Words With Friends

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sparky

Words With Friends

Post by Sparky »

I thought it might be fun to see how many people here also play the popular scrabble like game words with friends.

If any of you want to play my user name is: JKMan89

I'm always up for a game but be ready cause i don't pull any punches. :D

Also not sure if this is the best place for this since although it would be forum members paying, its not really on the forum so if i choose the wrong place i apologize in advance. :?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Words With Friends

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

actually, It goes in the main not the comic, over with the Minecraft and 3DS topics. moving it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Many thanks and sorry bout the mixup.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

no problem. moving misplaced topics is one of the easiest things for us to do.
and on topic, I don't play.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

hmmm, I don't think I've ever played before.
Though I am a little confused as to what game you are talking about here...
so its... scrabble online?
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

pretty much, but it isn't made by Hasbro/Mattel, so they can't call it Scrabble
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's slightly different from Scrabble, but not much.

I like Scrabble online, but computerizing it has its issues. Such as people playing words they don't know and hoping the computer accepts them.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

same thing is in actual Scrabble. playing words you don't know and hoping it's in the scrabble dictionary.
the only issue is that online, the other player can check the dictionary before playing a word, so they can cheat.

last week, my brother got, I think around 60 points with the word zeta.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:same thing is in actual Scrabble. playing words you don't know and hoping it's in the scrabble dictionary.
the only issue is that online, the other player can check the dictionary before playing a word, so they can cheat.

last week, my brother got, I think around 60 points with the word zeta.
Yes but you can get called out for being a jerk if you keep doing that. And your friends have to challenge you. In Words with Friends they do it automatically for you.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so that should make it better online. in real scrabble, you can get away with playing Kwyjibo if your friends think it's a word.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Yeah, it's super easy to cheat in this version. I try to avoid doing so, but the internet is such a temptation. >.>

I do play, by the way, though I didn't make a user name, so only my FB friends can really play me at the moment. That still has me in three games, currently, but still. :p Because of how easily exploitable it is, it's kinda up to dumb luck for the most part (I got 80 points for getting 'gravity' just today because I happened to have all 7 letters be right).

So, I think it's kind of a dumb game, but it's still enjoyable to toss a word out between Youtube videos, or other such activities.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:so that should make it better online. in real scrabble, you can get away with playing Kwyjibo if your friends think it's a word.

Doesn't Scrabble come with a dictionary or something? It's not too difficult to look up 'kwyjibo' to see if it's a real word or not.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Its really also about knowing how to play the board. Anyone can go and look up words, but knowing how to use them to get the most points and blocking possible moves of your opponent can be just as useful if not more so than a word worth a lot of points.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

KJOokami wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:so that should make it better online. in real scrabble, you can get away with playing Kwyjibo if your friends think it's a word.

Doesn't Scrabble come with a dictionary or something? It's not too difficult to look up 'kwyjibo' to see if it's a real word or not.
Not if their IS no dictionary to read from. *eyes shift* "Bonfire? What bonfire?"

But in all seriousness, yes their is a dictionary that comes with the game that includes all the legal words to be used in the game. my only question is, does the online version have a dictionary?
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it doesn't come with one, you either need your own or you need to buy the scrabble dictionary or you need to use the online version. and it why look it up if no one chooses to question whether or not it's a word? the computer does it automatically.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, for example, you can type "Words that start with X" into Google, and there are literally pages with every possible word you can make starting with the letter 'x'. 2 letter words, 3 letter words, 4 letter words, etc. You can just go down the line and see if you have the right letters to make any of them.

And you can do that with any letter. If that's not an unfair advantage over someone trying to play by the rules, I don't know what is.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:same thing is in actual Scrabble. playing words you don't know and hoping it's in the scrabble dictionary.
That's only "cheating" if you consider it cheating to check the dictionary during real games (the rules probably say it is, but when they're just out for a game, people modify real rules all the time. The Scrabble police aren't going to bust in the door).

It's still a big waste of time and it makes things much less fun, so I wouldn't recommend just wildly slapping letters around (or just looking stuff up and being lazy).
I've never played Words with Friends, but I have played Scrabble's phone game, and I wish you could play invalid words in it.
Image Image
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

KJOokami wrote:Well, for example, you can type "Words that start with X" into Google, and there are literally pages with every possible word you can make starting with the letter 'x'. 2 letter words, 3 letter words, 4 letter words, etc. You can just go down the line and see if you have the right letters to make any of them.

And you can do that with any letter. If that's not an unfair advantage over someone trying to play by the rules, I don't know what is.
Even easier: "Cheating With Friends" app.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Tha Housefox wrote:Even easier: "Cheating With Friends" app.
Of course! It's so subtle, no one would ever suspect me if I told them I used an app like that. :lol:
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Lol forgot about the cheating apps. Even so, if you can find someone who plays fair, its pretty fun, at least to me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah, it's cool if people play fair. But seemingly everyone is cool with cheating, which significantly reduces the fun for me.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sleet wrote:Yeah, it's cool if people play fair. But seemingly everyone is cool with cheating, which significantly reduces the fun for me.
Well if you'd like a fair game, feel free to start one with me. Like I've said, i like to try and play the board more than trying to find the biggest word.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I may look into it.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Foxstar wrote:I may look into it.
Well if you get the urge, I'm up for a game. user name is in the first post. :)