Paradigm Shift

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

This is my first Fanfic ever for anything. I expect some feedback people, be it positive or negative. I make no promises of an update schedule, but I'll try to post at least one part every week.

and now the legal stuff. You all know which characters belong to Rick. If I use a lesser known background character from HP!, I’ll be sure to make it clear they’re from the comic. All other characters are of my own invention. I will occasionally make mention of characters and plot elements and even Authors of other fan fics I read. I won’t get permission to mention a specific author, but I will get permission to mention elements of their work. And of course, I’ll link the works after my writing. now here goes.

Part 1
---------
It was a dark and stormy night outside. The black clouds were rolling across the sky, the darkness only broken by the occasional streak of lightning; the resulting thunder was like the roar of a mighty beast. The turbulent winds were making the flight of a certain invisible volcano, home to everyone’s favorite shape-shifting, red-eyed, dragon-winged forum moderator, a bit rough. Inside, the inhabitant was asleep, hanging upside down with his wings wrapped around him as a bat would do
The next second, a puff of smoke engulfed his sleeping form and he fell head first, not onto the floor of his lair, but the ground of an all too familiar cave.

“Come on, Wizard. Can’t you let me sleep a full night without causing me to injure myself?”

“But it’s so fun to see your reaction. No matter, I had a reason to bring you here this time. We have guests. You may know of them.”

As Brent looked up, he started to ask, “How would I know…” but he failed to finish the thought as he saw who was in the room with them.

Standing to the Wizard’s right was large, white, nine-tailed fox with red eyes and a large green dragon. To his left was a large blue griffin being closely watched by a three-headed dog.

“Wha? B-b-b…” was all he could say before the Wizard interrupted him.

“Me and Pete go way back. Remember the story I told you about the powerful being who gave humans the ability to use magic? That was him.”

“I should have noticed how similar your personalities were. So Housepets! is real?”

“Everything’s real. Inspiration is a glimpse into another universe. Even fan fiction is a glimpse into a variant world of the one that inspired the original work. Heck, even as we speak, there could be some random geek with no life other than college neglecting to study for a final exam to write about what we’re saying right now. He’ll think he’s being clever by breaking the fourth wall, but he’s just seeing exactly what’s happening here.”

“Wait a minute,” Brent exclaimed. “All fan fiction is real!? Even…”

“Yes, that’s real, too.”

Brent shuddered at the implications of this. “But how can people do that to animals?”

“Yes, yes, Whiteman house was a real tragedy.”

“But that universe did serve to produce an interesting campaign in our game,” Pete chuckled before Cerberus shot him a glare that would frighten a dragon (I mean the tough medieval kind, not just Spirit Dragon).

“Anyway, it seems one of Pete’s other students has been out ruining universes by directing the inhabitants towards self-destructive behavior. You know EmoPeanut’s work, right? He’s one of the few who continues to write when a universe goes bad. But what this guy is doing exceeds even that. Everyone dies where he gets involved.”

Great Kitsune continued explaining the situation. “We think he may be targeting the Housepets! universe next and we don’t want our game to be interrupted, so we need to send someone in who can use powerful magic without the aid of a celestial being. We pulled Pete out of Heaven’s jail so he could help us, and he suggested we ask The Wizard here.”

“Of course, I don’t really want to help, so I’m just going to send a few of my brightest pupils. So I’m sending you, one of your clones, and Jessica to handle things.”

At the mention of Jessica, she walked out in her witch outfit, her long, dark brown hair flowing out from under her hat, her tightly fitting, but still fully PG, robe ending at her knees. Brent forgot for a minute what was going on and was just glad to be going on a mission with his girlfriend.

“Awesome! Do I get to live with Miles and his pack, or will I be a feral wolf?”

“Why do you think I’d let you keep your wolf form? I’ll be posing as your owner. You’ll be posing as a pet dog for your entire stay. Jess and your clone will be cats.”

“Wait? I’m a dog and she’s a cat? Do you have ANY idea how they treat cat lovers in that universe?”

The Wizard smiled a mischievous smile. “Yes I do, and that’s why I’m doing it. Do you even know me at all?”

Brent just facepalmed.

Jess hugged her boyfriend and said “Relax. Don’t let what Bino thinks affect your behavior.” She ended with a slight giggle.

Brent sighed, resigned to the fact that The Wizard could make him do anything. “Do I at least get to be an awesome breed of dog?”

“You will be a toy poodle. Now let’s go.” With this, he snapped his fingers and they found themselves in a dark house. Outside, Brent could make out the shape of a moving truck.

Brent looked down, expecting to see the small body of the toy poodle The Wizard mentioned, but instead found himself in the body of a large, well built Anatolian Shepherd dog only slightly smaller than his wolf form. He could even beat Fido in a battle of the buff.

He looked to his left and saw a beautiful black cat, which looked similar to Sabrina, only with red eyes. And a bit more masculine.

He then heard his own voice say “Dude, you’re ogling the wrong cat. Turn around.”

Brent’s ears folded back, his tail went down, and he blushed a bit through his light brown fur as he realized his mistake and turned around. Before him stood another black cat, this time it was larger than a normal cat and had blue eyes.

“It seems I’m a Savannah cat. At least we’ll have a bit of a size advantage on Bino.” She chuckled at the thought of being able to frighten that closed-minded jerk.

“Well,” said The Wizard. He looked odd not dressed in his normal long, white fur-lined, purple robe and wizard hat. He was wearing a black T-shirt and blue Jeans.

He looked like a normal human. “Now that you’re acquainted with your new bodies, you’ll have to get used to your new names. Brent, you’ll be Drake.” A red collar suddenly appeared on Brent’s neck, the silver tag resembling a sleeping dragon.
Drake's tag.jpg
Drake's tag.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 60158 times
“Jess, I’m calling you Hex.” A blue collar formed around her neck with a round, black tag with a red shape, like a Pentagram but with six points instead of five.
hex's tag.jpg
hex's tag.jpg (7.87 KiB) Viewed 60158 times
The Wizard then turned to the unnamed clone and said “And you’ll be Gemini.” His collar was red and had tag shaped like the astrological symbol for Gemini.
Gemini's tag.jpg
Gemini's tag.jpg (3.48 KiB) Viewed 60158 times
“And for the purposes of being your owner, my name will be Theo Why-zard, spelled like Wizard. You’ll share my last name. But all my friends just call me Wizard. You can do the same if you don’t want to call me dad.” He chuckled at the thought of being a father to anyone. “Now go upstairs and get some sleep you three. It’ll be tiring work to help protect this universe. You’ll find an extra large dog bed and a cat bed in the first room on the left. I assume you two can share the dog bed,” he said, grinning at Drake and Hex. Drake blushed again, but Hex just hugged her boyfriend's new furry body.

Once in their new room, Drake walked to the dog bed. Figuring he’d get into character, he walked around in circles a few times before lying down. Hex then made her way to him and curled up in the space in front of him.

“Goodnight, Drake.” She said as she closed her eyes.

“Goodnight, Hex.” He put his arms around her waist and nuzzled her neck fur. She began to purr as they both happily drifted off to sleep.

On the other side of the room, Gemini was already in his bed, sad that he shared the same feelings as Drake, but was stuck as a mere copy. He wished he had a nice witch to share his pet bed with.
-----------------------------------
First off, I do not actually have a girlfriend, but the me in the universe I'm seeing does. Lucky jerk.

Next, Whiteman House can be found in Hosepets! The Series written by the much more talented than me Valerio.

And finally, EmoPeanut is author to the Shadow player series, parts 1 and 2.

It is not required that you read any of these (though I strongly encourage reading Valerio's work) but I need to give credit where credit is due.

Hope you enjoyed my first installment of the Random Fanfic Unnamed.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
TensaZangetsu

Re: A Random Fanfic Unnamed: by Brent

Post by TensaZangetsu »

I like this... A lot.
Let's see what bino does.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'll let you know when I figure it out. I haven't written a part with him yet. it's early morning and he sleeps late.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

Good.
I'll wait
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'll admit, this fic is very alternative by itself xD
But this only proves how inventive ideas you have, Brent.

I have a suggestion for you, if you don't mind. When you write dialogues, you should try to include more descriptions of by who they were said and in what way. It will help to stimulate reader's imagination a little more and the environment of story will extend.
I'm a bookworm!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Thank you for the feedback and I will try to make adjustments in my second update.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, this is different. Way to inject yourself into the Universe. I am sure you will make quite a splash! :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

yay, I got a reference! :D
This was surely most original, let's see where it leads...
Helmetzid

Post by Helmetzid »

This is good! I like how this whole fanfiction involves taking a buldozer to the fourth wall, and i see what you did at the beginning with the all fanfics are real thing*snickers*cant wait for more
Peanut has a Facebook!!!
It takes a REAL genius to do something truely stupid!-ME
Wanna play a game with me on steam? PM me
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

So I felt like updating again before a full week had passed. So here's another part of my fic. It is focusing a lot on people's thoughts. Cosmo is the dog seen here. And Tiberius is my name for Joey's weird friend that isn't Lester.

Part 2
-------
7AM

The next morning, on the other side of Babylon Gardens, a dark grey dog was opening his bright green eyes. He sat up in his bed and sleepily reached to his left to grab his dark green collar with the chain around it and the tag shaped like an infinity symbol hanging from it. After getting dressed, the dog, named Cosmo (his dad is an astronomer), went about his usual morning routine; He got up, brushed his teeth, and then headed to go downstairs. When he got to the middle of the stairs, he saw his sister staring out the window. She appeared lost in thought.

And lost in thought she was. And today, her thoughts were on the subject of romance. She was normally so shy that most people haven’t heard her say any more than a sentence. But every now and then she got the courage to pursue a relationship with one of the neighborhood dogs. She had dated Fox for a few months a couple years ago. She once tried to approach Fido when he first came back from the academy, but he was busy at the time. She had even briefly tried to date Bino in one of the times that he wasn’t with Sasha, but Cosmo had gotten over protective, saying that he wouldn’t let her be his rebound girl. He promised that one day she’d find a nice dog with a neck not so pencilly. So she stopped trying to pursue that relationship.

Now she was focused on a new boy. He was a tan-furred dog with orange eyes. The other dogs made fun of him for being named after a cat, but she didn’t care. She knew that beyond that name and his violent outbursts was a gentle heart. She just had to go introduce herself. Then they’d go on a few dates before falling madly in love. She just had to go over there and say three words.

While she was lost in this thought, Cosmo asked, “Hey, sis. What are you looking at?”

Her only response was the three words running through her head.

“Hi I’m Daisy!”

Cosmo facepawlmed. “You were thinking about another boy weren’t you? Who is it this time? Lester? Tiberius?” he asked with a slightly annoyed tone. He’d sat through and watched her multiple bad relationships for years. She had even spent her cash prize from the Milton ferrets’ contest to get a makeover and take some public speaking courses so she could actually start a relationship that would last.

Daisy shook herself out of her thoughts. “Oh, Good morning, Cos. It was.. uhh” She blushed a little through her black fur, and she rubbed the back of her neck with her paw. Then she quietly said “It was Tiger.”

She expected him to get overprotective again. Dating Tiger would be social suicide, much worse than dating Bino. But all he said was, “alright. I hope things work out for you this time,” as he smiled at her. She wagged her tail and smiled in return.

Inside his head, an otherworldly voice was talking to him. Aren’t you worried about her status in the neighborhood?

Shut up, Kitsune, he snapped in reply. I let her make her own decisions. I only stopped her from dating Bino because you came to me and said it would put the universe at risk.

It was true. The last universe that had Daisy and Bino dating had met an unpleasant end. She ended up going mad and using celestial magic to destroy anyone she saw as a threat. Eventually the entire universe was wiped clean when she lost control. Only celestial beings noticed, of course. The only outsider who could see that universe had stopped writing about it when it got too close to an R rating.

I’m just looking out for this universe. There was no guarantee that it would turn out that badly, but I had to be safe, The celestial fox explained.

Cosmo sighed before replying. I know. She just looked so sad when I stopped her. I don’t like making her sad. He looked at his sister with eyes that radiated with a longing for her happiness. I just hope Tiger doesn’t break her heart like Fox did.
---------------------------------------------
Over at the Arbelt house, Tiger was sitting on the step outside of the front door. He had woken up in the middle of the night from a nightmare where his family had left him. It was the same nightmare he’d had every night since the last of his dog friends had begun to shun him because of his name. He had gone to the kitchen for a small before breakfast snack to calm his nerves. He hugged his teddy bear, Poom, tightly. He wished that someone, anyone, outside of his home (preferably a dog) would just look past his name and be there to comfort him when he was upset. Sure, he had Marvin and Zach, but sometimes he felt that Marvin just felt sorry for him. And Zach always seemed to be afraid of him. He hugged Poom even tighter while anticipating the inevitable sound of that all too familiar cry that would soon come from the kitchen.

“TIIIGEEEER! WHO ATE ALL THE PIZZA!?”
---------------------------------------------
Back at the Wizard household, the new neighbors were just waking up themselves. Hex crawled out of the bed, stretching her back as she did. Drake sat up soon after and stretched his arms above his head, his muzzle opened wide in a yawn. The other bed in the room was already empty. Gemini must have already gone downstairs for breakfast. Drake could smell the bacon and eggs, but he was unsure whether the wizard would make them eat pet food. The two headed downstairs, hoping to not find bowls with their names on them on the floor.

They were happy to be met with two full plates of bacon and eggs waiting for them at the table. Gemini had already finished eating and was sitting, waiting patiently for Wizard to give him any information he’d need. Hex and Drake sat down at the seats saved for them and started to eat their food, Drake staying in character and devouring his share voraciously, Hex eating only slightly more slowly. Apparently, they were hungrier than they thought they were.

Wizard put down the newspaper he was reading and began to talk to his pets.

“Okay, you know most of the people you can talk to about who you really are. Tarot and Sabrina already know the whole situation. You’ll be going to their place as soon as you finish eating. Pete will tell King everything soon. Aside from that, Kitsune and Cerberus have both taken temporary avatars for the purposes of this mission. Kitsune actually took nine avatars. Cerberus took one for each head. You’ll be able to tell who they chose when the time is right.”

He took a sip from his coffee mug before continuing. “Now, I’m allowing you to eat human food while we’re alone because no one will see, but if you bring friends over, you’ll have to eat pet food. Don’t worry about needing shots; as far as anyone’s concerned, you’ve already gotten them. Clones can be so useful. No offense, Gemini. Finally, you’ll need to use the bathroom outside, Drake, to keep up appearances. Hex, Gemini, you’ll be using a litter box. Any questions?”

The three pets shook their heads in unison. “Then finish eating and get to Tarot’s place.”
------------------------------------

The other universe mentioned here is the one found in the PG-13 fic, A Story of Hearts and Stars by Kondog. He has no intention of completing the story because he feels too limited by the rating.

once again, I would appreciate feedback.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

And it keeps being interesting!
Go brent! Give us MOAR!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Very nicely done. Wow, so many avatars now...

Can't wait for the continuation! Hope you get to add a certain fic I have in mind.
My characters
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hmm... I like how you turned Kondog's situation into something comedic. Especially when you did this... like someone who looks on those fan fics from the outside :)

Also, I see you adore clones :)
I'm a bookworm!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

a Very good read... can any one say MadNess? HA HA Haaa!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Well It had reached the bottom of the first page of fan projects, and that shouldn't happen. I got distracted by holidays. At least I never promised an update schedule I couldn't keep. So now, allow me to present...

Part 3
-------
7:30 AM

Inside the Arbelt house was business as usual. Jerry was angry with Tiger, Marvin was trying to defend him, and Zach was in his room being ignored. He looked out the window, thinking about his life. Does he fit in with this family? Does anyone really care about him? Well, other than those woodland creatures worshipping him on the front lawn. He needed someone other than his followers to keep him company while Tiger was getting yelled at. He sighed as he once more heard a cry of “ALL HAIL THE OPENER OF WAYS.”
-----------------
On the street below, Drake, Hex, and Gemini were passing by this scene. “I knew this happened here, but it’s still weird to see it,” said the black Savannah cat.

But Drake was off in his own little world. He was looking around excitedly, his brown tail wagging furiously. He was actually in THE Babylon Gardens. He felt the sidewalk on his paw pads, the warmth of the sun shining down on his fur. He smelled the grass, the trees, and so many other pets, not knowing which scents belonged to his favorite characters. And they were all headed to talk to Tarot and Sabrina, to discuss some specifics of the mission. He didn’t want to come here at first, and he was planning to focus on the task at hand completely, just as he always does, but his inner fanboy had gotten the best of him. He didn’t even notice he was about to run into another dog.

Drake’s size made it so he barely even noticed knocking the now angry corgi on his butt. “HEY, WATCH WHERE YOU’RE GOING YOU BIG LUG!!!” he said from the ground.

Drake shook himself from his flurried thoughts and looked down. He reached down his paw to help him up and smiled. “Sorry about that King.”

King’s face looked suspicious. “How’d you know my name?”

He knows a lot, King. Even that you were human, said a voice inside King’s head.

King found himself inside a representation of his own mind, standing face to face with the griffin that caused all of his problems (no, I don’t mean Rick).

"What are you doing back here, you overgrown parrot!? I thought you had to leave me alone!" King exclaimed, with a mix of anger, confusion, annoyance, and a light dusting of fear.

"The rules of our game have been temporarily repealed so we can deal with a threat to your universe. You are now my avatar until the threat is dealt with."
He smiled as he said this, which didn’t serve to make King any less worried.

“NO WAY! I’m not about to let you use me for your own selfish purposes.”

“Relax. My Ex is going to be keeping an eye on you to make sure I don’t do anything bad. And Hell hath no fury like a women scorned. Not since she got promoted to Heaven. Anyway, these pets are actually humans… well, two humans and a magical clone… from a universe where there’s a web comic about Babylon Gardens. You’re VERY popular over there,” the griffin said smugly.

“Oh great. So now I have to deal with extra-dimensional fanboys?” It was already hard enough dealing with his new

Actually, all of us prefer other characters, Drake interjected. But I do know at least one guy who would do pretty much anything to trade places with me right now.

King got startled at the sound of another voice in his head.

“Sorry,” said Pete. “Did I forget to tell you I put us on a conference call?”

The corgi shook his head to bring himself back to the real world and stood up. All he said was “Whatever,” before continuing on his way to Fox’s house.

“Later, King,” Drake shouted after him, waving. The three then continued on their way.

“Stupid other-worldly beings always messing with my head,” He mumbled as the other pets faded behind him. He was tired of being yanked around. Not to mention the fact that he was still confused over his place in this world. He was a human. He thought like a human and had human memories. But recently, he had found himself growing closer and closer to a dog he had met on his first day here; A dog he had helped try to kidnap and release into the wild while he still had five fingers on each hand. Fox had been a greater friend to him in his time as a dog than anyone had been while he was human. Even more confusing was the fact that he had fallen in love at first sight with Fox’s cousin Bailey. Too bad she was all the way in Kansas.

King’s thoughts were interrupted when Fox called out to him from his position under a nearby tree. He was leaning against the trunk of the tree and waving his paw, a book sitting in his lap.

“Hey, King,” he called. “Are you doing anything today? I wanted to hang out.”

“No, I was just going to see you,” King exclaimed happily, having forgotten about his situation for the time being.
-------------------------
After a while of walking, the Wizard pets reached their destination. It looked like a normal sized house, but they all knew it was much bigger on the inside. It was like a TARDIS without the time traveling capabilities or the charming Time Lord. Drake went to knock on the door, but gasped in surprise when it swung open to reveal the familiar gold Pomeranian.

“I’ve been expecting you. Come right in.” Tarot gestured for her guests to enter.

“You know, I should have seen that coming,” said Drake, letting out the breath he had been holding.

The inside of the house wasn’t unlike anything they’d ever seen, but they’d seen a lot in their time with the Wizard. The room they were in had a high ceiling, and on the ground were a series of magical symbols. There was a table in the middle of the room surrounded by pillows. On the table sat a chessboard with the pieces unmoved (presumably intended for pre-cognitive chess), a deck of tarot cards, a stack of business cards with “Tarot” written on them (Tarot cards), and a few cups of tea. Sitting on a pillow on the opposite side of the table was…

“PEANUT!” Drake exclaimed as he jumped over the table and glomped the surprised dog. He began to lick the face of his favorite resident of his new home while wagging his tail.

GAK!!! Hello. Do I know you?” he asked giggling.

Peanut’s question brought Drake out of his current attack of fanboy-itis. “Oh, uhh… Tarot’s told us so much about you and I’m glad we finally get to meet,” he bluffed. He was lucky he wasn’t a horrible liar and that Peanut wasn’t always the sharpest tool in the shed. He stood up to let Peanut off the ground and walked back to the other side of the room with the rest of his team.

“Peanut, these are some friends of mine.” Tarot explained. “They just moved in to the neighborhood.”

This time it was Peanut who was wagging his tail. “Do they have powers like you do?” he looked curiously at the other three.

“Actually, we do have some,” answered Hex. “But we can’t show you all of them just yet. Drake and Gemini can do a few parlor tricks, though.”

“Ooh. Like what?” said the excited mutt before he was startled by a hand on his shoulder.

“Teleportation, for one.” Drake said from behind Peanut.

“Cool. What else?” Peanut asked with anticipation.

“Some simple sleight of hand with actual magic,” said Gemini, holding Peanut’s collar.

Peanut felt his neck to find that he was now advanced naked.

“Wow, I didn’t even feel that. No offense Tarot, but these guys are way better than you. Or at least they’re more entertaining about it.”

“I know. They aren’t limited by the whims of the spirits like I am. Now I have to talk to them in private for a little while. Could you wait outside for a moment?”

Peanut quickly obliged and opened the door to step out.

“Hey Mutt, don’t you want your collar back?” Gemini tried to ask, but Peanut had already gone outside to play in the yard.
-----------------------
I don't believe this update referenced any fan fics, so no credits.
as always, please let me know of any mistakes I missed while proofreading at 4:30 AM. ^_^
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The fanboy is strong in you, young padawan. :ugeek:

I foresee many situations in which you burst into joy and play hero in front of your favorites. Should be awesome. :lol:
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

King + fanboys + magic = expectactions of awesomeness!

Great update! :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Let's keep this fic rolling. Lack of certain websites today gave me the motivation to finish this segment. I now have to start my next segment completely from scratch. Now, I present:

Part 4
----------
7:50 AM
Over at the Milton mansion, there wasn’t much of interest going on. There were some statues being broken by Rock in a sock, Keene was floating in a pool full of Jello (today's flavor is cherry), Pit sat in a hot tub filled with white chocolate, Jeeves was inside searching for the fire extinguisher and some duct tape… the usual.

Lana calmly watched from atop the staircase up to the rambunctorium, where Simon was spending his morning, as her brothers performed their usual morning rituals. She would have been doing hers, but their pneumatic tube system had recently been completely destroyed in another sky-yacht accident. They really should have gotten their pilot, Mr. Amori, to fly it instead of letting Keene do it. Especially with Keene’s orange soda problem.

As she watched Mr. Steward trying to explain to the angry mob why it was in their best interest to tear down their fences to turn their yards into part of the world’s largest Slip ’N Slide, she yawned and realized that she needed more excitement in her life. She walked inside, past the thylacine enclosure, beyond the leopluradon tank, and up the stairs to the front door. She opened it to look out upon the rest of Babylon Gardens. Today, to get out of her rut, she was going to go down there (not that their mansion’s on a hill, but the front door was moved to the roof so they could go down a slide whenever they left the house) and do something new.
---------------
Back at Tarot’s place, the gold Pomeranian was talking to the three newcomers about their job in this universe.

“Now, you can only use your full powers as a last resort. If you see anyone acting strange, try to talk them back to their normal selves.”

“But If they’re attacking someone, don’t hesitate to use whatever magic you need to stop them,” added Sabrina, who had gotten there about a minute after Peanut went streaking.

“We’ve got it. Only work to restore normalcy to the Gardens,” said Gemini. “Can we go now? I’m getting sick of hanging around these lovebirds.” He pointed towards Drake, who was holding the Black cat that was sitting in his lap.

“You may go perform your duties,” Tarot responded.

“I’ll go introduce Hex to the neighborhood cats,” Sabrina chimed in joyfully. “Drake, you can go with Peanut to the GODC meeting that starts soon. Gemini…" She paused as she thought for a few seconds. "I guess you can come meet the cats with us, but there may be some girl talk going on.”

“I think I’ll just wander the neighborhood. Do some snooping, see if anything strikes me as weird,” the cat replied quickly, not wanting to be around gossip.

The three pets exited and went their separate ways. Drake, keeping his composure this time, walked over to Peanut, who had retrieved his collar some time ago.

He offered his paw, saying, “I don’t think I ever properly introduced myself. I’m Drake Wizard. We just moved in last night. As I’ve already said, Tarot’s told me so much about you I feel like we’ve already met.”

Peanut took Drake’s paw in turn, shaking it. “I guess I don’t really need to introduce myself if you already know so much. Funny that she never mentioned having awesome magicians as friends, but I guess that seems normal when compared with a dragon.”

“Yeah. She keeps some weird company, but you get used to this magic stuff eventually,” the Anatolian Shepherd grinned. “So, I hear this neighborhood has a club for just dogs. It seems like a good way to meet some new friends.”

“Oh yeah, the meeting starts soon. I should probably warn you, Bino can be a little… angry.” He replied while starting to walk towards the meeting place.

“Tarot’s told me about Bino, too. She basically briefed me on the whole neighborhood before we moved. If Bino gives me trouble, I’ll just have to mess with him a bit.” Drake’s muzzle curled into a mischievous smile big enough to rival Max’s.
---------------
Speaking of Max, he was the first cat that Hex and Sabrina came across. He was hanging with a few of the Bigglesworth cats.

“I know that grin, Max. You’re planning a prank. And it looks like a good one judging from the number of accomplices,” Sabrina called out to get his attention.

Max’s ears twitched a bit when he heard her voice. “You’re not going to tell on me are you?” he asked, still grinning as he turned around. He then noticed Hex. “Hello, I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Max, prankster extraordinaire. These are my accomplices, Mr. Bigglesworth.”

“It’s nice to meet you all. I’m Hex Wizard. I just moved in last night. I hope you weren’t planning to prank the new neighbors,” she smiled.

“Nonsense. I didn’t know you had moved in until just now, and my best work requires at least 24 hours’ notice.” He waved his paw in a dismissive manner at the implication that he would ever consider rushing a prank.

Hex then noticed something within the group of Bigglesworths. It was only a split second, but their eyes seemed become red, and they each sported a grin that she recognized instantly.

Kitsune, I see you’ve taken a few doppelgangers for some of your avatars. She thought towards the omniscient yet playful being.

Actually, I took them as most of my avatars. Only one non-Bigglesworth in my whole pack.

and you’re hanging out with Max because?

I like pranks. He’d have been grinning if he weren’t trying to keep his disguise. Don’t worry, I’ve still got over half of my avatars watching the rest of the gardens.

“So, let’s leave these tricksters to their business. I want to introduce you to Grape next.” Sabrina said as she began to lead hex towards the Sandwich home, but something more interesting was happening over at the Arbelt house, and Gemini was watching quietly from the bushes.
---------------
The forest animals worshipping Zach had gone away for a short time, and Jerry had finished scolding Tiger for his eating problems. The somewhat unstable dog was outside his house again, talking to Poom. He was beginning to cry a little when he noticed he was being watched.

He spun around, hoping it wasn’t Bino come to torment him again. “WHAT DO YOU WANT!?” he yelled at the dog behind him.

The only response was, “Hi I’m Daisy.”

“Well, are you here to make fun of me like everyone else? ‘Oh look at Tiger, hanging out with cats again. I bet he’s going to go do catnip and other cat things. I’d like to hear him purr OH NO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING, PLEASE DON’T KILL ME TIGER, I WAS JOKING AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!! ’” He paused a moment after this scene had ended. “That one kinda got away from me.”

“Actually, I think it’s kind of nice that you hang out with cats all day. I spend a lot of time with Raccoons.” The Black Lab giggled as she said this.

“Oh, you’re Cosmo’s sister, aren't you? The one who dated Fox for a while? Those are two of the only dogs that don’t make fun of me.” His ears folded back and he clicked the tips of his index fingers together. “Please don’t tell Cosmo I yelled at you. I don’t need another enemy.”

“My lips are sealed if you agree to take me to Heathcliff’s tonight,” She responded flirtatiously.

“Wait, are you asking me on a date? Aren’t you afraid of being called a cat lover?” he asked, unable to believe any dog in this neighborhood would want to date him.

“I think you’re cute. I’d even date real cats if It weren’t so taboo. So, tonight at eight?”

“yeah, sure. I’ll be there.” He stood in place for at least 5 minutes after she walked away, blinking in disbelief.

That’s at least when Gemini moved on to observe more of the neighborhood, taking note of this interesting turn of events to tell Drake and Hex later. everyone gets a girl but the clone. he thought.
--------------
Meanwhile, in undisclosed location, a malevolent force was watching over the entire timeline of this universe (being sure to not look ahead so as to avoid spoilers.)

“This universe looks very promising, I’ll so enjoy ending it,” the force said in a voice that seemed neither male nor female, and had no indication of age. It laughed a maniacal laugh before it stopped suddenly.

“You there. Stop writing about me.” And that’s when my computer blew up and I ended this segment.
-------------------

No credits in this one, all either Rick or Me.

Now's the time when you tell me if I messed up so I can fix it, or praise my glorious work.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

a "NICE" Update... let's see how it all gos wrong~ HA HA Haaa!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I love the ending! You are a great writer, and I look forward to reading your next story.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
valerio

Post by valerio »

awesome ficcie is awesome! :D
Karl

Post by Karl »

Brent, you're clearly making improvements. You did work on descriptions of actions and my imagination about situation works better now.

But I also see from your style that writing is still something you explore. So all I can suggest you to keep writing to gain experience. And after some time, try to read your fic from beginning to present update and you'll see how much you improved :) Work, work, work.
I'm a bookworm!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

And now for one with a bit of a soundtrack at the end. May I present:

Part 5
------------
8 AM

In the headquarters of the Good Ol’ Dogs Club, Bino was preparing to call today’s meeting to order. He had some very important news to go over. As he stepped up to the podium, he scanned the audience to see who was in attendance today. They were all talking amongst themselves about various dog things. Almost everyone he wanted to be there was, and then some. But to his disappointment, Fox was absent at this meeting.

“Probably out playing around with that King jerk. Who needs him anyway?” he mumbled under his breath, the jealousy clear in his voice.

Bino cleared his throat before calling out, “The Good Ol’ Dog’s club is called to order.

The crowd went silent to listen to see if what Bino had to say was of any import to themselves.

“We have one piece of important business to cover today. Namely, we seem to have an addition to our neighborhood. There was a moving truck spotted outside of that old haunted house late last night, and we know nothing about who’s moving in. We should ask our parents if they know anything about them, and set up spies to tell us what kind of pets they have and what kind of people they are.”

“Doesn’t that seem like a round-about way to learn about new neighbors?” asked a voice in the crowd.

“Okay, who thinks they have a better plan than me. I’m all ears for whatever brilliant Ideas you have,” Bino responded, upset that his authority was being challenged. He scanned the room to see who the jerk was. His eyes landed on a large dog he’d never seen before.

“It seems you could just ask me anything you need to know seeing as I’m right here,” Drake replied with a smug smile.

Bino facepawlmed then put on his best welcoming leader façade. He doesn’t always use it with new members, but this one wasn’t trying to steal his best friend and his position as leader.

“Well, Hello. Welcome to the Good Ol’ Dogs Club. I’m the leader, Bino. As a member, you are encouraged to show up for every meeting, and you are allowed to attend and participate in all club functions, including the talent show we hold every so often. We have only one rule, and that is: no cats allowed. Now, I have a few questions to ask you. First, are you a cat lover?” He eyed the new arrival suspiciously.

“I wouldn’t say that,” Drake replied, a bit nervously.

“Then why do you smell so much like cat?”

“It’s hard not to when you live with two of them.”

“Can you tell us about where you come from? Who’s your owner? What does he do?”

“Well, Our owner is named Theo Wizard, and he does a little of everything. Because of his skills, he prefers to go by “The Wizard.” We moved here from Virginia.” Drake was getting annoyed with all these questions.

“That’s all I really need you to tell me, anything else can be learned through the mandatory butt sniff. Of course, as a show of good faith, you’re allowed to sniff mine as well.” Bino began walking towards Drake, who simply sighed, having known this would probably have to happen sooner or later.

He just went with it, staying in his role for the good of the universe.

Bino smelled something he couldn’t place. He had smelled it a few times before; On Tarot, on Cosmo, but worst of all, on King. But, while this angered him, he was mature enough to admit that you can’t judge someone on a shared scent. It’s not like it’s a name or anything.

“Everything checks out here. Now I should probably ask you for your name,” he said, offering his paw to the new recruit.

“I’m Drake,” he replied as he shook the offered paw.

“Challenge my authority again, and I’ll kick your butt out of here,” he said quietly, staring into Drake’s red-eyes in an attempt to intimidate him.

“Just try it, we’ll see how well you do,” was the reply, as those red eyes stared right back into Bino’s green ones with the same intent.

Now we leave the beginnings of this “friendly” rivalry and move over to something completely different.
------------------------
Hex and Sabrina reached the Sandwich house a few minutes after leaving Max. Sabrina walked Hex over to Grape’s window, which was open as always. Inside, the lavender cat could be seen writing in a notebook.

“Writing more Pridelands fan fiction, I see,” said the Sabrina with a smile.

Grape blushed and quickly closed the notebook, turning around to glare at Sabrina. However, she was caught off guard to see Hex there too.

“Oh, uh, I don’t think we’ve met before. I’m Grape.” She walked to the window and offered her paw.

“Hex. My family and I just moved into the neighborhood.” She shook Grape’s hand, being sure to not go all fan girl on her. “So, you’re a Pridelands fan, huh? I never got the chance to read the series myself, but I hear it’s really good. Almost as if it were actually a cat writing it,” She kept a straight face while poking at Grape’s little secret.

“Yeah, almost like that,” was her reply. Her poker face wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty dang good. “You should really read it as soon as you can. It’s arguably the best series written in the past decade.”

“If I can borrow your copies, I’ll start reading them tonight.” She was actually excited that she’d get to see why all the cats and a few of the dogs in this universe loved this series so much.

“I actually have two copies of each, hold on.” She went to her closet and pulled out a bag. “I bought these when Peanut became a fan of the series. He’s a great guy, but he can never keep his books in good condition, so I won’t let him read my copies,” she said as she handed the bag to Hex.

The savannah cat took the bag. “It’s nice to meet you Grape. Thanks for the books. I’ll get them back as soon as possible. So, who do we get to meet next?”

“I suppose Fiddler and Keys are the next stop,” said Sabrina after thinking for a little. “They should be practicing around this time; we can catch them in the middle of a song.”

“Hey, can I come too?” Grape asked. “I always love hearing them play. It helps me brainstorm ideas for my writing.”

“Sure, the more the merrier,” responded Hex joyfully.
--------------
Over in the park, a Corgi and a Husky were playing with a squeaky bone, both tugging at it furiously and growling. After a little while, the symphony of growls and squeaks subsided, and the two dogs were lying next to each other, panting.

“I love playing with you, Fox. It always takes my mind off of my problems,” said the Corgi, ending the sentence sounding a little less happy than he started it.

“What kind of problems, King,” asked the Husky, looking at his friend with a curious and concerned look.

Being a game piece in a cosmic Tabletop RPG who used to be human who is now best friends with the dog he helped try to dognap when he was, he thought to himself before responding.

“Oh, you know. the usual. Bino, the Cubs, my lack of friends, other various things that I’m not exactly prepared to tell you,” was the answer he actually gave.

“Just let me know whenever you’re ready to talk about those other problems, and I’ll be here to listen and talk you through them.” He put his paw onto King’s shoulder.

“I know. Have I ever told you how much you mean to me?”
“Plenty of times, but it’s always nice to hear it again,” Fox laughed.

“You’re the best friend I’ve had for as long as I can remember. You make me happy when life gets me down. I have no idea what I’d do without you. I’d probably just stay inside and sleep all day. You make me a better dog than I’d ever be on my own,” he said solemnly.

Fox hugged King tightly, resting his chin on top of his head. “And you give me someone to hang around other than Bino. I sometimes think that without you, I’d turn into a jerk like him… like I used to be. You keep me as a good dog when I’m surrounded by jerks.”

From a nearby bush, the song Guy Love from Scrubs began quietly playing when King was finishing his confession of guy love to Fox, and it suddenly got much louder at the first chorus, right as Fox finished his statement. The two dogs looked over towards the sound. They walked over to investigate, and there they found Gemini holding his iPod and giggling.
------------------------

There we have it. I couldn't wait to get to that last part when I thought of that song as the perfect way to explain the Bromance between King and fox.

Yes, the haunted house mentioned is the same one from Valerio's fic (and the Scaredy Cats arc in the comic), but that backstory didn't happen in this universe, so it's just a creepy old house, not really haunted.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

*applaudes*
ben fatto, sir! Really a lovely piece and fine quotes! :D
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

Guy Love! HA HA Haaa! That made me smile.... DON'T DO IT AGAIN!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Next Update HO!!! Now with more music. And more original characters. So now I present:

Part 6
----------
“Can we help you?” asked Fox to the giggling cat. “Why were you spying on us?”

“Oh, that’s just how I get to know new neighbors. It’s a bit of a quirk, and fairly creepy, but it’s just the way I am,” Gemini responded, catching his breath as he stopped giggling. “I’m Gemini. My family and I just moved in last night, and I’m going around, getting to know the neighborhood. And sorry, I just couldn’t resist the ‘Guy Love’ thing.”

“Well, it’s not okay to follow other pets around and listen into their conversations,” said the irate corgi.

From another nearby bush, a voice said, “We thought it was pretty funny.” Suddenly, three wolf cubs exploded out of the bush and tackled King.

“GAH!!!” screamed King in surprise. He was never ready for one of their surprise games of hunting.

“We got bored at home, so we decided to play with you,” said Rockstar Hawk from his new corgi throne.

“Oh hey, you aren’t scared to see wolves?” asked Darth Vader Sanchez to the black cat. Pets usually freak out when they see a bunch of wolves tackle another pet.

“I was actually warned of your presence before moving. I’m friends with Tarot,” was the explanation he gave.

“She’s that psychic one, right?” asked Deathaxe.

“Yeah, that’s her.”

GET OFF OF ME!!!” yelled King, while in the celestial plane, Pete was yelling the same thing to Cerberus, but in decidedly less PG terms.

“We like these avatars. We get to attack you without you even giving us a good reason,” said the middle of the dog’s three heads.

“Well, could you get off of me you tri-polar *****,” he growled under his breath.

Watch what you say, or we’ll break your wings again, you overgrown parrot,” was the reply from her right head, snarling and staring at Pete with killing intent.

“I like you better when the middle head takes over all three,” he sighed.

The left head chimed in, sounding unsure, “um, that’s only when we’re really happy.” She then stood up to let Pete get back on his feet. “sorry.

“Just don’t get us too mad or Righty takes over completely. We can’t guarantee we won’t rip your wings off if that happens.” The middle head smiled as the right one bared her fangs.
---
A little ways away, back in the mortal plane, Sabrina, Grape, and Hex were walking towards an alley. As they got closer, they heard the sounds of an accordion and a few guitars.

The music came from a group of cats, a few on guitar and one on percussion, with Fiddler and Keys sitting at the head of the group, Keys on accordion. Keys began singing the first part of the duet, with Fiddler following soon after on the second part, both of them singing in a manner that mesmerized the spectators.

I don’t like walking around this old and empty house.
So hold my hand I’ll walk with you my dear.
The stairs creak as I sleep it’s keeping me awake.
It’s the house telling you to close your eyes.
and some days I can’t even trust myself.
It’s killing me to see you this way.

'Cause though the truth may vary this
ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.
Hey.
Hey.
Hey.

there’s an old voice in my head that’s holding me back.
Tell her that I miss our little talks.
Soon it will be over and buried with our past.
We used to play outside when we were young and full of life and full of love.
Some days I think that I'm wrong when I am right.
Your mind is playing tricks on you my dear.

'Cause though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.
Hey.

So listen to the word I say. Hey.
Screams all sound the same. Hey.
Though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.

Keys broke into a short accordion solo at this point.

You’re gone, gone, gone away, I watched you disappear.
All that’s left is the ghost of you.
Now we’re torn, torn, torn apart, there’s nothing we can do.
Just let me go we’ll meet again soon.
Now wait, wait, wait for me; please hang around.
I’ll see you when I fall asleep.

Though the truth may vary, this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.

Though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.

As the cats finished their song, the three watching applauded.

“Great as always, guys,” said Sabrina.

“It wasn’t all that great. He could have done better,” was Keys’ reply.

“Me? I wasn’t the one messing up on the accordion. You’re dragging us…”

“Could you two skip to the part where you make up? We have a new neighbor and I was trying to introduce her to all of the neighborhood cats,” Sabrina interrupted.

“Hey, you can’t rush the artistic process. We’ll make up when we’re good and ready,” Fiddler said indignantly.

“But I suppose we can put off the arguing for a bit,” Keys added. She turned to the new arrival. “I’m Keys and this is Fiddler. The one on percussion over there is named Cadence, and the three on guitar are Fender, Gibson, and Suzuki.”

As they were introduced, each one made a slight gesture indicating that they were the one being introduced. Cadence was a Calico with blue eyes. Fender and Gibson appeared to be twins; both of them had dark brown fur and eyes of the same dark brown. Suzuki was another black-furred female, with dark green eyes.

“Suzuki and the twins play with us when we need any stringed instruments other than fiddle,” Keys explained, “And Cadence joins us when we need percussion ever since we decided to stop using my keyboards for it.”

“Now if you excuse us,” Fiddler cut in, “we have a gig at Heathcliff’s tonight, and we need to practice. But feel free to keep listening, we need to know when our work is passable to the untrained ear.”

The trio listened to their entire set list, but that would be too time-consuming for this fic, so let’s go somewhere else.
--------------------
8:30 AM

Back at the GODC meeting, Drake was having a good time meeting and socializing with the other dogs in the neighborhood. However, he noticed one was standing in the corner just staring at him. Drake walked over to talk to him.

“Hey. You’re Joey, right? Why aren’t you socializing? And more importantly, why are you staring at me?”

The blue-eyed dog got a little flustered, but eventually he said, “This may sound a bit weird, but… I think I’ve seen your housemates before.”

Drake was a bit taken aback, but was able to stay calm and ask, “Where would you have seen them before?”

“Well, that’s the weird part. I saw them earlier when you bumped into King, and... They look exactly like characters in a web comic I read.” Joey laughed a bit as he said this, rubbing the back of his neck with his paw.
-------------
Over at the [insert Bino’s last name] house, Jeff was looking through his daily newspaper, looking at the help wanted section for the next job in his long line of relatively short-lived careers. It shouldn’t be this hard for a college graduate to find work, no matter how useless the degree. As he was looking, though, an ad caught his eye. The words read:

Need help? Need Advice? Call Theo “The Wizard” Wizard. He can help.
House damaged? Pets acting strange? General problems in life? He’s your guy.

Under these words was a local phone number and a picture of a good looking, twenty-something man in jeans and a black T-shirt.

Jeff thought for a minute before thinking, what have I got to lose? I’ll see if he can help me get a stable job. He picked up the phone and dialed the number.
-----------------
And there you have it. things go faster when I type out the lyrics to a song.
The idea of color coding the singing part borrowed from Uncensored souls by theblackcateyes. go read that if you like the thought of HP! characters singing.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

another very funny one! Keep 'em coming! :D
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

Wizerd? I never liked Magic... it never ends well... this is going to hurt Bino alot huh?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hey, great updates! I am loving this, Mr. Author!

Can't wait to see how much more fun you can make this! :lol:
My characters
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Interesting but who would be so cruel enough to attempt to destroy a bright world like this? (looks over shoulder) Oh.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

and Here is:

Part 7
------------
8:30 AM
At the Arbelt house, Marvin was sitting in his room, reading a book, when he heard a knock.

“Come in,” He said without looking up. He was busy rereading the Pridelands series.

Tiger opened the door and entered the room. “Marvin. I… I just got asked on a date.”

Marvin immediately put down his book because, no matter how interesting and amazing the stories of the Pridelands were, Tiger getting a date was infinitely more interesting.

“Who asked you?” He was thinking of anyone who it could have been, but considering how all of the dogs saw him, and most of the cats wouldn’t go for him, it was a very short list. “Was it Fester? Because sometimes he does stupid things to sell catnip.”

“No no, it was… why is asking me out a stupid thing? Are you calling me undateable?” He looked a bit sad at the fact that Marvin may see him as anything but a good dog.

“Well first of all, you aren’t a cat lover, and second, neither you nor Fester is gay… at least, I don’t think you are.” He looked at his housemate with a questioning glance.

“WHAT!? NO!!” Tiger exclaimed at the surprise implication. “Back on track, it was Daisy. We’re going to Heathcliff’s tomorrow night, and I thought you and Zach could give me some dating advice. Where is he, anyway?”

“I have no idea, he went out earlier when dad was yelling at you. But it’s not like he has any dating experience. I don’t have much more, but I’ll try to help as much as I can.”

“Thanks. I just want to know how to make this go well. She’s the first dog to treat me like the dog I am,” he said as he smiled.
------------------
Outside, Zach was sitting by a tree in his front yard, writing in his diary.

Dear diary,
I didn’t write an entry for yesterday, so I’ll write two today. Not much at all happened yesterday, but this morning, Tiger ate all the pizza again and got yelled at. He didn’t seem to notice me sitting here while he was out here almost crying, nor did he notice the strange black cat sitting in the bushes.
Before he was able to actually start crying, though, Daisy came and asked him out on a date. Maybe a girlfriend will help stabilize him emotionally.

As for me, I still am barely noticed by anyone other than those ferals who worship me. It’s starting to get depress…

“What are you writing?” came a voice from behind him. The rabbit jumped a bit before turning around to see none other than one of the ferrets who own this neighborhood.

“Oh, hi, Lana. Just writing in my diary. Shouldn’t you be off doing insane, reckless, rich ferret things with your brothers?” he asked the female curiously.

“Sometimes a girl needs a break from spending insane amounts of money to act on her every whim, you know?” she said nonchalantly.

“I really don’t,” was Zach’s reply, still puzzled as to why she was here.

“I needed a change of scenery. I love my brothers, but I needed to get away from them. Plus we broke our pneumatic tubes, so I didn’t have much to do. So, is there anything you find interesting out here in the neighborhood?” She asked, smiling.

“Well, I have no idea what you’d find interesting,” he said before thinking about the neighborhood. “Let’s see. There’s this restaurant called Heathcliff’s but that’s mostly for cats and dogs. There’s a park. There’s a forest with a bunch of animals who worship me, there’s…”

“What was that? They worship you?” She looked more perplexed than Zach did earlier, but also excited.

“They seem to see me as some sort of deity ever since I pressed a button and opened the door to some ancient temple,” he explained, blushing. “They call me the opener of ways.”

“OMG, I wanna see this temple. I’ll feel like some sort of adventurer.” She was jumping with excitement. “Maybe we’ll find some treasure!”

“Well, it’s kind of a long walk. I go there sometimes when I want to be alone.”

“I’m willing to walk.”

“I… guess I can take you there. Follow me. You may even get to meet my friend. He’s a bit weird though. He Speaks in Limericks.”

With this, he began leading her to the cave from whence Pete came.
--------------
In another Yard, Joey had brought Drake to his doghouse to show him the web comic he mentioned at the clubhouse. Since the doghouse wasn’t that big, he pulled out his laptop to plug it into the outdoor outlet on the house.

When he pulled out the computer, a small grey mouse came with it. “Welcome back, Joey. How was the meeting?”

“Thanks Squeak. It was about the same as usual. I sat along the wall staring at our new neighbor because his housemates look just like characters from my favorite web comic. This is Drake Wizard, by the way,” he said pointing at Drake, who waved at the mouse.
“Nice to meet you, Drake,” said the mouse, whose voice was more audible than Drake would have expected.

Joey plugged in the laptop and began booting it up as he took a seat along the House’s wall.

“So, what did you say this web comic was, again?” Drake asked.

“It’s called ‘Paradigm Shift’,” Joey exclaimed excitedly, almost acting like Lester when he talked about the American adaptation of Ninja Princess. “It’s about a human who meets a wizard and his many witch underlings, and becomes a magical shape-shifter. Eventually he starts dating one of the witches, who can turn into a cat, and he starts living in an invisible flying volcano and saving the universe from dark forces. It’s odd; it just went on hiatus as the wizard pulled him into his cave to give him a new mission.”

Drake was seriously surprised that Joey was giving a synopsis of his life. “So, who writes this web comic?”

“It’s actually written by a pet. He goes by the pen name Rick Griffin.”

Okay, this was too much. He could somewhat handle starring in a web comic in another universe, but for it to be written under the same pseudonym as the web comic from his universe? This had to be either Pete or the Wizard at work.

“Anyway, here it is.” Joey turned the laptop so Drake could see it. “I love the main character. Brett is so awesome.”

Couldn’t they have at least gotten my name right? he thought.

Then the Wizard’s voice came into his head.

It appears you’ve found one of your fans from this universe. I can’t take credit for this, and neither can Pete. Inspiration works in mysterious ways. Just enjoy the fame if he ever sees you using your powers. Be warned, Pete tells me Lester has a slight crush on Hex, so you might want to claim her as your own before he makes a move.

I just hope no one ships me with you, that would just be awkward.

agreed. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a client coming over soon, so I’ve got to go.
---------------------------
Elsewhere, Grape, Sabrina, and Hex were walking with fender, Gibson, Suzuki, and Cadence after having left Fiddler and Keys to work out their relationship.

“So, Fender, Gibson, are you two seeing anyone?” Hex asked.

“Back off, Fender’s mine,” said Suzuki, glaring.

“I’m not interested, I already have a boyfriend. I was just curious,” Hex replied, trying to calm her down.

“Well, to answer the question, yes. Suzuki and I have been together for about a year,” Fender said.

“I actually prefer the company of other Toms, but I can’t find any that share my tastes.” Gibson added. “I’ve got my eye on that cute Marvin Arbelt, but only cause he’s never expressed an interest either way. I’ve got my fingers crossed, though.” He raised his paws and crossed his fingers.

“Well, this is our place. We’ll see you around,” Said Fender, holding Suzuki and waving. Gibson waved too, and then they all headed inside.

“So what about you, Cadence? Do you have a boyfriend?”Hex said turning to the calico.

“I do,” she responded. “He’s a bit strange, but once you get past that he’s a great guy. Oh, his house is just up ahead, I’ll introduce you.”

As they got to the house she was referring to, Cadence ran to her boyfriend. He was against the side of the house showing another dog something on his laptop.

“Hey, Joey,” She said as she sat next to him and kissed his cheek. “How was the meeting?”

Drake and Hex were both a bit surprised.

“But I thought…” started Drake.

“That I was with Squeak? Why does everyone think that? It would just be weird. Squeak and I are good friends, but I like cats.” He kissed Cadence after he finished explaining. “I hope you don’t hate cat-lovers as much as my brother does.”

“Between you, me, and these cats, though I didn’t lie when I told him that I wouldn’t say I was a cat lover, Hex here is my girlfriend,” he said, smiling and wagging. “Though I wonder how you’re still in the GODC if you’re a cat lover.”

“It’s just one of the few perks of being Bino’s brother,” he laughed.
-------------------------------
Over at the Wizard house, the Wizard was ready for his meeting with Jeff. When the knock on the door came, he just opened it with his magic.

“Please, Come in. My office is this way.” He led Jeff to a room in the back of the house. “Have a seat.”

“Thanks for meeting with me Mr. Wizard,” he said as he sat down in front of the desk.

“Please, Jeff. My friends just call me the Wizard.” He took his seat behind the desk. “Now, what seems to be the problem?”
----------------------
And there you have part 7. Don't worry, I'm not making Marvin gay, I don't screw with the orientations of already established characters. And I only mess with the Squeak and Joey relationship because I find it a bit weird, and like the explanation that they're just good friends.

questions? comments? concerns?
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

WOW! you can say gay? I had to read this 5 times to make sure I wes not dreaming this... knowing how policy-correct this place trys to be
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

It's allowed to say gay, we just have to try to keep it as family friendly. and not make it uncomfortable for people. Just look in the RP section, there are a few gay characters.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
QuartzOrren

Post by QuartzOrren »

I wish I was good at making Fanfics.
YOU ARE AWESOME.
RAINBOW YEAAH!
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

I liked the new update cant wait for the next one.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Loved this update! Never enough of Zach and Tiger and Joey.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

fear not, I have plans for Tiger (have had those the whole time) and Zach (some I had the whole tome, others I just came up with while trying to nap earlier)

maybe I'll need more plans for Joey too.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Good update! Can't wait for the next one!

Well, this was interesting indeed. Joey has a girlfriend, Drake revealed his cat lover status, Rick is cross dimensional, and Marvin is helping Tiger with a DATE. How very interesting indeed...
My characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Notice, Rick in this universe is a pet and is not the same Rick Griffin. they just happen to have the same pen name.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I just read it all and it was pretty good. I never thought someone could break the forth wall, and make it plot relevant and not derailing. Whenever there is a joke with the wall, I can't help but laugh. Good job Brent, can't wait to see more!
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!