Res - pite : A housepets fanfic

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

JohnWillow

Res - pite : A housepets fanfic

Post by JohnWillow »

This is a short story about Res that I wrote in a day in the format of an email. The story would take place a few months after Res and Grape met so around this exact point in time. I figure by then that they've been on the phone to each other a few times and Res is starting to become more outgoing because of her influence. It's partially based on my own life story because Res and I are similar. Hope you enjoy it.

I can't remember when I last wrote a fanfic. I must've been like 17 when I stopped. I will certainly get around to reading everyone else's fic's as I don't want to seem like some expectant punk. Critism and suggestions are welcome and if one of you guys wants to write a similar fic in Grape's language i'd be up for making a little chain of fake emails with you.

Res – pite

Hey Grape. Sorry if you thought I was ignoring you, my next deadline was a blink away so I was using every worthy minute to write and edit my work with mom.

I can’t tell you much but it’s just one of those informational books filled with little things to know about each pride. I didn’t really want to write it but there was a demand for one.

It’s an extra few dollars in my savings I guess, you never know what that could be good for.

The hidden message is that I can ask for as much free time as I want now and I think I’m going to leave a bit of a gap before I think about another book.

So, entirely up to you, but I’d like to drop by Babylon Gardens for a visit one of these days.

You’ll be happy to know that a certain pamphlet I own is no longer collecting dust under a pile of old notes on my bookshelf.

It’s now collecting dust under Tennessee Williams. Hahaha. Yes, I decided to give those acting lessons or “Pet Theatre” a bash.

My first lesson was just yesterday and I must say (write even) it was really fun. I’m still buzzing like a bee after the whole experience.

Thanks for talking me (writing me even) into going.

The church hall wasn’t too far from my house so I walked there to avoid anyone seeing my mom. So far no one knows my secret.

All the different animals that showed up gave it a real petting zoo vibe. Our tutor, Taro, is a caracal who’d made a name for himself in middle eastern films. Heheh.

Sorry, that wasn’t a giggle over Asian films, one of my classmates is a fennec fox called Manny who thought Taro would eat him.

Over the break one of the cats asked if she could record his scream for a short film she’s working on.

Hahaha.

I don’t mean this in a pitiless “Let’s laugh at him some more” kind of way but I’d like to hope Manny will turn up again.

So…other animals…there was Polly and Tootles the capuchin sisters…Duggan the goat who I’m going to write more about…and Allen the carp…you read me right, a carp in a fishbowl.

Because it was the first lesson all we really did was play games of like tag and one called “Bark, tweet, meow” but by the end we got to devise a scene from memory from a movie of our choosing.

My team decided to go with the casting agency scene in Cat’s Don’t Dance, you’ve seen that right?

Albeit intimidated and not so sure of my believability they say I made a pretty good Danny.

I’m sure though the sort of praise I got was more just to encourage me…like a parent giving their toddler props for their messy drawings because they know with practice they’ll get better....not that it wasn’t really nice to hear.

I must tell you (write you even, sorry, this must be getting annoying) about Duggan the goat. He made being there a lot easier for me.

Prior to the class actually starting I was dawdling alone with my nose in a book, peeking up every now and then at everyone I suspected I’d be working with.

They’d already formed groups of four or more which made me think they’d known each other for quite a time. I didn’t think I could possibly mix in with them.

After all I’m not invisible, they could see me and yet they weren’t concerned that I was by myself.

If they couldn’t consider including me in their idle chitchat what hope did I have of becoming their new friend.

I figured staying quiet would keep the cloak over me and if I dared to take it off to wag my tongue around it’d be more of my inarticulate, vague silly talk and eventually they’d get annoyed with me.

But Duggan changed all that.

It was just like the night we met.

He wanted to know what I was reading and stuck it out through all my weirdness until we were having a really comfortable talk.

He’s a practising Buddhist, talks a ton about mantra, spirits and such.

After a time others came over to us and I got talking to them too. So I don’t think things will be like my head says they will.

Duggan extended an invitation after class to join him for tea so a couple of us went along to this hidden place down a side street that I can’t remember the name of.

It was homely place, stone floors and murals on the walls, candle lit and pillows all over the place but it was somehow a lot nicer to be there than a normal coffee shop where everything’s clean and the design is samey and has that “everybody comes here” feel.

We were all there a couple of hours, fifteen minutes of which Duggan spent staring at a candle flame, and by the end I got a few phone numbers.

My phone’s been shaking itself off the table all day….my phone!!

Now let’s get through the bad news…your fanfic…sorry but I didn’t send it to computer limbo like you wanted.

Since you say it was sent by mistake and I’m guessing the one who sent it is now nailed to a scary door on mount crumpet sucking life affirming air from inside a Christmas stocking I won’t give you criticism unless you ask for it.

I fear the consequences, hahaha, no, not really.

Overall I thought it was good…and pretty hot…some of the less saucy bits actually inspired a small but important part of the future novel which now makes a heck of a lot more sense to me…you have no idea how much stress that bit has caused me so…you…are…the greatest.

Before I opened it yours was actually one of the few fanfics I ever read.

My reason is not so base as I had no time, that I had plenty of, but I found the first few so close to my vision that I got pretty insecure, like if I read any more ideas then I’m not going to have any of my own.

Does that sound terrible?

Weirdly enough, after getting through yours I felt a surge of curiosity and I opened another, and another and soon I was flying through them, giving as undamaging and encouraging a critique as I could put my heart into.

I’m now for the first time a member of the official forum.

I feel uplifted for opening my eyes to the fanciful imaginings of my followers.

Before I was just the creator, silent, in hiding, and not as engaged with the phenomenon as I believed I was but now I’m Resinator, random writing expert.

Heheheh.

Right…that’s as new as my life gets I guess.

As I wrote before I don’t have anything going on at the moment so whenever you want get in touch with me, or don’t, that’s your call…

I’ll never forget your impact on me….

Sincerely Res.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
valerio

Re: Res - pite : A housepets fanfic

Post by valerio »

DAWWWW!!!! This was SO sweet and SO much like Res! :D :D
I hope you give us moar, this deserves being kept on as a correspondence thread between house sandwich and house auburn
loomCAT

Post by loomCAT »

That was a thoroughly adorable story. Always nice to see more Res fics.^_^
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Aw thanks you guys. I do have a few more Res stories in my mind which won't be written like an email so it'll be a few days, maybe weeks before i'm ready to post again. Who knows, i may even extend this email.

I too hope someone comes along and posts a reply email in Grape or Peanut's voice, that would be pretty fun.

Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm not sure but I think you're the first person who wrote a fan fiction with Res as main star. So you've started something that would be, hmm... something alternative to stories that are in Fan projects section. Congratulations.

To me, it looks like you're innerly synchronized with this character. If you believe that you can actually "feel" Res's personality and you really want to wrote about him then I suggest you to keep going with it.
I'm a bookworm!
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

That's fun to know, it'd be pretty funky if i was the first. If even my vision for Res was developed by other people...a pipe dream i know but since this is a community it could happen.

I'm glad you see an inner synchronization. That at least proves i've written this well. I felt an affinity with Res right from the beginning. I have faced similar trials and spoken in a similar manner but it took just one really good friend to put the last piece of me together. That's how I see Res. I think he's got a particular shyness that can wear off if he just has someone to talk to. To me he's a clock missing a gear.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

This was well though out and very in tune to the character. I am happy to see a Res fic. He needs more of them.

You did well! Can't wait to see more from you.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

You guys are so kind. If I could change one thing I don't think I wouldn't have wrote that Duggan is a Buddhist, because I have no idea what Budhism is all about and i'd like to use Duggan in future fic's.

I based him on a guy i used to know called Douglas who was very enthusiastic about meditation and christianity. He actually did sit still for like ten minutes while he stared at a candle flame.

My best option i think is to give Duggan a made up religion to avoid controversy, and maybe to get some laughs.

JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

:mrgreen: The new Res arc is making me squee already, i'm sure it won't be anything like my story but a man can dream.