My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Coatl_Ruu

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

That was great. The whole thing seemed like something The Onion would put out. XD
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ilovehousepets wrote:It's only a matter of time until rule 75 hits us:
If something exists, there is a pony for it. If there isn't one, it will be made.
Bam.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
TurtleCopter
Location: 1 mile away from "I'll never do anything that stupid again"

Post by TurtleCopter »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Ilovehousepets wrote:It's only a matter of time until rule 75 hits us:
If something exists, there is a pony for it. If there isn't one, it will be made.
Bam.
Last edited by TurtleCopter on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

:shock:

That...is amazing.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I just ... wow. :o

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

What? Wait, you actually LIKE it? I think it's flat mediocre!
Last edited by Teh Brawler on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
exranio

Post by exranio »

We like the concept anyway.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not completely true to the original art style but it's still really awesome!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:It's not completely true to the original art style but it's still really awesome!
Forgive me, Sleet, but if you're looking for art that's completely true to the style, Lauren Faust's page is probably your best bet. :P

But thank you for the appreciation.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Teh Brawler wrote:What? Wait, you actually LIKE it? I think it's flat mediocre!
You got my imagination running, with ponies running around in it .... (o_o) ....

Huh? *shakes head* Erm, what just happened? :?

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
exranio

Post by exranio »

So I've been thinking about how old each one is.
Some people thing they are in they're early twenties others believe their in their late teens. I personally think they'r ein the twenties.
So
Fluttershy-23 Pinkie-22 AppleJack-22 Rarity-21 Twilight-20 Rainbowdash-20
This is mostly from the cutie mark episode. Fluttershy said she was a year older thank Pinkie so Pinkie could only be one year younger. Applejack just plain seemed older than everyone else. Rarity sounded younger than than Applejack or pinkie but still older than the other Twi or Dash. Rainbow Dash looked a bit smaller than all the others. Twilight wasn't even in school yet.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

exranio wrote:So I've been thinking about how old each one is.
Some people thing they are in they're early twenties others believe their in their late teens. I personally think they'r ein the twenties.
So
Fluttershy-23 Pinkie-22 AppleJack-22 Rarity-21 Twilight-20 Rainbowdash-20
This is mostly from the cutie mark episode. Fluttershy said she was a year older thank Pinkie so Pinkie could only be one year younger. Applejack just plain seemed older than everyone else. Rarity sounded younger than than Applejack or pinkie but still older than the other Twi or Dash. Rainbow Dash looked a bit smaller than all the others. Twilight wasn't even in school yet.
That sounds about right to me, though I would make Twilight the youngest of the bunch. Remember, whereas the Ponyville crew all had jobs when she arrived, Twilight was still a student...thing.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Well twilight is an apprentice type student. Being an apprentice doesn't end when school ends. Plus both in Canterlot and Ponyville she works as the librarian in both cases the library is also her house.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hm, I suppose you're right.

Hey guys, you know what would be cool but almost certainly not going to happen? If in season 2 they made each main character's model slightly different from the others. Like Rainbow Dash being extra lithe to reflect her athleticism, Applejack a bit bulkier to reflect her hardworking...ness, Fluttershy a bit taller and lankier like she was as a filly. Gosh that would be cool.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

exranio wrote:Fluttershy-23 Pinkie-22 AppleJack-22 Rarity-21 Twilight-20 Rainbowdash-20
20-year-olds apparently learning about the basics of friendship and responsibility for the first time? If that was their ages, the entire series just became incredibly depressing. :P

In my opinion, I think they need to be relatively ageless to avoid the connotations and expectations people have from the context of age. I mean, Friendship is Magic is still primarily a kid's show! The ponies are 'grown up' but they still are very immature in some large ways – they need to be so they can actually 'learn' something, and be able to explicitly state some of the things that media intended for older audiences take for granted as being understood. You can't assume they are young because they are clearly not when looked at in the context of the show, but you can't say they are mature because they are clearly not when looked at in the context of reality.

I think the best way to look at it is that ponies are young adults by pony standards, and that pony standards don't really translate to us.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The lifespan of ponies isn't ever really going to be explored, but I think it's reasonable for them to be college-aged. Twilight Sparkle is basically a college student, and the others have jobs and live on their own. But they still act kind of teenagery, so very early 20s seems reasonable for them, if translated into human years. The learning about friendship at that age can be attributed to Twilight's antisocial tendencies and artistic liberties based on the show being for little girls.
Teh Brawler wrote:
Sleet wrote:It's not completely true to the original art style but it's still really awesome!
Forgive me, Sleet, but if you're looking for art that's completely true to the style, Lauren Faust's page is probably your best bet. :P

But thank you for the appreciation.
Lauren Faust never drew Peanut and Grape as ponies, silly.

Or did she?!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
exranio

Post by exranio »

Ebly, your ability to suck all the fun out of this astounds me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's quite amusing, actually.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

exranio wrote:Ebly, your ability to suck all the fun out of this astounds me.
Well aren't you polite! :3
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:
exranio wrote:Fluttershy-23 Pinkie-22 AppleJack-22 Rarity-21 Twilight-20 Rainbowdash-20
20-year-olds apparently learning about the basics of friendship and responsibility for the first time? If that was their ages, the entire series just became incredibly depressing. :P

In my opinion, I think they need to be relatively ageless to avoid the connotations and expectations people have from the context of age. I mean, Friendship is Magic is still primarily a kid's show! The ponies are 'grown up' but they still are very immature in some large ways – they need to be so they can actually 'learn' something, and be able to explicitly state some of the things that media intended for older audiences take for granted as being understood. You can't assume they are young because they are clearly not when looked at in the context of the show, but you can't say they are mature because they are clearly not when looked at in the context of reality.

I think the best way to look at it is that ponies are young adults by pony standards, and that pony standards don't really translate to us.
Have I ever told you I love you?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
exranio

Post by exranio »

I just read The Vinyl Scratch tapes season 1. Its the second best fanfic I've ever read. Considering that I only read this and Cutie Mark Clash.

The Vinyl Scratch tapes is about the reserved Octavia and the loud mouthed insensitive DJ-P0n3 running a show together ona new invention called the radio.

Cutie mark clash is about the queen from a neighboring kingdom to host a fighting tournament known as the cutie mark clash in pony ville. It is also partly a street fighter cross over as it features pony versions of Guile and M.Bison. (These are not the originals they are just universe counterparts)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Any of y'all read any fics with the Slender Mane in them?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

naylorfan90 wrote:Any of y'all read any fics with the Slender Mane in them?
Oh God that sounds like the best and the worst.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:Any of y'all read any fics with the Slender Mane in them?
Oh God that sounds like the best and the worst.
It is. I read one where...um, let's just say it's not the happiest ending. Especially if your favorite characters are Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy. :cry:
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

300 would have been a much better movie if they had ponies...
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This is friendship. This is magic!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:300 would have been a much better movie if they had ponies...
You guys DO know that Horses are an ACTUAL animal, and were commonly ridden on in the time of ancient Greece, the setting of 300, don't you?

Pimping more artists.
bwah bwah
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Psykeout wrote:
You guys DO know that Horses are an ACTUAL animal, and were commonly ridden on in the time of ancient Greece, the setting of 300, don't you?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Psykeout wrote:
You know Ponies aren't exactly of the same size as horses, don't you?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:
Psykeout wrote:
You know Ponies aren't exactly of the same size as horses, don't you?
Ponies ARE horses. Just a specific type.
bwah bwah
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

@Psykeout: Yes, I know. Have you seen any horse of this specie in the movie? If you have, then I apologise.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's not get worked up over a cartoon. x3 A measure of civility is always a nice thing to have.

Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

angelusbr wrote:@Psykeout: Yes, I know. Have you seen any horse of this specie in the movie? If you have, then I apologise.
I haven't even seen the movie. It was just an attempt humorous remark. For the record, though, the setting had ponies, even if they never appeared in the movie.

I'll stop having fun now guys. :U
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Ponies are serious business, boy! Submit to the will of the hoof, and do not mock it lest ye die!

Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Dissension wrote:Ponies are serious business, boy! Submit to the will of the hoof, and do not mock it lest ye die!
That comment became 20% funnier when I imagined the wolf cub wearing an eyepatch saying it. *giggles*
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Dissension wrote:Ponies are serious business, boy! Submit to the will of the hoof, and do not mock it lest ye die!
That comment became 20% funnier when I imagined the wolf cub wearing an eyepatch saying it. *giggles*
oh god i hope Rick makes a ponies reference
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That would be the best reference ever. Of all time.
exranio

Post by exranio »

So I was thinking about if one of them died sense I was up in the middle of the night.
I think if Fluttershy died for whatever reason Rarity and Rainbowdash would be the most effected by it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah, seriously, Psykeout. This show is serious business. There's no room for silly things like friendship in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
mariomarc wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:
oh god i hope Rick makes a ponies reference
That would be amazing, but I get the feeling Rick probably doesn't even watch the show.