My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm also going to agree with Sleet and Radio Blue Heart here, she wasn't being possessive just angry that her brother didn't tell her He was getting married (which would have been how I would have reacted if I was in her shoes) and the way Cadance was acting. (though her reaction to Cadance while right, was less reasonable considering how Brides act a lot of the time) She was only ever accused of being possessive.
JeffCvt wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:would you really rather them use the Elements for a Third time in a row to beat the bad guy?
Strangley enough, that is exactly what I thought when they went to go get the elements. I was thinking "Oh, come on. Not that again."

And I am glad they used something other than the elements to defeat the bad guy, but I was dissapointed how quick it happened.
There was no build up for it in my opinion. I wasn't saying I disliked the power of love, it just seemed to come out of no where.
Ok while I agree the end may have been a bit quick they did build it up and it didn't really come out of no where. I mean look at the power boost Shining Armors Love gave Chrysalis and they established in the first part that Cadances power was amping the feelings of Love (or something along that line anyway) when she used it on that couple in the Flashback with Filly Twilight.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:She was excited he was marrying Cadence. The possessive thing is just what her friends thought she was, and what fake Cadence accused her of.
I suppose you're right, although I still would've liked to see it happen. It would've given Twilight more to do than be right.

Really I think my main problem (which encompasses the possessive thing) is that most of the interesting conflict between Twilight, her brother, and Cadence that was teased turned out to be based on misunderstanding the situation- Shining Armor couldn't write to Twilight because he was busy, and Cadence and Twilight don't get along because that's not actually Cadence. It didn't ruin the episode, but I do think they wasted a few perfectly good plots.

Don't go thinking I hated this episode because I'm only listing my complaints, now. It was good, just not as good as it seems like it could've been.
Image Image
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I don't think anyone would really disagree that the episodes (the latter one especially) were more than a little bit rushed.

But in all honesty, I feel that that was the only real problem they had. The deal with Twilight's 'possessiveness' has already been covered, and the apparent 'lack of focus' on the other Mane 6 isn't really any different than the other 2-parters.

With the S1 opener, the focus was on Twilight right from the start, only shifting periodically to the others for them to briefly demonstrate their element. With the S2 opener, it was the same way, except they all basically became antagonists for a time. And in this one, they didn't fall back on defeating the bad guy with the elements, so that portion of their usefulness to the plot simply wasn't there. Nothing else really changed, though. And personally I'd say that breaking away from having them use the elements was more than worth the shift of focus to Twilight. I'm also biased because Twilight is best pony, so my opinion probably doesn't count.

Also, Pea, "don't reject new members of your family" isn't really applicable at all because no one in the episode was actually doing that. Like the 'possessiveness', that was just what the fake Cadence was trying to pin on Twilight to turn all the others against her.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

KJOokami wrote:Also, Pea, "don't reject new members of your family" isn't really applicable at all because no one in the episode was actually doing that. Like the 'possessiveness', that was just what the fake Cadence was trying to pin on Twilight to turn all the others against her.
For clarification, by applicable I meant applicable to a kid who's watching the show's life, not to the episode. No question that if they ended the episode (the actual one, not the hypothetical one I'm saying would've been better) by saying "and that's why you should be open to new family members" it would've been pretty dumb.
Image Image
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

KJOokami wrote:I'm also biased because Twilight is best pony
That is something I don't get.

I can understand that everyone has there favorite pony, but why does no one seem to like Rarity?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i like all the ponies
i even like flim and flam
imo there are no bad ponies
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JeffCvt wrote:

I can understand that everyone has there favorite pony, but why does no one seem to like Rarity?
Lots of people like Rarity shes not my favorite but I like her. (though I like all of the mane 6 just about equally)
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I seem to remember a lot of people placeing her on the bottom of their list here when asked what which of the 6 main ponies they like.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I could go back and look for the rant I posted about her a while back if you'd like.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Uh, sure I guess.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it's just the other five being very good characters. Additionally, she and Fluttershy are the girliest characters, so the male fans can't relate as much. Fluttershy, however, is super-adorable.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Okay, the conversation starts here. I go through a couple of back-and-forths with a couple people over the next page or so. That should give you a pretty good idea of why I dislike her character.

If you'd rather a tl;dr, one of the things I said in that span of posts was something like, "Her primary role seems to be being whiny, complaining, and manipulating Spike to do things for her, rather than actually being "the generous one" of the group." And that's a pretty accurate depiction of my feelings.

I just don't think she represents her element well at all. She still has her moments, and I don't go out of my way to hate on everything she does in episodes, but she's still my go-to pick for least favorite pony. A massive part of me wants her character to become for FiM what Galinda was for Wicked, because that'd make her a ton more likable to me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:I'm also going to agree with Sleet and Radio Blue Heart here, she wasn't being possessive just angry that her brother didn't tell her He was getting married (which would have been how I would have reacted if I was in her shoes) and the way Cadance was acting. (though her reaction to Cadance while right, was less reasonable considering how Brides act a lot of the time) She was only ever accused of being possessive.
with this, I'll repeat a point I made earlier. While the way she acted with the dresses was understandable for a bride (and indeed pretty much exactly how the rest of the mane 6 acted at first when Rarity was making their dresses for the gala), She lied about liking what Applejack had made. What real bride would tell the caterers at their wedding that they liked something when they didn't. they would go crazy and demand something better.
JeffCvt wrote:

I don't like her because she's a diva. Doesn't like getting dirty, she cares about fashion over most things, she often needs things her way or it is the worst. possible. thing, and she's fairly selfish a lot of the time.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Its official. According to the MLP Wiki, Princess Cadence is voiced by Britt McKillip.

Personally, I like Rarity. I don't really rank the ponies and there are none that I hate. The only ones that I have an aversion to are Snips and Snails because they are so weird looking.

Rarity is a great pony. As the avatar of generosity, she has to wrestle with her own desires and her duty to her friends and her element. I also think that her tendency toward pompousness makes her a good comic foil. A lot of comedy bits come from having her over inflated self importance popped. One of my favorite bits was from "The Last Round Up" with Pinkie expecting Rarity to catch her. She also had her own shining moment in the episode where she confounded and frustrated the Diamond Dogs.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Radio Blue Heart wrote:She also had her own shining moment in the episode where she confounded and frustrated the Diamond Dogs.
By annoying them only a little more than she annoys me.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:She also had her own shining moment in the episode where she confounded and frustrated the Diamond Dogs.
By annoying them only a little more than she annoys me.

But you have to admit that it is funny when bad stuff happens to her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poXuQpMs3t0

Besides, I find it hard to dislike her after seeing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEWluFtfwg
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

All that I have ever seen in Rarity are minor flaws, just like all of the other ponies have.

No major personality problems, just some things that she needs to work on.
We all have them.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

JeffCvt wrote:All that I have ever seen in Rarity are minor flaws, just like all of the other ponies have.

We all have them.
Agreed!
-Virgil
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

maybe it's just me, but rarity escaping the diamond dogs by annoying them isn't necessarily a bad thing
what else was she going to do?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Turn into a ninja?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE
i think after seeing this, we don't have to worry about the show ending
the fans can produce enough amazing material as it is
Radio Blue Heart

mariomarc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE
I watched that and I laughed so hard! Those guys are brilliant! The voice cast and animation is perfect!

Then I watched this video from the same people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-_HeVNYOk

And I got a little choked up.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

JeffCvt wrote:All that I have ever seen in Rarity are minor flaws, just like all of the other ponies have.

We all have them.
Yeah, I know, it's just that the minor flaws she has happen to annoy me more than the minor flaws of the others. I don't hater her, I just don't like her.
mariomarc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE
I think VS's voice could have been a bit less deep, but pretty good.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Then I watched this video from the same people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-_HeVNYOk

And I got a little choked up.
they only did the animation, the voice is from BaldDumboRat.
apparently, other than the voice, that wasn't acting. She was actually crying while recording that.

funny comic

hey look
similar

Chrysalis was voiced by Kathleen Barr
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

OH MY GOSH! Guys, I just realized something! Shining Armor and Cadance defeating Queen Chrysalis with the power of love DIDN'T come out of nowhere! Love's power was hinted at all the way back in Hearth's Warming Eve, when the non-hate defeated the Windigos! :O And even further back, Cadance's power was hinted at by Twilight's use of the Want-it, Need-it spell!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:Love's power was hinted at all the way back in Hearth's Warming Eve, when the non-hate defeated the Windigos!
but that was friendship, not love.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i think cadance's power is pretty different from the "want it, need it spell"
that spell caused people to have dangerous obsessions with something
cadance's spell just gets people to stop fighting
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well Brent, most philosophers who have touched on the subject throughout history have categorized friendship as a type of love. And even if you don't accept that, it was still shone that something other than the Elements of Harmony can be used to vanquish evil.

And mariomarc, good point, they are different like that. But still, it showed that there are ways to affect emotions with magic.

Also, I now believe that all those ponies that were mean to Fluttershy in that one episode were really changelings in disguise. *nods*
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:Well Brent, most philosophers who have touched on the subject throughout history have categorized friendship as a type of love. And even if you don't accept that, it was still shone that something other than the Elements of Harmony can be used to vanquish evil.
yes, but it's quite different from the type of love that defeated Chrysalis. It's like how people from the U.S.A are different from people in Brazil, though technically their both Americans, no one calls people from South America that so American is taken to mean U.S.A. while Love is taken to mean the romantic kind.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

IceKitsune wrote:I'm also going to agree with Sleet and Radio Blue Heart here, she wasn't being possessive just angry that her brother didn't tell her He was getting married (which would have been how I would have reacted if I was in her shoes) and the way Cadance was acting. (though her reaction to Cadance while right, was less reasonable considering how Brides act a lot of the time) She was only ever accused of being possessive.
with this, I'll repeat a point I made earlier. While the way she acted with the dresses was understandable for a bride (and indeed pretty much exactly how the rest of the mane 6 acted at first when Rarity was making their dresses for the gala), She lied about liking what Applejack had made. What real bride would tell the caterers at their wedding that they liked something when they didn't. they would go crazy and demand something better.
Ok I see the point about Applejacks food but IIRC that's the only one she did that with everyone else she directly and openly criticized, in every other way she acted like every other real life bride I've heard about. So still Twilights reaction to her while correct in the end was still a bit of over reaction in reality.

We all have them.
I agree with this as well none of them are meant to represent their element perfectly. I think the whole, kind of unspoken point in the show, is that they don't and will always have to work on it.

Edit: Also Vinyl having a Bass Cannon is now canon in my head! :D that was amazing.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

so just a thought
are the changelings a type of pony, or a completely different creature?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

mariomarc wrote:so just a thought
Just a though taken directly from EQD's nightly roundup XP

I'd say they're a different creature.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just a though taken directly from EQD's nightly roundup XP

I'd say they're a different creature.
Wasn't it said in the episode that they were basically mutant Unicorns? Because I swear Chrysalis said they came from the caves where they tried to harness some gems because they were greedy. Unless she was talking about something else and I'm just confusing things.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

That does not sound like anything I heard her say. I'm pretty sure that story had nothing to do with them.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

hmmm Yeah I guess its likely that story had nothing to do with the Changelings.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Although it does give a terrifying possibility for those Gen1 ponies who had crystals IN their eyes...
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Although it does give a terrifying possibility for those Gen1 ponies who had crystals IN their eyes...
That and maybe the changelings are a reference (or a stab at) the G1 flutter ponies, with their insectiod features.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Although it does give a terrifying possibility for those Gen1 ponies who had crystals IN their eyes...
That and maybe the changelings are a reference (or a stab at) the G1 flutter ponies, with their insectiod features.
Ya know, that's what I was thinking. Stupid flutterponies, being more powerful than the Rai-...OH!

:o

In the 80s theatrical My Little Pony movie, the Rainbow of Light couldn't defeat the Smooze, and the ponies had to get help from the flutter ponies. And here, the flutter pony-like changelings kept the mane 6 from getting to the Elements of Harmony, which summons the Rainbow of Light! :ugeek:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think they're their own creature. Just like fantasy settings having a ton of different anthropomorphic races. Pony-shape is just the default in this setting I think.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Isn't it obvious? The changelings metamorphosed from parasprites.

And to touch back on the "why I dislike Rarity" topic: the reason I dislike her for her flaws above the others is because her flaws openly defy what her element is supposed to represent. And what's more, those flaws (which contradict her element) still haven't been addressed. My primary concern is how she often takes advantage of Spike, using his infatuation with her to get him to do things for her. So until I see an episode where she admits to doing so, apologizes to Spike, and then just stops doing it, I'll never be able to get myself to like her character. I just can't.

As I don't imagine they'd have let it go this long if they had any intention of making such a thing happen, I doubt I'll ever actually like her on the same level as the other characters.

Edit: This helps though.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Well Brent, most philosophers who have touched on the subject throughout history have categorized friendship as a type of love. And even if you don't accept that, it was still shone that something other than the Elements of Harmony can be used to vanquish evil.

And mariomarc, good point, they are different like that. But still, it showed that there are ways to affect emotions with magic.

Also, I now believe that all those ponies that were mean to Fluttershy in that one episode were really changelings in disguise. *nods*
I agree with you on that, Penwrite. Friendship, true friendship, is like the love one feels for a sibling. Romantic love is love taken to it farthest extreme. If you read Plato, you can love someone very intensely without it being romantic. Here are some quotes on love and friendship from some great minds of the Greek and Roman worlds that I think help back your claim. They are also worth meditating on.

"A friend is, as it were, a second self."
-Cicero

"The half of my soul."
-Horace

"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies"
-Aristotle

"Love has the greatest power, and is the source of all our happiness and harmony, and makes us friends with the gods who are above us, and with one another."
-Plato

"Love conquers all things. Let us too surrender to love."
-Virgil
-Virgil