What's Your Country Like?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Alex

Re: What's Your Country Like?

Post by Alex »

Retinq wrote:@Alex: Until you said where you live, i could have sworn you live in Hungary. XD

Hungary. It's a sinking ship. The most common advice you can hear is: "Leave as soon as you can."

The best way to describe the government after 1989 is what our former prime minister said: "We've screwed it up. We lied all along these four years." Yes, we knew it. >:( People elect those who they think would cause less harm. After '89 every single company that belonged to the state, has been sold to foreigner companies, they closed them and things gone bad. Hungary lost most of it's market, especially Russia.

Laws are following the western pattern, or at least are starting to, and that's intimidating, because the place most people come back from is America. The reason is that people like (real) freedom. At least they want to be as free as they can. :/

People...well, they are greedy, selfish, hate everyone and everything. (yet, they don't...unite or something and stand up for themselves to make things better) You won't notice it unless you live here. You literally have to screw everything to the ground if you don't want it to be stolen. "When you go abroad, don't work for hungarians." Really, if you are hungarian, you shouldn't, because you will be ripped off. Kids have been mugged in front of my school, in daylight!Law enforcement is ineffective, the army technically doesn't exist, they are selling armored cars (yes,APC's!) for 800000 forints, about 4000$.

Education is above average (but it has got financial problems, of course, like everything), thinking is encouraged, that's why hungarians are welcome abroad. (Also, most people here work more than legally possible.)

Good things made or done here are really great, as long as they last. Those things are doomed, no matter what.
Anything good I could mention about this country no longer does exist, or only found interesting by tourists. The once so great industry is dead,its remains are owned by German companies. Agriculture is dying. Most Hungarian inventors are jews who managed to get away from here. Good for them.

Oh yeah, the land is just excellent. Rich in resources and beatiful...yet. being in the center of europe would be a great commercial advantage. WOULD be. Geothermic power plants could be built almost everywhere, and People say that Hungary could supply whole Europe with energy. Before '89 the biggest aluminium exporter in Europe.

I Could continue all day, but i guess it's enough for now. Oh, I was all about economy! I didn't even notice it :D Ugh, this would look better as a list.
I want to go to Russia. Africa would be nice, but I'm not sure about that. I just want to avoid Europe and America at all costs. Woops, too much, i'll re-edit it later ...again. This is one messy post. I'm not proud of it. :oops:
Wow, it's the same as Bosnia. Except the part about energy supply, I think. Sure, Bosnia has really a lot of resources, especially when it comes to wood and mines. And water. We could be the number 1 water exporter in the world. But then again, could be. No-one wants to exploit it.
America -->
$14 Trillion of Dept.
"Aren't we awesome"
That's really bad. But the question here is do you feel it? Sure, some prices probably went up, but that's all there's in for you, right? Doesn't make big of a change. Also, your country is probably working towards returning the dept.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

The stuff in Bali is expensive! Perhaps not to the foreigners, but it is to me, who lives in a different part of Indonesia. 55¢ (US$) for a small cup of instant noodle? That's insane! Korean cup noodles costs around 1 dollar, though that is more justified than a locally made cup noodle costing more than 34¢!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Alex wrote:
America -->
$14 Trillion of Dept.
"Aren't we awesome"
That's really bad. But the question here is do you feel it? Sure, some prices probably went up, but that's all there's in for you, right? Doesn't make big of a change. Also, your country is probably working towards returning the dept.
Actually our country's idea of paying off the debt is to print more money. It's a miracle we don't feel the effects of this more than we do, really. The really fun part is when you add up all the money they owe for Social Security, Medicare, etc. This is money they have promised to give people when they retire or fall under certain categories. Since it's not owed yet, it doesn't get officially calculated, but it's a lot (lots more trillions) and there really is no money there to give (we have negative 14 trillion dollars after all :lol: ).
Even with all that, we're somehow still pretty much the best country to come to for a better way of life. :| Because, like you said, we don't really feel that much change. The dollar hasn't inflated a ridiculous amount even in comparison to other countries' money. It's rather astonishing, I believe. End rant on the gov't

America is big. And it has a little bit of everything. Drop in and say hi sometime.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's make sure to keep politics out of this discussion.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Anthroguy101

Factoids

Post by Anthroguy101 »

My country is south of Canada and north of Mexico. Our main custom and ritual is thinking that we're better than everyone else at everything. Whether or not that really is the case is a constant squabble we have amongst ourselves.

The people in this land used to have the desire to flee from cities, but that trend is reversing and people are starting to move back to them. Urban renewal is making the city life seem more appealing. People also want to live closer to their jobs. Small towns have generally been declining, and Warren is a perfect example of that.

"Small is the new big" is the latest trend in housing, as an increasing number of empty-nesters no longer feel the need to have a large number of bedrooms and space.
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Every stereotype made about Colombia is true, it's all true, the narcs, the gangs, the thieves, IT'S ALL TRUE!!!
Someone please get me out of here :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sent from my conifer.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Hmm *Looks at above post* 25th May...

Well, it has been quite a while since the last post and since there are much more members here now than back then I thought that I should bring this back and see how this goes.

I live in Britain, and despite what other people in my country might think conditions are far better here than almost anywhere else in the world. Britain is the most secular country in the world as well as one of the most tolerant, despite the economic crisis the country continues to tick over without many changes (except the rise of the cost of living but not much else), and since the British are a do-nothing-until-it-is-too-late people we tend to enjoy what we have while it lasts (and looking at how much Britain spends it is remarkable how long it has kept hold of so much wealth).

Apart from that the British constantly complain about the weather (its our national pass-time :lol: ), we can not take much in the way of heat (more than 25 degrees is sunstoke territory :lol: ), and we are also great lovers of comedy (I myself have an extensive collection of comedies, but I am not much of a comedian though). We also have an extensive history; the country (albeit the United Kingdom) is over a thousand years old, there is a lot of history surrounding the empire, the monarchy, WWII, the rise of industry, and the creation of democracy in Britain.

That is all that comes to mind right now, so...

What's Your Country Like?
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

I live in Nashville Tn. Everyone here is either ghetto, or a wanna be gangster. At school if people aren't fighting theyre arguing constantly. And it's only the girls! Why is that!? But they somehow still get good grades.
Tennessee is still a nice place to live in though.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I live in sweden.

Sweden is awesome.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Medli

Post by Medli »

Germany is a country of a dying culture. You'll barely find someone capable of reading well, nor will you ever really find someone who knows who Goethe was, or Schiller. I mean seriously, we once were the "country of poets and thinkers", now we are a country where you'll have to search hard to find either one. Stage theatre keeps dying slowly too, which is a shame, but I think that is happening in the whole world. Bleh.

Otherwise, it's fine I guess except for them usual corrupt politicians and such.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

WE ALL DRINK TEA AND WEAR BOWLER HATS. Nah just messing with yah~

England's a pretty boring place to live...I live in a town where next to nothing happens, we have "gangs" but their fights are absolutely amazing to watch, a little guy will stroll in and start to spit and scream swear words then the other little guy will be all like "HOLD ME BACK" and his mates will hold him back and they don't really make any contact at all really .-.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
1boredcanadian

Post by 1boredcanadian »

Great mountains and prairies. Sadly we have two types of weather, snow and construction. Welcome to Ontario and enjoy your stay. B.C. is much better, with the mountains and the ocean. I think people might know where I am. :D

I wish I was in Miami again. Snow make me depressed, until I find a snowmobile. :D
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

1boredcanadian wrote:Great mountains and prairies. Sadly we have two types of weather, snow and construction. Welcome to Ontario and enjoy your stay. B.C. is much better, with the mountains and the ocean. I think people might know where I am. :D

I wish I was in Miami again. Snow make me depressed, until I find a snowmobile. :D

Are you Russian?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Judging by his name and mentions of Ontario and B.C. (British Columbia), he's presumably Canadian.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I lve in Brazil. It's a nice country. Too bad I can't say the same about the administration, but as the mods said, I can't get into politics. So that's pretty much it I can say about my country.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Mettlebird
Location: I heard a lot of shouting and stuff, then I got shoved into a car. Where to this time?

Post by Mettlebird »

Well, I live in America, and I like it, but my dream is to live in the French Alps in a ranch just below the foothills near a forest. Preferably with a babbling brook nearby. BUT I REFUSE TO LEARN FRENCH. (Well, at least right now I do, I had a hard enough time with Latin >.>)
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

yehoshua wrote:Every stereotype made about Colombia is true, it's all true, the narcs, the gangs, the thieves, IT'S ALL TRUE!!!
Someone please get me out of here :cry: :cry: :cry:
We shall move to the glorious, peaceful land of Canada... or Alaska.
I like Alaska. I heard there's a lot of job opportunities there.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Aerroxosity

Post by Aerroxosity »

I live in America, Tennessee to be exact, pretty boring place, nothing to do except go to Wal-mart or the mall. There are way too many trees (for me at least)
Utah was alot better with the entertainment part, there are also gangs and more gangs and a little more other then that nothing really, there's not even a water slide close (at least where I live)
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

The U.S. is so different depending on where you are.
Michigan- The south is populated by people and is mostly urban/suburban areas. The north part of the mitten and north peninsula is mostly populated by trees. Traverse City is a nice place with cherry groves. Also, if you're from northern Michigan, the lake water is never to cold to swim in.
Ohio= People seem nice, but they really just don't care.
Minnesota- Nice people who know how to have fun.
Wisconsin- Almost as many old people as Florida.
Iowa- Corn
Montana- People here are kind, but also depressed, lots and lots of nothing.
Idaho- Best potatoes in the world, lots of nice mountains, everything is run down.
Oregon- Hippies.
South Carolina and Georgia- Southern folk and southern stuff.
New Mexico- Lots of art.
Ive been to almost every part but I'm to lazy to give detail on all of them.
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Its hard to ask me what "my country" is like since I've been to so many places that
I don't feel like I belong in any particular country.
Instead I'll just say how the country is I'm in now:
France, it has a beautiful landscape, a country with people of many different opinions,
but everybody has one thing in common: they talk too much (no offense >.# ).
The social service is a [/censored], after two and a half years my family still have no rites...
The south can be very hot in summer and half of autumn, and then suddenly, one night after
it has been baking, it freezes! And is cold there after.
The mountains are spectacular when all the trees on them become red... its difficult
to capture the beauty of glowing red mountains...
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
1boredcanadian

Post by 1boredcanadian »

Sleet wrote:Judging by his name and mentions of Ontario and B.C. (British Columbia), he's presumably Canadian.
We have a Winnar! Walk up to the window and collect your prize! :D
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Kansas City has barbecue. Lots and lots of barbecue. If you like barbecue, then you will love Kansas City.
This message brought to you by VisitKC.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Somebody actually posted here? I thought this thread would be dead for good, perhaps some of our newest members have something to say about their own country(s)?
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I'm from Malaysia *points to the left*

The two things about Malaysians that I can say with confidence is that we love to eat and we are very critical of sports.

About the eating thing, it is true that when Malaysians meet, the first question that they will most likely to ask each other is "Sudah makan?" (Have you eaten?). And with the amazing array and variety of foods around here from every culture that ever came here, there's no shortage on new things to try and tuck in. This is also the reason why Malaysia is ranked second in South East Asia for the country with the highest number of diabetics *facepaw*

The sports thing, well... There's a lot of social, racial and religious disputes and spats among the multicultural society here, but if there's one thing that everyone can agree on, it's that we take the performance of our sports teams very seriously. We cherish the national athletes that managed to win a championship or a trophy or something, and we would harshly (and I do mean harshly!) criticize those who failed to meet up to the expectations.

To be more specific, I come from Sabah, the Land Below the Wind (named so because whatever storms or hurricanes that hit the Phillipines, Sabah will surely experience at least a bit of them). There's a lot of Australian tourists here for some reason, and even more immigrants, that it is widely believed that there are more 'foreigners' here than locals. And that almost everyone here are mixed breeds ... I mean heritages. Cross-cultural marriage is common here, even couples with different religious beliefs. I myself is a mixture of the Kadazan, Bajau, Orang Sungai (native tribes of Sabah), Melayu Brunei (descended from the Bruneian Sultanates, if my grandma is to be believed) and Chinese ethnicities.

Oh, and if you love nature and a whole lot of rainforests, Sabah would be a haven for you.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
RioluNation

Yo dawg, I heard you're from Kansas.

Post by RioluNation »

I don't know where to put this....

Anyway, I noticed that a couple of you are saying you're from Kansas and should band together. Well, you have my attention. Let's talk.
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Re: Yo dawg, I heard you're from Kansas.

Post by CaptainPea »

Gary (from RFHP!) wrote:I don't know where to put this....

Anyway, I noticed that a couple of you are saying you're from Kansas and should band together. Well, you have my attention. Let's talk.
I thought this seemed like a reasonable enough place for this.

I'm not from Kansas.
Image Image

Post by 0404 »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:full of fat people... and idiots (U.S.A.)
:o :o :o :o :lol: :cry: :cry: :x :x
Senator_Sunburst wrote:My country, Texas, is the best country.

But seriously, Texas is awesome.
I seconded that!
I miss texas, tho, I don't have much memories about it... :cry:

my Province: snowy snowy snowy, really boring and snowy.
Last edited by 0404 on Thu May 03, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Yay, the thread has been revived... again!
You know, this thread does not strictly have to be about the country from which you were born and raised, posting about different countries and / or societies you have visited or experienced will also be welcome here as well. And it doesn't have to be a generalisation about a specific country or society as a whole, you could also post about the local area you have lived in or visited; local traditions, folklore, and history would be welcome too as well as pretty much anything else that comes to mind.
I hope to see more posts about the world beyond the borders of Britain. :)
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

South Carolina (the part I live in) is stupid hot from May through September which is also the rainy season.
Few people here know how drive and traffic is always backed up.
Instead of a southern accent here it's mostly just widespread poor English.
However, people are usually friendly and if you greet someone from here you'll usually get a kind response.
Something else I noticed; people here wear bright colored formal clothes (like red yellow pink ect..) instead of black, grey or white.
ZambieHugger

Post by ZambieHugger »

America, Washington.

We live in a self sustained country, meaning nobody likes to communicate with one another. Everyone here hates one another, and we're filled to the brim with Racism, the laws are rediculous, and we're supposed to be free.

Nobody here can live soundly on account of how dangerous a good number of the neighborhoods are, yet it doesn't seem like the police are doing much about it. People go missing, take their own life, or commit arson, and nobody seems to care.

I wish I lived in Mexico...
I live in a world managed by children, whenever they don't get what they want, they yell and scream.
Insanity is just a name, crazy a color, and psychopaths a person.
Secretly...I am Batman.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think the police are exactly any more involved in Mexico.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The police do the best they can to investigate and resolve reported crimes. They are often hampered because many people invest in a "culture of silence" and refuse to cooperate.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Liam

Post by Liam »

Try Canada instead, Zambie.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.

Post by 0404 »

texascat018 wrote:my Province: snowy snowy snowy, really boring and snowy.
I think I have to be more detail than that.

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. aka Winterpeg or armpit of Canada.
this city got real hursh and long winter, the Winter starts from October and ends at March. my teacher said he use to have snowy hallowen before global warming.

everyone here isn't mean but also not that kind, but once you know'em they are nice.
city here is a multicultural city, no one seems to be racist, even a prankster in school knows how to respect other cultures.
nothing much happens, sometimes just small convetin or big sports game.
guys here like football and hockey, but never a baseball.

no amusment park, no big mall, no subway staion, no Kangaroos, no good school edu support comparing to other city.
lots of gangs around at northend, becuse of bad goverment system toward aboriginals.

it's home-town of winnie the pooh,

@ZambieHugger: you can have some relaxingly boring time here.
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

Well England is okay to a degree but I just think it is too boring. Nothing interesting ever happens around here...EVER. All the good stuff is made in America or Japan...or well anywhere else. We do have one of the best climates for our position though. everywhere else on our latitude is a block of ice. Thank you Gulf stream!

The most interesting thing happening around here, the olympics. Hey instead of spending our money on making jobs to lower unemployment and make our country good again lets spend it on a structure we will probably tear down once it has been used. *Scathe*

The police are useless of course and the educational system is failing horribly. I know of a 17 year old boy who had to be explained what a herbivore was using small words and lots of patience.

Fish and chips is amazing. That is all.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I wouldn't recommend driving around on a Sunday. We almost got into four separate accidents within an hour total of driving between stores and restaurants. And a hospital. :V
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Wolfy wrote:We do have one of the best climates for our position though.
The weather today has spoken for itself, it feels like Noah's about to pass by. In my opinion, English weather goes through extremes more now than it has ever before. We get scorching sun, torrential downpour or thick snow more times than we get overcast days.
Wolfy wrote:Fish and chips is amazing. That is all.
And second, fish and chips IS amazing

Post by 0404 »

ya'll texans, I need help.
I'm going to visit Dallas and Huston this summer, and I want to visit many good places to visit much as possible in 2 week. I'll be staying with my uncle but he doesn't have enough time to guide me through Texas.
I'm planing on visitng NASA, UofA, Six flag,zoo, and parks. but I think I can visit more places than that. Any recommendation?
seriously I haven't been to Texas for decade.
Last edited by 0404 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

We wear cowboy hats and eat burgers all day.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

We also are all fat and stupid.