HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

legendario13

Re: HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

Post by legendario13 »

I keep enjoying it.

I just notice that you repeated a paragraph on the second part were the vans split their ways.

is the one about the white toyota.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Not to be overexcited or anything but I just know that my character is going to make his second appearance in the story. Since one of the groups are going to the zoo, they are sure to meet FLASH! :mrgreen: I can't wait to see both my character and how the two groups work at their different places.
Yes, I am a furry.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

great as always. except for the part where you repeated half a sentence. and a reference to one of the greatest comedies of all time.
quick question Val: are you planning to ever have another time where readers get to submit characters or did I miss my one shot because I wasn't reading yet? I'm fine either way.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

you missed it Brent he was asking for characters before this season started. It was in http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=13&t=840. But who knows he might add some more slots later.
Yes, I am a furry.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I know I missed this one, I was asking if that'd be the only time.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:great as always. except for the part where you repeated half a sentence. and a reference to one of the greatest comedies of all time.
quick question Val: are you planning to ever have another time where readers get to submit characters or did I miss my one shot because I wasn't reading yet? I'm fine either way.
fixed. Thank you.
As for your question, well, it depends: I got the series planned for a long run to go, and I'm rather sure there will be room for a new initiative like the one that brought life to the cast of TH. So, as the ol' saying goes... Stay tuned! ;)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I always will. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Sooo much good stuff, I can't even begin.... Just great all around, Can't wait for the next update.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

River Ridge City Pound

“Hey, are you feeling okay?” the St. Bernard asked, while carrying three sacks of dog food.
The Maine Coon he had been addressing rolled her eyes. “I swear, Samson, you are the sweetest giant I ever knew, but if you don’t stop asking me if I’m all right, I’ll make a scarf out of your tail!”
The large dog whimpered, tucked his tail between his legs and scampered away.
“Hey, lady, you got class,” said a cat from his cage. He was one male of an ashen-gray tone of fur. A common middle-aged tabby, if you didn’t look at the eye patch covering his left eye. “You know, it’s always open here, should you decide to pay me a visit. It gets lonely, sometime.”
The female walked to the cage. “Oh, Steve, don’t you remember me? It’s me, Tegan.”
The cat tried to focus, but without success. “Hmm, can’t say I rem—“ then his eyes widened. “Tegan?! Impossible. Last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper! Not to mention so scrawny. Heh, you could barely stand on your feet! And look at yourself now.” He let out a wolf-whistle. “Do you have any pretender? It feels so lonely here, sometimes.”
Tegan touched the wire mesh that separated her from the other cat. “It would feel less lonely if you decided you should get adopted, Delusional Steve. Do you still believe they will come back to take you home?”
The cat shrugged. “Well, the shrink says I’ve been improving in these years: I downgraded from faith to reasonable doubt. Perhaps my Dad and my Uncle won’t come back to pick me up and bring me home, but I still don’t want to be adopted by someone else.”
“Really?” Tegan chuckled. “And no one ever, ever wanted to adopt you in all these years? Come on, DS! How did you manage to convince the humans you were not family material?”
Steve sat on his cot, arms crossed behind his head. “Oh, that’s easy: I tell them that I have an obsessive-compulsive disorder that pushes me to act like a dog and zone like crazy. Doesn’t work if it’s not true, humans are scared by that, and it keeps me off the ‘dangerous’ list.”
The Maine Coon shook her head. “You still believe they’ll come, don’t you?”
Steve hummed a song. “Of course I do! And then I’ll be again their mascot to sell used cars, just like ol’ times. You wait and see.”
Tegan nodded. Any other pet talking like that would drive her mad with frustration, but in the short time she had known him, Steve had proved himself a nice guy. He spread…optimism. Delusional he might be, but when another guest at the pound was scared or just needed a kind word, Steve was there…
“Hey there,” said a voice from behind her. “Can I talk to you for a second?”
She turned and met the golden eyes of a plump black cat wearing a white and black clergy collar, and a tag depicting a cross superimposed over a paw. “Sure, Bro—Lazarus.”
“Been a pleasure to meet you. Hey, Teg?”
“Yes?”
He winked his good eye at her. “Do you remember when I told you you’d get a sweet deal?”
Tegan nodded, “Sure, Steve.”
“So I will get mine. And don’t forget to come back for the goodbyes!” Steve said, waving.

“I saw you hesitating for words,” Brother Lazarus said, showing that warm, reassuring expression. “You are worried for him, right?”
Tegan sighed, looking at the ground. “Who wouldn’t be? I mean, I thought he was just a crazy but kind cat. Sort of, well, like those weird relatives you meet once in a while and then forget about them. Am I being clear?”
Lazarus nodded. “Yes you are. My child, Steve will never admit it, for he too has his pride, but he’s here because he likes to be helpful. Granted, he is not living his ideal life, but he’s got a purpose. He helps out other poor souls. He uses the skills he learnt from a couple of car salesmen to cheer up the others. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but in the end he’s being useful. He takes comfort in that, and keeps his hopes alive.”
“Slim hopes, Brother.”
“True that, but once again, faith can move mountains. I know something about that.”
Tegan laughed, then raised her paws in a defensive gesture. “I surrender, Brother. I have better things to do than losing theological arguments with a cat of faith. But enough about me. How was your day so far?”
The cat’s expression went neuter. “I spent my time with a terminally ill dog. He needed some comfort.” He didn’t need to add more. Unfortunately, the shelter wasn’t a charity entity, and they couldn’t waste medicines and time over cases who couldn’t be cured.
Tegan decided she’d not ask other questions.
---
“Hey,” Samson said as he walked into the dog section of the shelter. “Where did you want me to put this stuff?”
“Ah, thanks man!” Sigmund said, offering to take a sack of dog food from the St. Bernard’s load. “Thank you again, this stuff gets always misplaced, one would think the cats got a taste for this—ACK!”
At that moment, followed by squeals of delight, an army of puppies attacked Samson! In a second, they were all over the hulking canine, nibbling his tail, climbing his legs, clawing and growling happily. They were like a swarm of fluffy piranhas!
Samson, of course, could only jump in surprise, but he also lost his grip over his load. His Weimaraner friend could only look in horror as 165lbs of dry dog food fell on his feet!

Sigmund’s howl of pain filled the air over a remote tundra area in Russia, causing a pack of wolves to howl their solidarity.

“Whoops,” Samson said, a growling puppy hanging from his long floppy ear. “At least they didn’t break. And don’t put up that show, Siggy: they weren’t that heavy!”
The grey-furred canine was jumping like a cricket, holding in turn each foot, while gritting his teeth. At the larger dog’s words he answered with a growl. “I am a Weimaraner and a Security dog, you big [censored]! I am supposed to use my feet to run, and to patrol! What use is a security dog who can’t walk? Not to mention the agility competitions! My career’s over! Dad will sell me to some shady agent and make me a smiling idiot for some silly commercials!”
Samson avoided commenting that reaction, also because the puppies were having a good time doing that for him, pointing at the adult dog and laughing and doing circling gestures with their fingers against their skulls.
Athena walked to them at that moment. The malamute scooped up a pup and let her snuggle against her chest. “You were saying the exact same thing when you broke a foot claw, back at the Academy. So stop acting like a prima donna and get back to work.”
“Bad girl!” he said, stomping away.
“I have seen a couple of humans acting like him, at Dad’s gym. Even with the girlish voice.”
“Nevermind him, he took the job only to be more popular with the girls. Put that stuff in its place and help me keep the pups in check.”
Samson still looked like a living tug doll, though no one of them could harm him. In fact, he was beaming as he picked up the sacks of dog food. “Heh, you look so adorable with that little one. Have you ever thought of raising a family?”
Athena shook her head. The gray-furred pup in her arms yawned loudly. “Nah. Unlike Siggy, I took this job to do it until the end. Then I’ll raise a litter or two so that my bloodline is carried on to another dutiful owner.”
The pups tugging at Samson’s tail let him go as he started walking. They ran and yipped all around the two adults. “It’s sad. One shouldn’t…program a good thing like this.”
The malamute shrugged. “Ah, don’t make a movie out of it. I am lucky, after all. So many pets can’t even raise a litter because of their owners’ economic conditions. Plus, I get to carry on the glorious blood of my ancestor, the great Togo: as long as I have a litter, his memory will never fad—“ She was interrupted when a small rocket ran by them screaming.
A moment later, a wave of kittens followed, all chasing like a pack of wolves after the Minipinscher.
“This time it took Tobee longer to resist,” Athena commented.
Samson was aghast. “Shouldn’t we, like, uh, help him?”
“Nah. The kittens need some exercise.”

“Back off you little monsters Clementia why do you always put me up with this I should be working in the dog section!” S.A. Tobee Gallant made it to a cage and closed himself in it. He was panting as fast as a hummingbird would beat his wings. “I hate this job,” he managed to say as he looked at the dozen of eyes looking at him as if he were an interesting ball of yarn. His fur was a mess and he had to touch his ears just to make sure they still were there. “Kits are you sure you don’t want me to build a nice toy for you I’m so allergic to pain the vet says I can’t take more than a very little dose once a year please!”
They kept staring at him, tails lashing, like so many Midwich Cuckoos.
“I’ll give you a cookie! A box of nice pet-safe choco cookies!”
“Come play with us,” said one of them. It sounded so…sinister…
“CLEMENTIA!”
“Now, now,” Tegan said, walking in the furry midst. “What will your fans think?” She grabbed one of the kittens, an ivory-coated female, by the scruff and lifted her before cradling her with the most maternal expression she could muster. “Aww, you’re such a cute thing! Mmm, I’d adopt you straight away.” She wasn’t kidding –if that was how Grape felt with her own litter, every single day, it was a miracle her own biological clock hadn’t started ticking crazy…
“My fans like me alive thank you please help me and I will be your servant forever!”
“Tell us a story!” the others mewed while fighting to get her attention. “What’s the life in the big city?” “Is it true that every kitten has a family?” “Can we have fun in a big park?” “Do we get to choose the collar?”
Tegan knew those were the very same questions she used to ask back when she was a guest here. Listening to them gave her a mixed feeling of sadness and joy –of course, it wasn’t fair that their innocence was to be spent in places like this, perhaps many of them were actually born here, but they were still so full of wonder and curiosity, as if the permanence in a shelter was only a parenthesis in this life that could bring more fun…
Tegan sat down. Immediately, the kittens, their ages ranging from one to three years, sat down around her, their gaze all focused on their new friend.
What could she tell them? She remembered the many stories her Mom had told her before sleepytime, but she didn’t feel like recycling one –especially given the fact she had noticed many fables books she knew in the shelter’s library…
Then inspiration struck her! The Maine Coon beamed, while the kittens understood this was going to be interesting. Their tails lashed with excitement like a furry serpentine crowd.
“Let’s see… Once a time, well not so long a time ago, there was a kitten. A girl kitten of rare beauty, and she lived in a pretty house in that fabled place known as Babylon Gardens.
“One day, she answered to the door and guess what? There on the threshold was this cute dog pup of just her age. And he held a biiig tray filled tasty cookies….”

Tobee took advantage of that distraction to slip away unnoticed. When he was far enough from the danger, he allowed himself to relax. “Whew now let’s see if I can just finish my job I can’t understand why Clem wants always me in this dogforsaken—Ouch!” That last part came when the minipinscher bumped into a pair of legs.
“Oh, I’m sorry little guy,” said a man. Rubbing his aching nose, Tobee examined the guy –or, rather, the guys. Two men of about 60, about 5.5 feet, salt-and-pepper hair, both dressed with colorful red and blue outfits and shiny black shoes.
“Don’t worry I’ve been treated worse at the Academy and how can I help you gentlemen?”
The two humans exchanged a glance. “Ah, are you a guest here? We are looking for a cat…”
“Plenty to go around I know where you can find them please follow me.” With that, Tobee turned and motioned them to follow him. “I’m not a guest but I do volunteer job here are you looking for a feline in particular I know all of them a real good bunch!”
Again the two humans exchanged a glance. What they said a moment later caused his heart to skip a beat. “Yes, we are looking for our cat. We left him here some years ago, his name is Steve.”
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I had a lot to cathc up to.
I'm a fraid I might be a plagiarist of Mcdonalds, but... I'm lovin it
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

Puppies and kittens for the win! Bit of a dissonance for Siggy to curse within earshot of them.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Another great update Val!
I really like that Delusional Steve's owners came to pick him up!
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Oo! This should be very interesting. Glad some good will finally come to him.

Aww! Tegan really likes Grapenut! She must be their number one fan... :D
My characters
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Another great update Valerio!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Noah’s Ark Biopark, Terrace High

“You look nervous, dear.”
“Me? And why should I be?” the black rabbit answered without turning, as he kept cleaning the den of the snow leopard. Eventually, the rabbit turned. He put the mop into the bucket and sat next to the wild feline –well, for how ‘wild’ this Flash guy could be considered.
When Hannibal had asked Shadow if he would take care of cleaning the snow leopard’s den, the rabbits’ first gut reaction had been to run away screaming. Then the zoo’s doctor, Mr. Gordon, had explained him that Flash was only a big softie. Even though a genetic sickness forced him to eat only fresh meat - NOT good to learn! – he was really a friendly guy. He had studied all he needed to know about the General Obedience Exam to become a pet, he probably knew more about petiquette than cats and dogs, but because of his dietary problems, the Administration feared that Flash could ‘accidentally’ feed on another animal. Leopards, like all exotic animals, were not admitted as pets. Their owners must meet a wide set of requirements, most of them costly. In Flash’s case, doctor Gordon, who also happened to be the candidate owner, knew that food alone would constitute a problem, budget-wise…
Shadow had listened intently to this strange human who was fighting daily for such an unusual adoption. In the end, the rabbit had decided that he could trust this man’s judgment –hey, there were certain advantages in having a wizard for housemate, for example it did open one’s mind.
The only unnerving thing was that while Shadow was working, Flash had kept both eyes on him, as if the cat was…studying him. Unnerving because he had made Shadow feel as if he was going to be pounced for good.
“I was only wondering what could you find so interesting in ol’ me. I mean, you never took your eyes off me the whole time.”
Flash shrugged. “Oh, it’s only that it can get boring, with the four of us only all year round in the den. I like having visitors, other than the human cleaning staff.”
“..Four?” Shadow was puzzled. “I didn’t see any—“ POUNCE! “GAK!” In a moment, the rabbit was pinned down by two of the big felines! These two were younger specimen than Flash, a male and a female with intense green eyes and wide sharp grins.
“Help?” the poor rabbit whimpered.
Still leaning back where he was, Flash said, “Shadow, meet Tolomeos and Cleo. Tolomeos, Cleo, Shadow from the Fulcrum.
“Very happy to know you!” the felines said with an excited tone.
“I wasn’t called here just to clean up, wasn’t I?”
Flash shook his head. “Their mother is undergoing her monthly check-up. And she is the only who can manage them. How fast can you run?”
Shadow had accepted to volunteer both to impress Jasmine and to show Tegan that the Love for Life Social Club could count on him… But next time they better give him something easier, like mowing the whole Hexagon, or he’d join the FFL!

“Let’s see… The foxes’ pen should be the last on the list.” The Persian cat opened the bloc notes and checked with a pencil. “Yup!” he said. Then, while putting it all back in place he added, “You know, I really feared this thing would be a lot harder. Don’t you agree?” He turned to meet a very tired Boxer, who was staring at him with death in his eyes. The dog was still carrying the box with the toys he’d been given since leaving the parking lot. At his friend’s words he gestured something that made Drake Verde blush.
“Oh, my, where did you learn such language?! I thought I heard them all, and my Mom is a lawyer.”
‘Mine too!’ the dog gestured but misspelled because his hands were busy. He added another foul word.
Drake waved that reaction away. “Please, your Dad is scared of hurting the feelings of the counterparts! You really should be present when Mom starts to eat.”
‘Pork, you mean? Argh!’
The cat flashed a grin that Maxwell would be envious of. “You see, that’s the difference between our parents: she doesn’t work: she feeds. Now enough with the pillow talk, try to give a move big lug or Hannibal will get our tails.”
Butch decided he would get Drake’s tail for good!

After a ten minute-walk, the couple reached the foxes exhibit. “Hi there, firetruck butts! Santa’s come to town.”
Once they had reached the entrance to the pen, Butch put the box down. He gestured, ‘Your turn’.
Drake’s nose twitched. Then he said nonchalantly, “My friend, be a dear and please take care of this last task. I just washed my fur and I’d end up smelling like fox until the next week.”
‘Yeah, you said that for all the last deliveries. This time you do it. I smell like half of the animal kingdom now.’ Butch sniffed his arm and made a face.
Drake rolled his eyes. “All the reason for you to do it, since you just proved I was right—eep!” At that point, the muscular boxer had grabbed him by the collar, snarling a mute growl, showing as much fangs as a dog could. The cat decided he loved his own hide more than his beauty.
Drake patted the dog’s head. “Good boy, good. I will take care of this simple delivery, don’t you get nervous.” Butch let him go and the cat opened the box. “And try to drink less tea, sheesh,” he muttered. Then he frowned, as he took one of the remaining items and examined it. “Voodoo kits?” He scratched his head, then checked the delivery list again –yes, the foxes got to receive all gift items marked #48. And three items were Ole Yeller’s Voodoo Ceremony Kit.
Drake shrugged and decided he would not inquire. He would just hold his breath, walk in, deliver, and run to take the longest bath ever. Ugh, fox smell was the worse to deal with! He should’ve volunteered to deliver to the kangaroos…

Butch sat on a bench to rest. If there would be a second time, he’d ask to be paired with someone else. Drake wasn’t a bad guy but he could be so irritating! Come on, how could a lawyer’s pet be so snotty?! He was lucky Dad had taught Butch to be always comprehensive, that there was always a reason for one to be like he was.
Not to mention that Dad was an old friend of Drake’s Mom. Daniel Greene Warrick would never tell Butch to behave kindly with Drake out of an obligation, but his son would do his best to help Dad build a new relationship after Mom’s…demise…
Thinking of Mom still hurt. She was very sick – a pancreas tumor, the physicians had called it. When it had been diagnosed, it was too late. They had moved to the High to leave behind a house and a life full of sad memories… But how could Butch forget that? How could he ever forget Mom? Sometimes, he hated Melissa Verde for being so…close to his Dad, but Dad needed someone, and—
“Did you lose your best friend, strong guy?” someone said behind him, making him start. The dog hadn’t even realized he had been crying. He immediately wiped the tears off his face and turned, wondering who—
What happened a moment later surprised him. Not because he didn’t think his heart was an empty well that could never be filled… But because, in the moment his eyes lay on the vixen standing behind the mesh, he felt as if he was standing in front of a goddess!
She was tall, red like fire, her throat and belly of the purest white, without a trace of black. And slit ruby eyes.
She was a goddess of fire, with the most alluring eyes, a fluffy tail and a heavenly scent all around her.
Remotely, Butch’s mind went at the day Dad had told him about his case of love at first sight that had brought him to marry Mom.
He now understood it. Yes.
“Hey, iron dog, the cat with you got your tongue?”
For a terrible moment, Butch was sure he had forgotten everything about sign language! He just shook dumbly his head.
The vixen shrugged. “Okay, so you don’t want to talk to me. Don’t worry, I can live with that.” And on that she walked away…making sure to swish her tail.
Butch bit his lower lip and took his decision: he ran toward the pen’s entrance at full speed, leaving behind a trail of fire! Without stopping, he stole what Drake held in his paw, at the same time pushing him against a fox about to receive his wrapped gift. He didn’t pay attention to the curses both animals threw at him, opened the second security door – or, rather, he passed through it leaving an impression of his running figure and a cloudlet of wood shards.
“My, it looks like I had gotten you wrong,” the vixen said the moment she found the dog in front of her, panting happily and proudly presenting her the anonymous package wrapped in blue ribbon. “And blue, too. I like that color.”
‘Please accept this token of my eternal affection and admiration for your lovely shape and smell!’ Butch gestured wildly, in the equivalent of shouting.
The vixen giggled but took the package anyway. “Dear, I don’t know what you’re trying to tell. Are you deaf-mute?”
Butch facepawlmed and apparently tried to rip off his face –he hadn’t really hated his speech inability…until now! He then shook his head and grabbed his ear, hoping he was explaining clearly enough that he could hear well.
The vixen nodded un understanding. “Oh, good. So, I take it you’re a good listener.”
Butch’s shoulders shook in a mute chuckle. ‘Guess I am…Oh.’ His expression went sad. The worst thing was not that Drake had been right all along, when he told him he’d need a text-to-speech device to ‘talk’, but that in the end the cat had actually talked in his best interest…
Butch then felt a paw over his shoulder. His heart soared, as if an angel had touched him.
“Hey, why the long face? I think you’re a funny guy, I like it. Oh, and by the way, my name is Nusku. What’s yours…ops, sorry!”
Butch gestured her to wait, then phished a smartphone out of his collar. He quickly pressed buttons, his tongue tip sticking in concentration, then showed her the result. My name is Butch Greene. Charmed. Your name is beautiful.
Nuksu laughed. “Well, you know what you want to say to a lady, even if she got a masculine name. Nusku was a god of fire of some ancient civilization. My parents thought it’d fit.”
It does. Sorry for not talking, it’s something I suffer since puphood. I use sign language.
“That much I got, don’t worry. Come, let’s make ourselves comfortable big pup, your legs are shaking already.” She gently grabbed Butch by his arm and guided him toward a big log. He didn’t put up any resistance…

From the corridor leading to the pen, Drake nodded with satisfaction –this was indeed an unexpected and pleasant development. He walked to the group of foxes who were busy turning the place into a dump. The tail of one of them was sticking out the box –apparently, the guy wanted to make sure he hadn’t missed any present from their fans.
“Say,” the Persian cat said, talking to the box.
The fox’s head went up like a furry periscope. “Ya?”
Drake pointed his thumb in the direction of the pen. “Who’s the all-red gal back there, Nusku?”
A collective dreamy sigh answered. Then the fox in the box said, “Nusku? Our forbidden dream. No male has ever been able to conquer her heart. She toys with her wooers and then disposes of them…” another dreamy sigh. “But how sweet it is, to be walked upon by her.”
“You can say that again,” said another male, his limbs still frozen in the gesture of opening his own gift. “I still have her footprints to prove it.” He then turned and showed Drake the double line of prints running across his back. “I will never take a bath again!”
In a moment, Drake’s happiness for his canine friend turned into a sense of pure dread.
This wasn’t good at all! What could he do now? Butch was an overall nice guy and all, but right now he was on cloud 9 –and, honestly, Drake had never seen him so lost for a girl. This could easily turn ugly if Butch decided to insist in his courtship ritual with that diabolical vixen!
What could a poor cat d—
For a moment, Drake’s eyes got the same glint Bino’s did when the dog got one of his best ideas! When in doubt, apply rules!

“…And after the computer exploded on Karishad’s face, he sent me a bouquet of roses to show his appreciation for a better prank.”
Butch was bent in two in laughter. ‘I guess – hehe – it takes one to outsmart one!’
Nusku sighed. “I guess you said something nice, but I expect that from you: you act like a real gentlepet. But why won’t you use your phone since you got it?”
In answer, he punched in a word again, then showed her the screen. Must save battery. This is for emergencies.
“Oh. Well, I guess you are right. Sorry for making you waste energy so far.”
Butch was about to punch in another line, when a paw grabbed his arm.
“And you’ll be even sorrier, if you keep my friend from his duties, lady,” Drake said. To the dog, he added, “Come on, loverboy: we’re supposed to work, not play The Love Zoo.”
‘But, Drake!!’
“No way, José. Do you remember what Clementia said about relationships on working hours? About what Hannibal will do to anyone who violates the regulations?”
As drake had hoped, Butch stopped gesturing, though now he looked like a beaten puppy. He waved goodbye one last time to Nusku before…
Before she followed them outside! “I decided you are interesting, pup. I will help you out in your work. Any problems with that?”
Butch was wagging crazy. Drake was seeing his own death by the steel fangs of Hannibal. “Aside from violating a dozen rules?”
She waved him off. “Aw, didn’t you know, kitty? I’m the zoo mascot. I’m pretty free to go everywhere I please, here.”
Just g-r-e-a-t! Drake thought. How worse could this go?!
Last edited by valerio on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I sure hope things work out between those two. Another great update and twist Valerio. :)
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Silly Drake, don't you know everytime you say that things go apocalipty bad?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

I like the reference to Karishad and also how Butch fell in love with a fox at first sight. Finally one amazing thing: I FINALLY SAW MY CHARACTER FLASH FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE PILOT!!!!!! :mrgreen: and shadow being tackled by the other snow leopards was funny. :lol: Great update as always.
Yes, I am a furry.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Okay, who sends a rabbit into a leopard's den? :roll:

I am calling them the Green pets from now on. Butch and Drake make quite the pair.

Nusku is an interesting vixen. Let us hope she falls for Butch and is not using him.
My characters
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm caught up!!
*Does a victory dance*

Now I can finally comment as the new parts come out.

Poor Shadow, I hope that he can run fast.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
valerio

Post by valerio »

River Ridge City Pound

Do you believe in miracles?
At least once in a lifetime, such a question will be asked to you.
Inevitably, the answer will be ‘no’, unless you’re one individual of faith.
The Maine Coon Tegan Jackson didn’t think of herself as a cat of faith. And as of today she still didn’t.
Yet, today she allowed herself the benefit of doubt: miracles could exist, and she was witnessing one –not a world changing one, granted, but to her and to the other guests of the shelter it meant the world. It gave them hope.
Steve’s parents were back, and he was no longer ‘Delusional’ Steve. His family had come back to pick him up, just as he had said throughout the years, earning that sad nickname.
It was too bad that regulations didn’t allow for a party to be held or a crowd to assemble. From their cages, the guests of the cat section, just like the volunteers from Terrace High – Tegan, Clementia, Tobee, Samson, Sigmund, Athena and Brother Lazarus – watched in silence and tears of joy in their eyes at the scene unfolding.
Two men clad in colorful outfits and hats wrapping their arms around a grey-furred, middle-aged feline with an eye patch on his left eye.
“We’re so sorry, Steve, so sorry for leaving you behind…” one of the men was saying. “Can you forgive us?” he then run a finger delicately over the cat’s eye patch. “Oh God, it must have felt so…” he choked on his own words. According to the shelter’s veterinary, Steve had developed an ophthalmic tumor, luckily a benign one, but removal had been necessary eventually.
It was the cat who patted the man’s back in a consolatory way. “No love lost, Dad. It had been a sore sight anyway… But now, heh, I can help you sell even more cars.” He grinned, speaking as if he hadn’t spent a single day at the shelter. “Enough with the old Braun & Braun & Braun!” His paw traced an imaginary banner. “This time it will be The Pirate! Used cars at a bargain that is a booty! Rahrr! What do you think? I could change the slogan, and the name too, but the pirate theme must stay, it’s the new fad!”
Tony and Arnold Braun exchanged a look, before saying in a meek tone, “Well, son, perhaps those days are over.”
All enthusiasm faded into a crestfallen expression.
Stories from the crisis. Braun & Braun & Braun had been a good car seller, as far as the business went. The Braun brothers were good at their job, but when they needed to strike a difficult deal, they would send in their ace in the hole, a younger and enthusiast Steve. It worked like charm: the cat was great at making people go all ga-ga and put doubts aside. Had Steve been human they would’ve promoted him.
But Steve wasn’t human, and the good days weren’t going to last forever. The crisis was biting harder by the day, potential customers were turning to carpooling and those who would change car even for a used one now learnt to fix their own, making it last.
Tony and Arnold Braun closed their activity, but they couldn’t sell their properties, because by then the real estate market was frozen. They had decided not to file for Chapter 11, though, because they were sure the RE market would allow them to sell at a good bargain.
But that would also eat their saving to pay the taxes, and although Tony and Arnold Braun were two good men, money was not an entity made of love or any other feeling. And the numbers said that Steve was not an asset. It was keeping him and starve together, or leave him to the shelter where he would be taken care of. Luckily, they knew a couple of employees who had stroke a very good bargain with them, and those employees were still grateful. They had accepted to take care of Steve until the Brauns would be back to pick him up.
Tony and Arnold had by then promised Steve they’d be back very soon, and they had meant it… But, Murphy had been watching over them as well. The bank where the two brothers had deposited their money had filed for Chapter 11 two weeks later. After that, the two former car salesmen had to rebuild their life from scraps. Luckily, they knew something about the cars they used to sell, and that allowed them to apply for a job in an auto repairs shop.
It had taken time, patience, but eventually they did it. After so many misfortunes, the one single stroke of luck happened: the son of an old customer needed their services for his car, or rather his mother’s car…after nearly totaling it against a tree (“I swear, that thing was just standing there to get me, and I had drunk only one Long Island Iced Tea!). He promised them that if they fixed it so that she looked brand new, they’d get a job at his company. No questions asked…
“…And so, here we are,” Tom was saying, holding Steve’s shoulder, his eyes still red with tears. “We don’t sell used cars anymore, but we still got to use our talent, and the pay is good.”
Steve was simply too happy to care about that. His certainties had been repaid, his trust was founded, he was back with his family. If they told him they were working as janitors in a lowlife hotel, he’d still follow them and help them cleaning even if he got only his tongue to do that!
And yet, he couldn’t help asking, “And what do you sell?”
The two men exchanged an embarrassed look, before Arnold answered, “Ah, we work in a bank, now. We sell stocks, grant loans…” he hadn’t the courage to go on.
Steve looked from one man to the other, blinking his eyes with a stupefied expression…before busting out in a laugh! “Oh dear Tabby I can’t believe it! Ohohohoh, talk about ‘deal with the devil’!” If he was crying with hilarity or just because he was happy to be with his family again, well, it didn’t matter right now. When he had calmed down enough, he said, “You know what? Let’s just go home now. I miss your pancakes…” Then he regarded them with suspicion. “You do have my favorite syrup at home, do you?”
Both men nodded, as they stood up. “Enough of it to take a bath in it, Steve,” Arnold said. “Now come, we took two days off and we want to spend them with you.”
Steve nodded. “Fine. But first let me give my goodbyes to Tegan and the others. I fear I won’t be seeing her again… But where are we moving, by the way? It’s not a trailer, is it? You know, I developed a sort of allergy to enclosed spaces in these years and I really hate cots.”
In answer, Tom produced a business card from his pocket. It read,

C & G FINANCIAL GROUP
Thomas & Arnold Braun, Financial Advisors
Level 1, Terrace High, 1 Compton Dr.
37139 River Ridge, TN, USA (1)
990–484-8444
333 - 2916867 – Thomas Braun
333 – 2916868 – Arnold Braun
t-a.braun@CG_FG.com
(1) The author reserves the right to change the geographical references in accordance with Rick Griffin’s Housepets! Webcomic. Thank you.

Steve spent a couple of minutes just examining that card in every detail, admiring the golden eagle logo behind the text. Heck, he had thought their old B&B&B business card looked neat, but this one could draw clients just at first sight!
“Terrace High…” The cat muttered. “Say, Teggy, isn’t it where you liv—ACK!” A moment later, Tegan was on him, hugging him with enough force to make his bones creak!
“Welcome to my Club! You’ll be our mascot and we’ll do a lot of fun things together!”
“Glad to. What about surviving, first?”
---
Noah’s Ark Biopark, Terrace High

“Why me, Flash?” Shadow asked, a frown creasing his brow.
The snow leopard cocked his head at the black rabbit. “What do you mean?”
“I mean, why a rabbit in a leopard’s den? Mr. Gordon specifically came to me and asked me to go clean your place.”
Flash nodded, smiling happily. “Oh, because I like rabbits!”
“As appetizers or as toys?”
“No, as…rabbits. Rabbits are all cute and funny and fluffy and for some reason they smell like cotton and hay to me. I see a lot of pets coming and going, but very few rabbits, and the only one I know from Terrace High was a cute, white-furred nervous thing. I mean, in the sense she got a real attitude. I loved that in a girl.” The snow leopard’s tail swished and he gave out a short purr.
“Hey! Her name’s Jasmine and she’s my girlfriend for you—And watch that raspy tongue!”
The big feline had actually started licking Shadow’s face. “Whoops, sorry! But I never felt a rabbit’s fur.”
Shadow sighed. “Let’s strike a deal, here: you let go of me now and I’ll let you sniff. But please do it quickly. The blood accumulating in my head is killing me.”
Flash nodded. “Sorry again.” He unsheathed his claws and cut the rope the rabbit was hanging from. Shadow fell right into the feline’s arms. A moment later, Flash was sniffing him like a gourmet with a delicacy. It did not help Shadow to feel at ease! “Flash!”
“Sor—“
“And stop saying that!”
“Dad taught me to be polite!” Again, the leopard showed that proud, funny smile –as if he had been a kitten grown up in a pampered environment, not the son of the Hymalaian Mountains… And that thought caused Shadow to ask him, “Ah, mind if I ask you where you’re from?”
Flash chuckled. “I’m from this zoo, silly.”
I’ll be needing a cachet after this! “I mean, where were you born?”
This time, Flash regarded Shadow as if he wasn’t sure he was dealing with a rational being. “I’m from this zoo. I told you. Dad wanted to make me the mascot, but the Director chose Nusku.”
Let’s make it two. “Oh. Is ‘Dad’ the chief veterinarian?”
“Of course! Would you rather help a female giving birth?”
Three should do it. “So… You never hunted for your food?”
Flash shrugged. “I saw how they do it in documentaries – once I happened on the mating program, Dad was very upset – and…” He made a face. “Ew! I can’t believe how gross it is! Not to mention someone could get hurt! You know, cute bunny, when I think about that I’m happy that I’m too sick to be reintroduced to the wild like my housemates here.” Like almost all zoos, the animals weren’t prisoners. Some of them volunteered to perform for shelter and easy food, others were just born here and raised until they were of age to be reintroduced into the wild.
Shadow dared to pat the feline’s shoulder. “Well, I hope you get to be adopted, at least. It must be boring to spend the time in a cage.”
Flash shook his head. “Not at all. I like to interact with all the visitors and perform for them. Not to mention that I like a predetermined set of rules to follow. It must be so stressing for you pets to find something to do all day long!”
I need a drugstore!
---
Usually, Zane Cabana spent a minute or two a week to curse the fat that had put a black Labrador as housemate. There was not another species that would combine in such a manic perfection the need for speed and the will to play, the brownish cat would say to himself before collapsing into a coma-like slumber.
Right now, he was happy he had been so thoroughly trained! “Hah! Beat you again!”
It was the four of them: he, T.J., and two otters. Two hyperactive otters with more energy to spend than Errol had –a violation of biology laws in itself!
The four animals had been playing softball for the last three hours, not allowing themselves a pause. The otters were the local champions, they’d eat their tails off rather than lose against two…pets!
Zane just wanted to prove to those two arrogant, sleek river-dwellers that no one could call him a softie and get away with it!
T.J. was simply too happy to unleash his energies without restrictions. In fact, he was having the day of his life! “So,” he said, panting like a submachine gun, “Who’s in for another round?” he bounced the yellow ball against the floor a couple of times with his gloved paw.
Outside in their pen, Zukio and Koko were laying in a heap on the river of their pond to cool off. Zukio, who was laying on top of his friend, had barely the strength to open an eye. “We surrender. Please, enough of that! Better eternal dishonor than another minute of…this!”
Koko grunted something before going back to snore.
Outside the pen, some visitors were busy taking picture of the exhausted pair and going daww!, thinking the animals were just performing cute.
“Aw,” T.J. said, with a sad face. Zane pumped his arm. “Yes! We iz daddies!” He then grabbed the Labrador’s arm. “Let’s get going, Duracell-boy. We must ask Hannibal what’s our next assignment. You know, I’m starting to like this volunteer thing.”

Once they were out of the otters pen, someone called to them. “Hey, guys, need some help here.”
Zane turned and, sure as life, there was his not-so-friend Drake Verde, together with his friend, Butch –or, rather, dragging him as if the Boxer’s arm had been a leash. Zane wondered how could that big Boxer lug put up with the Persian. Cat or not, Drake was one snotty, almost obnoxious pet: only cause his Mom was a good pet rights lawyer didn’t mean he was better than his peers!
Now, Zane and T.J.’s Dad worked directly for Gottschalk! And he wasn’t certainly being all uppity-and-mighty about it! “And how could I be of disservice?” Zane asked in a mock, syrupy tone.
“Quit it, man! I got a class-A problem here: Butch had just fallen in love like the hormone-crazed pup he is, and since we’re talking about way Romeo & Juliet here, and since I would like to keep my fur attached to my body and since I care for Butch’s general health as well, you two are going to help us go home without Hannibal getting upset. Got it?”
Zane blinked a couple of times. Even T.J. was at a loss for words. “I’d get it if you started talking like you knew the language,” the brownish tabby said. “Okay, so Butch has fallen for one of the she-wolves, or the Cape she-dogs? It’s not as if he jumped into the pen and kidnapped one to marry…” He eyed Butch with suspicion. “Right?”
“It’s a bit worse, actually,” Drake said, and dragged Butch aside…this revealing the red vixen standing behind him.
Now, to understand what happened right after that, you must remember that Zane, just like the other three pets present in this tableau, was a member of the Love for Life Social Club. Said Club had been founded by Tegan Jackson both to create a friendly environment for the pets of The Fulcrum, so that they spent more time together and outside rather than losing themselves in their homes because of the e-temptations at disposal, and to allow interspecies romance to blossom without shame or embarrassment. The LFL was meant to help out those who wanted to express their…appreciation outside the species barrier, much like the Common Life Society Club back at Babylon Gardens.
T.J. knew where Zane’s preferences lay, but he had always been quite open-minded about it, wishing his cat friend all the best in finding an appropriate mate, though it was also true that Zane’s taste were a bit…exotic.
Today, Zane was sure he had hit jackpot! “Oy mama!” he muttered, as if his neurons had just short-circuited. His tail swished like a snake on caffeine. He found himself purring like an engine as he examined that…fiery specimen, with those wonderful slit ruby eyes.
“Why,” Nusku said, feigning to cover herself with her big fluffy tail in modesty. “Someone else here got good taste as well.”
Butch understood what had just happened, and he started baring his teeth at his rival!
Zane didn’t care. He was in love, and nothing would stand between him and his goal!
T.J. was all ‘Dawww!’ like a fangirl. Drake was biting into his own arm –this couldn’t be happening! T.J. and Zane were supposed to help him to get that crazy love-ridden vixen off his friend’s back, not to start a Duello d’onore over her!
“Do you like cats, o angel of fire and wonder?” Zane asked.
She approached him and used a claw to scratch him under his throat. “I like those who like me. What about you? Is my kind that interesting for you?”
Zane nodded, a new fire in his eyes. A moment later, he pulled out his trusty guitar from behind his back! He was grinning. “I wrote a song about foxes, wanna hear it?”
Apparently, that display was enough to kill Butch’s expectations. The poor dog, his eyes downcast, touched his throat, cursing once again his inability to speak. He couldn’t sing a song for his beautiful vixen!
Drake was divided: part of him was just happy for that much unexpected twist! This was going to be Zane’s problem and so long. On the other side, Butch looked as if he had been repeatedly kicked around, and the poor guy didn’t really deserve it… And Drake was Butch’s friend, he had a duty to help him out when the dog needed him…
Zane had just started touching the guitar’s chords, when Drake said, “Hold it, tomboy!”
The first, sweet notes twisted into a Ploinng! Zane looked with hatred at the Persian. “What? You want to sue me? Go to a justice!”
Drake flashed him a grin. “No. I want you to compete honestly for the heart of this lady. What do you say?”
Zane growled. “I say that there’s no competition! I don’t like her only because she’s a female, but also because I love vixen at large! She’s my kind of girl, and since she can prance around in this park, I’m gonna fight for her like any good cat should do!” He turned to Butch. “Step aside, flea-ridden creature. You may have seen her first, but I can appreciate her better! You don’t want to mess with a lovesick cat!”
Butch assumed an aggressive stance as well. He didn’t need to gesture he was ready to fight as well. This was his first chance at true happiness in his life since Mom died and he wasn’t going to let it go!
Drake stepped between the two competitors, placing his paws against their chest. “Ookay, I think this is not what I had in mind for a starter.” The problem was, he had no idea of what to do now! He had just improvised with the ‘honest competition’ idea, hoping to buy time. Desperate, the Persian looked at T.J. ‘Now what?’ he mouthed with panic in his eyes. He felt as if he was in a blender, with the switch about to be turned on!
T.J. thought about it for a moment, then he snapped his fingers! “I got it! It’s the perfect solution!”
That got the general attention. “Speak up,” Zane said. “And it better be something to my advantage, or I’ll make you sing like Farinelli!”
Unaware of the implicit threat, T.J. shook his head. “It’s easy: Butch will write a song for the vixen, and Zane will sing it, so that both can prove their artistic value. She will decide after hearing. What do you say?”
Cat and dog looked at the Black Labrador with demonic eyes. Nusku, instead, rubbed her chin and said, “You know? I like it, dog. I’ve seen so much violence already, this will be a nice change. And I’m sure that my strong doggie got just the heart to write the most beautiful of poems.” She rubbed the Boxer’s back. Butch did a Japanese raspberry at Zane.
The cat was fuming. I so know where I’ll put my claws before the next sunrise..! “Don’t try to fly too high, Icarus: my voice will melt your wings.”
“Is this a private party, or can I join in?” asked a new voice. A kind voice, even amused… If you could consider ‘kind and amused’ among the traits of a shark.
T.J., evidently unable to feel fear, waved to the newcomer. “Oh, hi there Hooch!”
Hannibal ‘Psycho’ Bates flashed a predatory grin to the other dog. The black-furred Alsatian decided he’d kill T.J. later for demeaning his nickname. For now, he had more urgent matters to take care of. “I don’t remember you guys asking for a love leave. Care to elaborate, before I rip your furs into ribbons?”
Butch and Drake gulped noisily. T.J. was about to answer, but Zane clenched his muzzle shut. “We were just, ah, taking a break after all this work, and we happened into this nice vixen. Nothing against the rules, after all she is the one out of her pen, right?” He tried a toothy friendly grin.
“Hmph,” Hannibal scoffed. “She’s the mascot, so she has some extra privileges. Anyway, I was looking for you to tell you that your shift’s over. The Direction thanks you and hopes to see you again. Go the cafeteria and grab something to eat, it’s on the house. And as for you…” The Alsatian walked to the vixen. “Stop toying with our volunteers, chica. Remember who’s the man of the house here.” He kissed her nose tip.
Nusku made a pout, but one could see she was just moment from giggling. "Aw, mi amor, you're no fun at all, you know it?"
Butch and Zane looked aghast at that scene. “B-but…” the cat tried to say.
Hannibal shrugged. “What? I met her on my first shift and I called dibs. Any problem with that?”
Zane and Butch exchanged a knowing glance and nodded at each other.
This meant war!

SEASON III
Episode 8
FIN
Last edited by valerio on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

YAY!!

We get to see more of Steve!!

Also, someone needs to teach that fox a lesson, how can she be like that?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

JeffCvt wrote:YAY!!

We get to see more of Steve!!

Also, someone needs to teach that fox a lesson, how can she be like that?
I can find some medieval tortures for the fox.
I can't wait for the next update.
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Phone numbers in The States take the format of (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Where (NNN) is the area code. Would have used X instead of N but... >.>

Alternatively, removing of parenthesis NNN-NNN-NNNN

:3
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
valerio

Post by valerio »

edited phone number. thank you
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Daww so happy for Steve! :D Another great update Valerio.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I have never liked the tricycles...

I wonder were this roller coaster will take us now.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Oh no... love war happening? Things are about to get ugly around here.

Hope she ends up falling for someone herself, knowing what the feeling is like. I have met people like that.... not pretty on the inside. :?

Delusional Steve is coming to Terrace High. Yay!
My characters
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I like the otters' names, especially Koko's.
Nusku seems to love attention.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

got caught up. I wonder who'll win the love war.

one thing, I;m pretty sure the U.S. has a system in place so that when a bank goes under, the patrons are guaranteed to get back anything they put into the bank.
the bank going bankrupt wouldn't make the Braun's have to start from scratch.
unless I'm misremembering how the Federal Reserve System works, but I think it was made this way to avoid what happened in the Great Depression.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

that would be about right, but it shouldn't happen if they had a mortgage to pay for.
valerio

Post by valerio »

HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES
Season III
Episode 9 – Festival!
By VALERIO

Outside the World Theater of Arts, Terrace High.

“Was that a…piece?” the Pug asked the larger white-furred female walking next to him. As usual, he had to move at a trot to keep up with her stride.
Kabuki Theater, Linus-kun” the Akita Inu said. She was also dressing a colored ceremonial kimono that covered her down to her feet. It brushed with an eerie rustle against the grass blades. “The most notable traditional expressive art from my country.”
Linus shook his head. “It explains your general weirdness, Tsuki dear. Including this…” he patted his own kimono “this stuff. Luckily it’s still cool enough, or I’d be toasting. Do we have to wear it?”
Tsuki nodded. “Only those who adhered to celebrate it in its fullest. Voluntary basis.”
Linus grunted. “You looked as if you wanted to kill us if I didn’t wear a kimono.”
She nodded. “I said ‘voluntary’, not ‘without consequences’.”
Linus sighed in mock resignation –‘mock’ being the word. The Love for Life Social Club had gladly accepted to help Tsuki prepare the stage for the first Doll Festival of Terrace High. And that included wearing kimonos.
So far, though, it had been fun. Lots of colors, music, and many people and pets celebrating together. The novelty had caught on quickly: because, many thought, even in an opportunity-filled place like Terrace High, when it came to entertainment, one wanted to try something different. And Hina Matsuri was something different…
There was one thing that made Linus puzzled –and not only him among the Club’s members. “You look…happy. Since your Mom told you that Light escaped from the Lucky Charm Grove, you’re acting as if he’s going to make a break-in here to bring you flowers.”
Tsuki chuckled. “I am happy because, whatever Light-kun’s plan is, he has a purpose now. He’s again in control. I do not care if he decided never to come back, but it’s better like this. I prefer to lose him to his own path, rather than see him rotting in a room, tormented by his demons.”
Linus shrugged. “Suit yourself, lady. Me, I’d rather eat those hishimochi1 your Mom prepared. Seeing those actors moving on the stage made me hungry.”
A vein pulsed on the Akita’s brow. “You dishonor my cultural heritage.”
“Not at all. For example, my other Dad is English, but I would never waste my time looking at Shakespeare. Except when P.R. need me to.”
“So, did you come with me as a matter of public relations?”
Linus shook his head. “No! I came with you as a matter of personal relation. I like you, girl, and I think you deserve better than that wild wolf you dream about.”
Tsuki looked sincerely amused, while she kept her paws inside the folds of her ample sleeves. “Oh, and what do you have he has not?”
Linus pointed at his own eyes. “First, I got polychromic orbs. Girls love it! Second, thanks to my Dads’ job I get to know the coolest humans and their pets. Third, I am the spice you need in your life! Come on, you wouldn’t be dating me on a regular basis if it wasn’t true!”
Tsuki rolled her eyes. “I don’t like stereotypes, but for one so small you surely have a great ego.”
Linus tapped his mind. “A great mind, lady. That’s what they love about me.” He giggled. “But enough with my humble self: how are going the sales for this festival? You said your Mom invested a lot in it.”
Tsuki nodded, this time adding a wag of her bushy, curly tail. “Couldn’t go better. We sold everything, from the costumes to the dolls, to the house decorations. As you might have noticed, we sold out the show’s tickets—“
“That doesn’t count: we’re in America, lady. Even a televangelist will sell out.”
“I’m beginning to fear you have a death-wish.”
“No. I’m a dog of good taste living in a world where ‘taste’ is barely associated with food nowadays.”
---
Ancient Roads Spice Shop, Commercial Area, the Fulcrum

“You sure we didn’t hallucinate?” asked the minuscule female mouse from the head fur of the Basenji dog.
Kwesi shook his head no. “She spoke.” He prodded the cat-like statue with a finger. The thing kept being immobile, its eyes closed in a quiet slumber. Creepy stuffed cat, Kwesi had called it, but then ‘Ali’ had spoken to him and Saga.
Ali had said she had mastered the art of cat nap. Nothing could disturb her. And, apparently, she was right. The shop was a beehive of activity, today, more so than usual.
Eventually, the dog let it go and turned his attention to a woman standing undecided in front of a row of Japanese spices. “May I help you, ma’am?” This was his great occasion to prove himself worth of working for the shop! The owner Mr. Sandor was really busy. Showing a remarkable knowledge of the world of spices, he had bought what the Fulcrum’s restaurants needed to dress their specialties for the festival, not to mention what dozen of improvised oriental home cooks would need to give an exotic taste to their dishes.
And if Kwesi was going to be as helpful as he had promised, Alandra would be proud of him!
“Stop thinking love thoughts,” Saga whispered in his hear, taking care of hiding to the sight. Many customers wouldn’t really appreciate a mouse in a place dealing with foods. “You are heating up too much for my tastes.”
---
The Hexagon Park

“HINA MAAATSURI!” said the two dogs, tearing up with joy, with a girlie squeal.
They stood in front of the biggest display ever. Seven platforms depicting the Imperial Court with dolls, tools, clothing, foods and vegetables. They looked so perfect, the two canines wanted to hug them!
One of them was a brown-furred Dachshund. His eyes were wide as saucers. “They also added the right perfumes and such cutie bonsai! And look at the samurais.” He pointed at the fifth platform where three human and three animal figures stood.
“Divided by rank and task, together with their trusty assistants” added the young dog with a perfect circular spot around his left eye. His heart was beating fast. He sighed. “I can’t wait to see what this Miyugi will put up with the next holiday!”
“I love her already.”
One could’ve found that reaction a bit…exaggerated, but the humans and pets looking puzzled at the kimono-clad dogs didn’t exactly know “Joey! Lester! What a nice surprise!”
That voice was the only one that could distract Fido’s and Bino’s little brother. “Teggie!” Joey turned and ran to hug the Maine Coon. “Yay! I’m so happy to see you!”
The cat, who in turn was wearing a nice blue and gold cloth, returned the dog’s hug. “You make a lousy liar, Joey. You’re happy to be here.” She looked around, some worry creeping into her voice. “Where’s Blanche?” Blanche Bigglesworth was Joey’s fiancée, not to mention the member of a big family of cats with an…eccentric attitude. To say the least.
Joey shook his head. “Relax, Teg: Blanche decided that the Doll Festival is boring…” He thought again. “Well, she thinks it is, since Lester here said he’d join me.”
Tegan nodded in relief. If there was someone nerdier than Joey about Japanese culture, that was Lester. The Dachshund was…obsessive in his interest. Having him around was like hiring a tutor; it tended to ward off the other friends of Joey. Including his beloved cat.
Lester scoffed in his typical manner. “Hmph, you’d deserve better than that uncultured creature!”
Joey rolled his eyes, mouthing Not again!
“I’m talking in your interest, man! There is that nice creature, May: she is a cat and she loves Japan, what could be wrong with that?!”
Joey rubbed his fingers between his eyes. “How many times do I have to tell you I will not select my girlfriends basing on fandom?”
"Yeah, said the one who'd marry Peanut only because he got the gut to disclose his cat-loving thing."
"Don't you dare to mock Peanut!" Joey growled.
Tegan stepped between them. “Guys, please, this is a joyful day. You will not spoil it in some senseless brawling!” She knew she had said the wrong thing in the moment she saw Joey doing that expression again.
“’Senseless’..?” Lester looked as indignant as a dog could look. “Lady, do you realize the importance of a proper cultural background, when it will come to raising a family?”
Joey blushed like a cherry. “Lester!” Tegan gasped on a chuckle. The Dachshund went on. “I mean it! You can’t and you won’t turn your puppies into mindless franchising zombies! And if her will prevail as I fear, and it will be kittens, then you will have to stand as the male of the house!” Lester slapped his fist against his palm, his grin of determination something sinister to behold. When he was done, he was panting as if after a long exertion.
Now his two friends were scared. Joey gulped. “Ah, Les? I told you already, I will remain the Club’s President and I will keep being the game master for our D&D sessions. Really.”
The brown-furred dog nodded. “Good. Try to remember it.”
Tegan put a paw on each of their shoulders. “Why don’t we try to relax and enjoy a show, instead? My boyfriend put up a thing to pay homage to this noblest cultural heritage.” She grinned at Lester. Lester smiled in approval. Whew.
---
Coliseum Sports Center

The great gym hall didn’t usually include music players, but given the occasion it would have been somehow…disrespectful, to use loudspeakers with a recorded musical background.
For now, the five-elements orchestra stood immobile, sitting in a corner designed to spread their sound in the most optimal way. The hall had been redesigned to look like an ancient training hall from an age long gone but never forgotten. Red-laquered wood, incense, bamboo and rice paper walls decorated with paintings and ideograms. No mats on the wooden floor
The public assisted from a small amphitheater. For now, talking was still allowed. When the show would begin, a respectful silence would be required of the public.

Upon seeing her President, Isaac waved to her and her friends. He pointed at the empty seats at his sides.
Tegan, Joey and Lester took their place. “I thought you were busy serving at The Treat, Bolt,” she said in a low tone.
That nickname was easy to catch on the Tamaskan dog: Isaac was a total Bolt buff, he had a black bolt tag hanging from his collar, and everyone knew he had bought fur paint to look like his hero for the next Halloween.
Isaac shook his head. “Nah, I asked for a leave.” He pointed at the stage with both arms. “I mean, man! I want to make sure to participate to every J-culture festival from here on.”
Lester looked impressed at Isaac. “Are you a member of the LFL Club, ah..?”
The Tamaskan offered his paw. “Isaac ‘Bolt’ Piave. And yes, I’m a member.”
Lester shook. “I didn’t imagine there was a true lover of the greatest culture in this place. So many humans and pets will only try to imitate a custom to show off. And tell me, do you also appreciate anime?”
Isaac grinned. “Heh, I was raised with bread, books and anime. My holy trinity is Tezuka, Nagai and Matsumoto.”
Lester hugged Isaac as if the Tamaskan was the most precious and prettiest of girls. “Mine!”
The other dog was perplexed. To Joey, he asked, “Is he always like that?”
The younger dog shook his head. “Oh, no. Today he is happy.”

“I didn’t imagine you were into Kendo, Lana dear” said a male ferret from the smartphone.
The female mustelid sighed. “Keene, with due respect, you think I’m only into butter cakes and charity events. Come on, when was the last time you attended something cultural?”
“Hey! I’m into a lot of culture, my dear! Remember it was me who put up that History of the Money exposition!”
“You used your own collection to show off and impress Carmen and Dolores,” Lana Milton whispered angrily, not wanting to give Keene the satisfaction of being the first to scream. “Jeeves was forced to play the custodian, and you paid Mr. Steward’s family and our staff to pretend to be the visitors!”
Keene rolled his eyes as he cleaned his sunglasses. “Lanny—“
“Call me that again and I’ll sick our uncles on you. And I don’t mean those parasites who pretend to be long-lost relatives.”
The male ferret scoffed. “Fine, Lana. But seriously, you couldn’t expect me to let a bunch of strangers to get near to my collection! And of course I used that to impress those two sweet babes! Postage stamps are so démodé!”
Lana just closed the communications. At that moment, the music started playing –two shinobue or transverse flutes, a koto or long zither, Hyoshigi – the classical bamboo clappers – and a kakko drum.
The public fell silent as the music went on in a lento. Then the rice paper doors slid open, and the master, followed by his two students, stepped into the dojo.
Both students being dogs.
One of them being Samson.

1 - Diamond-shaped rice cakes
valerio

Post by valerio »

For future references:

Starting north and clockwise, these are the six vertices of the Hexagon, after I gave it a second thought on arrangement:

The Coliseum Sports Center, which now includes the manege.
The World Theater of Arts
The Amadeus Mozart Concert Hall
The Noah's Ark Biopark
The Gaea's Greenhouse
The Omnibus Hall Museum

This disposition has been corrected into the Season's Pilot.
Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by valerio on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Looks good Valerio. :3 Tsuki seems to be taking the news surprisingly well.
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
valerio

Post by valerio »

Edited.
Thank you.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Joey, you must always pick someone whose fandom is at least compatible with yours.
It's star wars vs star trek all over again.
WhiskeyMutt

Post by WhiskeyMutt »

Best. Fanfic. Ever.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

WhiskeyMutt wrote:Best. Fanfic. Ever.
Seconded!

I love many many others, but this is my favourite.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

This is my favorite too.

And not just for the fast updates.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

JeffCvt wrote:This is my favorite too.

And not just for the fast updates.