What made you start drawing?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NickCole

What made you start drawing?

Post by NickCole »

This can apply to anyone who has recently started drawing or even planning to start. xD

I don't exactly remember but I do recall that I've already been drawing since I was 7 or younger. It was just little Mario stickman fanart. I was already a fan of Mario games that time and loved them. xD I've even doodled on Paint then my dad saw my drawings and was impress for some reason. So impressed that he printed and laminated it out. o_o.. I then stopped drawing after a while.

Long story short-ish, I met a friend that made me interested in drawing when I was in Primary 5 and made little comics. That continued until I was in High School, Form 2. Then another friend showed me the world of anime. That heavily influenced my style which is my current style. After that, I started to take my drawings a little more seriously.

I only continue drawing 'cause I want to be a Game Designer. xD

So...what's your story? What got you into drawing?
CY_Law

Re: What made you start drawing?

Post by CY_Law »

Well aside from doodling at a very young age...but I assumed everyone does that yea? |D
(First thing's first, I doodled alot during my young age, that should explains how I got into drawing easier) Then I shall probably start from my elementary school period o 3o, where there's this pair of twins who're *pretty good*(I was still naive that time |D *bricked*) and I got into drawing(yes I like to follow other people's action that time o_o), kinda half-officially if that makes any sense. I did some Final Fantasy fan art thing, and among other stuffs, showed it to them, kinda surprised to actually get some compliment out of it, and kinda developed my liking towards paper and pencil that time I assume. |D
Up to this point, it is still a hobby though, I do still doodle things everywhere, and made some traces of pictures using eye-balling method(and turned out great, surprisingly), and(not chronologically) I found out I already have a grasp on lighting and shadow(basic shading), at the age of less than 10, though when I try to apply it, it is obviously easily misunderstood as something else but that's what I saw in other samples and learned about how lighting applies on objects and such. Then I kinda swore to myself that they just don't understand it, and that I kinda need to overcome this anyway |D and this might indirectly sparks my preference towards drawing inanimate stuff instead of dynamic objects like figure and such. I then proceeds to draw more, through school's art class though(which sucks), but I kinda like it, and found out that I (very often) overdo stuff o_o, I once made a drawing, it is nice, but it is of different theme and I overdid the coloring which = poor grade |D... but I starts to like color pencils after that.
**fast forward** the main drive in drawing probably comes from High/secondary school period |D where I think much wider and get to make choices. And I've refined my drawing skills pretty much(yes doodling on school notes helps alot, not sure about the grade though *bricked*), but still isn't sufficient to do anything good, but multiple compliments have actually drove me to choose and take up an art course o_o it is a big risk, yeah. Considering I have the ability to actually take other courses like medicine etc etc, call me crazy, but I chose my interest instead. Seeing the market and such...fingers-crossed.

Now I'm a 2nd year student of a 3 year Digital Animation course, and this is probably the best thing, which is the fact that "I do really enjoy what I learned from it, despite the heavy workload, I find the freedom(and the skills) to create something visually convincing to be priceless".

All and all, the keywords here are "compliment, encouragement, and interest"
And that's the summary of what got me into drawing |D...
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I'm planning to start drawing as soon as I get my tablet

Why? Cause you all have so awesome art, I wanna learn how to draw awesome art aswell ;A;

I SHALL SUCCEED!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I started drawing on a whim because I wanted to draw Lucid's fursona.

Now I need to get back into doing it because it's been a while...
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

I started drawing because I wanted to be able to illustrate what I'm talking about. Sometimes in the past when I describe things I wished I could just go "like this!" and draw it.

Now I still can't, but I'm getting there. Drawing is a useful skill.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I will think about it, cause I've always want to learn how to draw well, so maybe finally I'll get enough motivation and start doing something with this ;)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
The Game

Post by The Game »

I'm failry terrible at even doodling, but I draw mostly out of boredom.

Also, I wanted to see if I could put my writing into pictures (which I still can't, but drawing comic strips is fun). Even though my sketches barely resemble people, it's really funny when I'm finished with a panel and everything is waayyy off. :lol:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The truth is I never have really tried to draw anything.In grade school, a girl asked me to draw a few pokemon for her. In did, and she loved them. I got a hug out of it. :lol:

That is all of my artistic experience though. I kind of want to try drawing just to see if I can. I have no idea if I can or not...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

I started drawing when I was very young though I din't really persue it much. then I too several years of art classes throughout all of middle and highschool that had me focusing on realism.. I was not very good at it. Then. about a year ago. I decided to take it up again in order to see if I could become good enough to Draw the characters from my novels. Now I am finding that I really enjoy it! :D

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Awe.

You.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

I enjoyed drawing and doodling throughout my childhood, I took several Art/Advanced Art classes in middle school, and then my 'art' kinda died off after that. Then you people... Darn you people >:U Inspiring me to start drawing again. But as all (most) artists have issues with their own form of art, I cant stand to look at most of what I draw, and or I cant express things the way I want, so I get discouraged.

Its an ongoing struggle with me. |D

ImageImage
ImageImage
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

Money. I draw people's portraits. Get 3 bucks for each drawing. Beats a paper route.

My obsession with making furry art was all Rick Griffin's doing.
Regular Bird

Post by Regular Bird »

NickCole, ARE YOU ME? :shock: Except for the whole Dad laminating picture thing. Lol

I got into drawing back in elementary, I blame Pokemon since I wanted to draw some,
I made fan art of games, some little comics, and now a days I just draw in my agenda or notes.

And I blame my friends and the internet for getting me back into drawing.

Also, I SWEAR I created the Scion xB! Once as a little kid, I drew a square with wheels!
Can't think of anything witty.
dA. / FA.
Medli

Post by Medli »

Well I usually only drew in art class, where I failed since I didn´t draw much better than back then when I was a doodling child o3o
NOWADAYS I draw abstract stuff because everyone can do that, but I still am never satisfied with the outcome :/
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

Well... I don't draw, I do computer art on Photoshop.
I can't draw at all.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Ever since i was say about 7 I've been watching cartoons, I've probably invested a huge amount of time on this. And when I got into 3rd grade is started doodling. And as time passed i started getting better at a variety of cartoons i would see. And now I don't doodle many cartoons from TV shows anymore considering so many of the good ones died out. (i hate you Disney,CN,and Nick) But now I have furry art which is ok for me just as long as it doesn't go down the drain like the disney channel.
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

Ive been drawing my whole life, but only got serious about it after i saw all the great art on the Art Thread and Deviant Art. I decided i wanted to be a good artist like all you guys!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I draw because it was something to do when I was bored and I can't really think of many other things I'm good at.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Dubiousity wrote:I draw because it was something to do when I was bored and I can't really think of many other things I'm good at.
Heh, I've got same "motivation" to do it, only exception is that I'm not good at this, but I'll try to improve my skills ;)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Z-Zman

Post by Z-Zman »

I do you it cause of boredom. though, i probably got the skill from my mom

Elephants are too big to fit in the Bible
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

I've been drawing since I was three and I really haven't stopped. That's 15 years under the belt and I'd say I'm really good at drawing realistically, but lately I've been trying to branch out to cartooning.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

You artists, and all your art-skills. >:U

As for my contribution to the thread, or lack thereof, I don't really recall ever (trying) drawing anything notable up until I got my TabletPC, I started to draw a few things, some furries that i wanted to (try to) illustrate and other random objects, but ended up dropping it indefinitely because of lack of motivation.
(what is this "inspiration" you speak of, seeing other people' better things only reminds me how bad I am by comparison... <_<)
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
exranio

Post by exranio »

Jelously, boredom and cartoons.
I always made little doodles. I could never draw anything remotely worth looking at till 8th grade which is when I started watching anime alot. I always was a furry sense sonic so the doodles had one character that could transform. I already al the characters I drew had cat ears or something. Eventually I started drawing anthros. I can't really draw people any more not that I ever drew them any good.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Well I alway's made some "meh" drawings in class out of boredom, but at one point I was bored and started to draw a bit more on paper.
then I noticed the housepets comic and tough: "I wonder if I could draw like that, it looks a lot like my own style"

Before being on housepets:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/ ... ecrath.jpg

after timeline:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/ ... ecrath.jpg

I started the refur project
the the OOC request a drawing,

I have not drawn much at all lately tough, i'm kinda loosing my touch in it and keep coloring stuff (I always had more fun coloring and shading ^_^)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I had this cool idea, and I drew it. I get obsessed over something (like elevators or computers or Pepsi or clean energy or undisclosed hopes and dreams) and I draw it. Apparently it's easier to draw things and logos than people and furries.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

I started to draw when I was 4. In that time, I was obsessed with cars, so I only draw cars... my drawings at that age were really crappy. I stopped drawing at the age of 6 for unknown reasons. I started to draw again at the age of 7-8 because of the Sonic the Hedgehog T.V series called "Sonic X" or something. I stopped drawing, again, at the age of 10, because I lost interest for drawing. At the end of 10 and between the age of 13, I only did some drawings at school... at the back of the notebook and my other books... Drawing mustaches count, right? Anyway, I started to grow interest at the age of 13 (at the end of that age of 13, I mean) because of DeviantArt, Russia and other stuff, and started to draw, again, at the age of 14 because of DeviantArt and Housepets!. So, cars, Sonic the Hedgehog, DeviantArt, Russia, politics and Housepets! made influence on me to start drawing.
Now, I am making commissions, or, like I like to call it "Community Service", I know I am not that great at drawing, but I would like to do some drawings for the people. Also, you can check my crappy gallery at DeviantArt, you only have to click on that little button that says "WWW" at the bottom of this reply.
And yeah... I think that's it.
I almost forgot, my lovely sister inspired me to draw, too! Dang, I miss her...
Last edited by Russiarules1 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Because I seemingly like bashing my brains out on something that I will never fully master or enjoy.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Be been drawing from a very young age, and ever since then I've been fascinated with any style of art, painting, pencil&paper, pastels. My art teacher was impressed in 5k because I could draw perspective. (not perfectly, but for a 5k-we it was pretty good. I then mastered shadows and shading in second grade, found out about furries in 7th grade, and here I am now in 9th grade. X3
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

hmm.
the furry fandom.
hm.
bwah bwah
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I have been doing Japanese calligraphy lately, and recently I purchased the proper writing tools to do it. I'm pretty new at it so I have a ways to go before I really get good.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I had a real cool idea for a concept device. Wait, does this count?
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I just have a love for art, I was never good at drawing but I kept trying and I finally started doing things that didn't embarras me, I love being able to draw but I love almost every other form of art. I also play the guitar, I love being able to draw or play guitar in my free time now, it just makes me happy :)
Sent from my conifer.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

What inspired me to draw, I think, was a book I can no longer find that was about Charles Schulz and "Peanuts". It had OLD Peanuts comics from the 1950's, when Linus was a baby, which surprised me, and I think my first drawing style emulated that--it was simple enough for me to emulate, unlike my favorite artist of the time, Dr. Seuss.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Reima

Post by Reima »

I have pictures in my head that I can't describe in words (I could, but people wouldn't visualize it the same way I do).
Since I am unable to instantly transmit these pictures to other people, I need to learn how to draw them.
I never drew much when I was young because I had two sisters who were AMAZING artists, which discouraged me when I looked at my art.

Mainly, I draw because I love telling stories, and drawing helps me to build those stories.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

An interest in doing artwork is a pretty new thing for me. A little while back, I started liking calligraphy, so I started doing some of the Japanese writings. And as of a week ago, I started doing some artwork of my fan-fic characters. I'd really like to develop a good style of drawing though. Once I get good enough, I'd like to do more furry art, or perhaps even some Japanese animation style art, which is pretty cool.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Zander

Post by Zander »

This comic.

Wow. I think i have the shortest explanation here.
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Foxstar wrote:Because I seemingly like bashing my brains out on something that I will never fully master or enjoy.
I second this explanation. :lol:

However, I have drawn some things that came out halfway decent. Those creations have been rare, but they DID happen.... =P
Let me tell you about Homestuck.

Post by 0404 »

I just enjoyed art class when I was grade K
and I started drawing by my self at 12. I just wanted to draw stuffs on my diary/jurnal.
Last edited by 0404 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I started drawing from a young age (about 4,5) for real, just doing observational stuff for the next few years. If it was an interesting vase, a colourful flower or anything else I'd get out my pencils and get it done. Around age 8 I started drawing anthro characters for the first time, without being aware of what they really were. Quite honestly, most of them were Ratchet & Clank rip-offs, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

The school system has crushed and invigorated my love for drawing at several points throughout my life. At the beginning of primary school, it was taken away from me and put on a shelf to gather dust. Ah, the seeming knowledge of adults - take away what they love and they're certain to start learning. Whatever, by the end I'd reclaimed my skill by force and regularly enjoyed wowing my friends and teachers with some of my work. Around there begins a rivalry with my friend Liam, with whom I'd share some of my most heated battles in the craft. This would go on until high school where he would forfeit and I'd continue.

Middle school was where I'd really begin to take everything to the next level. My 6th grade teacher, Mrs Collins, was my driving force and was happy to show me new shading techniques and mediums in Art class while the rest of the class goofed off. Don't get me wrong, I never tried to command her attention - but the opportunities that arose for creativity were too good to pass up. High school has been a mixed bag - whereas the tools at your disposal are almost limitless, your freedom is not. I took Art as a subject and for the first time I would have set topics to cover and, even worse, deadlines! Having to rush some of my pieces and transforming my hobby into a job estranged me from the program for some considerable time. Only about three months from the end did I manage to regain some of my previous flair and interest to salvage what could have definitely been a D-/F.

But currently, I am free to draw and create whatever I like, and I'm not taking Art next year :D

So in short, nothing made me start drawing. I just picked it up and never put it down.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

I'd say it was mostly a mix of boredom and wanting to prove to myself I could actually do it that really got me started. But to be honest, it was finding my way here, to the HP! forums, and then subsequently onto the HP! IRC that has actually kept me pursuing it. I probably would have just given up on it again as I have done so many times in the past if not for the other artists here.

So yeah, to recap...boredom, having something to prove to myself, and this place.