HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

valerio

Re: HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

Post by valerio »

Apartment 192, Level 19

The parrot was a big specimen of Ara MIlitaris, or Military Macaw. Not exactly a dignified exemplar, he looked like he had been just ruffled up like a dust sweeper.
Right now, he was perching on the parapet, waiting for the noises from his neighbors to stop, before going back into his apartment, where he was welcomed by a warm atmosphere, more proper to his liking. “Hmm, much better.”
“You’ll get a cold that way. Herbert wouldn’t like it.” The voice came from somewhere in the middle of the small-scale jungle the room had been converted into.
The parrot landed on a tree. “All worth it, Mac my dear! To see that son of a cop grounded is the best treat ever, to start our new life here, don’t you think?” Then he spoke in a perfect reproduction of Eric Bannister, “Son, if I ever see you around that cat again, I’ll ground you into next Christmas!”
“Creative,” said the voice from the grass. “But you better not force that dog’s paw. Retrievers make for good hunters, you know that. Not to mention that Herbert doesn’t want a cop on his back.”
The parrot scoffed. “Oh, and since when you’re worrying about Dad’s well-being, Mr. Sensibility?”
A pause, then, “Since he just got promoted and moved here to provide us a more comfortable housing. And if, this time, you spoil everything again, I will make sure it will be for the last time.”
Before the parrot could speak, something bolted out from the grass. The parrot found himself, suddenly, staring into the cold, cruel eyes of a Boa Constrictor. “Am I clear on that, Piper?” hissed the snake.
The parrot gulped, then caressed the snake’s muzzle, from which the forked tongue was flicking menacingly. “No need to say it twice, Macajuel. You know that there’s only one parrot at world I love like life itself. Can I get you a snack to show my appreciation for being still alive?”
The diamond-patterned emerald head lowered to the ground. “Don’t worry. Herbert left something in case of craving…” His gaze went to a mouse. A small grey mouse chained to the ground by a thick rope. He was desperately trying to gnaw at it, when he noticed he was being watched. He froze in fear, with shrunken pupils, knowing his time had come.
“Aw, too bad it’s my lucky day, meal. Do you want me to be swift or slow?”
The mouse didn’t respond. He tried to make himself invisible, curling up in a ball, his eyes tightly shut.
Mac tapped the mouse with his tail tip. “Hmm, last one tried to put up a fight at least. Hey, lower ring in the chain, care to entertain me a bit? I might consider killing you outright.”
Still nothing.
Macajuel rolled his eyes, shaking his head. “Kids, these day! Oh well…” Then, it was over. Just a blur of movement from the snake, and the mouse was gone, reduced to a bulging shape in the boa’s throat. The snake contracted his muscles to make sure to enjoy the crunching of the bones. He said he liked to do like when humans ate their hard candies.
“Hmm, that wasn’t bad, although rather…unamusing. Now I’ll take a nap. A suggestion, Piper: do not disturb me.”
The parrot waited five minutes. He had learnt all too soon since the first days living with that sociopath about his timetables. -4…3…2…1…and bingo! Down like a fawn shot by the heartless hunter! From there on and for the next two hours, Piper was more or less free to do whatever he wanted, as long as it wasn’t noisy enough to wake Mac.
Piper wondered if the local zoo accepted candidates, but for now he’d find another way to annoy his dear housemate…
Piper flew to a corner of the ‘jungle’, where another meal was waiting his, or rather, her fate. “Hello there, tootsie,” he said, landing. “You just look like a lady in distress.”
“As if you cared,” the female mouse said, while sitting, playing with grass. “Afraid that I will just curl up like a nice meatball? Want to have your share of fun? Because I could charge you.”
Piper walked to her. “For being such a little thing, you got the guts of a cat.”
The mouse was small, respect to the average of her species. At the words of Piper, she shrugged. “Hey, you only die once, right? So, why not make worth it? I promise I’ll give that sadist crawler something that he’ll remember. He’ll even hate digesting me!”
Piper’s eyes shone. “My dear, I would just love to watch such a show. But you know, it would also be such a waste.”
The mouse stopped playing with the grass. “And what do you mean with that?”
The parrot put a wing under his beak, as if reflecting. “Well, wouldn’t you enjoy more being a free mouse, free to roam into the great green unknown of this park, free to make yourself a new life, instead of waiting to become a morsel?”
The mouse mirrored the parrot’s pose. “Hmm, I really don’t know, I got such a busy schedule… But yes, I could find me some time to enjoy a long and food-filled life.” Then she tugged at the rope. “Too bad that my public really wants to make sure I don’t miss my performance, you know.”
“I could provide with that.”
“On a condition, I guess.”
“Smart girl. I knew we’d become great friends! It’s, easy, really.” Piper rubbed his wings. “I set you free, you do whatever you want to do, and you report to me.”
“That’s all?”
“That’s all. Freedom against information. Not bad a deal, what do you think?”
“That it sounds awful.”
“Beg your pardon?!”
“That expression, not your proposal. ‘Freedom against information’. Where did you learn to talk, mister? At an Italian polisicko party?”
Piper stuck his beak against her tiny body. “Lady, you’re the one candidate to become digested calories. Watch that smart mouth of yours!”
“You too wouldn’t, if you were about to—“
“Quiet,” came Macajuel’s drowsy, but unmistakably upset voice. It froze them both better than a gun aimed at point blank and cocked.
“I’m in,” the mouse whispered. “Just let me out of here before I start screaming until your big brother decides you are upsetting him.”
Piper just answered with the flag code –just to make sure. <I’ll also trade info for food. Every day. Noon. By the recycle bins. Deal?>

A few minutes later, the apartment’s door hissed open, and the tiny mouse slipped out. She also had a tiny, bright red collar on her –she had to concede it to that overconfident green meddler, he knew how to plan an escape.

When the door closed, Piper let out a long breath of relief.
The parrot took off for his room: he didn’t want to miss the next episode of E.R. reruns. He so loved it when some of those arrogant humans learnt their place after killing their patients!
Perhaps this wasn’t his best deal at all, but he had to try. More than gold, more than money, more than everything, information was the real trade market. With the right information, at the right moment, no door would stay closed. All possibilities were available! He had to be grateful to Dad for that: the human was the top broker for his insurance company, and Piper had often listened to his advices to make sure to put at best use all bits of information. Especially now that those privacy fanatics were trying to transform everyone in his own little, protected world!
Piper entered the room and landed on his soft, warm, heated, nest-shaped cushion. HmMMM! It also had a nice scent of flowers and feathers.
“Television!” He said to thin air. The sensors answered to his command, and the TV screen lit up. “Channel 140.”
The ads were still on. Piper made himself comfortable and ruffled up even more, humming a tune. “This place is so awesome.” And he would make sure to stay here, yessir!
Perhaps that mouse wouldn’t prove herself reliable, perhaps she would decide that running away from the building was an even better deal –okay, he could understand her. Not even he would live in the same building with Macajuel, given the chance.
But, again, even if the mouse ran away, Piper would be left with the satisfaction of depriving Mac of his meal. So there, crawling bully!
Which remembered him… “Sleeping room 2,” he said in a perfect imitation of Macajuel’s voice. “Set alarm: Deck the Halls by Twisted Sisters.” He gave the time, five minutes before the snake would wake up by his own internal clock.
Life was good.

Saga wasn’t sure she had stroke a good deal with that winged little monster, but it surely beat a short existence inside a snake’s stomach.
Much to her satisfaction, the mouse had discovered the elevator’s sensors were calibrated even for creatures her size. Heck, there was even a keyboard for creatures her size!
Saga was about to push the ‘downward’ button, hoping she wouldn’t end up traveling all the way down with a cat looking for a snack… Just to make sure, she rechecked her license, or rather, the one Piper had stolen together with the collar that came with a renewed life insurance. The parrot had said that Dad had happened to miss a file from time to time, he’d just file for a copy.
The license was for a ‘Princess Booke Winslow’ of Babylon Gardens. Meh, as if someone actually wanted to adopt a mouse. Humans were crazy.
But ‘Booke’ had a nice sound to it. It fit her quest. Saga Booke, shrink!
“Well, someone has the right to dream, no?” she said to herself.
The door opened with a ding, revealing that the cabin was, indeed, occupied.
Saga mentally facepawlmed. Lord, I don’t know if You have a strange sense of humor, but let me tell you loud AND clear: It’s NOT funny!
Occupied by a cat. A plump cat with long, jet black fur that matched the clerical dress he war, complete with white collar. “Why, hello, child. Please, come in.”
Saga sighed. She really didn’t feel like stepping down 19 floors and ending up so tired to run from her own shadow. “Thank you…father.” She said with the tone of one who’s walking to the guillotine. Well, at least this guy looked as if he kept an abundant diet. Perhaps he was too sophisticated for wild game.
The door closed. The cat smiled. Saga noticed he had a very serene expression and two deep green eyes. Even when he spoke, his voice reflected his serenity. “Please, child, I am no Father. I am Brother Lazarus.”
“Cool name. Are you aspiring to found a sect with the purpose of world dominion?”
The elevator stopped at the 10th Level. That was the only non-commercial area of the first ten floors: it hosted the congregations’ places of worship. Adam Gottschalk had been adamant about that: Hindus, Muslims, Hebrews, Christians, Wiccans, Shintoists, Gaeans… All major cults had a right to be represented, and he wouldn’t allow each one of them to monopolize a floor. So the deal had been, to each their corner, or no one would get a corner at all. If they all claimed to preach peace, they better learnt to share a common space instead of fussing like so many crybabies over territory.
Surprisingly, they had accepted, in return, the confessions would pay no rent and they would have their own room separated from the…competitors. Gottschalk kept his cameras open, for what concerned everything out of the confessional. No mixing hate with religions, or it was out at first strike.
Saga followed this strange Brother Lazarus out of the elevator –what the heck, if there was a place where to find sanctuary, this was the one. In fact, it was like walking into a religious Switzerland! Saga had never seen so many color, heard so many sounds, smelled so many scents from all over the world! “Do they celebrate Kwanzaa as well?”
“Yes. And the Order of Saint Anthony Abbot got its chapel… But maybe you want to be a bit more comfortable.” The cat extended his paw.
Saga shrugged and hopped up. Brother Lazarus helped her on his shoulder. “I noticed you staring. And I admit that a cat in a cassock is not an usual sight.”
“Yup.”
While passing by, they were greeted by several representatives of different orders. He waved them back. “I was ordered because, in my case, I was actually protected by the Lord for the intercession of Our Saint Anthony. In the City Pound, twice I was put down and twice I was reborn.”
Saga’s eyes went wide. “No frick?”
Lazarus shook his head. “I was just another unclaimed stray for them to get rid of. I had nothing special, held no gift or mundane possession. Yet I was given the choice to live. To the humans, I was just a curious accident in their routine. To my Church, I was a miracle in the same month Our Lord was born. And here I am.” He sighed. “The Daily Facts points at me as a symbol for animal rights. In truth, I just think I am a humble servant whose purpose, now, is to help the defenseless.”
“Well, bless you, they surely picked up a nice ivory tower to work.”
“Don’t overestimate the appearance: I run my blog, I work with the PETAID network, and I personally help sorting the applicants to live here. Not to mention that pets love my services.”
“Mmh, you’ll have your fans to keep at bay then.”
“That would be sin of vainglory. My house is open to anyone who asks for sanctuary, and I will help everyone I can to find solace or a safe place.”
“Ferals are welcomed, then? I can’t imagine this place with a sign reading ‘Now serving customer #…’”
They walked into the chapel. It was a small affair, in wood and brick, not the trace of a nail. There were statues and painting of the Saint always with at least an animal, even cattle. Judging by the general scent, that was definitely the right place for humankind’s best pals.
Brother Lazarus chuckled at Saga’s words. “No, I do that outside. I take my daily stroll around the park and check for some lost souls, then I’ll go visit the zoo for the benedictions and some comfort, and then I serve at the soup kitchen outside the compound.”
“Well, you’re surely one busy kitty.”
Lazarus sighed again. “Never enough hands to help, though I surely don’t lack volunteers. In fact, this is the right place to ask for help. I couldn’t find a more sensible boarding.”
“And…” Saga tipped her fingers. “Would you care for a couple of tiny paws to help you?”
Lazarus smiled broadly. “Why, thank you. I still don’t know how you could be of use, I must admit it, but if fate led us to meet, it must mean something. What’s your name, little one?”
When the mouse answered, she hoped the ceiling wouldn’t collapse on her head. She held out her paw. “Saga. Saga, er, Booke. Charmed.”
And so, her new life at Terrace High started.
So there for kicking me out, Mom!
Last edited by valerio on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

A note.
I loved to introduce our first true antagonists, created for the occasion by none other than Rick Griffin himself! UBERYAY! They are a sure bet for troubles to comes!
Saga was created by THE GAME. She's not the bad girl, here nossir!
About Lazarus: I just came up with this guy, and I felt I owed it to an exceptional story I recently read about. Andrea, a stray in Utah, was twice put down by gas by the shelter after no one claimed him in the usual 30 days-wait. And he actually survived and one of the shelter's staff ended up adopting him
So, congratulations for this true miracle, Andrea, and may your life be happy and plenty. You deserve it!
valerio

Post by valerio »

The Greenhouse Botanical Garden, Terrace High

“I’m sorry,” said the woman.
The man didn’t listen, despite being obviously the only one she was addressing too. He was interested in the blooming of a tall bush of flowers that looked just like scarlet spiders, hanging from their thread.
“Mr. Hector Garcia?” the woman insisted.
Without turning, the man said, “Grevillea Oleoides. Otherwise known as Red Spider Flower. Very common, in Australia, in the area of the South Wales. But still a fascinating sight for those who can’t afford a ticket to that place, don’t you think?”
“Yes, I agree on that.” The woman looked around. The GBG was a vast structure, a mosaic of differently polarized crystals so to reproduce a particular shade of light, while climate control reproduced to the last degree of humidity the various environments needed by the plants from all around the world to grow. Even the residents were allowed in small, scattered groups, and every time they had to pass from a hall to another, they had to be cleansed from all possible contamination.
It wasn’t exactly like going to a less controlled botanical museum, but it was worth it. A couple of hours spent at the Greenhouse were a…refreshing experience.
“Mr. Gottschalk was right on wanting a display of both common and rare specimen. It would be such a waste, to focalize only on the rare plants, as if those were found everywhere…” He clasped his hands. “But I’m being extremely rude. You would be, madame..?”
The woman extended her hand. “René Jackson, and don’t worry: you’re preaching to a believer, here.”
The man’s expression which, a moment before, despite the smile had held a wary nuance, beamed up. “Of course! You’re our latest garden maintenance. I was expecting you.”
“Are you the head of Human Resources?”
The man laughed. “Madre de Dios, no! I wouldn’t have time to sit up from my chair, should that be the case. No, I am head of the garden maintenance staff. Which, I fear, will be the death of me all the same. To keep this park neat and tidy, one must have a third eye and a supplementary pair of arms.”
“Sounds like a tough job. It won’t be worse than working at Babylon Gardens. There, the pets were, let’s see, more inclined to communal anarchy.”
“I can imagine it. You were lucky, madame, to be working there. Must be a great place.”
René nodded. “Best ever. Too bad the Administration had to cut the budget.”
Hector frowned. “I thought the Milton ferrets covered for all expenses.”
“In theory, they could, but they are not the owners of the community as a political entity, despite being the owners of the land it is built on. If they poured their money into the council’s account, that would be tantamount to corruption. It seems it’s still frowned upon.” She sported an ironic smile.
“Scandalous!” Hector said. “And that brought you here. Me, I and my girl come from Colombia. Things were somehow…more difficult. We owe it to this ex-marine if we’re here safe and sound, he paid for her cures and our moving.”
Of course, René wasn’t surprised to hear Mr. Garcia had a pet, it was practically a prerequisite to join the condominium. She was admired, though, that he and her had made it from such a difficult place. “Is your girl around? I would like to meet her.”
“No problem.” The man sidestepped, revealing the figure that had been hiding behind him all the time. “Miss Jackson, meet Alandra, the flower of my life.”
René found herself facing a petite exemplar of Maine Coon, with a more scattered pattern color along her body and a shorter fur. Her eyes were two green pools.
“Dad!” She said in an indignant tone.
René felt an instantaneous, strong desire to hug her and protect her. She squatted down and offered her hand. “Pleased to meet you, Alandra. You know? My daughter could be easily your old sister.”
The cat shook hand with her whiskers and ears twitching with curiosity. “She’s a Maine?”
“Yup. And one with some character. Her name’s Tegan. Would you like to meet her?”
At those words, Alandra immediately let go of the human’s hand and ran back behind her Dad.
“She’s just acting,” Hector said, ruffling her head. “Sometimes, Ali just wants to stay with me, and we just moved. Give her time, and she’ll befriend everyone in the building.”
René toyed with a tuft of fur from Alandra’s ear, making her giggle –my, this creature was a concentrated of adorableness. She was bound to have many boys fight for her attentions! “Then why not start with Tegan? Hold on, I’ll call her.” She stood up, took her phone and speed-dialed her daughter… “Tegan? Love, where are you? Yes, perfect: stay where you are, I am sending you someone that you’ll love to meet. No, I am not being condiscendent, young lady. I think that you need to hang out with someone of the natives, so to speak. Yes, I see. No, I understood that when I heard your tone. That is why I think you need to think to something else right now… No! You cannot kill him, dear. Shame on you… Yes, I promise it won’t be wasted time. Or we’ll have a pizza dinner. Promise. Yes, with lots of anchovies. Love ya.”
René turned off the phone and put it back in her pocket. Then she turned to Alandra. “You will find her waiting in the hall.”
“I don’t know.” The cat was hesitant. “She sounds dangerous.”
René waved away the notion. “Rubbish! You will like each other at first sight, believe me. She was just upset because she had a fight with her boyfriend. A complicated thing. Just think you’re her pet therapy and everything will be all right.”
Alandra bowed. “Thank you for your interest, Ms. Jackson,” she said, then ran out.
“Thank you, Ms. Jackson. Alandra is swift in making friends, but she must first get over the first…impression of a new place.
“Is she afraid of new acquaintances?”
“No, well, not exactly. She spent most of her life indoor because of a chronic liver disease.”
René clicked her tongue. “Poor dear!”
“Well, that didn’t put down her spirit for sure: she never stopped being curious, studying, learning. She never wanted to be treated as a kitten, even if she’ll never stop being one, in my eyes.”
“I know the feeling.”
Hector’s eyes got lost in the memories. “Then she fell in love. His name was Antonio, street smart stray, very smart. He might not have been the charming prince, but in her eyes, that feral was the world, and I was happy for them. Until he died by the hand of a gang of drug dealers. That piece of yarn she wears around her tag is what it’s left of him.”
René shook her head. Life hadn’t surely been generous with that girl.
“So, she’s not afraid of making new friends. She’s just…afraid to get too attached to them. But with some luck, she’ll get through it soon. This place is quite the opposite of our old house.”
“Save for the green. I read some of your articles, Mr. Garcia: a man who love green as you do must be missing a place like Colombia.”
“True. But I can cope, as long Alandra and I have each other. Without her to give strength, I would be just another Latino bum hoping to sweep some reach people’s pavements.”
Hector accompanied René out of the crystal dome. It felt like walking out of Summer and straight into Winter. “I guess visiting the Greenhouse during working hours is not recommendable,” René said, shivering.
“Not if you’re on shift in there, otherwise you better be of sound constitution. Now, did you read your job contract?”
“Yes. And you underestimate yourself. You’ll make a great career. But I understand what you mean: without Tegan, I’d feel…lost.”

“Next stop: The Fulcrum. Passengers prepare to unboard.”
The Hexagon may be a magnificent structure, but if you wanted to cross it fast, you needed the Wagon. So it was called the set of five small cars running under the compound, between the parking lot and the surface, for the sake of visitors and residents both.
At the speaker’s announcement, Alandra stood up. It was all so exciting! Even after reading the brochures, before Dad bought this apartment, she couldn’t believe something so luxurious could come for so cheap! She and Hector had considered the other options for a long time, before deciding that, after all, since he’d have to work at the Greenhouse for his articles, and as head of park maintenance, buying an apartment at Terrace High was not really a problem.
Not to mention, they’d keep staying close to each other: he wouldn’t have to leave her alone when he’d go to work!
Yes, that had been the decisive factor.
Alandra got out the train and walked to the elevator. She entered, then said “Main Hall.”
The elevator started. The cat grinned. “So cool!” She had learnt part of her English through the complete Star Trek series. She hoped that Gottschalk would install turbolifts soon!
The elevator stopped. Alandra stepped out.

Tegan looked at the digital wall clock. She hoped Mom was right about this new mysterious friend-to-be, because she was really in a foul mood. Stupid dog! How could such a cute male be so dense?! Bino had made a mistake, marrying Sasha, she was a perfect match for Elliot!
“Shall I have something brought to you, madame?” William offered.
Tegan shook her head. For being a squirrel, that little guy was so…professional. “No, thank you. I’m just waiting for— The elevator dinged open at that moment. Tegan turned.
Shy-looking cat? Check
Little sister-looking cat? Heck!
Tegan’s jaw positively dropped. Yes, of course there were a lot of Maine Coons in the US of A, but one that managed just to look like Tegan’s litter sister..! For a moment, she was strongly tempted to call her ‘Jade’, but then she had to shake her head clear of those thoughts.
“Ah, Tegan, right?” Alandra held out her paw and introduced herself. “You okay?” she asked. “You look…dazed.”
Tegan was sure her expression leaned rather on the dumb side, but she said, “Wut? Oh, no, Jad—I mean, Alandra. Pleased to meet you, really.” And when the younger cat showed a big smile, Tegan felt like melting –heck, this gal was even cute like her little sister!
“So, do I remind you of someone special?”
Tegan sighed. “Let’s go the bar. I’ll explain everything in front of a cup of milk.”

Nothing would beat living in the Gardens, Tegan thought as she waited for her order, sitting at the table.
But nothing beat having everything you needed in the same building!
“It’s nothing special, really. The same old story, kittens are born, they get separated. And one never gets used to the feelings.”
“I’m sorry,” Alandra said.
Tegan tried not to feel like an insensible egotist, considering the kicks life had thrown to this kitten. If she had to spend half of her life in a bed because of her liver, she’d be crazy by now, but Alandra had found a way to make the best of that condition. Tegan thought she had just found a wonderful creature. “Not your fault. Jade and I spent seven wonderful months together, she was just like you. Shy at first, but she’d end up winning everyone’s heart in no time. She was adopted first, but I never heard about her since then.”
The waiter came with a tray with an aluminum thermos pitcher, two empty downturned cups and an assortment of Danish butter cookies.
“I think I could come to love this place,” Tegan said, smelling the cookies. She served some milk to Alandra. “What is that piece of yarn wrapped around your tag?” she asked, “Leftover of your latest play session?”
The other cat’s eyes went down. “It belonged to Antonio. It’s what’s left of him.”
Tegan wanted to be elsewhere, much far away. “He must have been a great guy.”
Alandra nodded, finding again her smile. “When I was sick, he’d cheer me up all the time, never missed an occasion to be with me. Mi chico was always filled with ideas. I kept up with my life because I knew I could count on him.”
Tegan sipped her milk. “I wish Elliot was like you—“ she said, with a dreamy expression…then she blushed, realizing she had said too much.
Alandra raised an eyebrow. “Elliot, like the pup you’re friend with? Do you mean..?”
Now Tegan’s eyes were burning. At this point, even a blind cat could have read her body and come to conclusions. “Yeah, so, he’s cute. And he’s a dog. So what?!” she snapped, almost expecting to see Alandra chuckling... No, expecting all the bar to explode into a jolly laughter.
Instead, Alandra Garcia was…smiling. In a friendly fashion, understanding, ears perked up and tail still wrapped around her legs. “It’s so sweet.”
Tegan’s eyes shrunk. If in shock or relief, she still must decide. “Pardon?”
Alandra ate a cookie –she must remember to tell Dad to buy some, never tasted something so good! “It’s so great that you harbor such feelings for someone beyond the species barrier. You shouldn’t be afraid, and Elliot is very stupid for not understanding your feelings. Why don’t you just kiss him and see once and for all if he’s the right guy? I mean, there are plenty of doggies in this building, right? Or do you want to grow old without a mate?” She sipped some milk. “Take it from someone who went through it, the hard way: life can be hard as it is. Without love, it’s unbearable.”
By now, Tegan was sure Jade had somehow incarnated in this cat. She was sure her sister would talk like her. “So, I should just…go for it?”
“That, or live in the indecision. And I am frankly appalled that you managed to grow 15 without a boyfriend. And you know what will be worse? If he decides he needs a doggie girlfriend, you’ll realize you wasted your life and get angry at himself as well.”
Of course, Tegan knew all of this.. She just needed her little sister to tell her. She needed someone who wasn’t just a friend, but someone she could trust.
And for some reason, this female she had just met was someone she could trust, she felt it.
Tegan emptied her cup, While refilling it, she said, “You know what? I’ll do just that! I’ll go ring to his apartment’s door and kiss the ghost out of him!”
Alandra grinned. “Great! When will you do it?”
The older cat’s ears lowered, as she fiddled with her cup. “Tomorrow..? Tops, really.”
Alandra facepawlmed: this was going to be hard, but at least she was happy. She was no longer alone, and most important, she had found someone to open herself with, someone who actually needed her.
And she was bound to make the best of it!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Yay Alandra and Hector! XD Continuity for the win!
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Alandra is gonna be one to watch me thinks. *Nodnod* Tegan as well of course(Eliot needs to wise-up), but Alandra, for the fact she has lost a love in the past, I think I'll be watching and hoping for her to find someone new.
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

arrg, for some reason the name Tegan is extremelly familiar to me. where have I heard that name before. it must have been on a film or something like that. oooh I can't remember.

I thinik elliot is just being silly. he should at least give her the benefit of the doubt and see if it will work out or not instead of just being negative about it.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Pretty fun stuff, as expected. Relationships abound, mischievoury occurring... this is quite great. =3
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Shirosune wrote:Alandra is gonna be one to watch me thinks. *Nodnod* Tegan as well of course(Eliot needs to wise-up), but Alandra, for the fact she has lost a love in the past, I think I'll be watching and hoping for her to find someone new.
If anyone is interested in Alandra's story. ;3

http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... 91&start=0

Read up through Chapter 4.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

And I am done playing catch up finally. Yay!

It is nice to see so many OCs after so much HP. I enjoy our favorite neighborhood, but a little palette cleansing is always appreciated! :D
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

“Well?” Daniel Elmer Carter, 38, New Yorker, graphic designer, 8 years working at the New Horizon advertisement agency before management had to cut the stuff (tough times, buddy, sorry! The Director had said, just after cashing his Christmas bonus may he rot in the depths of Tartarus for the eternity), asked.
“Well, what?” said the Pug, looking at the place he was supposed to call ‘home’ for the rest of his canine life
“Do you like it?” Daniel asked.
The man standing behind Daniel was, too, called Daniel –Daniel Eustace Cartwright, that is. 38, Londoner, moderately rich. He had always loved USA, and had been in close contact with his cousin since before the advent of e-mails.
When Daniel Elmer was of age to live by his own and earn through an honest, decent job, Daniel Eustace had joined him in the enterprise. Together, they had founded the DE2, turning their lottery-awarded apartment into their office for a new advertising firm. Something small to start with, while waiting to rent a real office in the condominium.
The Pug just snorted. “I guess it will do, for the time being. Of course, you could’ve consulted me for some appropriate redecoration before copycatting the old den. But, again, for some reason you think that Uncle Eustace has tastes.”
Daniel Elmer rolled his eyes. “And what would fit your tastes, may I ask?”
The small dog shrugged. “Surely not this stuff. I hope there is an interior designer in this building. He started walking around and sniffing. He definitely looked not pleased.
“Linus!” Elmer exclaimed, throwing his arms up. “This is not supposed to be some soap’s set! It’s our living and working space, exactly as it was intended for!”
For being such a small creature, the Pug was one with a presence. He turned and regarded his owner with his green eye, while his blue one seemed to be moving independently to Eustace –a thing that never ceased to spook the British cousin, who had nicknamed Linus ‘Marty’. “Boyo, in case you two didn’t get it, we are going for the big bucks, and decency requires that clients should be welcomed into a properly furnished and decorated house, not this…” his arm moved as if to embrace the whole apartment, “this hole. We need to show class, or people will think this is the basement of the DE2 Advertisement Agency!”
Elmer sighed. He knew that his dog was right, this place was far from the standards he was used to, yet… “What did you have in mind?”
Eustace kept his mouth shut, knowing that starting an argument with Linus would only lead to one and inevitable conclusion: he’d win.
“Leave it to me. Before night falls, I should be able to find someone to start working here, for a decent fee. But right now, I need the bathroom!” he took off, fast like an evil Gremlin, and before the two men knew it, the bathroom door had hissed shut. A moment later, Linus’ excited voice said, “Now, this is a classy place! Worst case, you could have your meetings here… Ohhh, there is TV too! You know, I could like it here, after all!”
Elmer and Eustace exchanged a terrified glance, for they knew that Linus had just claimed his exclusive territory! From now on, they would be allowed to use only the bathroom upstairs.
The doorbell rang, good old ‘ding dong’ style. “This way customers can relate to a familiar sound,” Linus’ voice came from the bathroom. “It helps them relax. Oh, and I hope you remembered to switch your cells’ tones to the old ring You don’t want to raise eyebrows with that Star Wars junk, do you?”
“May I kill him?” Eustace asked Elmer, while going at the door.
“I am almost tempted to allow you to.”
“Ungrateful barbarians!”
Eustace opened the door, revealing a black, white-pawed rabbit. He looked nervous, and kept looking behind himself, as if expecting to be pounced by a cougar. “Uh, is there… is there…”
“Linus, you mean?” the man asked, wondering who was this young chap. He didn’t remember any of their former clients to own a rabbit.
“Yes! Him! I’ll be a moment, please.” And he stepped in quickly. “And remember, you didn’t see me!” Before two very puzzled humans could ask what was going on, the rabbit had gone hiding behind a couch
The bell rang again a moment later. The humans looked at each other. “I won’t open,” Eustace said.
“Not me,” Elmer said.
The bell rang again.
Elmer activated the Entryphone. The color screen showed a silvery-furred male otter. “Yes?” he asked.
“Sorry to disturb you, Sir,” the otter said. “But I’m looking for a rather handsome young rabbit. Black, white paws. Did he pass by your place?”
This time, Elmer and Eustace decided it wasn’t the case to open. “No,” Elmer said.
The otter shrugged. “I see. Thank you.” The screen turned off.
Only the rabbit’s ears were perking from behind the couch. “Is he gone?”
The human scratched his head, before taking a look at the corridor’s screenshots. “Yes. He’s going to the elevator.”
The rabbit came out from his hiding.”Thank something! Now I only must wait until he’s swept the whole building. Shouldn’t take more than 12 hours. Mind if I wait here?”
The bathroom door opened and out came Linus. “Do you have some problem with your appeal, bunny-boy?”
“Yes! That…that thing decided that we’re star-crossed or something! And I don’t want to be a boy-magnet, for celery’s sake! You must hide me!”
Linus examined the unexpected newcomer head to toe. With some too much attention, to Shadow’s tastes.
“Erm, why are you looking at me like that..?”
“Because if you want to be a babe-magnet, you need some working, and I may be the right dude for you. What are your interests, species-wise?”
A moment later, Shadow was gone, followed by a hurried scampering of feet.
Linus rolled his eyes. “Pearls to swines. Anyway, guys, I am going to find someone to save this place. Hold off any potential client, or rumors will spread about your house-smart. See ya later!”
When the door was closed, Elmer asked himself, not for the first time, what in the blue world had pushed him and his cousin to adopt that…creature, back when they had just started living together.
And the answer was always the same: Linus was adorable to no end, he had those cute eyes of different colors, and was smart. Then he had grown up.
But they wouldn’t get rid of him, nossir: Linus may be a walking headache, but he had a natural talent for aesthetics. He had saved their butt more than once with his advises about clothing, accessories and style by now, Daniel and Daniel were sure that the Pug was Valentino reincarnated.
---
While waiting for the elevator, Linus remembered the thing brought you to the level you were looking for by vocal input. So, when he stepped in, he just said, “Interior designer,” hoping he wouldn’t have to fight against some stupid disembodied automatic voice...
But it didn’t happen. The doors closed and the cabin went down…

…until it stopped at Level 5. Of course, it stood to reason that the kingdom of furnishing & design would also host any correlated activity. But Linus wasn’t just looking for any idiot aspiring to fatten up his or her wallet…
What the Pug saw almost disheartened him: it was a competition among peones! Almost all of them offered variations on the same color and furniture pattern! As if ‘middle class’ meant ‘tasteless class’! Half of them would be gone before the year was over, Linus was sure. “Why humans boast so much about themselves is beyond reason.” Take a dictator, any dictator, for example: their taste and/or feng shui was so horrible that it was no surprise that they waged war any time they could. They needed to vent the stress…
Then his eyes were attracted by an oasis in the sea of banality: a shop with a single, small window. Nothing sappy, nothing flashy. Its sign consisted of a red-laquered wood panel displaying a yinyang symbol. Nothing else.
The window was another stroke of genius: it displayed…nothing, just a relaxing green silk display where your eyes and heard would put everything they wanted. A blank canvas waiting to be filled by your ideas and the shop owner’s knowledge.
Linus sighed happily, and walked through the doorless threshold. A sensor activated the recording of wind chimes.
He was greeted by delicate scents that made him think of open fields, peaceful glades. “Now this is more like it,” he muttered.
The small corridor he walked through opened into a one large room. ‘Spartan’ would come to the mind of the uneducated, but Linus knew that the stones, the streamlet of water along a wall, the flowers, and the four cones of light against the blue silk –all was studied to ease the mind, to transmit a sense of…completeness rather than forcing the mind of the customers into the patterns and colors of something they might not even want.
This was a place where decisions were made, not a showroom with loud ‘BUY!’ signs all around.
Linus climbed up a seat in front of a lacquered desk. He didn’t have to wait for a long time, before a portion of the wall in front of him opened, revealing a woman dressing in a formal attire, and the pet accompanying her.
Ommagamma! Linus had to bite down his lower lip at the sweetest of sights: the gal with the woman was a Shiba Inu, pure snow-white fur, spotless, and a set of crystal blue eyes. Her fur was smoothed down to make it clear she wasn’t one of them soft, spoiled doggies, no: her body was made of muscles, athletic, strong. And yet there she was, moving with the grace of a spirit.
Linus wanted to sigh happily like a pup, but he didn’t want to give his hosts a bad impression.
“Welcome,” the woman, whose features and voice spoke ‘Japanese’, said. She and the dog bowed, hands and paws clasped. “My name is Akuo Miyugi, and this is my daughter, Tsuki.” They sat down behind the desk. “How can we be of help?”
Linus cleared his throat. “Very honored. Linus Carter, Level 22, Apt. 225.” He recapped the housing situation at home. Woman and dog listened without so much of batting an eye –in fact, it was like talking to two statues, who happened to nod imperceptibly from time to time, just at the right moments to keep their client at ease. It was like addressing a psychiatrist, but after all, Linus knew, even a mundane thing like interior designing required a good knowledge of your client if you really wanted to do your job and not just dissect a wallet…
When Linus was done, Akuo nodded one last time. “Good. We will pay a visit to your apartment come next Saturday. We will take pictures, talk to your humans, and will work on the weekend to arrange a solution. Do you think there will be a problem with such arrangement?”
Linus shook his head. “None at all. I can’t wait to see the final result. And don’t worry if Uncle Daniel will make a fuss over it. Worst case, I will gag him and close him in the cupboard. Wouldn’t be the first time.” He stood up on the chair. He bowed, imitating his hosts. “It’s been a pleasure.”
“And ours. Can you do me a favor?”
Linus frowned in puzzlement. “Sure, name it.”
“My dearest daughter needs to socialize, and you look like you are the most suitable chaperon to introduce her to your culture. Would you do me the honor to help her out?”
Tsuki didn’t speak. She just threw a perplexed look at her owner. Linus was sure that any other American pet would have burst out Mooom!.
Linus bowed again. “It will be my honor and pleasure.” He hopped down the chair then walked out, obediently followed by Tsuki.
---
Shadow was breathless, to use an euphemism.
He could barely stand. His legs trembled. His chest hurt. His kidneys had given up the ghost.
But he was safe. Safe from that weird otter’s attentions. He had used up all his energies to reach this far corner of the park.
But what really upset the rabbit was that he was acting like his jittery brother, Zach! Shadow had made a point to avoid perpetrating the old ‘nervous rabbit’ stereotype, and here he was, acting like a girl! Stupid genetics!
Shadow leaned his back against the tree, while letting himself slide down to relax a bit. He decided that the next time that stupid otter would try to make a pass on him, he’d give him a piece of his mind, period. Then he’d start making some friends and have some fu*Uuf!*
Instead of hitting solid ground, his butt met thin air, and the surprised rabbit fell down a hole! “Whooaahh!” he went, while going down a tunnel.

He eventually landed on firm ground, and it hurt his tail. “Ow!”
Shadow looked around. “Silly ironic metaphors…” he muttered, before he realized where he was. “Oh.”
The place had been dug up by a professional, no doubt about that. The wide array of styles in furnishing denoted it belonged to a feral who knew how to dig in a landfill, and yet everything looked so…tidy, functional. This was no rugrat den, and it even had a small stove.
Shadow wondered who had built up this place. And, most of all, where was the owner—
Someone tapped at his shoulder. Shadow gulped. Please please please, let it not be a big mean badger, please!
Shadow turned, and met the upset face of a Basenji dog. “Er, hi?” He didn’t really know what to say, but this pup looked as if he meant business!
“What are you doing in my secret den?” the dog asked.
Shadow pointed at the entrance tunnel. “Uh, I fell? Didn’t know there was such a hideout here, man, honest—“ he had to interrupt when two strong paws grasped him by the collar and drew him to a snarling muzzle.
“I don’t care!” the dog said, venting the rage he had repressed so far. “This is my place, and if you don’t get out of here now I’ll—“
Ironically, that attitude had quite another effect on the rabbit, who was just fed up with looking over his shoulder like a frightened kit. Shadow pushed the dog back and against the wall! “You know what? My housemate can summon things with more fangs and attitude than you could dream to possess, mutt! So, if you have a problem with your neighbors and want to live like Diogenes, it’s your business! Mine will be to leave this stupid hole right now! Do what you want, I don’t care, okay?!” The rabbit then walked to the tunnel. “Sheesh, what’s with this place?! Never seen so many nutcases in one day…”
“Wait,” Kwesi said. This time with another tone, more…pleading? “Please.”
Shadow turned. “Yes?”
“Uh… Sorry for being so edgy, before. I…”
Shadow was puzzled. It was like seeing another personality setting in. And that deflated his anger, the rabbit couldn’t just be angry at someone so clearly repenting for his previous actions. “Don’t worry,” he waved. “I mean, only because I’m a rabbit, everyone thinks I can be pushed around, and that can make me really angry, though that’s not my character, really.”
The dog smiled, still looking away from his unexpected guest. “Hm, yes, something like that happened to me. That’s why, I…err, dug my secret den. Wanted my own, uh, Fortress of Solitude.” He sighed –at this point, better ask now and try to pretend he got a sincere response rather than living in doubt. “Will you tell someone of this place?”
Shadow didn’t hesitate, as he assumed a solemn pose. “Cross my heart, your Fortress of Solitude will be the best-hidden-super-secret ever!” then he winked at the dog. “Not to mention this place is also awesome!”
The dog’s tail wagged shyly. “R-really?”
Shadow nodded. “it’s warm, it’s cozy, it has everything! No wonder you like it here, your apartment must feel so…impersonal. Here you can feel at home, I’ll bet it!”
The Basenji sat down on the only mat. “Yup. You’re so right, this is…home.” He didn’t know why, but he felt as if he could really trust this rodent. He extdended his paw. “Kwesi.”
“Shadow.” They shook. “Listen, now I gotta get back, want to come to my place?”
Kwesi shook his head. “No, not really. I’ll take a nap here, but you’re free to come anytime.” It pained him to be so open, but he couldn’t risk raising suspicions or worse, with an aggressive attitude.
“Tomorrow will do?”
“Fine by me. Just make sure no one sees you coming in, or out.”
Shadow nodded. “Don’t worry! I’ll be discretion incarnated!” He started up the tunnel Kwesi was satisfied for dodging the bullet of a prolonged conversation…
A few moments later, Shadow was back.
“What happened?” Kwesi asked, back to panic mode.
“Uh, I think I’ll have to postpone: there is a group of pets playing just near the entrance. So…wanna talk about us a little, just to pass the time?”
Kwesi facepawlmed.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

world of warcrfat is eating my life! Sorry for the delay.
This was great as ever.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Gahaha, loved this segment. Seeing Akuo and Tsuki is so great, and that they have their shop is even better. And poor Shadow, he seems to be running from one problem to another faster than you can blink.

...now all we need is for an aggressively possessive female to become interested in the little bunny boy and the formula for a proper living nightmare shall become complete. *Nodnod*
valerio

Post by valerio »

From Apt. 305, at Level 30, the view was really impressive.
But the Rhodesian Ridgeback standing by the window/door of the living room wasn’t impressed in the least –or, rather, if he was impressed at all, he was doing a good job at hiding it.
But that was him, Volant Male, aged 18, just waiting for the day life decided to throw another bucket filled with unpleasant stuff at him. He could be patient, he knew it’d come, sure as the sun rose.
“You don’t like it here?” the colored man behind him asked. Adam Male tried to put a reassuring hand on his dog’s shoulder, only to feel the animal getting rigid.
Adam’s hand retreated. How long had they been together now? A couple of months? Surely not long enough for Volant’s inner scars to heal. And there were a lot of them, each one more painful than the other. But Adam never stopped hoping to see, one day, a glint of acceptance from this creature.
“I guess it’s better than your previous loft.”
‘Your’, not ‘Our’. Volant just couldn’t…relate to himself as member of a family, but how could Adam blame him? Not to mention that they had moved just short of two months after he had taken Volant under his wings. Sure, this place beat the everything out of that old, cold loft, but it had been yet another change for Volant, who now more than ever needed stability, a place he could one day call home.
Well, this time the odds were good. Very good, in fact. This wasn’t a place Adam had rented, this was an effing gift from the Blindfolded Goddess herself! It was his, his and Volant’s, he had made sure of that while signing all the papers: he had already written his will, in which he’d leave the place to his dog. Todd and Bill could pester him forever, but after what had they done to that poor creature they didn’t deserve nothing but some good butt-kicking!
“Care for a drink? A snack?”
Volant shook his head –which was an unusual response, since he had spent most of his life worrying over his next meal. “I think I’ll go explore the place. You don’t want me to stay in my room, right?” That last sentence had the tone of an accusation
Adam nodded. “Correct. This place is 100% pet-friendly, it’s not like in River Ridge. I don’t say that every pet you’ll meet will be the nicest person on earth, but it’s quite unlikely you’ll run into a crook. I mean, the rules about behavior here are very explicit, I read them.”
Volant shrugged his indifference at those words. He didn’t like his current owner, but he couldn’t just fight against him, not if he wanted to keep a roof over his head. And even if Adam kept being in touch with Volant’s previous owners, at least he was trying to make his life easier. He deserved that much.
Volant walked toward the door. “Will be back for dinner,” he said, not really believing it, but it made that stupid human smile.

Once in the corridor, Volant asked himself where he could find a spot where he could just lay without being disturbed. Surely not in the first ten floors, too much crowd, too much noise, too many stupid humans and their hypocrisy, too many brainwashed pets and their induced happiness.
Volant called for the elevator. Huh, it was easy to be happy when things went your way, when you lived in the illusion that your owner was a great guy because he provided you food and a roof. But let’s see how would those idiots be happy when they’d discover what jerks their precious ‘Dads’ and ‘Moms’ could be!
The doors dinged open. Volant stepped in.
The elevator cabins were large, and had been used by many humans and pets already, so Volant didn’t notice the scent of the small dog occupying it already when he had entered. And when the doors closed, it was too late to avoid unwanted company.
The other passenger was an Australian Terrier, sporting a very unusual feature: a mint-green spot where his black back spot should have been. Now, that was something you didn’t see every day.
Despite that, after a first puzzled look, the Ridgeback just kept looking in front of himself.
The elevator had reached Level 15, when the small dog said, to no one in particular, but of course addressing to his co-passenger, “How quaint.”
“What?” Volant asked, still looking in front of himself.
“Well, you’re the first new I met so far that is unhappy to be here. Or, rather, unexcited. Is it that bad for you to be here?”
“Is it that good for you to pry into other people’s business?”
“Whoa, was that a threat? Ol’ chap, you need to relax. I’m not your enemy, you know.”
“And I’m not your friend, so what?”
The elevator stopped. The doors opened. Volant walked out without caring for that upsetting small dog.

Outside, the chill air hit the big dog with an unpleasant whip. And yet, to him it felt better than the building’s enclosure.
Volant walked down the stairs and set foot into one of the snow-free pathways. Not for the first time, he wondered if he should just keep walking, until he was out of this place, out of that miserable fiction his owner was trying to lure him into.
Volant kept walking. A drizzle of snow was falling, now. He didn’t care, he just wanted to be left alone. He wanted…what? His old life as a stray? His first owners, so that they would abandon him again? Todd and Bill?
“I’m sorry that you feel that way, really,” said that familiar voice behind him.
Volant turned. And there he was, that annoying little dog! “And what would you know about me?” He asked, wondering if he was allowing himself to show his emotions. God, how he hated when someone could tell his feelings! Why did people pretend to care about him?!
The Terrier smiled to him. “I know that your scent is tinged with fear, rage, and other unpleasant things you’re trying to keep under a hard layer of self-control. You may be a big guy, yet you move as if you wanted to be invisible.”
Volant’s punch clenched one time, but he kept his emotions under control, when he said in a flat voice, “Again, so what? I have my reasons to be like I am. What reason have you to annoy me? Are you looking for a scout medal?”
“Ah, first joke! There is hope for you, fella. And no, I won’t offend you calling you ‘friend’, since we didn’t even properly introduced.” The Terrier held out his paw. “Elpis Karahalios, charmed.”
“If we shook, then you’ll leave me alone?”
Elpis kept holding out his paw. “No promises.”
Volant shook. Annoying, but…somehow different. Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to pretend listening, at least. “Why do you talk as if you can understand me? Apart from your name…”
“Yes, yes, you don’t need to stress on that, I’m not deaf. As for understanding you, yes I can –at least, I can understand that you feel bad, afraid to talk to other pets. I don’t know why, but they say that letting it out helps a lot. At least, it helped me.”
Volant regarded that funny-looking colored creature. “If you got bad aesthetic tastes, then you called it on you for being bullied around.” Again, he kept talking without particular inflections, as if he was stating today’s weather. This little guy must be spoiled to no end, to think that having a green spot of fur could be a tragedy.
“Oh, not that. I was born with it. And I couldn’t care less about it.”
By now, Volant knew he was in for a long ride. He kept walking. With some luck, the little guy would just decide it was too cold for his delicate butt and walk back. He didn’t need someone to open to, he needed silence, quiet, some room for himself. “Listen, thank you for your interest, Elvis, Elpis, but I really don’t feel like talking, okay?”
The small dog kept following him. “Great! Then we can keep walking around. I needed my daily exercise anyway.”
“And what if I told you to just go away?”
Elpis shrugged. “That this is a free country, and you can’t boss me around. And don’t give that ‘none of your business’ stuff: do you know why am I’m being so insistent? Because you’re not in the big city, where you can find a far street and hide in a corner like you used to do when you were a stray. Sooner or later, someone else will address you, and if you keep playing the hermit, you’ll be treated as such. I was like you, but I learnt to cope with my problems. So, yes, I think I am the most qualified to help you out of your shell, though I don’t expect a late Christmas miracle.”
But Volant had stopped listening after the word ‘stray’. “How do you know that I was a..?” He didn’t remember, for the sake of him, meeting this strange yapping pest. Perhaps his owner had sent him, telling him to play the casual friendly neighbor? That would mean that…that human was already going all boo-hoo with his neighbors. Please, help Volant, he’s got abandonment and abuse issues, he’s such a delicate pup in desperate need of a hug!
That casual thought was all that it took to make him go off. His fist clenched again, and the next thing he knew was that Elpis, with a yelp of pain, was falling down, a trickle of blood running from his nose. And, oh, heavens if it was gratifying.
His fist still clenched, Volant stood over Elpis, who was trying to sit up. He didn’t allow him to. He grabbed him by the collar and stared at him square in the eyes, showing his fangs, his back bristling. “This was the last warning, poodle! After that, I’ll start hurting you for real, got me?! You better—“ And then he saw them,.
Elpis’ eyes. Pretty green eyes that could have charmed any lady.
Empty eyes, the lids not even batting. Unmoving eyes.
Fake eyes.
Volant let go of Elpis. “Oh, God, I…” It had been a lot since he actually felt ashamed of himself. His paw went to the tuft covering his read eye, moving it aside, revealing the red-sclera orb in contrast with the normal right blue eye. But, at least, he could see with his damaged eye. This…this Terrier was…
Volant really wanted to tell he was sorry, but at that moment a flash of black and white fur was all over him, pushing him down in the snow. The Ridgeback yelped, instinctively tried to escape from his attacker, but it was like trying to move a mountain of fur and steel muscles. His arms were pulled back, then came the cold embrace of handcuffs around his wrists.
“You know, lad, I didn’t believe we could have a troublemaker among the new pets, and right on his first day here,” growled Athena. She dismounted then pulled the big dog up effortlessly. “Now, what about getting to know our nice cells?” Then she addressed Elpis. “Can you follow me, Sir? You need to be visited.”
The Terrier took a paper napkin from his collar. “Miss Athena, ma’am, please, you don’t need to be rude with him, he’s not a bad guy, really! It was my fault, I provoked that reaction! Honest!”
In the meantime, a growing crowd of pets was gathering around them. Volant felt humiliated as never before. This was a nightmare, he just needed to pinch himself and wake up!
Athena shook her head. “Sorry, Sir. Security is meant to be enforced: You will testify in his favor or against him, and decisions will be taken, but at the proper place, not here and not now. Can you follow me?”
Elpis sighed. “Yes, ma’am.” And he walked effortlessly behind her. Volant heard the residents’ whispered, angry comments at him for hurting a defenseless, smaller, blind dog. At least, the husky wasn’t doing other than leading him back to the building.

Among the bystanders, there was a particular couple of pets who, unlike the others, happened to have a specific interest in the matter.
“Butch, my dear friend, we need to go fetch our parents now, won’t you agree?” the orange-furred Persian cat said, dragging the larger bulldog with him. “And to think that Mom was afraid that things would be too smooth, here. Bad for business and all that yadda yadda. Come on, big oaf. We’re on a mission for law and justice!”
The bulldog just let himself guided back to the building.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Ah, another interesting chapter! It seems like we have lawyer's children.... :lol:

Tsuki has a suitor! Awesome! And shadow... :roll:
My characters
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

wow so many interesting new characters and story developments. I am loving it!
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Warreck & Verde, Attorneys at Law, Level 2

Fate worked in strange ways.
David Greene Warreck had known Melissa Verde during their years at high school first and they had kept seeing each other during university. It had never blossomed into a relationship, though: Melissa was an incredibly competitive woman, her world comprised study and career. She wasn’t a party animal, she didn’t care for looks or fashion, she considered her peers as competitors to crush. She gave a new meaning to the definition of ‘Ice Queen’, when it came to human relations.
But that also made her a great lawyer. Especially in regard of animal rights. Melissa’s parents, hoping to soften her a bit, worried that she wouldn’t make a good wife sometimes in her life, had given her a pet, a cat –and only because she had pointed at a random creature, back at the shelter.
Drake hadn’t been particularly happy for being chosen in that arbitrary, casual way, but eventually he had developed a strong bond with Melissa, who had discovered she had a heart after all. Her parents had only underestimated her determination to prove herself better than her four brothers.
David had never showed any interest in Melissa. At school, he too was too busy proving himself worthy of the expectation of his parents. At NYU, he had discovered Melissa’s soft spot by chance. Since then, he had been studying with her until the end of their courses: Richard Patterson, one of the Nuremberg Trial’s most notable figures, was their hero, and both had wanted to add Pet Rights to their portfolio.
It had proven a successful idea: even after going their separate ways, David and Melissa had managed to make ends meet with the numerous cases regarding pets. Discovering such a vast universe of abuses had been depressing, but at least David had done his part to help the innocents and pay his bills with a clean conscience.
Ironically, his last case before he went fully into his activity as corporate lawyer regarded the woman who would become his wife and the dog that he would call son, Butch.
A wonderful marriage, a happy family, though it wasn’t destined to last. Sam had succumbed to a tumor a few years later, leaving behind a widower and a dog very bound but afraid of starting again. David had immersed himself in his job, Butch had just…sunk, there was no other word to describe it. The poor guy had fallen into a severe depression, and David didn’t know how to help him.
And that was when Melissa had called him. Just like a sign of destiny. His old classmate had opened her own study at Terrace High, and now she wanted a partner. She was sure that work would not be a problem at all.
David was fairly sure she hadn’t contacted him only out of sake for the good ol’ times, but also because he was the only person she could call friend, after a lifetime of social isolation. Melissa could be a pet lover, an excellent lawyer, but David was the guy with the diplomatic skills and all the proper human connections.
David and Butch had talked (well, Butch had only listened) about Melissa’s offer, and in the end the dog had agreed they needed a change in their life. Their old place had nothing but sad memories, and even if sometimes the human could drink himself to sleep and wake up the morning after with a hangover that would take the memories of Sam from his mind, Butch was condemned to remember her every single minute of the day and night. Scent memory was the most powerful, and Butch had a good nose. To him, their old place was like a haunted mansion and that didn’t help his depression.
Before moving, David had made sure to give his dog a thorough bath until he was sure he had cleaned every scent of Sam off him. Then he had given to charity everything he couldn’t leave at the old house after selling it with every single item still in it. Terrace High was to be a fresh start, in more than one way. Perhaps they would never forget Samantha Warreck, but they would make sure to honor her memory by living instead of brooding.
Thankfully, David’s clients had not abandoned him. They had been rather understanding. That had given him something to work with upon moving.
He hadn’t expected to have a client in High at the end of his first week here.
“Uncle David!”
The lawyer lifted his gaze from the pile of paper he was working on. “Hello, Drake. Do you remember what I said about knocking instead of barging in?”
“That I can ignore that during an emergency,” the orange-furred Persian said.
“I don’t remember telling—“
“And this is an emergency. Where is Mom? I know she can’t be flirting with someone. Not during working hours, anyway.”
David sighed. “She’s at River Ridge city pound. If this is an emergency, what can I do for you?” He asked in the moment the cat was turning to leave.
“Heck!” the feline hissed, then turned again. Well, Drake guessed the puny male would have to do. “Dog, Rhodesian Ridgeback, newbie. He hit that blind dog, Elpis, and right now he’s in detention.”
David stood up without a second thought. “And you wanted to hide that from me?!!” he was sorely tempted to take drake by the scruff and shake him for good. He took his coat and then his case.
Drake shrugged. “Hey, it’s not that the guy’s gonna run anywhere, and that weird little guy’s still alive. Just a little bleeding from the nose.”
David refrained from shouting to him he had barged in claiming it was an emergency. Pets may not take anything from their humans in terms of genetics, but attitude would rub off! And Drake was just like his Mother –if she had never softened up, that is. “Did you two see what happened?” He asked Drake and Butch.
“Don’t you look at me like that,” the cat said. “You know I’m not a liar.” And that was all too true. Drake could drive stones crazy, but he was honest. “Anyway, no: we just came along with a crowd of curious, when the arrest had been made. All I can say is that everyone in hearing range, like me and Jimbo here,” he pointed at the striped Boxer, who nodded “heard Elpis yelp. ASPCA would’ve screamed bloody murder.”
“Good. I mean, you two are not obliged to come then. See you later. Butch, text me as soon as you two need me.” And he was out, mentally reviewing the list of pets of Terrace High the Administration had given his firm. There was an only Rhodesian Ridgeback, by the name of Volant Male. His file was a sad copycat of many other cases: a stray dog raised by two jerks who had the brilliant idea of pouring acid into his left eye, for the effing fun of it! In court, they had pleaded they were just drunk, tried to play the ‘temporary insanity’ card, but they had happened under the talons of Judge Elizabeth York. She had been lenient, meaning she had sentenced them to six months each, no parole. And Mr. Male had made sure of not telling them where he had moved in the meantime.
Volant was safe from harm, but not from himself. David had seen it happening too many times: an animal could take only so much before snapping, and the ‘tranquil, introvert dog’ the file described must have found a reason to snap.
David wondered why Volant had decided to take it on a nice creature such as Elpis…
---
Veterinary clinic, Level 1

“Hold still.” Constance Rozen dabbed the dog’s nose with a pad. The hemorrhage had stopped by itself, at least. The poor creature was blessed with a fast healing process, a minimum compensation for being born without eyes. And yet, Elpis could move and look at people as if he had them.
“Are we done, ma’am? I want to go visit Volant now.”
“Are you two friends?” She asked, while pulling off her gloves and disposing of them in the basket.
The Australian Terrier, sitting on the bed, shuffled his legs, looking down. “Well, I hope we can be. I know he’s a good guy, he just needs someone to talk to. I mean, really talk. His bad thoughts are eating him, they give him this bad smell, just like me when everybody would pick on me.”
The veterinarian rubbed his shoulder. “Hey, everyone has problems. And everyone deals with their own in their own way. But hitting other is not a solution, Elpis.”
“But—“
“Consider it a measure for your safety. If you really want to visit Volant, I can tell Security you’re of sound mind to decide in that sense, but I’ll recommend an escort, though I’m sure they will provide you one.”
Elpis sighed. “You guys are getting it all wrong.”
---
Security Ward, Sublevel 1

The key to success in presenting a closed community such a condominium is making its residents know they can be safe, but not showing them the security offices.
People was comfortable with the idea of private security, but seeing monitors, cells and interrogation rooms put most of them at unease. It gave the idea that crime was part of your comfortable life, not something you were protected from.
The Security Ward was only one of the sublevels that dealt with the most…unpleasant aspects of living in a close-knit community…

“Volant!”
…But despite that concept, it wasn’t a lager. Not for prisoners like Volant. The Ridgeback was sitting in a large cell provided with a padded cot, food that he hadn’t touched so far, computer and an e-reader. The door consisted of two Plexiglas panels. Prisoner could be addressed to via an interphone at the wall.
Upon hearing his owner’s voice, Volant lifted his gaze from the pavement. He didn’t say a word, just hung back his head in defeat.
Adam turned to Athena, who was guarding the cell. “I demand to see my son now, miss, or help me—“
The husky pointed a small remote to the door, and it slid open. “You don’t need to do that number, Mr. Male: Volant is a low-level security threat. You can see him anytime for the duration of detention.”
Adam, still stuck in the middle of his earful, shut his mouth. “Oh.” He then went in the cell.
The man sat down beside the dog as the doors closed. He hugged Volant, not caring when he felt the dog getting stiff again. “Son, are you all you alright?”
Not ‘What have you done?’ ‘You’re nothing but troubles!’. Just ‘Are you alright?’. Volant felt as if an invisible force was tearing is soul apart: this man cared for him. Adam wasn’t angry, but he was so scared. He wasn’t giving him an earful, he was hugging him.
The dog’s arms lifted. Just for a moment, his body relaxed, he just wanted to give in to what that part of him he believed dead and buried was feeling… But then he remembered that Adam was still in touch with Todd and Bill, that probably, no make it surely he was playing his act to avoid further troubles, that once at ‘home’ there would come the real punishment!
And again Volant’s arms lowered. “I’m fine,” he said, flatly, his emotions back in check. “I’m sorry for hitting that dog.” And that part was true, he wouldn’t have hurt a defenseless, blind creature, had he known it. And he was sincerely sorry for attracting all that attention on himself; he may not really believe he was home, but in the end Terrace High was a comfortable place. And for how much Volant believed his owner was using him to get a comfy place, at least it wasn’t back to huddling inside a cardboard box during a rainy day.
Come to think of it, one advantage may come from this predicament: no one would address the ‘mad dog’, they’d avoid him and that would suit him fine –heck, even staying in this cell would do him fine!
“Adam and Volant Male?” said a new voice. Man and dog turned. They met the face of a perfect stranger wearing an expensive suit. Taylor-made, probably. “David Greene Warreck from Warreck & Verde. Good morning and welcome to the High.” That pale attempt at humor managed to crack a smile into Adam’s face. Still staying where he was, the man said, “I take it you’re our lawyer? We don’t really need—“
“You do, Adam. May I call you Adam?” Gone was the slightly anxious individual, the widower. When it came to business, David knew his place and priorities. Right now, he needed to put his clients-to-.be at ease. “You see, rules are strict, it’s the only way to avoid all those unpleasant litigations that happen between residents. The Administration will want to make sure that accidents like this shall not repeat. And they won’t hesitate to kick you two out if they thought it was the best solution.” Okay, that wasn’t supposed to put anyone at ease, but David preferred that his clients were informed, not optimisted into another mistake.
David addressed Athena. “Ma’am, may I in?”
The doors opened.
Adam regarded the newcomer with suspicion. David put the case over his legs and showed his most diplomatic smile. “If it’s money you’re worried about, then you may relax: I never charged high tariffs with with pet owners, unless of course their name is Foster…” He cleared his throat. “Whatever. This should be an easy case, simple misdemeanor. Volant will be out before the sun is set. But I would like to know…” his hand went to the interphone and shut it off. As the red light went on, David went on. “I would like to know why you attacked Elpis, Volant. Administration will want a reassurance this won’t happen again.”
Volant adjusted the fur tuft over his red eye as to better hide it, then lifted his head. “I don’t socialize well, okay? I donìt hate other pets or other people, but… I was in a very bad mood. It’s a poor justification, I know, but it’s the truth, okay? I tend to stay alone, and my body language is good enough to show it. I didn’t know that guy was blind and couldn’t read me.”
Adam nodded. “Much as I don’t like it, Mr. Warreck, I can vouch for that. Volant is a real lone wolf. The therapist I consulted said it will be some time before he trusts anyone into a friendship.”
David rubbed his chin, thoughtfully. “That isn’t really the best of news, considering where we are, but if this will remain the first and last time, a caution should—“
At that moment, someone knocked at the doors –or rather, tried to knuckle them down. All three turned, to meet the stern gaze of a tall, thin woman in her seventies, and a man the same age, though he was shorter but still in excellent shape.
David knew who they were, he had seen their pictures in many charity events: he was surprised they hadn’t come earlier to kill the Males with their own hands
Khloe and Adelphos Karahalios. Millionaires, last known representatives of Greece’s richest dynasty. Pet lovers.
Parents of Elpis. Everyone with a sane mind knew how much they loved the anophthalmic dog, who, in their hearts, had taken the place of their only son born with the same defect, and dead at the age of 5.
The Karahalios hadn’t had any other offspring since that day, and Elpis was rumored to be the inheritor of a wealth that could compete with the Milton ferrets’.
Which meant, judging by their expression right now, that they could sue, buy the court, and get Volant a nice injection of death-flavored cocktail.
David stood up. He held out his finger at Volant and Adam. “Now you shut up and I talk. Period.” Then he could hope they’d all come alive out of this...
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Poor Volant...his own worst enemy he is. He's another character I think I'll be watching closely, poor guy needs a chance to grow and get past his traumas.

Here's hoping things don't go too badly with this sudden encounter with upset rich people.
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

Wonder how things will be solved before the party tonight.

Definitely the longest "chapter," after the Imaginate episode. We got everyone introduced save for Gaunt.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Another great chapter! I like how both lawyers are so green. I wonder how Elpis will calm his parents down?

Your grammar is well done. Only a few mistakes with expressions and such.
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

kavviyenta wrote:Wonder how things will be solved before the party tonight.

Definitely the longest "chapter," after the Imaginate episode. We got everyone introduced save for Gaunt.
yup, but still the second in length after 'The Ballad of the New Days' :lol:
And yay for decent grammar!! :D
valerio

Post by valerio »

Administration Offices, Level 50

“This is all a mistake, Mr. Warreck,” Khloe Karahalios said, while putting down her cup of coffee. “I am absolutely calm, as you can see, and I am sorry for giving you a bad eye, before. I was and I am upset for what happened to my dearest child. I think you understand.”
David Greene Warreck nodded. He knew this kind of people: though he never dealt with uber-rich pet owners, the feelings didn’t change with the social status.
It changed the way an angry pet owner could kill the offender.
And make no mistake, Khloe was angry. The Australian Terrier Elpis, her ‘dearest child’, was her son in all regards, and she’d spare nothing of her fabulous wealth to make sure Volant Male, who had the nerve to hit the smaller dog, would suffer.
David would rather have a chat with a Mafia Godfather in sour mood.
“My conditions are clear: either the dog leaves these premises, or I’ll deal with the matter Personally. And I can assure you that my family didn’t become rich by sitting idle.”
That was a threat, it could be brought to court. But the Karahalios family had too many connections to be brought to trial, they knew it and they were sending it loud and clear to the lawyer of a middle-class pet owner who had to win a house at Terrace high because he couldn’t afford more than a squalid loft.
David sipped his coffee, wanting to make sure that the woman was finished making her point. When a full minute had passed, when the woman was sure he had gotten the message, David answered with the same cool tone.
“Madame, I will not insult your intelligence. I know you will never accept ‘I’m sorry’, nor an amount of money, unless you planned to ruin my clients, which you must be considering right now. Mr. Volant Male has no excuses for his actions, but his owner is still a legitimate homeowner here at the High. And he will not let Volant go under any circumstances.
“Now, we are adults, madame. We know the world is not a perfect place, and some minor trouble will occur from time to time.”
“Minor..?” the woman started going pale, first red flag waving.
David ignored it. “Mr. Elpis is alive and well, sound of body and mind. He didn’t file any complain, and the K-9 security chief confirmed that, had Elpis been able to see he would have noticed my client’s body language.”
“Are you insinuating that it is Elpis’ fault if he got hurt by that…thing?” it was admirable how she could sound cold and furious at the same time.
David felt as if he was standing in front of the Boogeyman’s mom. He was sure that he wouldn’t sleep well tonight! “No, madame. I am just saying that it was a concourse of unfortunate coincidences. Volant is an asocial pet who happened into a hypersocial pet. Bad chemistry, if you want. My client’s intentions were and are not to stay near any other pet. In this regard, and I am truly sorry if it is not fully satisfying to you, my client intends not to see or talk to Mr. Elpis ever again. This is the best deal I can offer. Any other request by your side would constitute tenacity.”
The woman’s lips turned into a thin, colorless line, as she turned to the third present party.
Raimund Radulf Gottschalk was sitting with a long leg over the other, barely moving, looking as if he wasn’t breathing at all. When Khloe looked at him, he said, “It is in my interest that you and your family stay here, of course, Mrs. Kalahantos. But it is also in my interest to be somewhat lenient over what is, as Mr. Warreck kindly pointed out, a minor incident, caused by misunderstanding and not ill will. If it will help you feeling better, I will have the offending dog sent to a series of psychiatric visits, and for a month he will be forbidden to stay within 500 feet near your dog, and all electronic communication channels between them will be shut down until you decide otherwise. Of course, during the same period, Volant Male will be forbidden to use any other pet’s channel to bypass this disposition.”
Khloe was not satisfied, as her expression testified, but when it came to jet set Gottschalk was second to no one. It would have been very unwise to upset him. The woman stood up. “I guess it will do. Please put these measures in effect immediately.”
---
The Park

Needless to say, Terrace High’s pet community was already divided between the supporters of harsh justice and the more lenient ones.
Butch Warreck was one of the latter. Being mute, he was gesturing his opinion to his feline friend.
“Bah, humbug!” Drake said. “Had a human hit the lad, you too would be gesturing another opinion entirely! And why are not you using the tablet Mom got you?! It’s really unnerving to see your hands moving as if you were…mute!”
The Boxer shrugged. He gestured, ‘The artificial voice sounds horrible! It feels awkward. And I can’t leave it on all the time, the battery runs dry in a few hours. What do I do while it’s recharging? Isolate myself?’
“Now, that would be a good idea—kidding! Only kidding, ol’ buddy!” he added with a grin when Butch started showing fangs. “At least keep it with you in standby, in case of emergency. And stop being so Mr. Sensible: this is a tough world, don’t think people will always swoon over you because you got the mechanics screwed.” The cat tapped at his own skull.
‘I have nothing wrong in my head!’
“You do and you know it, since all analyses show you’re otherwise of sound brain. So, whatever happened that shut down your muzzle when you were a pup, you better try to work yourself fixed, because the pets and owners all, here, won’t take a collective sign language class out of pity for you. And if they did, you wouldn’t like it because you hate emotional charity. Right?”
‘You’re mean.’
“I was raised by a mean lawyer. Sue me.”
‘I’d like to! Dad is a lawyer too. He’s not mean!’
“Yup! And be thankful Mom wanted him as partner, or he’d pro-bono himself poor.” The cat‘s tail swished nervously. “Really, what’s the problem with you guys? Why are you afraid to do the right thing and squash your enemy in the process? It’s fun. Oh, and getting some cash as well.”
‘Because everyone deserves a good defense, even if someone can’t pay large sums.’
“You can always accept foods, services, anything else. Does one of your thankful clients own a pretty girl cat? I feel so lonely, sometimes.”
Butch blushed down to his tail. He even managed to gesture in capital letters. ‘DRAKE!’
Drake rolled his eyes. “What? Don’t tell me you’re the kind of guy who will just sit there and wait for the right girl to show up. Are you?”
Butch shuffled his feet, avoiding the cat’s inquisitive stare.
Drake shook his head. “Butch, I think you’re the most fascinating challenge ever for one like me.” The cat stopped walking, turned and placed a paw on the dog’s chest. He assumed a solemn posture and voice as he said, “My resolution for this new year will be turning you into a babe magnet and get you a fiancée, no matter how hard it will be.”
‘You make it sound as it will be difficult.’
“’Epic’ is the right word. But I like a tough challenge, makes things more interesting and less boring.”
“Is that why you’re still unattached? Too much time spent helping the others?”
Drake puffed out his chest. “Correct! Sometimes I’m just too good for my own—“ his pupils shrunk with shock. “Butch! You can talk?!” But before the dog could shake his head no, the voice said, “Up here, you pillow stuffing!”
Drake lifted his head. “And what would you be?” he asked to the figure emerging right then from the pine’s branches.
“What would you think?” said the male stoat. Unlike his peers, the small mammalian’s fur was jet black, with only a white tail tip and a white spot on his chin.
The Persian hissed. “I think that you should mind your own business, midget!” He then turned a suspicious eye to Butch. “Client of your Dad?”
‘Volant is the first. And only, so far.’ The Boxer sincerely hoped it wasn’t his last, once the Karahalios were done with him. When a lawyer fought against rich people, he was in for a good dose of mud…
The stoat quickly climbed down the tree, and from there he climbed up Butch. The dog silently giggled, admiring the mustelid’s speed. “I usually mind my business, thank you. It’s just hard to do so when you walk around my favorite tree talking as if you were afraid that someone could steal your voice any moment now.”
“Walking around..?” Drake was about to deny that ridiculous claim…when he noticed the perfect circular pattern he and Butch had dug in the snow around the pine. “Hm, that would explain this funny dizziness… Butch, why did we keep walking around a tree? I was following you.”
With an embarrassed grin, the dog raised his two finger in the classic ‘V’ gesture.
Drake regarded him with a hint of disgust, this time. “You know there are toilets everywhere in this park, do you? Nevermind.” He turned, imitated by the stoat. Looking at the pets and humans frolicking in that mild morning, the cat said, “Name?”
“Gaunt Oakfield.”
“Drake Verde.”
“You should also say, ‘pleased to meet you’, or something like that.”
“Didn’t hear you.”
“Charmed.”
“Likewise.”
“Do you hate people?”
Drake shrugged. “No, not ‘hate’. After the first dozens of morons Mom assisted, I decided that humankind barely deserves forgiveness, and there are way too many pets too stupid for their own good. Caring is overrated.”
“My owners never hurt a pet, you know. In fact, they adopted me and Mommy Stefanie.”
Drake’s eyes perked. Now that he thought of it, there was something familiar with this guy and his surname… Well, it looked like it was a small world, after all! “Your owners’ names are Stevie and Mira, right? WWF activists?”
That got Gaunt’s attention. “Yes! Do you know them? Because I don’t—“ He facepawlmed. “Verde! Like Melissa Verde! They talked about her.”
The cat grinned. “And..?”
“And they said they were happy she was on their side.” He held out his paw. “Man, allow me to greet more properly. Thanks to your owner, Mommy is living at the best shelter ever.”
Drake remembered his Mom talking about the Oldfields: young, nice guys, perfect animal lovers for a pet-friendly community…but they were also homeless. Stefanie, a husky mix, was their second pet after their first dog had succumbed to a cold because they couldn’t efford proper medications. During their wandering, the couple, who had rescued Stefanie from a low-level shelter, had happened into a poacher. The man had killed Gaunt’s family to make gloves out of them. He had survived only by sheer chance, because Stefanie was exploring the area for food and had happened onto the crime scene.
Gaunt was too small to remember what had happened, but every time the subject came up, he was spared the details. He only knew that Stefanie had raised him as if he was her own pup, and the two had become inseparable.
Unfortunately, one day the Oldfields had wandered into Babylon Gardens. They thought they had been careful, but police got them. Stevie and Mira had tried to convince Stefanie to run for her safety, but she had refused. Even if they got separated, at least she wouldn’t abandon them, just like they had never abandoned her and Gaunt.
The trial had been a short affair. Judge York had been lenient, also thanks to the defense of Melissa Verde. The Oldfields had committed one mistake within the mistake: they had wandered into Poe Plaza, the only hi-class part of the Gardens. The prosecutor wanted the prison for the homeless, Melissa had obtained a one-year under house arrest and community work, no parole. And, just to send a signal to the indignant Poe Plaza homeowners, Stefanie had been sent to a shelter until her owner proved themselves fit to raise a dog.
And so, Stefanie had ended up at the Lucky Charm Grove, much in respect of the love and much to the chagrin of the prosecutor.
The second surprise had come when Melissa had proposed to the Court that Stevie and Mira would work at Terrace High. And that they lived by a resident’s place of Melissa’s choice, under the condition that at the first mistake they would be out and into a cell, and Stefanie put out for adoption instead of being confined with the Oldfields still as her owners…
Drake shook paws. “So, your owners work in the vet clinic, right?”
Gaunt nodded. “They were veterinary students, before their families got broke due to the crisis and the funds for the university ran dry. They are loving every minute of this arrangement.”
“Yup. And where do you all live?”
“We have been assigned to one of the security dogs’ family: The Gallants. Well, Mr. Gallant is a single, but he’s a good guy.”
Drake nodded, remembering the names –Mom had made sure he would, she held Security in high respect, and he was supposed to do the same… Well, at least he had opted to avoid troubles from them, so the more he knew, the better. Tobee was a little fuzzy dynamo: hyperenergetic, technomaniac, cookiemaniac, and with a speech to match. A small dobie pinscher that was very unwise to underestimate. Mom was smart to assign the Oldfields to his care. “May I ask you a question, Gaunt?”
The stoat nodded. “Ask away.”
“Why didn’t you stay with Stefanie? You must love her a lot.”
The smaller creature’s gaze showed a deep sadness –that must hurt him, Drake made a mental note not to tease the guy over that matter. “I wanted to stay with her. She told me… She told me that Mom and Dad needed someone to stay with them, to give them the strength to carry one through this year. By Christmas, we’ll all be reunited, but for now I must take care of them.” He sighed. “I know, it sounds so silly: little stoat taking care of the big humans, but Mommy wanted me to and…” he stopped when he felt a large paw leaning over his shoulder.
It was Butch. The dog gestured something the mustelid didn’t make out. Drake translated for his friend. “He said that he’d like to be your friend whenever you needed him.”
The dog wagged shyly.
Gaunt nodded. “Sure. Tobee’s a pawful, and sometimes he won’t just listen. If you think you can stand my shakespearian lamentations…”
Butch gave him the thumb-up and a big smile.
Drake mentally sighed with relief –hooray, perhaps he wouldn’t be forced to waste all his precious time with the mutt!
Butch took Gaunt under his arms and put him over his shoulder. The cat couldn’t help saying, “I hope that this now will convince you to use that tablet, lummox, or it will be a very short-lived friendship.”
Butch just stuck out his tongue at him.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Quite a menagerie at that place. Stoats and otters and rabbits and mice and dogs and cats and the list goes on. Very interesting indeed.

The Karahalios family likes to act first and ask questions over a tombstone, huh? :?

Sorry to hear about Jill...
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, I just changed her name in the ficcie. That was not the problem, and I expect to implement minor changes here and there.
I knew that at a point my ficcie would consistently separate from the canon continuity. frankly, rewriting it all to fit with the canon is something really hard to do. I will see what I can do and try, but not right now. Luckily, Season I and II are over, so once I'm done with this Pilot for season III and IV I can look back to what i've done and retcon something.
Wish me luck and drown me in Tylenol!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Checked what I wrote so far.
Impossible apply changes.
*kills self, resurrect PAINFULLY*
Ouch.
I will write a special something at the end of the Pilot.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

your writting skills baffle me (in a good way).
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

...you know, for the sake of keeping certain things. You could just say her middle name is Janette, thus allowing you to keep the 'Calamity Jane' reference with out issue.

I know it still means rewriting portions of old chapters, but at least you wouldn't have to alter plot points.
loomCAT

Post by loomCAT »

ACK. This episode is so tense, I can't even think straight throughout my day because I'm so concerned about how this is going to resolve itself. X_X

You've definitely got me hooked with the Volant/Elpis interactions, I must admit. Then again, I was already hooked, but still...
valerio

Post by valerio »

The Open Theatre. Housewarming Party.

“A tart, Sir?” asked the…wolf?
Wearing his uniform, Hannibal regarded the tall yet skinny creature. Not an ounce of extra fat on him, but he clearly needed some training. The black Alsatian was so busy in constantly scanning the crowd, that he had actually forgotten who that creature was –not a wolf, but one of those Finnish husky/malamute/shepherd mixed breed, a Tamaskan Dog, yes. A dog everyone addressed to by the black bolt tag hanging from his collar, though his name was Isaac. “Ah, no, graçias Bolt.”
The canine, the only one in that party dressing a waiter’s red jacket, nodded politely and turned to leave, when a silvery paw grabbed one of the salmon-and-cheese tarts. “I’ll have one, instead, thank you very much.” And Sigmund gobbled down the delicacy. “Oh dear, Philadelphia! Not the finest cheese in the world, but it goes so well with salmon! I’ll have another.” And he grabbed a second tart. Isaac then left before he ended up without anything to serve before he was done with this round.
Hannibal regarded his colleague sternly. “We’re on duty, carbon, try acting like a professional for once.” Not for the first time, he asked himself how could Bino memorize every single scent. That guy was unnerving, but you could count on him to find the proverbial needle in the haystack. Between the foods and the sheer number of the partecipants, Hannibal felt his nose going dizzy.
“Meh,” the Weimaraner said. “Come on, Shark, we didn’t have dinner! I’m starving and at the class they taught us you don’t perform well on an empty stomach.”
Hannibal decided not to carry that dialogue on: like all of his breed, Sigmund could be stubborn to no end. Instead, he put his paw to his own collar’s radio. “Any sign of our friend?”
Athena’s voice crackled in his earphone. “No. Looks like he’s doing the good doggie and staying inside his room. Don’t worry, Shark, I’ll make sure he doesn’t show up. Over.”
Hannibal let go of the radio. He regarded Sigmund with a funny puzzled expression. “Shark?”
The other dog grinned and tapped at his fangs with a claw. “Your teeth, you know: you got ‘em like that baddie in the 007 movie, Moonraker. It’s cool!”
Hannibal sighed. “I prefer the nick I chose myself.”
“Psycho? Please! It’s bad PR! Next thing you know, everyone will be calling you ‘Hooch’ behind your back!”
Hannibal made as if to give Sigmund a piece of his mind, then decided there had been enough troubles in one day without adding a Security dog being jailed for indiscipline. “I’ll get you for this.”
“Promises, promises…” And when the Alsatian stomped away, Sigmund whispered, “Hooch is craaazy.”

“Tart, Sir?” Isaac said to the furred titan, knowing already the round ended then and there. No way that St. Bernard would be satisfied with a nibble. Oh well, ol’ chap, think that at least you and your brother got a job and a roof over your heads, that you got two loving parents caring and vouching for you. Remember that and get ready to repeat your round just as good waiter should. In fact, Isaac Piave loved his job, loved living in the High, though he and Andrea didn’t own their own place. All they owned was a Vespa scooter, a backpack each and everything they needed to live on the road. Who knows why, when they were looking for a job at a temp agency, they had crossed the path of Mrs Rosa Turrita and Enzo Salice, the owners and managers of Terrace High’s finest Italian restaurant. It had been love at first sight…
“Why yes, thank you,” said the gigantic dog, taking a single tart and popping it in his mouth. “Hmm, very good.” He didn’t insist for one and Isaac thanked Anubis for that.
Samson turned…and bumped into someone. Of course, physics dictated that said ‘someone’ hadn’t a chance of standing on his feet, unless of larger mass and size.
Pardon, her feet. Samson moved fast and gently, considering his sheer bulk, and his powerful arms encircled her body. Only then, he realized who the female feline was. “Tegan! Bless you, where were you? I was trying to look for you all day!” Samson wagged his tail and knocked out Frits, who was passing by at that moment. The glass of orange juice he was carrying went flying in a wide arc before pouring its content all over Drake’s fur. The Persian drove everybody around him away, given what he said in regard.
“Good evening, Samson, and glad to see you too,” Tegan chided him, but forgiving him for his lack of manners. Samson was a big softie who never ceased to speak his mind. He was lucky he was built like a dreadnought –though a great part of that luck came from hard exercise. “I tried to look for you, but you kept being somewhere else.”
“I was busy helping Dad with his new gym. But I really wanted to meet you.” The big dog wagged again. This time he got Elliot square in the jaw. The retriever went down like a broken doll and tumbled against the pets who were trying to help Frits up. “Whoops,” Samson said, then, “Hey, is that Elliot?”
“He is, and you may be a gentleman and take a lady for a walk,” Tegan said, dragging him gently. He followed with a dumb smile on his lips. Many a lady dog gave her the evil eye for stealing their supermacho pup!
Tegan couldn’t care less. Alandra was right, now she needed the carefree and friendly company of a dog she could trust, and Samson was like the big brother she never had.
---
“Hey, mister,” Shadow said, approaching the Terrier. “You look like you lost your best friend.”
Elpis really looked down. His parents had wanted him at the party so he could take his mind off that unpleasant aggression and stop asking them to meet that…brute.
As a result, the small dog had just chosen a quiet corner, far from the crowd and hadn’t moved from there. “I may have,” he said, without turning his head to the black rabbit. “And it was all my fault for taking a poor dog for granted instead of listening to him.”
The rabbit’s ears lowered as he sat down. “I’m sorry to hear that, man. What happened”?
Elpis showed a bitter smile. “Don’t you know? I’m the poor victim of an unprovoked attack—“
Shadow waved him silent. “Sorry to interrupt you, but I spent the day in a hole… Rabbit things, you know,” he added, remembering he had promised Kwesi not to reveal a word about his secret hideout. “But did you know each other, then?”
Elpis sighed. “I hoped I could get to know him. I am sure he’s a nice guy, he’s only so…troubled…” then he said, with a different tone, “You sound nervous. Scared.”
Shadow nodded. “Err, well, it’s just this kind of weird guy who’s trying to—“
There you are, lad!” said a merry voice with a slight French accent. “You’re one who likes to make it difficult, en bien?”
Shadow’s heand drooped as the rabbit definitely did not share the otter’s enthusiasm. Frick!
Elpis stood up. “Hey, Errol! You know this guy?”
The otter rubbed gleefully his paws. “I know him enough to find him interesting for our little Jasmine—“
At that point, Shadow sprung on his feet. Only a last shred of patience kept him from screaming and draw even more unwanted attention. “Listen up, you manic mustelid! I don’t know what gears broke in your mind, but I am not interested in boys, especially outside of my species! So I’m telling you politely, you better sod off, before I—“ then his face froze, as he eventually realized the last word the otter had pronounced. “Jasmine..?”
The otter shook his head. “Of course, mon beau! Mind me, you’re cute, but not that cute: I just wanted to combine a date between you and this friend of mine, who spends too much time at home and never enjoys herself. Thought she needed someone she could biologically relate to.”
“Jasmine?” Shadow repeated, dumbly.
The otter stepped aside, revealing the most celestial figure male rabbit had ever laid his eyes on!
Where Shadow was black, Jasmine was white. Pure, spotless white ear tips to feet, with a pink nose pad and the cutest ruby-red eyes an albino female could have. Her inner ears were of a delicate pink shade. Her collar was black, with an oak leaf as tag.
Errol walked to Shadow, took his paw and lifted it in the direction of the female. “My name is Shadow, pretty lady,” the otter said. Charmed. That’s what you should say, boy. You can talk to her, you know?”
“Mebugga.” She smelled like a warm summer breeze, rich with flowers and grass and trees blossoming…
Then her dry tone broke the spell, just like a nail scratching a chalkboard. “You said I would meet a suitor, Errol, not a mentally challenged larva!” She shook quickly Shadow’s paw, before letting it fall. She looked at her own limb with a smug, as if she had touched something foul. “Was that all, ebony? Because I won’t do a duet with you if you keep looking at me like that.”
Shadow didn’t hear a word the tiger under disguise had just spoken. He was too busy listening to the tingling of his own shattered heart.
Jasmine turned to leave. Errol held her by her shoulders. “My dear, my sweet molten lava Meringa, why won’t you give a chance to that poor boy? Love is not fast some fast food, despite what Hollywood want you to think.”
She kept walking, effortlessly pushing the otter on. “I shouldn’t even be here, you crazy river-dweller, I came only because you nagged me into a carpal ear. Now sod off, before I send for my cousin Kevin…”

At that point, Elpis wasn’t listening any more. Unnoticed by the crowd, he walked toward the building. He was used to long walks, and he just wanted to be so tired as to sleep until the day after tomorrow…
He didn’t realize he was all alone when he heard a voice over his head. “There goes someone who really needs a pal.”
Without even stopping, the dog said flatly, “Yeah. I get that a lot today.” Then he heard a flurry of wings and something perching over his right shoulder. The scent was unfamiliar, but Elpis had the special collar with an in-built vocal database. That thing was the other reason the Karahalios had accepted the deal with Gottschalk: the collar was connected to a complete database of the building, database that included information on all pets thanks to the mandatory chip they were to be implanted with. All needed information was then transmitted to a radio unit implanted within the dog’s skull. Compliments of GTE.
In this case, recognizing that as the first contact between the dog and the bird, the collar automatically told Elpis this wasn’t a feral, but one of the new residents. Elpis had developed an excellent memory for voices and smells, so next time he may not need to be told that his was Piper James, parrot. “And you want to be my friend?” For once, he felt lucky he had a built-in GPS as well. He was too distracted to remember by scent if he had taken the right pathway.
Piper rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Hmm, let’s just say that I’d like to give it a try. If I prove myself useful enough, for example..?”
Elpis stopped. “Useful? How?”
“You and that Volant guy were forbidden to get in touch with each other, right?”
Elpis nodded.
Piper couldn’t help a sly smile, though that couldn’t be seen. “But I, for example, was not forbidden to.”
The terrier’s tail went crazy. “You would give him my messages?!”
“Straight from your mouth, my dear,” Piper said in a copycat imitation of Elpis’ voice. “Just pretend I’m a recorder, speak and I will report it verbatim, down to the octave. And I will do the same with his voice. It will be like talking to each other.”
Elpis’ gloom turned to the most untainted joy. He didn’t have the words to thank that bird! He only knew he was raised in the orthodoxy of his owners, and that he could recognize a gift from heavens when he got one! “Piper, I… you’re a lifesaver! What can I do for you, in return?”
The parrot waved. “Meh. Let’s just say that for now I’m doing it for the fun of it. If I’ll be needing something, I then might ask. Deal?”
Piper didn’t even need to ask…
---
They knocked at the door.
“Come in,” Volant said, laying on his bed, without raising his eyes from his book.
The door slid open. The dog’s nose quivered at the scent of…a cat?
“I hope I am not disturbing, Volant Male. I am Brother Lazarus.” The feline extended his paw. “Very pleased to meet you.”
Volant regarded that creature without knowing what to think, and he had seen his share of bizarre things. He was sorely tempted to ask if that was a very late Halloween joke, but that cat/priest kept holding out his paw, patiently, his warm expression never wavering. If this ‘Brother Lazarus’ was acting, he was really good at it.
Eventually, Volant shook briefly. “You would be the first, actually.”
Lazarus nodded. “It is good, then. It means that there is at least one person you can count on other than your father—“
“Owner. Please, I just can’t call him ‘Dad’ or something sappy like that. And sappy words won’t deny that I’m only property.”
The cat slowly shook his head. “That’s sad to hear. Because no matter what words you will use, they should reflect your love for the one who chose to make you part of his family.”
Volant scoffed. “I guess I will repay him when I win a lottery. Happy?”
Lazarus took a seat and sat down. “I will be happy when you start opening your heart to me. You need someone to relate to, child.”
“And you would be that someone?”
Lazarus smiled. “I guess I’m a start. Oh, and I am bound to the seal of the confessional, too. No one needs to know what you will tell me, unless you want to.”
Volant’s eyes went from the cat, to his book, and back. What the heck, he thought, he was already grounded, everybody thought he was a dangerous dog, what harm could do talking to this weird cat? It couldn’t get worse than this! “Will you answer a question, first? Honest to God?”
Lazarus nodded. “Of course, child.”
“Why your name?”
Lazarus explained, and when he was done, the Ridgeback dog felt like the first of idiots, for acting like a spoiled puppy when this cat had just seen death in the eyes. Twice. He didn’t even doubt that incredible tale, first because no one would conjure such a joke, not in the age of Internet when certain tales could be verified in real time. And second, because the way Lazarus spoke, either he was a self-delusional cracknut, or he was honest. And, like it or not, Volant needed to believe in someone. He needed to talk to someone, though he’d never admit it loudly. “I’m sorry, uh, Lazarus.”
The cat cocked his head, his triangular ears flicking. “Sorry for what, child?”
“For thinking that my problems are more important than…yours, or anyone else’s…” he stopped when he felt a paw on his leg.
Lazarus shook his head again. “Don’t go there, Volant. Everyone’s troubles belong to self, not to someone else. If you are troubled, I will help you as best as I can just like I would do the same for anyone else. Nothing is silly, when it comes to pain. It becomes silly if you wallow in it.”
And Volant was wallowing, he knew that. “So…would you listen to me if I told everything about me?”
“Of course, child. That is why I don’t wear a watch.”
The big dog chuckled, his first genuine happy sound since he lay foot at the High. His first confession ever took a couple of hours, during which he told things no one else about him had ever known, things he hadn’t even written in his diary. He spoke on and on, hardly pausing to breathe, while Lazarus held his paws and listened intently, nodding from time to time…
When he was done, Volant was panting, his throat felt dry like a desert, but he also felt as if a large chunk of that weight oppressing his heart had been removed. Outside, the fireworks accompanying the concerto were drawing a gorgeous palette in the sky, throwing rainbow shadows into the room.
“Thank you,” Volant said, believing it.
“You must thank yourself,” Lazarus said. “And thank your human, for it is more than material comfort you owe him. No matter what human laws say, you’re his son. Don’t be a stranger…” The cat stood up and patted Volant’s shoulder. Then his attention was drawn by the books displayed along the wall. “Hm, interesting choice here.”
“Do you think so?”
“Indeed.” Lazarus went to the library and ran a claw along a shelf. “The Civil War, social studies, astronomy, politics… You’re one of a flexible mind.”
Volant felt like blushing. “Heh, thank you. I’m just…curious.” All of those books were presents from his owner, who had gotten them at the flea market.”
“That’s another reason for you to interact with other pets. It would be a waste to keep your knowledge all by yourself.”
The dog chuckled again. “You won’t stop until I get out of this room, will you?”
Lazarus went to the door. When it opened, he said, without turning, “I don’t think I need to insist, now. Now I have to go back to my other chores. If you need me, come to the Saint Anthony’s Chapel. Oh, and don’t be afraid to come at night: I am still a nocturnal son of God, you know.”
When the door closed, Volant went back on the bed. This time, he was smiling.
There was hope.

And so, it begins…

HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES
Season’s Pilot 2
The Canticle of the Creatures
FIN
valerio

Post by valerio »

now terrace High will take a quick break, while the current HP arc resolves so that I can write a pastiche dedicated to a certain cat we all love.
For now, hope you enjoyed this new pilot.
Till next...
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Excellent pilot! Wonderfully written as always!

Can't wait to see what you write about the kitty we all know and love.
My characters
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

wow one of the longest pilots that I ever reading have

yes finally, more of our favorite cat and her kittens

and at Jill, you can say that Jane is her second name is
but let Jane it sounds any better ;)
I'm a happy playfull kitty in a party of my soul but form time to time a evil wolf
that's my soul and i love it and I would want to change it never
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

Cute, we'll be waiting for the story of you know who. :D

I was gonna ask if you would include cameo of other housepets OC such as Venison but with so many new OCs for Terrace High, it's not necessary, ah well.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

i just finish reading the ballad of the new days and i want to say that is just awesome
(i know is fan fic but)

brillant mind your name is valerio!!..

i was reading it while listening the songs on youtube...
just perfect.

avantasia, scarborough fair...

if could do it i would be crying

i liked the way you started the story were twig and sinder.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

legendario13 wrote:i just finish reading the ballad of the new days and i want to say that is just awesome
(i know is fan fic but)

just perfect.

We all know that feel, bro

we all know that feel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc
valerio

Post by valerio »

legendario13 wrote:i just finish reading the ballad of the new days and i want to say that is just awesome
(i know is fan fic but)

just perfect.

why, thank you! :D
I hope you'll like the rest of this ficcie as much. ;)
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

EvanAierkan wrote:
(i know is fan fic but)

just perfect.

We all know that feel, bro

we all know that feel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc
haha great men ...

y u soo meme?
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

valerio wrote:
(i know is fan fic but)

just perfect.

why, thank you! :D
I hope you'll like the rest of this ficcie as much. ;)
i know i will..
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I know I'm not good at reviewing things, but great chapters, as always.
Helmetzid

Post by Helmetzid »

WOW, just....finally...caught up, i mean i started reading back in october...how can i read a 800 page book in 4 hours but not read one of the most amazing fanfics ive ever seen(and now for the actual review) i love it, you do so much while just barely staying inside the pg13 rating, which just adds to all the awesomeness you put into it, four words, i LOVE this fic :D
Peanut has a Facebook!!!
It takes a REAL genius to do something truely stupid!-ME
Wanna play a game with me on steam? PM me
valerio

Post by valerio »

thank you dear. :D
Already working on episode 1 of season III. Sorry for the dealy, needed a short break. ;)