What would you do if you were in Kings position?

Discuss the comic here
Skylord

Re: What would you do if you were in Kings position?

Post by Skylord »

What I really would need to know before making any final decisions were the rules that he has to follow. Those cosmic nerds are tricky. We know that he is able to tell the pets who he is now. He could use this to apologize to Fox (and anyone else of importance) and then return to his human life as a changed man. He still has to deal with his criminal charges. Unless of course the cosmic nerds can change this. There are too many variables to give a complete answer. We know that Joel was a human with no "furry" characteristics that I am sure most of the readers are aware of. This sudden attraction is alarming and right now he is trying to rationalize it as chemical reactions. He still wants to be human. I would say that life is much better for him as a dog but the only thing that really makes it better is Fox. He could still be friends with Fox after the transformation so I think it is in his best interest to turn human.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I'm hearing myself two years ago in here. :shock:
Skylord

Post by Skylord »

PhoenixAsper wrote:I'm hearing myself two years ago in here. :shock:
Care to elaborate?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

When I say he should stay a dog, I'm operating the assumption that he had no meaningful personal connections and a fairly horrible life. If he does have a caring family, then he should definitely be a human again.

and I'm fairly sure he could remember his old name, he just couldn't say it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Skylord wrote:Care to elaborate?
I'd rather not. :oops:
Skylord

Post by Skylord »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:When I say he should stay a dog, I'm operating the assumption that he had no meaningful personal connections and a fairly horrible life. If he does have a caring family, then he should definitely be a human again.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/11/1 ... -thoughts/

This comic seems to imply that he can say it now. I think it has something to do with Pete not being in control of him.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Skylord wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:When I say he should stay a dog, I'm operating the assumption that he had no meaningful personal connections and a fairly horrible life. If he does have a caring family, then he should definitely be a human again.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/11/1 ... -thoughts/

This comic seems to imply that he can say it now. I think it has something to do with Pete not being in control of him.
which is why I said "couldn't" instead of "can't"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I wish to revise my position.

If I were in his position, I think I might be losing my sanity, a little. He's been transformed into a dog, his best friend is the dog he's kidnapped before, he's discovered he was used as a pawn in a cosmic game of sorts, he's carrying around a piece of his very SOUL, and now he's got a MAJOR crush on Bailey. Yeah, I'd be close to my breaking point. :?

Fortunately, this comic is PG RATED, and such a thing seems too disturbing to happen. Same applies to previous statements I've seen regarding Joel's family. We all tend to overanalyze (and I still do, a LOT :oops: ), but Rick's probably not going to explore these dark issues that much: Housepets is not that complicated, King is not the main character (hmph), and Rick would like, above all else, to have fun.
SangueneSage

Post by SangueneSage »

Good grief. I have always been a fan of the other option. Everyone seems to be looking at this from the A or B perspective. This is an open-ended situation. The two obvious choices are both likely to be bad ones. He needs to take the loophole. Choice 1: Become human again. Bad idea, as it will ruin so much of what he has gained. He will gain the advantage of being changed for the better by his experience and being able to repair his life. That is... Once he gets over the legal problems he is already in adn if he can convince Pete to stop buging him. Choice 2: Remain a dog. Also a bad idea. In a best-case senario he will be cutting what I estimate to be 30 years off of his lifespan. This alone is a bad thing. He is used to the idea of living past 30. He will also have to deal with the secret getting out eventualy, and Pete will likely torment him untill he is in his grave.

Choice 3: Learn what happned and then reap the benifits. When Pete changed him, he is confirmed to have cheated. Cheating creates a misbalence within the game. In this case, the missbalence will have be constructed to aid Pete. Pete wanted to make King his avatar, so these benifits are all focused into KING. Then he was cut lose from Pete's direct influence. This means that he is a being with powers on an avatar's level (Tarot is demi-precognesent, psycic, and telekenetic at the least). He also has no overseer, as Tarot does. This means he is the ultimate wild card, able to act as he sees fit. He has ability on the level of a PC and everyone thinks he should just go back to baing an NPC!?! He must be powerful, as Pete broke the rules again and took a serious physical beating (breaking bones is a LOT in a PG rated strip) all in an effort to get King back under his controll; this means that he has ability on a level that is impressive enough to at least equal Tarrot's, otherwise Pete wouldn't be this interested in him.

I would figure out what happned, and then get in on the game on at leat the level of a major NPC, if not a minor PC. This is his best course of action. Am I the only one who has noticed this?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

SangueneSage wrote:Choice 3: Learn what happned and then reap the benifits. When Pete changed him, he is confirmed to have cheated. Cheating creates a misbalence within the game. In this case, the missbalence will have be constructed to aid Pete. Pete wanted to make King his avatar, so these benifits are all focused into KING. Then he was cut lose from Pete's direct influence. This means that he is a being with powers on an avatar's level (Tarot is demi-precognesent, psycic, and telekenetic at the least). He also has no overseer, as Tarot does. This means he is the ultimate wild card, able to act as he sees fit. He has ability on the level of a PC and everyone thinks he should just go back to baing an NPC!?! He must be powerful, as Pete broke the rules again and took a serious physical beating (breaking bones is a LOT in a PG rated strip) all in an effort to get King back under his controll; this means that he has ability on a level that is impressive enough to at least equal Tarrot's, otherwise Pete wouldn't be this interested in him.

I would figure out what happned, and then get in on the game on at leat the level of a major NPC, if not a minor PC. This is his best course of action. Am I the only one who has noticed this?
The only problem with all that is that King has never been shown (or even hinted, for that matter) to have been granted any powers along the lines that Tarot has. The difference is that Tarot actually is Spirit Dragon's avatar. They are able, and do, communicate with one another on a fairly regular basis, and Tarot has on many occasions demonstrated the abilities that were granted to her when she was made an "avatar". King has shown none of these traits, and therefore all that you've said (while a creative thought process; I don't think anyone else brought up this possibility) is mere speculation.

See, you're making the massive assumption that Pete was ever able to actually make King his avatar (which as far as we know, he failed to do), so there are no "benefits" or "powers" that have been given to King (again, as far as we know).
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Xane wrote:We're also assuming that Tarot was given the abilities by the Spirit Dragon and not that she was chosen because she has those abilities. Sabrina is also learning various magicks and is able to make bold text with a Ouija board somehow (of course it could be argued that she is an avatar for an as-yet-unseen celestial player). Tarot has always mentioned spirits, so I kind of figure her abilities let her talk to celestial beings in general, and Dragon just happened to ask her to be an avatar.
I was inclined to disagree at first, but considering the fact that Sabrina is also able to exhibit supernatural abilities it's fair to say that it's possible to have these powers without being an avatar.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Lobo09

Post by Lobo09 »

Mmmm that is hard... I want that he be a dog but If I were him I wouldn't know what do!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

You've also got to consider, though, that whenever Tarot exhibits her abilities, her eyes glow green. This also happens whenever Spirit Dragon speaks through her. Based on that, my guess would be that SD was the one who actually gave her the powers. Either that, or SD was the one who taught Tarot (having showed the aptitude, via some supernatural aura or something), and Sabrina has a similar affinity that allows her to learn it.

If it is something that's just learned, rather than bestowed from the supernatural beings, I imagine that not just anyone can learn these things, otherwise we'd likely see more than just Tarot and Sabrina dabbling in these things. Though, as this is all just speculation, it's entirely possible that the only reason no one else has shown the ability to learn it is because no one else has expressed an interest in doing so (or are simply oblivious, purposefully or otherwise) thus far.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Actually Rick said its mostly because Magic is finicky and hard to use (or something along that line) and the stuff that easy to use doesn't do much and people kind of make fun of and think of it as parlor tricks. That's why its not widely used.
Kingcorgi

Post by Kingcorgi »

Sadly me and King kinda share the same past something happened in our lives to make it miserable then we both met someone and because of this were trying to make thing's right from what happened before
Gattsu

Post by Gattsu »

You know. This is a pretty interesting topic, though it didn't take long to come to a decision.
If it was me, in Joel -not King, but Joel's- position, turned into a dog.. I'd have to go back to being human. I mean, dogs live like, what, a max of fifteen years? No way man, I'd be dead on arrival.
I'm not going to have a signature!
..Oops..
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Gattsu wrote:You know. This is a pretty interesting topic, though it didn't take long to come to a decision.
If it was me, in Joel -not King, but Joel's- position, turned into a dog.. I'd have to go back to being human. I mean, dogs live like, what, a max of fifteen years? No way man, I'd be dead on arrival.
actually Rick has said they live about twice as long in the HP! universe, so up to thirty years.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Gattsu

Post by Gattsu »

Jumped to the assumption of basic canine years I suppose.. In any case.. Pure and simple, I couldn't live in that tiny body, man. Couldn't stand having such a weakness as shown in the comic, where King is constantly bullied and easily pushed around by humans and animals (Bino) alike.
I'm not going to have a signature!
..Oops..
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

On the other paw, he's so fluffy. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Also cute and helpless.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Accept his new chance at life. What kind of life would he have if he remained human? Going to jail is terrible enough, but even when he would get out he would have people treating him different because of that. He can try to forget the traumas of his turbulent childhood. All of those bad choices and bad luck wiped away and replaced by a life of no responsibilities.

Joel should stay as King. He was no good at being human.

Besides, being a cute dog with rich ferrets as patrons can't be all that bad.

He is not a bad person. He has just had a lot of bad luck. I would stay as King if I was him.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

"Bad luck" certainly accounts for jail time, doesn't it?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, that depends. Do we blame the jail time on the choice he made to help kidnap Fox? Or can we blame it on events that unfolded much earlier in life? Or is the blame a part of both?

Following the current timeline: if his parents never treated his pets badly, he never would have run away with them because *they* never would have run away. And if he never ran away with his pets, he never would fallen out with them. If he'd not fallen out with them, he wouldn't be so cynical about pets and his relationship with them. He wouldn't have joined PETA. He wouldn't have tried to kidnap fox. He wouldn't have been given jail time.

Might he end up in trouble with the law at some point anyway? Maybe. But the jail time he was given in the current timeline is entirely dependent on his parents mistreating his pets. So while it was all his own choices that led him to his present situation after that point, the fact still remains that his parents perpetrated the need to make any of those choices in the first place.

(Yes, I'm probably reading too much into your comment or missing the point entirely, but I'm in a ramble-y mood... so meh.)
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You ignore previous convictions. Per the comic, Joel does not want to go back to prison.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Something tells me that there is still a distinct possibility of him choosing to be human again, as upset as that would make a lot of people (myself to a degree). If he stayed King, he would have a carefree life, and somehow, Rick doesn't strike me as the type who would make things THAT "happily ever after".

I hope I'm wrong, though.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Dissension wrote:You ignore previous convictions. Per the comic, Joel does not want to go back to prison.
Hm. For some reason, it never really clicked for me that that meant he'd been to prison before. That's a reading comprehension fail on my part. Lol.

I think we're intended to assume that has to do with his time in the ASPCA though, as this comic reveals that he was in the ASPCA for a time and that during the time of the arc, PETA was the *only* animal-rights organization to accept Joel without a background check. So, whatever crimes he committed that got him jailed likely happened while he was in the ASPCA.

And that still begs the question: would he have joined either of those groups if his parents hadn't treated his pets so badly?

--------------------------

Also,
PhoenixAsper wrote:Rick doesn't strike me as the type who would make things THAT "happily ever after".
Has there been an arc yet in the comic (barring King's unresolved story) that things *didn't* turn out "happily ever after"?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

KJOokami wrote:Also,
PhoenixAsper wrote:Rick doesn't strike me as the type who would make things THAT "happily ever after".
Has there been an arc yet in the comic (barring King's unresolved story) that things *didn't* turn out "happily ever after"?

Um....

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/12/2 ... ristmas-2/

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/11/25/whoops/

Just off the top of my head....
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The first one is because Keene was a "bad guy" for that strip.

The second wasn't really a bad ending so much as the introduction of conflict.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

There are other examples, the most glaring being the end of year 3.

My point being that if---if, if, if, if, IF---if there is to be some sort of bittersweet ending where King becomes Joel again, separated from his friends in BG but given another shot at human life (an ending which some seem to think is looking less likely), OR one where he remains King but cannot keep the friends he has (which is FAR less likely than the first ending), then I kind of wish it would get here sooner rather than later.

But if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and everything will be awesome.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm fairly certain you're wrong.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Sleet wrote:I'm fairly certain you're wrong.
Well, then everything will be awesome, won't it? :P
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Yeah, I see the first as more of a humorous, "Do you think we forgot something?" "Nahhhhh."

And the second just seems like a comic version of, "WILL OUR HEROES BE ABLE TO STOP HIM? FIND OUT NEXT TIME!", and the dialogue between Bino and Tiger is purely for comedic value.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

This really isn't an "unhappy ending" sort of comic. Even the sad bits are left open to be resolved later.

The only unhappy thing I could think up was something in my head. I had the picture of Fluffy crying for his daddy as he is loaded into the animal control van and hauled away. The situation with Sasha and her alcoholic own is yet to be resolved but I doubt it will be tragic.

Even though Pete used this mostly just to torment him, it is a second chance at life that would have been far better than his human life. Its not going to be easy but going to the vet is a lot better than prison! I think he is really teaching him how love, how to feel empathy and ultimately be a better person.

There is almost something Dickensian about it.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Thing is, what I would do is totally and completely irrelevant to what's going to happen because Rick is the writer not me. I can spend the whole day making guesses on what's going to happen, but till things start happening, it's a waste of time.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Nothing wrong with making guesses for the fun of it.

Besides, it's a nice exercise in imagination, if nothing else. :)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Point.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

KJOokami wrote:Has there been an arc yet in the comic (barring King's unresolved story) that things *didn't* turn out "happily ever after"?
Well, in this case, now that I think about it, there doesn't completely HAVE to be. The part of King's unresolved story that I am primarily concerned with, above ALL others, is his friendship with Fox. I want to see that particular point resolved as soon as possible. Bailey, the cosmic game, the rest of it could wait if that were resolved. I can't really enjoy a friendship that isn't complete, and, if Fox doesn't take it well, perhaps wasn't even real to begin with. So THAT'S where I stand, in case I wasn't clear before.

I'm also hoping that that particular point doesn't get grouped in with the others and all are resolved at once, because that may be a WHILE: Rick is sounding like he's in this for the long haul yet.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

PhoenixAsper wrote:Well, in this case, now that I think about it, there doesn't completely HAVE to be. The part of King's unresolved story that I am primarily concerned with, above ALL others, is his friendship with Fox. I want to see that particular point resolved as soon as possible. Bailey, the cosmic game, the rest of it could wait if that were resolved. I can't really enjoy a friendship that isn't complete, and, if Fox doesn't take it well, perhaps wasn't even real to begin with. So THAT'S where I stand, in case I wasn't clear before.

I don't really see how that changes anything. Your first post indicated that you thought King might decide to go back to being a human because Rick doesn't strike you as the type to make things "THAT happy-ever-after". So I responded that I think you're wrong on that account because what we've seen of the comic so far is the polar opposite of what you were suggesting.

If the only thing that truly concerns you is whether Fox and King's current relationship is "real" and will continue through the rest of the comic, then I'll say that your concern is likely misplaced. This storyline with King and Fox has been going on-and-off for well over a year now, and it'd go against the general tone of the comic to have such a bitter ending. So we can be reasonably sure (we won't know for certain until Rick finalizes it in the comic) that there will not be some big fallout between King and Fox, there won't be some deep realization that "they were never truly friends", or some equally depressing conclusion.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

KJOokami wrote:If the only thing that truly concerns you is whether Fox and King's current relationship is "real" and will continue through the rest of the comic, then I'll say that your concern is likely misplaced. This storyline with King and Fox has been going on-and-off for well over a year now, and it'd go against the general tone of the comic to have such a bitter ending. So we can be reasonably sure (we won't know for certain until Rick finalizes it in the comic) that there will not be some big fallout between King and Fox, there won't be some deep realization that "they were never truly friends", or some equally depressing conclusion.
<crazyinsanelaugh> :lol: :shock:

EVERYBODY'S telling me not to worry about this but ME! Somehow I sometimes still can't shake the feeling that something painful may be on the horizon where that is concerned.

My auxiliary concern, though, is also that Fox won't find out the truth UNTIL the end of the comic, and there's no "after that". It'd be kind of a shame, regardless of WHERE King or Joel finally ends his story.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

PhoenixAsper wrote:EVERYBODY'S telling me not to worry about this but ME! Somehow I sometimes still can't shake the feeling that something painful may be on the horizon where that is concerned.
On the other hand... Rick has stated that he doesn't like King's character much, and his character wasn't supposed to be likable in the first place. Perhaps he'll have something horrible happen to him after all... ooooooOOOOOOOoooOOOOoo! *waggles fingers*