card games lol

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Mystic Wolf

Re: card games lol

Post by Mystic Wolf »

LOL, I'm not English, so I'm probably creating new words x3. In Spanish Mazo=Deck
Do you want me to level up? Click here! Shame that I can't show the pic here due to the size...

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Ohhh, that makes a lot more sense to me. I thought it was some sort of main strategy when playing or something. :P
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

Nooo! xDDD
Do you want me to level up? Click here! Shame that I can't show the pic here due to the size...

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Our three-round tournament managed to be over in about an hour. Virtually every single person was playing an aggressive deck, so the games were done well before the time limit! I was playing a white and red Tempered Steel of my own design, and I ran up against a fairly aggressive splicer deck, a blue-green infect deck, and the guy who won's black-red vampire deck. I think the slowest deck there was a Soul Sisters variant! :lol:
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

A tournament!? *w* Next time I have to join! But... how? I'm in Spain :S

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I personally want to join another yu-gi-oh tournament...even if it'd mean spending a lot of money to upgrade my deck becuause I've not played for so long.

But, yeah, I'd enjoy playing a Magic tournament as well...just, my deck's not been altered yet because I don't want to mess it up before I know how to play effectively. :P
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

A friend and I are creating a deck... with an editor. Housepets! deck. I noticed that I can export that deck to apprentice deck. Anyone wants to help us?

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Hehe, a Housepets based Yugioh deck, that would be fun(ny)
Sent from my conifer.
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

Actually, it is Magic the Gathering x3

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Yeah that too even though I don't play Magic.
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Mystic Wolf wrote:A friend and I are creating a deck... with an editor. Housepets! deck. I noticed that I can export that deck to apprentice deck. Anyone wants to help us?
I can be a balance, color pie, and templating editor if you want. Those are three things that are often overlooked with custom cards!

I made a novelty deck based on Pokémon. Here are the cards.

EDIT: Here is a sample of what we've been working on!
Attachments
Rick Griffin.jpg
Rick Griffin.jpg (45.41 KiB) Viewed 17484 times
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Alex M. wrote:*Ehem*
I also play Yu-Gi-Oh, you know.
Oops, sorry about that! In that case, I challenge you to a duel! ... After I finish everything I missed from my week of absence! :lol:
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Sleet wrote:I made a novelty deck based on Pokémon. Here are the cards.

That's actually pretty cool. But... why is Ash black and red? XD
... Human Cheerleader tokens ...
Heh. :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:
Sleet wrote:I made a novelty deck based on Pokémon. Here are the cards.

That's actually pretty cool. But... why is Ash black and red? XD
I mostly made his abilities first, and then decided on what colors they fit in. That was black and red. Though it could be justified in that he's impulsive and ambitious!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

While that is true, black / red is usually associated with... well... wanton destruction =P Maybe red / white would work better?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

+1 ability: This effect is red. See Magus of the Arena or Cyclops Gladiator.
-2 ability: This effect is primarily blue, but is also justifiable in black. See Enslave or Captivating Vampire.
-6 ability: First strike is primarily red but could also be white, and deathtouch is primarily black but could also be green.

Red and black is the simplest color combination that fits the top-down design I made. Added to the fact that it's decently appropriate for Ash from a flavorful perspective, I think it's the best choice.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

So! There's a new MtG set out. I though the new mechanics seemed neat, and it had been a while since I got new cards, so I went and picked up a few packs at my friendly neighborhood comic book store. The set seems to have this neat Gothic horror feel to it. Also, werewolves versus vampires done right. >:3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's also ghosts and zombies! And they printed a fox card for the first time in like 7 years! ^_^
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Which was the first card I saw when I opened the first pack. x3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I squee'd so hard when I saw that card revealed. It was in my first booster pack too. ^_^
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Hey, listen! Hey, listen! H-*smacked*

Anyway, new Magic set. The full visual spoiler has been released here. There are a lot of really neat cards there. Even the ones that aren't especially good. We've got cards that come back as zombies when they die, cards that have a bonus when you're on your last legs, a running theme of the number 13 ... oh, and hats. Lots of hats. Frankly, I'm excited. x3

Also! Two cards from a couple sets ago. Rally the Forces and Into the Core. When you see it you'll *mumble'd* bricks. =P

"Drive them back! Make their underworld into their grave!"
-- Koth of the Hammer

"They believe they're driving us back, but we're leading them to their doom."
-- Kethlek, furnace stoker

... Well, I though it was kinda neat. Carry on!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You didn't realize that? Man, what's wrong with you? :B

So, this set is totally cool. And the furriest set since the Kamigawa block! There are wolves all up ins. Of both the regular and were varieties.

Such as these sweet guys:

Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

I used to both collect and casually play Yu-gi-oh and Magic: The Gathering. I used to make themed decks that functioned pretty badly.

I have only one MTG 'deck' left, its got too many cards and isn't optimized but I was never a great deck designer.

Lands
9 x Island
8 x Forest
1 x Urza's Factory

Total: 18

Creatures/Artifact Creatures
2 x Sawtooth Thresher
1 x Solarion
1 x Pentavus
4 x Myr Servitor
2 x Myr Retriever
2 x Trinket Mage
2 x Chronozoa
2 x Suncrusher
1 x Clockwork Vorrac
2 x Skyreach Manta
1 x Willbender
1 x Kaho, Minamo Historian

Total: 21

Artifacts
1 x Phyrexian Altar
2 x Infused Arrows
2 x Heliophail
4 x Wayfarer's Bauble
1 x Defense Grid
1 x Serum Tank
2 x Dragon Blood
2 x Chromatic Sphere
1 x Energy Chamber
1 x Evolution Vat
1 x Millstone
1 x Clearwater Goblet

Total: 19

Enchantments
1 x Doubling Season

Total: 1

Instants/Sorceries
2 x Channel The Suns
2 x Commune With Nature
1 x Long-Term Plans
1 x Fabricate

Total: 6

Total Cards In Deck: 65

I often suffer from minimizing the amount of land in the decks I have. And the Millstone, Willbender and Kaho I know were actually in another deck I used to have.

The sad thing was my brother had two 70+ card decks that would always wipe the floor with any deck I had.

Although I had some real fun times playing MTG at high school. I often would make decks with themes rather than power, for example I once had a deck that was just basically walls. I also at various times had did the follow 'tribal' decks: Cats, Zombies, Soldiers, Knights, Minions, Ninja, Beasts and Foxes (Kitsune)

Looks like I need to start collecting again...If only my cousin didn't get in trouble with the only guys left in town who still plays...
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just a tip, but a 65 card deck should, on average, have 26 lands. You have way too few. Also, a deck will almost always perform more effectively with 60 rather than more. If you could cut it down to 24 lands and 36 other cards, it'd work a lot better.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Yeah I know, but I don't 'know' if you get what I mean. Out of decks I ever put together in my spare time I can only think of two which have ever had 24 lands. I was a little better at keeping close to that when I first started collecting. Just have come from a playing experience where the name of the game was 6+ people at a table playing. Universal first target often being me because back then I played a faster, more aggressive stance. I fell back into a real non-land heavy deck style because my cards at the time lacked and I couldn't pull off what most could so back then I thought, more spells, creatures = better which of course isn't necessarily true. And as you can see it became a bad habit.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Building a worse deck forces you to play less aggressively, but it's even better to build a good deck and then intentionally hold back to prevent threat. That way you still have weapons if you need to go all out ever.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Seeing those wolves you posted the other day, Sleet, has single-handedly changed my mind about this game. A good number of my friends have been trying to get me to play for months now, and I've been resisting, but now I want to play. :B

Y U GOTTA SHOW ME FURRY MAGIC CARDZ
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh there are plenty more~

It's a really great game. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it! Feel free to come here with any questions!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

KJOokami wrote:Seeing those wolves you posted the other day, Sleet, has single-handedly changed my mind about this game. A good number of my friends have been trying to get me to play for months now, and I've been resisting, but now I want to play. :B

Y U GOTTA SHOW ME FURRY MAGIC CARDZ
It's a great game to play casually with a couple friends.
And you can build some pretty good decks on the cheap if you're worried about that kind of thing.
You should totally start playing.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about spending too much money. The last TCG I actually got into was Yu-Gi-Oh, and my god did I spend waaaay too much money on that stuff. XD

Before that the only cards I ever collected were Pokemon (I've still got a HUGE binder full of them), but I never actually played the game because no one really understood how to play it, and those that did thought it was pretty rubbish compared to most TCGs. I just collected the cards, but I got those for free because my parents bought them. They literally bribed me with Pokemon cards so that I wouldn't get in trouble at school. I'd get like one or two cards for every week I went without a note home. :p It was pretty bad; but it worked!

I've also got a pre-made deck of the Star Wars TCG and a couple packs of the WoW TCG, but I've never actually played those games. I just bought the WoW stuff for the chance of something good for in-game, and I don't even remember why I got the Star Wars one. I never was able to get into Magic when I was younger (I know it was around because I remember hearing plenty about it) because it has a lot of more adult themes and some of the cards could be kinda creepy to younger kids, so my parents steered me pretty clear of that. It also didn't help that I went to a school that actually ended up banning Pokemon for being "evil", so you can imagine how they felt about the less "childish" looking TCGs. Yu-Gi-Oh though, for whatever reason, was never banned. O__o Still don't know why that was. But whatever. That place was pretty wacked to begin with.

tl;dr Definitely don't want to spend too much, but I'd like to get into the game; ideally crafting the furriest deck possible. :p
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Magic is a very healthy and well-supported game, from both the primary and secondary markets. If you're on a budget and don't plan on playing in official tournaments (or if you do but don't mind an uphill battle), it isn't hard at all to play. Preconstructed decks (intro packs) are pretty affordable, and unlike Yu-Gi-Oh!, all the best cards aren't higher rarities; there are some great ones that are hard to find, but even without them there's good stuff. That Young Wolf I posted earlier, for example, is an amazing card and it's the lowest possible rarity.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, that's certainly good to hear. I doubt I'll ever play it with anyone but my friends, but most of them are pretty darn good at it by this point (and all have pretty powerful decks of varying annoyance factor; several of them have straight-up troll decks), and I'd like to actually be able to compete with them beyond getting a lucky win because no one actually paid attention to me. :p
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's still doable, too. Deckbuilding skill means as much to a good deck as good cards.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

I think I might remake some of my older, better decks (like my old pure-black Minion deck was sorta fun or maybe try around to actually make a decent kitsune themed deck), then perhaps see if my brother and relatives have any time to come over and hang out for a few hours. Hopefully they don't just just counter with proposing to play 'Duels of the Planeswalkers' online. Its not as fun (although I win far more against my brother) using just a limited set of decks and having a chance that somebody de-synchs, ending the game prematurely.

Although I must admit most of my best performing decks I made where black decks. I don't really want to make three different kinds of decks that use black cards. And I still don't know if anyone I knew would consider playing a little more often than once in a blue moon. So deciding to start collecting again is not certain (although one of my youngest cousins that likes me has started collecting)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've got eight decks with black cards, myself (though only six that can make black mana). Granted, only one is all black. I have sixteen decks, so it's not like every one of your decks needs to be different colors.

Also, you can always play over PMs or IM if you're patient enough. I do a lot of that.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

So, a guy I play with noticed that I use artifact decks a lot (maybe too much), so he bought 4 Shatterstorms.

In retaliation, I'm going to be building a vampire slayer deck to counter his vampire deck. Which he actually thought sounded like a neat idea. This should be interesting. =P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Creeping Corrosion is a green alternative. As a player of an artifact deck, I hate that card. :lol:

I would recommend Elite Inquisitor against draculas. Not only does it tear them apart, it's also a really good card on its own. 2/2 first strike and vigilance for 2 mana? Count me in! Slayer of the Wicked is a bit less elegant, being much worse when not fighting against those creature types, but if you insist, it can work. Then we have Wooden Stake, possibly the most pinpointed option you have. That card will be almost worthless against non-vampires. Blazing Torch is pretty sweet too, 'cause it provides unblockability and can also snipe a dracula if you want, but generally speaking draculas don't do a lot of blocking anyway.

Be careful you don't go overboard with hate. On one hand, I'm really jealous of you guys that you have an interactive metagame. My friends mostly just like to make decks and beat them against each other. There's no tweaking and determining what's good against the other players and decks. On the other hand, if you focus too hard on crushing your opponents' decks, it can frustrate people and make the game less fun for everyone. That's why I recommend having a deck that has answers to all they types of threats at your table, and often multipurpose ones like Elite Inquisitor (dracula slayer in one case, good, efficient 2-mana creature in others).
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Well I decided to get back to designing a deck similar to one of my more favorite older ones I used. Note that this design is incomplete, I've yet to find enough of my old cards to properly reconstruct it yet so I've had to do a lot of improvisation. I also have a sideboard for it as well, something which was quite uncommon for me to do in the past. Note the deck isn't designed for any form of truly competitive play either.

Black (Mainly) Minion Deck

Lands
2 x Cabal Coffers
22 x Swamp
Total - 24

Creatures/Artifact Creatures
4 x Duskwalker
4 x Dirty Wererat
2 x Overeager Apprentice
2 x Gloomdrifter
2 x Painbringer
2 x Treacherous Werewolf
1 x Crowd Of Cinders
1 x Dauthi Cutthroat
1 x Darksteel Colossus (not a minion I know, but yet to find enough of my minion cards yet, or my other cards)
Total - 19

Sorcery/Instants
3 x Soul Burn
2 x Bond Of Agony
1 x Vicious Hunger
1 x Douse in Gloom
1 x Plague Wind
Total - 8

Enchanrments/Enchant Creature(aura)
4 x Patriarch's Desire
1 x Necromantic Thrist
1 x Fear
Total - 6

Artifacts
1 x Doubling Cube
1 x Quietus Spike
1 x Throne Of Bone
Total - 3

Total Amount Of Cards In The Deck - 60

SIDEBOARD
4 x Befoul
2 x Cabal Ritual
2 x Gloomdrifter
2 x Cabal Surgeon
2 x Painbringer
1 x Tendrils Of Corruption
1 x Braids, Cabal Minion

Total - 14
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's not bad! The mana costs aren't the most efficient in the world, but if it's not a tournament deck, I think you did a pretty good job!

I should note, however, that your sideboard is illegal. It has to have exactly 15 or 0 cards in it, so you need another card.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

I plan on adding the 2 x Drain Life I know I have (but have yet to find) to the deck, and one of the resulting two cards removed would end up in the sideboard. Or maybe I should slot a cheap minion into the sideboard. Either way, I can't really make any real alternations to the deck, as in a few short hours I leave to go interstate and won't be back home for 2 weeks.