Beware of CISPA

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Jimmy Jazz

Beware of CISPA

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA

Here's their next move: The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA, would obliterate any semblance of online privacy in the United States.

And CISPA would provide a victory for content owners who were shell-shocked by the unprecedented outpouring of activism in opposition to SOPA and Internet censorship.

The House of Representatives is planning to take up CISPA later this month.

SOPA was pushed as a remedy to the supposed economic threat of online piracy -- but economic fear-mongering didn't quite do the trick.

So those concerned about copyright are engaging in sleight of hand, appending their legislation to a bill that most Americans will assume is about keeping them safe from bad guys.

This so-called cyber security bill aims to prevent theft of "government information" and "intellectual property" and could let ISPs block your access to websites -- or the whole Internet.

Don't let them push this back-door SOPA. Click here to demand that your lawmakers oppose CISPA.

CISPA also encourages companies to share information about you with the government and other corporations.

That data could then be used for just about anything -- from prosecuting crimes to ad placements.

And perhaps worst of all, CISPA supercedes all other online privacy protections.

Please urge your lawmakers to oppose CISPA when it comes up for a vote this month.

Thanks for fighting for the Internet.

-Demand Progress

PS - CISPA is likely to see a vote later this month. Please urge your friends to take action by spreading this message.

(there is also a petition here.)

what what? Jolly good time.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Beware of CISPA

Post by Sleet »

Normally I'd close this, but Rick said he's fine with politics being brought up if it's something directly threatening to the internet (and, by extension, Housepets!) But let's have this be a warning to not let this get heated, alright?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Agreed, and let's not degenerate into fear-mongering like last time. No unsubstantiated claims or hysterics, please.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

So, no random screams of "the horror, THE HORROR!"?
I've read about this before, but I don't think it's going to pass as long as we make the same pressure as we did with SOPA. But really, let's cut the pro-piracy arguments this time. It makes us look like the bad guys.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Liam

Post by Liam »

Here's an informative article about CISPA.

Tl;dr: It's as bad or worse than SOPA. There's a lot of pressure behind all those bills, so I'm not sure if they can be stopped in the long run.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Oh boy, so they're at it again. The sneaky little within the automobile.
I don't have a big brother (just three sisters), but I don't think I need that void filled anytime soon. :|
When I first checked the link, I thought the meter was rising because people were signing the petition at that moment. It freaked me out.
angelusbr wrote:So, no random screams of "the horror, THE HORROR!"?
I'd like to hear people scream "Game over man!"
Dissension wrote:let's not degenerate into fear-mongering like last time
I don't know what you mean by last time, but has somebody already accused CISPA of being a product of witchcraft? Cause if not, then I have something to say.
Liam

Post by Liam »

RootsofOrigin wrote:
"WAKE UP SHEEEEEEPLE :U "
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RootsofOrigin wrote:Oh boy, so they're at it again. The sneaky little within the automobile.
I don't have a big brother (just three sisters), but I don't think I need that void filled anytime soon. :|
When I first checked the link, I thought the meter was rising because people were signing the petition at that moment. It freaked me out.
Dissension wrote:let's not degenerate into fear-mongering like last time
I don't know what you mean by last time, but has somebody already accused CISPA of being a product of witchcraft? Cause if not, then I have something to say.
Actually I have heard from a very respectable tabloid that CISPA is in fact a product of witchcraft.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Liam wrote:
RootsofOrigin wrote:
"WAKE UP SHEEEEEEPLE :U "
NO! DON'T DO IT!!!
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Post by 0404 »

naaaaaaa , Sopa, Sispa is like hallowen, everyone dress up as "Team Internet" . and when the 'llowen is over, everything is back to normal and way it was.