New short story, Ten Thousand Miles Up, now on sale!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

rickgriffin
Site Admin

New short story, Ten Thousand Miles Up, now on sale!

Post by rickgriffin »

10kmilescover4small.jpg
10kmilescover4small.jpg (102.06 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
SPACE PIRATES IN SPACE GUYS

This took some time to do! But you can buy the fully revised version of Ten Thousand Miles Up right now in all formats DRM-free on Smashwords! Don't have an e-reader? No problem, it's readable right in-browser! You can even preview the first half of the story free! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/146211

Soon to be on Amazon, just you wait!
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: New short story, Ten Thousand Miles Up, now on sale!

Post by Sleet »

Curse my school forcing me to read dumb stuff. I'll read this soon!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'll read it eventually.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Athodyd

Post by Athodyd »

rickgriffin wrote:fully revised version
So it's a bigger and better incarnation of the original?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"The original" was never released to my knowledge, so basically he's just saying it's finished.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
SirSlappy

Post by SirSlappy »

Interesting. I may get this at some point.
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:"The original" was never released to my knowledge, so basically he's just saying it's finished.
I briefly released the original on FA before I decided to pull it for revisions.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ah. I see! It was so brief I never saw it. That or I forgot.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Am reading it now. If it's like the other stories of yours, it'll be good. :)
valerio

Post by valerio »

bought it! :D
My kindle is so happy now!!
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

I've read it twice now, and I think I love it! Is that unnatural, do you think, to love a mere collection of words? It’s a great short story of epic proportions; that juxtaposition is interesting because one might think that such a large scale production should be longer; indeed, one wishes it to be longer. Rick does a good job supplying the right amount of relevant exposition in the narration and dialogue, at the right place and time; the first time you read, it’s intriguing, not knowing various exposition right away. I think what really hooks me when I really like something is when I wish there were more if it; a sequel or something; even if there’s not a relevant story to tell anymore; anything to spend more time in this story, with these characters.

I wanna bring up some things for discussion (spoilers):

Dragons in space: well, I haven’t heard that before, assuming the krakun are comparable to dragons. I couldn’t help but wonder if krakun can fly and expel flame in an atmosphere.

Sapient species: I was curious as to whether any of the mentioned races came from the same planet. At one point Sinon sort of calls Ateri an alien, so that might mean they’re from different worlds. I wonder if the kraken homeworld’s atmo always had enough sulfur for them to be content, and whether the fifty other races on the planet were as accustomed to it. Krakuntek for all we know might be their homeworld but it might be a new one terraformed.

Ateri and Jakari: I wondered who mandated their marriage; if it was the kraken, well that’s one small thing for which they can be thankful, then, isn’t it? Perhaps it’s more likely that the ship’s captain, Jakari’s father, was in charge of pre-arranging unions, as ordered by the kraken. I just think that it’s very lucky that they get along so well; we don’t hear many marital issues between them, except perhaps that Ateri felt being ship’s captain meant he couldn’t raise a family at the same time.

Ten thousand souls: quite a population, even on a ship ten miles in circumference. If that crew size is actually more than necessary to maintain the ship, in a way, that means the story’s conclusion is really an oversight on the part of the krakun, otherwise the geroo wouldn’t have had time, even over generations, to do anything but their jobs. Also, I have to point out that in Part 6, Ateri mentions a crew of a hundred thousand, which seems like an error.

The ending: Well, before I read Argo... the twist at the end wasn’t spoiled to me, but I read that there was a twist, which I wish I hadn’t known ahead of time, because otherwise I may not have predicted the twist before I even started reading it (Oh, maybe she’s a robot.) I thought Argo was okay, but I guess I’m still wondering why the robots would want to repopulate the planet with a bunch of human robots at all. So, in Ten Thousand Miles Up... I expected some kind of twist revelation as well. What’s interesting is we know the geroo have some sort of stratagem early on, and we hear quite a lot of it before the battle begins, but you really need to be paying attention (I guess I wasn’t) to keep up. Also, what was their original plan, if the ringel pirates had not intervened? How, under what circumstances, would they have implemented faking the terraformer's selfdestruct if they didn't have a scapegoat?

All in all it was a great read. I suppose my only other complaint is that there are so few important and distinct characters, and wishing for more character detail, but it is a short story. It makes me wonder how long I’d be able to withstand living my whole life on a giant ring ten miles around at the behest of my overlords, and try to compare that to the times when I really can’t stand my life or my job or my parents. Also there's the idea that if you have someone you love with you, it might make a universe of a difference.

Also I have to say how interesting I think it is that Rick the Writer writes apparent situations in his stories that would likely be against the code of Rick the Artist to draw! In fact I dare you Rick to illustrate Sinon and what he sees at that moment in Part 6 when he opens that closet door!

Also, on the cover the emblem on Ateri's uniform of the planet in a kraken's claw is hard to see.
Henry K9

Post by Henry K9 »

I just bought both of the books for my Kindle. am 1/2 way through 10,000 Miles up and I enjoy it very much! :D
Henry K9

Post by Henry K9 »

Finished Ten thousand Miles Up and ARGO, both are very good!
Trying to see a brighter future!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ah, I forgot to post here! Ten Thousand Miles Up was quite good!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Indeed, very good.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Finally got to read this. gotta say I liked it, but I agree with Sleet that I liked Argo a little better.
still, you are an amazing author, Rick.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Question for Rick: When you have published several short stories, do you have plans to sell collections of them on physical media? I think that would be pretty awesome. I'd love to have your work on my bookshelf other than just Housepets!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:Question for Rick: When you have published several short stories, do you have plans to sell collections of them on physical media? I think that would be pretty awesome. I'd love to have your work on my bookshelf other than just Housepets!
Well yes, yes I will
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I expect a fancy gold-cornered, leather-bound version with gold-edged pages. And nothing less. Or I'll be disappointed.

And stop reading the comic.

Forever.

Or I'll just buy whatever you sell and be happy.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Interview with Rick regarding the story and other stuff here
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7996348/
and more other stuff here
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7522390/