Reading Thread/Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: Reading Thread/Discussion

Post by Seth »

My literature finished Nabakov's Lolita last week.
My skin feels all crawly and junk.....
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Why? Because the protagonist is so likable?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Well the subject matter is pretty disturbing on it's own, and when icoupled with H.H.'s justification for his actions it's a really disturbing look at the human psyche's ability to justify horrible things.
That and it's a really twisted take on the love story , so while I did enjoy the book as a piece of literature I couldn't help but be disgusted (which is the point of the novel, so well done Nabakov .*golf clap*)
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

To be fair. the young girl in Lolita is very cunning, aware of what she has and how to best use it. While it is very creepy, this is not uncommon, one reason it's such a rousing good read, the characters overshadow the 'ick' factor when you get to see how they play off of each other's weaknesses to gain what they want. And for those up in arms, everyone ends up lost at the end of the book.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'm currently a bit over halfway through Stephen King's The Shining. I've got to say, I knew King was a great writer before, but this is just on a whole other level.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I liked 'It' better but it has lots and lots of moments that just make you shudder.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I haven't read IT, I've only seen the TV miniseries they made, which is corny as...a cornfield.

But anyways, I'm glad that I'm reading The Shining now, because I've heard that King's writing a sequel to it. Should be good.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Foxstar wrote:To be fair. the young girl in Lolita is very cunning, aware of what she has and how to best use it. While it is very creepy, this is not uncommon, one reason it's such a rousing good read, the characters overshadow the 'ick' factor when you get to see how they play off of each other's weaknesses to gain what they want. And for those up in arms, everyone ends up lost at the end of the book.
Well put,
I definently plan on reading it some time in the future when I can read it at my leisure and not have to worry about keeping up with my class.
Penwrite wrote:I'm currently a bit over halfway through Stephen King's The Shining. I've got to say, I knew King was a great writer before, but this is just on a whole other level.
Stephen King has always been my guilty literary pleasure, I personally think he's a great writer, but try telling that to my high school english teacher. :P

The shining is probably my favorite King book, check out the Stanley Kubrick adaptation if you get a chance.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I plan on checking it out as soon as I'm finished with the book.

^_^

Anyone else read Stephen King?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Not currently, but I'm going to try to get through Bag of Bones and The Dead Zone this summer.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I like Stephen King but he does tend to use stock characters and characterization that does nothing to advance the plot.

Probably my favorite King book is one of the shortest, "Cycle of the Werewolf". Its a good introduction to King and it has illustrations by Berni Wrightson, who also illustrated "Creepshow".

I just got through reading "House on the Borderland" by William Hope Hodgeson. Hodgeson was like Lovecraft before Lovecraft. H.P. Lovecraft sited Hodgeson as an influence on him and his work. I had read a graphic novel adaptation of it so I decided to read the original. It is about two friends on a hiking and camping trip in rural Ireland when they find the ruin of an estate. In the ruins they find a journal of the estates owner who wrote of a nearby chasm that contained a gateway to another dimension. Every night, wild boar-like monsters called the "Swine-things" would come through and attack the house.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Currently on book 5 of the Termaire series. Loving it.
Radio Blue Heart

Just finished Xenophon's "Anabasis". It is one of the greatest adventure stories ever written and it is a true story! A thousand mile forced march through hostile territory.

I just got my copy of the novelization of "Dawn of the Dead" written by George A. Romero and Susan Sparrow. I know it sounds kind of cheesy to read a novelization of a movie, but sometimes they add extra details that were left out of the film. As a long time fan of this movie it feels good to finally get a chance to read the novelization. It was reprinted last November in a new edition. It has not been in print since the late '70s, and because of that copies of it, especially the hardcover, are very valuable. I am going to hang on to mine for a long time after reading it and hope in appreciates in value as well.
-Virgil
SirSlappy

Post by SirSlappy »

Reading 'Our Country's Good' in english (about first convicts shipped to australia putting on a play). It would be good if the teacher didn't stop us to explain every other line
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Just finished Xenophon's "Anabasis". It is one of the greatest adventure stories ever written and it is a true story! A thousand mile forced march through hostile territory.

I just got my copy of the novelization of "Dawn of the Dead" written by George A. Romero and Susan Sparrow. I know it sounds kind of cheesy to read a novelization of a movie, but sometimes they add extra details that were left out of the film. As a long time fan of this movie it feels good to finally get a chance to read the novelization. It was reprinted last November in a new edition. It has not been in print since the late '70s, and because of that copies of it, especially the hardcover, are very valuable. I am going to hang on to mine for a long time after reading it and hope in appreciates in value as well.
I know exactly what you mean about novelizations. The novel version of Revenge of the Sith is actually a really good story. Loads better than the movie anyway.

Edit: Just finished the third book of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series! Hot darn was that a good book! Excellent ending too!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Just began Woken Furies, the last part of the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan. Excellent series; an action-laden rollercoaster ride with thorough, gritty worldbuilding.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Has anyone else read Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee?
Just read it for english, one of my new favorite books.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Started reading "Cabal" by Clive Barker today. Read the first 45 pages in one sitting. Its a really good book!
-Virgil
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I am currently reading an Ethics book. It is actually very interesting!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Has anyone else read the Shadow Children series by Margaret Ptereson Haddix?

I'm not much of a reader, but that was one book series I could not put down until I completed it.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I just finished The Shining! :D That was a very good book!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:I just finished The Shining! :D That was a very good book!
Such an awesome book!!!!

If you haven't read it yet The Dark Half is one of King's most underrated books, at least in my opinion.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I just finished The Shining! :D That was a very good book!
Such an awesome book!!!!

If you haven't read it yet The Dark Half is one of King's most underrated books, at least in my opinion.
No, I haven't read that. Heard about it though. My next book to read is the final book in the Inheritance Series. Then after that Ender's Game, and then book 4 in the Dark Tower series.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I really should give the Dark Tower series another read one of these days. I read the first one about a bazillion years ago and never got any further
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm on the 5th book in the dark tower series.
I will never know how Stephen King could create such an awesome story.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Okay, update time. I tried, but I just can't finish the final Eragon book. The characters are unlikable and unrelatable, the story is subpar and filled with deus ex machinas, and the actual writing is amateurish at best. You have to show readers how characters feel, not just tell them! That makes me feel angry!

So I guess I'm off to Ender's Game.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:Okay, update time. I tried, but I just can't finish the final Eragon book. The characters are unlikable and unrelatable, the story is subpar and filled with deus ex machinas, and the actual writing is amateurish at best. You have to show readers how characters feel, not just tell them! That makes me feel angry!

So pretty much your typical fantasy novel :P

I'm starting on Notes From The Underground by Doestevsky but it might have to be put on hold until after finals.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Penwrite wrote:Okay, update time. I tried, but I just can't finish the final Eragon book. The characters are unlikable and unrelatable, the story is subpar and filled with deus ex machinas, and the actual writing is amateurish at best. You have to show readers how characters feel, not just tell them! That makes me feel angry!

just caught the Futurama reference in there. ^_^
Can you blame his writing for being amateurish? He wrote the first book when he was a teenager. getting a popular book so early in his writing casreer, he likely didn't have reason to let his writing mature, meaning that the later books would seem amateurish because they happen to expose flaws that didn't show up in the first.

and Ender's Game is a great book. Speaker for the Dead is okay. I lost interest in reading when I got to Xenocide, though I probably will return to it eventually.
My brother has read all of the books in that series.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:

just caught the Futurama reference in there. ^_^
Can you blame his writing for being amateurish? He wrote the first book when he was a teenager. getting a popular book so early in his writing casreer, he likely didn't have reason to let his writing mature, meaning that the later books would seem amateurish because they happen to expose flaws that didn't show up in the first.

and Ender's Game is a great book. Speaker for the Dead is okay. I lost interest in reading when I got to Xenocide, though I probably will return to it eventually.
My brother has read all of the books in that series.
Yeah, you have a point. It might also be that the last three books I've read were all Stephen King books, and pretty much everything I read will seem ameteurish. XD

Speaking of, I had actually left my copy of Ender's Game in my dorm room when I visited home for the weekend, so I just went ahead and started book 4 of the Dark Tower series instead. A hundred or so pages in, this goes back to explore Roland's past!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

And that it does.

And in some ways that can't be posted on the fourm.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

JeffCvt wrote:And that it does.

And in some ways that can't be posted on the fourm.
Agreed.
Liam

Post by Liam »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Can you blame his writing for being amateurish?
Yes. Its only claim to fame was that it was written by a teenager, so they could market it as "OMG child prodigy". The only exceptional things about Paolini are his above-average drive and the fact his parents are publishers, however. There are children with serious talent, but he isn't and instead of sitting down some years cultivating some writing skills he choose the easy, quick way with predictable results.

Paolini's work reads like poorly written Tolkien fanfic lacking depth and everything else one can't rip off. Heck, his first book is A New Hope with the serial numbers filed off. He also can't refrain from throwing in every five dollar word he finds in his thesaurus, regardless of how disruptive to the flow or anachronistic it is ("psychedelic" in a generic LotR-esque setting?).
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Liam wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Can you blame his writing for being amateurish?
Yes. Its only claim to fame was that it was written by a teenager, so they could market it as "OMG child prodigy". The only exceptional things about Paolini are his above-average drive and the fact his parents are publishers, however. There are children with serious talent, but he isn't and instead of sitting down some years cultivating some writing skills he choose the easy, quick way with predictable results.

Paolini's work reads like poorly written Tolkien fanfic lacking depth and everything else one can't rip off. Heck, his first book is A New Hope with the serial numbers filed off. He also can't refrain from throwing in every five dollar word he finds in his thesaurus, regardless of how disruptive to the flow or anachronistic it is ("psychedelic" in a generic LotR-esque setting?).
Yeah, Paolini does have a serious problem with purple prose...
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Really? I thought it was alright. He's no George R.R or even a Naomi Novrik, but he does alright. Maybe I have a higher tolerance level.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Foxstar wrote:

Really? I thought it was alright. He's no George R.R or even a Naomi Novrik, but he does alright. Maybe I have a higher tolerance level.
Eh, maybe I just drew too accustomed to King's style. I'll probably go back to Inheritance someday and try to finish it after I've read some other authors' stuff, but not now.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Has anyone else read Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski? I can't say I enjoyed it as much as I wanted to and I was hoping maybe someone to discuss it with would help my appreciation.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:Has anyone else read Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski? I can't say I enjoyed it as much as I wanted to and I was hoping maybe someone to discuss it with would help my appreciation.
Can't say that I have, sorry. What's it about?
Liam

Post by Liam »

I've yet to finish House Of Leaves...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's so good! You should finish it! But take your time.
Penwrite wrote:
Sleet wrote:Has anyone else read Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski? I can't say I enjoyed it as much as I wanted to and I was hoping maybe someone to discuss it with would help my appreciation.
Can't say that I have, sorry. What's it about?
It's about two immortal 16-year-olds on a trip across the US that symbolically spans history while they span distances. It's a very difficult read due to the completely off-the-wall syntax and grammar, and I didn't feel it had enough narrative depth to justify that, but I feel like I could be missing something that would allow me to appreciate it more. It just seems a lot more shallow than House of Leaves.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Did anyone read wereworld? It's a book about a medieval-ish world where the nobles can turn into werecreatures (werewolves,, weretigers, werestags, etc.). The story was kin da okay. But there was one plot point I disliked in the first book: The implied romance between the main character (who is a werewolf and a girl who is a werefox).
I didn't read the sequels, thou, so I don't know if they end up together or not (I hope not)
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus