Old Comic Discussion: "Imaginate" to "Imaginate, too!"

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
The Game

Re: current comic

Post by The Game »

Teh Brawler wrote:
ctcmjh wrote:I hate it how sarcasm doesn't work over the internet.
Because, OBVIOUSLY, NO ONE could EVER figure out how be sarcastic in TYPING. :roll:
wild guess: that was sarcasm....right....?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yeesh. I forgot the main reason i was posting earlier. Man, i love this board <3
Sinder wrote:3: Peanut and Grape remain "just friends".
Likelihood: High. Grape explains that she is flattered by Peanut's attention, but that his attraction toward her is not mutual, and they clear the air between them. This in itself presents a number of possible outcomes, the best being that Peanut just grins and bears it, and the worst being that he runs out of the house in tears. Based on what we've seen so far, this is by a wide margin the most likely scenario, but unfortunately, it is also the least satisfying, as it does little to develop the dynamic between the two of them (by maintaining the status quo), and leaves Peanut in the same sad place he's been for the last year.
I'm thinking back what i said earlier where i bolded. The arc isn't over yet, but i got this hint of a feeling that the way things are going in this arc now is coming to a family sensitive moment. I'm sure Grape will try something to make Peanut feel happy about all of this, but one of the things that strikes me is related to the whole arc: Their game of Pretend.

I'm not sure if there will be anymore pretend at this point, but if there is, i bet that's what will be the 'smooth sailing' point for these two in the end.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
The Game

Post by The Game »

Sinder wrote:Five possibilities, guys.

1: Grape returns Peanut's affections.
Likelihood: Low. We've seen very little up to now to suggest that Grape feels the same way about Peanut that she does about him, and if she did, and has known about his crush for some time, then she probably would have done something about it by now. This is to say nothing of her dating Max.

2: Peanut says or does something to spark Grape's interest in him.
Likelihood: Moderate. Slightly more likely, only because there have been subtle hints in the past that Grape's friendship with Peanut is more than strictly platonic. Peanut's interest in Grape developed slowly over time; it took almost a year for him to work up the nerve to tell her he cared about her after he found out she was a girl, even though that particular attempt failed. If Peanut were to indicate that his feelings for her were genuine and not some passing fancy, then she may gradually warm up to the idea and be able to overcome her own prejudices.
I'm going with either of these two. Just because i loooove happy endings.
And Peanut and Grape are meant to be!!!! *throws Max in a dungeon* :twisted: MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I'll have to throw in my opinion that number three is the most likely.
The Game wrote:And Peanut and Grape are meant to be!!!! *throws Max in a dungeon* :twisted: MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
NOOOO! Grape and Max are perfect! So is Tarot and Peanut! And an unrelated awesome couple is King and Sasha!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Teh Brawler wrote: You know, the funny thing here is that Rick has reached that point where the requirements for resolution have been established, and nothing can change unless those requirements are met. He can add on to the setting, story, and characters, but he can't alter any of the scenarios already in place without meeting those required points.
For example, take Tarot. There is relatively little known about her, and as such, there is plenty of room for characterization and background development. We don't know who her owner is, where she lives, where she came from, when she came to Babylon Gardens, and the like. Even her social relations can be developed with the characters that haven't had their meeting with her displyed or implyed yet. But as for Grape and Peanut, her social situation is set, and it can't change unless Rick aims for resolution of the romantic point of view of this universe. Same with Max: Max is better known, but his place is set amoungst the Sandwich characters, and that can't be altered without moving towards resolution.
To sum that all up, I don't see this arc developing the scenario we have, since Rick just set it up this way last summer. :P
Slap my knee and call me Arbuckle, methinks I was wrong.
And, yes, I went searching for this one quote. Took me 20 minutes to find.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Two_Twig wrote:
Sinder wrote:Words
That is a gross oversimplification, sir
ImageImage
ImageImage
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Sinder wrote:
Two_Twig wrote:
Sinder wrote:Words
That is a gross oversimplification, sir
You're an oversimplification... Darn you and your witty repartee. Darn.
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Two_Twig wrote:You're an oversimplification... Darn you and your witty repartee. Darn.
Darn you.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

What is this I don't even... even... understand. HA SEE WHAT I DID THERE :lol:

:roll:
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
wolvie616

Post by wolvie616 »

Hey everyone! new here, but my thoughts on the situation

I want to see option 4 or 1 happen, since I'm such a sap for a happy ending or a tragiic character moment. The recent events have really made me dislike grape, because she DID toy with peanut. the poor kid is so confused right now, and she certainly doesn't help by just revealing his secret to him. I think Peanut is more than justified to have a meltdown after all this. However, knowing peanut, he'll probably, just sit there, looking sad, and refuse to talk to grape cause he's so embarrassed she knows
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I don't really see why there would be a meltdown(in a negative way, so to speak).
Welcome to the forums by the way!
no longer active, sorry
Axl9333
Location: The Funny Farm. Where life is beautiful all the time.

Post by Axl9333 »

The Game wrote:
Peanut and Grape are meant to be!!!! *throws Max in a dungeon* :twisted: MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
*high five*
Loki: S-3 P-3 E-5 C-4 I-7 A-10 L-10
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Axl9333 wrote:
The Game wrote:
Peanut and Grape are meant to be!!!! *throws Max in a dungeon* :twisted: MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
*high five*
hehe this
no longer active, sorry
wolvie616

Post by wolvie616 »

ReCreate wrote:I don't really see why there would be a meltdown(in a negative way, so to speak).
Welcome to the forums by the way!
thanks!

and I could totally see it happening. it would be one of those "you knew?!" moments. Not to mention it's probably his deepest secret.

but then again, peanut's much to nice to get mad. he'll probably just be incredibly embarrased
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

it really is amazing how he drains all the color out of his irises like that, I didn't think you could do that
ImageImage
ImageImage
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

No actually I think it shrunk.
Last edited by ReCreate on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
no longer active, sorry
valerio

Post by valerio »

And Peanut and Grape are meant to be!!!! *throws Max in a dungeon* :twisted: MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
*locks dungeon and throws key in the sewers*
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Tarot turns Peanut into a cat.
... just suggesting
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sinder wrote:5: Before any declarations of love can be made, Pete appears with a terrifying screech, and the sky begins raining ninjas.
Likelihood: Very low.
Are we thinking of the same Rick here? I'd put that as a near-definite.

Also apparently my name isn't Ebly since you didn't come back with another song.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

I'm really hoping for Grape to return Peanut's affection, but I think he's just going to get mad at Grape. I mean if you liked someone and were afraid to say something to her/him about it and then they tell you that they KNOW you have a crush on them or something. Your not going to be mad, that they never confrunted you about it, till they accually felt they had to? Like what just happened in this strip.
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Cerberusx wrote:I'm really hoping for Grape to return Peanut's affection, but I think he's just going to get mad at Grape. I mean if you liked someone and were afraid to say something to her/him about it and then they tell you that they KNOW you have a crush on them or something. Your not going to be mad, that they never confrunted you about it, till they accually felt they had to? Like what just happened in this strip.
Well look on the bright side, at least they don't have to hide it from each other anymore. Hmmm, if Grape knew that Peanut had a crush on her, its is possible that she may had intentionally led Peanut on, just to get him to confess? Just asking...
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well look on the bright side, at least they don't have to hide it from each other anymore. Hmmm, if Grape knew that Peanut had a crush on her, its is possible that she may had intentionally led Peanut on, just to get him to confess? Just asking...
put it this way, it implies that Grape wanted him to be sure of peanut's feelings in order to return them.
Sorry, but the idea that she was toying with him just to end up telling him 'it won't work' is...well, inconceivable to me. If she intended not to develope a more-than-friends relations, she would have had 'the talk' with Peanut long before reaching this point.
And to those who asked 'What about Max?'. Well, she started dating Max not out of affection, but because she felt a pang of 'species-consciousness' after the barn cat talked to her. For all we know, it still stands that Grape was afraid of speaking out her feelings for Peanut.
On the other hand, if she *really* just dismissed what Peanut is feeling for her, emotional outburst with severe consequences may occur.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Cerberusx wrote:I mean if you liked someone and were afraid to say something to her/him about it and then they tell you that they KNOW you have a crush on them or something. Your not going to be mad, that they never confrunted you about it, till they accually felt they had to?
Well, to be honest, no. It really doesn't make sense to me that "Oh by the way I knew all along and I'm perfectly okay with it" could inspire rage in anyone. It might be a little offensive that it didn't affect the person enough to inspire any visible reaction, but that's nothing to get angry over.

If people knew and were laughing over it, then I would understand that, but that's not what was happening.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Cerberusx wrote:I'm really hoping for Grape to return Peanut's affection, but I think he's just going to get mad at Grape. I mean if you liked someone and were afraid to say something to her/him about it and then they tell you that they KNOW you have a crush on them or something. Your not going to be mad, that they never confrunted you about it, till they accually felt they had to? Like what just happened in this strip.
To me It would depend on how long the person knew before hand. If Grape had just figured it out like just a week ago or something (By the way how long has it been in comic time since Tarot showed up anyway?) then no Peanut getting angry would be very unreasonable but if she's known since the Farm Arc or even before then I could see him getting angry as reasonable, not that it will happen because he's too nice of a person.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

annnnnd the comment section is flooded X3
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Ebly wrote:Also apparently my name isn't Ebly since you didn't come back with another song.
Your name isn't Ebly, Elby
ImageImage
ImageImage
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

[AKKK, late post.]

Peanut has already proven he’s not very subtle, kinda obvious Grape would know…At least that’s what I think.
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Sinder wrote:
Ebly wrote:Also apparently my name isn't Ebly since you didn't come back with another song.
Your name isn't Ebly, Elby
Duck and Cover, Duck and Cover!
Everyone get down!!!
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

valerio wrote: And to those who asked 'What about Max?'. Well, she started dating Max not out of affection, but because she felt a pang of 'species-consciousness' after the barn cat talked to her. For all we know, it still stands that Grape was afraid of speaking out her feelings for Peanut.
On the other hand, if she *really* just dismissed what Peanut is feeling for her, emotional outburst with severe consequences may occur.

Come to think of it, Grape did gotten caught in a awkward moment when the barn cat asked her why she doesn't hang out with other cats much, but yet hang out with dogs a lot, just to paraphrase what the barn cat said in the farm arc. So, that's a good reference point there. The idea of being known as a "dog lover" and possibly being teased would scare Grape. So yeah I would understand why she was afraid of speaking out. Not that it will happen of course.
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Barkeron wrote:
valerio wrote: And to those who asked 'What about Max?'. Well, she started dating Max not out of affection, but because she felt a pang of 'species-consciousness' after the barn cat talked to her. For all we know, it still stands that Grape was afraid of speaking out her feelings for Peanut.

Come to think of it, Grape did gotten caught in a awkward moment when the barn cat asked her why she doesn't hang out with other cats much, but yet hang out with dogs a lot, just to paraphrase what the barn cat said in the farm arc. So, that's a good reference point there. The idea of being known as a "dog lover" and possibly being teased would scare Grape. So yeah I would understand why she was afraid of speaking out. Not that it will happen of course.
I don't think Grape would be scared as she is afraid for Peanut. If you recall Grape is very capable of handling herself, as seen way and I mean WAY BACK in the comic when it was still black and white. It was when Peanut lost the game (You guys just LOST THE GAME) and went crying about it to Grape. Who then went to Bino and his gang and told them to leave Peanut alone and that she did not plat The Game (You guys lost The Game again.) It was at that point she climbed up a tree which Bino and his gang chopped down right on top of themselves. And I'm pretty sure she said she does not care about what those dogs think of her or say. And the cats would not care eather because of how they treat Joey...need I say more?
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Even though she was caught in a awkward moment, that wouldn't really mean she was a dog lover and dated Max because of it.

It might've most certainly worried her what people might've been thinking about her though and decided to date Max early on to help ease things though, but in retrospec, you get Peanut's situation. Whenever she clued in about Peanut's crush (and i also believe it was when Tarot arrived) i'm sure up until now she thought of it as a minor thing, giving Tarot being Peanut's girlfriend and all. I have my doubts she'll change her mind, but then again, that depends on how Peanut will react.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Forgive me if I missed someone saying this, but has anyone considered the idea that Peanut will attempt to go into denial? (Not that that would work, but still....)

After all, he kept writing in his Spot (Superdog) comic that the title character's girlfriend was "not a cat," even though it was obvious that she WAS a cat....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

With what happened back at the Cat Tail arc, it's a good chance he'll try something like that. I bet the Taboo that he got back then really affected him at first to try denying every aspect of that, but being confronted by Grape... i wonder if he did do that, how far would he deny it?
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

ChewyChewy wrote:Forgive me if I missed someone saying this, but has anyone considered the idea that Peanut will attempt to go into denial? (Not that that would work, but still....)
That's one option Peanut can use. Will it work? Probably not.. But its worth seeing it. Peanut is attractive to features of a cat but does that really make him a "cat lover?" Hmmmm...
valerio

Post by valerio »

Peanut's most definitely in love with Grape (see the 'farm arc'). He also decided, since it appeared she would try a relationship with Max, to help her in that direction despite the fact that it would break his heart... For a while it seemed to work, but the recent events sparkled his jealousy and led him to now...
If he went all denial, man, what a waste! I mean, Rick has always done a great job with plots, but to build up this tension to end up in nothing...
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

While I could see Peanut trying to backpedal, given what he knows of Grape's opinion about interspecies romance (and the fact that he didn't think she knew about how he felt), Grape would be certain to see through his denials; she's not stupid, and she's closer to him than anyone. It wouldn't do him any good.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Sinder wrote:While I could see Peanut trying to backpedal, given what he knows of Grape's opinion about interspecies romance (and the fact that he didn't think she knew about how he felt), Grape would be certain to see through his denials; she's not stupid, and she's closer to him than anyone. It wouldn't do him any good.
True--but I wonder if she might pretend, for his sake.... I don't know if that's something Grape would do, though....

It's hard waiting for the next update, after one like this.... :oops:
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Besides that, such a case wouldn't move either of them forward; they'd be stuck in the same place as before. "Oh, okay then, my mistake, I'll just go back to my boyfriend while you keep up your bizarre pattern of passive-aggressive manic-depressive behavior and continue to stare blankly whenever I say the words 'PILLOW FIGHT'."
ImageImage
ImageImage
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

ChewyChewy wrote: It's hard waiting for the next update, after one like this.... :oops:
This. Just this...
no longer active, sorry
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Sinder wrote:While I could see Peanut trying to backpedal, given what he knows of Grape's opinion about interspecies romance (and the fact that he didn't think she knew about how he felt), Grape would be certain to see through his denials; she's not stupid, and she's closer to him than anyone. It wouldn't do him any good.

True. Peanut will only back himself into a corner and dead end if he tried to do that. Peanut's only way out would be just to tell Grape, yes I have a crush on you and hope this thing will blow over, even though I don't see that happening just yet.