card games lol

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Vespier Leo

Re: card games lol

Post by Vespier Leo »

The general use of magic is called "Practice". But I doupt they would be the same...

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Two things. One, I think you're getting Magic: the Gathering confused with something else when you mention "practice", Vespier.

Secondly, if you want to count artifacts, which for the most part will use any color to work, than you could probably make an argument for them being a distinct color.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

In the expansion from this spring, they came out with some spells and creatures that were colorless and weren't artifacts. And in fall of '08 there were artifacts that weren't colorless. :P

Colorless is only an honorary color in my book.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

naylorfan90 wrote:One, I think you're getting Magic: the Gathering confused with something else when you mention "practice", Vespier.
The difference between the Two is quite clear to me... But I suppose I will stick to Playing cards...

--Vespier R. Leo
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:In the expansion from this spring, they came out with some spells and creatures that were colorless and weren't artifacts. And in fall of '08 there were artifacts that weren't colorless. :P

Sleet, I have just one thing to say to you: HOLY @%$ those cards are insane!
Well okay, I also have to say that I'll definitely bow to your greater expertise in the area.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Sleet wrote:In the expansion from this spring, they came out with some spells and creatures that were colorless and weren't artifacts. And in fall of '08 there were artifacts that weren't colorless. :P

Sleet, I have just one thing to say to you: HOLY @%$ those cards are insane!
Well okay, I also have to say that I'll definitely bow to your greater expertise in the area.
Of course they are, they're the biggest creature aura and the biggest creature ever made. The only criterion for those colorless non-artifacts is that they have to be huge and really hard to cast. They all cost at least 7. If they ever make a creature bigger than that it'll be many years from now. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I know this might seem like a necro, but last time I tried talking about card games in the chat thread I was told to come here. So yeah...

Anyway, I got my first Magic the Gathering starter deck today...New Phyrexia. Honestly, I have no idea what the heck I'm getting into. Gotta say the arts good though. (also, having played yu-gi-oh my entire life, you should've seen the shock on my face when I saw how many 'land' cards there were)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Awesome! One of us! One of us!

If you're feeling patient, maybe we could play over the internet some time!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

hehe, I'd love that! Although, with that being said, I have absolutely no idea how to play. The 'how to play' that came with the starter deck's not really helped much either. All I know is that to summon cards, you need to tap your land cards. I get the 'strength' is how much life you can take off an enemy, and the 'toughness' is how much life your monster has?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Technically it's power rather than strength and creature rather than monster. But yeah, that's the basics of combat. I can do my best to teach you if it's not too frustrating over the internet!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

my apologies, I'm far too used to played Yi-Gi-Oh. I'll have a looksy myself first though. I can;t expect you to teach me everything from scratch after all. :P
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Hey hey

There's a magic the gathering on steam now. :p
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

ooh, yeah! I forgot about that! If it's cheap, I might have a looksy at it. ^^
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I believe it's only versus computers, and you can only modify decks, not build them from scratch. But it's a great way to learn the basics. But you can come to me with any questions!

Anyone else play this game and want to play over an IM service or even PMs?
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

You can play versus other players aswell, sleet. in 2v2 combat at least. :P
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ooh, I didn't know that. It's almost enough to make me want to buy the game, if it weren't for the fact that I love having my own decks too much. I have over a dozen decks of my own and that's half the fun for me!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I do think they will add that feature sometime in the future. ... Maybe.. hopefully?

I don't know, but they probably will |3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I doubt it. The games are mostly supposed to be an introduction so I think they worry about scaring people off by being too complicated.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I might play the game int he future anyway. I doubt I know how to make a deck at this time after all. Anyway, thanks to Sleet, I know how to play the game now. Feel free to challenge me anybody. :D
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Is it a bad thing That I only know how to play regular Card games?

--Vespier R. Leo
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

nope, in fact I'd call that a good thing. I don't know that many card games with playing cards.
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

My favorite card game is Poker. Very profitable, not to mention easy.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Well, learning new card games are fun! Too bad most card games that doesn't use regular playing cards are hard to practice with.

Actually, you know what? I am going to learn Magic the Gathering too! ... After I check out some Yugioh site first!
Chaplin wrote:My favorite card game is Poker. Very profitable, not to mention easy.
Online? Or in real world? These are two different arts!
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

Real life. All you have to do is put on aviators, chew on a toothpick, find your deepest voice, and glare. Glare until your opponent is soiling :P their pants. Even if you have bad cards, nobody's ever gonna call your bluff.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

44R0NM10 wrote:I might play the game int he future anyway. I doubt I know how to make a deck at this time after all. Anyway, thanks to Sleet, I know how to play the game now. Feel free to challenge me anybody. :D
Deckbuilding is my specialty! If you need a primer, I'm here for ya!
Aquablast wrote:Actually, you know what? I am going to learn Magic the Gathering too! ... After I check out some Yugioh site first!
Awesome! *high five*
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Man, do I have to revisit my deck everytime I play Yugioh? Oh the amount of new cards!
Chaplin wrote:Real life. All you have to do is put on aviators, chew on a toothpick, find your deepest voice, and glare. Glare until your opponent is soiling :P their pants. Even if you have bad cards, nobody's ever gonna call your bluff.
That's real life alright. But online... Nobody can see each others body language, there are only odds and betting behavior (and trash-talking but I mute these). No one can read you correctly as long as you don't be predictable, and you don't need to read anyone if you know your odds! (Actually, sometimes you do against really tight players but eh.)
Sleet wrote:Awesome! *high five*
*High fives back!* ... Though not yet, Sleet! :P
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

I apreciate Poker to. I am VERY good at it. :)

--Vespier R. Leo
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

Actually, mutter random cocky-sounding stuff in Spanish, and everyone will think you're the master of good hands.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

A little question for the Magic players here, is there any FREE Seriously, make sure it doesn't cost a dime website where I can play Magic without buying any cards on the website or in real life?
Sent from my conifer.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Need more Yugioh players! How can Dyna, Yeho, Flint, Ron, and I be the only Yugioh players on Housepets? Oh, and We (me, Dyna, and Yeho) are currently using http://www.duelingnetwork.com/ which is pretty neat and easier to use than Yugioh Virtual Desktop!
Vespier Leo wrote:I apreciate Poker to. I am VERY good at it. :)
Online? Or in real world? If you want to play online, I can play Texas Hold'em with you!
yehoshua wrote:A little question for the Magic players here, is there any FREE Seriously, make sure it doesn't cost a dime website where I can play Magic without buying any cards on the website or in real life?
I would use a program called Apprentice. It is free but completely manual like the Dueling Network for Yugioh!

Edit: Okay, for people who want to use Apprentice but don't know how to get it/set it up:

1. Get Apprentice here! (Pick Full Download)
2. Get the updated patch here! (This might not be the lastest patch, but since I am new to this so I am not sure)
3. Install Apprentice
4. Extract the patch to the Apprentice folder, replace all

And there! For those with no idea about making a deck, you can copy the pre-constructed decks from the Magic 2011 Intro Pack Decklists as a start, or ask someone who knows a lot about Magic (like Sleet?)
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

you guys really should have told me about this Dueling Network thing! I'll be getting this real soon. :mrgreen:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aquablast wrote:or ask someone who knows a lot about Magic (like Sleet?)
Yep! I'm here for any and all Magic advice. :3

Unless you happen to be extremely experienced, in which case a webcomic forum isn't where you should be going for advice. :lol:
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

Hmmmm... I am a Magic player too... I think I could be helpful here :D
Do you want me to level up? Click here! Shame that I can't show the pic here due to the size...

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Aquablast wrote:Need more Yugioh players! How can Dyna, Yeho, Flint, Ron, and I be the only Yugioh players on Housepets? Oh, and We (me, Dyna, and Yeho) are currently using http://www.duelingnetwork.com/ which is pretty neat and easier to use than Yugioh Virtual Desktop!
*Ehem*
I also play Yu-Gi-Oh, you know.
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Mystic Wolf wrote:Hmmmm... I am a Magic player too... I think I could be helpful here :D
What kinds of decks do you like to play?
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

I have a white-green maze ^w^ (A lot of Selesnya)
Do you want me to level up? Click here! Shame that I can't show the pic here due to the size...

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ooh, cool. I really like Selesnya decks a lot, but oddly enough I don't have any! The first deck I ever made was white-green but it was with my friend's cards and he loses like everything...
Mystic Wolf

Post by Mystic Wolf »

Mine wins almost everything! The first maze I had was of blue ninjas (horrible deck), I found Djiin Mahamoti, but it's an horrible card

Image Image Image Image
-
Image Image
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Speaking as a newbie to the game, what's a maze deck?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Speaking as a fairly knowledgeable and skilled player, what's a maze deck?