So many MORE questions...

Discuss the comic here
Keeshah
Game Master

So many MORE questions...

Post by Keeshah »

#1, Do pets have a special food they should eat? (Purina pet chow),
or are they just fed human food from the table?

#1a, are they still carnivores or omnivores now?

#2, Are the pets completely color blind (only see gray scale), can see most colors, or can see any color a human can?

#2a, It would seem if there was colors or color combinations that pets couldn't see, it would be used by the humans to pet proof computers an pda's from pets prying eyes, by setting the monitors to display in the text in those colors undetectable by the pets eyes. (like green text on a black background).

#3, How old do the pets live on avg. now?

#4, Is Sargent Ralph's rank honorary? or can he command lower ranking police dogs? lower ranking human officers??

#5, are we going to meet any fire dog pets? to go along with the police dogs?
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Re: So many MORE questions...

Post by rickgriffin »

Keeshah wrote:#1, Do pets have a special food they should eat? (Purina pet chow),
or are they just fed human food from the table?
Yes, they do have special food, mainly because animal diets can vary widely from human diets, and also they can get away with sending off lower quality food to animals.
#1a, are they still carnivores or omnivores now?
Still carnivores, though they might more often eat plant matter that they are able to digest for various reasons (such as tea and not-chocolate)
#2, Are the pets completely color blind (only see gray scale), can see most colors, or can see any color a human can?
Animals do NOT normally see in grayscale, this is a misconception: they have color cones in their eyes, but usually just two as opposed to the three for humans. Because for various reasons I need my pets to be able to see all colors, they are not fully colorblind but are color-deficient, so dogs will see reds in a much less saturated form.
#2a, It would seem if there was colors or color combinations that pets couldn't see, it would be used by the humans to pet proof computers an pda's from pets prying eyes, by setting the monitors to display in the text in those colors undetectable by the pets eyes. (like green text on a black background).
That's not a question, professor! </Simpsons>
#3, How old do the pets live on avg. now?
Pets live twice as long as usual. This is not just arbitrary: it's apparently been shown that there is a correlation between the height of an animal's head off the ground and its average lifespan.
#4, Is Sargent Ralph's rank honorary? or can he command lower ranking police dogs? lower ranking human officers??
It's a real rank, but dog rankings are always lower than human rankings. As a Sergeant, he is expected to be able to work autonomously, but he is still required to obey orders from human officers.
Don't make me regret not putting a Dalmatian in after the Easter Egg Hunt conclusion.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

That's not a question, professor! </Simpsons>
Frak.. what is asking better jeopardy questions? alex.
Don't make me regret not putting a Dalmatian in after the Easter Egg Hunt conclusion.[/quote]

Well, a fire dog wouldn't actually be fighting a fire, fur tends to be highly combustible.

they would more be doing...
Riding on the engine, directing traffic an people away from a fire zone, comforting victims, helping the medics, search an rescue, investigating the cause after the fire is out,
teaching fire safety.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

an Baths!

Fire dogs would have to like, or tolerate getting a lot of baths.
else they would always be smelling of soot an smoke.
merkamerka

Post by merkamerka »

why didn't you just add this into the last thread you had made?...

Also about the "science" question. No that's impossible, you can't see any refraction of light on a object as far as color, and your retina can't pick it up and perceive it then you just see black and white at different temperatures. If you CAN see color from the refraction of light for an object than you can see every color that light creates, unless you have brain damage or something. IE- Rick and color cones, and all this talk and what.

So no, that's impossible.

Also rick, that's just silly. Why would animals live less for their heads being closer to the ground to them being farther. Death isn't brought about by that... Infact that's sad, that means they only live till they're like 30 :<, I would never want a pet then because 1- they're like kids and you don't want your child to die when they're like 30, and 2- Just Dx.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bootylicious

Bootylicious- It's in the dictionary.

GOD DURNIT, STOP run a marathon ME AWF!!!
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

merkamerka wrote:why didn't you just add this into the last thread you had made?...

I didn't know if Rick was following old threads...

Also rick, that's just silly. Why would animals live less for their heads being closer to the ground to them being farther. Death isn't brought about by that... Infact that's sad, that means they only live till they're like 30 :<, I would never want a pet then because 1- they're like kids and you don't want your child to die when they're like 30, and 2- Just Dx.

There new to genetic engineering, cut an pasting DNA sequences to make new hybred critters.
given time there life spans would incress, as natural selection figtures in..breeding longer lived pets together.
Last edited by Keeshah on Wed May 20, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Silly or not, it's a fair correlation. Compare how long an elephant lives compared to a lion compared to a domestic cat compared to a mouse. As they get smaller and their heads get closer to the ground, their length of life is lesser.
Though to be honest it's not really the distance of their head from the ground and Rick did specify that it's a correlation not a causal relationship. Death is obviously not caused by having a low head. I'm sure giant turtles with their really low heads live a lot longer than a human. It's more their heart rate, isn't it? Animals with higher heart rates have a shorter lifespan. Something about the heart wearing faster, so stopping sooner and whatnot.

...Now I'm curious as to how long an average giraffe lifespan is.

Anyway yeah after all that pretending that I know everything I'm going to have to say that that's pretty much what I thought in regard to the K-9 unit ranks. |3
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
merkamerka

Post by merkamerka »

Ebly wrote:Silly or not, it's a fair correlation. Compare how long an elephant lives compared to a lion compared to a domestic cat compared to a mouse. As they get smaller and their heads get closer to the ground, their length of life is lesser.
Though to be honest it's not really the distance of their head from the ground and Rick did specify that it's a correlation not a causal relationship. Death is obviously not caused by having a low head. I'm sure giant turtles with their really low heads live a lot longer than a human. It's more their heart rate, isn't it? Animals with higher heart rates have a shorter lifespan. Something about the heart wearing faster, so stopping sooner and whatnot.

Anyway yeah after all that pretending that I know everything I'm going to have to say that that's pretty much what I thought in regard to the K-9 unit ranks. |3
The head to ground thing is just dumb =/ I'm not going to sugar coat it.

There new to genetic engineering, cut an pasting DNA sequences to make new hybred critters.
given time there life spans would incress, as natural selection figtures in..breeding lover lived pets together.
You can't cut and paste a DNA sequence, you'll just make a blob of cells, or give someone cancer, it's inevitably hard. But meh, webcomic.

Rick I remember you answering this question before, but I don't remember how you answered it, nor am I in the mood to look it up because I'm 80% sure it wasn't this. Where did the pets come from? normal evolution?

rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

The pets are natural to the world.
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

rickgriffin wrote:The pets are natural to the world.

Ok Wow... naturally occurring, multiple co-existing intelligent races all on one world...

(new achievement unlocked - peaceful co-habitation)

Wow... that made me mentally stutter, an brings up a really big question..

How did the dominate species manage to keep from wiping out the other less advanced races through out their history, to get to this point!??

I had assumed that the humans created, up-lifted, genetically altered the lower species..
I epic failed at assumptions this time...

slinks off to pick his jaw up off the floor an ponder this...
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

You can't cut and paste a DNA sequence, you'll just make a blob of cells, or give someone cancer, it's inevitably hard.

Actually that is how bio-engineering is done.. ( altho the term "cut an paste" IS very over simplistic, of what actually goes on.)

Glow-in-the-dark-dogs, created using a gene for a squid.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... c-dog.html

human-pig hybrids
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandte ... ahead.html

Chimeras
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... meras.html

Bio-corn, Bio-soybeans ect. all have had other plants genes added to theirs to create a new plant with the attributes of the donator plant.
merkamerka

Post by merkamerka »

1- You can't create a chimera because you'de get a blob of cells, not lying and not trying to be mean, but that or a dead animal.

2- The glowing animals only show the glow from special lights, and that's because they get the GENE of a jelly fish and put it inside the sperm(I think) or egg, which is messing with the cell itself, not the DNA.

3- Man Bear Pig does not exist my kind sir.

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I only really have one question at this point but I might think of more later or something.

How do pets learn? Is there a formal education system (or equivalent of) for pets, similar to human children? You said obedience school was more like boot camp so that's out of the question. Perhaps though, they learn implicitly from social and cultural influences rather than explicitly from a textbook? Anyway yeah that's my question.

You know for a fun little webcomic the whole Housepets world is really being expanded on and developed a lot, isn't it?
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

question moved from picture comments..

Valerio says:
May 25, 2009 at 6:00 am

Speaking of pet rights, I’m seriously concerned about a detail amongst all: are dogs abandoned in this world as well? And if so, are they terminated after a certain amount of time in the pound?
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Keeshah wrote: Speaking of pet rights, I’m seriously concerned about a detail amongst all: are dogs abandoned in this world as well? And if so, are they terminated after a certain amount of time in the pound?
Grape was rescued from a shelter so I figure it works the same for dogs, and no comment
valerio

abandoned dogs?

Post by valerio »

Dire questions here: are dogs abandoned in this world as if in ours? If so, are they terminated after a time spent in the pound?
Abandoned dogs can testify in court against their (vile) owners? Can they choose a new family by themselves?
Last edited by rickgriffin on Mon May 25, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged, please check for existing threads
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Yes, dogs can testify against their owners, though they often need another human or several more animals to back them up. No, pets cannot choose a new family as it is the family's decision on whether or not to take in a particular pet.
valerio

Post by valerio »

is the pet supposed to have a chanche to make a choice for his adoption, since he was actually betrayed by those who were supposed to take care of him/her in the first place? For example, if the pet is capable to express his/her mistrust over the future new owners, shouldn't he/se be listened to?
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

valerio wrote:is the pet supposed to have a chanche to make a choice for his adoption, since he was actually betrayed by those who were supposed to take care of him/her in the first place? For example, if the pet is capable to express his/her mistrust over the future new owners, shouldn't he/se be listened to?
Well, to the extent that a pet could, if they wanted to, show their distrust by behaving poorly and causing the family to not want them, but if they do it too much they may end up in a shelter.
valerio

Post by valerio »

So, we must consider that pets have literally no voice in the process of adoption, if we're talking about full-grown individuals. Their only chance is getting filed for bad behavior if they end up in the wron hands.
Now, there's something useful PETA could do instead of 'rescuing' those who are happily set already.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Well I have mentioned before, it's the kind of thing that the ASPCA (and the Humane Society) do
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

questions up-dated below
Last edited by Keeshah on Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Hmm, I believe that throughout the millennia, humans raised and selectioned food animals (cattle, poultry, pigs, sheep) as to stay 'regressed' respect to their companions and other more developed life forms.
I also think, Rick correct me if I'm wrong, that for some time medical experiments are no longer forced upon sentient animals (again, unless we're talking about 'regressed' species).
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

valerio wrote:Hmm, I believe that throughout the millennia, humans raised and selectioned food animals (cattle, poultry, pigs, sheep) as to stay 'regressed' respect to their companions and other more developed life forms.
I also think, Rick correct me if I'm wrong, that for some time medical experiments are no longer forced upon sentient animals (again, unless we're talking about 'regressed' species).

I took Rick's reply "All mammals, reptiles and birds. Some larger fish are (sharks), only pawwed mammals are bipedal."
To mean, there all sentient an possibly can talk as well, but other than that there just a normal animal. (Mr. Ed, the talking horse is a great example here). Heeeeey Wilber.. how about opening this stall door?

An the mammal's with paws, now stand up, an walk on there hind legs, an have manipulative tool using hands now.
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

rickgriffin wrote:
valerio wrote:is the pet supposed to have a chanche to make a choice for his adoption, since he was actually betrayed by those who were supposed to take care of him/her in the first place? For example, if the pet is capable to express his/her mistrust over the future new owners, shouldn't he/se be listened to?
Well, to the extent that a pet could, if they wanted to, show their distrust by behaving poorly and causing the family to not want them, but if they do it too much they may end up in a shelter.

Or they could just up an run away, as we just seen in the comic..
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

Ebly wrote:Silly or not, it's a fair correlation. Compare how long an elephant lives compared to a lion compared to a domestic cat compared to a mouse. As they get smaller and their heads get closer to the ground, their length of life is lesser.

I'm not sure the correlation works so well. Elephants and giraffes are both much taller than humans but I don't think either live as long. On the other hand some tortoises and other reptiles are known to live much longer than humans do even though they are smaller. I suppose 30 to 40 years of age (or longer in some cases) might work, it means you'd likely only need to readopt once in a lifetime, perhaps twice if something unforseen happened. Still, that would make the emotional ties even stronger and the death perhaps crueler.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Keeshah
Game Master

life lines..

Post by Keeshah »

In the 1300 an 1400 hundreds, the avg human life expectancy was just 22 years old.
now in 2009 the avg. human life expectancy is pushing 80 to 90 years.

So in 600 years human life expectancy has quadrupled.

We know that the animals naturally became self-aware and intelligent, but we don't know how long ago this happened. but still, they have doubled there avg life spans.

Pets also appear to grow-up an learn a whole lot faster than human kids do..

I wonder how old Fido is?
He appears to have a collage level criminology training, to be able to quote legal decisions like he did.
Keeshah
Game Master

So many MORE " new an improved " questions..!!

Post by Keeshah »

"Ebly" scribbled...
I only really have one question at this point but I might think of more later or something.

How do pets learn? Is there a formal education system (or equivalent of) for pets, similar to human children? You said obedience school was more like boot camp so that's out of the question. Perhaps though, they learn implicitly from social and cultural influences rather than explicitly from a textbook? Anyway yeah that's my question.
My guess would be, they would learn how to speak, appropriate behavior for a pet, an how to interact with humans, from there natural animal parents. supplemented with training from there owners. altho there might be a puppy school, for more advance training, if there owners wished to enroll them in it. I'm sure Rick will expand on this..

New question 1,
How fast do pets grow-up, an learn?

New question 2,
For how long now have the pets been self aware an sentient?

new question 3,
Can a pets owner have their pets spayed or neutered, if they wished?

new question 4,
Are there purebred blue blood, Showdogs an Showcats? that compete in the dog an cat show rings, earning points twords there championship titles?

Going back to an old question..
Are all the animals in this world morphic/simi-morphic an sentient?
it seems all the ferals we have met so far are, (the rats/mice, an raccoons).
As well as all the Zoo animals.

All mammals, reptiles and birds. Some larger fish are (sharks), only pawwed mammals are bipedal.
would that mean farm animals know, or suspect that their being raised AS food? or does it come as a surprise when there lead into the slaughterhouse??

edit. quote tags fixed.. (sorry, my bad.)
edit2, removed colors that were causing confusion. ( I fail at posting it seems)
Last edited by Keeshah on Fri May 29, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indagare

Re: life lines..

Post by Indagare »

Keeshah wrote:In the 1300 an 1400 hundreds, the avg human life expectancy was just 22 years old.
now in 2009 the avg. human life expectancy is pushing 80 to 90 years.

So in 600 years human life expectancy has quadrupled.

We know that the animals naturally became self-aware and intelligent, but we don't know how long ago this happened. but still, they have doubled there avg life spans.

Pets also appear to grow-up an learn a whole lot faster than human kids do..

I wonder how old Fido is?
He appears to have a collage level criminology training, to be able to quote legal decisions like he did.
Actually while people seem to be living longer the actual genetics haven't changed all that much. Humans 600 years ago were capable of living as long as we are, however there was a lot of poor nutrition, disease, war, and other factors that kept humans from living very long. The sum length of life - how old something could get - is in the genes. Whether that creature lives to that length is a different matter.
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Indagare wrote:
Actually while people seem to be living longer the actual genetics haven't changed all that much. Humans 600 years ago were capable of living as long as we are, however there was a lot of poor nutrition, disease, war, and other factors that kept humans from living very long. The sum length of life - how old something could get - is in the genes. Whether that creature lives to that length is a different matter.

I see..
I agree the quality of medical care, the quality an availability of food has improved, as well now knowing how to prevent disease outbreaks.
The pets do now have the advantage is saying something when there sick, or feeling bad/strangely, or have been injured.
Which will help them live longer.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Or we could just say pets live to about 40 maximum or so. 1 Human year = 2.5 Pet years. Makes sense. Just as humans don't live to 100 normally, pets won't normally live to 40. I'd guess they'd normally live to about 32-36 (80-90, in pet years).
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Indagare wrote:

I'm not sure the correlation works so well. Elephants and giraffes are both much taller than humans but I don't think either live as long. On the other hand some tortoises and other reptiles are known to live much longer than humans do even though they are smaller. I suppose 30 to 40 years of age (or longer in some cases) might work, it means you'd likely only need to readopt once in a lifetime, perhaps twice if something unforseen happened. Still, that would make the emotional ties even stronger and the death perhaps crueler.
Yeah, smart Ebly opened his... fingers before actually looking stuff up. Still, as I also mentioned in that post, I've always understood length of life to be more tied to the heart rate than something like size or... I dunno, hair length.

Keesh even though you fixed it that post with all the red is still incredibly confusing to me. U: But overall I think I get it.
Anyway more on life expectancy, it's a bit... well, I have to say it's a bit weird to generalize it to the world like you did. I can certainly say that life expectancy at birth (i.e. not counting abortion/miscarriage) is a lot less than 80 years for the world on the whole. In America alone (note that America is not the whole world), in 2008, the life expectancy at birth was 77.5-80 years. Even then that's the whole of America averaged and isn't counting other variables as race, socioeconomics, disability/disease...
The countries Angola and Zambia, on the other hand, both have average life expectancies of less than 40 years. According to the UN estimates, the life expectancy for Swaziland is about 39 years - the CIA claims 32.
askdfgl i was actually going to include maps with the countries categorized by average life expectancy but that really really really would be going too far
anyway average life expectancy for the word - in 2008 CIA said 66.3 years and UN said 67.2 years. But to be fair UN only includes countries that had more than 100,000 people as of 2007

anyway yeah this is completely deviating from the point and i barely know why i care to be so specific. what Indagare said was right, I think, but I can't know for sure but that doesn't really matter to me because unless I see empirical evidence suggesting something different I'm going with that.
Another point to make is that animals and humans can't communicate in the real world. We can't understand what they're going on about at any one point, so we can't feed them right when they want it or need it and we can't, all in all, provide the optimal lifestyle for them as we can ourselves. We can try to keep them fed and without disease but we can't really make everything just so for them. I figure in a situation like Housepets, besides the size difference and lalala science has no place here, they also can communicate with their owners like children can, to secure the optimal living conditions for them but WHO KNOWS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT I'M CRAAAAAZY U:
Kuraggo

Post by Kuraggo »

I think you guys exaggerate a "little" bit, c'mon it's a comic, well at least for this kind of comic i don't think we need super extra incredible attention to detail and real life behaviours/consequences/blah, blah.

I mean, look at garfield, he's like 31 and still lives :lol:
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Ebly wrote:WHO KNOWS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT I'M CRAAAAAZY U:
OH GOD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Sinder wrote:
OH GOD
What does George Burns have to do with this? :lol:
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Keeshah wrote:
Sinder wrote:
OH GOD
What does George Burns have to do with this? :lol:
Eeeveeryyytheeeeng
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Kuraggo wrote:I think you guys exaggerate a "little" bit, c'mon it's a comic, well at least for this kind of comic i don't think we need super extra incredible attention to detail and real life behaviours/consequences/blah, blah.

I mean, look at garfield, he's like 31 and still lives :lol:
I know right, but it's fun! I dunno if I speak for anyone but for me, I don't expect anything I suggest to be so, I just enjoy thinking about how such a situation could happen if it were in reality and had real life behaviours/consequences/blah, blah. Also I have a lot of free time on my hands.
Kuraggo

Post by Kuraggo »

Oh ok then, i forgive you, no problem. ;)
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

Keeshah wrote:
Indagare wrote:

I see..
I agree the quality of medical care, the quality an availability of food has improved, as well now knowing how to prevent disease outbreaks.
The pets do now have the advantage is saying something when there sick, or feeling bad/strangely, or have been injured.
*nods* There was an article in the news a while back that zoos are having to deal with aging animals (like so) because with medical care, lack of predators/disabling factors, and a myriad of other reasons animals are living far longer than they would in the wild. As Fox said, feral creatures tend not to receive medical care. I can easily imagine on a world where the animals can say where and what hurts it would make treatment even easier - though it also begs the question of why feral animals never started their own societies.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Indagare wrote:
Keeshah wrote:
Indagare wrote:

I see..
*nods* There was an article in the news a while back that zoos are having to deal with aging animals (like so) because with medical care, lack of predators/disabling factors, and a myriad of other reasons animals are living far longer than they would in the wild. As Fox said, feral creatures tend not to receive medical care. I can easily imagine on a world where the animals can say where and what hurts it would make treatment even easier - though it also begs the question of why feral animals never started their own societies.
In a sense, animals in the real world already do create societies - packs, prides, herds, colonies, and so on. 'Course, not all animals do, but I'd assume not all feral animals in Housepets would create societies either.