World's ending in 2012? NOOOOOOOPE NASA. :3

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

ReCreate

World's ending in 2012? NOOOOOOOPE NASA. :3

Post by ReCreate »

I've happened to see this new videos in my subscriptions from SpaceRip, a good YouTube channel usually dedicated to science-documentary-films. Here's a recent one they put out. Glad to see the guys that really know what they speak of to come out and debunk these silly myths with the hard, cold facts.

It's pretty cool/interesting, Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvWYzIaQ6is

Although I doubt many of you believe the world's going to end in the end of 2012 due to what has been predicted, It's still a fun thing.

Now, for that day to come, to laugh at the people who doubted these facts, or be faced with the most ironic unexpected and although nearly impossibly unlikely the end of the world. x3 I doubt the second will happen, though.

Video Transcript:
The issue with Dec. 21, 2012 and the predicted disasters that some folks think will come, probably started with the so-called end of the Mayan calendar. Their calendar does not end on Dec. 21, 2012. It's just the end of the cycle and the beginning of a new one. It's just like on Dec. 31st, our calendar comes to an end but a new calendar for the next year begins on Jan. 1st .

Niburu is supposed to be a planet that's four times the size of the Earth. It's going to get very close to the Earth and cause all kinds of disasters. So this enormous planet is suppose to be coming toward Earth, but if it were, we would've seen it long ago and if it were invisible somehow, we would've seen the affects of this planet on neighboring planets.

Thousands of astronomers who scan the night skies on a daily basis have not seen this. And then there's folks who think that NASA astronomers are actually hiding this information so as to prevent panic from the populous. Can you imagine thousands of astronomers who observe the skies on a nightly basis keeping the same secret from the public for several years?

Some folks think there's going to be a solar storm associated with Dec. 21st of 2012. Now, solar storms do exist. The sun's activity goes through a cycle that reaches a maximum every eleven years. The next solar maximum when you might expect enhanced solar activity will take place actually in May of 2013. It's supposed to be fairly mild solar activity maximum and there's no evidence that there's going to be any solar storms.

And then we have planetary alignments. There's a planetary alignment. The sun, the Earth and some of the planets are aligned and this is going to cause some tidal effects on the Earth that's going to be catastrophic.

Well, first of all, there are no planetary alignments in December of 2012 and even if there were, there are no tidal effects on the Earth as a result. The only two bodies in the solar system that can affect the Earth's tides are the moon, which is very close, and the sun, which is massive and also fairy close. But the other planets have a negligible effect on the Earth.

One of the myths for Dec. 21, 2012 is that the Earth's axes are going to somehow shift. The rotation axis can't shift because of the orbit of the moon around the Earth stabilizes it and doesn't allow it to shift.

The magnetic field does shift from time to time but the last time it did was 740,000 years ago and it doesn't do that sort of a shift but every half million years or so. But there's no evidence that's going to happen in December and even if it did shift, it's not going to cause a problem on the Earth apart from the fact that we're going to have to recalibrate our compasses.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Since the beginning of recorded time, there have been literally hundreds of thousands of predictions for the end of the world and we're still here.
~Re
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
natranr

Re: World's ending in 2012? NOOOOOOOPE NASA. :3

Post by natranr »

I love spacerip. also a good channel to watch would be Scichannel. Hank Green from the Vlog Brothers runs that.
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

Cool tidbit related to the 2012 doomsday theory:
"There have been about 514 leap years since since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every four years, today would be [August 5, 2013].
Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years. So technically the world should've ended [8] months ago."
XD
(Taken from this.)
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Now tell me something I don't know!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Goforit wrote:Cool tidbit related to the 2012 doomsday theory:
"There have been about 514 leap years since since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every four years, today would be [August 5, 2013].
Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years. So technically the world should've ended [8] months ago."
XD
(Taken from this.)
That would be a useful piece of information to tell someone who lives in fear of december 21st of this year. Pretty cool.

I watched a program earlier this year on 2012 and how it relates to the Long Count of the Mayan calendar. All it did was reassure my belief that it's a farse.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

XD
(Taken from this.)
I could point out the flaw with that, but I won't. Just gonna say there is one and see if anyone else realizes what it is.

That bit aside, I still love how easy it is to tear holes in the whole 12/21/12 doomsday thing. Personally I haven't ever considered it a possibility, but I do find the date amusing, both because it follows what seems to be the going trend for 'end of the world' dates, and for the fact that it happens to land on my younger sister's 25th birthday.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just worry people don't make stupid financial or health decisions because of this. I don't want this to be a self-made disaster.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Shirosune wrote:
XD
(Taken from this.)
I could point out the flaw with that, but I won't. Just gonna say there is one and see if anyone else realizes what it is.
the Mayan calendar wasn't based on our calendar. leap year didn't affect the Mayan calendar in any way.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Medli

Post by Medli »

Sleet wrote:I just worry people don't make stupid financial or health decisions because of this. I don't want this to be a self-made disaster.
Just what I keep thinking. It may very well turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy, if everyone believes the world is gonna end, it will end because of that, since the believers are gonna stop doing stuff that keeps life going. If enough people stop working and all, that may lead to a desaster >3>
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I can see this happening. People self-inducing a disaster. x3 If that happens, I'll laugh so hard. I doubt it'll be of significant proportions though. Since this (people claiming the end of the world is arriving) has happened countless times before.
no longer active, sorry
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The thing is the Mayas never even believed that the world would "end" (like most people are thinking) just that it would change and that the cycle would start again so everyone worrying about it (even if something were to happen) is just being double stupid.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ReCreate wrote:I can see this happening. People self-inducing a disaster. x3 If that happens, I'll laugh so hard. I doubt it'll be of significant proportions though. Since this (people claiming the end of the world is arriving) has happened countless times before.
This is a pretty big one, though. Probably the biggest since 2000.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

IceKitsune wrote:The thing is the Mayas never even believed that the world would "end" (like most people are thinking) just that it would change and that the cycle would start again so everyone worrying about it (even if something were to happen) is just being double stupid.
I thought that the Mayans believed that at the end of their Long Count, the god of destruction would come to earth and cause the end of days.
------------------

Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I'm pretty sure the Mayans believed the end of the long count calender would just be a start to a new age (Like of enlightenment or something). The calender just simply starts over. People just figured that it meant the end of the everything.

I don't know one person who believes December 2012 being the end that isn't completely oblivious to the topic. It's almost like a bad rumor that one person heard from another.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Its Y2K all over again!

Amazing how much the end of the world has been discussed.
The church I visited spent a great deal of time explaining the difference between the time of the end and the end of time. =_=

I'm sure no group of humans can predict exactly when the end of the world will be.
We also do not know whether or not the end of the world will be gradual or sudden. It might be a constant degradation of the world until collapse, there is no way we will be completely sure of what will happen. What a convenient date too 12/21/2012, it is such an aesthetically pleasing set of numbers. If anything, the apocalypse should happen on some milestone date right?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kitela wrote:I'm pretty sure the Mayans believed the end of the long count calender would just be a start to a new age (Like of enlightenment or something). The calender just simply starts over. People just figured that it meant the end of the everything.

I don't know one person who believes December 2012 being the end that isn't completely oblivious to the topic. It's almost like a bad rumor that one person heard from another.
Oh my gosh...guys...do you think it's possible that...the YEAR is trolling us!?
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Penwrite wrote:
Kitela wrote:I'm pretty sure the Mayans believed the end of the long count calender would just be a start to a new age (Like of enlightenment or something). The calender just simply starts over. People just figured that it meant the end of the everything.

Year of the Troll?
------------------

Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Wanderer wrote:Its Y2K all over again!
It's a bit different from Y2K, which was just a computer bug.
Penwrite wrote:

Either that, or the Mayans are trolling us. x3
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Y2k was a bit more reasonable because it was based on something we knew for a fact would happen- that computer programs would no longer properly record the year come 2000 if they were not patched beforehand. It's more about whether or not the proposed consequences were anywhere close to what would've happened (probably not).

With this, people can't even come to a consensus as to what is supposed to happen to kick off the end and/or significant reshaping of the world, let alone prove it will happen or prove it will have devastating effects. It's pretty much been a running joke from the moment it entered popular consciousness.
Kitela wrote:I don't know one person who believes December 2012 being the end that isn't completely oblivious to the topic. It's almost like a bad rumor that one person heard from another.
I don't know one person who believes that December 2012 will be the end at all, or at least if I do, they don't go parading about telling me to get my things together and get quite prepared to die, which I suppose I should appreciate.
Image Image
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Yes Y2K was a real problem and it was definetely something that people would have freaked out about. It was still overhyped and people made a bunch of crazy theories as to what would happen.

2012 is just ridiculous. There is only one person I know that believes December 21, 2012 is the doomsday. He is a lazy, spoiled bum that liked the idea that he won't have to work before he dies.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

The fear of Y2K was brought on by Computer bug.
The fear of December 21, 2012 was from many different astronomical coincidences, the Mayan calender and a few other even more ridiculous things.

Both are alike in how they were blow way out of proportion.

What Captain Pea said, Y2K was actually a bit more of a reasonable fear because there was proof that were going to be some technological bugs due to how some things were programmed. I don't know exactly what they thought would happen but I know it was a lot minor than what was predicted.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

They stored the dates as 2 digits, unsure of the datatype, number of bits, but supposedly In Y2K the dates would've flipped from 1999 to 1900, It'd mess up records but probably not irreversibly. (I doubt most companies using computers at the time had used it THAT early in history xb) Possibly crash software that wasn't well-designed too. (Then again, any software that was planned to be use on the long term, that used only two numbers, wasn't well designed xb)

In all honesty the worst case scenario I imagine is that any business using it would have to be on hold for a while as they make everything be able to work with dates past 1999(99), and if any records were accidentally made after the date flipped to 1900, to just convert it to the appropriate ones in 2000.

It's gonna happen again though, Year 2038 problem. x3 Or Y2.038K. Can happen on any system using a 32bit signed integer to store the date, each increment corresponding to 1 second this time. (You can try setting the date on your computer to 2038, most windows/microsoft components will have no problem as they handle dates differently, but i've found some other software to crash, dunno what happens on 32-bit linux though)

I guess I shouldn't use the 32-bit unix timestamp for storing the date in a database on the various web things I did, 26 years time and it'll break! If it still exists then. xD *wonders what these forums use to store the time*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
no longer active, sorry
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

I'm just annoyed by this because everytime I bring my bithday up, people are always like "Yo, dude! You're birthday's like, totally the end of the world, man! Radical! *high fives*"
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That will end. This year. Aren't you excited?

"Son, we didn't get you any presents because we thought we'd be dead."
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

Sleet wrote:That will end. This year.
What, it's 2012 already!? My calendar stil says 2009.
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Even though nothing's going to happen, the ignorant people who still believe an EoTW scenario would probably do stupid things, get themselves into trouble with the law, execute suicidal plans, stuff like that. Though I think someone already said what I said, so yeah.

TL;DR World's not going to end sillies.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

In case people aren't familiar with the acronym, "TL;DR" means "too long; didn't read." In which case, I fear for our future if we have people who consider two sentences too long to read. :lol:

But yeah, I agree with Elly.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

You'd be surprised how short attention spans are today.
Last edited by Private Elliot on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

who has time for two sentences, the world is ending soon
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Private Elliot wrote:You'd be surprised how short attention spans are today.
I stopped reading halfway through the word "be."

Wow, the world is ending.
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Cm4F wrote:Image
I was going to post this fact as soon as I came into this topic.

Good job dude. *thumbs up*
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

again, the mayans didn't even know about regular years. their calendar was purely based of solar cycles, as were the calculations that determined that it ended on December 21, 2012.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Medli

Post by Medli »

Well all it needs is for some important nuclear plant worker to say to himself "Oh gee golly beanpot! The world is ending soon! I better spend my last month at home with my wife and kiddos, lest I wish the last thing I saw to be a nuclear technical thingy that I probably have to push so nothing blows up!", and we're pretty screwed o3o
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm pretty sure there's no such job. And if there were, they'd never put the plant online if he didn't show up for work. Just sayin'. :3
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I've always found the whole 2012 thing ridiculous. I'm sure the world will end some day, but probably more from lack of resources causing a slow decline or something similar.

To think that the world will end just from some prediction made a long time ago, I just can't see it happening. I'm sure there's been plenty doomsday predictions made that have already come and gone and are we still here? Sure seems like it to me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I'm pretty sure there's no such job. And if there were, they'd never put the plant online if he didn't show up for work. Just sayin'. :3
Do plants even go offline? that would probably be a job with a couple of shifts, each with about 2-3 people in case one has to leave or dies or something.
Sparky wrote:To think that the world will end just from some prediction made a long time ago, I just can't see it happening. I'm sure there's been plenty doomsday predictions made that have already come and gone and are we still here? Sure seems like it to me.
this is the one (as far as I know) that was made this long before the date. most come a couple years before the time they're predicting it.
also, there are other things. global warming is supposed to reach a peak this year, It's also been said that Yellowstone might erupt this year. either way, we're screwed.
however, I'm pretty sure that the world won't end suddenly. If something's going to end the world on December 21st, we'll know long before then.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Do plants even go offline? that would probably be a job with a couple of shifts, each with about 2-3 people in case one has to leave or dies or something.
Nuclear plants only shut down reactors for refueling operations or during emergencies. There's redundancy for every imaginable job.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: It's also been said that Yellowstone might erupt this year. either way, we're screwed.
I'm pretty sure that the same chances stand for the Yellowstone caldera erupting this year as for the next couple of decades or longer. It may erupt 1000+ years from now.
When it dose, that's going to suck.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I didn't mean we're screwed. I meant if either of those events occur, we're screwed. just to clarify.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets