Earth Hour!

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Earth Hour!

Post by 0404 »

I somehow got to know about this while ago. I think it would be nice to tell others.

Because we Humans have been dystorying Enviorment for long time, Earth dying from Climate changes. And We should stop this crisis.

by joining 'Earth hours' we can help to solve problems.
anyone who is willing to save inviorment can be participant of 'Earth hour' campaign.
During Earth hours, the participant will be doing any kinds of enviorment saving activity.
ex. turning off every electronic execept needed electronic, stay in dark, not playing videogames etc...

The Enviorment saving campaign 60+Earth hour is about to begin in 4 hours, the campaign is between 8:30-9:30pm (Times are vary depending on the location).
for further info, visit http://www.earthhour.org/

I'm daring my self to: not play bf3 during that hours and draw another fursona in darkness with only one lamp on,and not turning on the heating system. also I was about to take bath today but I changed my mind in to shower :P

will you join?

now with Bad Grammar :(
Last edited by 0404 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athodyd

Re: Earth Hour!

Post by Athodyd »

texascat018 wrote:Because we Humans have been dystorying Enviorment for long time, Earth dying from Climate changes. And We should stop this crisis.

by joining 'Earth hours' we can help to solve problems.
How?

How's this publicity stunt supposed to combat anthropogenic climate change if the saved carbon emissions are negligible? Or even, if certain sources can be trusted, negative due to technological complications and people switching to petroleum-based candles?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yeah, as that article says, this isn't intended as a solution, but as an awareness thing. To get people thinking about how they can help.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Post by 0404 »

Athodyd wrote:how?

How's this publicity stunt supposed to combat anthropogenic climate change if the saved carbon emissions are negligible? Or even, if certain sources can be trusted, negative due to technological complications and people switching to petroleum-based candles?
True,but it is more likely to be symbolic meaning.
Athodyd

Post by Athodyd »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:yeah, as that article says, this isn't intended as a solution, but as an awareness thing. To get people thinking about how they can help.
I'm not sure how all this "raising awareness" stuff is supposed to help in a time where, in spite of overwhelming evidence and scientific consensus, 30% or more of America thinks ACC is just One Big Lie/Green Conspiracy and science funding is at an historical all-time low, so we can't even devise mitigation technologies...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The next person to discuss politics like this is getting issued a warning level. Are we clear?

Athodyd, I believe I've already warned you today about getting political. Don't make me warn you again.

I believe we can discuss the environment without getting into controversial political discussion. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, this thread is closed.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet convinced me this conversation may be salvageable, but seriously, drop the controversial stuff. These forums support a family-friendly comic and are not here to be a political soapbox or allow you to bash people you disagree with.
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

The Rooster Teeth Podcast talked briefly about the whole "saving the planet" ideal, and claimed that more people would be in support of "going green" if it's marketed as "fighting the planet." The point being that we're in far more danger than Earth is. The planet will be fine, it'll spruce itself up if we cause any damage. BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be fine, because any damage we cause may backfire.

One of the hosts, Burnie Burns, can be quoted for saying:
"Let's not save the planet, we're gonna fight it. The planet is trying to kill us, so let's fight the planet. The planet naturally wants to kill us, and will cleanse us we keep **** with it. So let's learn how to, like, not **** with it, or get what we want without, like, making the planet mad. We'll fight the planet."

They're not saying we should actualy fight the planet (kicking a mountain and such), they're saying we should market "going green" like this, because it implies human survival. And really, isn't that one of the purposes for saving the planet anyway?

I hope this doesn't count as political. If it does, sorry. :mrgreen:
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm not joining it. I like light from lamps, not candles.
edit: I don't want to sound rude, but I really don't like the idea at all for reasons I cannot voice here. and, really, I can't read or do nothing undercandlelight. they hurt my eyes.
Last edited by angelusbr on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I would participate if only my homework was not on the computer. ^^;
I like the concept and idea, but I doubt my family would care to go along with it.
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

I prefer Zeitgeist Movement because they support Venus Project.

P.s: click the images to enter the sites.

What's Zeitgeist Movement:
Founded in 2008, The Zeitgeist Movement is a Sustainability Advocacy Organization which conducts community based activism and awareness actions through a network of Global/Regional Chapters, Project Teams, Annual Events, Media and Charity Work.

The Movement's principle focus includes the recognition that the majority of the social problems which plague the human species at this time are not the sole result of some institutional corruption, scarcity, a political policy, a flaw of "human nature" or other commonly held assumptions of causality.

And Venus Project:
The Venus Project offers a comprehensive plan for social reclamation in which human beings, technology and nature will be able to coexist in a long term, sustainable state of dynamic equilibrium.

Both movements support a new economic system, calls Resource Based Economy.

What's Resource Based Economy:
The term and meaning of a Resource Based Economy was originated by Jacque Fresco. It is a holisticsocio-economic system in which all goods and services are available without the use of money, credits, barter or any other system of debt or servitude. All resources become the common heritage of all of the inhabitants, not just a select few. The premise upon which this system is based is that the Earth is abundant with plentiful resource; our practice of rationing resources through monetary methods is irrelevant and counter productive to our survival.

Modern society has access to highly advanced technology and can make available food, clothing, housing and medical care; update our educational system; and develop a limitless supply of renewable, non-contaminating energy. By supplying an efficiently designed economy, everyone can enjoy a very high standard of living with all of the amenities of a high technological society.

I agree with this proposals 'cause probably they'll help the humanity more than the others movements, 'cause they want in global scale. Not in a specific area, like a movement who want to help the poor people in africa. Only in africa. ¬¬
Or a movement who want help the poor explored childrens in China. Only in China. ¬¬

They think only in these areas need help.

I think we need help all the people. No matter the location. This have to be a global scale.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Okay now we're talking about communism/something that's easily mistakable for communism.

Sorry, thread.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!