Tech Talk

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

CaptainPea
Extremerator

Re: Tech Talk

Post by CaptainPea »

Dissension wrote:I considered proposing an alternate solution, but determined enhanced risk of damage to the disc would be detrimental, which makes it moot.
Did it involve the words "kick", "punch", "hammer" or "chainsaw"?
In that case, yeah, probably not my first choice.
Image Image
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yes, it specifically involved the word 'hammer.' *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I went to Super Target today and saw desk lamps with LED lights bolted in. I guess the bulbs are supposed to last the life of the lamp.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Yup, they do last longer than normal bulbs, and I'm not surprised that those desk lamps are there. A lot of lighting features and appliances nowadays started using LEDs, even regular flashlights!

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
simple things
Location: Up the gutter, onto the tree, up to the roof, and onto neverland. <3

Post by simple things »

Hai guys here on the info tech ...uhh..stuff.

i am hoping to upload a video here. Just wanted to make sure that it would be okay =3
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Dissension wrote:Yes, it specifically involved the word 'hammer.' *giggles*
I guess that's better than "detonator".
Oh, and Obbl, your solution worked, by the way. Thanks.
simple things wrote:i am hoping to upload a video here. Just wanted to make sure that it would be okay =3
You can link to any video you like as long as it's relevant and doesn't break the forum rules.
You can't embed videos in your posts, though. We don't have the code set up to do that.
Image Image
simple things

Post by simple things »

Oh okay, i was going to upload it to upurload.com. It's just a video with me and paper, i would be explaining website mapping. I though you know...tech talk n all. Also there were a few people that were slightly confused about it. Though i might help.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

simple things wrote:Oh okay, i was going to upload it to upurload.com. It's just a video with me and paper, i would be explaining website mapping. I though you know...tech talk n all. Also there were a few people that were slightly confused about it. Though i might help.
Go for it, man. I'm personally confused by website mapping, namely in that I don't know what it is.
You may have surmised that I'm not incredibly tech savvy.
Image Image
simple things

Post by simple things »

ill today or tomorrow :mrgreen:
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Hello, I am trying to make a link in HTML that is capable of opening a .exe instead of downloading it, I'm not trying to open one from the website but to open a .exe from the client's computer like maybe open Steam when you click a link or Skype or iTunes. Any ideas? Please?
Sent from my conifer.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

So, in other words, "I wish to bypass all browser security measures developed in the last ten years and upload my virus to everyone who visits my website using code that someone else gives me. Please advise." :lol:
Yeah, it's kinda been made not an easy thing to do for very specific reasons ;)

Though if you want to run it from the client's side, it should be required for them to have downloaded the exe, right? I don't know of a way to guarantee that a person visiting your site has the exe downloaded already. Then to ask their computer to run said exe? :| No clue. Sorry. :D
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Well, ok... Hehe... :oops:
Sent from my conifer.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I just got invited to Google Music. I'm uploading my library to it as I am typing this. From what I can tell it organizes much better than Amazon Cloud (it took some of the more corrupt files and put them in the right place rather than labeling "Unknown") and I can set it to stream over Wi-Fi instead of 3G, or even tell it download directly to my Android. I also got free songs for signing up for the beta. I just hope it can handle the duplicates more effectively than Cloud was able to (I HATE having to go through and remove all of them myself).

As a usual consumer up is much slower than down, so it could take at least a day for this to finish. I can't wait for it to be done. Hopefully Google Music will change music the way Google changed search, Google Docs changed documents, Gmail changed e-mail, and Google+ is about to change social networking.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

'kay, so, a couple hours ago I was doin' some work on yer Photoshop, and I was using the paint tool for to paint, but when I clicked on the image a "programming error" message immediately popped up and the program crashed. I tried once or twice more with the same results. I tried disconnecting my external drive, plugging in the computer, running on battery, all sorts of junk that I didn't think were related but would've been easy to fix, and none of it helped. At a certain point, Photoshop stopped letting me open files- now when I open the program, it freezes before it even launches the tools or anything, all I get is an empty gray window saying "yup, I'm Photoshop", and any attempts to close it result in the entire computer freezing.

I found a solution to the problem online, but didn't get a chance to try it because that's when it just started freezing up the whole system. I've had to restart twice at this point.

Now, while my computer was frozen and I waited in vain for it to snap out of it, I spent my time observing the only thing which was still working: the CPU meter on my desktop. At the moment, it's keeping mostly between 15% and 30%. As I was trying to get Photoshop to close, I saw it reach 8%.

I have previously stated that I have little to no knowledge of the workings of computers, which is true, but is the problem that my CPU is giving up on me when I need him most? Has Photoshop gone rogue? Is this any sort of recognizable issue? Why am I asking you all these questions? Mermaid Man, where are you?

I'm going to reinstall now, but I wanted to throw this out here to cover my bases, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that reinstallation will do nothing.
Edit: It didn't do a thing.

MORE EDIT
Okay, so now I'm in Safe Mode, with networking, which is the only way I've gotten the program to open. But once it's open, it tells me that I need to activate, which I can't do because I'm not an administrator. The only flaw in this error is that I am an administrator. I am the administrator. The control panel says I'm an administrator. What.

ALRIGHT, so my last idea is to run the program in compatibility mode in hopes that the newness of my operating system is causing the problem. That doesn't make any sense, but neither do the errors I'm getting. After that, I give up, and I'll leave this post here as a testament to how screwy the setup is to install CS3 products.
Image Image
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Hey I need help with something, I am trying to use jQuery to animate an object to rotate constantly. This is basically what I wrote (for Webkit browsers):

var rotateVar=0;

$('body').append("<style>#testDiv{-webkit-transform:rotate("+rotateVar+"deg;}");

setInterval(
function(){
rotateVar +=10;
}, 1000);

The div is there AND it has a 10 degree rotation but it will not animate. What's wrong?

EDIT!!!

var rotateVar=10;
var FPS=30;

setInterval( function(){
rotation();
}, 1000/FPS);

function rotation(){
rotateVar +=20;
$('#testDiv').css('WebkitTransform', 'rotate('+rotateVar+'deg)');
};

I figured out how to change the css transform to actual working CSS in jQuery (avoiding the need of using .append()) and placed it in a different function while calling the function from within the setInterval. This allowed me to achieve a uselessly spinning rectangle! :D
Sent from my conifer.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Having fun learning jQuery? xP There's also a

Code: Select all

[code]
[/code] tag you should use. i think it might do some syntax highlighting that makes it much less of an eyesore. at least monospacing though. (too lazy to test)

Anyways, Comcast. We've recently been getting messages from them saying they think we're running some sort of "bot" on our computers. Which is odd, Because we're not. They think it's a virus or malware of some sort, which is certainly not the case for any of my computers. xP I monitor everything like a hawk (literally) and my habits and security configuration has made it impossible for viruses(viri? O_o People should call it that. XD)/malware to be installed. (have MSE anyways, and it's not reporting anything)

So, does anyone else here have comcast, and has similar things happened to you? I wonder what sort of things would trigger their rubbish "bot detection" service apparently. I wish we could've gone with EPB fibre optics here. Would be so much better. :c
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

They may be throwing a dart there by analyzing your bandwidth usage and thinking it goes over. Then again, I'm just throwing a dart on that conjecture. Far as I know, if you haven't noticed a worm, bot, ANYTHING that runs perpetually on your internet connection, then their service probably wouldn't detect anything either.

My actual reason for coming here was to ask if there was any good music library cleaners. I've got a few unknown artist and unnamed tracks that I could use help sifting through.
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

RancidRabbit wrote: My actual reason for coming here was to ask if there was any good music library cleaners. I've got a few unknown artist and unnamed tracks that I could use help sifting through.
Argh, there was a website I gave Sleet one time for this situation. I can't remember it though, and I'm waiting for her response. I'm pretty sure it was www.tuneupmedia.com though. I've never tested it myself (I am a neat-freak when it comes to my computer files), but you can try it.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Thanks, it's a lot harder to keep track when you take every CD and audio file your entire family owns and put them all onto a hard drive. A few burnt CDs have created my woe. Though I still worry what they mean by 'duplicates', cause I have multiples recordings of the same songs and some are better than others.
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

RancidRabbit wrote:Thanks, it's a lot harder to keep track when you take every CD and audio file your entire family owns and put them all onto a hard drive. A few burnt CDs have created my woe. Though I still worry what they mean by 'duplicates', cause I have multiples recordings of the same songs and some are better than others.
I manage my family's entire music collection, so I understand that frustration.
If all of y'all own separate iPods, I recommend making a playlist named after each family member. Then turn off the automatic syncing on all the iPods. After that, once you connect each device to a computer, just drag the playlist to the iPod, and everyone will have everything they want, and nothing they don't.
The only downfall is that you have to constantly update each respected playlist every time you obtain new music, but that's just a matter of highlighting the songs you want and dragging them over to a playlist.

~~~
Some keyboard shortcuts for your own amusement:
Ctrl and N to create a new playlist.
Ctrl and A to highlight ALL songs in the entire library (or playlist).
Highlighting an entire album quickly? Click the first song, hold down the shift key, click the last song you wanna highlight. All in between will be highlighted for you. ^_^

Correct me on any of those if anyone wants to, I'm pretty sure they're right but I'm also at a school computer at the moment.

~~~
Sometimes you will get duplicates in a library, especially if you're uploading from CDs. Make sure you have two of the exact same songs in that library to really see if you have duplicates; many times remixes will be considered duplicates as well.

Once you know that you really do have two of the exact same songs, you can right click on a song and click "Get Info" or something like that. Click the farthest left tab on the window that appears, and the Bit Rate is a good indication of sound quality. This is a good example of what the page looks like, just disregard that circling.

The higher the bit rate, the better the sound quality. Just listen for which track sounds better to you, and delete the worse one to keep your library clean.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Yeah, I made the collection then duplicated it onto hard drives for my brother, sister, and father, so we all have different libraries. I'm just finally filing through my own with this whole Zune to iPod transfer. I lost the battle, but still dislike Apple. Just, can't really argue against fancy 32gb iTouch over old 4gb Zune. Never had problems with the Zune, but I found myself switching out songs too much, and let's face it, everyone makes something for iPods.

So, you're saying the personal approach is better? Definitely the only way I really trust it, was just hoping I could be a little lazy.
Not a dead wizard
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

RancidRabbit wrote:Yeah, I made the collection then duplicated it onto hard drives for my brother, sister, and father, so we all have different libraries. I'm just finally filing through my own with this whole Zune to iPod transfer. I lost the battle, but still dislike Apple. Just, can't really argue against fancy 32gb iTouch over old 4gb Zune. Never had problems with the Zune, but I found myself switching out songs too much, and let's face it, everyone makes something for iPods.

So, you're saying the personal approach is better? Definitely the only way I really trust it, was just hoping I could be a little lazy.
May I ask why you don't like Apple? I'm just curious, I won't criticize you.

I mean, you can take the quick way if you want, but I myself have accidentally permanently erased the wrong songs before.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

That's why I use services like spotify, though it's audio quality is unimpressive(128kbps mp3 by default), its still quite convenient for when I'm too lazy to copy some of my music over or acquire it for offline listening. Though it's only free for PC's. You need a subscription for additional services.(such as clients for mobile devices, and offline use(by downloading music)) Kinda rubbish drawbacks but, ah well.
no longer active, sorry
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

I actually have nothing against the company itself, but the people who use them. I've met plenty of people who think Macs are the be-all-end-all of computers cause "they don't get viri" but there are actually viri for them AND they make their parts like $1000 more expensive. I know they are good quality - though plenty have broken. Probably user faults - and are actually fairly impressive with studio and art stuff, but its the fact that before the iPod Mac was like, "We're just as good as PC...please don't shun us" then they got the facelift from the funds and were all like, "PC sucks, get a Mac" "But-" "NO ARGUMENT!"

Steve Jobs was an amazing guy, but his followers never got my favor. That, and my friend has gone through, like, 4 iPhones in one year, but again, probably user faults. Not gonna lie, I am enjoying this new iTouch.
Not a dead wizard
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My motto is: "Technology is only as smart as the user."
People that believe a Mac will never, ever get a virus probably don't know very much about how viruses and other infected files work. Most people have a PC, so many hackers don't waste their time trying to crack a Mac. But when they do... well... if you don't have an anti-virus program (because apparently Macs are such superheros that you don't need one?), you're up the creek without a paddle. Not all technology will work 100% of the time, but as the user, it's pretty much part of your duty to try to make sure it's as close to 100% functional as possible.

I definitely like Apple products because they are made for quality. I support the iPods because no other portable device can hold all my music in one place at one time. XP
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Actually, it's kind of been possible for quite a while, For instance, PocketPC's (Windows Mobile based) have been around since 2001, some of them had SD (IO) card slots(allowing for probably up to 2GB at it's time, but newer ones probably can be made to work with larger capacities(2+GB)), others had Compact Flash cards (such as various models of HP iPaq devices) which allows for expansion cards upwards of 32GB. (and some had both)
These devices are not dedicated music players, But they are general portable devices usable for many tasks. Including music and video, There have been many programs for Windows Mobile for this specifically.(WinVibe for instance, or TCPMP for general videos) I tried them on my PocketPC from 2003 and it works lovely with my 2GB microSD card(with adapter)
no longer active, sorry
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

I just switched because if I was going to upgrade my music player, I might as well get the one that everyone and their assistant manager has created stuff compatible for it. I like the idea of having a music player with extras instead of a device (phone, PSP, etc) that has a music player; just preference. But, even back since before ipod there were plenty of devices like it and have been able to hold equivalent or more depending on the maker. iPod was just super popular.

Incidentally, t was the fact that everyone made stuff only for Apple products at the rise of the ipod that got me disliking them. It made perfect sense on a business view, it had more customers to serve and making everything compatible to it was easier than making it compatible to everything, but I just didn't care for it or the users. I agree with your motto, Beagle, and will probably say the same myself.

So far, I have had no downside with this new itouch. It plays my music, holds way more than I could before, and even has a lot of extra content to it that is pretty fun to mess with. Its also nice to have a handheld device that can access internet now; Can't tell you how much I've mooched off my friends when I forget to check something or need a comparison after leaving the house.
Not a dead wizard
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

ReCreate wrote:Actually, it's kind of been possible for quite a while, For instance, PocketPC's (Windows Mobile based) have been around since 2001, some of them had SD (IO) card slots(allowing for probably up to 2GB at it's time, but newer ones probably can be made to work with larger capacities(2+GB)), others had Compact Flash cards (such as various models of HP iPaq devices) which allows for expansion cards upwards of 32GB. (and some had both)
These devices are not dedicated music players, But they are general portable devices usable for many tasks. Including music and video, There have been many programs for Windows Mobile for this specifically.(WinVibe for instance, or TCPMP for general videos) I tried them on my PocketPC from 2003 and it works lovely with my 2GB microSD card(with adapter)
I'm well aware of Compact Flash cards; I was going to make a makeshift hard drive for my old iPod classic with a 64 GB card and a ZIFF adapter when Steven Jobs decided that it'd be a wonderful idea to include a hard drive with moving parts in a device that begs to be dropped.

My music library currently stands at 29.2 GB.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Here's a question for you folks that know more about computers than I do.

I've always been a little puzzled by the perception some people have that Macs without exception equal art and Windows is worthless in that department. People sometimes give me this shocked look when I say I'm an artist and that I don't use a Mac.

I finally bothered to look it up, and the main point of merit I found was that Apple's screens can display a wider range of colors, which I think is a fair argument for the hardware

But considering that I wasn't aware of the color depth thing, and I had to search for it a bit, I'd venture most people perpetuating this image aren't aware of it either, so what are they basing their perception on? Apple's ad campaigns? Is there actually more substance behind this image that I'm not aware of?
Image Image
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

With this, I went out a-hunting and found quite a lot of reviews myself, only to be reminded that, as Beagle said, "Technology is only as smart as the user" and apparently just as pretentious. But, I couldn't find a single honest difference between the two in drawing, at least. You're main difference will be in the graphics card and processor of which you can easily have a PC match the parts of a Mac, but not quite vice versa since upgrading a Mac is a smidgeon harder.

Video and Audio, I've experienced the only difference being in computer quality again. Fortunately you can get both Mac and PC in super-awesome, awesome, and good. Won't lie, though, there are plenty PCs that are worse, but it isn't like Mac makes more than 5 computers.

I'd say try both and choose the one you like. I think that's how the argument always goes anyway.
Not a dead wizard
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

CaptainPea wrote:Here's a question for you folks that know more about computers than I do.

I've always been a little puzzled by the perception some people have that Macs without exception equal art and Windows is worthless in that department. People sometimes give me this shocked look when I say I'm an artist and that I don't use a Mac.

I finally bothered to look it up, and the main point of merit I found was that Apple's screens can display a wider range of colors, which I think is a fair argument for the hardware

But considering that I wasn't aware of the color depth thing, and I had to search for it a bit, I'd venture most people perpetuating this image aren't aware of it either, so what are they basing their perception on? Apple's ad campaigns? Is there actually more substance behind this image that I'm not aware of?
Almost certainly just a misconception and stereotype sort of thing. Both PC's and Macs have computers in the market that are specifically designed for content creation. Both are suitable. But apple doesn't actually even manufacture screens, for instance, usually companies like Sanyo Epson, Sharp, TMD or Samsung do it, and this is the same for both PC's and Macs and all other things. Their hardware (on an architectural level) is almost identical to PC's now too, both are x86. Both have GPU's manufactured by the three most major companies (Nvidia and ATI for dedicated and intel for integrated) that are often VERY similar if not even identical.
Beagle wrote:
ReCreate wrote:Actually, it's kind of been possible for quite a while, For instance, PocketPC's (Windows Mobile based) have been around since 2001, some of them had SD (IO) card slots(allowing for probably up to 2GB at it's time, but newer ones probably can be made to work with larger capacities(2+GB)), others had Compact Flash cards (such as various models of HP iPaq devices) which allows for expansion cards upwards of 32GB. (and some had both)
I'm well aware of Compact Flash cards; I was going to make a makeshift hard drive for my old iPod classic with a 64 GB card and a ZIFF adapter when Steven Jobs decided that it'd be a wonderful idea to include a hard drive with moving parts in a device that begs to be dropped.

They used spinning disks instead of flash because it was cheaper at the time. :P That's why. It was most profitable that way. That's why they moved to solid state memory as soon as possible, too. (moving parts are too fragile)
no longer active, sorry
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

ReCreate wrote:
Beagle wrote:

They used spinning disks instead of flash because it was cheaper at the time. :P That's why. It was most profitable that way. That's why they moved to solid state memory as soon as possible, too. (moving parts are too fragile)
I know that too. X3 I've researched the prices of CF cards (and the past prices too), and good golly they were expensive.

I also remember when SSD were first released a little over a year ago. I saw one computer on the Dell website where it was $600 just to change to a SSD rather than the standard hard drive. :lol:
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Beagle wrote:
ReCreate wrote:
Beagle wrote:

I know that too. X3 I've researched the prices of CF cards (and the past prices too), and good golly they were expensive.

I also remember when SSD were first released a little over a year ago. I saw one computer on the Dell website where it was $600 just to change to a SSD rather than the standard hard drive. :lol:
What kind of SSD's? There's a lot of different qualities and capacities. SSD's in general usage (for solid state drive or memory) have existed for as long as flash memory has existed. For that's essentially all they are. Flash memory, only recently has it been manufactured specifically for drop-in replacements for spinning disks though. (ie directly using IDE/SATA interfaces) Is that what you mean? Because otherwise computers have been able to use flash memory for ages, in various ways. (Such as USB booting from USB thumb drives, or booting from various memory cards, and similar things) Though, it was so expensive before that it wasn't reasonably affordable in reasonable capacities by anyone..
no longer active, sorry
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

o.O
Well, whichever version was very economically impractical for the consumer is probably the one I'm talking about. I was referring to the fact that you can now get a solid state drive in the place of a traditional hard drive.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's probably pretty safe to assume that, if you know something matches what someone says, that's what they're talking about.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

:D I got a pair of M50s for Christmas. :mrgreen:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Alright, this is to all those iPhone junkies out there:

I am in need of a new cell phone pretty soon, and I am finally going to purchase an iPhone 4 in the next few weeks! Now, here are my issues: I cannot stand a digital keyboard, and I have a habit of dropping/accidentally flinging my phone. I will not break the screen of my new phone.

So I did some research, and I found that if I could combine the Boxwave Keyboard Buddy with an Otterbox Defender case, my life would be perfect.

This is a review of the Keyboard buddy, and you can see all the different angles of it.

This is a picture of the different pieces of the Otterbox Defender.

So, by studying the shape of each case, here's my proposal: It looks like I could possibly fit the harder part of the Otterbox's screen protecting portion (the first piece of the case) on my iPhone with a Keyboard Buddy already attached. The third part of the Otterbox looks like a softer/flexible silicon material, so if I removed the back of that case by means of cutting (and leave the sides), I could put the case on my iPhone and have my screen fully protected and a physical keyboard.

I have friends with iPhones so I could try to fit the harder portion of the Otterbox case over the Keyboard Buddy before I actually tear anything up.

For those of you who use these cases, do you think the idea could possibly work? Or is there some obscure iPhone case that I haven't found yet which would give me a keyboard and screen protection?

Also, this is just an idea, so don't be afraid to call it out as an idiotic dream. :P

Post by 0404 »

MAYDAY MAYDAY!
I NEED TECH SUPPORT!
ok, I went to some site called second life by some peopople that I know. and somehow it showed me a adobe flash player update, I just updated without thinking and it was virus.
my main OS is down so I'm just using emergency second OS on my PC, I have no idea to remove it. my data is secured but I just don't want to reinstall the whole thing. in main os, I can't run any systems including anti virus system and task manager. what should I do?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Can you start the computer up in safe mode?

Post by 0404 »

No dice, I can, but still does the same thing.
I'm just chekcking my Main os for virus remotely from emergency OS with microsoft Anti virus app.