HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Daggy

Re: HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread

Post by Daggy »

Finally caught back up. (Had to go read Dean's fics =>). Fantastically done. You sure can weave various worlds and characters into your story rather easily. Fairly jealous of that ability :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

valerio wrote:*pops champagne* congratulations on your success! After mine, the others will be a milkrun :lol:
Btw, did you also read the ficcies in continuity?
Star-Crossed (the one that started it all): https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=13&t=140
Auld Lang Syne (prequel to SC): https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=13&t=144
Symphony in Periwinkle (the masterwork that got me into writing mine): https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=13&t=245

And of course Projectiles of Protection/A Lost Hope: the parallel ficcie set in my continuity: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=13&t=791
I did read the first three and PoP is on my to read list. it is near the top, considering it's ongoing and the longer I put it off, the more I'll have to read.

now to the episode: I was kinda hoping for an affair. darn. Oh well, destroying his marriage without romance is just as good, I guess.

so now SD is out of the picture? will there be a new player to join the game or is the game over before it is supposed to be? or will she get a slap on the wrist and go to get a new avatar? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

EDIT: I just had an idea. one of grapes kittens should be named Nutella. (Peanut and Grape Jelly). because Nutella Sandwich is such a delicious name.
EDIT AGAIN: I believe Grape will only have two kittens. she will also have two puppies, and one puppy with a cat's tail, like Peanut's drawing.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

that's right but i think this would be a too hard fate for the cute kitten and Valerio already has for certain the names for the small ones readily :lol:
I'm a happy playfull kitty in a party of my soul but form time to time a evil wolf
that's my soul and i love it and I would want to change it never
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but such a delicious name. he could easily change the name. he's only for sure said Dayshaun and Tarot. the other three are a mystery so far.
and they could just say her name is Ella, but call her Nutella if she misbehaves.

and she can have a brother named Monte Cristo Sandwich, "Monty" for short. why not use the naming conventions. I figure Earl and Max would at least suggest these names, whether or not Grape would threaten them to pick another name.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

we just will have to wait till we get said the last 2 names and we at the same time do not know how many boys at all and become it for girls ^^
I'm a happy playfull kitty in a party of my soul but form time to time a evil wolf
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: EDIT: I just had an idea. one of grapes kittens should be named Nutella. (Peanut and Grape Jelly). because Nutella Sandwich is such a delicious name.
EDIT AGAIN: I believe Grape will only have two kittens. she will also have two puppies, and one puppy with a cat's tail, like Peanut's drawing.
Nutella. (Peanut and Grape Jelly)
Oh god, what. How haven't I seen that one before? That's glorious!

I'm not totally sure, but I think it was implied earlier that they all will be kittens though. Peanut thinking about how "there won't be a mini Peanut" or something along those lines. We'll have to wait and hope for the best, because puppy with a cat's tail would be totally awesome.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

EvanAierkan wrote:I'm not totally sure, but I think it was implied earlier that they all will be kittens though. Peanut thinking about how "there won't be a mini Peanut" or something along those lines. We'll have to wait and hope for the best, because puppy with a cat's tail would be totally awesome.
that's just what everyone assumes. as far as I know, the characters have know way of knowing any more than we do, they're just assuming it will be kittens because they think it should have been made easy for them to keep the secret. Only Valerio knows for sure.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, scans already evidenced they are kittens. As for the names, epusode 20, the season's grand finale, will show the answers about their look and names :mrgreen:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

scans also indicated I was a girl. they can't always be completely trusted.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

fin form episode 20?I cannot wait until there ... (it already can but does not want ...)
valerio

Post by valerio »

I should say that you worry me, but again I seemed human, back in the womb days
And then Grape is getting regular scans. By now, any species difference would be visible
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I suppose. however, would one find it so easy to tell the difference between a cat and a dog with a cat's tail using only the scans?

but I guess you arguing means that they're probably all kittens, so I now predict that some of them will have Peanut's coloring.

also, even if you don't use the names I suggested (but you totally should) I suggest you throw them in as a joke before the actual names are revealed.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

And that's considering how this changed than what the original version of your fic had displayed the name which is Raspberry :P so I'm sure it will be better.

Speaking of name, we got the unofficial official name of the third wolf cub. Considering she's a girl in your story, this is even funnier. Guess that's why she changed it to Lightsaber. What a coincidence.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

Enough with the names already! Valerio already said that the names would show up after the kittens are born. Also i hope that now there is no more life threatening :twisted: or violent attempts to hurt Mr.Foster and those who love and surround him. I mean it seems like not 2-3 weeks after the last adventure or threat a new one shows up :( , cant the characters have a break for once! Anyway great last couple of chapters there now. :D
Yes, I am a furry.
valerio

Post by valerio »

HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES
Season II
Episode 17 – Dealing with it
By VALERIO

Florence House, Babylon Gardens

The black-furred paws gently grabbed the red silk tablecloth’s corner and folded it into a neat triangle. Then the cloth went into a box, completing the neat pile of the last object to be moved from that house: fifteen different tarot cards decks, a zodiac panel, a book on coffee tables that could be used as coffee table (the only sign that its owner had a latent humor sense) and, inside a blue velvet box, a necklace with an eye of Ra tag.
“This is the last, boys,” Sabrina said, closing the box and sealing it with brown tape.
“And make sure you used only neuter colors to seal them and mark them,” said another voice from the room. “Last thing I want is the warehouse to get covered with ectoplasm.”
Peanut and Fido came out the room. Peanut was carrying a heavy box, grunting. “I can’t believe she could keep all that stuff in one room!”
Sabrina marked the box with a deep brown marker, then let Fido took it. “Are you sure you didn’t own…something else?” he asked. With that last box, the house looked as if the burglar had had the time of his life in it.
The black cat pecked her dog’s nose. “I guess that this is a good moment to rediscover a normal life. Consider it a sign of renewal, just like the imminent births.”
Peanut was coming back in that moment. “Hey, guys, I put my last box awa—“
“There was this too!” Fido said, giving, or rather almost throwing the last box into the other poor dog’s arms. Peanut ‘oomphed’, but managed not to drop it.
Fido took Sabrina’s paws in his. “Listen, there is a thing I wanted to ask you. But you must promise me not to get worked up, okay?”
She raised an eyebrow. “And what would that be, my love?” Fido had acted strangely since his return from that mission in another timeline. The way he was looking at her, like he was scared to speak out… “Fido, you know you can trust me. Tell me.”
“Would you consider adopt a kitten? Or a puppy?”
She had the curious sensation that it wasn’t her Fido, but the doppelganger.
Fido wouldn’t ask her about…adopting. He had two mates, her and his job.
Sabrina wasn’t simply at a loss for words, she was at a loss for thoughts. Fido was holding paws with a Mme Tussaud’s statue.
“That would be such a nice idea,” said Tarot from her room. “This place surely needs new life, not echoes of the past ones. *tch* It will take a lot of work to properly exorcise it…”
“Sabrina?” Fido asked. “Are you all right?”
“Ah, sorry, guys,” Peanut said at that moment, walking up the stairs. “The tape got stuck in my paw fur, Sab! Can you help me?” He was trying to pull it away, but all he had managed to do was to curl the tape into a sticky ball. “Owchie,” he said every time he pulled.
Fido sighed, though he was happy for that interruption –what the fur had gotten into him?! He couldn’t drop such a bomb out of the blue! Stupid, Fido, stupid!
He let go of Sabrina. “Give it one pull, instead of little ones. It’ll hurt only a moment.”
“Thank you.” Peanut grabbed the tape ball and pulled.
“Wait! I forgot to tell, use a glove on the other paw, or—“ too late. Peanut had pulled, and the tape stuck to his other paw, and the paw went against Sabrina’s chest.
Peanut blushed. “Err, whoops?”
“I’ll go take some water,” Fido offered.
“Ah, don’t worry, this time I’ll take more care!”
“No, wait!” both dog and cat said.

RRRIIIPPP!
Came from Florence House. Just as if a wall had been cleaned with one stroke from a year worth of wallpaper.
Then, Peanut’s voice. “Er, whoops. Uh, I got some krazy glue home for your fur? Don’t look at me like that, guys, it was an accident! Hey, Sabrina, what big teeth you have…”
---
Lucky Charm Grove for the Abandoned and the Ferals

Evelyn Sunman was nervous. Even moreso than when she had dealt with the social assistant. That was the easy part, convince her peers that she was fit to adopt two dogs, and she wasn’t exactly in her prime.
But she was sure this visit would go fine. That, or she was going to hit the nearest bottle… Okay, no need to be so drastic, but she wanted a family of her own so much! She had always been envious of every single human being who walked out the shelter with a child! But she had also vowed to give her best to the shelter, to help more innocents…
Okay, relax, girl! Now you’re officially retired, that nice Bill will take your place and you’re gonna enjoy your well-deserved family time!
And if they said they were not interested, she’s kidnap them and go live in Cuba!
“I hope you like Samba…” Evelyn knocked at the door. “May I?” she asked, opening it.

“Miss Sunman!!” Her name was Mirai, Japanese for ‘future’. But it had revealed a cruel joke, for Mirai, a mixed breed pup with the most colorful fur you could see on a dog, suffered from a disease that made her vulnerable to many common illnesses. Her life expectation was short, about half a normal animal.
That didn’t make her less lively, as she proved by running to the elder human and jumping in her arms without that the woman had to bend down to pick her up. The pup was smiling excitedly and her little fluffy tail was in overdrive mode. “Otis and I were studying the solar system! Did you know that one of Mars’ moons will fall on its surface one day? Our Moon, instead, will be far, far away from us. Did you know?”
The Doberman Otis was looking at them from the desk, where the computer was running the educational software. As usual, his expression was one of expectation and anxiety. That poor creature had bet everything and lost everything just to save her, thinking her owners were mistreating her... And the pup, hungry for affection, had immediately developed a strong attachment to Otis.
Evelyn nodded, while ruffling her head fur. “I was a school teacher, dear, I taught a lot of things like that. Heh, all my pupils wanted to be astronauts, at a time or the other. And you? Wanna be an astronaut too?”
She nodded eagerly. “I’ll be just like Laika, I’ll orbit around the world and drink cupfuls taken from the Milky Way!”
Evelyn kissed the pup on her head. “You’ll do just that, brave astronaut.” Carrying her, she went to the bed. She sat down, then used her free hand to pat on the mattress, inviting Otis to join them.
Frowning, the Doberman went and sat beside the woman. Evelyn handed the pup to him, and Otis wrapped her protectively. His gaze still showed doubt, threw silent questions.
The woman said, “I have resigned from the position of Director of this Shelter. I am going to get a temporary job of running a sort of mixed species community at a nearby farm. It’s a big house, there will be lots of animals, and you’ll have an occasion to start anew. As part of my family.”
That made the two dogs’ ears perk up. Otis was going to speak, when again Mirai started wagging crazy. “You’re going to be our new Mommy?! Yay!” Her expression turned suddenly blue. “I mean, sorry, ma’am. Can we call you Mom?”
Evelyn stroked her chin with a finger. “Dear, I expect no less of you.”
Mirai beamed up again. *thump thump thump thump* went her tail against Otis’ chest.
Evelyn said, “I also expect you to be playful with the other animals, to study, to be a nice girl, and to eat your food… And I expect you, Otis, to be her guardian angel just like you are being now.”
The big dog seemed doubtful. “Are you sure? I mean, I—“
“I know you’re a good boy,” she interrupted him, stroking his thigh. “During my years as teacher, I met so many young humans who had their own…bouts of misfortune. And if they deserved a chance to redemption, so do you. Mirai needs you, you’re more family to her than everyone else.”
“You will come with me to the farm, will you Otis? We’ll play together and do school together and know the farm animals…” she nuzzled against him. “You won’t leave me, right? Do you like to be with me, right?”
The Doberman ran a claw along her back, ruffling her fur. “Of course I like to be with you, lady. Remember? Together forever, just as I promised you.” He looked at the woman. “Will be there any work for us, at this…farm?”
Evelyn shook her head. “If you two really want, something may be found. We’ll see. For now, all I want is to take care of you children. So?”
Otis scoffed. “Heh, I’m a bit too old to be called ‘child’, but hey, as long as I can stay with this fuzzball…” He held out his paw to shake. “Thank you, ma’-Mom.”
---
Zero Room

Appearances could be deceiving, and so was young age.
Robin Keaton, magna mack truck laude, Ph.D., could still look like a freshman, and his degree at Yale was so fresh that one could stain his hands with its ink, but his papers on Pet Psychiatrics was destined to become a best-seller in that field. Keaton was Martin Foster’s first choice for the head of psychiatry at the shelter.
Robin’s educational curriculum reflected his devotion to the animal world. But that devotion had its price…literally. The young doctor was heavily indebted, just like many peers in his position. When he got out of the university, he was a conflicted man: he could easily start to work for rich clients, pay up his debts with a couple of years of work, sell his thesis and make extra money, work to apply for a teaching position…
But Robin wanted to help the helpless, put his thesis to work on the traumatized strays, the creatures who desperately needed a family instead of being put down. But he couldn’t do that without money to open his own study. And in these times, banks weren’t keen on helping out young indebted vets, especially psychiatrists.
Foster’s offer for a well-paid job and a chance to publish his thesis was like the proverbial manna. Robin had accepted without hesitation, finding in that guy not a rich, spoiled man, but one who wanted to make money count!

Right now, Robin Keaton felt a lot of frustration for the challenge awaiting him.
Zeke and Quincy Jones, two Dalmatian brothers, ex-police dogs, didn’t look like they would break their vow of silence and defiance.
They had worked as double agents, at the same time feigning to be PETA infiltrators and collecting information for their real masters –people who had undoubtedly trained them well. If these dogs were humans, it was doubtful torture would break them.
The DA’s office was working night and day to fathom the nature of those information, but to no avail. In the age of Internet, Zeke and Quincy had worked the old fashion, using only paper trail and voice. And any compromising paper would be burnt.
On top of that, not even the certainty of being put down for their misdeeds could shake them. Analyses showed no signs of physical trauma, old or recent. Their trainer had worked in a very professional manner with them. And it took time, and a high degree of specialization, to make a pet dog to work against the system from within.
That was the most important clue, to Keaton: why send highly trained dogs in a covert mission to the precinct of a suburban pet-friendly community? Foster was a target, and so were the Milton ferrets, but both had even published a book with their biographies. Foster had made a courageous step, admitting he had abandoned his brother and pets to his abusive family, but the books also illustrated his path through that hell and to redemption in vivid details. The ferrets proved that ol’ Milton was an eccentric guy but a honest mogul at heart –a rare oxymoron.
In other words, police held no records of misbehaviors from the Foster or the Milton family.
Robin Keaton helped himself to another cup of water. A good tactic was to make his interlocutors believe he was getting nervous rather than the other way around. It gave them confidence. “Do you think they will come to set you free?”
Silence.
Robin drank a couple of sips. “Do you actually think they will come to rescue on a limo? Guys, you are expendable.”
Which brought him and the DA to the owners: Mr. and Mrs. Jones had disappeared into thin air, provided they existed at all. Few contacts, they were said to be working on night shifts. And of course no one knew what was their job. If they had had a computer, it was gone with them. All payments had been made with cash –small amounts, to make sure they’d leave no trail.
Again, pure professionals at work. You didn’t cover up so good just to hack into the police’ database. And there was literally no one with records worth such attention –or so Foster had confided him, and Foster had ears and eyes like CIA’s. That guy scared Robin, sometime…
“So what?” Zeke said, talking for the first time since they had been deported to the shelter. “This is such a nice place, not bad as a death row. Even if they put us down, they’d do it in the most humane way possible. Not so bad a deal, after all.”
Robin shook his head. There were three chapters, in his thesis, dealing with this kind of attitude. A part of him wished he had had subjects like these two Dalmatians while writing it. They’d make a movie out of these spy dogs! “In one week you will be dead. What’s worth it? I am pretty sure it’s not hate that motivates you: why risk it all?”
Zeke and Quincy Jones didn’t answer.
---
At the shelter’s main entrance, a minibus with the colors and the logo of the LCG came to a halt.
Joel Foster had the task to welcome the new guests to their new (hopefully temporary) home. It wasn’t an easy job, but he had specifically asked for it: if he wanted to be in the business, even if he still didn’t share his older brother’s devotion for animals, he had all intentions to earn his seat in this place. He was honestly tired of being a lowlife.
The bus’ door opened, and out came one single dog. Thank Lord for small favors.
Animal Control had tried to give the pup a scrubbing, but that young mixed breed still needed a thorough one. The silvery striped medium fur still showed gasoline stains, it showed old scars from brawls, and he definitely smelled like street.
The file from AC said his name was Elias ‘Tommy’ DiLero. Five years. The chip had been ripped off in a fight, tattoo had become unreadable. But with Elias’ help, they could trace his owner, a Mattias DiLero, dead two years earlier in a car wreck.
Which left a question open: why a dog perfectly capable of going to Animal Control and ID himself would waste two years wandering in the streets? Joel decided it was worth a check –and perhaps he’d climb a couple or three steps up the ladder, here…
Joel extended his hand to the dog, introducing himself.
The dog shook hands. “Charmed. You can call me Tommy. Like the gun, you know. Do you like my scarf? Dad regalata me.”
Was that an Italian word? “Nice stuff,” Joel said, though it was difficult to see the original green tissue – wool or cotton? – under all those stains. “Before we do the checkup, though, I’ll have to see it washed, okay?” If Doc Stanwick saw that thing in his uberclean room, he’d take two scalpels and make a cross with them, chanting in Latin to exorcise the filthy presence.
---
Sandwich House

“Since you came back from the Shelter, you started lavishing Tarot with attentions,” Grape said. “Bad doggie, are you already looking for a new wife only because I look like the Hindenburg, now?”
“You said it, not me,” Peanut said, while brushing the cat’s tail. He loved so much that tail. He really needed to get back to work to his Christmas present but he also needed some cuddles.
“You’re doing it again, love.”
“Hmruf?” Only then the dog realized he was holding the tail around his neck like a scarf, his expression dreamy in bliss. He blushed slightly. “Err, softy?”
Grape sighed. “Just don’t do that when the birth comes. I’d like it to be a solemn occasion, not the memory for the World’s Funniest.”
“Promise,” Peanut said, but kept nuzzling the tail-scarf.
The doorbell rang.
“I’ll get it!” Peanut said, already on his way to the door, the cat’s tail still hanging for a moment in the shape he had left it.

“Max, you know the rules, this is not the mo—“ Peanut was saying before the door was even completely open.
He stopped dead in his track. His eyes went pinpoint, really not expecting this guest.
Not one who looked like a reflection of his old self in a time-distorting mirror.
“When you’re finished gawking like a groupie before Rin Tin Tin, would you like to introduce me to my daughter-in-law?” Budweiser said.
crono5

Post by crono5 »

Yay Bud ! :lol:
Grape will meet her father-in-law XD
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Awesome work as always, Val. loved the first part. Peanut's so ditzy sometimes. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

daddy is at home again with his son and his daughter-in-law but grape's description of herself as the Hindenburg was funnily too next time : this one has the iceberg sunk the Titanic near :lol:
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

Yay Bud is back!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

crono5 wrote:Yay Bud ! :lol:
Grape will meet her father-in-law XD
It'll turn out better than if Peanut meet his.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
valerio

Post by valerio »

The house had seen its share of joys and sorrow, happiness and sadness, good intentions turned into failure.
This place used to belong to Roger Hartford and her wife. They had bought it just a week prior getting their own first pup.
Sasha had lived happily with her parents, and then she had seen the marriage dissolving, and then her Dad getting drunk. Sasha hadn’t suffered…much. She needed her Dad, she loved him too much to realize the kind of human he was.
But in the end, it had been Roger who had left. Good riddance! He had left, abandoning Sasha to her own devices. Bino had consoled her, had comforted her, and Uncle Martin had given her a shelter.
Fido’s parents had adopted her, and she had come to live with the Gardens’ top dog. The girls were still eating their livers, and it was of scarce consolation that she had eventually married Bino –defying all rules of good sense. She was still too close to the object of their desires, despite Fido being a cat-lover through and through.
Hartford House had been abandoned ever since, as if waiting for this day.
The day a very particular new family would occupy it.

“Periscope depth,” whispered a voice. A moment later, from the bushes emerged an actual periscope. The thing started scanning the street making sonar sounds.
“See anything?” asked that same voice.
“Still nothing.”
“They’re late.”
“Don’t tell me! You said they’d be here by now.”
“I know them: punctuality is a family th—“
The periscope turned in the opposite direction. “I heard something!”
It wasn’t an impression. The notes from Wagner’s Ride of the Valkyries filled the air with growing intensity, the music filled with the roar of a powerful engine…
“Crickey!” said the one at the periscope. And he had all reason to do so.
The vehicle was one big mama! It put SUVs to shame. One could mount a turret and a rocket launcher on its hood and roof and still have some extra space for guns. The wheel themselves grated against the asphalt as if wanting to eat it.
Instead of the turret and rocket launcher, the ‘car’ displayed a battery of headlights that could throw lights as powerful as phasers. The hood showed an enormous American Eagle with wings spread in the act of catching its prey. The doors were decorated with a flaming Confederate Flag. The front plate read Sweet Killer Kansas!
The periscope disappeared.
King turned to Fox. “I can’t believe a nice dog like you comes from that family! But it explains why Bailey is a tough girl.”
“Ah, don’t worry,” the husky said. “Christine was a whim of Granpa Carson. The family kept it because he promised he’d have them disowned if they sold her or refitted her.”
King raised an eyebrow. “The car’s name is Christine? Like..”
Bailey, standing at the other side of the corgi, said, “Granpa thought it was a great concept wasted on a Plymouth. And thank you for the ‘tough girl’ part.”
King grinned. “Only being honest…” Then he sighed. “I guess this is goodbye, then. You’ll go live back with your family now.”
Bailey kissed him on the head. “Dear, we’re still neighbors, and you get to see me at work… If you didn’t change idea, of course.”
King hugged the female husky. “No way. Just remember to be here when Bino comes back from the Academy. It won’t be worth it if I won’t see his face once I introduce you.”
Bailey nodded. “I’ll remember, don’t worry. It sounds fun.”
Christine stopped in front of the former Hartford House.
---
Sandwich House

“Son, I too am happy to see you, but please…my poor back!”
“Papapapapapapapapapa…” Peanut looked like the happiest puppy in the world. He liked his human parents, he loved them a great lot…but being back with his biological father was a joy he couldn’t express if not hugging Budweiser as hard as he could and repeating that word as if it was the sweetest melody.
“I wondered if our kittens will love us as much,” Grape said, looking at the scene. “I think I won’t have to worry about that.”
Peanut let go of Bud. He extended his arm toward the cat. “Papa, this is Grape Jelly. My wife.” He pronounced that word with all the legitimate pride he could muster.
Bud went and hugged the cat. “I must say, no picture could make you justice, ma’am. Is my son keeping you happy?”
“He’s a natural at that, Bud. And call me Grape, please.”
Bud grinned. “Only if you keep calling me by name. I can stand my ex-grunts to call me ‘Sir’, but enough with the formal stuff. Outside of the work, of course.”
Peanut looked suddenly downcast. “When you’ll go back to the Academy?” he asked, tapping his fingers.
Budweiser snapped his fingers. “Forgot to tell you, eh? Silly ol’ me: I retired from the Academy.”
Peanut’s pupils almost disappeared. “You what?!
His father nodded. “Remember that chat we had about family values? Well, I think it’s time for this ol’ hound to help his son to grow his grandsons and watch them get the best of their parents.”
You don’t know how much will they get! “And where will you live? You said you got a job? Where?”
Grape chuckled. It was so good to see her mate back to his old enthusiastic self! “Hey, Nutty, give him some respite, will you?”
“Ahh, that’s not a problem, Grape.” Bud sat up on the couch. “Better, far better a lively son than a bunch of grunts unable to stand a session of training: one would think I was leading the army of the undead.”
“Well,” Jill said, pushing a cart with drinks and cookies, “you surely put muscles on him. Now every dog looks at him with a new respect.”
“Mom!” Peanut blushed.
Bud chuckled, and took the plate of cookies the woman had handed to him. “He’s been one of my best cadets, together with Fido. And I don’t regret sending him back home; Police would’ve stolen him from you.”
Grape whistled. She took just a sip of a beverage her doctor had ordered to take in place of other drinks that milk. Whatever it was, it wasn’t bad. “Why, Peanut, you never told me that during our Sunday chats.”
Peanut became even redder. “Uh, buh…because…”
“Because I never congratulated on my grunts,” Bud said, chewing a cookie. He gulped it down. “Although I made a mistake with this guy: if I trained him with the ‘snuggle’ command, instead of ‘attack’, he would do a lot better.” He massaged his back. “But seriously, son, I hope I can live to the day I’ll see your children do exactly what you did with me, before. You won’t feel better than that. And I’m sorry for not being present in your life, but now it’s time to make up for that.”
Peanut rubbed the elder dog’s head. “I’m just happy you’re back…but where you will—“
“Yes, right: I will be living at the shelter—“
“Nonsense!” Jill said. “We have room enough for another dog, and there’s no way you’re going to stay anywhere else. Especially at the shelter, like a homeless dog!”
Bud cleared his throat. “Your offer is most generous, ma’am, but—“
“No ‘but’, mister! You’re the father of my Peanut and you came back to be part of his life. So you’ll live here. When Earl comes back, he’ll help you to set your stuff in the guest room.”
Bud bowed his head. “In this case, thank you ma’—“
“Jill. Since ‘Mom’ would be really awkward.”
“Jill. Thank you. As for my stuff, it’s all in that bag.” He pointed at the big sack he had brought with him.
“Oh, that’s not much, papa,” Peanut said.
Bud nodded. “The meager fruits of a life dedicated to make a career. But don’t think I won’t teach your litter some discipline, boy.”
Grape snickered. “Excellent idea. Perhaps you’ll teach them to distinguish male from female as well.” And she explained how first Peanut came to learn about his wife’s gender.
The poor dog felt like turning into an ornament and disappear inside a Matrioska. “Graaape! You promised!
Poor Bud was doing his best not explode in a laughter, but his eyes were shedding tears. “Oh by dog! Oh my! Peanut, congratulations, this one I had still to hear.” He shook his head. “But to his honor, when I started eating him because I suspected he was a cat-lover, he defended you with such a strength that I couldn’t not respect him for that.”
Grape kissed her husband on the neck. “Aw, how sweet. You defended our love in front of everyone.”
Bud patted Peanut’s thigh. “Now, grunt: one day, you will collect a lot of embarrassing facts about your offspring. And with such a family, there will be a truckload of them.”
Peanut left the couch. “Well, since you two want to destroy my reputation, why don’t you just do that without me? I gotta go work on my Christmas present for Grape. Thank you for staying, papa.” He kissed Bud’s cheek. Then he gave a good one to Grape. “And you’re still the prettiest Zeppelin I ever seen.” He then ran away, followed by curses and a storm of pillows.
When the door had slammed shut, Grape asked to Bud, this time with a more serious tone. “What about Bino? What do you make of him?”
The old dog shrugged. “On one side, he’s being a good cadet and a good leader of his class. If he survives the course, he’ll come back an even more confident dog… But a part of me fears that won’t help him at all.”
Grape nodded. “Bino has an immense ego, enough to make Saturn float in it. He doesn’t need another boost. I’m afraid that his club is going to see a…radicalization in its rules.” Then she proceeded to explain what was the role of Bino within the canine community.
“So far, despite him being the President of the Good Ol’ Dogs Club, he’s been outranked by Fido because Fido was the superstar. But now Bino will be seen as a de facto strong leader, in every respect. If he decided to purge the Club from the members he doesn’t like, no one will stop him… Of course, it’s not that I care for a bunch of bonepickers, but no one here would really like a clash of personalities between him and Fido.”
Bud sipped his decaf tea. “I see. Or, perhaps, you’re getting him wrong.”
Grape raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry..?”
“I’m saying that perhaps he’ll realize his new responsibilities. Academy is not only about physicals, you see: there is a lot of school in regard of our future duties. There is even a series of attitudinal tests. Unless Bino is a pathological liar…”
Grape shook her head. “No. I don’t like him, but I can’t say he’s a liar. In fact, once, he’s been really…open about himself.” She remembered when she and Max had visited his room, and then discovered a side of him they had never suspected… “He’s arrogant, mean, pesky, but he’s true. I guess that is why the other dogs tend to rely on him: they know he won’t lie to them.”
Bud showed a half-smile. “See? Believe me, one or the other, he’ll be a better dog, although not a nicer one.”
Grape sighed. “And that was my only allowed dose of headache, Bud.” She grinned wickedly. “But tell me now, was really my Nutty that good?”
Bud’s chest swelled with pride. “Once, I wanted to punish Bino and Peanut joined him…”
Last edited by valerio on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

I loved the ' ' marks around the word car, that made me laugh, also peanut calling grape a zepplin was absolutely hilarious
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I loved peanut's reunion with his biological dad.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

So much for mature cat lover and he just angered two lady cats in the same day. :roll:
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Interesting that a chance meeting at the K9 Academy changed Bud's perspective like that.
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

Peanut :"a gigantic purple zeppelin is appeared Sir in front of us with a bad face what shall we do ?"
Bud :"test cuddle or tickle"
Peanut :"we are thrown at big pillows Sir what should we.....*smack*

Not more as a stupid try to taunt grape :lol:
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

I have no idea why I did this.
valerio

Post by valerio »

OMD! What have I done... :lol: :lol:
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

...Bahaha, that picture. Bud scene was nice :>
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

I love that picture so much, it has probably made my day
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

sees if I form this think I partly always mean it guiltily, too but it fortunately is Valerio's principal fault :twisted:

But i can say what i want this picture is realy good perhaps I print this for me well as a poster
this must for me think over once again ^^
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

EvanAierkan wrote:Image
I have no idea why I did this.
I don't know why you did it either, but I am glad you did. that is awesome. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Best fanart for a fanfic EVAH!!!!!

Love Peanut's expression.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

“Do you think it’s a bad idea?” Fido asked.
The police dog and the black cat were still there, sitting on the porch. They had been there like that for about a couple of hours now. Sabrina would have found it ironical, that her pose – her legs drawn up to her chest, with him looking at her and hesitantly holding out a paw to her shoulder – did reflect the pose Peanut and Grape had held during their fated chat to set the ‘fake dates’ thing.
Sabrina’s eyes seemed lost in a world only she could see. “Fido, our families can’t afford a new life. And I… I am not sure this could work. Not like this, not because you were traumatized into this.”
Fido bit his lower lip. “It’s not—“
“It is the truth.” She grabbed his floppy ear between two fingers, feeling it’s softness, the consistence of the fur. “You have seen a world where things did go really bad, and you want to exorcise that vision. But we’re talking about innocent lives here, Fido. Raising a family means more than sating one’s fears. You would have to subtract time to your job.” This time she leaned her head against his shoulder. “And I know you think that you could. Now. But one day you’ll regret such a decision, because helping out the others is not a job: it’s your nature and I love you for that. You know I never regretted one day being part of this relationship, even if we had our difficult moments.”
Fido nodded, tried to smile, but something in his eyes told her he wasn’t convinced. “I don’t know… I mean, I know you’re right, of course, but… But now that they are having their own litter, I can’t help myself asking—“
“’Why not me?’” Sabrina went and sat on his lap. She started stroking his cheek. To an external observer, they were just having a romantic moment. And no one would’ve heard her whispering in a really low voice, “Fido, you weren’t even supposed to know that, no one is supposed to know. Because then every other couple will ask themselves the same thing. And to every one of them, Tarot and I should explain that this was a true miracle, the one and only that happens in a lifetime, the stuff ancient myths are made of. It was not some small favors.
“Peanut and Grape were blessed by the spirits, not by Tarot. She didn’t go ‘Abracadabra’ on them, she just offered them a chance. The only luck they had was to be in the right place at the right moment. It won’t happen again. And remember, consorting with magic to deliberately create new life where it’s not supposed to be leads only to chaos and sorrow.” That last sentence sent chills into Fido’s very soul –Sabrina could be scary when she meant it.
And Fido had enough sense of responsibility to understand that this argument was over and done with. “But will you think about adoption?” Fido kissed his beloved cat. He still felt that special thrill of showing such an intimate display of affection in front of everyone. “You’re right, as for a change, about my nature, but I still feel the need to raise a family.”
She rubbed against him as if against a couch. She purred loudly. “Don’t let it go then. Just make sure you take the right decision with a clear mind and heart. I will be waiting. No pressure… And, Fido?”
“Yes, love?”
“Thank you for considering it. It’s the first time we seriously talk about this step, and I’m really proud of you.”
Fido scoffed in mock indignation. “Meaning that you weren’t proud of moi, before, witch?”
She nipped his ear –hmm, even his ears were buffy! “Silly. Just remember, no small talk about our friends, okay?”
“O-kay.”
Sabrina stood up. She stretched so languidly that Fido almost got a nosebleed –Grape could be exotic, with her lavender color, but she still was a sort of tomcat. Sabrina was feminine from ears to tail, she so made his blood boil..!
“Now I need to go: I will bring Tarot to the mall . She really needs to work on her social skills now that she decided to turn to a more normal lifestyle, but first we really need to redecorate the house. And you are going to be busy. So, goodbye love.” She bent down and kissed the tip of his nose.
Fido looked at her walking back inside. He wondered what she meant with—
“Hey, Romeo, guess what?”
Fido felt his face burning up. He wondered how could Peanut be so casual with Grape in public! “Hey, Kev,” he said, his heart still hammering hard. “Wanted to tell me some—“ it was his turn to fall silent. “I can’t believe it.”
Beside the Doberman stood the dog that had forged him since he was a pup freshman at the academy. “I must have failed at something, if my best grunts get in as dogs and come out as cat-lovers,” Budweiser said.
“BUDDY!” Fido covered the distance between him and the older dog with a jump worthy of Hobbes. They both rolled down the street, barking happily. They ended up with Budy being on top, pinning the younger dog down.
“I’ll forgive you calling me that because I’m officially out of the Corps.” He stood up and helped Fido up. “You made me proud, boy. I’m sure I’ll live long enough to see you promoted to Sergeant, and Ralph moving to instruct some hapless mutt. The guy’s got a lot of grit.”
Fido chuckled. “For now, I’ll keep worrying about surviving my colleagues.”
“They giving you a hard time?”
Fido shrugged. “It was worst the first times, then something happened, perhaps a collective crisis of conscience, and I was reintegrated.”
Bud shook his head. “Then you were lucky, boy: back in my days, you would be out and that was that. And shame on you for not introducing her.”
Fido sighed. He extended his arm to the house. “Bud, Sabrina. Sabrina, Bud. She is somewhat…absent. Believe me, you don’t want to know the details. I still get headaches when I tried to figure her out.”
---
Lucky Charm Grove for the Abandoned and the Ferals

Foster had told him this was a position of responsibility. And Bill McCartney was all too happy to do more than follow orders. He liked the idea of seeing law applied in favor of the weakest members of society. And he loved to boss around to see law respected.
He hadn’t imagined finding himself knee-deep into a mess he wasn’t sure he could manage. He briefly considered calling Foster, but the man had taken some extra time for himself and his families. It had to be important, that man had made a point to be present in the shelter’s business, one way or the other… And that had brought Bill to occupy this position sooner than they had discussed.
A minute ago, Ramona, Martin’s personal secretary, had told him the owners of Zeke and Quincy Jones were here. Bill had considered sending for the cops, but luckily the Grove had its own private army. He had sent for a…fit escort. Should these guys give problems, they’d find out the shelter hired no sissies.
“Director,” Ramona said through the intercom. “The escort is here.”
“Send them in.” Martin had thought of everything: every room was a panic room. A wrong move, and no one could enter the office. Worst case, no one would leave. Bill had been informed about the booby traps, and he really hoped they didn’t go off…
The door opened. In came the visitors, escorted by two H/K9 teams: Natasha, Russian, former assassin, with her husky partner Diego, and former Delta Force Josh Mongrove with the Great Dane Toro. And both humans were already loaded for bear.
As for the visitors, they were a man and a woman. Short-cropped hair, his chestnut hers blond. Black eyes the man, green for the woman. Black suits over white shirts, neatly ironed just like their pants, and shiny black shoes that smelled like brand new. They weren’t trying to hide the bulge of the holsters under their arms.
Federals.
Bill met Feds a couple of times. He didn’t like them, no cop sane of mind liked those arrogant self-appointed masters of the world.
“I must say, we are jealous of your security, Mr. McCartney,” said the woman. “Mr. Foster should run for Senate. Who know, he could increase our budget.”
“To what I owe the displeasure?” Bill asked without hiding his feelings. And he had a very, very bad one at this moment. “ID, please.”
Man and woman flashed their badges. Bill raised his eyebrows. “Special Agents…George and Mildred Abercrombie?” He chuckled. “Now I know you’re for real: no criminal cartel would embarrass themselves with such names.” The documents, of course had been already scanned each time they entered a new room, but old habits die hard. “Please sit down,” the shelter’s Director said pointing at the chairs. The security teams stood where they were, behind the visitors, at the safest distance to intervene without allowing for maneuver room.
“Must they stay here?” George asked, sitting down.
“I guess that was rhetorical.”
“Fair enough,” Mildred said.
Bill sat down. “Now, let’s get to business. Before I decide to break you guys in chops to feed to my hearth, care to give me an explanation? Theoretically, you could just barge in and take my guests without even so much of a fake warrant. But you can’t because you don’t want to draw attention. And you know I will draw a lot of that, being still in contact with the local police. So?”
Man and woman looked at each other, nodding. Mildred said, “Those dogs are involved in a serious investigation the details of which are secreted, Mr.—“
“Call me Bill.” Ok, so it had rubbed off, alright?
“Bill. I am afraid there is a lot more than you think. The less you know, the less innocents will be involved.”
“And, by chance,” George added, putting his head inside his jacket—
The weapons were aimed at them. The dogs growled in warning.
George raised one hand while with the others produced a folded paper. “Er, as I was trying to say, we do have a warrant. And you are right we need to keep this under a low profile. No one needs to know. Keep that blogger, Simon, out of this.” He handed Bill the warrant. “And now, please, time is of the essence.”
The ex-cop examined the document. Unfortunately, he could tell a good one.
Question: should he call Martin and risk raising a storm? These Feds wouldn’t like it at all, he knew these kind of people… (Cower, mortals, before the mighty wrath of George & Mildred!)
“Is there anything funny?” George asked, hearing Bill snicker.
“N-no.” He put the warrant in a chest. “I was just wondering what kind of investigation can be so important to overstep ours. Police is still working to make head or tail of this case. I mean, why not cooperate instead of keeping us in the dark? The media already know about our fuzzy fiends, do you think they won’t raise question over their disappearance?”
Mildred nodded. “We hoped to meet Mr. Foster to discuss about that. We need him not to divulge any information. Their accomplices must believe they are kept here, under lock and key. And we know Mr. Foster can be very discreet.”
Bill rubbed his temples with his hand. “I should have waited another week before taking this job…” he took the phone
---
McCartney House

King already thought it was bad enough that Bailey had gone back to her family. Even the fact that those two brats had gone with her and Joline was of scarce consolation.
It was the very first time he felt something so…deep for a female canine. At first, the very idea had made him jittery, his past memories conflicting with his new, permanent status.
But it also felt so natural, and not fighting it had made it easier to be with her. And snuggle with her, and…
But even those pleasant memories couldn’t help him feeling better now, not in front of what he was seeing on the computer screen.
It was Lucky who had discovered it, while browsing the GODC’s blog, Barker the Pirate. It wasn’t much of a blog, it was rather a recipient for assorted gossip and suggestions about anything canine-related. It had never aspired to compete with Simon Says… It served as a place for e-small talk and Club billboard.
“Holey Balooney,” Lucky said, leaning over King’s left shoulder, Fox doing the same with the right one.
Fox’s fists were contracting, but it was more an automatic reflex. The last time he had been this upset it had been when Bino had played the catnip bomb prank to his unsuspecting friend to ‘welcome’ him into the Club.
Now Bino was at the Academy, and anyway he knew better than picking on King. Not if he liked his bones whole.
But today’s entry proved that his bad seeds had not only been planted, but they were growing.
A user signing as DaDawg! Had written, There is a lot of talking about traitorous dogs in our very police force, pets turned traitors, courtesy of PETA. Dogs with a mission to ‘set us free’ –free to starve, to get sick, to die alone, that is. Well, too bad the rumors are not including the very vanguard of this traitorous pack, the scout, the infiltrator par excellence.
You know this guy under the name of King…
The rest of the post was a ridiculous list of alleged ‘suspect’ coincidences, a fictitious reconstruction of King’s life, implying that he was actually Joel’s dog…
“Will it ever end?” King said, his shoulders slumping, shaking his head.
Fox rubbed him behind his ears. “It’s my fault, King. I am supposed to be the moderator, I should have checked it before—“
King looked at the number of hits at the end of the post. He felt sick. “Doesn’t matter. You couldn’t have expected something like this. It never happened, even when Bino was around. That dog is a pest, but he likes his facts straight.”
“So what do we do?” Lucky asked, feeling equally enraged. His best pals were Felix and Princess, and he knew what he’d do if someone slandered them...!
“We go to Zapruder’s,” Fox said with a grim expression.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Of course another great update. I like how much Fido likes Peanut's father. I wonder if Fido knows Buddy is Peanut's father...

Feds as part of an investigation. Why do they always come when there is a cover up? Spoil Sports...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

SUSPENSE!!!! I can't wait for the next update.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I can't wit for he next update.
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

whoever can is really rather the point or wants to wait already? :lol:
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

How did Sabrina recover her loss from Peanut's accident? Maybe magic just like why she's not covered in dragon slobber.

Poor King.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

I feel really sorry for king. I can't wait to see the "negotiations" they have with zap!
I WUV MAH KITTIES!