Common National Stereotypes

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Re: Common National Stereotypes

Post by 0404 »

Mctwisp wrote:Let's go talk about languages in school. I heard in somewhere you must know english before the High School(countries who don't have english like first language).

In Brazil, we have to learn two foreign language: English and Spanish.

We learn english since first grade to highschool. But the learning is sucks. Somes learn english with your own(like me before) or find a language course(like me now).

We learn spanish sometimes in the High school(some schools don't have spanish) and learn a language for only three years(with inefficient learning) is waste of time.

I learned writing by myself and I'm learning to speak in a course.
do you learn Englsih as in a translation, or just launguage by it self?
and what I just said doens't make sense...
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

MilesKingford wrote: Thank you for sharing that! I always swore that I would never move to the United States for as long as I live because I was led to believe that your government forces religion on their people. I am so glad that is not the case! Thanks again! :D
Now that's an odd thing, because most governments in the US are terrified of appearing like they're forcing religion on anyone, to the extent that a number of religious references in public buildings have been removed due to complaints (though it's far from an epidemic). While the conservative side of the US insists it's a christian nation, most people know that if the government were to actually enforce some form of religion, it would just start squabbles between christian sects again, because there is no state religion.

That the US is religious, that's another matter entirely, but then again that's hardly an uncommon phenomenon.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

texascat018 wrote: do you learn Englsih as in a translation, or just launguage by it self?
and what I just said doens't make sense...
Not only translating comics.

The real english knowledge which I conquered(now) was reading, writing(MSN, Omegle, forums,etc.), playing games and trying to do simultaneous translation from my language to english.

But all these things don't help to talk with someone. Only practicing speech. Or do a course. Doing courses helps you to learn more faster(if you do on a very good course). I tried to learn japanese for four months and I learned very much. I never though japanese was so easy.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp

Post by 0404 »

@mactwisp
I should think about learning Japaness, so that I can watch anime without subs'.
It sounds odd but, you can talk to youur self in English to practice :p
----------------------------
Speaking of national antheme, sure UK's antheme is about praising the Loyal Queen. While our's being a celebration of the freedom and the independent, and more...

UK:God save the Queen!
USA:In God is our trust.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"In God We Trust" is printed on our money, but it doesn't appear in the text of our national anthem.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:"In God We Trust" is printed on our money, but it doesn't appear in the text of our national anthem.
If you count all verses...

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust." <--------------------------
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

yeah, no one really knows about other three verses.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You'll forgive Sleet, she's kind of an uncultured derp.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh I misread what you said anywhere. It's on all of our money. Muscle memory, yaknow?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

In America it differs from state to state, but I was required to take 2 years of a foreign language in highschool. Usually Spanish I & II (or French or maybe Latin).
Then colleges have their own requirements for foreign language (here it is 3 semesters of a foreign language).

So most people here don't really learn much at all, and then they forget it once they get out. :? It's actually pretty sad.

Me: I took Spanish I - IV in highschool (not that I really learned all that much, but it was a good foundation). Now I'm taking Japanese I - VI in college :D
Fun Times!!!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Same here.

'cause I didn't choose the second foreign language (French, for obvious reasons) in middle school and took another class instead I had to attend a Latin crash course in high school. Fun times.

Another common stereotype: we're crazy for soccer. Well, yes, the general majority is.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Is it true that Germans eat a lot of meat? =D
I'm a bookworm!
Liam

Post by Liam »

It depends on whether you compare us to other developed countries or the entire world.

Also, thank you for asking, otherwise I hadn't stumbled over this awesome site.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hahah, you're welcome :) And indeed, it's a pretty neat site. At least I know now what average of weight is in my country per person.. and that we eat less than Germans ;)

And I asked is because I heard that Germans like to eat various types of sausages, adding beer to it. But the stereotype of beer got overturned already in this thread, so just wanted to make sure how's with meat :)
I'm a bookworm!
Liam

Post by Liam »

While I have no hard numbers on that one, I think sausages are among the favourite foods here. At least I always see a wide variety at meat counters. Various kinds of steak are popular, too.

But I believe it varies greatly from region to region. We're a less monolithic country than the global public may think (many countries are, I guess). A few hundred years ago there were only the "Germanies", a diverse cluster of states with more or less the same language, so our now unified nation retains a diverse set of customs and traditions.

My federal state Rheinland-Pfalz, for example, is a mix of Bavarian and French culture, so a lot of our idiosyncrasies aren't representative of the rest of Germany.

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote: It's on all of our money. Muscle memory, yaknow?
I haven't seen any of American dollar/changes for several years... and my muscle has short term memory loss symptoms.

I don't like how canadian one buck is coin(loonie) not a paper money. spending a dollar just feels like spending a qurtar..
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

rickgriffin wrote:
MilesKingford wrote: Thank you for sharing that! I always swore that I would never move to the United States for as long as I live because I was led to believe that your government forces religion on their people. I am so glad that is not the case! Thanks again! :D
Now that's an odd thing, because most governments in the US are terrified of appearing like they're forcing religion on anyone, to the extent that a number of religious references in public buildings have been removed due to complaints (though it's far from an epidemic). While the conservative side of the US insists it's a christian nation, most people know that if the government were to actually enforce some form of religion, it would just start squabbles between christian sects again, because there is no state religion.

That the US is religious, that's another matter entirely, but then again that's hardly an uncommon phenomenon.
Perhaps its the idea that the United States is so religious (in comparison with most other developed societies) that people wonder why this is the case and assume it must be something the US government is doing. It is a common and well established fact that the wealthier (and more developed a society becomes) the less attachment there is to religion. It is also true of individual people, back in the days of the old British Aristocracy, the common people were religious (as well as poor, uneducated, and destitute) while the rulng nobility were not (as well as wealthy, educated, and with all their needs satisfied). Since the US is the most wealthy society in the world (so far) it is bizarre that it continues to be as heavily committed to religious practices as it does, and most people of the United States claim that religion plays a major role in peoples lives.
This is probably where the idea that the US government must be pushing religion on their people comes from. But, if one takes a deeper look into US culture, societal attitudes, as well as the activities of its citizens, you can start to see a far more intricate picture of how religion remains so popular.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hey, I got a question to Italians since there are some of them here :)

Is it true that Italians are the most fanatic football/soccer supporters in Europe or it's just a stereotype?
MilesKingford wrote:But, if one takes a deeper look into US culture, societal attitudes, as well as the activities of its citizens, you can start to see a far more intricate picture of how religion remains so popular.
I'm not sure is religion popular in United States. From what I observe by watching media, it's more like they turned away from religion and it's believes. But maybe it's because I'm an outsider who looks upon US differently.
I'm a bookworm!
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

The US is indeed very religious, especially the South and Midwest. Religion (specifically various interpretations of Christianity) is one of the most dominant factors in politics. It plays a role in everything from gay marriage and abortion to helping the needy and war. Most people are aware of the evangelical Christian right, but there is also a very large Christian left as well. Did you know that except for some of the founders (a few who were Deist, a bit of an off-shoot), every President of the US has been Christian? And only one of them was Catholic (JFK).

As Rick said, the government itself has no role in this and is explicity prohibited from being involved in religion by the Constitution. It's entirely cultural. The culture is generally shifting away from conventional Christianity among the younger generations.

I may be generalizing a bit. Maybe.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Let's be careful around religion, especially in terms of where it intersects with politics. I think we're doing alright for the moment, I just wanted to remind y'all since that seems to be where we're headed.

Dan's right that, if the US appears religious, that's a societal rather than governmental thing. I have no idea how the religious beliefs of today stack up with the past because I've never researched it and I haven't really been on this planet long enough to tell the difference.
Image Image

Post by 0404 »

is it true that Xbox is banned in Germany?
and is there lots of german shepherd around?
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Karlos wrote:Hey, I got a question to Italians since there are some of them here :)

Is it true that Italians are the most fanatic football/soccer supporters in Europe or it's just a stereotype?
It would deeply surprise me if anybody is a bigger fanatic then England...I've never been to Italy, but I know every pub in England is always showing Football or Cricket.
Karl

Post by Karl »

44R0NM10 wrote:
Karlos wrote:Hey, I got a question to Italians since there are some of them here :)

It would deeply surprise me if anybody is a bigger fanatic then England...I've never been to Italy, but I know every pub in England is always showing Football or Cricket.
Oh. I guess I used the wrong word to express what I meant :) By fanatic I meant those who are brutal and ruthless. Next time I'll try to be more precise :)

And I'm not sure are British supporters one of the most danger supporters on the world. Few years ago I would say they are, but after Margaret Thatcher's government made reforms about bans from stadium for breaking law, it actually became peaceful, from what I can see from TV as I watch Premier League.

And the reason why I asked Italians this question is because I heard they have terrible wars, including a situation where people threw a scooter down on supporters of enemy team.
I'm a bookworm!
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

44R0NM10 wrote:It would deeply surprise me if anybody is a bigger fanatic then England...
Which is doesn't means they are only ones. In Brazil we're fanatics too. we won five World Cups, winning Italy. But not with so violence. Sometimes have a little fight, when the crowd have intimidated with the opposing crowd. But not so much violence what about the England violent crowd stereotype. I think we had two or three crowd fights in the last two years.

And I heard it the Japan likes football/soccer and golf, is that right?
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Liam

Post by Liam »

texascat018 wrote:is it true that Xbox is banned in Germany?
Huh? Where did you get that from? At no point was this seriously considered.
and is there lots of german shepherd around?
Yes, they're even the most popular race.

Post by 0404 »

Liam wrote:
texascat018 wrote:is it true that Xbox is banned in Germany?
Huh? Where did you get that from? At no point was this seriously considered.
he iz a liar!
http://youtu.be/rOuZLlM24ao?t=43s
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Are not all IGN news lies?
-------------------------
Mexican Stereotypes:
-All the roads are dirt roads
_no

-we walk with our ponchos and big hats down street yelling "AY AHHY AY!"
_no, though we make fun of that sometimes

-we make fun of ourselves' mistakes
_as I said, yes sometimes

-We have indigenous ethnic groups
_Yes we do, they are the original and REAL mexicans, we are just a mixture of Species (average mexican), and some of them they wear traditional clothing wich is similar to this:
Not like this:

-We are Very rude
_Lots of people are..most of people..specially with tourists..american tourists :roll: mostly because we feel they are very racist, and only some of them are... (yeah, i know theres bad and good people just as everywhere else)

-Cops are corrupt and as bad as criminals
_Many of them are, there are good cops too but that would be like a 70%-30%

Questions? You can ask openly, seriously I dont bite ^_^ ...Neither Bark
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone

Post by 0404 »

(Some) Canadians Claim that they don't Say Eh and it's only stereo type thing. But I don't know, I already heard it half a dozen times today.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The three common words i hear that most don't know about Canadians is the words "Aye!", "Bai!" and "Eh". Where i'm at on Cape Breton, We love using the terms "Hey, Buddy!" when talking to anyone, so we commonly just say "Aye, bai!".
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not your buddy, guy!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

he's not your guy, friend.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm not your~ oh,wait... How silly of me.

Aye, bai! I'm your friend! :D
Karl

Post by Karl »

Since Canada was mentioned, I got a question :)

is it true that Canadians have obsession at maple syrup?
I'm a bookworm!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I wouldn't say obsessed, but we definitely love it. I love maple syrup in the morning on my breakfast with Pancakes and toast because of how sweet and tasty it is. I seen it be put on fries and eggs even at times too at restaurants.

Oh, and i don't know if this works outside of Canada, but i never seen a restaurant that doesn't have maple syrup for breakfast if you ask for it, which is awesomely convenient.

Post by 0404 »

nahhh not really obsessed.
you oughta help me out with this cob.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... &start=360
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:he's not your guy, friend.
On this topic... is it true that you Canadians have amassed on the border to invade and finish what was started in the War of 1812?
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I have a question for the US citizens.

Is it true there is still a large number of Southerners that wish to be independent from the US?

I have heard of that but never had the chance to ask about it. We have something similar with the Cornish as well as Welsh, Scotish, Irish and even some of the small offland islands have their own flags, national identity and everything. One small island even had their own small revolt in which four policemen stood handcuffed to the flagpole to stop the "revolutionaries" from taking down the Union Jack. :lol: I thought that scene was hilarious.

Post by 0404 »

HouseFoxy may know about it.
not really an answer, Just sayin'.
Texas has the right to divide into Five states. but if we did, Texas wouldn't be Texas.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hey Miles, since you brought that up, would you mind if I ask you a similar question? :)

Is it true that a lot of Scots want to separate from UK to become independent?
I'm a bookworm!
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

MilesKingford wrote:Is it true there is still a large number of Southerners that wish to be independent from the US?
I know a few do, but definitely not a large portion. Though there are a few Northerners that would love to see them secede :roll: .
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Karlos wrote:Hey Miles, since you brought that up, would you mind if I ask you a similar question? :)

Is it true that a lot of Scots want to separate from UK to become independent?
Many do but the majority are still undecided. A certain political element keeps trying to force the issue but without the support of the majority they have no chance to succeed. Many are nervous over the idea of independence because this has not happened for hundreds of years, Scotland has no experience or modern history to know how to run their own country, and they lack the land and sophisticated economy to build a thriving nation. Even if the Scottish people actually wanted independence, it would simply be impractical.