It's Carnaval, Everyone! =D

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Mctwisp

It's Carnaval, Everyone! =D

Post by Mctwisp »

maybe you, guys, have asking yourselfs: what's carnaval? or is that one in New Orleans or Italy?

No. I'm talk about the Brazilian Carnaval.

The Carnaval in Brazil is a big part of the Brazilian Culture, have four days of party, plus the "Quarta-feira de Cinzas"(Ash Wednesday in English) and it is sometimes referred to by the Brazilians as the "Greatest Show on Earth".

Salvador has large Carnaval celebrations, including the Axé, typical Bahia music. A truck with giant speakers and a platform where musicians play songs of local genres such as Axé music, Samba-reggae and Arrocha, is driven with the following crowd both dancing and singing.

It was originally staged by two Salvador musicians, Dodo & Osmar, in the 1950s. Several cities in the state of Bahia still celebrate Carnaval this way, with as most popular the Carnaval of Porto Seguro.

Another important part of the Brazilian Carnival takes place in the Rio Carnaval, with samba schools parading in the Sambadrome ("sambódromo" in Portuguese). Sometimes, it's called too "sapucaí" because the street who they parade is Marquês de Sapucaí Avenue.

It's the largest Carnaval event in this country, considered to be the largest of the kind in the world. Called "One of the biggest shows of the Earth", the festival attracts millions of tourists, both Brazilians and foreigners who come from everywhere to participate and enjoy the great show. Samba Schools are large, social entities with thousands of members and a theme for their song and parade each year. Tourists are allowed to participate, paying ($500–750) to buy a Samba costume and dance in the parade through the Sambadrome with one of the schools. The price paid is used to buy the tourist's own costume and also the costumes of the people who do not have the money to afford it.

Blocos are generally small informal groups also with a definite theme in their samba, usually satirical of the current political situation. But there are also a lot, about 30 of them in Rio de Janeiro, that are very big in number of participants, gathering hundreds of thousands of people. There are more than 400 blocos in Rio de Janeiro. Bandas are samba musical bands, usually formed by enthusiasts in the same neighborhood.

Now about musics:

Axé: is a popular music genre originating in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil approximately in 1986, fusing different Afro-Caribbean genres, such as Marcha, Reggae, and Calypso. The word "axé" comes from a Yoruba religious greeting used in the Candomblé and Umbanda religions that means "soul", "light", "spirit" or "good vibration".

Ivete Sangalo, is the Queen of Carnaval in Bahia and the Muse of Axé, because she so energetic, so happy and lightful, a little crazy, too, She diserve to be called the Queen of Carnaval.

Ivete Sangalo In Madison Square Garden, NY, United States of America

Ivete Sangalo - Berimbau Metalizado

Ivete Sangalo - Acelera Aê

Ivete Sangalo - Na Base do Beijo

Ivete Sangalo - Me Abraça, Me Beija

Samba: is a Brazilian dance and musical genre originating in Bahia and with its roots in Brazil (Rio De Janeiro) and Africa via the West African slave trade and African religious traditions. It is recognized around the world as a symbol of Brazil and the Brazilian Carnaval.

Full Parade "Unidos na Tijuca"

Full Parade "Portela"

Skip the reporters comentaries, if you want.

Next Topic: São João(Saint John) >=3 Release Juny 2012
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
sonic id furreh!!!

Re: It's Carnaval, Everyone! =D

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

that looks incredibly awesome ._.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wow, that's really neat! I'm a bit of a quiet person, though. I didn't even wake up for the second-largest Mardi Gras parade in the whole United States in my own city!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Hi, people. Today is Ash Wednesday.

Ash Wednesday, in the calendar of Western Christianity, is the first day of Lent and occurs 46 days before Easter. And the next day of the fourth day of Carnaval.

According to the canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, during which he endured temptation by Satan.Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of this 40-day liturgical period of prayer and fasting.

Therefore, this day is holiday for us, brazilians, because is for recover our energies after jumping and screaming like a crazy in Carnaval.

Happy Ash Wednesday for you, guys.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp