Arc 42: Not All Dogs

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
IceKitsune

Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:Man I already have the next arc in mind. I'm gonna try something tricky this time too, it's going to be completely irreverent AND have a strong plot
Well I didn't mean have it be the next arc but maybe you know like at the end of summer or maybe the Christmas Arc or something? Also can't wait for the next one. :D
valerio

Post by valerio »

rickgriffin wrote:Man I already have the next arc in mind. I'm gonna try something tricky this time too, it's going to be completely irreverent AND have a strong plot
Housepets Rule #3: In Rick We Trust :D
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Well, remember, he ended "Down on the Farm" on a cliffhanger, and gave us FERRETS in between that and the resolution. IF he's planning something like that now, I could live with it.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Everyone hated that I did that though
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

valerio wrote:No. As far as things are going, he WAS human. Now he can effectively choose which nature to adopt and follow it.
And although he was transformed against his will, and not out of Pete's kind heart, he WAS given a chance to do something better with his life than spending time in prison, living in rancor and hurting other pets again and again.
King has a better life ahead of him as a dog, IMO he should grab that chance.

As for Sabrina... https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/08/18/in-bed/
As far as King's concerned he IS human. I'm not talking about what he "should" or "shouldn't" do, I'm talking about why he WOULDN'T choose to remain a dog. You might as well ask why abused children would choose to stay with their abusive parents rather than get put in foster homes that would treat them better. Abusive or not, their parents are THEIR PARENTS. Abusive or not, children love their parents--to take them away forcibly would TRAUMATIZE them and probably make them think it was THEIR fault for being bad kids. In other words, their parents couldn't abuse them physically, but the psychological traumatic effects would remain and be even WORSE. Not to mention it only AVOIDS the problem, it doesn't solve it.

And NO. The next King arc will NOT take THAT long (I don't even think we're going to see that at all).

EDIT: Can't please everyone, Rick.
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
valerio

Post by valerio »

rickgriffin wrote:Everyone hated that I did that though
Because you killed our hopes together with Peanut's heart. That was mean!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Everyone might hate it MORE if this ending were left hanging LONGER.

Or did you mean that another way? You're just going to be quiet and mysterious, aren't you?
valerio

Post by valerio »

ChewyChewy wrote:As far as King's concerned he IS human. I'm not talking about what he "should" or "shouldn't" do, I'm talking about why he WOULDN'T choose to remain a dog. You might as well ask why abused children would choose to stay with their abusive parents rather than get put in foster homes. Abusive or not, their parents are THEIR PARENTS. Abusive or not, children love their parents--to take them away forcibly would TRAUMATIZE them and probably make them think it was THEIR fault for being bad kids.

And NO. The next King arc will NOT take THAT long (I don't even think we're going to see that at all).

EDIT: Can't please everyone, Rick.
1) Joel was transformed as full adult. I doubt he'd feel the need to stay with his abusive parents, by now (that is, if he's still iving with them at all. Usually, abused children have either left the families or have been separated from them for their own good)
2) I was just hypotizing about the time, sheesh. Rick has proven that he won't left unattended details in his comic, so Tarot's prophecy with Sabrina still has a solid ground.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

valerio wrote:1) Joel was transformed as full adult. I doubt he'd feel the need to stay with his abusive parents, by now (that is, if he's still iving with them at all. Usually, abused children have either left the families or have been separated from them for their own good)
2) I was just hypotizing about the time, sheesh. Rick has proven that he won't left unattended details in his comic, so Tarot's prophecy with Sabrina still has a solid ground.
1) I was using that as a comparison, to point out that you tend to cling to what you know because it's familiar, never mind whether a change might be better for you. And if you do, that better change might prove NOT to be better after all--or at least to SEEM like it's worse. And you didn't address my point that it doesn't solve the problem, it only avoids it. Likewise, choosing to remain King would avoid the problems he left behind as Joel, not solve them. What's to stop KING from getting in trouble with the law if he doesn't shape up?

2) *shrugs*
PF chars

--Phoenix

valerio

Post by valerio »

The whole concept of 'getting a new life' means that you can leave even unsolved matters behind you, if you can live another one and try to make the best of it. Of course, if, as a dog, King would keep doing the wrong things, that would be a total waste.
As a human, he did his share of troubles. Why not let him try a different approach, since he was served this opportunity on a silver plate? He's got much more to lose now that as Joel.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

valerio wrote:The whole concept of 'getting a new life' means that you can leave even unsolved matters behind you, if you can live another one and try to make the best of it. Of course, if, as a dog, King would keep doing the wrong things, that would be a total waste.
As a human, he did his share of troubles. Why not let him try a different approach, since he was served this opportunity on a silver plate? He's got much more to lose now that as Joel.
I disagree--unless you could make AMENDS for those "unsolved matters". Yes, it would, which is my point. Only now does it seem likely that he might try to change....

I don't know....
PF chars

--Phoenix

Vyath

Post by Vyath »

tricky? Image yay! I'm looking forward to it.
irreverent? Image I was kinda hoping for more of a "light-hearted"
strong plot? Image wonderful! I always like a strong plot.

i'm already excited.
Red Ryu

Post by Red Ryu »

Gives room for more established ideas, the watch is a good plot point for later, and helped develop some characters while on the quest for the watch.

All in all I like how this turned out.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If that one comic was put in before the date arc or hinted a resolution until they returned, it probably would save you some headaches =3

I really like endings like this. I can't get the words out of my mind on the name of the kind of ending, but it does give lots of background on how the universe works, but at the same time feel like the real deal as well. Gets you thinking. I personally think he's going to turn human for the same reason he was born human to begin with. Even if life wasn't exactly pleasant.
Rick Griffin "Imaginate" Co. Presents:

The Titanic: Housepets! edition.

Tarot: Oh, you wanted to know the real story behind it? *cue lots of screaming* ...?
Last edited by GameCobra on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

well, I surely hope the final decision is left to a poll between readers.
OK, I like to dream, man! :roll:
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Red Ryu wrote:Gives room for more established ideas, the watch is a good plot point for later, and helped develop some characters while on the quest for the watch.

Like Bino getting ahold of the watch again, an using it like a Voodoo doll?
Holding it over a candle, as king complains that ground is really hot on his foot pads today..
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Congrats to Year Three Rick.

And looks like King will have to make a choice, either accept his dog side or human side.

As much as I like King, all good things much come to a end sometime. (E.g The possibly of King going back to being Joel)
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Morning

*knock knock*

King opens door; sees Cerberus

Stone faced, hands her watch. slams door
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

The only thing the prevents me from enjoying today's strip was the lack of explanation. What did Sasha do? Did she and Bino talk about what happened? Did Fido and Sabrina talked about what happened? How many broken bones did Bino get this time?
But I hope the answers will come soon.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Fido might indeed be privy to Sabrina's secrets.

But I doubt Sasha and Bino did much other talking. I suspect this might drive Sasha and King together. At least I hope so. The King of Hearts ship needs some action. ;3
valerio

Post by valerio »

angelusbr wrote:The only thing the prevents me from enjoying today's strip was the lack of explanation. What did Sasha do? Did she and Bino talk about what happened? Did Fido and Sabrina talked about what happened? How many broken bones did Bino get this time?
But I hope the answers will come soon.
well, yes, I had hoped for something like that -even better, Fox going to King, and them cuddling up for the night while the out-of-field explanation ran. I think that it would have given more appeal to King's final panel. That's why I said 'anticlimatic'
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Kitch wrote:Fido might indeed be privy to Sabrina's secrets. Peanut is privy to Tarot's secrets.

But I doubt Sasha and Bino did much other talking. I suspect this might drive Sasha and King together. At least I hope so. The King of Hearts ship needs some action. ;3
valerio

Post by valerio »

Kitch wrote:Fido might indeed be privy to Sabrina's secrets.

I heartily doubt we'll see KOH anytime soon, for several reasons:

1) King must choose what he will be, human or dog, first.
2) He hasn't shown any form of attraction for Sasha. Rather, he cares for her like a human would do for a friend in need. And that's, incidentally, also part of his walk toward redemption, to care for those animals he had spent his life hating.
3) Sasha girlfriend in a more-or-less stable relationship to anyone else than Bino would be an important change, Rick would handle that with all the precautions and teasing he can. ;)
Reima

Post by Reima »

valerio wrote:
3) Sasha girlfriend in a more-or-less stable relationship to anyone else than Bino would be an important change, Rick would handle that with all the precautions and teasing he can. ;)
Not to mention the fact that Bino already doesn't like King, so knowing that the two are dating will only serve to make things worse for King. He can't really afford to get even further onto Bino's bad side.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Okay, now that I've had more time to think, I may have overreacted a LITTLE. I'm still disappointed though. Rick ended a year on a cliffhanger, something he's never done before, and that kind of hurts. With respect, this character has been around for two years, and I'm wondering, with things having gone as far as they have, WHEN the big moment for him is going to BE. He didn't take this long to resolve the Peanut and Grape tension.

More than that, this story has a bigger urgency than that, and was left on a cliffhanger. A MAN'S SOUL & FATE is, for lack of a better descriptor, serious business.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: Rick, PLEASE don't let King's story arc hang as long as it did last time. I don't want to be preoccupied on this character anymore and be unable to enjoy everything that happens in the meanwhile.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Red Ryu wrote:Gives room for more established ideas, the watch is a good plot point for later, and helped develop some characters while on the quest for the watch.

Pretty much, right? I don't know what's not to like about this arc.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

PhoenixAsper wrote:serious business.
Dude, calm down. It's a story. You can let go for now, and then resume panicking whenever I pick up the thread again.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

rickgriffin wrote:
PhoenixAsper wrote:serious business.
Dude, calm down. It's a story. You can let go for now, and then resume panicking whenever I pick up the thread again.
<sigh> :(

Rick, I'm sorry. I don't have much of a life outside this comic at the present time, so this where I spend most of my days.

I could offer some big long spiel of why I react this way, but why? You're not inclined to believe me, such is the internet's nature. I'll drop it there. :(

EDIT: I don't how to say that without sounding MEAN. :( :( :(
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I think what you mean to say is that you're just one fan out of many, and the internet is full of people with strange problems and viewpoints, and so there isn't really a point to explaining on the forums (as opposed to PMs) in detail what you're like so that someone can understand why you react the way you do, and you fear that someone who isn't the same way (as Rick presumably isn't if he puts in his comic things that make you react negatively) will have a hard time understanding anyway, and may not even be sure that you're telling the truth and not making it up, and you don't want to influence the way he does his own artwork just for your own sake, even though it is affecting you this way.

Is that about right?
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF chars

--Phoenix

PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Yeah, I'd say that's CLOSER to what I was getting at. This is a problem. :(
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

So the next arc starts Monday?
=D
awsome!
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Arcs tend to go through one-offs once they are over for about a week, which is acceptable at this rate. Did i mention i love it when one-offs tease the audience?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just love it when Rick teases us in general.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I don't. :(

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just not at a good time for it.
Last edited by PhoenixAsper on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:I just love it when Rick teases us in general.
this^^
It adds spice to the reading, it makes discussion all the more fun.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I miss Spot, everything was so much simpler back then.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yeah, when all the problems could be solved by punching.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

valerio wrote:
Sleet wrote:I just love it when Rick teases us in general.
this^^
It adds spice to the reading, it makes discussion all the more fun.
I agree as well it makes the comic a lot more fun.
valerio

Post by valerio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:yeah, when all the problems could be solved by punching.
Except for fat. Spot can't punch fat away. :(
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

valerio wrote:Except for fat. Spot can't punch fat away. :(
He can sure give it his best shot, though!
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"