Nominate and Vote for New Moderators

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

rickgriffin
Site Admin

Nominate and Vote for New Moderators

Post by rickgriffin »

Hey everyone, it's been brought to my attention that a lot of the global moderators have had to take extended time off for whatever reason or other, so I sort of figure we need a little more help around here.

So I am currently thinking what we need is suggestions on who to
--NOMINATE for forum moderators (say which forum)
--PROMOTE to a global moderator from forum

Please don't nominate yourself, but feel free to ask someone else to nominate you. Seconding nominations will add them to the list. This will not be the official voting yet, however; once we have a sufficient number of nominations I'll open up a poll.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Re: Nominate and Vote for New Moderators

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet to forum mod (Not the Comic), Dissension to global mod.
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

I said The Housefox!!! for forum moderator and Dissension for global moderator!!!
Last edited by theblackcateyes on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

seconding diss for global mod
nominating
Captain Pea for The Comic
Last edited by Psykeout on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwah bwah
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I would Nominate Aaron M10 since he sure is giddy as a hamster to gain the ability to help out on the forums. I dunno which section of the Forums Aaron would prefer to be under though.

I would also suggest Promoting Dissension to a global Moderator because he sure does do stuff around everywhere anyways. XP
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Tha Housefox wrote:Sleet to forum mod (Not the Comic), Dissension to global mod.
I support these nominations.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

once someone's been seconded, is there any reason why you might continue to agree with the nomination?
bwah bwah
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Possibly to strengthen their position on the list
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it says "and vote" so I was unsure. will it become a poll once the nominations are over?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

rickgriffin wrote:once we have a sufficient number of nominations I'll open up a poll.
bwah bwah
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I guess I'm fifthing Diss for global :lol:
Nominating RandomGeekNamedBrent for Not the Comic, and seconding thirding Sleet's nomination
Last edited by Obbl on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Zman

Post by Z-Zman »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Tha Housefox wrote:Sleet to forum mod (Not the Comic), Dissension to global mod.
I support these nominations.
i'm supporting this support for nominations

Elephants are too big to fit in the Bible
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I need to learn to read things more thoroughly.*facepalm* anyway, Sleet's nomination hadn't been officially seconded, and So I just did.

EDIT:
Obbl wrote:Nominating RandomGeekNamedBrent for Not the Comic
was not expecting that. I'm flattered.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Diss for Global mod, definitely.

I'd say Sleet for forum mod...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

theblackcateyes wrote:I said The Housefox!!! for forum moderator and Dissension for global moderator!!!
I second/[number] both these nominations. Housefox might do well in the "Fan Projects" section...
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Obbl wrote:I guess I'm fifthing Diss for global
Nominating RandomGeekNamedBrent for Not the Comic, and seconding thirding Sleet's nomination
I support these nominations

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

I Back Diss for promotion Aaron For the rolplaying section and Sleet or Tha Housefox For not the comic.

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

*edits previous nomination*

Shouldn't the Nominee have to accept?
bwah bwah
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I personally can't think of anyone who would be a perfect choice for a regular (blue/purple) Moderator. However, several people have nominated Sleet. While I like the idea myself, I want to bring up some points of reason while considering if that's alright with you, Rick.

~Sleet has always been an active member of the Not The Comic section of the forum. He/She is very approachable, friendly, helpful and deals with any mishaps in a mature and stately way.

~However, I must play devil's advocate and say that I'm not sure how Sleet would handle that amount of power. He/she is on very friendly terms with many people on this forum, and I don't know if he/she could effectively and efficiently be able to hold up both the roles of a friend and an authority figure.

~Also, with that being said, Sleet has always been that one that has sort of been the average member's voice whenever something needs to be said. Kind of like the middleman between the average members and the Moderators if things go haywire. I'm not sure if it would be good to take that away, because once he/she has power, regular forumites will be more intimidated/not comfortable with speaking up around him/her.

All in all, for the reasons above, I do not believe Sleet should be a Moderator. I think he/she is just fine in the position he/she is in right now: enough influence with everyone to matter in a positive way, not enough power for things to potentially get messy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And while Aaron and I are good friends and I love the kid to death, I don't think he's quite yet old enough/mature enough to handle the responsibilities of a Moderating job. He's a good kid and all and he has many attributes that would prove well, but he's also only 16. He still has a busy life of his own; I don't think he has enough time to go through every single topic of a forum and keep the rules enforced/peace with the forumites.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pea is an active poster again? :o Sheesh, have I been under my rock that long? o.O

~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: I do agree that Tha HouseFox (I don't think that is spelled right) would probably be good for the Fan Projects section.

~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Brent, I've never personally talked with, but I've heard he is a very nice guy, so I agree he could possibly a moderator for something. But he hasn't been a forumite that long, has he? Things to consider, don't hit me!

~~~~~~~~~~

I can at least agree that Dissension should be promoted to Global Moderator.

~~~~~~~~~~~

(Please don't shoot me, anyone.)
Last edited by Beagle on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Beagle wrote:~However, I must play devil's advocate and say that I'm not sure how Sleet would handle that amount of power. He/she is on very friendly terms with many people on this forum, and I don't know if he/she could effectively and efficiently be able to hold up both the roles of a friend and an authority figure.

~Also, with that being said, Sleet has always been that one that has sort of been the average member's voice whenever something needs to be said. Kind of like the middleman between the average members and the Moderators if things go haywire. I'm not sure if it would be good to take that away, because once he/she has power, regular forumites will be more intimidated/not comfortable with speaking up around him/her.
I wasn't going to say anything for or against, but i agree with the arguments presented against Sleet.
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Beagle wrote: ~However, I must play devil's advocate and say that I'm not sure how Sleet would handle that amount of power. He/she is on very friendly terms with many people on this forum, and I don't know if he/she could effectively and efficiently be able to hold up both the roles of a friend and an authority figure.

1) Diss holds both of those positions fairly well
2) someone else could fill in the middleman/woman role.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

I'm voting Vespier Leo for not the comic section
and Diss for global mod :3
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Psykeout wrote:seconding diss for global mod
nominating
Captain Pea for The Comic
Oh you
If by chance I can bribe everyone enough to make it on the nominees list, I don't think I'd take The Comic, considering (if I did my math right) little more than 15 percent of my counted posts are there.
Beagle wrote: Pea is an active poster again? :o Sheesh, have I been under my rock that long? o.O
When did I take a leave of absence? I apparently wasn't paying attention at the time, because people have mentioned it to me a couple times and I've been confused [/irrelevance]

Everyone I would second already has, but I'll voice my support anyways that HouseFox MD or Sleet would be good for The Not the Comic
I can't say anything at all about the Roleplaying section because I've frankly never been there
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

CaptainPea wrote:HouseFox MD
I think your mixing a couple forumites there. Tougefox is the doctor. Housefox used to be Tha Housedog.
and I second Pea's nomination, sending him onto the list.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Beagle wrote: ~However, I must play devil's advocate and say that I'm not sure how Sleet would handle that amount of power. He/she is on very friendly terms with many people on this forum, and I don't know if he/she could effectively and efficiently be able to hold up both the roles of a friend and an authority figure.

Sleet is very friendly with the mods, and adding him to the roster would make them seem as more of an exclusive group to newer members. She's already very good at keeping things peaceful without actually being a mod, and giving him a mod status wouldn't give her a whole lot more power he doesn't already possess.

Sleet is one of the first members that newer members recognize as being "important," being a prominent and respected figure, very personable, and currently holding the highest post count (NOT THAT THAT'S SOMETHING YOU SHOULD STRIVE FOR). It's valuable to have her on the member side, acting as a sort of bridge between newer members and older ones.

Nominating The Brawler for Not The Comic, for the lulz.
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I think Sleet would be an effective moderator. I don't know whether being in that position would make it any less approachable. CaptainPea would be a strong alternate for Not the Comic. Copper or The Hausphox would do well in the Fan Projects section (if we're still looking for help with those boards), since they both spend a lot of time in there. Hausphox would also be really well-suited to the role playing section (if ctcmjh needs help there).

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

CaptainPea wrote:HouseFox MD
I think your mixing a couple forumites there. Tougefox is the doctor. Housefox used to be Tha Housedog.
I was making a joke, really
I had no idea Tougefox was a doctor
Dissension wrote:CaptainPea would be a strong alternate for Not the Comic.
I'm so strong that I can throw things

Also, the business about being a mod making you unlikable or scary is silly
Image Image
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

1) I know Dissension is a very friendly Moderator. However, he is friendly whilst keeping a safe amount of distance from personal relations.
This is a mix of 1 & 2) Sleet has always been like everyone's older sibling; he/she is always there to speak up with enough influence to matter, while still staying on good terms with all involved, whether it be authority or friend.
2) I truly, honestly, doubt that. There are very few people that have been around so long and are also friends with so many people (practically everyone) on this forum.
Psykeout wrote:

Sleet is very friendly with the mods, and adding him to the roster would make them seem as more of an exclusive group to newer members. She's already very good at keeping things peaceful without actually being a mod, and giving him a mod status wouldn't give her a whole lot more power he doesn't already possess.

Sleet is one of the first members that newer members recognize as being "important," being a prominent and respected figure, very personable, and currently holding the highest post count (NOT THAT THAT'S SOMETHING YOU SHOULD STRIVE FOR). It's valuable to have her on the member side, acting as a sort of bridge between newer members and older ones.
And Psykeout, I agree with you completely.

Also, Brent, if it got missed in my previous post, I think you might be a good potential candidate for a forum moderator.
Last edited by Beagle on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Psykeout wrote:The Brawler
if you're going to nominate him, spell it right. it's Teh Brawler.

and nevermind about Touge, that's J.D.M., not MD.

and I second Diss's nomination of Copper for Fan projects.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Captain Pea wrote:Also, the business about being a mod making you unlikable or scary is silly
It doesn't make you unlikable, but it does add intimidation. Sleet, as (s)he is, is very approachable. Generally speaking, newbies immediate impression of the mods is that they're of a higher status in the forum and less approachable. It's good to have such a nice guy/girl engage newer members into the community. We'd loose that if (s)he became a mod. (s)he'd just become another Mod that's fifty times cooler than you are.
bwah bwah
FlintTheSquirrel

CaptainPea wrote:Also, the business about being a mod making you unlikable or scary is silly
I will have to say the same thing about Police. People tend to get nervous when around police because they feel that the Police will get mad at them for some random reason. The intimidation and the fact that they have power over you is kinda a fear that many can not really overcome. ^^;
And I do agree that Aaron would be better suited for the Roleplay Section if anything, partially because he was assistant Moderator in one of the bigger RPs. But I dunno, I guess it is because that is the only RP I check in the first place. XP
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Honestly, when I first joined I found everybody that had been on the forums for three seconds more than me intimidating, I think because there's an assumed authority in seniority which sometimes seems more impressive than Moderatular power. I dunno, maybe I'm just weird.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:and I second Diss's nomination of Copper for Fan projects.
I support this as well
Image Image
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Psykeout wrote:
Captain Pea wrote:Also, the business about being a mod making you unlikable or scary is silly
It doesn't make you unlikable, but it does add intimidation. Sleet, as (s)he is, is very approachable. Generally speaking, newbies immediate impression of the mods is that they're of a higher status in the forum and less approachable. It's good to have such a nice guy/girl engage newer members into the community. We'd loose that if (s)he became a mod.
Agreed. Also, with Sleet serving as a MiddlePerson/Bridge, it incites the newbies to get comfortable with the regular members and then they can branch out and become friendly with the Mods after their anxiety has worn off.

Also, isn't that what we want? Is for the Mods to seem approachable? If there are other people that are more on a "peer level" that approve of the Mods, then this promotes the newbies to understand that this is a friendly forum, one filled with good people and good rules that keep this place such a clean and awesome environment. I know that there have been some forums I had been thinking about joining, but after hearing about the Mods from fellow members, I was apprehensive about joining. Every forum needs a Sleet to keep the peace, not hold the power.

And FlintTheSquirrel, I completely agree with your correlation of the police and moderators. It's very much the exact same concept.
FlintTheSquirrel

Sorry I keep posting. >_<

My Votes:
Dissension --> Global Moderator
Copper --> Fan Fiction Moderator
AaronM10 --> RolePlay Assistant Moderator
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

It almost feels wrong to use TV Tropes against Sleet, but...

right now, Sleet is filling the role of the shepherd. Which is rare to find ANYWHERE on the internet. If (s)he get's promoted, we won't have that anymore.
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but with Sleet being so friendly with many members of the forums, wouldn't giving him/her the mod position mean that there would be even more people who are friendly with a mod, making this seem like a friendlier forum? we'd have more people filling the shepherd role.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:but with Sleet being so friendly with many members of the forums, wouldn't giving him/her the mod position mean that there would be even more people who are friendly with a mod, making this seem like a friendlier forum? we'd have more people filling the shepherd role.
This is kind of what I'm feeling.
As I said, when I was new I don't think I really paid much attention to whether or not people were moderators, but that's possibly because I only rarely ran into them.

Yo, Sleet, are your ears burning yet? Want to come over, give your two cents?
At this point it seems like (s)he should be the deciding factor in whether or not (s)he's nominated.
Image Image
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

I might have already said it but I second Aaron for the Rp section. then Tha housefox for not the comic... or sleet.

Additionally. Thank you sonic for nominating me! :D

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I will second Vespier Leo to be my competition.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:but with Sleet being so friendly with many members of the forums, wouldn't giving him/her the mod position mean that there would be even more people who are friendly with a mod, making this seem like a friendlier forum? we'd have more people filling the shepherd role.
Everyone on the forum right now (excluding the new members) knows what's up. we've been here, we know who's who.

It's the new members we need to worry about.

To a new member, mods are immediately unapproachable and even intimidating.

If we make sleet a mod, newbies think he's intimidating
If we leave Sleet a member, newbies will be forced to judge her on his character; an amazing chick who's really friendly, and they'll see it's easy to fit in.

Sleet has been around a long time, and wants to be a mod, and it would make him happy. But she would be much worse of in that position.
bwah bwah