Birdwatchers/Birdfeeders

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

GameCobra

Re: Birdwatchers/Birdfeeders

Post by GameCobra »

I use to birdfeed when i lived with my grandmother. these days though, the bread is not squandered.

But then again, probably because i'm stuck on the PC most of the time and forget about the animals. This topic makes me think otherwise...
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

And new pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_White_Ibis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_Gull

And the normal pigeons, ducks and grackles.
Attachments
Iphone 002.JPG
Iphone 002.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 9135 times
Iphone 001.JPG
Iphone 001.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 9135 times
Iphone 011.JPG
Iphone 011.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 9135 times
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

New pic.

And yes, he was nip-happy. Lucky me, Seagull beaks aren't good for breaking skin, only pinches.
Attachments
Iphone 001.JPG
Iphone 001.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 9086 times
Seagull.jpg
Seagull.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 9086 times
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Sometimes if I'm lucky I can spot some Eastern Rosellas while I'm walking down near the local creek.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

You should get some pictures.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I used to go down to a local place quite a lot when i was at my old college. They had plenty of pigeons and very tame squirrels. A squirrel actually sat on my shoulder once.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Pigeons are thankfully found everywhere.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Incidentally, I dun think I have seen many pigeons at all through my life. They are so rare here.... But that is such a cute thing the Squirrel did. ^^ They fear us here. :<
Probably because of where I live.....
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Pigeons are commonly called 'rats with wings' where I'm at due to how many diseases they apparently carry. Not sure if that's true or not, but I still don't like the bird much.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

44R0NM10 wrote:Pigeons are commonly called 'rats with wings' where I'm at due to how many diseases they apparently carry. Not sure if that's true or not, but I still don't like the bird much.
Pigeons are pretty clean, honestly. They are typically called rats with wings because they have a high rate of breeding and even if a number are killed, they will simply breed more. People tend to hate them because they don't care where they..go to the bathroom and a flock that sticks to one area can make things messy.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

ahh, thank you for clarifying that...I'm curious though, are seagulls looked down upon at all?
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

44R0NM10 wrote:ahh, thank you for clarifying that...I'm curious though, are seagulls looked down upon at all?
Same reasons, plus seagulls will get food-agressive and steal food.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

so, erm, why do bird-watchers like them at all? (I'm assuming a lot here just from the pics you posted at the top of this page)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Because they're pretty. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Seagulls are fun. When at the beach, they just hang out with the crowd, not really bothering anyone who is at the beach and a flock of them makes quite the nice picture.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

44R0NM10 wrote:so, erm, why do bird-watchers like them at all? (I'm assuming a lot here just from the pics you posted at the top of this page)
-Most bird watchers like any bird that is 'human tolerant'. Seagulls have evolved to be very human tolerant to the point of interacting with humans freely if they have food. You can also find them at beaches everywhere and they are pretty easy to photograph.

-For bird watchers just starting out, they are a pretty ideal flocking bird to watch and study.

-They are found everywhere. Your town got a waterfront? You got seagulls. Your town got a landfill? You got seagulls. Your town have any sort of fair sized body of water? You got seagulls.

-Next to pigeons, they are a very, very cheap bird to feed because they will eat -anything- A $1 spent on day old bread can provide you with a hour of amusement as the gulls will hover over head, walk right up to you and bicker all over a slice. Plus you get to see some killer dogfights between them in a group if one gets food and take off (They don't hurt each other, they just try to scare the other into dropping the food)
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Foxstar wrote:
44R0NM10 wrote:so, erm, why do bird-watchers like them at all? (I'm assuming a lot here just from the pics you posted at the top of this page)
-Most bird watchers like any bird that is 'human tolerant'. Seagulls have evolved to be very human tolerant to the point of interacting with humans freely if they have food. You can also find them at beaches everywhere and they are pretty easy to photograph.

-For bird watchers just starting out, they are a pretty ideal flocking bird to watch and study.

-They are found everywhere. Your town got a waterfront? You got seagulls. Your town got a landfill? You got seagulls. Your town have any sort of fair sized body of water? You got seagulls.

-Next to pigeons, they are a very, very cheap bird to feed because they will eat -anything- A $1 spent on day old bread can provide you with a hour of amusement as the gulls will hover over head, walk right up to you and bicker all over a slice. Plus you get to see some killer dogfights between them in a group if one gets food and take off (They don't hurt each other, they just try to scare the other into dropping the food)
I dont know
I saw a pretty intense seagull fight in ireland
they must have been from the wrong side of town :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Seth wrote:
Foxstar wrote:

I dont know
I saw a pretty intense seagull fight in ireland
they must have been from the wrong side of town :P
They can get pretty rough, but most of the time when it comes to food, they are just mobbing each other for a bigger piece.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Morning Doves are the biggest gluttons ever, I swear. I have a flock of 20 or so visiting my feeders every day and they feed four-five times a day. I need to get some pictures up when I get a chance.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Attachments
Iphone 009.JPG
Iphone 009.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 008.JPG
Iphone 008.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 007.JPG
Iphone 007.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 006.JPG
Iphone 006.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 005.JPG
Iphone 005.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 004.JPG
Iphone 004.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 003.JPG
Iphone 003.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Iphone 002.JPG
Iphone 002.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8688 times
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hehe, silly faces. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Thought I'd give a update. I'm down to only a few feeders now and been short on cash so I haven't refilled them lately save for the two near my dog.