(How) Should King Tell Fox?

Discuss the comic here
PhoenixAsper

(How) Should King Tell Fox?

Post by PhoenixAsper »

There's really no way around this anymore, well, not for me anyway.

The fact remains that King has been friends with Fox for TWO YEARS now, and vice versa. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I would very much like to see him try and tell Fox who and what he REALLY is. Until that happens, this can never be a true friendship and will always involve ignorance on Fox's part, and guilt on King's. :? It will always be something of a lie.

I'm disappointed in you who believe that Fox will beat him up, or have Bino do it, when he finds out. That would be awful. For one thing, I and others think the fact that King imagined the WORST that could happen, and that it was done for LAUGHS, precludes the possibility of it actually happening. For another, this comic is PG rated and has a tone to consider. The possibilities of what the truth could DO to Fox on the darker side of that mean breaking that tone, in my opinion. I can see that this storyline may yet go some dark places, and Rick's likely got a way around them, but I of course can't see them. And so it leads to rampant imagining and speculation.

To the point however, I would like to see King tell Fox, or Fox find out the truth, preferably BEFORE King's made his decision. But how should he tell him? Should he even bother to try at all, if he won't believe him? The thought of him being unable to clear his conscience properly with Fox is saddening. :( Any thoughts, preferably positive ones?
TensaZangetsu

Re: (How) Should King Tell Fox?

Post by TensaZangetsu »

Hmm, maybe he tells him when something major happens that involves fox, and the rest of the cast... And it ends with fox firgiving him. Maybe.
I'm no good at these things
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I have a feeling that when it does happen it will be one of three ways either on accident (being drunk on soda or something like that) or if Fox for what ever reason learns about the U&U game. I don't really see any other reason for him to tell him at this point though of course that may change later. Or when the game comes to an end and King makes his decision maybe even right before it to finalizes the decision.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

The previous arc, in my opinion, precludes the possibility of them not remaining friends when Fox finds out (I can't see any way around Fox finding out unless by some method he already knows and is simply waiting for King to be brave and honest enough to tell him--I don't know if that's the case but it MIGHT be a possibility at this point--because otherwise why have King's first friend as a dog be the very dog he helped kidnap, and all the resultant irony?), not only because that possibility has already entered King's mind AND was done for laughs, but also because Fox (despite not knowing that the watch was anything more than just a watch, AND not knowing that King is Joel--at least, not having been told by King) saved Joel's watch, which Fox KNEW was Joel's because of the name, for no reason other than that King was desperate to get it, and Fox didn't even know WHY. That says to me that Fox's friendship with King outweighs any animosity he may still have for Joel, and that bodes VERY well for them remaining friends when Fox finds out (obviously if he somehow already knows, then they ARE still friends and the only issue is when King will be brave and honest enough to tell him).

Not to mention that Fox is loyal to BINO, despite constantly getting mad at Bino and even physically injuring him, apparently--and King (at least AS King) has never done ANYTHING along the lines of what Bino has done that prompted such a reaction from Fox. And certainly there's no indication of Fox having to choose between being friends with Bino or being friends with King--even though that could VERY easily have been a possibility considering that Bino and King hate each other. Clearly Fox is so loyal to his friends that he's capable of being friends with both in spite of their dislike of each other. While I don't know (so I don't say I believe this necessarily) that Fox DOES already know, there are connections that make it at least a possibility until such time, if any, that Rick gives his official word on the matter (or, of course, until we see it in the comic).

In sum, I am not worried. There is no doubt in my mind that they will remain friends after it all comes out, even if it's still difficult on Fox to come to terms with it: honestly I think it would be harder on him to accept that his corgi friend used to be human AT ALL than that he used to be that PARTICULAR human--which might even make it more of a possibility that perhaps Fox already DOES know, or at least suspects (as in, he might consider it a possibility at the very least). His dialogue in the lower left corner of "Dogs Who Stare at Water" would seem to suggest he's open to the possibility--although I might be reading too much into it, but then again, the K-9 unit didn't seem all that surprised about the existence of ghosts, and while Fox isn't a member, his dad is a police officer and he is friends with Fido and etc. And if THAT is the case, I would think that bodes well too.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Who ever said he had to tell?
there really isn't a way for Fox to find out (well unless Pete does something)
there's no way his mind is just gonna jump to, "hey that guy used to be Joel"
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Seth wrote:Who ever said he had to tell?
there really isn't a way for Fox to find out (well unless Pete does something)
there's no way his mind is just gonna jump to, "hey that guy used to be Joel"
So what are you saying? :? You'd rather he'd not tell? The friendship would remain a lie, sort of! :|
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I dont know what I'd rather see, but if it was me I wouldn't tell him.
why would you? you have a good thing going, there really isn't a reason Fox needs to know. If you're staying a dog you really dont want to tick off your only friend.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

That would imply that he does NOT, in fact, TRULY value Fox's friendship, but the illusion of it. If he REALLY, REALLY does value him as a friend, the guilt would get to him. He would tell. At least the burden would be gone.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

true enough, but at the same time
if he could get fox to believe him it isn't a stretch to say that fox will end their friendship right there.
I dont know about you but I don't feel my friends need to know everything some things are just better kept secret, this would certainly be one of them.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Have you been listening to what I said earlier? That particular ending will be too dark for the comic. Fox would be scarred for life, King would be ruined, and Rick would have an angry fanbase!

While you may have a point, THIS particular secret is VERY, VERY valid to their friendship being true and steady, and it will be INCOMPLETE without the secret being out.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

PhoenixAsper wrote:Have you been listening to what I said earlier? That particular ending will be too dark for the comic. Fox would be scarred for life, King would be ruined, and Rick would have an angry fanbase!

While you may have a point, THIS particular secret is VERY, VERY valid to their friendship being true and steady, and it will be INCOMPLETE without the secret being out.
Not to mention that it IS a stretch given what we know about Fox so far, as I pointed out above.

And the kind of secret to keep from your friend is something that does NOT directly relate to that friend--if King were NOT the human who helped kidnap Fox, then Seth might have a point (especially if King chose to remain a dog in the end, which he may well do), but he is, and that makes a world of difference.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That's really not that dark.
and who ever said Rick has to listen tothe fanbase, a sizeable portion want to see peanut and grape together, and that still hasn't happened.

I do believe that King's between a rock and a hard place
I'm just gonna leave it at that.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

And I think that he has a difficult decision to make, and that PG ratings do NOT include permanently broken friendships, and I'll leave it there.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Seth wrote:I dont know what I'd rather see, but if it was me I wouldn't tell him.
why would you? you have a good thing going, there really isn't a reason Fox needs to know. If you're staying a dog you really dont want to tick off your only friend.
Depends on what Joel thinks. But i think Joel will tell him in the future as well when he feels comfy enough at this point.

I'm not worried about King and Fox's position much at all, but i am expecting a surprise in the form of PETA. I'm sure Joel being revealed might happen, but then again: Maybe not.
PhoenixAsper wrote:Have you been listening to what I said earlier? That particular ending will be too dark for the comic. Fox would be scarred for life, King would be ruined, and Rick would have an angry fanbase!

It maybe Valid, but that's something you really shouldn't scratch your head over waiting to happen, honestly. Sure, it's a dark event on the horizon, but that dark event may never happen: We don't know if Fox will be scarred or if King will be ruined either and if Rick will have to hide up a tree until the chainsaw comes. It all comes down to execution.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure King will tell Fox this arc, but I think it's inevitable.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I'm not sure King will tell Fox this arc, but I think it's inevitable.
I'm pretty sure this arc is over with. And yeah I agree its inevitable, there's almost no way around it.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Well I going to go with, 'anything can happen'.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Anything? :|

Seriously, yes it can, within the rating of course. I'm pretty sure the arc is overwith as well.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:I'm pretty sure this arc is over with.
It might not be. Especially if this ends up going up to Christmas.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

You think so? :| I was hoping for that (it would be fitting), but this particular ending drastically decreased that chance, I think.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I'm putting in my vote for charades. Either that or in song form.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:I'm pretty sure this arc is over with.
It might not be. Especially if this ends up going up to Christmas.
Rick said no long arcs until December. the next one will be long, this one's probably over.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Well, since they've been friends for two years, I think Fox has seen the "better" part of who Joel is.
He wouldn't want to beat him up then I guess.
There will probably some kind of rejection, with King feeling depressed.
And later (or much later) Fox will confront, or be confronted, on his logic, and of course he will
forgive him.
As for how and when?
King might blurt it out on a desperate moment, may be convinced by Sabrina/Tarot,
or there is a possibilty that Pete will for him when he and Fox are both together one moment in a last ditch
attempt to control King by free will (like a "come to the dark side, you have no choice" thing).
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Tattorack wrote:Well, since they've been friends for two years, I think Fox has seen the "better" part of who Joel is.
He wouldn't want to beat him up then I guess.
There will probably some kind of rejection, with King feeling depressed.
And later (or much later) Fox will confront, or be confronted, on his logic, and of course he will
forgive him.
As for how and when?
King might blurt it out on a desperate moment, may be convinced by Sabrina/Tarot,
or there is a possibilty that Pete will for him when he and Fox are both together one moment in a last ditch
attempt to control King by free will (like a "come to the dark side, you have no choice" thing).
That's kind of awful. :( It DOES make sense, but if there is to be some kind of rejection, I would VERY much hope that it doesn't last THAT long. The imagining it actually happening was bad enough. :( But glad you think he WOULD forgive him.

Though, honestly, perhaps I should HOPE for Pete to force the situation: if that were to occur, by the comic's tone, Pete cannot be permitted to WIN! :shock:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Actually, i think it won't be Pete, but PETA that does it.

Also, a little rejection is better than alot of rejection. <.< Fox i'm sure like i said earlier is most likely only going to do that for a short while though.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Just before he has to decide if he wants to be a dog permanently, King tells Fox and chooses by Fox's reaction.
At least that's what I thought would happen.

Another possibility: Fox is on his deathbed next to King. King tells Fox he's Joel. Flatline. (What ends up happening if King doesn't say anything)
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

No. I don't think he really would tell Fox anything, what is he going to say exactly:
"Hi Fox. By the way, I am actually human who was transformed into a dog by a great magical beast that wants to use me as a pawn in a twisted cosmic game. And you know what else, I was Joel as a human, the man who almost cost you your life. But that's alright, because we're friends now, right?"
I don't see how it could ever go down well.

And if the friendship can not be a true friendship just because of this secret, then so be it. I don't think King would really care, it seems as though that even Fox has been the "best of a bad situation" for him. There would be no real need for King to say anything to Fox, or he could make up a credable lie about it all if Fox really would force the issue for explanations, which is not in Fox's nature.

Nope, King would no so much as breathe a word of any of it. And even if he did, there is a very good chance that Fox would think he's crazy, or he might shun King for claiming to be Joel. The only way to make it possible that Fox would find out is if he met one of those Deities (it could even be Pete) himself, which would allow him to believe King was once human. But then we are faced of the issue of Fox's inevitable (and understandable) resentment toward Joel, how would that be dealt with and make it seem plausible? It would not make sense for Fox to just accept it and run off into the sunset paw-in-paw with King, regardless of how adorable that would be.
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

Thing is, I am starting to think that King is seeing Fox as a true friend, ever since they met they have been kind of inseparable. If King didn't see Fox as a good friend, he would not have even brought up the hypothetical question to Fox in the first place. Also, the times where Fox has spoken about it, King would get really nervous, whether that is because he fears of what Fox might do to him, or fear of losing his only friend is up in the air. If anything, he should be talking to Sabrina or Tarot about it
ImageImageImage
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I have a feeling that without a overwhelming good reason to tell Fox, there's no need for King to tell Fox. Not unless King was leaving BG.
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

King might look at Peanut as a kid more then anything, as King has an (or almost) and adult human mentality. I think that is why King and Fox also make good friends, as the other dogs play, Fox just sits back and watches the fun
ImageImageImage
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

So if I were to go by responses here, the most I can ever expect out of this comic is sadness or incompleteness. :| Guess I need to expect such answers when I ask the hard questions.

People, his whole LIFE seems to have been sad! Why can't he have a happy ending for once?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

PhoenixAsper wrote:So if I were to go by responses here, the most I can ever expect out of this comic is sadness or incompleteness. :| Guess I need to expect such answers when I ask the hard questions.

People, his whole LIFE seems to have been sad! Why can't he have a happy ending for once?
What about MY responses? :P
PF chars

--Phoenix

PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I thought of that. I meant recent responses.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

At this point, I'm fairly certain that King's main concern is about losing Fox as a friend. He could take a beating because that's only a very temporary pain, and I feel like King probably (if only partially) feels like he deserves something like that after what he put Fox through. But if Fox were to actually drop their friendship, King would be absolutely -crushed-.

Also, it seems inevitable now that he's going to tell Fox eventually. Why else would he have tried to have that talk with him near the end of the last arc? He's obviously to the point where he's beginning to overcome the fear of the potential consequences and trying his best to think of a good way to go about doing it. Now that we've got evidence of his desire to tell Fox, it just wouldn't be cohesive for the story progression to simply drop it without a conclusion. It -will- come up again eventually; I can say that much with certainty.

I wanna say that King will just come out and say it eventually, and with time Fox will come to grips with it (heck, people have already mentioned the possibility that Fox already knows, and has accepted it, and is just waiting for King to come around; though, considering Fox's reaction to King's attempt to bring it up in the last arc, I doubt it). As for the most likely venue, I can't say I've thought about this deeply enough to really have a solid conclusion.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

KJOokami wrote:At this point, I'm fairly certain that King's main concern is about losing Fox as a friend. He could take a beating because that's only a very temporary pain, and I feel like King probably (if only partially) feels like he deserves something like that after what he put Fox through. But if Fox were to actually drop their friendship, King would be absolutely -crushed-.

Also, it seems inevitable now that he's going to tell Fox eventually. Why else would he have tried to have that talk with him near the end of the last arc? He's obviously to the point where he's beginning to overcome the fear of the potential consequences and trying his best to think of a good way to go about doing it. Now that we've got evidence of his desire to tell Fox, it just wouldn't be cohesive for the story progression to simply drop it without a conclusion. It -will- come up again eventually; I can say that much with certainty.

I wanna say that King will just come out and say it eventually, and with time Fox will come to grips with it (heck, people have already mentioned the possibility that Fox already knows, and has accepted it, and is just waiting for King to come around; though, considering Fox's reaction to King's attempt to bring it up in the last arc, I doubt it). As for the most likely venue, I can't say I've thought about this deeply enough to really have a solid conclusion.
Absolutely he would be! Just look at the last words in the imagination panels, you know, the ones that were supposed to be HUMOROUS. That would just continue the cycle of him being a loser.

Absolutely again! The fact that they have been friends for two years AND that he was the first dog that King ever made friends with (otherwise why can't he have been friends with just ANYONE?), has left the storyline that Fox will find out and it will end well, or he won't find out at all.

I highly doubt that Fox already knows; he'd be a VERY good actor if so.

Glad to see this, especially among other comments.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Just throwing out there, but this scenario is an option, albeit a very distant one. Perhapos in choosing to be a dog, King is a dog, and his human past is completely obliterated. Fox will never know because King will be king, and not joel, and they live on without ever realizing what occured. It would end a few U&Us loose ends, Fox and King will stay true friends, and everything turns out just perfect. A little cheesy for Housepets, but whatever. A remote possibility.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

King: "by the way fox, I used to be a human."
Fox: "Really?"
King: "yep."
Fox: "k, cool"
King: "Also, I was the one who dognaped you."
Fox: "ya don't say?"
King: "Also i'm dating your sister"
Fox: "now that just takes it to far."
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Kyderra wrote:King: "by the way fox, I used to be a human."
Fox: "Really?"
King: "yep."
Fox: "k, cool"
King: "Also, I was the one who dognaped you."
Fox: "ya don't say?"
King: "Also i'm dating your sister"
Fox: "now that just takes it to far."
especially considering Fox doesn't have a sister. Bailey's his cousin.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah he does. King dumped Bailey for her.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

again, your randomizer gave me your winking fursona avatar and it fit so well with that statement.

and I want to see Fox's sister. we need more female pets.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets