Arc 51: Show Business

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

Re: Arc 51: Show Business

Post by Dissension »

Not enough people go into my bedroom for me to consider that "out in the open." (I am the sole occupant.)

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

you don't live with three rambunctious wolf cubs. or at least I don't think you do.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He actually does.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I really hope the money will be for the cellphone.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

If I had to guess, I'd say the motivational value behind money *is* most likely getting a cell phone. Though I figured that he would have simply asked the ferrets for an allowance or something by now. I guess they said no?
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I think the point of the project with the wolves is to get them into society, which includes jobs. So no, I doubt the ferrets would simply give him an allowance.

They need all that money for their jello pools, after all.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, generally an allowance is something given in exchange for doing a job of some sort around your house. When I was a kid, anyway, it actually involved doing work of some kind; not so much anymore, but I digress.

Additionally, King did mention it at the start of the most recent zoo arc. Miles said that there probably wasn't much he could do, work-wise, but it was never really clarified whether or not King asked them.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

This is why Corgis should never attempt a death defying leap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glii-kazad8
They are just not built for it!

Being cute in the face of death is probably his only defense mechanism.

"The stink of profits is sweet, no matter what its source."
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

Crikey, but can being bipedal make this any easier?

King's paws are now black. I'm sure there are people who miss the pink color.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Does it really make a difference? And really I would have thought that the wolf cubs would have done something with the statue by now. I mean look at it, it just practically screams to do some mischief with it
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

It's probably enchanted to prevent such from happening.

King needs to ensure he's being paid in CASH, and not in dog biscuits or something.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'd at least find some way to not have a golden statue of a nine-tailed fox with the words "or was it?" out in the open.
I have stranger things laying around my room,
It's not that hard to explain away all things considered.
Kitch wrote:It's probably enchanted to prevent such from happening.

or maybe he just locks his room?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

RootsofOrigin wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:It's a paying gig. But is it really worth it, King? She does not love you.
King is a sellout.
How else do you expect a dog to get money? His 'owner' vanished, he lives with a bunch of rich ferrets who have likely turned him down for his request and he has a girlfriend who lives miles away who he would like to talk to more then once a year.

Really now, use your head.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Who said he's be paid with money?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:Who said he's be paid with money?
Why do you people keep thinking that?

Why would King agree to something to which he will not receive the compensation he wants?
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Because he didn't realize it wasn't money when he agreed?

Though I guess if the writer isn't keen on the idea then obviously it's not much of a possibility.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Duchess doesn't really seem like the type to be stingy with her money if it means getting her way. If she didn't intend to actually give him money, she would be just as well threatening him with bodily harm (via Boris) to get him to compete, rather than offering compensation at all.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

You know, there IS still something that tells me that there might have been an ulterior motive behind all of Pete's actions, but until I see that motive, he's nothing but a maniacal, power abusive, wicked mythical creature to me.

In other news, anyone think that Bailey shows up and drama ensues? :?
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

KJOokami wrote:Duchess doesn't really seem like the type to be stingy with her money if it means getting her way. If she didn't intend to actually give him money, she would be just as well threatening him with bodily harm (via Boris) to get him to compete, rather than offering compensation at all.
Threatening to hurt King would do nothing at all to pull him towards her cause. She's a show dog who is used to getting her way, threats are very uncouth to say the least and would also result in King stabbing her in the back the moment he got a chance. King has -never- responded well to force.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

PhoenixAsper wrote:You know, there IS still something that tells me that there might have been an ulterior motive behind all of Pete's actions, but until I see that motive, he's nothing but a maniacal, power abusive, wicked mythical creature to me.

In other news, anyone think that Bailey shows up and drama ensues? :?
Personally I think The Cosmic Nerds are a lot simpler then everyone is making them out to be they are just a bunch of Nerds playing a cosmic version of D&D. I doubt there is anything more to it then that. Really I wonder why Pete wanted Grape more then anything and Dragon went out of her way to stop him, that seems more odd to me.

Even if Bailey shows up (which I doubt she will) I don't think there will be much drama if there is it should be easily explained by both King and Duchess, so at best it would be very short lived.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I'm pretty sure Pete just wants to win and that's why he does things which cast him in a most unfavorable light. Even cosmic beings can have moments of inappropriate behavior, more so with lesser beings.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

IceKitsune wrote: Even if Bailey shows up (which I doubt she will) I don't think there will be much drama if there is it should be easily explained by both King and Duchess, so at best it would be very short lived.
I'm not that big a fan of plots that revolve around a simple misunderstanding; while the previous arc had that within its framing device, it was resolved in exactly one step (explaining the situation). If Bailey is to somehow become upset that Duchess and King entered a vanity contest as a couple, the reason for it would have to be one that is not easily resolved by simply explaining what's going on, because if that happens, all I would do is have King explain what is going on.
Foxstar wrote:I'm pretty sure Pete just wants to win and that's why he does things which cast him in a most unfavorable light. Even cosmic beings can have moments of inappropriate behavior, more so with lesser beings.
Although it's still taking me a while to determine all the details, Pete's actions have a motivation behind them that's more than just "lol I dog owner".
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Foxstar wrote:Threatening to hurt King would do nothing at all to pull him towards her cause. She's a show dog who is used to getting her way, threats are very uncouth to say the least and would also result in King stabbing her in the back the moment he got a chance. King has -never- responded well to force.
On the point of it being "uncouth", fair enough. But Duchess doesn't know anything about King beyond that he apparently won a competition while he was still with Pete; she doesn't have a clue about his temperament towards being forced into things. The only reason *we* know about that is because we've been following his story from outside the comic.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:
Foxstar wrote:I'm pretty sure Pete just wants to win and that's why he does things which cast him in a most unfavorable light. Even cosmic beings can have moments of inappropriate behavior, more so with lesser beings.
Although it's still taking me a while to determine all the details, Pete's actions have a motivation behind them that's more than just "lol I dog owner".
Then is there also a reason he wanted Grape at first, and Dragon felt the need to interfere with that choice?
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

KJOokami wrote:
Foxstar wrote:Threatening to hurt King would do nothing at all to pull him towards her cause. She's a show dog who is used to getting her way, threats are very uncouth to say the least and would also result in King stabbing her in the back the moment he got a chance. King has -never- responded well to force.
On the point of it being "uncouth", fair enough. But Duchess doesn't know anything about King beyond that he apparently won a competition while he was still with Pete; she doesn't have a clue about his temperament towards being forced into things. The only reason *we* know about that is because we've been following his story from outside the comic.
She may not know much about King, but she's smart and well bred enough to likely realize forcing the matter if bribery didn't work would cause more problems then could be solved by big dog personal assistants.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

IceKitsune wrote: Then is there also a reason he wanted Grape at first, and Dragon felt the need to interfere with that choice?
That you need to ask this makes me feel ashamed.

Actually there's a completely different reason why he ended up not getting Grape. No more spoilers now.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote: Then is there also a reason he wanted Grape at first, and Dragon felt the need to interfere with that choice?
That you need to ask this makes me feel ashamed.

Actually there's a completely different reason why he ended up not getting Grape. No more spoilers now.
I was just asking just to make sure really, I was 90% sure there was a reason. Now I'm wondering if Tarot/Dragons warning Grape and Peanut didn't push Grape away from Pete then what in the world could have?

Edit: I guess she might have rejected him from the beginning anyway due to not liking magic. Or its because of that champion idea Rick brought up before that he said he might use later, and he was never going to have her as she is important to the game in another way.

Edit 2: Its the second reason I'm sure of it That is what the prophecy, that Tarot gave, was talking about back at the end of N-Pile date. Also the reason he didn't know that was the same reason he didn't know who moved his temple, he was inside it at the time he contacted Grape therefore he couldn't have known Also possible that he did know when he contacted her (or at least sensed something special about her) and just didn't care thinking he could get around it by having her accept him anyway.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I like how blunt and uncompromising you've made Duchess. It's very different from the other females. Is her collar a reversed Pound sign? Would that make her british?

Just a light bit of critisism though, somehow it just doesnt sit right that Duchess is now suddenly in King's bedroom, surely the part where she tells him what she wants would've come way before this.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

JohnWillow wrote: Just a light bit of critisism though, somehow it just doesnt sit right that Duchess is now suddenly in King's bedroom, surely the part where she tells him what she wants would've come way before this.
Maybe, but maybe she also wanted to know he actually had papers before she made the proposal.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Yea, that's certainly possible. I was just not sure why King would trust a dog he's never met and one that held him down against his will. I did think of the possibility that he was forced to show her but i just dont know why he wouldn't demand an answer, actually (just a sudden thought) that would've been fun to see, both of them can be quite demanding so you could've gone down the route of a war of demands broken by the threat of pummelling.

rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

JohnWillow wrote:Yea, that's certainly possible. I was just not sure why King would trust a dog he's never met and one that held him down against his will. I did think of the possibility that he was forced to show her but i just dont know why he wouldn't demand an answer, actually (just a sudden thought) that would've been fun to see, both of them can be quite demanding so you could've gone down the route of a war of demands broken by the threat of pummelling.
Except that would have derailed this arc for how long? And I have a lot of plot points to get through.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I look forward to them. Thank you for personally clearing up these questions.

PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

If that's the case, if I were King, and I knew that to be true, I'd be one tap or poke away from going serious Babylon 5 on the lot of them.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

PhoenixAsper wrote:
If that's the case, if I were King, and I knew that to be true, I'd be one tap or poke away from going serious Babylon 5 on the lot of them.
I would have been that way ever since Pete stole the Fate Orb if I was King, as I already said before.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

PhoenixAsper wrote:
There's not much, if anything King can do to disrupt the game or Kitsune, Dragon and Pete's lives,
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:
PhoenixAsper wrote:
There's not much, if anything King can do to disrupt the game or Kitsune, Dragon and Pete's lives,
At least nothing within the bounds of the PG rating anyway and not without maybe acting out of character for him.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

rickgriffin wrote:
Sleet wrote:Who said he's be paid with money?
Why do you people keep thinking that?
because furrets are tricksy and false
rickgriffin wrote:Actually there's a completely different reason why he ended up not getting Grape. No more spoilers now.
oh wait, we're actually going to hear about this and it's not just going to be unresolved forever?

this pleases me
ImageImage
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sinder wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:Actually there's a completely different reason why he ended up not getting Grape. No more spoilers now.
oh wait, we're actually going to hear about this and it's not just going to be unresolved forever?

this pleases me
Really I hope I'm right about it and its coming soon, or at least Pete picks his avatar soon, hopefully both.
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

IceKitsune wrote:Edit: I guess she might have rejected him from the beginning anyway due to not liking magic. Or its because of that champion idea Rick brought up before that he said he might use later, and he was never going to have her as she is important to the game in another way.
Champion idea?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RootsofOrigin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Edit: I guess she might have rejected him from the beginning anyway due to not liking magic. Or its because of that champion idea Rick brought up before that he said he might use later, and he was never going to have her as she is important to the game in another way.
Champion idea?
Its been a while but IIRC: Originally Rick was going to call the Nerds having "Avatars" as having "Champions" but decided against it, and said he might use that idea/term for something else at a later time.