Reply to topic  [ 6019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 151  Next
Art Thread 

Post Re: Art Thread
So I decided to try a different style.

That's what happened. o _o...

Image Image

Last edited by NickCole on Mon May 07, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 pm
laughing maniacally

It's alright, but I liked your old style better.

I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 pm
Profile YIM

Cubes. Origami Cubes.

Ps. The picture came out terribly, lets just say that I planned it like that and call me a great photographer.
Pss. It looks like a fish.
Psss. I know that it's supposed to be Pps. and Ppps. but I like my way because it looks like I'm saying pssss

Attachments:
Photo Apr 17, 7 54 37 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 17, 7 54 37 PM.jpg [ 125.78 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:56 pm
Juicy Wolf-Cat

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:

... you do realize that's an outright insult to his current piece of art, yes? Or a backhanded compliment at the least.

Offer some constructive criticism. Why don't you like this as much? Is there something you think he could improve? Any other experiments he can try? All you're doing right now is serving to deflate his motivation to try new things. Trying new things is very, very important for artists to improve and to stay motivated- to not get bored with their work.

Same even goes for if you DO like a piece, mind. Say what you like, what you notice, where you think the effort was put, and what you think could be improved.

At the very least, a comment on a piece can be for humor, or to create a discussion.

But that comment? Please tell me, what does your comment add AT ALL? I'm sorry to go off on a rant like that, but this just irked me.

Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:24 pm
laughing maniacally

Buckdida wrote:

... you do realize that's an outright insult to his current piece of art, yes? Or a backhanded compliment at the least.

Offer some constructive criticism. Why don't you like this as much? Is there something you think he could improve? Any other experiments he can try? All you're doing right now is serving to deflate his motivation to try new things. Trying new things is very, very important for artists to improve and to stay motivated- to not get bored with their work.

Same even goes for if you DO like a piece, mind. Say what you like, what you notice, where you think the effort was put, and what you think could be improved.

At the very least, a comment on a piece can be for humor, or to create a discussion.

But that comment? Please tell me, what does your comment add AT ALL? I'm sorry to go off on a rant like that, but this just irked me.

I'm sorry if he takes it that way, It was not my intention. As I said, it's alright. It's actually pretty good, about on the same level as his other pieces. It's just a matter of taste that I preferred his old style, nothing specific. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Yes it can be improved, but so can his older works because there's always room for improvement. I don't have an artistic enough eye to discern exactly what I like about his old style or exactly where he can improve. If I could, I definitely would. My mom's an artist, and I know to tell her exactly where she could improve or if I don't think it's up to her standards.
This was fully up to Nick's standards, I just happen to prefer the old style.

RP character sheets

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile YIM
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Buckdida wrote:

I'm sorry if he takes it that way, It was not my intention. As I said, it's alright. It's actually pretty good, about on the same level as his other pieces. It's just a matter of taste that I preferred his old style, nothing specific. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Yes it can be improved, but so can his older works because there's always room for improvement. I don't have an artistic enough eye to discern exactly what I like about his old style or exactly where he can improve. If I could, I definitely would. My mom's an artist, and I know to tell her exactly where she could improve or if I don't think it's up to her standards.
This was fully up to Nick's standards, I just happen to prefer the old style.

Soooo... did your comment add anything? You failed to answer that. You also failed at first to say *why* you preferred his old style. If you like it because it's a matter of taste, then say that. Otherwise, the artist is left thinking, "Huh, well, why?" Intentions or no, your comment was at the very least, still a backhanded compliment.

For a bit of opinion in response to yours, I feel that artists use feedback mainly for future drawings, not as much to refine ones that they've already finished. Occasionally artists "redux" old pieces to see how they've improved. Revisions happen occasionally, but I think that's usually more for commission works where the costumer requests something, or pieces where the artist forget something and want to quickly add it in- or, of course, revising during the sketch stage (okay, maybe revisions do happen often. Just not as often on finished works). I also feel you don't need an "artistic eye" to be able to say "I like x because y" or "I dislike a because b." I'd like to think every bit helps, even if it's simple observations!

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:16 pm

On the topic of Nick's New Art Style, I guess I as well fall under the category of liking his old one more. I guess it may be because I enjoy art that looks nice with a lack of much detail. I also can not really give a suggestion because art is just something people's opinions guide the worth of.

This is not meant to dis-motivate you or anything, just the opinion I hold. ^^;

(Aqua's drawing of Flint!)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm
laughing maniacally

Yeah, I know my comment could have been much more constructive, but at least I didn't say "it sucks" without explaining myself. I said "It's not bad" without explaining myself.

also, is this a finished work? it still has those red sketch lines. and who knows, maybe those are throwing off my sense of how good it is. Maybe I'd like it more without those. His other style looks goof even when he leaves in the red lines, maybe this style just doesn't work right when they're left in.

actually, looking at it again, squinting to the point where the red lines disappear, it does look better. i still prefer the old style as a matter of taste, but this is good.

RP character sheets

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:31 pm
Profile YIM
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Yeah, I know my comment could have been much more constructive, but at least I didn't say "it sucks" without explaining myself. I said "It's not bad" without explaining myself.

also, is this a finished work? it still has those red sketch lines. and who knows, maybe those are throwing off my sense of how good it is. Maybe I'd like it more without those. His other style looks goof even when he leaves in the red lines, maybe this style just doesn't work right when they're left in.

actually, looking at it again, squinting to the point where the red lines disappear, it does look better. i still prefer the old style as a matter of taste, but this is good.

A comment that's better than "really bad" can still be "bad," which makes it little better. And it was still a backhanded compliment, which is less than favorable, even if you didn't mean it. You should keep that in mind before saying something, next time. Be more clear, at the least.

Aaaaanyway. Nick! I like the new style and experiment. It's good to see a compromise between the old style that's yours and trying out new styles. It makes it look like yours while trying out new things. It's interesting to see how you added in a rounder head style while still keeping some of the boxey style we're used to seeing (seen in the glasses, eyes, chin and clothing). It's a good compromise, and I'd love to see more practice of it.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 pm

what
how is that at all backhanded

He clearly said
"This is good, but here is why I don't like it, and it would be better if you did this"
That's plenty constructive I just don't

how

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
laughing maniacally

he was still referring to the initial comment I think.

RP character sheets

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Profile YIM

Right, this one

You said
1) you didn't like this one
2) what he can do to make it better (be more like his old style)
and as a bonus, 3) you said that you still like this one, it's just not as good as you know he can be, in your opinion

That criticism is entirely constructive.
I really just don't see what Buck's issue is.

It could have been more constructive, but it's nothing to get up about

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The point is Nick is trying to go with a new style, not like his old one, so he does not want to have it more like the old one. I don't think Brent meant what you have for your 1st and 2nd point.

However, I do not know why what he said is bad. He voiced his opinion, and not all things written about art needs to be constructive. Just say what you feel.

(Aqua's drawing of Flint!)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Guys.... I don't feel offended or discouraged in any way from Brent's comment at all. He just seems to have more appeal to my main style, t'is all. And I see Flint prefers my old style as well. Plus, it's not like I'm gonna move to a new style permanently. My aim is to get as many styles and be flexible as possible. Hence why I want to get 'rid' of my old style 'cause I'm too attached to it. And probably something I really enjoy with.

Other than that, I appreciate the comments and thoughts about it at least~ I honestly didn't think this would happen though.. = A=.. Also, Brent's comment was just preference. Sure, it doesn't help me how to improve but it helps me know what people enjoy seeing from me.

Image Image

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 am

wow I haven't been on here in like forever! o.O Sorry for the absence!

Attachments:
0 026.png
0 026.png [ 252.79 KiB | Viewed 1886 times ]
0 039.png
0 039.png [ 112.31 KiB | Viewed 1886 times ]
0 040.png
0 040.png [ 129.47 KiB | Viewed 1886 times ]

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

...meh, okay I don't usually do this sort of thing, but I finally sketched something I'm at least semi-happy with so I figured I might as well. It's pretty rough but it's the best I've ever managed, I might actually line and possibly color it digitally later...don't really know though, haven't decided yet.

Attachments:
shirosmall.png
shirosmall.png [ 123.37 KiB | Viewed 1844 times ]

My RP Characters.
Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:40 pm

@Nick's drawing: Goodness. o_o That looks.. interesting. Good nonetheless. It's quite the sort of balance between realism and that sort of anime-style of yours. It takes a sort of getting used to but I quite like it. xD How'd animal people look mimicking this style as much as it can?

@Tiggy's silverdeni requrest: Wow! That looks awesome. Ten bucks for that? That's just crazy. o_o Either my past commisioners have been mad expensive or this artist is extremely cheap. x3 Someone's got to make a wallpaper with that drawing!

@Nick style argument: Good greif. Such a fuss over that guy stating he obviously objectively had preference for nick's old style over the new?? Madness.

@TV Head drawing: Is that person running windows? x3

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 am
Profile YIM

http://www.ratemydrawings.com/drawings/cartoons/863861.html
This is just another drawing from me. I realized after I had saved my drawing that I forgot to finish the left shoulder. Hopefully, it doesn't look too bad.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm
Profile YIM

Don't worry QRS3K, stumpy looks fine.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Made another doodle and I used a reference for the pose 'cause I'm unable to make my own. ; AAA;

Image Image

Last edited by NickCole on Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 am
laughing maniacally

looks awesome. ^_^

RP character sheets

Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile YIM

NickCole wrote:
Made another doodle and I used a reference for the pose 'cause I'm unable to make my own. ; AAA;

(too much pro to be in my posts)

LOOKS LIKE YOU OUT PRO'D YOURSELF, NICK!

My PetFriendly character links
Can you hear me?<--Tesla's "volume" list.

CaptainPea wrote:
45 is my favorite color of the alphabet.

SoujiTheFox wrote:
(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR

Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm

nice drawing there NickCole

Last edited bytexascat018 on empty void of time

Tue May 01, 2012 5:29 pm
laughing maniacally

cute drawing, tc

RP character sheets

Tue May 01, 2012 5:53 pm
Profile YIM

D'awwww, that's cute~ ; w;

Image Image

Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm

thanks ya'll
may I ask you for assistance Nick? I'm having hard time with drawing a fold on cloth.
I know practice is the only way of getting better, but I think little bit of knowledge would help.
how do I draw a fold and shadow on cloth?

Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Uhm...not sure how I can help but there are like TONS of references on the net. I just found a couple on tumblr like these two:

http://tairupanda.tumblr.com/post/13779 ... tslearnart
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wqa ... o1_500.jpg

Sorry if I couldn't be of much help. D:

Image Image

Wed May 02, 2012 2:17 am

I ran into the IRC a couple days ago, and i decided I'd draw someone. House piped up and said he wanted his character drawn, so i did. the image itself is way too large for the forums, so I'll just have to direct you to the DA page.

Odd to think that three or four years after being introduced to the fandom, this is only my first or second "Furry" drawing.

what what? Jolly good time.

Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

why you no working?

Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm

some tf2 drawings

Sun May 06, 2012 9:32 pm
Extremerator

I don't play TF2 but I like the jaw the doctor has going on there.

Sleet wrote:
So at the zoo yesterday I came up with the idea of a ridiculous species: the giraffin.

Sleet wrote:
It's a half giraffe, half eagle.

Griffons don't have ears but this isn't a griffon so ha.

Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
laughing maniacally

thank you, Pea.

RP character sheets

Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile YIM
Mr. Sunshine

Pea, that is magnificent.

Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Bringing Foxy Back

That is exactly how I imagined it. <3

Tue May 08, 2012 12:03 am
Profile WWW

You pulled off that pose well Nick.

And I love your style Pea, looks awesome.

This is a new style I screwed around with:

Sat May 12, 2012 2:54 pm

finally figured out how to get the lineart to look good :)

Attachments:
0.png
0.png [ 86.77 KiB | Viewed 1440 times ]
0 079.png
0 079.png [ 89.43 KiB | Viewed 1440 times ]

Wed May 16, 2012 5:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Shyanne wrote:
finally figured out how to get the lineart to look good :)

*insert instant-diabetes*

That... diabetes... inducing art style... it warms the hearts of all who see it... and kills them with it's sugary sweet looks. QwQ

My PetFriendly character links
Can you hear me?<--Tesla's "volume" list.

CaptainPea wrote:
45 is my favorite color of the alphabet.

SoujiTheFox wrote:
(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR

Wed May 16, 2012 5:58 pm
Extremerator

Ooh I like the colors on that second one, especially the little orange ring around the face, it's a nice highlight

Because The Drowsy Chaperone, man
Yes this is an entirely silly and far too sequin-y outfit for a pilot, that's the point because the show is in large part a parody of musical theatre, especially its tendency to be flashy and unrealistic
But yeah meet Trix, she's an aviatrix, queen of the skies

Wed May 16, 2012 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

any advice?

Fri May 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Sun May 20, 2012 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 151  Next