Free STEAM game: PORTAL

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Free STEAM game: PORTAL

Post by Typhon »

Hahaha you thought this thread was about illegal downloads and such huh? Well until May 24, PORTAL will be FREE. That's right, FREE. Legally! Here's the link if you want proof http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
Esquire Fox

Re: Free STEAM game: PORTAL

Post by Esquire Fox »

Augh, you beat me to it :lol:.

At any rate, if you haven't played it yet, or are looking for an excuse to play it again, download it now!
Even if you don't feel like it now, just download it for later ;).
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

I do need to play this game. *goes to download*
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Justice193

Post by Justice193 »

OMG free portal!?!

AWeSOoOME *downloads*

man, portal is such a freaking great game.
[acronym=© Justin TR Clark, May 11th, 2010.]*It is not enough for us to simply pursue our dreams; we must lift our enemies to their feet.[/acronym]
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

So much want. :O Thanks for the heads up!
RG; Seb & Dahlia
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Yup. Valve is doing this to celebrate the launch of Steam on the Mac. As it would so happen, Portal is the first of their games to be refitted for cross platform play.

Personally, I can't wait for TF2 and L4D2 to get the same treatment...More people to play with!
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

If it does, then TF2 here I come :3

anyways, I want the Cake!

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Did you guys hear about the Counterstrike Source update?
Yes, apparently , after 6 years value is still updating it,
now thats dedication.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Did you guys hear about the latest "free" business model that all the best indie and even mainstream games are undertaking? Apparently the best way to make money is to give everything away and not ask for any!

I believe them when they say no strings are attached but I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop; what are they going to come out with next? Will half life 3 hit digital shelving with a name-your-price tag? Or will it just be flat out free?

I don't care that I paid for it, I mean, I'm downloading it so I can play it (again) on my mac. I just think that it's a little less than intelligent. Seriously, this series of cheap/free offers everyone's putting out is kind of demotivating me from buying games when I can instead wait for the promotional "this is delicious game, you must play it" giveaway that happens a year or couple of years later.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Zander

Post by Zander »

I bought it when it first came out for PC....

anyway, portal 2 is coming out soon so yay!
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Justice193

Post by Justice193 »

Ebly wrote:Did you guys hear about the latest "free" business model that all the best indie and even mainstream games are undertaking? Apparently the best way to make money is to give everything away and not ask for any!

I believe them when they say no strings are attached but I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop; what are they going to come out with next? Will half life 3 hit digital shelving with a name-your-price tag? Or will it just be flat out free?

I don't care that I paid for it, I mean, I'm downloading it so I can play it (again) on my mac. I just think that it's a little less than intelligent. Seriously, this series of cheap/free offers everyone's putting out is kind of demotivating me from buying games when I can instead wait for the promotional "this is delicious game, you must play it" giveaway that happens a year or couple of years later.

I don't buy it... the statistically best price to charge for a game is around $14-$17, high enough to look valuable, and low enough to look like a bargain.
if by free they mean that the game is free, but some of the content isn't necessarily free, or content that comes out later; yes, that is a very profitable way of making games, it assumes that they'll get a large audience however; so what you'll see happening is them making a bunch of smaller free test games, to test out some concepts and see how many people like/hate them, and then build a game they'll sell around whatever model they've built off those tests, almost guaranteeing them success with the game you're paying for because they already know people will love everything about it.

I should also mention that there are also those that develop specifically for companies such as Indiegames, Armorgames, Kongregate and even Nitrome's gotten in on the action: they make money through their mochie coins, which are used to purchase everything from stuff for your avatars, to unlocking extra content in your games, and they will pay companies to make games for their sites.
[acronym=© Justin TR Clark, May 11th, 2010.]*It is not enough for us to simply pursue our dreams; we must lift our enemies to their feet.[/acronym]
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

What are you talking about? I was making fun of a recent theme: giving away your games for free or not far from it.

I can vouch for the legitimacy of this topic. It's the full game of Portal, 100% free, for both platforms. The "name-your-price" thing I was referring to is the humble indie bundle that's mentioned in the topic called "spread the love". I'm just saying that these publicity stunts are wide open for abuse, and send off the message that if you just wait, the super-expensive game you want will eventually fall right into your hands.
Justice193

Post by Justice193 »

I was trying to explain what I had explained to me when we asked a couple developers why they were doing similar things...

portal was more of a concept than a game anyways, that ended up being an unexpected hit. I'm surprised it wasn't freeware already, as it's never been looked at by the industry as anything more than a happy stroke of luck, and there comes a point in a games life when a company simply isn't making money off of it anymore, so releasing it free gives the few people who didn't buy or pirate it, some incentive to at least check it out... most people wold never be willing to wait more than two years to play a good title.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

> Implying Portal isn't being turned into a commercial series

I don't know what point you're trying to prove. Their intentions aside, Portal still did make a large amount of money in its own right and looking on it as nothing more than "a happy stroke of luck" seems derogatory to a degree. It's been massively successful on its own, let alone as a part of Orange Box, with Orange Box as a safety net in case it flopped. Even if that success was luck and nobody involved was expecting it, to refuse to view it as an impressive, profitable game even when standing alone is not something I can understand. There's a reason they directed more resources into Portal 2.
Justice193

Post by Justice193 »

> Making assumptions :P

of course, that is also the reason they haven't made portal 2 freeware, they knew the second one would be a success, and portal(1) being free is now all the more reason for people to want to buy portal 2, they should expect to see sales of portal 2 pick up again for awhile before dying off again, there was really nothing more they could do to try and bring in profits with portal(1), despite how largely successful it has been, at this point it's been played by almost everyone in the gaming community, and almost all of their current income from it are from people repurchasing it due to lost copies. or picking up a copy of the orange box for the 'ol team fortress & half life, which they get way less profit from ever since Steam became popular.

besides, it's only free temporarily.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

I bought L4d2 the moment it came out. It soon dropped down to 30 bucks. Did i have any regrets? Nope. The fun i would have not enjoyed during the time it was full priced would have cost me more than 20 bucks in boredom dollars. So i have no regrets paying it for full price, and if it went free tomorrow i still would have no regrets.
metaecho

Post by metaecho »

This will be my first time playing portal... as soon as I get on my comp I'll download it. I CANT WAIT!
HELLO THERE
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

"A happy stroke of luck" is nowhere near what Portal looks like in the industry. Actually it's likely more like a giant flag saying "HEY BIG MONEY MAKING COMPANIES, YOUR BEST BET IS TO INVEST INT HE LITTLE GUYS WITH BIG IDEAS."

Ebly: I definitely do see your point, people might get the wrong message, but then again I already wait till the price tag goes down a bit on games. I'm sure developers would make tons more cash if the average price for a new game was like 50 bucks (American) rather than 60, or 100 bucks for the "super special deluxe edition." From what I understand, games are expensive because we, the consumer allowed them to be expensive, and the price was arbitrary.

Then again I am not a clever man, I could be wrong here.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Icharus

Post by Icharus »

This was a pretty sweet deal. I had always wanted to play Portal.
Though it just reminds me how old my computer is: every time I fire a portal my graphics card spazzes out and threatens to crash. Just like with all my other games.
Anyway, I had my doubts there for a bit, thinking this might not be a "legit" offer. Cool beans!
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Have you cleaned out any dust etc? Thats not normal...
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Icharus wrote:This was a pretty sweet deal. I had always wanted to play Portal.
Though it just reminds me how old my computer is: every time I fire a portal my graphics card spazzes out and threatens to crash. Just like with all my other games.
Have you heard of the magic smoke?
It is what keeps your entire computer running.
When it is released, suddenly everything stops working.

You probably need to upgrade your graphics card (if you aren't just running on on-board graphics to begin with).
Chances are if you bought your computer in the last 3-4 years, it will have a PCI-e x16 slot.
You can get a high performance graphics card to fit this slot at a pretty low price now-a-days.

Of course, it could be an entirely unrelated issue. I don't have enough information to know for sure =P.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
JakJak

Post by JakJak »

I made a steam account just for this.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

JakJak wrote:I made a steam account just for this.
Smart move, smart move..
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Post by DarkHeartsAndSuch »

Speaking of Steam, I'd like to know what everyones name is there... Not having Steam friends is really boring some times...
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

get ready, this'll blow you away:
teh_brawler
:shock: :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Teh Brawler wrote:get ready, this'll blow you away:
teh_brawler
:shock:
I don't believe it! Completely unexpected!

Anyway, mines
DarknessCombined
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:
teh_brawler

Anyway, mines
DarknessCombined
You're going to have to invite me, as the only game I have is Portal, and I can't seem to add friends. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Teh Brawler wrote:
DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:
teh_brawler

Anyway, mines
DarknessCombined
You're going to have to invite me, as the only game I have is Portal, and I can't seem to add friends. :P
I did, and I only have 2 games... Portal and Audiosurf

RP Characters