RP experiment: SRP

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Hypergenesis

RP experiment: SRP

Post by Hypergenesis »

Introduction
Situational Roleplaying (SRP) is played with a situation that encompasses the whole game. SRPs are usually action-based RP with a Game Master, dubbed an Event Master (EM) for convenience who controls the events and non-player characters. Results from player actions are either determined by common sense or dice rolls, whereas the choice of which to use is dependent on the location and its effects to the RP. This form of roleplaying, however, is limited in duration by the presence of the situation upon whose resolution would mark the end of the roleplay.

Character Creation
Characters to be created are usually meant to be fixated towards the RP, for example a warrior character is made to participate in a siege, though they may be made to be open ended, such as a travelling monk. As the RP is meant to only cover a certain situation, character histories are not necessarily required. However, providing one might grant that character situational bonuses. There are also no rules prohibiting recurring characters and, as such, the player may choose to make a character who he/she can play for multiple situational RPs.

Character Statistics
In SRPs, a character’s build is important as it would determine his/her ability in performing various tasks. Although there are various statistic systems, this guide will only cover a simple SPECIAL system.

Simple SPECIAL System:
Strength - Determines the ability to perform physical activities.
Perception - Determines the ability to detail the world.
Perception is important in determining the character’s interaction.
Endurance - Determines the ability to sustain a physical task.
The amount of endurance a character has will automatically determine the time the task is sustained.
There are other factors that would require an endurance check.
Charisma - Determines the ability to effectively communicate with NPCs
Low Charisma scores may cause NPCs to take your words negatively despite being worded properly, while the opposite also remains true.
Intelligence - Determines the ability to comprehend events, situations and interactions.
Intelligences below 3 would render a character incapable of reading.
Intelligences below 2 would render a character incapable of proper speech.
Intelligences of 1 would render complete incomprehension
Agility - Determines the time needed to perform physical tasks.
Luck - Determines the character’s Luck.

(( I might add more later on though. Also people are free to make their own. ))

Stat Point Distribution
Characters are given 40 points to distribute, whether to use all 40 is up to the player.
The “average” is 5 points in the ability and a minimum of 1 point and a maximum of 10 points applies for each category.
Some tasks may require a minimum ability allocation to perform.
Heavy penalties usually outweigh the additional benefits. Choose your stats carefully.

Success Checks
Success is based on the result of a 20 sided die roll, where there the modifier is added to the result.
Ability Points
Success Modifier Chart
|Points| Modifier
|1____| -8 |
|2____| -4 |
|3____| -2 |
|4____| -1 |
|5____| 0_|
|6 -7__| +1|
|8 - 9_ | +3|
|10___| +5|

Results:
1 ≥ - Catastrophic Failure
2 - 4 - Complete Failure
5 - 9 - Salvageable Mistake
10 - Nothing Happens
11- 15 - Minimally Successful
16-19 - Expected Result
20 ≤ - Overly Successful

Restrictions
Restrictions on character creation are quite lax in situational RPs, although depending on the EM the character may or may not be allowed or additional penalties might be given.
Character Limits

- A player may have at most only two characters in a single SRP. This is to limit the influence of a player over the RP.
Technology
- While the EM might allow certain odd (with reference to the setting) characters to enter an SRP, they should still be mindful of technological limitations of their setting.
- Guns are useful in conflicts, but guns would be less appreciated in medieval periods since they don’t have bullets there.
- High tech teleportation modules would not function as expected in older times as the spatial differences would throw computations off. They also wouldn’t have enough power to function continuously as they would in the future due to the lack of suppliers.
- A fighter jet would function marvelously against a dragon but primitive fuels would more likely cause an explosion before the dragon.
Magic
- As with technology, magic also has its limits depending on the setting.
- Fire magic can provide the heat for a fire but without the presence of fuel or oxygen the fire will just not burn.
- Water magic will need a source of water, whether this be atmospheric or moisture content. Casting water magic in a vacuum would drain the water out of the caster.
- Energy magic can be cast anywhere but their transmission might still be hindered by the setting.

(( Listed are examples but all forms of magic and technology have in-built limits if they are not created by overbeings. ))

The Event Master
As already mentioned, the Event Master is simply another term for a Game Master. This means in addition to managing the Events and NPCs, the EM is also expected to act like a GM.

As a “dicing” feature is not available, the EM is expected to be honest and not give special treatment to certain players. Since there is no way of determining rigging of the game, the EM must be vigilant as not to lose the trust of his/her players.

The EM must also pay close attention to the actions of the characters as even the simple act of flipping a pot or turning a knob might be used to provide entertainment. Inefficient EMs would hold up a game by creating a linear plot in where the characters actions would fixed to a script.

Finally, an EM must know the balance of fun and rules. Going into detail too much would create a very inflexible world while failing to regulate fun would result in pandemonium. An evil emperor might be all-powerful with an army at his disposal and might even escape a stab or two with the help of an artifact, but the characters throwing down their arms, declaring “HAX” and moving to another land to harvest daisies would still spell defeat for the emperor.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Hypergenesis

Re: RP experiment: SRP

Post by Hypergenesis »

Just putting this up right now to see if anyone would be interested in this form of RP.

I'll probably be making a dry run in the coming day but currently my indecisive schedule is not allowing me to.
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

sounds cool
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Zander

Post by Zander »

Would the gm be determined by dice roll? Or is it the same one each time?
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

One RP would have one GM. Rolling for a GM every turn would be too chaotic.

The GM's decisions are the ones that will be based on dice rolls though on some occasions common sense would be enough.

Just like DnD without all the books.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Okay, i get it.. So it's like seperate "neighborhoods" but with changing themes designed for one arc. Would it be possible to make a thread which the gm changes every turn?

Like, they have to give the full setting and everything, play out the arc as gm, then a new one is chosen at random, and the process starts over?

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Oh that you man. Yes, that would be acceptable. The SRP I mentioned was technically a single arc, or a situation. Upon resolution a new situation may arise and a different GM could take control.

Quoting myself,
Hypergenesis wrote:There are also no rules prohibiting recurring characters and, as such, the player may choose to make a character who he/she can play for multiple situational RPs.
I didn't explicitly mention it but a recurring setting(location/time) is also allowed.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

And just going to gather data right now.

For setting:
1.) Genre - Action or horror
2.) Time - When? This would also determine the technology level.
3.) Magic Levels - Cantrip, Everyday, or just describe how you like the influence of magic.
4.) Resources - Optional. X)
Zander

Post by Zander »

Hypergenesis wrote:And just going to gather data right now.

For setting:
1.) Genre - Action or horror
2.) Time - When? This would also determine the technology level.
3.) Magic Levels - Cantrip, Everyday, or just describe how you like the influence of magic.
4.) Resources - Optional. X)

1: Horror
2: current
3: none, besides anything related to horror. (characters cant use it)
4: Inside the stereotypical old mansion, day never seems to come for the group of thrill-seekers which ventured into the mansion one Halloween night, they found that they were trapped inside its horrifying interior. They tried and tried to break out, but to no avail., each supplied with a small lunch the packed and one flashlight, destined to run out of battery, they set forth into the darkness.

-Robert Louis Stevenson
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

I'm somewhat interested....

1.) Genre - Action
2.) Time - Modern times or the distant future (Utopian World, or seemingly Utopian)
3.) Magic Levels - Either some advacned technology or a few limited/average forms of magic (shape shifters, magic fire, etc.)
4.) Resources - Each person gets to pick maybe 10 items to have if we're going to go well supplied at the start. 5 If we're traveling light and 0 if we're doomed.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Some what interested.

1.) Genre - Action Horror
2.) Time* - 25th centuray AD
3.) Magic Levels - Psychics.
4.) Resources - Whatever can be found along the way.
5.) Technology: More of a mix between The Fifth Element and Stardust.

As you can see, I added Technology. Because, well, some people may want to take a fighter jet to a dragon. And because of very smart dwarves. Just a suggestion.

(you've seen the Transformers movies right? What about situations like when robots land on a planet that's in the year 10000 BC? :))
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

@Zander
I actually have a "Jack the Ripper" scenario almost ready, though I'm still thinking what to change for the Ripping. XD

I'm very inclined to use your idea, though giving the players a bit more than just lunch and a flashlight.

@Razgriz
More of an adventure type from what I've read, I have a setting that takes place in a remote region with tons of unknowns, but you could easily relate that sort of place with the Monster Hunter franchise where the players are thrown into a location with no escape until the completed their mission, or get eaten.
I know you can surrender but that's boring.

@xhunterko
I take physics magic is Star Wars?

Personally I'm not a fan of distant future scenarios as it has a great tendency to go out of hand unless the tech limits are clearly laid out, but with success rolls I guess it could be somewhat balanced a bit.

Like in my opening post, I never did restrict the possibility of bringing a jet against a dragon. Imported tech is clearly useful, but it's the maintenance that is at question.

I never did watch Transformers, although the thought of robots falling on a planet with inferior technology does require some answers. Simply put, if technologically advanced AI living robots were to fall at 10000 BC, we would have a reason why dinosaurs became extinct and an explanation on why what made them extinct was never found. Technology is dependent on the sentient species that would be able to utilize it. If the technology is too advanced, its use would be degraded to how the users would simply treat it as an object of similar structure.
Introducing a monkey to a power saw.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hypergenesis wrote:though I'm still thinking what to change for the Ripping. XD
maybe he's going around ripping people's clothes?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

I wish it were that easy.

see, the amazing thing about Jack the Ripper is that it was a mystery horror. Ripping off people's clothes would he comedy horror. Although your suggestion did give me an idea about ripping textiles, although it only serves to be mystery...
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hypergenesis wrote:I wish it were that easy.

see, the amazing thing about Jack the Ripper is that it was a mystery horror. Ripping off people's clothes would he comedy horror. Although your suggestion did give me an idea about ripping textiles, although it only serves to be mystery...
who said ripping them off? I just said ripping them.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Rip off as in rend and tear.

not

rip off as in copy.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I know. but I intended for the victims to remain fully clothed with maybe a mysterious tear in their jacket.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Invisible stalker you mean?

It's an idea, but it makes capture and the resolution somewhat hard. Vengeful spirit, experiment gone wild or cursed subjects, are some of the culprits I see though like I said, resolution would be hard.
Playful trickster would be a different thing though.

Horror - Survival Mystery
That's the result I'm trying to achieve as of now since that's more of my forte.
Yes yes, the fox that doesn't go out likes to write about survival.

although I admit that is interesting.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

@xhunterko
More like common cartoon ghost psychic. Floating objects, things moving by themselves, invincebility, etc.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Hypergenesis wrote:That's the result I'm trying to achieve as of now since that's more of my forte.
Yes yes, the fox that doesn't go out likes to write about survival.

Horray!

(i spelled it wrong.)
Hypergenesis wrote:@Zander
I actually have a "Jack the Ripper" scenario almost ready, though I'm still thinking what to change for the Ripping. XD

I'm very inclined to use your idea, though giving the players a bit more than just lunch and a flashlight.
this is mostly for the purpose of providing creativity, in a survival situation which the characters were not given alot, they are encouraged to find their own weapons/aid to help them.

but i like yours too, :3

Oh my god.

I just got the best idea ever, in the same scenario we could have an easy resolution, (mansion thing.)
before we start, we get the characters all ready, and 2/3/4 characters (dependind on how many are being played) are chosen at random.

The story-line would be that those 2/3/4 teamed up and decided to pull a prank on the other ones, though acting completely scared themselves to not raise suspicion on their antics.

the ones chosen would not tell the others rp'ing weather they are one of them or not, so its even a secret to the other rp'ers, adding just a little more depth. (even though the rp'ers would know that this was the plan, they should still act as though their characters were oblivious.)

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

xhunterko wrote:
@xhunterko
More like common cartoon ghost psychic. Floating objects, things moving by themselves, invincebility, etc.
Ah, that sounds like something I would use -invincibility +invisibility.
Zander wrote:I just got the best idea ever, in the same scenario we could have an easy resolution, (mansion thing.)
before we start, we get the characters all ready, and 2/3/4 characters (dependind on how many are being played) are chosen at random.

The story-line would be that those 2/3/4 teamed up and decided to pull a prank on the other ones, though acting completely scared themselves to not raise suspicion on their antics.

the ones chosen would not tell the others rp'ing weather they are one of them or not, so its even a secret to the other rp'ers, adding just a little more depth. (even though the rp'ers would know that this was the plan, they should still act as though their characters were oblivious.)
If you want to try this, I think I can manage the scenario once I'm finished with school stuff on Monday, although you can be the EM yourself if you want, just reserve me a slot in that case.

I've been thinking of a lose mechanic involving the character's sanity. Getting scared (failing a scare check) would reduce your sanity (base: Intelligence) and getting your sanity down to zero would mean you automatically jump out a window and run for dear life.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I'm pretty interested in this.

Do I have to make a scenario?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'd be interested in doing something like this. the Forum games section has a similar thing going right now, with the dice rolling thing (I'll just keep it there. moving it would just confuse current players.)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Tha Housefox wrote:I'm pretty interested in this.

Do I have to make a scenario?
Anyone is free to start their own scenario but if you make a scenario you can choose to have people manage it or manage it yourself.

I'll link the OoCs and the RPs in my second post when I see them, just so that a little order would be in place.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'd be interested in doing something like this. the Forum games section has a similar thing going right now, with the dice rolling thing (I'll just keep it there. moving it would just confuse current players.)
It's a game in its own right, but this is something a bit more close to DnD style gameplay just made much more simple. Not denying that game could be called similar to this, but the boards they were posted at would attest to the purpose of their existence. There, the power of creation is with the players while here the players are simply pawns in the game master's playground. Pardon the evil overlord act.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Hypergenesis wrote: If you want to try this, I think I can manage the scenario once I'm finished with school stuff on Monday, although you can be the EM yourself if you want, just reserve me a slot in that case.

I've been thinking of a lose mechanic involving the character's sanity. Getting scared (failing a scare check) would reduce your sanity (base: Intelligence) and getting your sanity down to zero would mean you automatically jump out a window and run for dear life.
That's cool, I'll probably make one tomorrow then.. But I sill have a question about the whole mechanics of the game.
When they post, do I post saying what they rolled an the outcome, or what?

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

There are a few kinds of rolls though we could simplify it into two kinds.

1) Simple Success Check (SSC)
Done when the action would be normally unopposed except by the subject of the action.
Example:
-Lifting a boulder.
-Looking for an object of interest.
-Holding your breath.
-Bargaining with a merchant.
-Using an unknown computer program.
-Catching something thrown at you without notice.
-Rolling a dice.

2) Comparative Success Check
Done when the action being performed is opposed by something that could similarly perform a check.
Example:
-Wrestling.
-Competing in where's Waldo.
-Tug-o-War.
-Lying to someone.
-Mathematics Competition
-Racing with another.
-Gambling.

Then there is common sense.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Can you give me an example of how it would exactly be written, then replied to? i'll probably change it around a great deal though. I just need the main structure.

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

For Simple Success Checks...
For a character with 5 Strength points..
Lyle was furious that the door was locked and in his rage he kicked the door with all his might.
{Str Check: 1} As Lyle thrust his foot towards the door, he lost his footing and slipped. The door remained locked and closed and Lyle finds himself with a sprained leg.

Now for a character with 10 points in Intelligence. . .
Aristotle's discovery made him jump up with joy and the first thing he thought of was to spread the word. He quickly hurried out the bath shouting "Eureka!".

{Int Check: 1+5}
Aristotle forgot to wear his clothes before running out of the bath.

For a character with 7 Perception points..
Mein was confused as to whether the figure in the distance was a friend or foe, he squinted his eyes and focused on the subject trying to confirm his doubts.
{Per Check: 12+1}

Mein was able to catch a glimpse of the figure through the fog. The figure was a human dressed as a pirate and looking for something. A silver watch hung on the person's side indicates he was an undercover with the investigators.

======================================================================

Clearly the second one was meant to double as a joke, but it shows that a player may roll the dice themselves if they would want to request a success check. I'm still thinking if we should have this legalized into the rules though.

===============================================================================

For Comparative Success Checks...

Beuford is a str 8, per 5 character while Reese is a str 3, agi 8 character.
Reese wasn't happy with Beuford's actions and decided to take action herself. She lowered her hear and hear, bearing her horns to the dog and charged.
{Per vs Agi: B(14) vs R(5+3)} Beuford notice the goat coming to him and lowered his body, bracing himself to catch the goat by its horns.
{Str vs Str: B(10+3) vs R(11-2)} Beuford easily caught Reese in her charge, quickly bringing her to a halt.

Two characters with 5 agi.
It was down to the final question, both cats having 2 points each. Helen readied her paw, as she listened to the announcer ask the question.
announcer wrote:"Which webcomic won best anthropomorphic comic strip in the 2010 Ursa Major Awards?"
Helen quickly pressed her button.
{Agi vs Agi: H(20) vs (12)}Helen was faster of the two and her buzzer rang first. Her opponent seems to be infuriated at the result.

=========================
Common Sense

One with Per 10..
Chris saw the bed of spikes and found a way over it which he used to cross.
But Chris' way was simply a piece of cloth over the spikes and he quickly fell back to his origin with painful soles.

================================================

We don't appreciate initiative at times. = w=
Zander

Post by Zander »

Hypergenesis wrote:For Simple Success Checks...
For a character with 5 Strength points..
Lyle was furious that the door was locked and in his rage he kicked the door with all his might.
{Str Check: 1} As Lyle thrust his foot towards the door, he lost his footing and slipped. The door remained locked and closed and Lyle finds himself with a sprained leg.

Now for a character with 10 points in Intelligence. . .
Aristotle's discovery made him jump up with joy and the first thing he thought of was to spread the word. He quickly hurried out the bath shouting "Eureka!".

{Int Check: 1+5}
Aristotle forgot to wear his clothes before running out of the bath.

For a character with 7 Perception points..
Mein was confused as to whether the figure in the distance was a friend or foe, he squinted his eyes and focused on the subject trying to confirm his doubts.
{Per Check: 12+1}

Mein was able to catch a glimpse of the figure through the fog. The figure was a human dressed as a pirate and looking for something. A silver watch hung on the person's side indicates he was an undercover with the investigators.

======================================================================

Clearly the second one was meant to double as a joke, but it shows that a player may roll the dice themselves if they would want to request a success check. I'm still thinking if we should have this legalized into the rules though.

===============================================================================

For Comparative Success Checks...

Beuford is a str 8, per 5 character while Reese is a str 3, agi 8 character.
Reese wasn't happy with Beuford's actions and decided to take action herself. She lowered her hear and hear, bearing her horns to the dog and charged.
{Per vs Agi: B(14) vs R(5+3)} Beuford notice the goat coming to him and lowered his body, bracing himself to catch the goat by its horns.
{Str vs Str: B(10+3) vs R(11-2)} Beuford easily caught Reese in her charge, quickly bringing her to a halt.

Two characters with 5 agi.
It was down to the final question, both cats having 2 points each. Helen readied her paw, as she listened to the announcer ask the question.
announcer wrote:"Which webcomic won best anthropomorphic comic strip in the 2010 Ursa Major Awards?"
Helen quickly pressed her button.
{Agi vs Agi: H(20) vs (12)}Helen was faster of the two and her buzzer rang first. Her opponent seems to be infuriated at the result.

=========================
Common Sense

One with Per 10..
Chris saw the bed of spikes and found a way over it which he used to cross.
But Chris' way was simply a piece of cloth over the spikes and he quickly fell back to his origin with painful soles.

================================================

We don't appreciate initiative at times. = w=
Okay so... are those numbers dice rolls?

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Yes =w =
Zander

Post by Zander »

Okay, so what is this modifier?

|Points| Modifier
|1____| -8 |
|2____| -4 |
|3____| -2 |
|4____| -1 |
|5____| 0_|
|6 -7__| +1|
|8 - 9_ | +3|
|10___| +5|

Edit:
Wait a minute, so i think i get it..

With a character with 5 strength.
Billybob tried to lift the precious artifact
(when i rolled a 20 sided dice, i got 16)
So would it be
16+0

He lifted the pot without any mistake, and placed it on the back of the truck.

And if he had a strength of 2,
Billybob tried to lift the precious artifact
(lets say i rolled a 16 again)
16-4=12

He lifted the pot, and with a great deal of straining, he placed it on the truck, now tired and out of breath.

But that doesn't seem right, how does a character with 2 strength lift a heavy pot? :/

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Ah, that's where this clause comes in handy.
Hypergenesis wrote:Stat Point Distribution
Characters are given 40 points to distribute, whether to use all 40 is up to the player.
The “average” is 5 points in the ability and a minimum of 1 point and a maximum of 10 points applies for each category.
Some tasks may require a minimum ability allocation to perform.
Heavy penalties usually outweigh the additional benefits. Choose your stats carefully.
Usually strength-based and intelligence-based actions have a minimum requirement to them. If pot needs 3 strength then any attempt made by the 2 strength character automatically results in a failed attempt, either nothing happens to the pot (movement or chance in physical appearance) or the pot could have been lifted but immediately "dropped" and broken.

It could be divide the result by 2 or make treat any result (after adding modifiers) above 10 to be 10.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Anyone here played Survival Kids / Lost in Blue?