Scratch's Fan Comics

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Scratch

Scratch's Fan Comics

Post by Scratch »

first off, Hi I'm Scratch and I eventually would like to start my own web comic but that's not going to happen for awhile for many reasons such as not having the required materials such as a server to host the project on and lacking the required knowledge, that kind of stuff. I was just content with saving whatever came to mind and when I was ready I would start; but a friend recently suggested to me that I try and draw fan comics for the various web comics that I read, to increase my artistic and writing skills. At first I scuffed at the idea but as I juggled the concept in my head I realized how good it actually was, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyway I have a few ideas for fan comics starting with this one called "A King's Conscience" (I know right another King fan comic) but I have a window of opportunity for this one because it involves the return of (*Gasp* Spoiler alert) Pete. I never planned to do the whole story arc with this so it ends with a bit of a cliff hanger.

Also any criticism would be helpful whether it be "hey you screwed up on that character in panel 2 and it bothers me" or "Holy crap I can't read the lettering, you suck" ok that second one might get you in trouble with the moderators but I welcome criticism so don't be shy I don't bite... unless provoked. I would also appreciate any tips you may have to offer

so...uh...enough talk lets fight!
Attachments
Spells are for Wussies<br /><br />The song is 'I put a spell on You&quot; by Creedence Clear Water Revival for those who want to know
Spells are for Wussies

The song is 'I put a spell on You" by Creedence Clear Water Revival for those who want to know
HousePets Fan art Spells are for Wussies.jpg (233.76 KiB) Viewed 30160 times
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Re: Scratch's Fan Comics

Post by _Stu_ »

Hey i like it xD i love your style!

And welcome, too! Another fancomic :D
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Where are Pete's wings?

Linework could use some tightening up.

Pete seems to have a parrot's beak for some reason or some kind of fruit eater beak.

The gag is kind of funny. Watch is a nice tough.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Nice scar, wonder how Pete got it...

Nice style. I like it. Can't wait to see how you write.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Ok so sorry about the long wait I was hoping to be able to update this twice a week but that's probably not going to happen so I'm going to at least try and update once a week.

so my thoughts on this page: first off I am very sorry about the lettering I screwed up really bad on that, I think the flow of the strip is a little fast but maybe its just me, I tried to make the lines darker but my pencil was not cooperating so its been dealt with, and When I drew this I didn't know what kind of tail griffins had so I gave Pete a mix between a lion's and a bird's

and on a different note-
Check it out I didn't forget Pete's wings this time!
also no one pointed out in my last strip that I used "your" instead of "you're" and I would just like to point out that I noticed and now I feel like an idiot.

but anyway hope you enjoy and tell me what you think.
Attachments
He's A Dog of Few Words
He's A Dog of Few Words
HP Dog of Few Words.jpg (242.44 KiB) Viewed 30054 times
valerio

Post by valerio »

practice makes perfect, as the saying goes. Keep it up!
And today's comic...OK, really fun! :lol:
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

Pete's tail look like this https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/04/ ... d-reasons/

I assume this is how he got the scar, eh?
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Nice update. Very Funny! :lol:

One thing though. It is Fickle, not fickel....
My characters
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I get what your trying to make the punchline about, but it's a little -too- wordy to pull off. Maybe next time. I see you went with a raptor's beak, which is more in line with his canon design. Much better on that format.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

he's not gonna take it! No! He ain't gonna take it! He's not gonna take it anymore!

sorry about the cruddy cropping but I'm kinda in a hurry so I rushed to upload this and again sorry for my bad text I have horrible handwriting
Attachments
The Dogs Got Bite
The Dogs Got Bite
HP the dogs got bite.jpg (213.19 KiB) Viewed 29915 times
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

This comic have a good potential. And Pete's concept is really great, i truly love it, i love it so much that i made this

Keep it awesome dude ;) and don't worry for bad texts, the only thing that count is soul. Put all yourself in your works, and it will be appreciated.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Wait, is that King's fate watch in the second panel?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Looks like it
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Nice addition. So King DOES have a spine. Good to know! :roll:

If it iss legible, it is good handwriting these days, so don't worry much about it.Looks fine really
My characters
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

The watch will be explained soon but i will say that its not king's soul because king still has it.
I'm also glad to hear you guys don't care too much about the quality of the text(or my writing for that matter. :D )
I just wish that I could update more often, Once a week seems pretty slow.

oh and _Stu_ you made my day
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I wasn't going to draw this because I wouldn't have been able to upload it by valentines day but then I said hey what the heck, why not.

its suppose to be fox but i think he looks a little like bailey so I'll leave it up to you to decide
you might also notice that I went over some of the separating lines, why you might ask, well because love knows no boundaries.
Attachments
HP Give a Dog a Bone.jpg
HP Give a Dog a Bone.jpg (252.23 KiB) Viewed 29804 times
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

lol misdirection. ^_^

I choose it as Fox, because that makes it funnier to me.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Awww! That is adorable and definitely Fox. I like it!
My characters
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Saying "I have bad handwriting' is no excuse. If your going to take the time to make a strip, take the time to improve your lettering.

The squeeky bone strip was cute. Nice job.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Your right Foxstar, I need to nut up or shut up about the lettering, so I've looked up some things that artist used to do for their lettering in newspaper funnies and I'm going to try it out in my next strip.

but until then enjoy this nice clean no text strip. It originally had text about spot(superdog) saving his girlfriend(who's not a cat) from the evil Maximus Madd but then I wouldn't have been able to put Peanut in the background without the strip getting too crowded, besides I think seeing Peanut running from way off in the distance is funnier. also Max didn't see Peanut kiss Grape he just thinks Peanut pushed him over.

speaking of Max I can't help but laugh at him in panel 1, he thinks he's so smooth, ha.

Ok now I'm done with these lovey-dovey strips and will start posting the King/Pete ones.
Attachments
Love Hurts
Love Hurts
HP Love Hurts.jpg (218.65 KiB) Viewed 29704 times
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That is pretty good.
I like the way peanut looks in the second pannel, he's just charging in like "how dare you try to kiss Grape!"

I wish that I had the ability to draw like you, I wouldn't mind making a few comics like yours if I could.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
valerio

Post by valerio »

LOL, that is SO peanut!! :lol: (if he had a death wish of course)
Couple of notes: Fox's muzzle in the previous comic is way too feline, given comparison between the two strips.
And Max got a WAY bigger bell at his neck (I wonder how can he move his head at all with that thing right under his chin...)
Oh, and only on a personal basis: panel 4 is...disturbing. I mean, Grape used Suplex on him, but we never saw her hitting Peanut, and not in that context. Not funny.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Peanut is so dead.

And i loved this comic. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Yeah I agree with you Valerio that panel four may have been a bit too harsh, but I grew up with two older brothers so rough housing between siblings doesn't affect me too much, but I realize that yes I have to take other peoples feelings into account as well as that this is a pg forum so from now on I'll try to tone down anything that can be considered violent or I'll find an alternative.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Nah, you're still well within PG-13, so no worries there. I think Valerio was just pointing out that it's a bit out of character for Grape to be quite that violent toward Peanut.

That said, these are pretty good. Nice work!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Grape punching Peanut would be overly aggressive in honestly, but wrestling with him wouldn't. That's all you have to remember for future reference =P
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

OK its good to know that you guys and gals are not sharpening your pitchforks over this :D but in all seriousness if at any point you think that I've crossed a line please speak up.

But I kinda feel the need to explain why Peanuts expression was so anguished, in the original story line Peanut dismisses Grapes reaction as her being brain washed by Max and the line for panel four was "the physical torment dealt to his rock hard abs could not compare to the emotional anguish that shattered his fragile heart."
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

You are still PG with that last panel. You have nothing to worry about with a little hit like that. And growing up with a sister I can honestly say that that does look normal to me. Grape wouldn't hurt Peanut too much, but a little warning hit is not out of the question...

Still, it is just a tad out of character. Max looks great. I do think he enjoys tormenting Peanut a bit too much! :lol:
My characters
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Should've mention the three times that Rick had characters punch three times so far in the comic >.>

But the gist of what i'm getting at though is that depending on how it's done, it can be cute or cruel if done right. in Peanut's sense, i would think he'd snicker at the idea he's getting double teamed =P

still though, i liked how the comic was done. That's what i love about fanart/comics.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Well, last panel is not disturbing for the PG thing, but for the contest and stuff... i don't think Peanut deserve this for what he have done. Maybe a panel with him unconscious and/or heavily punched on the head with Grape and Max going away would be more effective

Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I think it's widely out of character for Peanut to steal a kiss like that.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm actually inclined to agree.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Alright time to get that bitter taste of a lesson learned out of our mouths with the next installments of "a Kings Conscience" and yes that's right installments with an "s", I've had a recent influx of free time so yay two strips today, and a cliffhanger!

OK first off I went back and was going to try and fix the text in the first two panels of the first strip after Foxstar hit me with the smart stick(thanks by the way) but as you can see it left really bad eraser marks on panel two and I didn't think that panel one suffered all that much, if anyone can't read panel two i would be happy to post what it says and from now on I will try to do everything in my power so that bad text never happens again; that's what the lines under the text are for, so that when I'm writing I can keep it as orderly and clean as possible
Also I recall someone saying that kings muzzle was too small so i tried making it longer but it just looks "off" to me, maybe it's just me though. Oh and one more thing the fuzzy things on Kings legs in the second strip are in fact his knees because, in my opinion, King looked too tall without them.

I would like to apologize to anyone named Emrik Quinn, unless if your a jerk, if that's the case I regret nothing!
I added that little character because Lil' Joel seems like the kind of kid that was bullied in school. I hope I didn't bring up any bad memories for anyone else.
Attachments
Body Like a Greek God
Body Like a Greek God
HP Body Like a Greek God.jpg (241.55 KiB) Viewed 29564 times
Ace in the Hole
Ace in the Hole
HP Ace in the Hole.jpg (254.83 KiB) Viewed 29564 times
valerio

Post by valerio »

why does Pete have shackles at his arms and legs?
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

Seems like king cant catch a break. Keep on drawing.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

@Valerio because in some places guards put shackles on prisoners legs to decrease their stride so they can't run

but if your wondering why he still has them on, it's because I demand it! nah Just kidding, once this comics over I gonna do one detailing his escape. and I'll explain why he doesn't take them off.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I liked Pete's line in the last panel of the first one.
and I understand the reasoning behind the shackles. he escaped but only by breaking the chains. He can't get the shackles off.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Nice couple of strips. Looks fine to me.

Pete has the upper hand, always...
My characters
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

That pose and that watch... Pete's not going to try for hypnosis is he?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

@justacritic Hahaha no he's not going for hypnosis, That didn't even cross my mind until you said that. since reading your post when I look at that panel all I see is Hypno from Pokemon and I'm probably going to spend the next few hours of my free time looking for my old Gameboy.