on a related note who else is super-excited for abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

I don't know about that one, it's like weird sort of combination of something cool and then something like 'I dunno if I want to watch this' for me. Mainly because the idea seems so like odd to me. But then again there are probably a lot more weirder concepts out there. Could be good, but my guess is that fans of the book will probably say 'the book's better.'
JeffCvt wrote:I've seen Red Tails.

I personally liked it, but I also tend to like WWII movies.
I would personally say that if you dislike movies about WWII, you probably won't like it.
Funny, my friend told me he watched this movie with his grandpa and when they left he was angry. My friend's grandpa was apparently some sort of plane buff so when he saw one part he got angry. Something along the lines of "(said some part of the movie I can't remember) those German planes used larger caliber bullets and they would've torn those other planes apart as opposed to them (good guys) getting hit, shrugging it off and then killing the Nazis." Yeah may not've been my best description.
Call me Red or Harley, either is fine.

Characters:
(BsM)
Mason Castor: S-4 P-4 E-7 C-8 I-6 A-8 L-5
(EC)
Parker Vester: S-9 P-7 E-8 C-5 I-4 A-6 L-3
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Alright, I just finished watching "we were soilders". Wow, I loved every part of it. The end Almost had me in tears.
Last edited by 44R0NM10 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radio Blue Heart

If you want to see a really good war film, watch "Come And See". Its my all-time favorite from that particular genre.
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

As soon as I saw 'Soviet army' I want to see it. I've already mentioned not liking American World War 2 films, so I hope I'll enjoy this different experience. Thanks for telling me about it.
Radio Blue Heart

44R0NM10 wrote:As soon as I saw 'Soviet army' I want to see it. I've already mentioned not liking American World War 2 films, so I hope I'll enjoy this different experience. Thanks for telling me about it.

I will warn you. "Come And See" is a very disturbing film. Its depictions of violence perpetrated against Soviet civilians by fascist troops is unflinching. That aside, it is probably the best Russian movie since "Alexander Nevsky".

If that's the case, then you should also see the film "Attack on Leningrad". It is a really good one. Its more recent. There are still many other Russian films about the Second World War. There are so many to see.

If you want to see some good German films about the war, see "The Bridge", "Stalingrad" and "Das Boot".
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I never knew there were any German World War 2 films beside 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'.

But anyway, the more realism and less American war hero stereotypes the better.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I feel kinda scared about commenting around here all of a sudden...
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I feel kinda scared about commenting around here all of a sudden...
Don't be, friend. To make you feel more comfortable here is the crew of Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew watching the giant monster movie "Gorgo".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NWEmwunmg
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I feel kinda scared about commenting around here all of a sudden...
Don't be, friend. To make you feel more comfortable here is the crew of Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew watching the giant monster movie "Gorgo".

Oh, well thanks, friend. But it's just, I'm a fan of American war movies. Just...yeah...
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

Oh, well thanks, friend. But it's just, I'm a fan of American war movies. Just...yeah...
Oh. I have nothing against them. I like a lot of them, I was just posting examples of films from other countries. But probably my favorite would be "A Bridge Too Far".
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Don't worry about me, I just know what genres I like and what genres I don't like. I'm not saying the movies aren't good, 'Saving Private Ryan' is a movie I think the whole world has to admit is good.

I'm just not a fan of the genre in general. I'm not a fan of slasher films either (though I do like psychological horrors).
Radio Blue Heart

44R0NM10 wrote:Don't worry about me, I just know what genres I like and what genres I don't like. I'm not saying the movies aren't good, 'Saving Private Ryan' is a movie I think the whole world has to admit is good.

I'm just not a fan of the genre in general. I'm not a fan of slasher films either (though I do like psychological horrors).

I love slasher films. Fact is that last night I watched "The Dorm That Dripped Blood".

If you want a middle ground between these two genres, then try films from the Italian "Giallo" genre. If you need some suggestions, try "Deep Red", "Phenomena", "Twitch Of The Death Nerve", "Suspiria", "Lizard In A Woman's Skin", and "The School That Could Not Scream"
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I had a look at a couple of the trailers. I've only actually heard of 'Deep Red' before out of that list. I might check one or two of them out. I've currently got a load of movies to watch on my shelf as it is though, hehe.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The slasher genre is my favorite horror genre. It has a wholly unique feel to it, but at the same time can be altered with the addition of another genre. For example, the movie Alien is basically a slasher movie, only with an alien as the unstoppable killer and a spaceship serving as the enclosed environment.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:The slasher genre is my favorite horror genre. It has a wholly unique feel to it, but at the same time can be altered with the addition of another genre. For example, the movie Alien is basically a slasher movie, only with an alien as the unstoppable killer and a spaceship serving as the enclosed environment.

Too true. Plus you knew that is was basically a slasher film when you was Sigourney Weaver's underwear. :lol:

Some have argued that the slasher and giallo genres can trace their origins to Agatha Christie's "body count" stories. Isolate a group of people in a remote and foreboding location and bump them off one by one. And then there were none!

Definitely check out that film I told you about earlier, "The Prowler". Also I recently picked up a box set of the three "Slumber Party Massacre" movies. With a title like that I know what I am getting!
44R0NM10 wrote:I had a look at a couple of the trailers. I've only actually heard of 'Deep Red' before out of that list. I might check one or two of them out. I've currently got a load of movies to watch on my shelf as it is though, hehe.
"Deep Red" is an excellent start! You can't go wrong with a Dario Argento film. His other films are worth checking out too. But, by far "Suspiria" is his masterpiece.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Tracing slasher and giallo horror to Christie stories such as "And Then There Were None" is a logical conclusion to reach. I certainly believe it. And I'll definitely check out "The Prowler" when I get the chance.
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Just watched Chronicle.
Really great movie, although the camera point-of-view may not be for everyone. They may be working on a sequel.