Band

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Band

Post by Sleet »

That's awesome! Good luck with that! The job market is so small!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Sleet wrote:That's awesome! Good luck with that! The job market is so small!
I know! It's kind of scary! :shock:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So today in band class the drumline got to get funky.

It felt good to just get to do all of that after a long concert band break. We are already getting ready for next year.

Our director has a lot of the music for the show written and we are working on it a little now so we will already have an idea of what to play when we come in during band camp. (I'm excited if you can't tell)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Awesome! What are you guys going to be playing?

I recently found out that our new marching band director was stepping down in order to make room in her life for a full-time job. Her replacement should be announced next Friday. Incidentally, this will be the third new director I've had in my three years in the band. So yeah. On a brighter note, if everyone who says they're going to join this year actually does, our band will be nearly twice as big as it was last year. Woo! ^_^
Last edited by Coatl_Ruu on Sat May 12, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Well, I'm not sure. He still has to finish most of the songs. But we are playing one from the Rocky movies. (Not Eye of the Tiger)

3 directors in 3 years. :| I'm glad that I have had the same director the entire time.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I had my last jazz band concert ever on Monday. It was a lot of fun. I got to play piano, electric piano and analog synthesizer on one song!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Simultaneously. It was intense.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I played two of them simultaneously. Does that count?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

It still sounds like it was cool.

My school just started a jazz band this year, and when they played after the band concert, they were awesome.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Closest thing to a band that I am in is a group of four people and my music teacher at school, we all improv on guitars and stuff, I suck.
Sent from my conifer.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I've been in a few bands since middle school, my first one as a singer. Yeaaaaah, so we were young, foolish and could only play one song (Seven Nation Army) but we had fun. For a time after that I played bass in another band where much controversy was afoot - I joined on the promise that there was an empty spot and days later I was informed that they had kicked their previous bassist out! :? Awkward much? Regardless, we learnt more songs and played a couple gigs successfully before the singer's and drummer's personal quarrels got too much to handle and we broke up. A reunion was attempted with a couple of the members which, much like Velvet Revolver, did not work.

Then came high school and a bunch of other musicians came to my rescue. The problem was that many of them were already in other groups, so I forgot forming bands for a while and worked on my own bass technique. Within half a year I was bored and began begging helpless individuals to help me make a band. After much searching I had formed a disfunctional throng of musicians who had no chemistry or desire to be in the practice room. The 'band' broke up within a week. I filled in for a bassist with an existant band for a gig (and killed it 8-) ) and the drummer offered to try and arrange it so I could join. Older and wiser though I politely declined, memorable of my past experience.

Currently I play in my uncle's band with musicians who are all older than myself. We get together on an irregular basis and just e-mail each other songs to learn. The practices, gigs and times we've had have been some of my most enjoyable experiences as a musician so far; playing as a young bassist in amongst a wealth of talent has improved my own style and ability to play in a band. It has also granted me lessons in setting up equipment, band politics and performance - when the next opportunity to form/join my own band comes along, I have no doubt I'll have a new look on the concept and an infusion of energy and patience :D

My advice to all musicians is to take every opportunity to play you get. Whether that's on a stage, in a bar or in a classroom in front of a group of disinterested kids, every chance means EVERY chance. I've had good gigs, decent gigs and bad gigs and every single one has helped me on my way in some manner. Be open to asking different people about jam sessions - you could just find some untapped raw chemistry there. And last but not least, live fast, play hard and drink as much soda as you can on the way! :lol:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So my band has been in band camp for two weeks now (Three if you're in the drumline), and I want to know if anyone else is excited about the start of the marching season.
I can't wait. I'm going to miss this so much once I graduate, but I guess it is what it is.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You have no idea how much you'll miss it when you graduate. :P

I wish I still were in it. Marching season is so fun!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Oh, I am going to miss it so much.

We actually had someone last year who graduated that wants to become a band director one day. And he's totally serious about it too. While I wouldn't want to be a director, I would love to become an assistant or something like that.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

A lot of people want to become band directors. Most don't make it. It's not a job that the world needs many of.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Alright guys, I'm going to ask for your help here.
I would you to take a look at these two videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcVQhzRE8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnoyYNFUP8

These are both of me. One from yesterday and one from today. For the first time this year, we are going to be putting moves like this in one of our drumshows.

I would like your feedback on how it looks to you, and even suggestions for other things that I might be able to try and add.
We really have one major rival band, and their drumline is pretty much the only one that can match us. This is my final year, and I feel like destroying them in our drum-off.

It's not that I have anything against them, but they have the only other cymbal players out of any band we play that do stuff besides just stand and crash.

At the very least, please give me some feedback on what you think. This year will be the first time that anyone sees something like this done with a pair of cymbals.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Haha, great! I can't give advice because I was never in a marching band, but I'm not really sure how that is useful other than for showing off. :P
I don't know maybe have a bunch of cymbal players do it and have each person throwing it to one another and almost juggle them? Like trombone suicides except with cymbals.

Can't write today
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Slight problems.
1. Only one other cymbal player.
2. Throwing is out of the question. Someone could get really hurt.

But suggestions are welcome from anyone. Actually, most of the crowd that will be watching isn't/hasn't been in a marching band, so even if you aren't I would still like your perspective.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Not a suggestion, just a question. Do you play anything other than cymbals? :o
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

no... ( :lol: )

In marching band, I don't. But I do know how to do a few of the snare drum tricks.
When the marching season is over and we start concert band, I can play most of the regular percussion parts you might see except for bells and chimes.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

sew your t-shirts :lol: :lol:
yeah, I know it's because of cymbal.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Bring your drum set and just stop paying attention to the director and everyone else in your band. When you go out there just pull off a long and fast solo and BAM! You did it. With your sheer skill and awesomeness, you single-handedly dominated your opponents. You won the game.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I don't have or can play a drumset...

Why does everyone think that?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Because that's what a lot of people think of when they see percussionists.

Also, bad Wanderer! Bad! *newspapers* That is not how good drummers work! D:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The theme of my school's 2012 season marching band show?
Zombie Apocalypse.
I am not kidding.

Over the course of the next two and a half months, I'll be pretending to be the walking dead as an actor at the football game halftime shows and marching competitions.

When I can acquire a picture of myself in costume, I'll gladly share it here. I'll probably be one of the first near-sighted, glasses-wearing zombies. XD
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That is an awesome show. I wanna see it!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

That is so cool.

Five bucks says they're playing Thriller. =P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

One of the drum corps shows my friends played on was Michael Jackson themed.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I doubt they'll play Thriller, but the Halo theme is a common band favorite.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've seen a band play that before as part of their show during a competition.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Sleet wrote:Because that's what a lot of people think of when they see percussionists.

Also, bad Wanderer! Bad! *newspapers* That is not how good drummers work! D:
Come on, you know I'm kidding :p
I thought my over exaggerated tone was obvious.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You want to know what our show is this year?

Simply the Best.

I personally think it isn't as good as the past three years have been based on the music alone. But who knows, we haven't actually started working on the field formations yet so maybe I'll be surprised.

Also, someone in our drumline probably quit. He tried out for snare this year and got on the beginning of camp, but just hasn't been that good.
I mean, it wasn't a matter of practice or anything. It's not like he had a "I don't give a darn" attitude either. He just wasn't very good. He couldn't get simple things right without in-depth instruction for 20 or more minuets at a time. Forget completed things. (He couldn't even mark time to most of the stuff and play it right) So our director moved him to cymbals.

Now he played them last year. He wasn't really that good at them, but he at least knew most of the stuff already. Well, he seemed to be really depressed over what had happened, because he hated the cymbals and was forced back onto them.

Well, we were practicing, but he wasn't playing at all. He wasn't even standing up. I told him that I knew he was disappointed, but that he also needed to stand up, pick up the cymbals and play. I understand why he might not have wanted to, but I don't have the time for people like that. You either pick up and play, or get out of the band. Don't waste our time. (I actually told him that) He got up and sort of played for a few songs, then sat back down.

About half way through practice, he just up and left the room and never came back. Everyone suspects that he quit. While it makes me sad on one hand because I did want to see him do well on the snare, I say good riddance. If you can't handle the fact that you got moved because you aren't good enough and quit because of it, I'm not going to shed a single tear for you.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Drummers have bad attitudes a lot of the time, from my experience.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Not so much in our drumline. Just one or two out of twenty. And not even bad attitudes at that.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Our drummers are actually pretty cool dudes. We're actually pretty well-known for having a very good drum line. This, of course, has a lot to do with them being perfectionists (I've known them since the 6th grade), so they do get a little high-strung when stressed though.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

We were pretty decently well-known for our drum line but still they were kind of butts. Not to mention really gross!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

There was one guy like that in our drumline last year. He, thankfully, didn't join this year. The rest of the drumline is just sort of lazy. =P

Also, a general question for all of you marching band members out there, present or past: how many people are/were in the band at your school? Mine has about 45 this year, and that's an increase from the past two years. We've always been kind of small, but I have some high hopes for this year. A new director who actually knows what he's doing, some new blood in the band (well, half the freshman need to be whipped into shape. We'll need to work on that) ... oh, and we have FOUR tubas this year. As opposed to exactly NONE last season. We actually have a bass line. Woo! x3
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Our band is a little smaller this year, but we are usually 150+ if you include the color guard and dance girls. And we have two tubas. Except one is just a lazy and just couldn't care about anything. So we have one that actually cares.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

My high school marching band always had about 280 members. Junior high was significantly larger. Each has gotten somewhat smaller in the time since I attended public school, but not a lot.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I don't think I've seen a band bigger than 70 members...