Extracurricular Activities

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Extracurricular Activities

Post by Sleet »

So, most of us are school-aged, so I thought I'd ask. What kinds of extracurricular activities do y'all do?

I did marching band and tennis when I was in high school. In college, I'm in jazz band and a martial arts club.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Re: Extracurricular Activities

Post by Beagle »

Thanks for making this thread for me, Sleet, but the title and first post are lame though. :3 We still love you though. :P

Do any of our forumites here volunteer their time anywhere as well? I was going to volunteer at my local no-kill animal shelter, but they're (stupidly) not open on weekends, so I can't. :(

I participate in:
~ Prom committee
~ Beta Club
~ Ping Pong club (Yes, my high school has this!)
~ Future Business Leaders of America
~ Science Club (I'm treasurer this year!)
~ Pep Club (It's a school spirit club for those who refuse to break their necks in sports or starve themselves to fit into a cheerleading uniform. No offense to any sports kids or cheerleaders, but I'm horribly clumsy and I have no metabolism. :P)
~ French Club
~ Stage crew (more specifically I do all the computer/technical designing) for my high school's spring theater productions
~ And I'm about to join the Journalist club/ school newspaper team next week when we have our first meeting.

And I still have two/three hours of free time every weekday, and nothing to do on the weekends. T_T
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Nothing at my school, I'm probably going to enter Taekwondo classes soon but nothing certain. I have guitar classes on Sundays and during 10th and 11th grades in Colmbia, it is mandatory to serve at least 100 hours of volunteer work.
Sent from my conifer.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

High school, I was in NHS (National Honor Society), anime club, marching band, jazz band, and pep band.

in college, I'm in Anime club ans ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IJustWantLove

Post by IJustWantLove »

FCCLA
HOSA
NTHS
FBLA
Chess Club
Anime/Japan Club
Scholars Bowl
Thrill The World.
Poetry Club
Art Club
"She was a child, and I was a child,
In this Kingdom by the sea.
But we loved with a love, that was more than love.
I and my Annabelle Lee"
"Anabelle Lee" By Edgar Allan Poe
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Yeah, I have been part of:

Film club
Lego club
School newspaper
student council
Prefects

...now I'm doing nothing. I'd like to do some sort of martial arts, though I'm not sure if my college is offering it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You have a Lego club?!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I played hockey though that wasn't through my school
and I was in my schools gay straight alliance (me and my friend were the token straight guys!!)
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Right now, I don’t have nearly enough of these, and the ones I want I either can’t afford or don’t have the means to get to.

But I do get a few very nice ones at my school.

-California Cadet Corps (Currently a Sergeant)
-Engineering
-Woodshop construction team
-Structural drafting
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Sleet wrote:You have a Lego club?!
My old school did, yeah. We bought the biggest Lego set ever as well, I think. The TAj Mahal. :mrgreen:

I only worked on a pick up truck though, alongside 2 other friends. We started it though, so we overlooked up as the earlier years joined in.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Aaron-
*spazzes* Legos?! I LOVE Legos! Some of the best memories I have with my older/youngest brother involve sitting on the floor and building lego creations with him. :P But Lego War isn't fun when you're seven years old and you don't know what pieces to throw to knock down your older brother's Lego castle. :P

@Love- Cool, we have HOSA here too!

@Brent- I need to apply to NHS. Thank you for reminding me. D: *Did research* My school doesn't have a chapter, which is apparently needed. T_T

@Yeho- Volunteering is mandatory in Colombia? O .o That's really interesting, I mean it!

And it looks like my school has grown tired of the majority of students failing math because they hired people with engineering degrees instead of those with actual hardcore teacher training. I'm now volunteering two study hall periods a week to tutor math students in (primarily) Algebra 2, maybe Pre-Calculus, and potentially the other Calculus class that's parallel-paced to my third period class. XP
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Lego club
Hold up. Best. Club. Ever. x3

I'm in the marching band, National Honor's Society, I write for the school newspaper, and I might join the Bike Club. If only because that's how I get to school anyway. =P
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:
Lego club
Hold up. Best. Club. Ever. x3
I second this.
Anywho, outside of school I hunt for jobs, build things, and try to avoid the need for physical therapy. I have thought about joining the Gay Strait Alliance, for a strange reason. I'm a sadist, that means I enjoy the pain of others, but I know its wrong so that makes me think I'm a bad person, and when I think I'm a bad person I get depresses. I can offset this by doing good things, but if I start think of myself as a good person I start to hate myself for being a sadist and than I get depressed, so I need to balance the two things. I'm an angelic demon basically, and the most confusing person this side of the Ohio.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Well, when I was in school, I was in the magazine committee and the formal committee.

Apart from that, not much.

Also I read the topic title as extraterrestrial activities.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Beagle wrote: @Yeho- Volunteering is mandatory in Colombia? O .o That's really interesting, I mean it!
My only question is how it is considered volunteering if it's mandatory
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

44R0NM10 wrote:
Sleet wrote:You have a Lego club?!
My old school did, yeah. We bought the biggest Lego set ever as well, I think. The TAj Mahal. :mrgreen:

I only worked on a pick up truck though, alongside 2 other friends. We started it though, so we overlooked up as the earlier years joined in.
WHY DID WE NOT HAVE ONE.
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

I still can't believe the school told me I couldn't do this one course because they hadn't enough money. The school recently bought £1000 worth of Lego and thus I hate the Lego club. The End.

I'm FORCED to go to some Art club, I hate the people there. By people I mean those herd of girls who sit in a corner and giggle at nothing then ask you odd questions which they do to everyone in the room. Oh how I love art club.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
BSAman

Post by BSAman »

I'm in
band-trombone
jazz band- trombone
choir- tenor
show choir- tenor
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

wow, this reminds me... I've not joined a single club since college starts...part of me blames the lack of options at this place, but still.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Wow, quite a few people who are (or have been) in a band. I wonder how many were part of the Drumline? I'm part of the Drumline in my school, and we are a marching band. (Not sure how many "I'm in band" people's bands were marching bands)

I do pep band too, but not much else school related.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

When I was in high school I was in Latin Club, but I don't speak a word of it.

Now that I am in college, all my time out of class and studying are spent work any number of part time jobs. I was on the Film Council that chose the movies that came to the campus theater, but I quit because I kept getting out voted by "Twilight" fans.

Now I spend my free time reading books and comics or watching movies.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Beagle wrote:Do any of our forumites here volunteer their time anywhere as well?
Gaaaaaaah, my school makes us do 40 hours of community service as a graduation requirement. It makes no sense, around Christmas I help a charity called My Brother's Keeper even though I'm not Christian, which lead to a very strange yet hilarious conversation. Anyways, I do volunteer my time, but the required volunteer hours makes no sense, we are being forced to do volunteer work? I dunno, but it makes no sense whatsoever. For other things I do, I am on The OCSA Jr. rifle team and the Jr. High Power Team, formerly known as the C team. I also ride bikes all over eastern Massachusetts including Plymouth.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Beagle wrote:Do any of our forumites here volunteer their time anywhere as well?
Gaaaaaaah, my school makes us do 40 hours of community service as a graduation requirement. It makes no sense, around Christmas I help a charity called My Brother's Keeper even though I'm not Christian, which lead to a very strange yet hilarious conversation. Anyways, I do volunteer my time, but the required volunteer hours makes no sense, we are being forced to do volunteer work? I dunno, but it makes no sense whatsoever. For other things I do, I am on The OCSA Jr. rifle team and the Jr. High Power Team, formerly known as the C team. I also ride bikes all over eastern Massachusetts including Plymouth.
We're required 75 logged hours to graduate, but you get 5 free hours for every year of middle school you complete, so it's actually 60 so long as you finish middle school.

I have a passive interest in acting; I was in a one-act this past winter which involved speaking in a high grating voice that I think ushered my vocal cords ten years closer to death (oh but I talk in a grating high pitched voice all the time didn'tcha know), but for the most part I just muck about with art and general time-wasting.
Image Image
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

JeffCvt wrote:Wow, quite a few people who are (or have been) in a band. I wonder how many were part of the Drumline? I'm part of the Drumline in my school, and we are a marching band. (Not sure how many "I'm in band" people's bands were marching bands)
I never had the chance to join a band while in school, most schools here doesn't have a band of any sorts. Wished I had though...

In college, I was in the English Club and the Choir Team (though I can't sing to save myself =w='). I did try to join the Gamelan (Indonesian ethnic percussions) Ensemble, which I think is cool, but since I'm already in a musical team, I can't join them TTwTT

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I really wish i had time to do more but between work and class I don't do much. I play intermural hockey and I'm a pledge at a frat. Other than that I'm pretty much a recluse.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

i'm gonna starts track o 3o
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I was in the college GSA, but then my schedule changed so that my classes conflicted with all their meets. I could also try getting in the engineering club.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm not sure if you were in the college Girl Scouts of America or General Services Administration.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Dissension wrote:I'm not sure if you were in the college Girl Scouts of America or General Services Administration.
Think of an extra-curricular activity that would cause an uproar in Warren, PA. It stands for Gay-Straight alliance.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So an everyone-alliance? *giggles*

You guys have an engineering club? All we have are engineering honor societies. Blech.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I wanted to start a physics club, but I didn't know if enough people wanted to join. Also, I didn't know what you should do in a physics club... experiments?
All I know is that there is a band named after it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have no idea what would go on, honestly. We had one I tried to join but never got around to it.
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

We live near one of the best ski mountans in oregon, so our school has an after school ski program. I've been skiing for about six years, loved every second of it. Also, I play soccer on the school team.

@wanderer
I suppose a physics club would do experiments. They might also study, or do projects I guess.

Post by 0404 »

Technology club
/Back of da stage crew
Jazz guitar club
Robotic Club
School event committee
Track team!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You have an entire club dedicated to jazz guitar? Wow.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Huh. I haven't posted here in about a year.
Well. This year I'm a zombie actor for our marching band's show, 2012 Zombie Apocalypse. I'm Beta Club president and Science Club president this year. French club is starting up again, so I'm going to be in that to keep my knowledge of French fresh. We have a media club for digital art, photography, filming, etc, so I'm excited to do some photography work. In other words, I'm keeping myself busy and making new friends!

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:You have an entire club dedicated to jazz guitar? Wow.
Actually this is the first 2 months of the Jazz guitar Club, we are just testing it around. we'll see how it works out.

I'm also a member of the Air Cadet. I can fly Gliders. Not really...
McFly

Post by McFly »

I'm currently part of the football program and the Spanish Club ('Cuz, you know, I like Spanish :P). A few years ago I used to be a Boy Scout, but gave that up to play football. I used to play in the drumline at one of my previous schools, as well. My skills, of course, have gotten rusty since then.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

texascat018 wrote:
Actually this is the first 2 months of the Jazz guitar Club, we are just testing it around. we'll see how it works out.

How many people are even in jazz guitar club?

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:
texascat018 wrote:

How many people are even in jazz guitar club?
about little more than half a dozen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrytKuC3Z_o
this is what we are currently playing