Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Tiggy

Re: Art Thread

Post by Tiggy »

Aww, 's cute.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Souji

Post by Souji »

Kuro, as odd as it may sound, sometimes our best works come out in a spot of depression. It doesn't look like you're losing heart in drawing at all; it's a very powerful picture.
Let your friends be your strength.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Something a cool friend of mine did from request.

Don't ask why he's sitting on an office chair. He just is. xD
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Well, he is obviously at work. Duh.
Sent from my conifer.
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

Practicing some poses.....blegh
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Kuro, that's awesome. I think it looks wonderful.

Souji, nice shading job. :3

Shades, I love that. But the legs might be a bit long. It's still amazing though. :3

Lastly, RC, that person has some talent.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Shadow I am so in love with that picture
bwah bwah
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Souji wrote:Kuro, as odd as it may sound, sometimes our best works come out in a spot of depression. It doesn't look like you're losing heart in drawing at all; it's a very powerful picture.
Let your friends be your strength.
Oh God, that would mean I need to be depressed to draw something like this again, since I always draw my current emotions out... @w@ But yeah, my friends, IRL or online, is my strength now. Thanks, Souji and thanks too, Psykeout and TH.

@Psykeout: Kah, kawaii~ >w<
@ReCreate: That's a great picture! Cat at work~
@haz: I agree with what TH said on both accounts! *shot for being too lazy to comment*

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

That is awesome, Shades! Really great stuff!

Looks very cute, Psyke. Very animated.

Ruu, that art is just spectacular. I love it all.

NickCole, Souji, you guys are always pumping out great stuff, even when you aren't trying! :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

http://qrs3000.deviantart.com/art/More- ... -254127677 This is a sketch using DA's Muro tool

Image I redrew the old guy in blue ink ballpoint pen.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Nice pose Shadow.
And nice Muro Sketches QRS3000

He's a doodle I did.
'Cata acceptio obscuro mea ténebris ego fio totum' ~ Laxan Tanax Enore
'I made ​​all my dark morning by the acceptance of the dark'
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Laxan wrote:Nice pose Shadow.
And nice Muro Sketches QRS3000

He's a doodle I did.
That's a nice doodle you got there Laxan... Be a shame if sssssssssomething happened to it, ssssssssssss-...
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

QRS3000 wrote:I redrew the old guy in blue ink ballpoint pen.
Old folks is difficult to draw, I can't for the life of me
Good job 'ar
Laxan wrote:He's a doodle I did.
I think you're underselling yourself to call something a doodle if it's of that size and dimensionality (which is a word, Chrome)
I OWN THREE LEGS
Image Image
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Laxan wrote:He's a doodle I did.
Except it's not a doodle.

It looks reallllyyy nice. If a little uncanny.
bwah bwah
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

My dA, where there is more to be seen..... THE GAME Ò_ó
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Posting this cause someone wants to see it. The hand is wonky. I am aware of it. *giggles* I did it in about 45 min. though. So that's good. Not my best, not my worst. It's a revolutionary war soldier sleeping in his tent at night.
Attachments
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG (196.82 KiB) Viewed 15334 times
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Cm4F wrote:Image
My dA, where there is more to be seen..... THE GAME Ò_ó
I think i just found myself a new wallpaper
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Psykeout wrote:Except it's not a doodle.
the definition of a doodle is a drawing done when multi-tasking. Which I was. |D
Psykeout wrote:It looks reallllyyy nice. If a little uncanny.[/color]
What you mean?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Because Pskyeout's amazing... he took me down. And he's happy 'bout it. X3
Attachments
Took down a bunny - Copy.jpg
Took down a bunny - Copy.jpg (159.85 KiB) Viewed 15313 times
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

CaptainPea wrote:I OWN THREE LEGS
he would look great in a blue robe.
Laxan wrote:
Psykeout wrote:Except it's not a doodle.
the definition of a doodle is a drawing done when multi-tasking. Which I was. |D
Psykeout wrote:It looks reallllyyy nice. If a little uncanny.[/color]
What you mean?
ah. The more you knooowww
It's great, but the stylistic choices felt a bit awkward to me. When Anthros are drawn semi-realistically, it can look creepy if you're not careful. Here are some examples of the dangers of looking like a creepy human-animal. the facial structure is very cat; the muzzle is extremely like a real feline's. However, the eye's are shaped and placed human, and the hair is human. The ears help a little to balance it out actually. The best thing is to make the features fade. Use some slightly more cartoony eyes, taller foreheads, centralized features, distilled facial structure, and shorted, less shapely muzzles.
Box O Lions wrote:Because Pskyeout's amazing... he took me down. And he's happy 'bout it. X3
ATTACK OF THE GLASSES

OMG RES CAN WE BE BEST FRANDS
I LAV U
bwah bwah
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

@Psykeout: Well that's just my style. I'm trying to get OUT of doing things too cartoony.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Laxan wrote:@Psykeout: Well that's just my style. I'm trying to get OUT of doing things too cartoony.
Then I'd use a little less manga elements
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Psykeout, wanna share it? :P

Box, I really love that soldier drawing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:Psykeout, wanna share it? :P
No you'll ruin the small reference pool.

Also that is in no way art.
bwah bwah
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Hey guys look at meeeeee
Psykeout wrote:

Everything Sleet says is art
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I recognized it as your work right away, Pea. and according to the alt text, it looks like you may have some hand chopping to get done. :twisted:
good work, Pea.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Some doodles.

Slowly getting there...
Nick as a kid and scared.

Random doodles in college.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

love the first one nick ^_^
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

CaptainPea wrote:Hey guys look at meeeeee
I like how you taking over Precocious is a running joke over there.
You could have copper road
bwah bwah
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

its theblakcateyes in case you cant tell >.<;Image
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Aww! He looks cute, shades. Great drawing!

Awesome sketches Box! What is this about Psyke beating Mr. Bunny? :lol:

That is amazing, cm4f. Just spectacular.

Laxan, even your sketches are good!

Hey NickCole. Hey...

I like your style! :D
My characters
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

CaptainPea wrote:Hey guys look at meeeeee
Psykeout wrote:

Everything Sleet says is art
Awwwwww. :3

Ooh, nice guest strip. Must be an honor. I like the little touches in the last panel!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

CY_Law wrote:
yehoshua wrote:......and completly disregard this not so brief comment.
Now this, is a not so brief comment. *TF2 sniper voice* *shot*
Box O Lions wrote:Finished Commission!... except... he actually wants a ton of stuff altered that he shoulda mentioned when I showed him. -_- sorta mad about that. But the coloring is decent. I'm fond of the sky... but I'm still not on par with what I want. I'm getting there little by little.
Some anatomy error, i see alot of people commented about the nose so I'll start there first, from this perspective, the naris(opening of nostril) need to be more obvious, take the eye level to waist level, you'll see what I mean. Next, shadow or not, the shadow casted by the nose is off, you have shown where the light source is, in this case, I assume it's from the front of the person, so this one should be obvious. Or other wise, you'll make the nose look droopy.
Anatomy wise, again, from this perspective, you have to make the ala(the bulge on the side) on the other side shown, even if it's just a little, Since, you have to make the nose shape more solid, instead of smooth rounded, same goes to the nose bridge, it has a distinct shape. I can see you try to use shading to show the form, you'll need a better shape and contrast for that, just a suggestion.
Now move on to the eye, erm, I dunno how to explain this, but you have to understand the human skull shape, the eye situated in the socket, will usually have the brow extended out more, but not exaggerating it, it prevents from making the face looks flat. You'll find out just how "inside" your eyes are towards your brain, hope you get what I mean. And also, give the eye a shape as well, by altering how the iris and pupil look like, try to imagine stamping them on a ball.
Next, anatomy again, the mouth, actually, the whole face shape is kinda off, despite me saying the face ain't flat, but they're almost a surface when viewed in general, just some bulge and dent, in this case, you need to prevent drawing the face too rounded, from what we can see, the mouth is situated in a manner that it looks like it's way lower than the nose, which is an anatomy error. And you have to make sure the construction is correct, the placement of mouth is off if compared to where the eyes and nose are. In this case, the mouth would be higher up and closer to the left(from viewer point of view), from an almost 1/4 front perspective view, this is something you need to take care of.
And then, to the whole head anatomy, i say.... try imagining the person have his hair shaved, and imagine how the head is connected to the neck and the body, you'll see what i mean, the head is connected from its base, not from its back, just imagine the spinal cord connected the brain, easy reference, and again, make sure the head isn't round, it has a more dynamic shape, again look for reference.
Then, the hair, I say, good attempt, but you gotta show its volume, strokes are too soft in terms of colouring, I can see the shape, but not the form, making it not so convincing, as it can be misunderstood as a flat piece of paper, and also, show the contrast between each side of the hair, the lighting applies here as well, but nevertheless, good attempt as I'm not fond of drawing hair either, not even colour.
I wouldn't comment on the clothe, nothing much, aside from making it more contrast, since it's a white clothe.
And the right hand, the form is distorted, suggesting to find reference, best doing the gesture yourself, the palm being pressed needs to show its form correctly, I can see the attempt, but it's off. and the fingers...I assume it's a human error, but the fingers are poking/penetrating through the handle of the keyblade for some reason.
Next, I'll say this as an extra. Look at how he stands and how he positions his keyblade, he could be easily off-balance, but it's just something not *so* significant.
And well, over all you incorporate a soft shading method, which is ok, but it's better, for this case, for you to show some contrast, I assume it's sun light hitting on him, you'll have to simulate that, it's a tad way too soft, but it's just me.
And maybe add in more details, I know it's a commission and that you have to present it in a limited time. But simple stuff like, showing the bump where the hand-in-pocket is, will help, even by abit.
Overall, a tad shading problem, but a concerning matter is the line quality, you have to know for yourself which line is important and which line is not, it determines how the strokes is applied, Ex. stuff under shadow have a heavier and thicker line. Outer line is thinker than line for details, etc. It helps show the form easily and *not* confuses the audience, most of the time. Vector outlining or pen tool outlining is great, as it simulates pressure, but you gotta take care of the strokes as well, make sure it looks convincing, instead of letting the audiences wonder which line indicates the outline, and get confused by the form and structure, giving a false illusion of volume. And still, be flexible in this, you'll never know what went wrong until you finish it, most of the time.
Overall, I have nothing else to say, still, a good attempt, since quite a number of people points out stuff about it, just pointing something out as well.
Note: 1)If everything you did is stylised and is for a purpose, then... ignore what I said, but might be helpful for others
2) I typed this as I go, so it might be slightly inaccurate or even missed out something, I apologized about that
3) So that said, if there's anything I said that you don't understand or wish to ask, I'm here
4) I know I did threw lots of gibberish technical stuff, most of the people get offended by it, so no offence despite of what I said
Box O Lions wrote:I've been getting faster and faster at inking. This one took me an hour maybe, if less. Looks pretty good. I've learned that altering the line weights is very important to get a good look. I meant to add a laser beam growing in his paws like from Super Smash Bros. Brawl but I forgot and I'm a little tired. ^^' Hope you like it.
Ironically how I just mentioned about line quality(I started this comment before you post this lol xD), this is close to what I meant, good attempt, but still, there's still some error here and there about the line, which, I'll leave it up for you to find it out yourself. It's a very important aspect to show an uncoloured detailed work, applying the correct line, in the correct place. The thing is it's uncoloured, which in turn, line quality took on the role of determining the shape and form, letting the audience know what they're looking at is convincing enough.
But otherwise, it looks good, I usually won't say much about stuff non-human. but oh well.
Again, no offence. |D
Thanks Law! X3 I'm sorry it took such a long time to respond. A lot of those problems I realized but it's great feedback. After I finished these couple of pieces, I realized the importance of taking a break in your art. I admit that hand sucks. And I'm not too good at shading yet. Coloring is foreign, and I usually don't draw anime. I did try to stylize it for the most part but if it looks wonky, I supposed I didn't do it right. :/ Thanks for the tips though. I appreciate it.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

I've forgotten how long it's been since I've drawn my fursona A few months give or take. Time to make a few modifications.

I had no Idea what to do with all this extra space... I need to refill my IMAGINATION tanks.
Attachments
NewFursona.jpg
NewFursona.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 15139 times
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

I didn't realise I didn't post this here. Lol. A random doodle I did for Milo.

EDIT: Manawolf? Can I perhaps draw your fursona? I like the look of him.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Laxan wrote:Manawolf? Can I perhaps draw your fursona? I like the look of him.
Sure, feel free. It's been A while since I've drawn him but I have a simple Basic design drawn. The black figure in the back is a sheath for a silver lance. I didn't do the designs on the coat here, that's a new addition. And since he's still a bit childish, he's not very muscular and not very trained when using his lance. Actually, I don't remember why I even gave him a lance the first place. Probably to whack creepers and magikarps 1000's of miles away. I Made a ME GUSTA
Attachments
My ME GUSTA.jpg
My ME GUSTA.jpg (20.56 KiB) Viewed 15057 times
9798.jpg
9798.jpg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 15088 times
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

:lol: Excellent Me Gusta, Mana! And I like your fursona as well.

Laxan, that is a really good drawing. I love your style...
My characters
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

This is just a simple celebrity portrait I drew. George Harrison I hope it looks at least a little bit like the celebrity I wanted to draw. Also, it looks like we're getting some good drawings here.
Last edited by QRS3000 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

let's see.. last artistic thing I've done.
hmmmm.. signatures, that's about it. :b

any recent one's I've made, thought they're months apart lol.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Haha, Viewtiful Joe!
Sent from my conifer.