Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

*hugs back, which feels like hugging a warm pillow made of yes*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:The fandom is full of unsavory characters. I like places like here where everyone is so cool and friendly!

True that! There's not many places like this forum! ^-^
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Sleet wrote:True, but most of the furries you meet in big furry places like FA or conventions tend to be more extreme, dedicated furries (for better or for worse).
Hmm, would that imply that not a lot of more casual furries go to big furry conventions?
MilesKingford wrote:
Sleet wrote:Many furries aren't social enough to interact outside the fandom.
I don't know about that. From the last time I checked I believe the statistics were in the minority when it came to furries dating other furries. It is far more likely that people (furries included, of course) would date those within their own social circles, especially when in school, college or university. For most, the furry fandom is nothing more than a minor interest (meaning they still heavily involve themselves with those outside the fandom), while others (a small minority) take the fandom to whole new extremes that makes it... unlikely they would date a person. And then, as you said, there are those between these two groups who would be too shy to confidently approach those outside the fandom but still want human company. That's just my opinion, anyway.
I might fall into the final category. :oops: I'm still relatively good at being friendly and sociable with people outside fandom, but I don't know about the world of relationships and dating (in OR out of fandom). I'm scared. :(
MilesKingford wrote:
Sleet wrote:There's almost no girls in the fandom.
I don't believe I mentioned women, Sleet. :lol:
Nice. ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Mostly you don't see casual fans at conventions. Sometimes you do, but typically they're fairly dedicated fans. That's not to say they're all creepy fans, but they're still fairly big into the fandom on average.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Sleet wrote:Mostly you don't see casual fans at conventions. Sometimes you do, but typically they're fairly dedicated fans. That's not to say they're all creepy fans, but they're still fairly big into the fandom on average.
That's what I thought.

It also depends on the convention. I'm pretty sure the larger conventions see lots of both dedicated fans and casual fans.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Sleet wrote:Mostly you don't see casual fans at conventions. Sometimes you do, but typically they're fairly dedicated fans. That's not to say they're all creepy fans, but they're still fairly big into the fandom on average.
I think with casual furries its more along the lines of going to a con just to sort of be at one, more like its just something to try and see if they like it
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Sansash wrote:I might fall into the final category. :oops: I'm still relatively good at being friendly and sociable with people outside fandom, but I don't know about the world of relationships and dating (in OR out of fandom). I'm scared. :(
There is nothing to be scared about when it comes to relationships. All it takes is a little courage, consideration and determination to make the relationship work and last (if that is what you want in a relationship). The media makes relationships seem like a minefield but they are more simple that what people think.
Sansash wrote:
MilesKingford wrote:
Sleet wrote:There's almost no girls in the fandom.
I don't believe I mentioned women, Sleet. :lol:
Nice. ;)
I thought it was funny. I still find it amusing that people make immediate assumations about others rather than simply ask them about themselves. Things would be so much simpler that way.
Sleet wrote:True, but most of the furries you meet in big furry places like FA or conventions tend to be more extreme, dedicated furries (for better or for worse).
Indeed, I always thought it was the prudent choice to not join Fur Affinity and not attend the furry conventions. You know that the FA had an internal conflict over whether some "art" should be banned from their site. I would have thought that a ban would be a foregone conclusion, apparently not. That's one reason why I like Housepets, it's clean and safe unlike many other communities.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

MilesKingford wrote: Indeed, I always thought it was the prudent choice to not join Fur Affinity and not attend the furry conventions. You know that the FA had an internal conflict over whether some "art" should be banned from their site. I would have thought that a ban would be a foregone conclusion, apparently not. That's one reason why I like Housepets, it's clean and safe unlike many other communities.
FA has pretty good mature content filters. And as long as you have it set to "general" content, you should be fine. I haven't had any problems with that so far. FA can be a pretty cool place as long as you can keep the trolls away.

Also, I discovered that there are some furs that live in my area. ^-^ pretty exciting. I thought I was the only one.
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sometimes stuff gets through the cracks. And then there's art of very... deformed characters that's clearly meant for dirty purposes but doesn't technically qualify for the filter.

Awesome to hear you've found local furries! We're all over!
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

I guess I thought more casual furries like me went to conventions like MFF. This raises more questions, like, what percentage of all furries have met others by going to a smaller furmeet type event but not a convention, and what percentage of all furries haven't yet met with other furries in real life at all? I suppose one can only guess.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This, my friends, is why furry polls are so hazy with their results.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Most casuals do not go to a con unless they are near it or have reliable transport there and back. You have to be a bit hardcore to want to spend hundreds of dollars (Airfare, hotel, food) on meeting people you don't even know. Though some people do, others do it because they want art or naughty stuff.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

MilesKingford wrote:There is nothing to be scared about when it comes to relationships. All it takes is a little courage, consideration and determination to make the relationship work and last (if that is what you want in a relationship). The media makes relationships seem like a minefield but they are more simple that what people think.
I guess I'm inexperienced. About a year ago, my very first, and most recent, relationship with a girl lasted about 2 months; in my opinion we were just dating; after a while she wanted to talk about where we were headed; she really liked me, but I really didn't like her as much or enough to want to be her boyfriend. I guess my biggest trouble is finding someone, and figuring out that I would really want to make a relationship work and last with that someone.

Sorry that this is off topic :)
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Sleet wrote:This, my friends, is why furry polls are so hazy with their results.
Polls are largely useless when it comes to researching a subculture. It would be better to conduct a full sociological study on the furry fandom, a proper and thorough study of the subculture would be able to properly dispel the inaccuracies about this subculture and apply a true generalisation which would reflect the subculture as a whole rather than focusing on the unpopular aspects. But, unfortunately, no group (other than the furry fandom itself) would ever wish for such a study to be done, and it would also cost a lot of money to have the study done by the respected sociologists (no one is going to listen to a study conducted by a newly graduated sociologists, regardless of how successful they were in their exams).
Sansash wrote:I guess I'm inexperienced. About a year ago, my very first, and most recent, relationship with a girl lasted about 2 months; in my opinion we were just dating; after a while she wanted to talk about where we were headed; she really liked me, but I really didn't like her as much or enough to want to be her boyfriend. I guess my biggest trouble is finding someone, and figuring out that I would really want to make a relationship work and last with that someone.

Sorry that this is off topic :)
We can continue this privately.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Foxstar wrote:Most casuals do not go to a con unless they are near it or have reliable transport there and back. You have to be a bit hardcore to want to spend hundreds of dollars (Airfare, hotel, food) on meeting people you don't even know. Though some people do, others do it because they want art or naughty stuff.
There's one near me every year but I never consider going but last year there was an artist for an online comic I liked, which is really rare for me because I live in the middle of the ocean and most artists are American or live in one of the "better" cities, so I thought I'd go. It was surprisingly tame. I mean like 75% of people were dressed up but there wasn't anything dirty (that I saw) and everyone was so comfortable it would have been uncomfortable to be uncomfortable around them, if that makes sense.

The one thing I couldn't handle was the number of people taking photos! Seriously, you'll see something that you want to go look at and you'll suddenly realise you're walking straight through someone's photo shot or even worse you'll see the pre-flash, turn to see what it is and become the confused looking subject of their photo...
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

So, I just watched an episode of Young Justice. Beast boy has the ability to maintain a mostly humanoid shape, yet chooses to spend most of his time with a monkey's tail and with a monkey-like face. does this make him a furry?

also, have I spent too much time as a shape-shifter that I kinda want his powers for real?
and does it make me at least a partial furry that I would probably keep the monkey tail most of the time too in that situation?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Monkey tails provide balance, it's not furry, it's practical. If I had shape-shifting abilities I'd probably find a form that had better skills than my human form, whether that be furry or not.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Nyaliva wrote:Monkey tails provide balance, it's not furry, it's practical. If I had shape-shifting abilities I'd probably find a form that had better skills than my human form, whether that be furry or not.
true. it's why I decided to keep the wings in my human form.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:So, I just watched an episode of Young Justice. Beast boy has the ability to maintain a mostly humanoid shape, yet chooses to spend most of his time with a monkey's tail and with a monkey-like face. does this make him a furry?

also, have I spent too much time as a shape-shifter that I kinda want his powers for real?
and does it make me at least a partial furry that I would probably keep the monkey tail most of the time too in that situation?
Personally don't think so on both counts. Furry or not, 'shapeshifter' or not, the ability to change into any one of multiple animal forms would appeal to a great many people just for the advantage it would offer. The tail falls under the same note I think, presuming it's prehensile that is. An extra limb that can be used to help hold, carry or move things or just for the sake of improved balance would be too convenient not to take advantage of in a situation where you could have it I think.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So at the zoo yesterday I came up with the idea of a ridiculous species: the giraffin. Someone needs to change their fursona to this.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:So at the zoo yesterday I came up with the idea of a ridiculous species: the giraffin. Someone needs to change their fursona to this.
I can't hardly picture what that would look like! Haha!
------------------

Liam

Post by Liam »

So, is that half giraffe, half griffin or half giraffe, half dolphin?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Liam wrote:So, is that half giraffe, half griffin or half giraffe, half dolphin?
It's half giraffe, half griffin. Still can't figure out how it would look. Lol
------------------

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

a griffin with a long neck, duh.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:a griffin with a long neck, duh.

But what about spots? Giraffes have spots. And what about the kind of feet Giraffes have? Would a Giraffin have hooves or clawed feet?
------------------

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Inali wrote:But what about spots? Giraffes have spots. And what about the kind of feet Giraffes have? Would a Giraffin have hooves or clawed feet?
it would have spotted feathers and would have one hoof and one talon.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's a half giraffe, half eagle.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that changes everything
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Would it be okay if I posted a link to a friend's furry forum? It's fallen on some hard times recently do to lack of advertising, with maybe a half-dozen people still visiting at most.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Penwrite wrote:Would it be okay if I posted a link to a friend's furry forum? It's fallen on some hard times recently do to lack of advertising, with maybe a half-dozen people still visiting at most.
Debatable. The problem is there's hundreds on hundreds of furry fourms across the internet. If it's fallen on hard times, it's likely because there's ten sites doing what they are already trying to do and doing it better.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Foxstar wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Would it be okay if I posted a link to a friend's furry forum? It's fallen on some hard times recently do to lack of advertising, with maybe a half-dozen people still visiting at most.
Debatable. The problem is there's hundreds on hundreds of furry fourms across the internet. If it's fallen on hard times, it's likely because there's ten sites doing what they are already trying to do and doing it better.
Well, it's more because of what I said. There's absolutely no advertisement for it at all, anywhere. Though, I suppose you're right. Just felt there wasn't any harm in asking...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Send the members here if it dies. We welcome furries. :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

just make sure they can follow our rules. We don't welcome uncooperative furries. or uncooperative non-furs.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Hey guys, just at my friends place, opened my laptop and I forgot I had a Slightly Damned background up. My friends saw it and became immediately concerned I was a furry. The accusation itself wasn't so bad but the way they reacted was...alarming. I tried to explain my true likes but I'm now branded as a furry in the backs of their minds. :( Which again, isn't terrible but their view of furries is much less understanding than mine and while I don't think they'll stop liking me or anything (they're really good guys and we've been friends forever) it is a little concerning.

What doooooooo?!?!?!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Go about your life as you always have, since being a fur isn't a big deal?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

or if you don't want them judging you for it, explain that SD isn't really that furry a comic, being about demons and such.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Just tell them the truth. That's what I'd do. Also, what Diss said.

And as Brent said, Slightly Damned isn't even a furry comic. Sure, Rhea's all covered with fur, but she's nothing like a human in appearance. Buwaro is a bit harder to pass as "not furry", but He's only human in the sense of posture and speech. The artist/writer of the comic has even said it before that it's not a furry comic. Chu's pretty adamant about that from what I've seen.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Thanks guys! Yeah I tried to explain SD's not really furry and not explicit at all but it was the picture of Buwaro, Sakido, Iratu and Rhea so it was kind of hard to explain how totally not furry it was. But like I said, they're great guys and I doubt anything'll change between us except they might start joking about me being a furry rather than an old man from the 1920s (I was the most mature kid all through high school, I like classical music and literature and I have a large forehead so it looks like I'm going bald).

But yeah, please don't take offense, I think you guys are great and being a furry isn't a bad thing to me but if you had've seen how they reacted...I think they were mostly just shocked though.

EDIT: And now they've seen me on here and they're like "Yep, definitely furry" and I'm trying to tell them Housepets! isn't bad either! :x I think it's the whole **** idea they're more concerned about and I'm trying to explain how I don't like those sorts of comics.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just tell them it's perfectly clean. Compare it to anime: being a furry doesn't mean you do dirty stuff any more than being an anime fan means you're into WHERE ARE THEY?!.
WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

Why do people look down on furries?
I mean we haven't done anything THAT bad have we?
I had a friend who rejected me because I was a furry (But then she talked to me about it, wanting to know more about the clean side of furries so I explained and now we are cool)

And are footbal mascots considered furry?

Because people don't really seem to acknowledge them as such :l
Pet Friendly:
Zeke Warren RG S-5 P-5 E-5 C-5 I-8 A-9 L-5