Housepets! IRC: [Rules update again]

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Re: Housepets! IRC: [PLEASE READ, RULES UPDATE]

Post by dalonewolf25 »

note: expired evaluation period

You could download another IRC client or you could go to http://www.gamesurge.net/chat/.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Medli wrote:IRC won´t let me in anymore.
Instead of saying "continue", the button says "Exit" when it reminds me of the expired evaluation >.<
ye, it's a weird bug i had a few times, but the next day it was working again for no reason
there is no real "expire" on IRC,

"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Alex

Post by Alex »

Kyderra's right. Just close and reopen the program to see if it'll work. Keep doing so until the "Exit" button changes to "Continue".
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Actually it happened to me and I couldn't work with it anymore. So I just went with Icechat.
Make Pasta not war.
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

There should be a separate troubleshoot thread for the IRC. However, this thread should be left open for new ideas and amendments to the rules of the #Housepets channel IRC, or to straighten out issues due to rules.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I'm in the IRC right now... Yeah....
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Which is not really what this thread is for, since everyone in the IRC already knows you're there and anyone who's not probably doesn't care.

I'm just sayin'.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Does anybody know why connecting to irc.gamesurge.net randomly just times out? It happens several time a day. But i can connect fine when i use a proxy.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

I remember back when I used to go to that all the time.
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
Alex

Post by Alex »

In the last 2 weeks, a lot of people have send me PMs on the forums and on IRC, asking if I need more moderation and suggesting themselves to be moderators. That's not a bad thing, but the fact that it's happening often with different people is. Guys, I'm gonna be honest, I don't need more moderators. At all. You are clearly forgetting that there are always moderators who aren't authed, so they look like normal users. I am probably going to promote one more person next week, and that's it. Please don't ask about this anymore. As I said, you've done nothing wrong, you just asked.

Also, if you think you're the last person to ask me, thus making me post this, you're probably wrong. A lot of people have asked ;)
Richarson Valley

Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

In case anyone every had issue's trying to set up to connect to the IRC, me and some friends have made a simple IRC app .exe to connect you to the housepets IRC.

It's basically just a light weight browser that uses Internet Explorer but with a minimize to system tray function that connect to the IRC via Mibbit.
all you need to do is run the .exe (you do need net 2.0) and enter your name.
that's it, you are ready to join!

Download Link
Size: 14K
Version 0.3 (beta)

still having some issue's with the maximize depending on your screen resolution
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Alex

Post by Alex »

That's great, Kyderra! I'm gonna add it to the OP immediately. Thank you.
Richarson Valley

Souji

Post by Souji »

All right guys, if we get a positive enough response from everyone, we're going to start official weekly, (although the timeframe may be subject to change), events in the spirit of welcoming new members to the IRC and Forums, as well as giving our older members something to do in their downtime! If you are interested in participating in any of these events, please make a post or PM me with what you would like to join and I will add your name below. Please notice that we will not set time frames until we get enough people and can set a time where everyone can join.

1. Art Class

Tired of trying to admire scribbles, or just can't perfect that arm or tree? We will do our best to help and turn you into a more capable artist in our #Housepets Art Class!

2. Group Gaming

Ok, Ill be blunt. I know the majority of you have Steam and already belong to the Housepets! group, but why don't we put that to use and actually do some gaming on it? (Warning: Games may be rated Mature and obviously past the rating of the forum/channel).
Also, any non-Steam games may be added at our discrection.

3. Competitions

This category generally entails anything mentioned above, but in a larger scale. Want to see what group of gamers or self-proclaimed artists can outshine the others? Sign up here and let the pencils, (and lead), fly! Art contests will be featured on the Housepets! DeviantArt page. If you don't have an account, they're free!

4. To be Discussed

If this is a success, we will consider adding more events to the list, but at the discretion of you, the Housepets! community. If you have any questions, PM me or feel free to join our IRC channel and ask. We hope to see you around!
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

I think those groups would be awesome if it actually happens. I'd gladly join the Art Class and willing to help out other people in drawing and the Gaming group. |D
Alex

Post by Alex »

Sorry I missed this post earlier. Nothing considering those groups is against the rules, so it's up to the users to discuss it. I don't have anything against it.
Richarson Valley

jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I think it's good idea, I'll join to this project, but I'm not sure I it'll be possible due to living in different time zones. This could be generaly small problem.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Souji

Post by Souji »

Seeing as how the general group response fell short of, well, a cohesive group, it probably won't happen. Sorry guys.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Too bad to hear this :|
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Sorry, I have not been active what-so-ever, so I really could not help it start up.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Okay, guys, I need to tell you something. It's about 2 rules in the main OP that seem to be... misunderstood. Both by the users and the moderators! Those rules are:
Don't swear!
I'm sure there are tons of words that can replace swearing. Note that a lot of people are swearing just because of a bad habit, and if it happens to you once or twice, it's not a big deal. If it continues, you will be warned. If it still continues, then you will be kicked/temporary banned.
It's quite true that furries can be much more touchy-feely than most people, but most of the cuddling and licking and stuff makes us look really furry. It's awkward for the non-furries, and can make some groups of people look exclusive as well as scaring people away. Remember, #Housepets isn't exclusive to furries alone!
- Glomping, hugging, and such stuff are okay. Intimate displays of affection should be avoided. It's much like how people can get very awkward or uncomfortable around a couple that is kissing or snuggling in an open park.
- It doesn't matter even if "you know what the limits are," because it's still FAR too easy to cross that limit unintentionally. That is no excuse to justify acts that can potentially jeopardize the comfortableness of other users!
-This rule applies to everyone and everything. Don't forget that.
When it comes to the first rule, please re-read what I wrote in August, 2009. IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL! You guys act like swearing is like killing someone. It happens. It's a bad habit. It happens when someone is angry, or sad (Which happens quite a lot with the community, as I have noticed). I swore in the chatroom sometimes, too. The responses I got were "OMG YOU SWORE" and then I got PM'd by several moderators saying how it's bad.

Please try to understand the difference between being annoying, and not being annoying, when it comes to swearing. If someone writes the F word 5 times in a sentence, or keeps constantly repeating it, that is annoying, that is bad, that deserves punishment. If someone says "Man I died in the game but didn't save, I'm so ******* angry", can that really be considered bad? Think about it. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!

Now, when it comes to the second rule, it's a bit more complicated. It's actually pretty much the same as the swearing rule. DON'T OVERDO IT! Remember, it's in the MINOR RULES section! All the mushy stuff is not forbidden, but do not overdo it. It's as described in the OP. Imagine sitting with your friends, and two of them are a couple and they kiss once. They kiss twice. Would that bother you? Probably not. You can still talk with the others, and with them, because 2 kisses aren't much. But imagine they start doing nothing but kissing, hugging and other mushy stuff. What would you do? I personally would tell them to go somewhere alone, because they're bothering us, we're bothering them, and it leads nowhere. So yeah, it's allowed, but DO NOT OVERDO IT! DON'T BE CREEPY!

I hope you use your common sense for these. If you still have any questions, or are unsure about posting something, feel free to contact me.
Richarson Valley

Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Ahem, while I agree that swearing isn't that much of a big deal. The IRC IS an extension of Housepets, we still should try to keep a clean image. There is a difference between accidental swearing, not even trying, and trying to swear as much as possible without getting devoiced/kicked.

And in my own defense, when I called out someone who swore, it was only a reminder, not a punishment. It is not the end of the world just because I PMed you about it, I am just letting you know. Just let me know it was accidental and we can be on our ways, no need to feel like you just killed a person.

The especially famous examples are the other word for darn and the place where bad people go. I had to remind about these because many might not consider it as a swear. Again, it is just a reminder, in case someone didn't know. It is not the end of the world.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

There are also those that if someone, especially a mod, curse, they ask "Its okay to say *****?" and sometimes pursue the matter, even if it was a mistake. V:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Okay so I had a thought

Why not make an IRC snippits thread?:V (If this idea gets successful enough, until then it'll stay in here. :B)

Where you could post funnies from the IRC and whatnot.

This might also help the forum members get more involved with the IRC, and the same to the IRC member, get them more involved with the forum.

Would this be a good idea, or a bad idea?V:
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it's a very good idea myself.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Souji

Post by Souji »

You already know how I feel on it. I approve.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

As long as those quotes are forum-appropriate, I see no problem with it. If you're confused at to whether or not they are, they're probably not.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

If it's a quote from Housepets Irc It's Forum appropriate.
Due to rules. Atleastnearlyallofthetime.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yeah, it is a good idea. IRC quotes. And Rojo is right, IRC rules are equal to the forum rules. So no need to worry about that.

Oh, and don't quote yourself.... that's just bad :\
Richarson Valley

Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

we totally already have a thread for that.

It's in forum games.
bwah bwah
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Where? Can't find it. O.o
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Tobee wrote:Where? Can't find it. O.o
this is a link
bwah bwah
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Not a very successful one though, right?:B
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

then bump it
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it should be in the main section of Not The Comic, personally. A lot of people don't go in there (myself included), and it's not exactly a game. When "useful" threads (like the old chat thread) go in there, I've noticed a lot of members who might be interested in it don't end up seeing it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alex

Re: Housepets! IRC: [Rules update again]

Post by Alex »

From now on, this has been added to the rules:

8)NO SWEARING
This rule is not up for discussion. ONE swear word will lead to a one-hour devoice, and more than one will lead to a one-day ban. Linking to something that has a swear word inside (Picture, video) will have the same consequences.
ANYONE WHO POINTS OUT THAT SOMEONE SWORE WILL BE DEVOICED FOR ONE HOUR! If you see someone swear, your job is to keep the logs or to take a snapshot or whatever, and show it to ME (Or any other mod present)!

As stated up there, it is not up for discussion!
Richarson Valley

CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Guys, let's not call out other users in a public space like this. If you have an issue with somebody in particular on the forums, you should PM a mod about it.
Image Image
Souji

Post by Souji »

There are ways to set modes in the channel, so that certain words (derived from a previous list), when messaged by a user, will dish out a set punishment. I wonder if it would be beneficial to try it?
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

It's called Spamserv, a similar service as Chanserv.
Which may be beneficial now, Due to the new rule.
Last edited by Rojo Ninja on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Souji

Post by Souji »

It may be time to bring it into the channel. I've already sent a message to Alex about it, so we shall see.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

We are discussing it and will contact Alex when he is online/awake.

ImageImage
ImageImage