The Legend of Korra

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Psykeout

The Legend of Korra

Post by Psykeout »

THE LEGEND OF KORRA
The spinoff miniseries based on Avatar: The Last Airbender is no longer being officially being hosted by Nickelodeon here. You can not watch the first two episodes there.

Discussion thread OH YES BABY.

If you enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender, you will most probably like this IT IS VERY GOOD in Psyke's opinion. It captured the world and the atmosphere of the original series, while telling a fresh and exiting story with lots to love.

MY PERSONAL PROS AND CONS HERE WE GO I'M SO EXCITED CAN YOU TELL.
Pros:
-The central conflict. GAWD this is a good central conflict. Korra needs to realize her destiny as the avatar to bring peace and balance back to the city, while fighting the Anti-Bending Revolution IT'S A VERY GOOD CONFLICT. It's not about an evil guy we have to fight it's a real life political problem about people and society and stuff SO GOOD.
The character conflicts are great to! Korra's internal struggle and the strained relationships we see are VERY ENGAGING.
-The characters. A GREAT CAST OF CHARACTERS. If you're worried that the cast would be full of expies, (characters that are just copies of earlier characters) then you should definitely not fear. They're all great. Particularly, there is Tenzin, a serious and wise, but loving, teacher and father; His three children, very believable child characters with awesome personalities and designs; Bo-lin, a charismatic Pro-bender; and more wonderful people.
-The animation. I can confirm they have taken the stops and then pulled them out! All of them, in fact. Bending for example. The four styles were each modeled after a type of martial art. In TLoK, they have introduced modern flair into the bending arts, producing a sort of "Fire boxing" and such. Very cool very great. Dynamic scenes and interesting character designs and locations. They clearly care about this just as much as they cared about A:TLA.
The music is also good!
I would also like to dispel a worry some people have. It IS steampunk, but the atmosphere feels just like the original series, and it's all very played down. I've seen cars and radios. Also a flying thing in the distance in one shot, kind of like a blimp. "Steampunk" is less a good word for it, so much as "slightly more modern"
Cons:
-The central conflict has one nitpick. It is hinted at that there may be some sort of bad guy.
THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD CONFLICT IT DIDN'T NEED A BADGUY IT WAS JUST ABOUT PEOPLE LEARNING AND GROWING AS PEOPLE SO THEY COULD HELP SOLVE PROBLEMS LIKE OPPRESSION IN SOCIETY and then it turns out it might be about a bad guy, which disappoints.
-Makko seems just to be a "Second, less angry, less angsty Zuko." or not. I don't know, it's not horrible.
-The dialogue. It's often very wooden and oddly paced. It's not TERRIBLE, but it's my biggest complaint I think, because it can be really distracting!
The main character also could be a little more interesting, but it's only been two episodes, and I think she's mainly suffering from the sub-par dialogue.

SO YES GO WATCH IT IT'S REALLY PRETTY IMPRESSIVE IT'S A MUST FOR ANY AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER FANS.
Last edited by Psykeout on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bwah bwah
RootsofOrigin

Re: The Legend of Korra

Post by RootsofOrigin »

I'm spasming over here.
Psykeout wrote:Also a flying thing in the distance in one shot, kind of like a blimp.
I believe that is a zeppelin.
Psykeout wrote:Makko seems just to be a "Second, less angry, less angsty Zuko."
Mako hasn't actually shown any signs of repressed aggression or impatience like Zuko. In fact, he's really calm and collected. He's the exact opposite of Zuko, and is actually more like Mai. I'm not saying he's their son though, since his brother Bolin is actually an earthbender. Unless he's his adoptive brother, or they just consider each other brothers, in which case, it could be possible. And Bolin could be Sokka's and Suki's son okay I'm done.
Psykeout wrote:IT'S REALLY PRETTY IMPRESSIVE IT'S A MUST FOR ANY AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER FANS.
Flameo, hotman. OH BOY THIS IS SO FREAKING AWESOME THOSE EPISODES WERE GREAT I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE REST I CAN'T EVEN *faints from lack of air*

Mod Edit: Please do not double-post. If you need to add new information to a thread and yours is the most recent post, use the edit button in your post's upper-right corner.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

From the previous deleted thread:
I have to say I was a little bothered by the "advanced technolgy" they had in the episode. Granted, it's like 70~80 years into the future maybe (I didn't catch if they mentioned any timeline...) also, it's worth mentioning that they had tanks, battleships, explosives, rudimentar flying machines back in the "Aang time" so it isn't that much of a stretch top include cars, but it feels weird and out of place. Maybe it recquires some get use to.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

angelusbr wrote:I have to say I was a little bothered by the "advanced technolgy" they had in the episode. Granted, it's like 70~80 years into the future maybe
They did say it as 70 years in the future. Is it wrong to say Republic City looks like New York?
angelusbr wrote:Maybe it recquires some get use to.
I don't know, the gap seems large enough for cars and radio to be acceptable. It's kind of like the mid-20th century.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Well, of you think about it, they were in a war for 100 years before hand.
Durring war time, I'm sure protecting your nation takes priority over building cars and radios for the general public.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Athodyd

Post by Athodyd »

We went from this to this in just 50 years, and that without any magic.

70 years are a long old time.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Agreeing with Athodyd. 70+ years is plenty of time to develop such things. Especially since they had already introduced the basic concepts for all of them in the first series. The only difference is that they were all powered via bending back then.

Psyke pretty well covered my thoughts on things, so I won't repeat all of that. Suffice to say, I'm enjoying this very much so far. The characters who've been introduced are all worthy replacements to the original cast, and I look forward to seeing how the rest of this series plays out. :)
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I see. I think you guys are right. But for some reason such technology doesn't sit well within me. But it can provide soem interesting plot points (technology vs bending). At first I thought this series would be a repeat of X-men's plot, but now I see I'm wrong. in this case, benders are the majority. And this will cause some interesting conflicts here.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Anyone else unsettled by Tenzin's son, the one with the misshapen head? He goes crazy after Korra pyronates her training exercise.
And those eyes stare into my soul, but not in the good way, he knows something.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Oh my goodness! I about died laughing when Korra flips out on Tenzin and then Tenzin's son is just like, "Yeah, you're a terrible teacher, dad! Wrraaaa!" And he starts flipping random bits of wood all over the place, laughing the whole way.

I thought that was one of the most humorous bits between the two episodes. x3
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

GRAAAAA!!!! You've got to be kidding me. I'm watching it again and I realized that they pulled off a mind schmelting teaser. Katara was going to explain what happened to Zuko's mom and then one of Tenzin's children interrupts! Oh so cruel... :(
TheSilentChoice

Post by TheSilentChoice »

RootsofOrigin wrote:GRAAAAA!!!! You've got to be kidding me. I'm watching it again and I realized that they pulled off a mind schmelting teaser. Katara was going to explain what happened to Zuko's mom and then one of Tenzin's children interrupts! Oh so cruel... :(
I don't think you're the only one who raged at that. It was bad enough they teased about it in the end of the original Avatar: The Last Airbender, but they had to salt the wound.

I hope they eventually tell what happened to his mother. It is a small detail, but based on what I've seen. She might have had an impact from behind the scenes...like the unseen character in many shows and movies. I can't wait :D
Needless~ (By Me)
We laughed at him because he was different,
He laughed at us because we were the same,
We chided him for his mind,
He chided us for ours were all the same,
We will never laugh the same way again,
He will never laugh again.
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

I'm hoping they'll do flashbacks to events that took place after the first series. I kind of expect this to happen if Korra ever reaches into the spirit world and meets Aang. But it may take a while before they approach this, since it seems Korra has no sense for the spiritual side of bending.
TheSilentChoice

More importantly...I want to know who Amon is. My guess is they will reveal it around the end of the first book :/
Needless~ (By Me)
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Sad news. The link no longer leads to the first two episodes of The Legend of Korra. :(
Although not entirely upsetting, it only leads to an Avatar newsfeed now.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Who else spotted 'Pokemon battle field" in the second episode.
TheSilentChoice

angelusbr wrote:Who else spotted 'Pokemon battle field" in the second episode.
O.O Wut. *rewatches episode for Pokemon Battlefield*
Needless~ (By Me)
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to find the episodes. :|
TheSilentChoice

RootsofOrigin wrote:I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to find the episodes. :|
http://anilinkz.com/avatar-the-legend-o ... -episode-1

Viola! Enjoy.
Needless~ (By Me)
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

TheSilentChoice wrote:
angelusbr wrote:Who else spotted 'Pokemon battle field" in the second episode.
O.O Wut. *rewatches episode for Pokemon Battlefield*
The overview of the arena reminded me of a pokeball...
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

TheSilentChoice wrote:Viola!
I much prefer the sound of violins and cellos, but I respect your right to be enthusiastic about whatever instrument you like.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

KJOokami wrote:
I much prefer the sound of violins and cellos, but I respect your right to be enthusiastic about whatever instrument you like.
You make me laugh.

Is it weird that I'm already shipping Korra and Mako?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

nah, everyone is.
PERSONALLY I don't like that ship because
you know
BOLIN
WOW LOOK AT HIM.
bwah bwah
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

TheSilentChoice wrote: http://anilinkz.com/avatar-the-legend-o ... -episode-1

Viola! Enjoy.
Aaaaahhhhh!!! Thank you! :o
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Psykeout wrote:nah, everyone is.
PERSONALLY I don't like that ship because
you know
BOLIN
WOW LOOK AT HIM.
Yeah, gotta admit, he's pretty...you know, BOLIN.
TheSilentChoice

KJOokami wrote:
Despite my enthusiasm, I have not yet mastered any of the above instruments. But if sound is any indication of progress, I am making TONS of that.

I can only play Piano and a few brass insturments such as the trumpet/coronet and the tuba. :/ But I've always enjoyed a good instrumental.

Oh crap...this isn't a Legend of Korra related post....erm...Oh yes! Phonographs..yah..so those <.<

What I'm curious of though, is that phonograph looked to be made of wood but also metal....and it lit fire so easily....was it made of paper? I am curious now....many of these questions do I ponder...

**Tune in next time for MORE useless questions nobody cares to ask**
Last edited by TheSilentChoice on Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Needless~ (By Me)
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Bolin gets knocked off in a pro bending match
Bolin in the deep.
bwah bwah
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hey, uh...I was wondering...is any of this actually...legal? Like, are those episodes supposed to be available? I ask because I saw the official start of the series is April 14th...at least, according to Wikipedia...
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Penwrite wrote:Hey, uh...I was wondering...is any of this actually...legal? Like, are those episodes supposed to be available? I ask because I saw the official start of the series is April 14th...at least, according to Wikipedia...
Yes. The videos posted at the head of the thread were being hosted by nickelodeon (but not any longer, as it appears they were only releasing them for a limited time). I can not confirm what legality the Anilinkz link contains.
bwah bwah
TheSilentChoice

That IS a good question. No idea to be honest.
Needless~ (By Me)
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Who watched episode 3? I think that the masked guy is the son/grandson of the fire lord (who was Zuko's father. I forgot his name...).
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

It's a bit too early to know who came from who. What I'm interested in is if he's a bender who gave up bending when he picked up the formerly Avatar only power to disable a person's bending or if he's a normal outright. Also, given his history, he might cause conflict between the two brothers, seeing as they also lost their parents to a bender.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Foxstar wrote:It's a bit too early to know who came from who. What I'm interested in is if he's a bender who gave up bending when he picked up the formerly Avatar only power to disable a person's bending or if he's a normal outright. Also, given his history, he might cause conflict between the two brothers, seeing as they also lost their parents to a bender.
That is if he was telling the truth about his origins.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I saw the first two episodes the other day and it was pretty cool. Like what they've done with the show so far. Hope it doesn't go downhill.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
TheSilentChoice

The question also came up. Since they all seem to be chi blockers, perhaps he's just blocking the part of the brain that makes someone a bender. Since when they are hit by chi blockers, they are normal people, perhaps it could work in reverse, but Amon either doesn't want to, or can't MAKE benders, only non-benders. Food for thought of course. No evidence....YET
Needless~ (By Me)
ZambieHugger

Post by ZambieHugger »

I love this series even though I've only seen one episode so far, it actually has a main stroyline to it instead of most of the show which is just the most random fights with badguys that weren't in existence a few days ago.
I live in a world managed by children, whenever they don't get what they want, they yell and scream.
Insanity is just a name, crazy a color, and psychopaths a person.
Secretly...I am Batman.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

OKay, gloves and staffs that have batteries powerful enough to create eletricity to knock someone out.
I'm back at my statement. seventy years isn't time enough to get all this technology. I think they wanted to create a modern day era with the avatar, but they wanted to use the children of the original cast to still be close to the original series resulting in this mess.
ZambieHugger

Post by ZambieHugger »

Whut I don't understand is how Aang is still mentioned, yet there are now air benders...I thought they went extinct as mentioned in the original series...
I live in a world managed by children, whenever they don't get what they want, they yell and scream.
Insanity is just a name, crazy a color, and psychopaths a person.
Secretly...I am Batman.
McFly

Post by McFly »

Well, given that these new airbenders are all children/grandchildren of Aang, it isn't really a surprise that they're starting to back.
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

I recently got into the series and I'm impressed by it since The Last Airbender was such a good series. When it first came out however I neglected watching it and my friends began to talk about it, I thought it was nice they were bringing it back but as they were explaining it to me I couldn't help but find some plotholes in the story. I mean I was probably just doing it to annoy them but there are a few things in the story and in the recent episodes that I'm a bit confused by. But hey it's a kids' show so I can't complain much heh.
Call me Red or Harley, either is fine.

Characters:
(BsM)
Mason Castor: S-4 P-4 E-7 C-8 I-6 A-8 L-5
(EC)
Parker Vester: S-9 P-7 E-8 C-5 I-4 A-6 L-3