Nominate and Vote for New Moderators

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: Nominate and Vote for New Moderators

Post by Obbl »

Beagle wrote:~Also, with that being said, Sleet has always been that one that has sort of been the average member's voice whenever something needs to be said. Kind of like the middleman between the average members and the Moderators if things go haywire. I'm not sure if it would be good to take that away, because once he/she has power, regular forumites will be more intimidated/not comfortable with speaking up around him/her.
Psykeout wrote:To a new member, mods are immediately unapproachable and even intimidating.
I have the opposite view. I always assume moderators are super amazing people, so I automatically have a very high opinion of them. But I also have no problem talking to moderators cause they're usually friendly people. (If there was an unfriendly mod I'd feel different, but I'd feel that way with any unfriendly forumite)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

my point is that there are so many members right now who are able to approach Sleet. many of them are very welcoming to new members, and therefore would be able to fill the same role Sleet is currently filling.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I nominate Dissension for global moderator.
I nominate Copper for Fan Projects.
I nominate CaptainPea for Not The Comic.
I nominate Tha Housefox for Role Playing.

I also want to make it clear that I disagree with the notion that I belong best as a normal member and would gladly take any degree of promotion offered to me. You guys, I'm not going to suddenly become a different person if my name turns blue or green. I do everything I can to help the forum, and all that would do is give me even more tools to do that. It'd be a good thing, you know...

At risk of sounding unprofessional, I'm actually somewhat hurt by being suggested against. I'm not obnoxious about it, so it might not be clear to everyone, but I really, really want this and I have for longer than many of you have even known me.
Last edited by Sleet on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I would honestly prefer Fan Projects or Roleplaying, but, if by some unforeseen circumstance I end up with Not the Comic, I will gladly accept.

I agree with the reasoning that Sleet bridges the gap between normal forumites and moderators. (S)he is and has been a very good middleman/woman, however I do believe that Sleet would be good at his job if she were to become a moderator.
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I will second Vespier Leo to be my competition.
Thank you Brent! :D :D I look forward to it! :D

I edit my previous nomination. Sleet for not the comic. Housefox for Fan projects, and Aaron for RP.

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

I would definitely vote for Dissension As a global mod

Now, maybe this is wrong to do, but can I nominate myself? Possibly? (Please don't kill me) Maybe just throwing that out there to see if anyone else approves. Perhaps for "Not the Comic"
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I will stand by your nomination adamantly, Sleet.

as for my nomination, If assistant mod is a possibility, I'd prefer that. maybe in charge of forum games. but I'd take the full nomination happily.

you cannot nominate yourself. read the OP. and so I don't sound mean, :lol:
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

what sleet said
Obviously you wouldn't become a different person, but you'd have a different status.

It comes down to this:

The only thing it will change is the color of your name; you're pretty much a mod right now
New members (NOT THE ONES WHO ALREADY KNOW WHO YOU ARE) will find you intimidating. You're ALREADY slightly intimidating to new members as it is. I remember when i first joined, I was a little nervous around someone as cool as you are.

The only thing making you a mod will do is intimidate new people and make you happy.
bwah bwah
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:I nominate Dissension for global moderator.
I nominate Copper for Fan Projects.
I nominate CaptainPea for Not The Comic.
I nominate Tha Housedog for Role Playing.
I believe these are all seconds, no? Except for that last one, who'se Housedog? Never met that guy.
Challenger01 wrote:I would definitely vote for Dissension As a global mod
Yeah
Challenger01 wrote:Now, maybe this is wrong to do, but can I nominate myself? Possibly? (Please don't kill me) Maybe just throwing that out there to see if anyone else approves. Perhaps for "Not the Comic"
No, but you can nudge a buddy
Image Image
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:but with Sleet being so friendly with many members of the forums, wouldn't giving him/her the mod position mean that there would be even more people who are friendly with a mod, making this seem like a friendlier forum? we'd have more people filling the shepherd role.
This is a completely valid point, and I understand what you're saying.

However, it's hard to find people that are as vocal and such a positive influence as Sleet. I'm not sure how it would be handled if a newbie came to another member (Member B, we'll call it) that was not Sleet asking for help about the Mods.
Also, wouldn't that potentially place Member B in a rocky position? Member B wants to help the newbie, but doesn't want to have to approach their close friend and say, "Hey look, you're not doing your job right"?

Sleet, I fully believe that you have, and I'll put this in caps so it's clear to everyone that I do have faith in you, OUTSTANDING potential to become a Moderator. I just want to make sure that every side of it all is heard so Rick and the Mods can make an accurate and informed decision. Sleet, you and I are close friends and I know who you are, and I want to make sure that if you do get "elected" it's because you've proven to be the best person possible for the job. If you get elected, it's because the best is the best, and it's the title you fully deserve.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

Tha Housefox wrote:I would honestly prefer Fan Projects or Roleplaying, but, if by some unforeseen circumstance I end up with Not the Comic, I will gladly accept.

I agree with the reasoning that Sleet bridges the gap between normal forumites and moderators. (S)he is and has been a very good middleman/woman, however I do believe that Sleet would be good at his job if she were to become a moderator.
I think that fan projects will fit you
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Again I ask: are people really that intimidated by mods? I never had this problem, so it seems odd to me. :|
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but Rick's putting it to a vote, so Rick and the current mods don't have complete control.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Obbl wrote:Again I ask: are people really that intimidated by mods? I never had this problem, so it seems odd to me. :|
Pretend you're new.

Go back to your first three days.

Would you rather send your PM to the Blue name or the purple one?

The one who you know has been here a long time and liked by everyone and respected and has the power to say what's right and wrong and friends with everyone and thinks you're just another newbie? or the one who's liked and respected just because (s)he's friendly?
Last edited by Psykeout on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwah bwah
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

True Brent. It is goint to be up to everyone to decide.. at least that seems to be what is going to happen fro what the origional post says.

--Vespier R. Leo
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Obbl wrote:Again I ask: are people really that intimidated by mods? I never had this problem, so it seems odd to me. :|
I've never been, but some people clearly are or were
I think Sleet should be put on the vote at this point (and (s)he kinda has been, by process) and we can let the votes decide.

And sure, I'll slip in a motion for Challenger for Not The Comic, why not?
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If a member had a question or problem with the moderators, it would be a lot easier to go to a moderator than to a member who's friends with all the moderators.

If people are so intimidated by moderators, maybe having moderators who actually post would help that? I joined back when the current global moderators still posted regularly and I looked up to them. I wasn't intimidated.
CaptainPea wrote:I believe these are all seconds, no? Except for that last one, who'se Housedog? Never met that guy.
I wasn't going to count how many times each person was moderated for each. :P Also, cuss. *fixes*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

That's right. You looked up to them.

because they were above you.
bwah bwah
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

On the subject of mods being seen as cooler than the normal members, in the end it all depends on the personality of the mods themselves. I doubt that they'll change drastically after being promoted.

I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated into joining this forum initially due to some bad (and I mean Bad!) experiences with the GMs in some other forums due to some misunderstanding (including flaming and cursing), and I'm already a timid person to begin with. But as I get to see and know the members and mods here, I get to see that this forum has the most newbie-friendly environment with caring and supportive members and mods, and this let me be at ease here. Well, speaking from a new member point of view, that is.

*ahem* Back on-topic, there seems to be quite a number of nominations already. Looking forward for a poll to see what's the consensus of the members here. :D

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Psykeout wrote:
Pretend you're new.

Go back to your first three days.

Would you rather send your PM to the Blue name or the purple one?

The one who you know has been here a long time and liked by everyone and respected and has the power to say what's right and wrong and friends with everyone and thinks you're just another newbie? or the one who's liked and respected just because (s)he's friendly?
The one who has more authority to get things done. (Assuming you mean I have a problem to PM about), else it doesn't matter to me. I have no problem talking to mods even when I'm new. (Not that I talk much in general when I'm knew, but you get the picture.)
I read Flint's comparison of mods and police officers, and I am intimidated by the police, but to me, mods are regular people who just happen to keep the peace on the forums.
Last edited by Obbl on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

I would think that nominations would be open for a while yet. some of those nominated haven't been able to put in their two cents yet. It is good to give them enough time to do so I would think...

--Vespier R. Leo
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Obbl wrote:The one who has more authority to get things done. (Assuming you mean I have a problem to PM about), else it doesn't matter to me. I have no problem talking to mods even when I'm new. (Not that I talk much in general when I'm knew, but you get the picture.)
I read Flint's comparison of mods and police officers, and I am intimidated by the police, but to me, mods are regular people who just happen to keep the peace on the forums.
I always felt that the mods were busy with whatever it was mods do and that i shouldn't impose on their time. I sort of assumed most people would want to make themselves scarce as well to them as well. But i could be wrong. I would never have become friends with sleet if (s)he were a mod.
bwah bwah
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I don't really want to read 2 pages of text to see who has been nominated right now, so I'll just put my 2 cents.

Sleet for Not the Comic
Dissension for Global Mod
Copper for Fan Projects

Thats all I've got.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Psykeout wrote:I always felt that the mods were busy with whatever it was mods do and that i shouldn't impose on their time. I sort of assumed most people would want to make themselves scarce as well to them as well. But i could be wrong. I would never have become friends with sleet if (s)he were a mod.
Well, I actually assume everyone is busy with whatever it is everyone is doing and that I shouldn't impose on anyone's time. I don't like bothering people.
I just don't hold any extra reservations towards mods ;)
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Let it be known that I nominate RockstarRaccoon for the Roleplaying section.

I can't really say much else that hasn't already been said, so I suppose I'll be on my merry way.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I second RR for RP.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I correct my statement: I apologize. I did not know this would be a decision made by everyone. I originally thought that it was solely Rick's and the Mods's decision. I'm sorry. Even still, we all have the right to hear all sides of the debate before we make a decision.

Psykeout, I do agree with your point of some people being more comfortable with talking to an average person rather than a Mod.
And while I'm not saying that everyone is like that, some people are. We already have friendly Mods for those who prefer the Mods first. I'm saying that we should give a little priority to those who don't feel that same way.

And if I gave anyone the impression that being a Moderator changes someone, I did not mean that at all. Granted, some people do change with power (and I am by no means saying that Sleet would), but ultimately it is more how others view them. Whether this view is into a more positive or negative light, I do not know for I am not the voice of all 400+ members on this forum.

I agree that this topic should be kept up a little bit longer so everyone can state their opinion or make a decision on who they would like to vote for.

And at that note, I bid you all goodnight.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Beagle wrote:And if I gave anyone the impression that being a Moderator changes someone, I did not mean that at all. Granted, some people do change with power (and I am by no means saying that Sleet would), but ultimately it is more how others view them. Whether this view is into a more positive or negative light, I do not know for I am not the voice of all 400+ members on this forum.
Everything that chick just said, this especially. I didn't want anyone to think i was saying that sleet would change
Last edited by Psykeout on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bwah bwah
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Dissension: There is a unanimous vote that you shall be Global Mod. That will be okay because you've already filled in that position, just not the color change. :P Nevertheless, I nominate you for the upgrade.

Sleet: As well as the point in question has been brought up, look at Diss: he's still as friendly as he was before he became a forum moderator, however, new members that met him after the mod promotion may have felt at-ease. Simply put, it's not like your personality will change at all, but it's a question of judgement that others will feel after your promotion. In reality, however, why would we need to worry about it? Since you will be the most active mod next to Diss, you'll be sure to show that you're more of a "with the people" kind of mod. Therefore, I nominate you for the "Not the Comic" section.

Tha Housedog (AKA Tha Housefox [had to change the name while I was gone, didn't ya?]): You'd fill in well for the "Fan Projects" section, seeing as how you give out an opinion in each thread.

I nominate Aquablast for the RP section, seeing as how he is able to judge fairness and equality to what is thought to be right from the majority, and will gladly take your opinion, in the case that he is seen as wrong. He is also seen active in that area, and has shown to deal with problems ahead of time before they form in the time he has been modding in the IRC.

Captain Pea: Why not shoot for "The Comic" section? I nominate you for it, seeing as you are able to procure witty comments, and are able to maintain good judgement in that area of expertise. ;3

Obbl: Yes, I've been there. :I
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

I vote Tha Housefox as a moderator of (Not the comic) and Dissension of a global moderator. (I misunderstood the quote so I edited this >w<)
Do you want me to level up? Click here! Shame that I can't show the pic here due to the size...

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

Housefox for Not the Comic
Dissension for Global Mod
Copper for Fan Projects

that's my 2 cents
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I think the assertion Sleet would be a lesser asset to the community as a moderator is fallacious. Sleet is easily the friendliest and most-easy-to-get-along-with person on the boards. New members will flock to him regardless of whether s/he's a mod.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

I'll throw in Sleet's name in the other basket and nominate him for a Global Mod since I know him as someone who doesn't snap under stress and is not one to dismiss posts for being too long (And he's a fox 8D). Also, (he's a fox! :3) .... he's observant.

(And he's a fox. O AO!!) Don't mind this fox beside me.

Equally eligible for the position is Dissension as he takes the job seriously and, if I recall correctly, has/had a job with similar requirements for a moderator.

As for local forum moderators, I've yet seen/read someone who would do a better job locally than globally.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I think they have to be a local forum mod before being allowed to be a global mod.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

All the mods seem cool. Right now, we have something awesome. A non-mod member that new people will look up to. Someone who people will be able to connect to the community through. Someone who people won't be immediately afraid of. Someone who people will be comfortable talking with and want to be friends with. Someone who all the new people will want to look like. Someone who people can realistically imagine themselves being like. Something that's nearly impossible to find.

You'll lose that if Sleet's promoted.
bwah bwah
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think they have to be a local forum mod before being allowed to be a global mod.
Sleet for Housepets Forum moderator?

Anyways his actions and experience in these forums is enough to grant him a shot for the global moderator position, in my opinion at least.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Rick has vetoed direct-to-global-mod promotions.
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

I can't see all that clearly where this argument about Sleet not being a mod going...

If Sleet became a mod, then (s)he'd become the world's friendliest mod. Wouldn't that make Sleet... the world's friendliest mod? And if Sleet was the world's friendliest mod, wouldn't that make these forums... the forums with the world's friendliest mod? And won't that make this entire community a better place in the long run? Because if we had a mod bursting with friendliness, then the new members would see this extremely friendly person as a mod, and all you already friendly people as members, and would think "Wow, what a great place!"

And everybody is saying things like a magical wall will be built between Sleet and the world, not letting Sleet contact anyone on the outside to prove how awesome he/she actually is. A moderator can still talk to people, still contribute to and be a part of the community.
No matter who you are, there will always be a period where people will not want to talk to you, where they may be intimdated. But once you talk to them, they'll know who you are. Once people know who Sleet is, they will never have a problem talking with him/her!
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

OK.

after some thought, I think that it would be better if we made Sleet a mod.

here's my final nominations:

Diss and Sleet for global mod
Captain Pea for The Comic or Not the Comic
Tha Housefox wrote:Rick has vetoed direct-to-global-mod promotions.
I am formally submitting a request to overturn the veto
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Psykeout wrote:The Comic or Not the Comic
that is the question. (couldn't resist).
I think the veto is a good idea. the global mods should have mod experience before being mods.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets