PS3 or Xbox 360?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: PS3 or Xbox 360?

Post by Sleet »

The Wii is doing pretty well. I doubt Microsoft and Sony are going to use motion controls next time, so whether or not it becomes a "thing" rather than a fad kind of rides on how well the Wii U catches on.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Sleet wrote:The Wii is doing pretty well. I doubt Microsoft and Sony are going to use motion controls next time, so whether or not it becomes a "thing" rather than a fad kind of rides on how well the Wii U catches on.
i need to borrow my friends Wii so i can play legend pf zelda: skyward sword o 3o
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Sleet wrote:The Wii is doing pretty well. I doubt Microsoft and Sony are going to use motion controls next time, so whether or not it becomes a "thing" rather than a fad kind of rides on how well the Wii U catches on.
I think it's more the Wii did well.

At the moment it's doing horribly, having not seen a good release in months. Personally I haven't bought a Wii game since Goldeneye.

It's my opinion that the Wii's only in trouble because pretty much everyone already has a Wii, which leads to increased sales on other consoles.

I'll edit my post about pros and cons of Xbox/PS3 later. Just got some stuff to take care of first.
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Jesse James wrote:

At the moment it's doing horribly, having not seen a good release in months. Personally I haven't bought a Wii game since Goldeneye.

It's my opinion that the Wii's only in trouble because pretty much everyone already has a Wii, which leads to increased sales on other consoles.

I'll edit my post about pros and cons of Xbox/PS3 later. Just got some stuff to take care of first.
skyward swoooooooorrrrrddddddd
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jesse James wrote:

Right. Market saturation. It doesn't say there isn't demand for it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
Jesse James wrote:

skyward swoooooooorrrrrddddddd
Pretty much. I'm hanging out for Skyward Sword so bad. I want it now. ;_____;

In any case, deciding between a PS3 and Xbox, basically it goes like this:

- PS3 is a gruntier system, in general graphics look better on the PS3 than the Xbox
- Xbox runs faster though. Noticable in games like Street Fighter, where the PS3 version lags behind a couple of frames
- PS3 needs much more memory, thus don't be surprised if you eventually need to replace your HDD
- Conversely the Xbox avoids this by using multiple discs
- PS3's online is less reliable than even the Wii's.
- Xbox's online costs $$$$, but is very reliable. You can skip around this by making multiple accounts though.
- Xbox recieves games before the PS3 usually (Example: Xbox got Oblivion a year before PS3 did)
- Both have few flagship titles, but PS3's are arguably better and more diverse (Example: Ratchet and Clank, MGS4, GT and Uncharted vs Halo, Forza and... I don't know.)
- PS3 isn't region locked. You wanna play some random anime game from Japan on your PS3? Go for it. It'll work.
- ... Xbox however is region locked. Not that it matters too much. Xbox is quite throughly hated in Japan.

That's all I can think of atm. I would personally say pick PS3, only because my Sexbox is sitting in a corner gathering dust at the moment. So yeah. ~
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Sleet wrote:
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Way to downplay half of everyone there Chaplin. ^^;
I wonder how the Kinect, and Playstation Move are going to progress. Nothing good seems to be coming out on either of them to my knowledge?
The Move seems to have disappeared, and the Kinect is actually drawing attention of engineers for non-gaming applications, though as a gaming device it's fading a bit too.

I think if consoles want to stay competitive they need to stop focusing on online. Nintendo has the right idea, differentiating themselves from PCs, though I think there is still a lasting market for the traditional console experience, judging by how popular Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., and FPS LAN games are. I don't think it's marketable now, but I see eventually a marketable console being similar to the Nintendo 64: focused on offline multiplayer. May or may not feature motion control depending on how the technology develops and whether motion control ends up being the next step or a fad.
I honestly know nothing about PC Gaming to be honest. Sure I know there are MMOs, and I play those a ton, but I never play console games on them. The only two things I have ever used steam for was steam exclusive MMOs. In any case, as a collector, I just feel that playing things on the systems they were meant for instead of keyboards is much better than anything else. Consoles are fun and not worthless, tis how I sees it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Consoles are definitely fun, but what they've turned into has basically become PCs. :/
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

*puts 2 cents in the piggy bank*
I personally have owned both, and if you dont get Xbox Live gold with an xbox, it's in no way worth it.
I've also never had any problems playing online with ps3 (like people have mentioned or something) o.0
I still have my ps3, and I play it a lot. I don't have my xbox anymore. :P
My vote it ps3. Especially cuz the black Friday deal at a few different stores is pretty sweet |D..

ImageImage
ImageImage
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I would go with the PS3: I'm fond of PlayStation because I grew up with the systems and the PS3 has more games that I prefer to play. Simple as that.

Also, good gosh I just cannot get used to the Xbox controller. My friend and I were playing a Star Wars xbox 360 game and we couldn't get past the first level because we had the older controller (and hence the button to open the door didn't exist. >__< ).
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Sleet wrote:
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Way to downplay half of everyone there Chaplin. ^^;
I wonder how the Kinect, and Playstation Move are going to progress. Nothing good seems to be coming out on either of them to my knowledge?
The Move seems to have disappeared, and the Kinect is actually drawing attention of engineers for non-gaming applications, though as a gaming device it's fading a bit too.

I think if consoles want to stay competitive they need to stop focusing on online. Nintendo has the right idea, differentiating themselves from PCs, though I think there is still a lasting market for the traditional console experience, judging by how popular Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., and FPS LAN games are. I don't think it's marketable now, but I see eventually a marketable console being similar to the Nintendo 64: focused on offline multiplayer. May or may not feature motion control depending on how the technology develops and whether motion control ends up being the next step or a fad.
I personally think motion control is just a fad, sure the Wii had success but t really has faded because they really haven't been amazing people with new games, just sort of making games. Its really sort of a shovel wear console, but the Zelda and Mario games are really good, I love Twilight Princess, the Galaxy games are great. Probably my least favorite Mario game I have ever played however is Super Paper Mario, but still.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the main issue here, which could possibly kill motion controls for good, is that the only people who know how to effectively develop for Nintendo's weirdness is Nintendo. Just furthering the tendency to have a massive divide between Nintendo's brilliant games and everyone else's crap on Nintendo's consoles.
Beagle wrote:I would go with the PS3: I'm fond of PlayStation because I grew up with the systems and the PS3 has more games that I prefer to play. Simple as that.

Also, good gosh I just cannot get used to the Xbox controller. My friend and I were playing a Star Wars xbox 360 game and we couldn't get past the first level because we had the older controller (and hence the button to open the door didn't exist. >__< ).
The Xbox 360 controller is tied with the Gamecube controller for my favorite traditional controller of all time, actually. To each his or her own, I guess!
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Typically, with multiplatform releases, developers write the code for the Xbox 360 version.
Since the 360 is basically a Windows PC, porting to the PC is quick and painless.

The PS3 has more power under the hood, but is difficult to write code for.
Porting to the PS3 is much harder, so the ports usually come out worse (more lag and such).

The PC is really the best gaming platform. You are only limited by the hardware you have.
While consoles may be forced to play a game on medium quality, PC users can bump the graphics and sound up to max.
Menus can be navigated by mouse and keyboard. If you prefer a controller, you can still hook up a wired 360 controller.

But I prefer to have physical copies of my games. I hate redeemable serial codes. PC games aren't very collectable to me.
In the end I'd have to say Xbox 360 for multiplatform games. So then, what about console exclusives?
That's really a personal choice. Xbox 360 tends to get more FPS exclusives, while PS3 gets a mix of Sony's own Intellectual Property.

The PS3 has exclusives like Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Infamous, and the soon to return Sly Cooper.
The Xbox 360 has exclusives like Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Viva Pinata, and a mesh of (mostly) kid friendly Kinect games.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Okay everybody, I have made a decision on what game console I am going to purchase........ *drum roll in the background*
I am going to get a............................................................................................................. Playstation 3 :D
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

'Kay.
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Sleet wrote:I think the main issue here, which could possibly kill motion controls for good, is that the only people who know how to effectively develop for Nintendo's weirdness is Nintendo. Just furthering the tendency to have a massive divide between Nintendo's brilliant games and everyone else's crap on Nintendo's consoles.
Beagle wrote:I would go with the PS3: I'm fond of PlayStation because I grew up with the systems and the PS3 has more games that I prefer to play. Simple as that.

The Xbox 360 controller is tied with the Gamecube controller for my favorite traditional controller of all time, actually. To each his or her own, I guess!
Regarding Nintendo's "weirdness", I agree that they're the best at utilising their innovations, but that doesn't stop people from developing games for it. It's mostly the Wii's hardware limitations (Basically a Gamecube with motion controls) that limits the games that appear on it and their quality. A good example of someone who avoided it is Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri which pushed the Wii to its limit on almost every single front. It's an amazing game.

Also I adore the Xbox 360 controller. Best controller this gen imo.
Esquire Fox wrote: The PC is really the best gaming platform. You are only limited by the hardware you have.
While consoles may be forced to play a game on medium quality, PC users can bump the graphics and sound up to max.
Menus can be navigated by mouse and keyboard. If you prefer a controller, you can still hook up a wired 360 controller.
imo PC gaming is limited more by the console exclusives that will never appear on PC. It's fine to play CoD/Battlefield on PC, but that's about all you'll get. We'll never see games such as Uncharted, MvC and Zelda on the PC. It's Sony and Nintendo's saving grace really.

I used Steam to play Spiral Knights... and TF2. I think I've played both about once. =D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jesse James wrote:Regarding Nintendo's "weirdness", I agree that they're the best at utilising their innovations, but that doesn't stop people from developing games for it. It's mostly the Wii's hardware limitations (Basically a Gamecube with motion controls) that limits the games that appear on it and their quality. A good example of someone who avoided it is Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri which pushed the Wii to its limit on almost every single front. It's an amazing game.

Hardware didn't stop great games from being published on the Gamecube, PS2 or Xbox. Pretty much every good game on the PS3 or Xbox 360 could've been put on the Wii as well with worse graphics. They just need a traditional controller to work as intended and Nintendo didn't provide that (outside of peripherals). Third-party developers had to make sense of the controller to make good games more often than not, and they just managed to not make it work. Add to that the fact that third-party games not directed towards children and housewives tended to sell poorly and that's the main reason for it.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:Okay everybody, I have made a decision on what game console I am going to purchase........ *drum roll in the background*
I am going to get a............................................................................................................. Playstation 3 :D
Make sure you get the 'fat' PS3 model.
You get to have touch sensitive buttons and a surfacing that can catalog the fingerprints of every human being that has ever laid hand on it.
As an added bonus, inserting discs into the fat PS3 gives all the pleasure of running a document through a paper shredder.

No seriously, I like the fat one better.
The slim PS3 feels cheap.
- Esquire Fox

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Sleet wrote:
Jesse James wrote:Regarding Nintendo's "weirdness", I agree that they're the best at utilising their innovations, but that doesn't stop people from developing games for it. It's mostly the Wii's hardware limitations (Basically a Gamecube with motion controls) that limits the games that appear on it and their quality. A good example of someone who avoided it is Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri which pushed the Wii to its limit on almost every single front. It's an amazing game.

Hardware didn't stop great games from being published on the Gamecube, PS2 or Xbox. Pretty much every good game on the PS3 or Xbox 360 could've been put on the Wii as well with worse graphics. They just need a traditional controller to work as intended and Nintendo didn't provide that (outside of peripherals). Third-party developers had to make sense of the controller to make good games more often than not, and they just managed to not make it work. Add to that the fact that third-party games not directed towards children and housewives tended to sell poorly and that's the main reason for it.
Yeah, but putting every good game on the Wii and scaling it down the graphics etc would still require work and effort, reasons similar to why TvC was Wii exclusive and MvC was PS3 and Xbox only. It's just not worth the time or money expended. Doubly so for the Wii for reasons you've already stated. (lol housewives)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The same could be said about scaling it "up" to the Xbox 360 and the PS3. If they didn't want to have to deal with scaling, they had to choose one or the other. So there still had to be a reason they didn't choose the Wii, and that reason is most likely what I provided.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Esquire Fox wrote:
TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:Okay everybody, I have made a decision on what game console I am going to purchase........ *drum roll in the background*
Make sure you get the 'fat' PS3 model.
You get to have touch sensitive buttons and a surfacing that can catalog the fingerprints of every human being that has ever laid hand on it.
As an added bonus, inserting discs into the fat PS3 gives all the pleasure of running a document through a paper shredder.

No seriously, I like the fat one better.
The slim PS3 feels cheap.
And the slims aren't reverse compatible. Of course I can get the 120gb for 250 bucks now.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Sleet wrote:The same could be said about scaling it "up" to the Xbox 360 and the PS3. If they didn't want to have to deal with scaling, they had to choose one or the other. So there still had to be a reason they didn't choose the Wii, and that reason is most likely what I provided.
I just said that. /tears

The best-selling hardcore 3rd party game the Wii has is Monster Hunter Tri, which sold about 2 million copies. Not particularly impressive compared to major games such as CoD/Battlefield, but it's not a number to sneeze at either.

I still think the biggest factor is that people simply prefer to play hardcore games on gruntier systems. I mean, why play CoD on the Wii when you can play it on either the PC, Xbox or PS3?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"Hardcore" is a rather nebulous term.

I think a better thing to say is that people prefer games on the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 unless they are improved by motion controls. Considering that's the only hardware advantage the Wii has, that's only logical.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:And the slims aren't reverse compatible. Of course I can get the 120gb for 250 bucks now.
I would recommend buying a 20GB PS3 and putting a new drive in it but...

Well, there was a flood in Thailand around the start of November.
Thailand is one of the worlds largest manufacturers of hard drives.
Western Digital's main plant got completely destroyed.

Hard Drive prices have more than doubled since the flood.
I bought a 1TB drive for my computer in October for $70.
Now the same hard drive runs for $220.

You could have gotten a 120GB hard drive in October for less than $30.
It will take quite some time for the manufacturers to recover now though.
- Esquire Fox

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Debating on merging this with the video game thread, or locking.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Probably lock it, it would not really fully fit in with the Video Game thread and the discussion has long since been finished. ^^;
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Good idea.