RenFox

Fiction: A King's Journey

Post by RenFox »

Edit: Keeping this in order.

A King's House
A King's Country - Below
A King's Continent
---------------

This is just a tiny fic-let that burned itself into me and had to come out. Let me know what you think.

------------------------------------
A King's Country
------------------------------------

It had become a habit. The corgi found himself sitting on the front porch, looking up at the cold stars. In the dark of the night, the sky was simple. His mind was not.

The stars and planets turned above the earth, offering no answers to any creature that stopped to look at them. In that way, the corgi thought, they were alike; he and the universe. His mind also turned, drilling past thoughts he had mused over hundreds of times before. But just the same as what passed above, he never found any answers.

It all came back to one thought: "Don't go native."

An odd idea to be sure, he was a corgi, a dog, in love with another dog. It was a good match, others were wont to think, his shy nature with her open affection. But it was hard to settle. There was always an uncertainty about in his manner, something held back.

His actions would make sense if anyone else knew that he was not exactly a dog... Well, technically he was at the moment, but his original face was human. It was a debate that had raged over him many times in these still moments. Did his form dictate what he was? Or was it his state of birth? Which side won out at the end of the day?

"Don't go native."

It stuck to him like his own fur. Had he made the right choices? Was the path he walked on four legs destined to be returned to two? What was he passing up, with the way he now lived his life?

His unanswered questions seemed to follow his breath into the still, chill air. He could almost imagine them crystallized, taking flight to the stars, seeking truth. He breathed in again and felt the weight of his questions return.

Another thought welled into the chorus: "Did it matter?"

"Don't go native."

"Why?"

"Don't go native..."

"Why not?"

"Don't go... native?"

Deep prejudices, long held but unanchored, were burning away under the starlight. His experiences put everything together. It had come to this. He was not a dog. He was not human. He was himself.

It was a revelation that brought tears to his eyes. He couldn't help a quiet sniffle into the cold. Just as quickly, he let out a little laugh. It was relaxing to let go. He didn't have to plan for the future, or delve into the past. All he had to do was move forward as himself.

He felt like speaking it out, breathing his care into the sky.

"I give up. I'm not going to throw away any happiness I can have, just for what's happened or what might happen. I'm just me, and thats all I can be. My name is..."

He felt a pair of arms encircle his neck, pulling him into a soft hug. A low whisper reached his ear.

"Everything going okay honey?"

He tilted his head up, looking into her teal eyes. She wore a smile that made the corners of his mouth turn up just by looking at. It was eye opening. Apparently he had never realized how far he had fallen, how much he had compromised, without even realizing it. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

With the tiniest of nods, he gripped her arms, turning to face her. Her smile brightened, making her even more beautiful, if such a thing were possible. He leaned forward and gave her a quiet kiss. It was one of gentle love, not passion, though there was no doubt that existed as well. As he pulled away, a faint touch of red tinged her ears, betraying her embarrassment. And for the first time, he felt no rush of warmth for wrong doing. This was right. This was acceptable.

After a long moment, a smile returned to her muzzle. She untangled herself, standing up on the porch. Helping him to his paws in a moment, she walked back to the door. Reaching the entrance, she paused a moment, throwing a loving look over her shoulder.

"The pups are asleep. Do you want to go and snuggle for a little while?"

He found himself nodding. Something new... no, something old that was finally unchained was welling within his heart. He smirked.

"Fine. But this time, you actually have to he gentle. Remember the first time this happened and I got bruised?"

She gave a little laugh at the memory, before smiling mischievously.

"I don't think I can make any promises. Still interested?"

There was the space of a heartbeat.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

As she slipped inside and he followed after her, it was a simple reflection that he marveled at not having seen before.

Don't go native?

He had gone native long ago. It just had taken a long time for his mind to catch up with his heart. As the door closed, so to did a past chapter of his life.

And the stars above spun ever onward, bearing witness to a change of heart. Never offering answers, but casting light on the cares of the world.
Last edited by RenFox on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CanadianHero

Re: Fiction: A King's Country

Post by CanadianHero »

I felt that this short story was fairly good. ;)

So King decided to go native and have pups with Bailey, huh? :lol:
Fox: Ah ignore Peanut fighting Bino, you want churro, no? King: Si!

Let's Dance! *falls to floor*
valerio

Post by valerio »

SUPPADDAAWWW!! :D :D :D :D
This sweet ficcie made my day (and in this part of the world it has just started :mrgreen: )
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Wow.

That was really good. I hope to see some more from you in the future, I love to read good writing like this.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

this fic is really good. baileyxking is something thats starting to become common.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, it is canon, after all.

This was a really nice fic! I enjoyed reading it immensely.

Another wonderful fic. hope there is more to come.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Excellent writing.

I hope to see more from you in the future.

Post by 0404 »

I love how conversation rolls, rock on
RenFox

Post by RenFox »

Thank you all for the kind responses!

I admit, I was a little worried that it hadn't come out well, but I'm glad to see that wasn't the case.

BaileyXKing (King and Country?) is a cute paring, but I was disappointed at not seeing anything written about them. So I decided to make my own. I'm still a fan of King of Hearts, but there you go.

I have a plot bunny or two that rewind and fast-forward from the point in time in A King's Country: A King's House and A King's Continent, respectively.

Does that sound interesting?
valerio

Post by valerio »

We are mucho interested! Show us the good stuff :D
RenFox

Post by RenFox »

I have to ask Valerio, where did that cute pic of King and Bailey in your banner come from?

If find it really adorable.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RenFox

Re: Fiction: A King's Journey

Post by RenFox »

Yay, plot bunnies! This takes place before the previous story. Let me know what you think.

-----------------
A King's House
-----------------

King found himself on his front porch, enjoying the calm of a warm summer day. It was peaceful, only punctuated by the occasional loud exclamation from further down the block. Whatever the other dogs were up to, he wanted no part of it.

Leaning back on the steps, with his back flat to the boards, the corgi reflected.

His house.

He really liked the sound of that.

After Pete had vanished, he was taken in by the wolves and had taken care of their cubs. It had been a surreal time for King, coming to grips with his inherent “dogness”, but keeping track of the fact that he would one day be human again. Even if that day didn't seem particularly close.

Eventually the Milton ferrets purchased the griffon's old house, intending to use it for one scheme or another. As often happens in Babylon Gardens, that scheme backfired, which pulled King into the mix. A bit of luck, a good mixture of common sense and ingenuity, and one completely nonsensical adventure later, the corgi found himself in possession of a property.

It had been a year since then. A year filled with the same odd happenings that often befell the Gardens. A year where he traded messages with Bailey, his... girlfriend, he supposed. He blinked at the thought. They had certainly been together for a long time, but he had never let himself think about it like that. The level of comfort with his dog form that exemplified made him nervous about the rest of his behaviors, his mental state.

Still, it wasn't incorrect. He had visited her again this year. The trip was longer this time, since he didn't have to be back at any given date. The corgi felt a smile tug at his mouth. It was a great thing to remember.

Baily had surprised him by being very insightful, which only made him find her more attractive. They had spent their time running around enjoying the fresh air, talking about anything and everything. Those two weeks had helped him in manifold ways, but Bailey had managed to make him feel extraordinarily conflicted.

On his last night at the farm, the two friends (the rest of the farm would say they were a bit closer than that) had sat by the pond, watching the stars as they came out. All had gone well to start. As evening descended, they snuggled close, taking in the depth of the night. Then it had happened. She gave him a brief kiss on the side of his muzzle one instant, then the next she was back to looking over the water.

King had felt his face heat up. Two emotions welled within him: a feeling of love, a desire to reciprocate, and a profound sense of shame. He was a human! Not a dog! He couldn't do this!

But he wanted to. He wanted to be able to care for someone. It didn't matter that she was a dog. What was so attractive about her had nothing to to do with her form (okay, so he was lying to himself, that had plenty to do with it). Bailey was smart, fun to be around, and all in all just what he always would have wanted in a woman.

Looking back, that was where his conflict with himself really kicked into high gear.

His companion had found his bright red blush of embarrassment to be the height of comedy. A very un-Bailey-like laugh found its way out in the aftermath, causing her ears to pink as well.

It was then that King determined he would do just about anything to hear her laugh again.

It even made up for the nickname that she had given him.

His introspection was interrupted by the sound of an engine backfire close by. Vaguely irritated to be forced out of his thoughts, the corgi continued to stare at the ceiling for several more moments. Consequently, he was quite surprised at who was making their way up to the house.

Looking up, he found he could only stare. His heart beat faster. The corgi could feel himself flush a bit. What was it about her?

Maybe it was the slight sway in her hips as she walked. Maybe it was the bright teal eyes that swept over him. Maybe her smell...

What had he been thinking about before? He couldn't remember. His brain seemed to have exploded.

------------

Bailey found herself smiling a little mischievously. Not much, just a turn at the corner. She might be a tomboy, but she was still a girl... and seeing King turning red in the ears was very cute. He brought something out in her that she would otherwise keep hidden.

“You don't have anything to say, Chess? It was a long trip.” She asked him. Using that nickname tended to cause him to blush, and even though he already was, it didn't disappoint. His ears flushed even further, and he looked a little sheepish now. In short, she found him adorable.

“Just didn't expect to see you Bucket.” The corgi responded after a moment.

Bailey quirked an eyebrow at him. The message was clear: “Where did that come from?”

He gave a little shrug and looked off to the side.

“Bailey. Bail. As in throw water out. You use a bucket. Best I could do.”

There was silence for a second, before he turned back to find her staring at him. He briefly wondered if he had offended her, before she started to giggle, then broke out into an all out laugh. He smiled a little. It was wonderful to hear.

“I think you need to work on what nicknames you give out.” Bailey forced through her laugh. “But we've got some time to do that, and to talk.” She said thoughtfully.

“What are you doing here, by the way?”

Bailey, who had walked up onto the porch, stopped and turned her head to look where he was sitting.

“What? A girl can't come and visit her guy? Only you should be able to come and visit me?”

She kept a stern face for a moment, watching King backpedal. It dissolved into a smirk as she walked over to him.

“Not happy to see me?” She said, standing over him.

The corgi recovered quickly. “I am. Just a bit surprised.”

“Glad to hear it.” She barely spoke before pulling him into a hug that nearly lifted him off his paws.

There was a tense moment. Neither let go. She saw something pass over King's face, before he spoke again.

“Since you came all this way, I think I should return something I didn't get the chance to before.”

She tilted her head in confusion. What could he... Then she felt him place a soft kiss on the side of her muzzle. Before she could react, King had slipped from her grip and made his way over to the door. He cocked an eyebrow at her and gave a sure smile, though his ears were still pink.

“Care to be shown around?”

Bailey nodded slowly, aware that her ears had started to show that telltale red as well. She smiled, took his paw, and followed him inside.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Awesome.

You have great talent in writing.

Now I can't wait for A King's Continent, don't take too long please.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
valerio

Post by valerio »

Your ficcie sure goes straight to the heart. :D :D
Wish I were so good at that! 8-)
All HAIL!!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hmm.... I must say, you have a very developed sense of storytelling and writing. It is a pleasure reading such work. I will be following your fic with interest.
My characters
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

You do have excellent writing with great vocab and attention to details. The last two updates were amazing, they have great emotion and depth. You definitely get the readers involved with that drama. I also like the development of King and Bailey's relationship. Keep writing please. :mrgreen:
Yes, I am a furry.
RenFox

Post by RenFox »

Sorry for the wait to anyone who enjoyed this. Real life has a way of sneaking up on me and leaving me for dead. Hope it turns out as well as the previous!

---------------------------
A King's Continent
---------------------------

King was jolted awake by a soft bump and was kept awake by the feeling of motion.

Where were they now?

The corgi waited a moment before opening his eyes just a bit, only to wince and blink for a moment against the afternoon sun.

They seemed to be somewhere in the Midwest. A more precise location eluded him. Granted, endless fields of corn were not the most iconic of landmarks. It all blurred together as it bolted by anyway.

The small dog yawned deeply, sticking his snout off to the side. He was met with a glorious breath of fresh air that whipped through his fur. He tilted back just in time to hear his companions words.

"I take it you're awake now, Chess?"

King looked up and left at the tall form gripping the handle bars beside him.

"Yep. Sorry for dropping off. I didn't mean to leave you without someone to talk to." He resisted the urge to rub at his eyes. Not only was he wearing goggles that would prevent it, but she would tease him endlessly about how cute he looking when he did that waking up.

"Not a worry. You said you didn't sleep so well. I thought you could use the nap."

There was a silence between the two for a moment, before she tore her eyes from the road and cast him a glance.

"You want to talk about it?"

The corgi was about to answer, but paused as he looked up at her. The bright teal in of her eyes seemed to bore into him with care and concern. There wasn't any admonishment there.

But he felt like there should have been. They had been together for years, of course, and he had long ago come to terms with loving her. Yet it bothered him that he was keeping one secret, his greatest secret, from her. He had ignored it for a long time, but every so often it gave him sleepless nights. What could he tell her?

"Not really."

The whole exchange took only a moment, but he caught the look in her eye, the slight twitch of her jaw. He knew her well enough, after several years, to know that this was hurting her. And he hated to be the source of that.

He looked downcast for a moment, then chanced another glance up at her. To his surprise, her set jaw was replaced by a gentle smirk.

"Wanna see something cool, Chess?"

Before King could say anything one way or another, Bailey gunned the engine. Pinned back to his seat, the poor corgi could only watch as the ground seemed to disappear. His eyes grew wide, but any sound we wanted to make was stolen by the sudden absence of gravity.

A heartbeat and half a century later, several wheels crashed back to the roadway. The contact sent a tremor through the side car and motorcycle both. The taller dog struggled for a moment, but pulled it back under control.

King suddenly became aware that he was clutching the sidecar with all the strength he had. He also appeared to be unable to speak beyond a squeak. Loosening his grip was easy enough, but doing the same for his vocal cords proved to be slightly more difficult.

"Er... I.. Ah..."

Bailey eyed him with a confident smile, though her shaky breathing betrayed her recovery.

"What? I catch your tongue? Give you some gray fur?"

A snarky rebuttal proved to be just the thing to un-paralyze the corgi. With a chuckle, he responded:

"You're one to talk! I'm no worse off than you!"

The taller dog made a slightly sour face, taking an exaggerated look down at herself. Responding only a few seconds later.

"I'd have to say your right... but this here is all natural, one hundred percent, farm dog. And you love it." The last words were playfully pointed as she looked over at the corgi. While she spoke, the lady dog made a long motion with one paw, showing off her body.

King's mouth curled into a smile, catching her eyes. They locked onto one another in only the way that long held love can.

"So I do. And I don't think there's anyway I could love you less, mind OR body." He waggled his eyebrows for effect.

Bailey graced him with a small laugh, the kind that was simple, telling him that he had hit the mark just right. If not for her covered ears, he would probably see her blushing. It was something that had come better to him, over time, an ability to be open, to catch her off guard. He found it most enjoyable.

There was a brief moment of electricity between the two, eyes locked tight to each other. Then King's eyes went wide and fearful, the oppisite teal orbs looked confused for a moment, then realization dawned. The both turned to face forward just in time to see the road curve off to their right, and a small pond race up to meet them.

Having slowed significantly from inattention, the bike wedged itself on a rock with a loud bang, nearly throwing Bailey over the handlebars. King, on the other paw, was not so lucky. He was thrown out of the side-car and went head over paw into the drink, accompanied by a strangled yelp.

"King!"

Bailey tore the helmet off of her head and launched herself at the water. She paddled around for only a moment before the corgi surfaced, helmet-less, sputtering. He gave her a look of annoyance.

She ignored it. Instead she swept him into a bone crushing hug.

"I'm sorry! We could have been...!"

She could barely begin before King cut her off.

"Mind not squeezing so hard? I can't breath..." He said with a little strain. As she relaxed, he continued. "And your making it hard for me to be mad at you anyway."

"Oh? And why is that?"

The smaller dog leaned closer, despite the water.

"It's been my little secret... but you smell even better with wet fur." He whispered to her.

The farm dog instantly went beet red and began to stammer a little. King took advantage of the moment to plant a deep kiss on her, before starting back to shore.

Bailey lingered, sure that the water would boil from the heat radiating from her face. She recovered into a sly grin, and whispered to herself:

"Oh... You're a charmer Chess. Let's see if that goes both ways..."

The taller dog made faster strides for the shore, and was there waiting for the corgi on his arrival. And as to what transpired, well, that's for them to know and for you to imagine.
valerio

Post by valerio »

baiiii! This is epicly sweet and funny. *wriggels* you know how to make us feel all cozy and fluffy inside, Sir. Bravissimo!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Very nice line. King is smooth~

Also Daww! A wonderfully sweet new installment on a great fanfic.
My characters