Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Penwrite »

The guy who directed Elite Squad is handling the Robocop reboot. :) This is just awesome!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

"Reboot". When the word "remake" is completely played out.

Someone posted A*P*E !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQQJ1zCc_I

This movie is so bad that it is just awesome!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

not exactly. a Reboot is more for when there's been a series of a works and they decide remake the first one, changing it enough so that sequels to the new movie will be even more different from the sequels of the original. It's like completely resetting the universe in which the original works existed. A remake is usually the same as the original but with different actors and sometimes a different setting or something.

at least that's how I see it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That's not quite how a reboot works, but it's close. A remake is redoing a movie, mostly the same, though perhaps with minor changes done, such as raising or lowering the rating or changing the message. A reboot meanwhile is more like starting from scratch. Take Nolan's Batman Begins. That movie starts the Batman series fresh. You can't say it's "remaking" Burton's Batman movie.

So really, reboots are inherently preferable to simple remakes, as at least the makers are trying to do something fresh or take it in a new direction.

And in other news, I have a new favorite horror movie in The Cabin in the Woods.
Liam

Post by Liam »

"Reboot" - when studio execs have grown so conservative through greed that they don't want to risk any money on new material and ideas, instead greenlight stuff that has made money before and just throw more CGI at it.
Penwrite wrote:So really, reboots are inherently preferable to simple remakes, as at least the makers are trying to do something fresh or take it in a new direction.
Not really. Remakes can deviate from a 1-to-1 implementation (so you end up with horribly butchered endings/themes/messages), but mostly the makers have some sort of guideline with the original from which they can lift elements that made it good.

With reboots they're more likely to write themselves into a corner in the middle of the film - and then they have to go from there in the sequels.

While it's possible these new films turn out good (Begins, Star Trek), this is more the exception than the rule, seeing as Hollywood's whole output in general lacks in characterization, plot and pacing today because they invest only in CG, splosions and big name actors.

This makes for pretty bland, forgettable flicks (see the Total Recall remake).

If I think about it, you could call all remakes that bombed at the box office failed reboots.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Radio Blue Heart

Liam wrote:"Reboot" - when studio execs have grown so conservative through greed that they don't want to risk any money on new material and ideas, instead greenlight stuff that has made money before and just throw more CGI at it.
Penwrite wrote:So really, reboots are inherently preferable to simple remakes, as at least the makers are trying to do something fresh or take it in a new direction.
Not really. Remakes can deviate from a 1-to-1 implementation (so you end up with horribly butchered endings/themes/messages), but mostly the makers have some sort of guideline with the original from which they can lift elements that made it good.

With reboots they're more likely to write themselves into a corner in the middle of the film - and then they have to go from there in the sequels.

While it's possible these new films turn out good (Begins, Star Trek), this is more the exception than the rule, seeing as Hollywood's whole output in general lacks in characterization, plot and pacing today because they invest only in CG, splosions and big name actors.

This makes for pretty bland, forgettable flicks (see the Total Recall remake).

If I think about it, you could call all remakes that bombed at the box office failed reboots.
Exactly. They take a independently produced film from a few decades ago, when they would have never given the original creators the time of day, and then water it down to make it as lowest common denominator as possible to appeal to a mass audience. That way they do not have to pay new talented creators to come up with story ideas and can use their existing depleted talent pool to simply regurgitate old stories and concepts.

In regards to the Batman films, they are adaptation of another medium. When reading a novel or a comic, everyone has a different idea of what it would look like transferred to film.

But as far as I am concerned with "remakes", or "reboots" if you prefer, they were an original work of cinema. They are an original work of art. You don't "remake" or "reboot" the Mona Lisa.

A lot of films are adaptations of novels and short stories that can be reinterpreted by different visual story tellers. That is why I will forgive films like "The Thing" and "The Fly".

One would think that at this point they would try to snatch up the rights to every novel and comic they could get their hands on at this point.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The sad thing is, remakes are not a naturally bad thing. They COULD be a useful Hollywood tool, if they were only done on films that failed for one reason or another, but could have been good. Like, say, if a movies ideas were too ambitious for the technology of the time, or had just been handled by an incompetent director.

But anyways, anyone else seen The Cabin in the Woods?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:The sad thing is, remakes are not a naturally bad thing. They COULD be a useful Hollywood tool, if they were only done on films that failed for one reason or another, but could have been good. Like, say, if a movies ideas were too ambitious for the technology of the time, or had just been handled by an incompetent director.

But anyways, anyone else seen The Cabin in the Woods?

Have not seen it yet but everyone I know who has seen it says it is amazing.

True. But, you also run the risk of becoming as low and despicable as George Lucas. I suppose if you took a bad movie and use the remake as a chance to fix everything that went wrong. I just wish that Sony would not want us to pretend that "Spider-Man 3", as traumatic as it was, did not happen.

But, more often than not, they simply turning a classic films into a "One Week Wonders".
-Virgil
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

There's another film what I have forgot. It calls The Well Loved.

Here's a movie scene. Take a look, is kinda funny:

The Well Loved - Jenipapation Party With English Subtitle
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just watched Creepshow. I wouldn't call it one of my favorite movies, but darn was it a ton of fun.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Creep show was really dumb, dumb in a fun way, but still a pretty awful movie.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:Creep show was really dumb, dumb in a fun way, but still a pretty awful movie.
No, I wouldn't call it dumb. George Romero and Stephen King made it in a very specific way, as a tribute/love letter to the old EC horror comics they both read while growing up. Gory, freaky, and over the top, with incredibly terrible dialogue; that's what the comics were like, so that's what the movie was like, and I've got to respect those guys for sticking to it.

Besides, you've gotta love watching Stephen King play a country bumpkin getting consumed by space moss. XD
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Just watched Creepshow. I wouldn't call it one of my favorite movies, but darn was it a ton of fun.
Congratulations! That movie is awesome! Which one of the stories is your favorite?

Also, "Creepshow 2" is really good too! It has more animation between each story! Romero did not direct it, but he wrote the screenplay adapting 3 King stories.

But avoid "Creepshow 3" like the plague! It is horrible!!!

I disagree, Seth. The point of the film was that it was a horror/comedy. It was supposed to have funny bits as well as the scary ones. It is one of the few films that succeeded on both counts.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Just watched Creepshow. I wouldn't call it one of my favorite movies, but darn was it a ton of fun.
Congratulations! That movie is awesome! Which one of the stories is your favorite?

Also, "Creepshow 2" is really good too! It has more animation between each story! Romero did not direct it, but he wrote the screenplay adapting 3 King stories.

I disagree, Seth. The point of the film was that it was a horror/comedy. It was supposed to have funny bits as well as the scary ones. It is one of the few films that succeeded on both counts.
Oh wow, I hadn't even known there was a Creepshow 3. As for my favorite Creepshow story, I'm pretty certain it's "The Crate". Just awesome.

Also, did you know that the kid in the opening and closing segments of the film was played by Stephen King's son?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

Oh wow, I hadn't even known there was a Creepshow 3. As for my favorite Creepshow story, I'm pretty certain it's "The Crate". Just awesome.

Also, did you know that the kid in the opening and closing segments of the film was played by Stephen King's son?

Yeah, his kid did a good job at being creepy!

"Creepshow 3" was released direct to video in 2006 from a company that is notorious for making terrible, belated sequels to classic horror films. One of the stories is a rehash of a story from "Creepshow 2". It has nothing whatsoever with King or Romero.

Its a tough choice for me. "The Crate" definitely had some of the funniest bits, but I don't know too many people who can sit through "They're Creeping Up On You"!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:
Seth wrote:Creep show was really dumb, dumb in a fun way, but still a pretty awful movie.
No, I wouldn't call it dumb. George Romero and Stephen King made it in a very specific way, as a tribute/love letter to the old EC horror comics they both read while growing up. Gory, freaky, and over the top, with incredibly terrible dialogue; that's what the comics were like, so that's what the movie was like, and I've got to respect those guys for sticking to it.

Besides, you've gotta love watching Stephen King play a country bumpkin getting consumed by space moss. XD
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it. But I enjoyed it becasue it was so ridiculous and over the top.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Then you enjoyed it for the right reasons. *nod nod nod*

So anyways, next Bond movie comes out this October. Craig says they'll be going into the personal demons of Bond in this one. Makes sense to me. Apparently in the later novels, the character was suffering because of his job.
Radio Blue Heart

If you liked "Creepshow", here are some other films that seamlessly combine horror and comedy, thus working on both levels.

Re-Animator
Return of the Living Dead
Basket Case
Blood Feast
Street Trash
The Toxic Avenger
Class of Nuke 'em High
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Army of Darkness (and Evil Dead 2)

But if you want more anthology films, try:

Trick 'r Treat
Tales That Witness Madness
Tales From The Crypt (1972)
The House That Dripped Blood
Asylum
From A Whisper To A Scream
The Monster Club
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie ( the closest thing that will ever be to a real "Creepshow 3")
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Actually, funny thing about that; according to some research I've done, Tales From the Darkside the show was originally conceived as a Creepshow television series. So in a way, the Tales From the Darkside movie really is a Creepshow 3.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote: Return of the Living Dead
best movie ever made
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
best movie ever made
"Send more paramedics!"
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:
best movie ever made
"Send more paramedics!"
Definitely the best zombie movie ever made, with a pretty good soundtrack. Can't beat it man.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

I would debate you on it being best ever, but I agree wholeheartedly that it does have an awesome soundtrack album. I used to have a copy of it.

"Return" is a rarity in that it is a good horror movie with a good soundtrack. Usually it is bland, mediocre or terrible horror films that have a good soundtrack, while good horror movies tend to have no soundtrack or a bad one.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I've never actually seen Return of the Living Dead. Need to get on that sometime.

I definitely agree about horror movie soundtracks, though. I could probably name all the good soundtracks to good horror movies on one hand. Let's see...John Carpenter's Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, John Carpenter's The Thing...oh! The Woman in Black!
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I've never actually seen Return of the Living Dead. Need to get on that sometime.

I definitely agree about horror movie soundtracks, though. I could probably name all the good soundtracks to good horror movies on one hand. Let's see...John Carpenter's Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, John Carpenter's The Thing...oh! The Woman in Black!
I was meaning more the popular music soundtrack albums rather than the scores. But I agree with you, those scores are awesome!

If you like John Carpenter's music for his films, check out "Assault on Precinct 13" and "Escape From New York".

Some of the bad movies with good soundtracks are "Dracula 2000", "Bride of Chucky", and "Stangeland". They were crappy movies but they had music by Slayer, Pantera, Motorhead and a bunch of other awesome metal bands.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I would debate you on it being best ever, but I agree wholeheartedly that it does have an awesome soundtrack album. I used to have a copy of it.

"Return" is a rarity in that it is a good horror movie with a good soundtrack. Usually it is bland, mediocre or terrible horror films that have a good soundtrack, while good horror movies tend to have no soundtrack or a bad one.
well what is your favorite zombie movie?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I would debate you on it being best ever, but I agree wholeheartedly that it does have an awesome soundtrack album. I used to have a copy of it.

That's a tough one, I don't think that i could pick just one. If I had to go by the ones I have seen the most, it would have to be "Zombie" or "The Beyond". They are good, check 'em out.

What do you think of the sequels to "Return"? Personally I think Part 3 is the only good one. The second one I could do without and 4 & 5 are horrible!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:

That's a tough one, I don't think that i could pick just one. If I had to go by the ones I have seen the most, it would have to be "Zombie" or "The Beyond". They are good, check 'em out.

What do you think of the sequels to "Return"? Personally I think Part 3 is the only good one. The second one I could do without and 4 & 5 are horrible!
never seen any of the sequels sorry.
I'll see if I can scare up a copy of those other 2 flicks some day (you know the pun is intended)
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I have a feeling that this is going to become one of my favorite movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8evyE9TuYk
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

One movie made me bemused.

it calls The Blob.

What a crazy and awkward movie.

See a spoiler video by a vlog group calls NerdOffice:

NerdOffice - Classic Spoiler Zone

P.s: click CC to turn on the English Subtitles.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Mctwisp wrote:One movie made me bemused.

it calls The Blob.

What a crazy and awkward movie.

See a spoiler video by a vlog group calls NerdOffice:

NerdOffice - Classic Spoiler Zone

P.s: click CC to turn on the English Subtitles.
I can't tell if you know or not from your post, but the Blob you're referencing is actually a remake of a 50s (or 60s, can't remember) horror movie. And actually, in all honesty, I think the 80s Blob is one of the better remakes out there. It takes the original concept, ups the horror and sci-fi factor, throws in some brilliantly gory effects, and takes the original premise in a few interesting directions.

Hm, I think I might have to watch that movie again sometime...
Radio Blue Heart

Just got through singing this film's praises in the "My Little Pony" thread. To show you how much of a nerd for this movie, I read the novelization for it. "Escape From New York".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mapn1DY4zgE

In the not too distant future, the US is bogged down in a three-way war with China and Russia. No nuclear weapons are used, only conventional and chemical weapons. This war causing the economy to collapse and the crime rate to go up 400%. The island of Manhattan, destroyed by a fire bombing/gas attack, has been turned into a walled maximum security prison. Once given a life sentence, you go in and you don't come out.

The President's plane is high jacked and crashed into the prison. He is carrying vital information that could end the war and save the human race. The way to get to him is to send in a former special forces war hero turned thief, Snake Plisken, to bring him out in 24 hours.
-Virgil
valerio

Post by valerio »

just watched PORCO ROSSO
Myazaki ROCKS! :D :D :D :D :D

Also, watched 'Vampires Suck'
Defintiely BETTER than Twilight :lol:
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

valerio wrote:just watched PORCO ROSSO
Myazaki ROCKS! :D :D :D :D :D

Also, watched 'Vampires Suck'
Defintiely BETTER than Twilight :lol:
I own Porco Rosso on DVD. And yes Miyazaki rocks.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Just watched Apocalypse Now
I think my brain exploded, just an incredible movie.
It also inspired me to re-read heart of darkness sometime this summer
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, last night I watched Stanley Kubrick's The Killing. Pretty darn good heist film, if I do say so myself.
Radio Blue Heart

I had a "I can't believe I have not seen this movie yet" moment this week. I finally watched "The Crow" and it ROCKED! That is such a good movie! I had seen another one of Alex Proyas' called "Dark City" before and it was awesome too. I tracked down a copy of the soundtrack and the original graphic novel. I think I have found a new obsession. I love its mix of gothic romance and action. It is easily one of my favorite comic book adaptations.

Also, this weekend a friend and I went to go see "The Avengers" and it was really good. It did not fail to entertain and surpassed my expectations for it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I think it will be awesome since they set up Thanos as the next villain.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I had a "I can't believe I have not seen this movie yet" moment this week. I finally watched "The Crow" and it ROCKED! That is such a good movie! I had seen another one of Alex Proyas' called "Dark City" before and it was awesome too. I tracked down a copy of the soundtrack and the original graphic novel. I think I have found a new obsession. I love its mix of gothic romance and action. It is easily one of my favorite comic book adaptations.

Also, this weekend a friend and I went to go see "The Avengers" and it was really good. It did not fail to entertain and surpassed my expectations for it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I think it will be awesome since they set up Thanos as the next villain.
I've been meaning to see The Crow for ages now. Should really get around to it. Same with Dark City.

Also, I've seen The Avengers three times now! XD
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I had a "I can't believe I have not seen this movie yet" moment this week. I finally watched "The Crow" and it ROCKED! That is such a good movie! I had seen another one of Alex Proyas' called "Dark City" before and it was awesome too. I tracked down a copy of the soundtrack and the original graphic novel. I think I have found a new obsession. I love its mix of gothic romance and action. It is easily one of my favorite comic book adaptations.

I've been meaning to see The Crow for ages now. Should really get around to it. Same with Dark City.

Also, I've seen The Avengers three times now! XD
It was my first time and it was my friends third!I could see why she wanted to keep coming back!

"The Crow" is an excellent film if you get the chance to see it. I found a copy for $5 at a Wal-Mart. "Dark City is another film worth tracking down. They are both breathtaking.

Seth, from the "Comics" thread, if you like films that combine zombies and World War II, then try these movies:
Dead Snow
Shock Waves
Outpost
Oasis of the Zombies
Zombie Lake

The last two films are very cheesy but very fun in their own right. But for zombies in other conflicts, try:
Exit Humanity
The Supernaturals (1986)
Deathwatch
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just finished watching Kung Fu Panda 2 for the first time since it came out in theaters. That was a great movie. ^_^